Pt.9

The inside of the cave was dimly lit with torches that lined the walls as Gabrielle and Celine make their way through the hallway-like corridor. Fortunately the cave was fairly linear so there wasn't any risk of them getting lost. Not that it mattered if they did since unbeknownst to Gabrielle, Xena was stealthily following not far behind. And she was pretty good at keeping track of where they were going at all times.

GABRIELLE 
How much further do you think we have to go?

CELINE 
I doubt it will be much further. They'll be hidden but not so hidden that we can't find them.

GABRIELLE 
I guess that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it.

Celine could hear the sadness in Gabrielle's voice as they continued walking.

CELINE 
Don't worry Gabrielle I know everything will work out as it should.

GABRIELLE 
I really wish I shared your optimism Celine.

CELINE 
Then I guess I'll just have to be optimistic enough for the both of us. 

The comment got a small, brief smile from Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks.  

The two kept walking for a bit until Gabrielle heard the distinct sound of a baby's cry. 

GABRIELLE 
Aurora.

Having no doubt that it was Aurora, Gabrielle instantly took off running towards the sound with Celine following right behind.

CELINE 
Gabrielle wait we don't know what might be waiting for us once we get there.

But Gabrielle just ignored Celine's warning. She was far too concerned with getting to her child and making sure she was safe and unharmed. A few moments later they came to the end of the corridor which opened up to a much larger space within the cave. They stopped as Gabrielle quickly looked around the area for Aurora. Then after a moment she spotted a large chair that had been placed on the other side of the corridor. Sitting in the chair was a basket. And in the basket layed baby Aurora wrapped in blanket with her face showing as she cried. Even though she was crying, the baby seemed to be unharmed. Which brought tears of joy and relief to Gabrielle's eyes as she finally found her and Xena's child. It had pure agony for her since Aurora had been taken, not knowing if she was safe or if she'd actually ever see her daughter again. But now there she was just a few feet away and all Gabrielle wanted to do was run over pick Aurora up, hold her and never let her go again. Which she was about to do when she felt Celine grab her arm.

CELINE 
Gabrielle wait a minute. I don't think just running over there's a good idea.

Gabrielle looked at Celine.

GABRIELLE 
Let me go Celine. I’m going to get Aurora.

CELINE 
But look. Don't you think it's weird that her kidnappers have her just sitting out in the open like this? And with no one seemingly around. This whole thing feels really off to me.

GABRIELLE 
Maybe they didn't think I'd be here yet. Plus I don't care. If no ones here we can just take Aurora and get out of here. Now let me go.

Gabrielle tried pulling her arm away but Celine kept her grip firmly on Gabrielle.

CELINE 
I get that you just want your child back but I seriously doubt that her kidnappers are just gonna let you walk out of here with her. It wouldn't surprise me if they were secretly watching us from close by right now.

Gabrielle stopped trying to pull away as she realized that Celine was probably right. Seeing that Gabrielle had calmed down and likely wasn't just going to go running right for Aurora, Celine let go of her arm as the two looked around to see if they could spot anyone hiding nearby but didn't see anything. After a few minutes Gabrielle was out of patience and walked a few steps ahead as she spoke loudly so anyone who might be hiding nearby could hear her while continuously scanning the room for Aurora's kidnapper to make their appearance.

GABRIELLE 
Well i’m here. I've done exactly what you wanted so where are you? I want my child back so show yourself and we can get this over with.

Gabrielle stood there for a moment as she waited for the kidnappers to show themselves. But all she got was silence.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) What kind of sick game are these bastards playing?

Xena scanned the area from her hiding place a little ways off from where Gabrielle and Celine stood for anything that might be a trap of some kind. But she didn't notice anything that seemed out of place. And after a little longer, much like Gabrielle, Xena was becoming very impatient with waiting for Aurora's kidnappers to show themselves. But she knew that they would show up soon. They wouldn't put this much effort into doing something like this only to no follow through with the rest of whatever they had planned. Xena was convinced that making Gabrielle wait was more than likely a part of their plan. More mental and emotional manipulation. This was all just to prolong Gabrielle's suffering. And the fact that anyone could be that cold and heartless towards her only served to enrage Xena even further than she already was. As she silently vowed that once the kidnappers finally revealed themselves she was going to make them pay for everything they had put Gabrielle and herself through.

GABRIELLE 
If you're here please just come out so we can settle this. I just want Aurora to be safe. So whatever you want from me it's yours.

Again Gabrielle got no response as she looked at Celine.

GABRIELLE 
I'm starting to think that no one's here, so i’m gonna take the chance and go for Aurora. You stay here and keep watch.

Gabrielle began to move towards the baby when Celine stopped her again.

GABRIELLE 
Celine let me go.

Gabrielle struggled to get free from Celine's grip.

CELINE 
Gabrielle I think this might be a trap. If you get near her who knows what might happen.

Gabrielle continued to try getting Celine off of her.

GABRIELLE 
I don't care anymore. Aurora's right there and I not letting you or some trap stop me from getting my child back.

Suddenly Gabrielle stopped trying to get free when she heard a voice come from behind the large chair where Aurora was layed.

?
Oh but you should listen to her Gabrielle because she's right, this is a trap.

From her hiding place Xena scowled as she slowily moved her hand to rest on her chakrum. Ready to throw it as soon as the moment was right as she kept a close watch over everything. As she felt her anger grow emencely when she saw a figure slowly walking out from behind the large chair where Aurora layed. Recognizing them immediately. As did Gabrielle, who was in complete disbelief at who was standing before her with a sick, satisfied grin on their face as they continued to speak.

?
And a very good one too if I do say so myself. 

GABRIELLE 
I don't believe this. You're Aurora's kidnapper?

Aurora's kidnapper laughed a bit before returning to having an evil smile on their face.

?
(Sinister tone) Surprise.

 

Pt.10

Xena growled to herself as she forced herself to steadily her hand from launching her chakrum right then and there. She hadn't even considered the possibility of this being Aurora's kidnapper. Which while it answered a couple questions, it also brought up several others. And Xena fully planned on getting those answers. One way or another. Meanwhile Gabrielle just shook her head in disbelief as she felt a multitude of emotions. Shock, anger, confusion all aimed at the reveal of the true identity of Aurora's kidnapper. Finally after the initial shock wore off Gabrielle started demanding answers from the person standing across from her.

GABRIELLE 
Kai? How? Why? You're supposed to be exiled from entering any Amazonian lands.

 KAI
Oh don't worry I wouldn't dare step foot back in that village after the way my so called sisters and friends i’ve spent my whole life around just turned their backs on me. And chose to side with you who at the time they’ve only known for a number of months.

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE 
You sided with someone who tried to kill their queen and friend because you wanted revenge on Xena for her past against the Amazon's that didn't even directly effect you. 

KAI
(Angry tone) Because of you and Xena I lost the only home and family I've ever known.

GABRIELLE 
You chose your own actions Kai. And sentencing you to exile was extremely lenient considering you were part of an assassination plot on an Amazonian queen. You know full well that by law you should've been executed.

KAI
That's your fault for not finishing the job. Huh I guess Valassca was really right after all. You're terrible at being a ruler. Anyone who was actually smart would've gotten rid of me then and there to stop the risk of any future retaliation.

Xena couldn't believe that Kai was the one who had kidnapped Aurora. She silently chastised herself for not even considering the possibility that it could've been her. But then again she was exiled from the village. And Aurora was taken in broad daylight. Which caused Xena to wonder just how Kai had managed to pull it off without having anyone having seen her. She shouldn't have even been able to enter the village. Or get near it without the scouts or guards noticing. Which made Xena come to the conclusion that Kai must've had help. And likely from someone within the village. But who?

GABRIELLE 
How did you even know about Aurora anyway?

KAI 
The same way I was able to get her in the first place?

GABRIELLE 
Which is?

KAI 
I've had someone watching you from within the village. So I know all about what's been happening since I left. The new Amazon's who are living in the village. Xena's pregnancy. The fact that you and that bitch Xena have a child together now thanks to Artemis. All of it.

Gabrielle couldn't believe it. Someone else in the village, another one of her friends had been lying this whole time. As much as Gabrielle didn't want it to be true, there wasn't any other way to explain how Kai could've known everything she did. Or have been able to take Aurora. But who could it have been and why? And just what else was Kai planning?

GABRIELLE 
Why do this Kai? You could've just moved on. 

KAI 
(Angry tone) Moved on? I’m an exiled Amazon with no tribe to call home. Because of you and Xena I lost everything that mattered to me. I wandered alone for a long time. I tried setting in a couple village's and towns but once I revealed myself to be an Amazon I always ended up getting far too much unwanted attention from the men around. Which I certainly did not want. But unfortunately alot of those men had wives who accused me of trying to steal their husband's. So to avoid further problems i’d leave and try to find somewhere else I could live. But it was always the same.

GABRIELLE 
Couldn't you have just kept your Amazonian identity hidden?

KAI
(Angry tone) I am a proud, Amazonian woman and I will not pretend to be anything else. You my have taken my home and my tribe from me. But I refuse to allow you, Xena or anyone else take away who I am.

Xena rolled her eyes at Kai’s story. Even if everything she said was true. Xena felt that ka had only brought it on herself. She had tried to kill Gabrielle after all.

GABRIELLE 
Okay. But that still doesn't explain how you managed to do any of this.

KAI
Well one day as I continued to wonder I was attacked by a group of rampaging harpies. Apparently I had stumbled into their hunting grounds and they had chosen me as their next meal. I tried to fight them off, but there was just too many. I ended up getting severely injured and thought it was the end for me. 

XENA 
(Thinking angerly to herself) Oh give me a break with this ridiculous sob story. I really hope Gabrielle isn't buying this crap.

KAI 
That is until group of other Amazon's showed up. They had been hunting in the area and noticed the harpies attacking me. Once they chased the creatures away they brought me back to their village and treated my wounds. I tried to tell one of them that I was exiled and couldn't enter Amazonian territory. But she said that my injuries were serious and I needed to be treated or i’d die. So she insisted that we keep my exile statues between just the two of us. At least until I was well enough to leave.

GABRIELLE 
I know you probably don't believe me but for what it's worth i’m sorry you went through that.  

KAI 
Ha you're apology is worth less to me than a pile of horse crap.

Kai’s response had severely diminished any feelings of sympathy Gabrielle had for the exiled Amazon's struggle.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Fine then maybe you can tell me how you went from being injured by harpies to kidnapping my daughter.

KAI 
Well all while I was recovering all I could think of was how you and Xena had put me in that position. And though I didn't know how yet, I swore that I would make you both pay. It was around that time that I had befriended one of the hunters that had saved me. Over the months we learned a lot about one another. Apparently not long before I was brought to the village, the young woman had learned that her mother had died. Though she hadn't seen her in a while it was still hard on her. So I decided to take her under my wing. After all she had been so kind to me. I felt this strange kinship between us. Almost as if was were supposed to have met.

CELINE 
That's quite the story.

KAI 
Isn't it?

Gabrielle looked at Celine.

GABRIELLE 
What do you think Celine? Because I don't think i’m completely buying this. It doesn't explain how Kai got to Aurora.

KAI 
Oh but it does. Especially once the young woman learned the truth about how her mother died.

GABRIELLE 
But what does that have to do with any of this?

KAI 
Because I knew the girls mother and what happened to her. And believe me once she learned the truth she was not happy. So I told her that since she had saved my life I could help her get revenge on those responsible for her mother's death.

GABRIELLE 
And let me guess you told her it was Xena and myself.
(Angry tone) You lied to that poor girl just so you could get your revenge. 

KAI 
But I didn't lie. Xena did kill her mother. And you were to blame. I should know. I mean I was there if you remember.

Once Xena heard those words she got a very terrible feeling as she figured out who the girls mother must've been. It was at that same time that Gabrielle had the very same epiphany.

GABRIELLE 
Valassca.

 

Pt.11

Gabrielle was stunned by a second revelation that Kai had just revealed.

GABRIELLE 
Valassca had a daughter? I never knew that she had any children. I wonder why I didn't know that.

KAI
I’m not surprised. Apparently no one really did. But once I told her that you and Xena were responsible for her mother's death, well let's just say she couldn't wait to meet you.

GABRIELLE 
You're lying. If Valassca's daughter wanted revenge as bad as you say then where is she? Ibet you're making this whole thing up to try and trick me. Because if any of this was true, if Valassca's daughter wanted revenge so badly wouldn't she be here.?

KAI
Oh no Valassca's daughter is here. Infact she's been right under your nose this whole time. And you didn't even know it. Isn't that right… Celine?

GABRIELLE 
Wha..?

Gabrielle looked over at Celine in shock. Then looked back at Kai.

GABRIELLE 
You're lying.

KAI 
Am I?

Gabrielle turned back to Celine.

GABRIELLE 
Celine?

Celine didn't say anything as she smirked and walked over to stand beside Kai.

GABRIELLE 
Celine? You're Valassca's daughter?

Celine lost her smile as she scowled at Gabrielle.

CELINE 
That's right everything Kai just told you is all true. Valassca was my mother. My hunting party did find Kai injured and on the brink of death. We became friends. And then once she learned who I was she told me all about what you and Xena did to my mother.

GABRIELLE 
Listen to me Celine I don't know just what Kai told you but she lied to you.

CELINE 
Did she? Because the last time I heard from her she was just fine and living in Kai’s village with you, Xena and all the others. She would send me letters about life in the village. But then out of nowhere the letters stopped. I didn't know what happened until I met Kai. She told me what happened. How you stole my mother's place as queen. Then when she tried to take it back you and Xena killed her.

GABRIELLE 
Your mother went mad and tried to murder me. Her death was in self defense.

Celine scoffed not believing Gabrielle.

KAI 
Well it's not like what you say really matters any way. Now that you're here both Celine and I can finally have our revenge. 

GABRIELLE 
And just what do you plan on doing Kai kill me?

KAI
Actually yes. We’ll kill you, take the kid and then Xena will finally know what it feels like to lose everything she cares about. It's a pretty simple but effective plan nonetheless. 

The reality of everything finally sank in for Gabrielle as she had a another realization.

GABRIELLE 
Celine you were the one who took Aurora in the first place weren't you?

CELINE
I did. I honestly thought you might suspect me right away, but that was why I worked so hard on getting close to you. Honestly this whole thing was Kai’s brilliant idea. Though the plan was pretty poetic don't you think? You and Xena took my mother from me. So I took your daughter.

GABRIELLE 
Look Celine you want you're revenge on me fine. Just please let Aurora go. She's just a baby. She has nothing to do with this.

Celine sighed.

CELINE 
How noble. A mother willing to sacrifice herself for her child. Sorry but no I want you to feel the same kind of pain I felt from having someone you love taken from you.

KAI 
I only wish Xena was here so I could see the look on her face when she learns that the two people she loves more than anything areabout to be ripped away from her forever.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Then consider your wish granted.

Xena stepped out from her hiding spot, drawing her sword as she stared down Kai and Celine. Kai glared over at Celine.

KAI 
(Angry tone) What's she doing here?

CELINE 
I tried to get Gabrielle to come alone but Xena refused to stay behind. I should tell you that there's another one waiting outside too.

KAI 
Why am I not surprised. This is Xena we're talking about after all.

Kai looked at Xena.

KAI 
Oh well I guess it doesn't really matter. She wouldn't dare do anything now that she knows that both her child and Gabrielle are at risk. No she might've been a cold hearted bitch at one point but now she actually cares about people. Too bad that doesn't make up for everything that she's done.

Xena didn't take her eyes off Celine or Kai as she held ber blade ready.

XENA 
I’m not gonna let you do this.

KAI 
Uh, uh, uh. If you care about you daughter's well being then I suggest you drop your sword right now.

XENA 
You would kill a baby.

KAI 
(Sinister tone) Do you really wanna find out?

Xena growled as she tightened her grip on her blades handle. Gabrielle stood watching the stand off as Kai slowly pulled out a dagger and glanced towards where Aurora layed.

CELINE 
Well Xena?

Finally after several tense moments Xena relented and tossed her sword to the ground not wanting to gamble her child's life on whether or not Kai and Celine were actually depraved enough to murder a child. Xena then stood there as she began to try formulating a plan to take both Kai and Celine down.

KAI 
That thing on your side too. You're chakrum or whatever you call it.

Xena scowled having hoped that they would have forgotten about her other weapon as she took her chakrum from her hip and left it with her sword.

KAI 
Good. You too Gabrielle lose the staff.

Gabrielle obeyed and tossed her staff aside. Kai motioned for Celine to gather up Xena and Gabrielle's weapons. Once unarmed Xena was tied to one of the caves stalagmites. Celine chuckled as she slapped Xena across the face when she finished making sure the rope was tied good and tight. The only response she got in return was an icy glare from Xena who was seething withrage inside.

CELINE 
Now you get to watch as Gabrielle pays for what you both have done.

XENA 
I wouldn't underestimate Gabrielle if I were you. Just ask Kai.

KAI 
Oh don't worry Xena I've learned from everything I've seen Gabrielle make it through. So trust me i’m fully aware of what she's capable of. Which is why I don't plan on taking her lightly. 

Kai looked at Gabrielle.

KAI
Dispite seeming completely incapable on the surface, When push comes to shove Gabrielle actually has some fight in her. Which was why I had her drop her weapon too.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry/ Sarcasm) I'm flattered.

XENA 
So what you're gonna force me to watch as the two of you gain up on Gabrielle.

KAI 
Oh please Xena unlike you i’m not a monster.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) You could've fooled me.

Angerd by Xena's comment, Kai punched Xena hard in the face..

KAI 
(Angry tone) I'm nothing like you!

Xena shook off the hit as she spit out a bit of blood from her now split lip.

KAI 
Now as I was saying. Unlike Xena Celine and myself are decent people. So that's why I'm going to let Celine handle Gabrielle on her own. I'm just gonna sit back and watch the show.

XENA 
You're not getting away with this. Either of you.

KAI 
That's where you're wrong Xena. Because as long as I have your child there's nothing you can do to stop us.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy