Pt.13

The warmth of the sunlight gently settled on Gabrielle's face as she slowly began to stir. Still not completely awake, she noticed that she felt oddly warm. For a moment she thought it was due to one of the possible stages of hypothermia, but as soon as she began to become more aware of her surroundings, Gabrielle realized that she was in an unfamiliar room laying in bed beneath a thick layer of several blankets. She sat up as she looked around the room for Aurora and to try and figure out where she was. 

GABRIELLE
Aurora? 

After a moment Gabrielle noticed that Aurora was nowhere to be seen and fear of what might have happened to her quickly began to settle in. Fearing for her child's wellbeing, Gabrielle threw the covers off of her and got out of bed. She hurried to the door of the small room and was just about to reach for the knob when it opened towards her and she quickly hopped back and stood ready to demand answers for where her daughter was. However, her worry instantly vanished when she saw a very welcome but surprising sight standing in the doorway. 

GABRIELLE
Ephiny? 

Ephiny smiled. 

EPHINY
Good to see you're finally awake. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you were just panicking a bit and looking for this one here. 

Ehpiny nodded towards Aurora who she was holding in her arms as the toddler smiled, happy to see her mommy. Gabrielle gave a relieved smile as Ephiny handed her the little girl. 

EPHINY
And don't worry, I had her looked at and she's completely fine. No frostbite or any other lasting effects from being exposed to such harsh conditions. 

Gabrielle held Aurora close and kissed the top of her head as she felt an incredible wave of relief rush over her.  

EPHINY
You on the other hand came very close to leaving this world...  again. I swear when it comes to you and Xena,  I've never seen two people cheat death as often as the both of you do. 

GABRIELLE
How long was I unconscious? 

EPHINY
Not even a day. Given everything I'm honestly surprised that you're already awake. 

Gabrielle looked at Ephiny with a saddened expression and Ephiny realized what she had said seemed highly insensitive due to the situation of Xena being sentenced to die soon. That is if Xena's execution hadn't been carried out already since Ephiny left the village. 

EPHINY
Sorry, I didn't mean... 

GABRIELLE
It's okay I know what you meant. 

Gabrielle carried Aurora over to the bed and sat on the edge with the little girl on her lap. She then looked at Ephiny as she held back the tears that were building behind her eyes, remembering Ephiny telling her that she would bring her Xena's body after the execution had been carried out. 

GABRIELLE
Did she suffer? 

Ephiny gave Gabrielle a confused look, not getting what Gabrielle was talking about. Though she assumed it must have been Gabrielle's concern for Aurora being out in the cold. 

EPHINY
Well, I'm sure it wasn't comfortable, but you did your best to protect her. 

GABRIELLE
But did I? 

EPHINY
Given the situation, you did everything you could do. 

Gabrielle couldn't hold back her tears any longer as she broke down and cried. Her heart, broken at the thought of now having to go on without Xena. Everything had happened so quickly back in the village before she had time to process the looming reality of Xena being killed by the people she once thought of as friends. And before she knew it she had been forced into survival mode while out in the brutal climate with Aurora. But now with their child safe,  Gabrielle found herself finally being hit with the grief of losing the one and only person that she knew she would ever love as deeply as she loved Xena. Even knowing it was coming, Gabrielle had hoped that somehow, someway they would find a way to save her before it was too late. But now those hopes seemed meaningless as Gabrielle felt the pain of now facing a life without Xena at her side. Ephiny was now even more confused as she saw Gabrielle begin to cry. She walked over and sat beside Gabrielle on the bed as she tried to figure out what was wrong. 

EPHINY
Gabrielle? 

Before Ephiny could finish Gabrielle spoke. 

GABRIELLE
What am I gonna do Ephiny? Aside from Aurora now, she's been everything to me for so long. I don't know how I'm supposed to go on without her. I loved her more than I ever imagined I could've loved anyone. And now she's gone. 

It was then that Ephiny finally caught on to what Gabrielle was saying and felt awful when she realized her mistake in misunderstanding what she had been talking about. She then quickly moved to correct the heartbreaking miscommunication as she remembered telling Gabrielle that she would find her after Xena's sentence had been carried out to bring her Xena's body. Which had been why Gabrielle had assumed that Xena was dead. 

EPHINY
No, no Gabrielle the last I saw her Xena was still alive and well. Or as well as someone who's imprisoned and waiting to be killed can be I suppose. 

Gabrielle sniffed as she looked at Ephiny, unsure if she had heard her correctly or if it was just wishful thinking on her part. 

GABRIELLE
Wait, you mean you're not here with Xena's body? 

EPHINY
No. When I left the Village, Xena was still being held in her cell. I thought you were still worrying about Aurora being out in the cold. Although I should have figured you were talking about Xena just now. Sorry, I didn't mean to put you through that for no reason. 

Hearing that Ephiny wasn't there to deliver Xena's body, Gabrielle breathed another huge sigh of relief. Xena hadn't been executed. Or not yet at least as far as Ephiny knew. Gabrielle dried her eyes as she smiled at her friend. 

GABRIELLE
You have no idea how happy I am to hear that. 

EPHINY
I can guess. 

Happy and relieved that Xena was still alive, Gabrielle now found herself confused as to why Ephiny was there if not to deliver Xena's body. 

GABRIELLE
Not that I'm not happy to see you but if Xenas is still alive, what are you doing here? And for that matter how did me and Aurora even get here? 

Gabrielle then vaguely remembered being wrapped up, riding on Argo, and thinking it was Xena who had saved her and Aurora. 

GABRIELLE
Was that all a dream?  

EPHINY
Was what a dream? 

GABRIELLE
I feel like I remember being on Argo. At the time I thought Xena had somehow gotten free and found us. But I'm guessing it was actually you who found us. But how?

EPHINY
Slow down I get that you clearly have a lot of questions. Let me try to explain. 

Ephiny told Gabrielle that it was Xena who had asked her to find Gabrielle and Aurora to help make sure they made it through the blizzard and got somewhere safe. And that she had suggested for Ephiny to take Argo due to the mare's superior conditioning. Which Xena had been right to do so because not only would Ephiny have likely not found Gabrielle and Aurora, but she herself probably wouldn't have made it through the storm. 

EPHINY
Which brings us here. You're lucky Argo led me to you when she did because too much longer out there and you and Aurora wouldn't be here. And in case you were wondering you're horse is also safe and sound in the stables with Argo as we speak.

Gabrielle smiled and shook her head in disbelief. 

GABRIELLE
Remind me to get that horse a bunch of apples and sweet grass later. 

EPHINY
She certainly is Xena's horse without a doubt. 

Gabrielle and Ephiny chuckled for a moment before Gabrielle's face returned to sporting a serious expression as she remembered her encounter with Alti while she was trying to take shelter from the storm. 

GABRIELLE
Oh no. 

Gabrielle sat Aurora on the bed as she stood up and began grabbing her usual clothes that she noticed lying out. After reaching the city and getting a couple of rooms at the local inn, Ephiny had helped get the semi-conscious Gabrielle out of the outfit due to it being soaked through and cold and into dry, warm clothes before putting her exhausted friend to bed and doing the same for Aurora. Ephiny noticed the quick change in Gabrielle's expression and assumed it was Gabrielle going back to worrying about Xena before turning around to give Gabrielle some privacy while she got changed. 

EPHINY
There might be still time to save Xena Gabrielle. I know it doesn't look good and I don't know how yet but we'll figure something out...  Hopefully. 

Gabrielle spoke as she continued getting dressed. 

GABRIELLE
It's not that. Well, it is. Obviously, I have to find a way to save Xena if we're not already... 

Gabrielle stopped herself from continuing that thought as she knew that they didn't have time for her to break down again at the thought of losing Xena. There were other important matters at hand that they needed to deal with.

GABRIELLE
But that's not the only thing I'm worried about right now. 

EPHINY
Clover and the others? Don't worry we'll figure out how to deal with them. 

Gabrielle finished getting into her clothes and moved past Ephiny as she grabbed her boots and sat back on the bed to put them on as Ephiny turned back to face her after seeing that she was dressed.

GABRIELLE
No, Alti.

EPHINY
Alti?  Isn't that the woman we encountered during the hunting trip who showed us those visions?

GABRIELLE
Yeah. I mean we have to figure out what to do about Clover and everyone else too, but right now aside from Xena Alti needs to be our main focus. 

EPHINY
What about her? You know other than the fact that this whole thing is basically her fault. 

Gabrielle looked up at Ephiny as she tied the laces to her boots. 

GABRIELLE
Ephiny you have no idea just how right you are about that. 

EPHINY
Gabrielle, I think we might be having some confusion in our communication again here. 

Now fully dressed, Gabrielle stood. 

GABRIELLE
I saw her when I was out there. She just showed up and started taunting me. But that wasn't the part that concerns me. It was what else she said. 

EPHINY
Which was? 

GABRIELLE
She said something about there being something in the village she wanted. She didn't say what it was or how she knew it was there, only that she wanted to prevent Xena and myself from getting in her way and possibly stopping her. 

EPHINY
Wait how does she even know about that place at all? 

GABRIELLE
I have no idea, but the point is that somehow Alti knows about it and she's after something that's there. And if it was enough to draw her attention, it must be something important. And something that we can't let her get her hands on. 

Gabrielle walked over and grabbed her coat that was hanging up as Ephiny stood. 

EPHINY
Wait a minute you're not thinking of going back to the village right now, are you? 

Gabrielle carried her coat as she walked back over to Ephiny. 

GABRIELLE
I have to. Everyone there is in danger. And if there's any chance that Xena is still alive, I have to stop them from killing her. 

EPHINY
Gabrielle, you just woke up from barely surviving the conditions out there. You're in no condition to be going anywhere right now. 

GABRIELLE
I don't care. I can't just sit here and do nothing while Alti does whatever she has planned. And besides I never should've even left Xena alone there to begin with. 

EPHINY 
You know they probably would have killed you if you had fought to stay or helped Xena escape. 

GABRIELLE
Still, I should've done more. 

EPHINY
You did what you thought was best for Aurora. If you had stayed and they killed you, what then? What would've happened to her with both of her parents dead?

GABRIELLE
You and your logic. You know that's pretty much what Xena said before I left. That we needed to think about Aurora's well-being first and foremost. Not that I disagree with that fact, obviously, her safety takes priority over everything else, I just... 

Gabrielle paused as she found herself at a very rare loss for words as Ephiny placed a friendly and comforting hand on her shoulder. 

EPHINY
It's okay, Nothing about any of this has been easy. I know that even given the situation, you still can't help but feel guilty for leaving Xena in the village like that. And honestly, I can't say I'd feel any different if I were in your position right now. But dwelling on that right now won't change or help anything. You did all you could do for Xena and what was best for your daughter. You did the right thing and you know that's exactly what Xena wanted. 

GABRIELLE
I know. And thanks for understanding. But the fact that I couldn't do anything then is all the more reason why I have to go back now. 

EPHINY
I'm afraid I'm not following your logic on this one.

GABRIELLE
Because while I couldn't before, now I think I might be able to figure out a way to fix everything. 

EPHINY
Okay? Care to explain? 

GABRIELLE
No time right now we have to get ready and get out of here. 

Gabrielle glanced over at the window and saw that it was a sunny day as she moved to grab her bag that was sitting on a chair. 

GABRIELLE
The weather looks decent right now so it would be smart to get moving as soon as possible.

Gabrielle moved and began getting Aurora all bundled up in her warm clothing and blankets. 

EPHINY
So should I just assume that there's no talking you out of this? 

GABRIELLE
Nope. 

Gabrielle stopped dressing Aurora as she looked at Ephiny. 

GABRIELLE
Don't try stopping me Ephiny. I'm going back to save Xena and then we're gonna stop Alti and save the village. If you don't wanna risk being caught in bad weather again, I understand if you don't come with me. In fact, if you don't I'm tempted to ask you to watch Aurora. I'd rather not have to run the risk of anything happening to her. 

EPHINY
Oh no, I'm not staying here while you travel back to that village on your own. Xena sent me out here to make sure you and Aurora were safe. So if anything happened to you either on the way or once you got back and Xena found out, she would stay alive just to kill me. Or if they do kill her I'd be spending the rest of my life being tormented by her spirit. You know how she is Gabrielle, even if she's dead she'll find a way to do it. 

Gabrielle smiled and chuckled as she thought of how strong-willed and determined Xena could be when she had her mind set on something. Some would call it being foolish or just plain stubborn. And as annoying as it could be at times, Xena's unrelenting drive was one of the many qualities that Gabrielle really admired and loved about her. How could she not? After all, it was that very thing that had saved them and countless others time and time again. Far too many for Gabrielle to count. It was just something that helped make Xena who she was. And it was that very same steel-willed determination that Gabrielle was hoping was enough to have kept Xena alive if the time had come for Xena's execution to be carried out. 

GABRIELLE
Okay, then hurry up and get ready. I'm leaving for the village in ten minutes no matter what. 

Ephiny walked over to the door to the room and smirked at Gabrielle. 

EPHINY
I'll be ready and waiting outside with the horses in five.

And sure enough, it was only a few short minutes later that Gabrielle held Aurora securely in front of her as she rode Arrian back towards the secret village with Ephiny and Argo right beside her as they all journeyed back to the secret village to save Xena and stop whatever was that Alti was planning. But as the sun began to set it seemed unlikely that they would be able to make it it time to stop the execution that would be taking place the next morning. As the start of the next day was to signal the end of Xena's life. 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy