Pt. 10

The already fridged temperature continued to plummet, with the bitter, icy wind keeping up its head on assault as Gabrielle ducked her head to try and keep the wind from hitting her directly in the face. Aurora cried as the thick blankets were no longer working to keep the little girl warm. They had been traveling for a long time now and Gabrielle still didn't see any signs of civilization anywhere. The sun was beginning to set which meant that the climate would only continue on its downward trajectory. Gabrielle knew that there was no way that they would be able to survive the night out in the open like they were. She desperately needed to find a shelter of some kind and she needed to do it soon. However, Gabrielle was finding it extremely difficult to focus on anything but the shivering child in her arms and the numbness that had begun to set in on her hands that had needed to be exposed to the harsh elements between holding Aroura and steering Arrian as the horse grew slower with the ever-deepening snow and he too became increasingly affected by the artic like environment. 

GABRIELLE
Come on Arrian. I know it's cold and you're tired buddy but we have to keep going. 

The steed snorted in response as he slowly pushed onward. A particularly icy gust of wind blew that felt as though it cut right through Gabrielle and caused Aurora to cry.

GABRIELLE
(thinking to herself) I could've been sentenced to death like Xena and it would've been less cruel than this. And to think they would subject an innocent child to this. We're as good as dead out here. I don't even know where I'm going right now because of this storm. 

Gabrielle tried to comfort Aurora as she tried to think of anything she could do to keep the toddler at least a little warmer. After a moment Gabrielle got an idea and stopped Arrian as she opened her coat and needed a moment to catch her breath as the wind hit her chest and sent a deep chill down to her bones. Gabrielle pushed through the extreme discomfort as she pulled Aurora close and then closed the coat around the both of them. Hoping that the extra layer of clothing and her body heat would be enough for the time being to keep the child at least a little warmer. Though Gabrielle's heart broke knowing that she couldn't do anything more for her daughter as she felt Aurora shivering against her. 

GABRIELLE
Unfortunately, this is the best mommy can do right now Aurora. I'm sorry. Just hold on. I'll find somewhere for us to get out of this storm soon. 
(talking to herself) Gods I hope so. 

Gabrielle then got Arrian going again and they continued onward for a while. The snow continued to pile up and become increasingly deep as Gabrielle urged Arrian forward at an ever slower pace. The steed struggled to push through the growing level of snow with his passengers on his back. That is until finally,. Arrian just stopped walking.

GABRIELLE
Come on boy we can't stop here. 

The steed just shook the snow off of his head and snorted as he stood in place. 

GABRIELLE
I know you're cold and tired, but we have to keep going. 

Gabrielle gave his sides a nudge with her boots for him to go, but still, Arrian wouldn't budge. 

GABRIELLE
Arrian come on. 

The steed snorted as Gabrielle tried to get him to move again and failed. She then looked down and noticed just how deep the snow had gotten and knew that it must have become too difficult for Arrian to carry them and safely walk. She patted his neck. 

GABRIELLE
Sorry boy I didn't notice the snow had gotten this deep. 
(thinking to herself) As if this wasn't already bad enough. 

Now left with no other choice Gabrielle held Aurora as she got down from the saddle and stood in the snow that came nearly up to her knees. 

GABRIELLE
This is insane. How am I supposed to keep going like this? We're gonna die out here. 

She heard Aurora whimper beneath her coat and knew that she didn't have any other choice but to keep moving. She had already nearly lost Aurora once when she was kidnapped and felt her maternal instincts kick into high gear at the thought of not being able to protect her and Xena's child again. Gabrielle's mind flashed back to the struggle she faced after she was injured and nearly dying as a result. That was the whole reason she was in this situation. Having given Xena the title of queen as she felt at the time and still did, that she would be a good choice to rule over the Amazons. Then Gabrielle remembered what she had gone through before she and Xena were married. Her feelings of inadequacy after nearly dying and placing Xena in a position that she didn't really want, but took on anyway for Gabrielle. So much had changed in the near year that had passed since. Thanks to Xena, Gabrielle had once again found herself and knew the true strength that she held within. And right now that was the strength that Gabrielle needed to tap into if she had any hope of getting Aurora and herself through this situation and finding a way to save Xena. So with nothing but sheer will and determination, though technically no longer queen, Gabrielle flipped that switch within herself as she entered what she referred to as her "queen mode" as she went to that place where she set her focus solely on whatever needed to be done and shut out everything else in her mind that might slow her down or prevent her from doing what she had to do. So with a tug on Arrian's reins, Gabrielle held Aurora tight as she stepped forward. 

GABRIELLE
(commanding voice) Let's go Arrian. 

When the horse didn't move Gabrielle looked back at him. 

GABRIELLE
(commanding voice) Now. Or you can stay here and freeze. 

Arrian snorted as Gabrielle took another step forward and felt the reins slack a little as the steed followed. Gabrielle continued forward through the storm with Aurora in her arms and Arrian trailing close behind. She certainly didn't want to leave the horse to fend for himself, but if she had to Gabrielle would have left him behind if he didn't follow. She was going to get Aurora somewhere safe and warm and was not going to let a stubborn animal stop her. Her child obviously taking first priority over anything else. 

CLOVER
Yes, I think that will work perfectly. 

Clover looked up as she heard the door of the village hall open and Ephiny came in from the storm. She shook off the snow from her cloak as she called up to the table where Clover sat. 

CLOVER
Sounds like it's gotten pretty bad out there. 

EPHINY
It has. 

Ephiny placed her hands on the table as she stared at the woman across from her. 

EPHINY
Someone needs to go after Gabrielle. 

CLOVER
Are crazy? No one can go out in this. 

EPHINY
(angry tone) And yet you people sent her and her young child out in this mess. 

CLOVER
That's what she gets for going against her own people and keeping who Xena really is a secret from everyone. 

EPHINY
(angry tone) What's wrong with you? Regulations of what Gabrielle or Xena might have done, their child is innocent and you would just leave her out there to die. 

CLOVER
And what would you rather have me do? Kick Gabrielle out and keep Aurora here with us.  I don't think she would've gone for that, do you? Especially after what happened with Kai and Celine kidnapping her a while back. 

EPHINY
(angry tone) So you think sending her out to freeze to death was the only other option? 

Clover sighed. 

CLOVER
Look Ephiny, I get that you're pretty close to both Gabrielle and Xena, but what did you want me to do? We couldn't let her stay here after what she did. 

EPHINY
(angry tone) That's a load of horse shit and you know it, Clover. What you did is completely wrong. Sending Gabrielle out there in this is as much of a death sentence as whatever you plan on doing to Xena. They were your friends, how can you possibly be this cruel towards them? 

CLOVER
(angry tone) And this is exactly why we blocked you from becoming queen Ephiny. I'm starting to wonder where you're loyalties actually lay. To us or those two traitors? 

Ephiny scowled. 

EPHINY
(angry tone) My loyalty is where it always has been. To the greater good of our people. And what's happening here, is not it. 

With that, Ephiny stood up straight and turned to leave. 

CLOVER
(angry tone) Then if you don't like it you can leave. 

EPHINY
I was already planning on it. After Xena's Execution. if I can't stop you from going through with it. 

CLOVER
Trust me, you can't. So in that case you'll be happy to know that you won't have to wait much longer because the preparations are nearly done. That bitch only has a few short days in this life left. 

Ephiny scowled at Clover as she said nothing and turned away. Storming back outside and angrily slamming the door behind her as she left. 

XENA
(thinking to herself) It's getting worse out there. Damn it! Gabrielle, Aurora, please, please just be okay. 

Xena was pulled from her thoughts as she heard someone coming her way. She moved towards the cell door and waited until they were just about in view before quickly shooting her arm between the bars, grabbing the woman before she even had time to react. Xena then pulled her hard against the other side of the cell door and wrapped her hand around the woman's throat. 

EPHINY
(Gasping) Xena, it's just me. 

Realizing who it was, Xena immediately let go as Ephiny gasped and rubbed her throat as she turned around to face her. 

XENA
Sorry. I thought you were Clover or one of the guards. 

EPHINY
Yeah well given everything I guess I can't exactly blame you. 

XENA
Well anyway, I'm glad you're here. It sounds like it's getting really bad out there. 

EPHINY
You don't know the half of it. 

Xena raised her eyebrow. 

XENA
I was talking about the weather but I'm assuming you're not. 

EPHINY
I just dropped by to see what Clover was up to and she says that the final preparations for your execution are just about done. 

XENA
She makes it sound like it's so difficult to kill someone. 

EPHINY
If that someone is you, it is. 

XENA
Well, it's not like that matters right now anyway. There's something much more important I wanted to talk to you about. 

EPHINY
I'm assuming this has something to do with your comment on the storm a moment ago.

XENA
Yes. I need to ask you to do something. It's dangerous and you could possibly die, but I wouldn't ask if I had any other option. 

EPHINY
I know you're worried about Gabrielle and Aurora but believe me, Xena I've tried to come up with some way of getting you out of here. But I just don't see any way to do it that won't end up with half of this village dead. Along with me and you either being killed with the others or severely injured and as good as dead anyway.

XENA
No, I already know that. I've accepted the fact that I'm probably not making it out of here alive. 

EPHINY
Okay, then what were you gonna ask? 

XENA
I need you to go find Gabrielle and Aurora. They're out in that storm with nowhere to go. 

EPHINY
How? It's a blizzard out there. And even if I do find them where are we supposed to go?  It's not like I can bring them back here. 

Xena thought for a moment. 

XENA
There's a city not too far from here. Unfortunately, Gabrielle and I never visited it together, so she likely doesn't know about it.

EPHINY
Still, isn't there a chance that she already found it on her own? Or someplace else even? 

XENA
Yes but not likely. While it's not extremely far, it's still not the easiest place to get to. Especially in the snow. And in this weather getting anywhere further would be impossible. 

EPHINY
I'm not saying I won't do it, but how do you expect me to even find them? 

XENA
You're an Amazon, aren't you supposed to be good at tracking? 

EPHINY
I'm a warrior, Xena. Tracking isn't exactly my area of expertise. 

XENA
Ephiny, please. I've done so much wrong. Things that I could never make up for.  And I know that I don't deserve to have anything as good as Gabrielle and Aurora in my life. But even more so they don't deserve to have to suffer because of me. Aurora is just a child who never asked to be born into this. And Gabrielle has already been through so much just for being with someone like me. And yet she somehow sees the good in choosing a life with me. Even after everything she stays. So I know I'm asking a lot, but please don't let the people I love most pay for the things I've done any more than they already have. 

Ephiny could see the desperation in Xena's eyes and knew that Xena would rather be dead than go on living without the two people who meant more to her than anything. And if she did escape this village only to find that Gabrielle and Aurora had died, Xena would never forgive herself. And honestly, Ephiny had no idea what Xena might do. After all, Ephiny had seen Xena lose it and go to a very dark place when it looked as though Gabrielle had died on several occasions. And if Xena were to lose both the love of her life and the child they share, well Ephiny didn't wanna think of what Xena might do. Especially to Clover and anyone else she would deem responsible. Or to herself. And it was because of that and Ephiny's friendship with both Xena and Gabrielle that Ephiny knew she knew what she had to do. 

EPHINY
Okay, Xena. I'll find them and make sure they're both safe. I promise. 

XENA
Thanks, Ephiny. I don't know how I can ever repay you for everything. 

Ephiny smiled as she turned to leave. 

EPHINY
Hey, you two might not be my queen anymore, but Gabrielle is still a very good friend. And they never took Aurora's status of princess away, so if anyone asks I'm just doing my job to protect Amazonian royalty. 

With that Ephiny left Xena, quickly packed and dressed as warmly as she could before leaving the village on Argo, who Xena had told her to take due to knowing the more could handle snow and cold pretty well. And she was a highly intelligent animal who Xena was certain could help Ephiny locate and save Gabrielle and Aurora. And as Ephiny galloped out of the village on Argo, Xena sat in her cell alone waiting for her execution as she hoped that her wife and child wouldn't meet their end before she was supposed to. 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy