Pt.14

With the weather now being far more accommodating for travel, a pair of horses trampled through the snow as Gabrielle and Ephiny ventured back to the secret village. Aurora was safely secured in the saddle and bundled up in front of Gabrielle as Arrian and Argo galloped between a series of trees. 

GABRIELLE
Did they set the time for Xena's Execution before you left? 

EPHINY
I think Clover was still going over the final details to make sure Xena couldn't get out of it. But yeah I'm pretty sure she had settled on when and how. 

GABRIELLE
How long do we have? 

EPHINY
I'm not gonna lie, Gabrielle, I'm really not sure how we can possibly make it back in time. Especially with the snow. 

Gabrielle glanced over at Ephiny as they rode side by side. 

GABRIELLE
Ephiny how long do we have? 

EPHINY
A day. Two tops. Though I haven't been there so they could've changed it. But our timing is not looking good right now. And that's to say if they haven't gone through with it already. 

Gabrielle gave Ephiny a look of pure determination. 

GABRIELLE
Either way, we have to get back as fast as possible. Along with getting to Xena, we have to break whatever hold Alti has over Clover and the others and stop whatever she's doing. 

EPHINY
How? We don't even know what she's after. Plus I saw what she's capable of when we encountered her during the hunting trip. How are we supposed to stop someone with that kind of power? 

GABRIELLE
She's been defeated before, so we can figure out a way to do it again. Even if she is supposed to already be dead. 

EPHINY
(joking) I guess you guys must've been having an off day when you faced her before and didn't realize you hadn't finished her off. Though that is odd for Xena to mess up killing such an obviously dangerous opponent like that. 

GABRIELLE
Ephiny Alti has been dead for a very long time. 

EPHINY
Obviously not if she's showing up again. 

GABRIELLE
No trust me, she's dead. She just doesn't exactly act like it. I mean you've seen what she's capable of. Does any of that seem really like something a normal, mortal person could do? 

Ephiny figured that Gabrielle had a point and sighed as she tried to wrap her mind around how they were possibly going to stop an incredibly powerful being who was apparently already dead. 

EPHINY
(sarcasm) Oh great facing down a being that's apparently something beyond mortal. This isn't gonna be extremely difficult at all. How did you and Xena stop her before? 

GABRIELLE
We destroyed Alti's remains. But obviously, we either missed some or that wasn't enough to completely get rid of her for good. 

EPHINY
So how do we stop her now then? Is it even possible? 

GABRIELLE
Honestly Ephiny, I have no idea. Hopefully, Xena will know what to do. We just have to make it back in time to stop Clover and the others from killing her first.

EPHINY
Any idea for how to do that? 

GABRIELLE
Not yet. Other than fighting them, which I would rather not have to do. Alti clearly did something to them other than just showing them visions. 

EPHINY
Do you mean she's manipulating or controlling them in some way? 

GABRIELLE
Exactly. Xena noticed it too. Though to be honest I had no clue that Alti had that kind of power. Showing visions and that other stuff I've seen. But being able to warp people's minds like she has, that's new. I don't even think Xena knew about that. And I have no idea how to stop it. Or if we even can. 

EPHINY
So what happens if we can't? 

GABRIELLE
If we really can't break Alti's influence and Xena's still alive when we get there, I'll hate it but I'm not going to let them kill her. No matter what. 

Ephiny didn't say anything but couldn't blame Gabrielle for her thought process. 

GABRIELLE
But let's just hope that it doesn't have to come to that. 

Xena leaned her head back against the wall of her cell as she sat there and looked out the small window at the setting sun. She hoped that Ephiny had found Gabrielle and Aurora and that they were all safe. She contemplated trying to make a break for it, going to find them and leaving everything in the village behind. Unfortunately, there were several reasons why that wouldn't idea wouldn't work out. The first being that Xena didn't want to hurt or kill anyone in the village. And if she made an attempt to escape that would surely be what happened. Even if she was careful to use non-lethal attacks there was still no guarantee that with all the chaos caused by her making a run for it that people wouldn't be seriously injured or end up dead. And for all of Xena's skills, escaping a rather large village of fairly skilled fighters without killing the or Xena herself being killed was highly improbable. Not to mention how Xena would get away from the village in what she estimated was a at least foot or two of snow. If she had Argo it might work, but since Ephiny had her Xena was not confident that she would make it very far before being caught or falling victim to the elements.

XENA
(thinking to herself) For once I really don't see a way out of this. At least not one that doesn't end up with me having even more Amazon blood on my hands. And that's something I just won't do. Never again.

Xena sighed to herself as she closed her eyes and tried to push down her building sense of impending doom. 

XENA
(thinking to herself) I guess this time my past has finally caught up to me. Honestly, I always figured it would one day. I just wish I hadn't gotten Gabrielle caught up in my mess once again. 

Xena opened her eyes and looked out the small window. 

XENA
(thinking to herself) Just if anyone is listening I know I'm not usually one for relying on the gods for anything or really care for the vast majority of you, but please all I ask is that Gabrielle and our child stay safe. Whatever happens to me after tonight I can accept. Just please don't make two more good and innocent people suffer any further because of me. 

?
Thinking about everything that's led you here? 

Xena looked over at the bars of her cell and saw Clover standing on the other side. 

XENA
Something like that. 

CLOVER
You know I'm kinda surprised that you haven't tried to escape. 

XENA
Thought about it. But don't see any way that doesn't involve people dying. 

Clover scowled. 

CLOVER
Like you actually care. More like you know we won't let you leave here alive. 

XENA
Think whatever you want Clover, but I have no intention of fighting you or anyone else here. 

CLOVER
Only because we won't give you the chance. 

Xena looked at her. 

XENA
(Slightly irritated tone) Is there an actual reason you're here or did Alti for whatever reason decide to make you more chatty along with being a gigantic bitch?

Clover smirked, seemingly unphased by Xena's comment. 

CLOVER
You know an animal always makes the most noise when they know they're cornered in an effort to intimidate their opponent. 

Clover lost her smile as she stepped right up to the bars of Xena's cell and glared intensely at her. 

CLOVER
But I'm not intimidated by you Xena. I know what you're capable of. You might put up one Tartarus of a fight, but you're going to die tomorrow. There will be justice for everything you've done. And while I can't undo all the damage you've caused, I can make sure that you never hurt anyone else ever again. 

Clover turned and began to walk away before pausing for a moment as she looked back at Xena. 

CLOVER
The sunset looks nice, doesn't it? If I were you I'd take a good look at it. 

Clover returned her focus forward as she continued walking. 

CLOVER
Because it's the last one you will ever see. 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy