Pt.16

There was a sweet song in the air from a bird perched on a branch just outside the small window of Xena's cell as the morning sun rose. But the songbird went unheard as Xena sat on the floor leaning against the wall. Sleep had evaded her the night before. Not out of fear of dying. She was a warrior, and living that kind of life meant that death was something that could come at any time. So being killed wasn't the thing that had kept Xena awake. Not that getting sleep would matter soon enough anyway. No, what had kept Xena awake on what was to be her last night in this life were her thoughts of Gabrielle and Aurora. Not being around for them anymore was the hardest thing about the whole situation. Having to leave them behind as Gabrielle would have to raise their child without her. Not that Xena didn't know that Gabrielle could and would, it was just unfair to both her and Aurora to have to go through everything they had because of her. Xena just hoped Ephiny had found them and that they were safe. 

XENA
(Thinking to herself) It won't be long now Gabrielle. There's so much more I wish I had said to you when I could. You could never know just how sorry I am for putting you and Aurora through all this. Along with everything else you've had to go through because of you choosing to stay with me. I could never understand why you love me like you do, but I will always be grateful for that love. A love I know I could never deserve. You've changed everything for me, Gabrielle. When I was lost and at the end of a long dark road that I didn't see a way back from, there you were. You are the light that illuminates my darkness. The light that showed me a new path. The light that I would follow to the ends of the earth and beyond. I only wish I could see your face one more time, hold you for a few more moments, hear your voice as you speak, and touch my heart and soul in a way no one else ever could. I wish I could say those words to you one more time that seem so simple and yet mean so much more than I could ever explain. I hope you know and always remember that I love you. 

Xena closed her eyes as her emotions spilled over and allowed silent tears to stream down her face. It was only a few moments later when Xena heard footsteps heading in her direction. It wasn't long until they drew closer before stopping in front of her cell. 

CLOVER
You know I never noticed just how much less intimidating you look without your leather and armor. 

Xena looked at Clover for a moment before turning her attention to looking out the window without saying anything as she let the last tear fall from her thoughts of leaving Gabrielle and Aurora. 

CLOVER
Crying Xena? Really? That seems a bit much coming from you. 

Clover walked closer to the bars of Xena's cell. 

CLOVER
You know I wonder how many have cried and still do over what you did to them and the people they loved. How many Amazon tears were shed after what you did to my people? While it can't undo what you've done, after today none of those tears or lives you've destroyed will go unavenged. Your time to get what you so justly deserve has finally come. 

Clover called over a large number of armed guards as she drew her battle axe and tossed the key to the cell to a guard. 

CLOVER
Be smart Xena. I've made sure the village is fully prepared for anything you might think of trying to get out of this. Despite your abilities, you are not getting out of this village alive, I've made sure of that. So just make it easier on everyone, including yourself, and don't fight this. If you actually do hold any shred of remorse for what you've done then take responsibility for your crimes and accept your punishment like the decent person you claim to be. 

Clover nodded to the guard to unlock the cell door. Once the cell was open Xena stood up as the guards and Clover held their weapons ready. Xena didn't move and Clover motioned for one of the other women to put the shackles they had with them around Xena's wrists, ankles, and neck. Cautiously the Amazon guard did just that as Xena held her arms out in front of her together as the cold metal was secured.

CLOVER
Good. Now get moving. 

Clover grabbed one of the chains and yanked it, causing Xena to stagger forward towards the cell door. Xena quickly regained her balance and scowled at Clover who just smirked at her. 

CLOVER
(sarcasm) What's wrong Xena I thought you liked a little rough treatment every now and then

XENA
(Sacasm) Yeah, but you're not my type. 

Before anyone could react Xena sent her elbow into Clover's face and attempted to make a run for it as Clover dropped her end of the chain. However, the multiple guards grabbed her and kept her from getting very far as Clover ignored the pain and blood coming from her now busted nose and grabbed Xena by the back of her leathers and slammed her up against the outside of the prison cell. Xena made a painful groan as she felt a powerful punch connect with her ribs. Then another was followed by a shot to her lower back. The bars she was pressed up against were the only thing that kept Xena on her feet as Clover grabbed her shoulder and spun her around to land a punch across Xena's face. She then threw another into Xena's stomach which caused Xena to double over as Clover brought her hands together and slammed them down into the middle of Xena's back. This forced Xena to the ground where she attempted to get up but was stopped when her world went fuzzy for a moment after Clover's boot was driven into the side of her head. Xena layed there as she tried to regain her focus and felt the guards grab her as Clover crochet down in front of her, grabbing a handful of Xena's hair to lift her head to look at her. 

CLOVER
I warned you not to make this more difficult than it needed to be. But I guess I'd be more surprised if you didn't try something. 

Clover let go and stood as she wiped away the blood from her nose and grabbed a random, old piece of discarded cloth that she spotted and held it to her nose to stop the bleeding. 

CLOVER 
Okay, let's head out and get this over with. 

Clover moved out of the way as the guard forced Xena out of the building and towards her doom. Outside Xena was led through some of the village and towards to square. As she arrived Xena saw that almost the whole village had gathered to witness her demise. There were more guards and most people in the crowd were fully armed as if they were going into battle. Xena's sharp eyes spotted multiple archers scattered on top of several buildings and in the trees in the distance. It was obvious that Clover as well as the rest of the village really weren't taking any chances of letting Xena Escape. As the crowd parted to let them through Xena saw the method that had been chosen for her execution. There in the middle of the crowd was a wooden platform that sat several feet above the ground with stairs leading up to it. Benieath Xena saw that spikes made from sharpened branches had been placed so that anyone who fell onto them would instantly be skewered by multiple spikes. And there in the center above the platform hung a nuse. 

XENA
Really Clover all that time "planning" my death and the best you could come up with is to hang me? I thought you'd at least do something a bit more creative. 

CLOVER
Yeah well, we can't all be as sadistic with coming up with ways to kill people as you. And its simplicity is what made it easier to make it so you couldn't escape. Which is why I added the spikes and a few other things. 

Xena heard the crowd boo and yell at her as Clover motioned to the guards. This time they grabbed more chains and wrapped them around Xena's arms, pinning them to her body. These chains were much heavier so Xena figured what Clover was doing. She planned to keep Xena's limbs from moving and weigh her down so that when the rope was around Xena's neck and they released the hatch on the platform beneath her, Xena couldn't slip out of the rope or somehow stop her fall before being hung. And even if she somehow did she would then be unable to stop herself from falling into the spikes that waited below. All of that paired with practically the whole village being armed in case the plan somehow didn't succeed in killing her, Xena's chances of surviving through this day were basically zero. After giving the setup one final go-over to ensure that everything was in working order, Clover then gave the go-ahead for Xena to be brought up on the platform. As she was led towards the stairs Xena pushed aside any thoughts of her fate that lay just moments away. Instead, she focused her mind on Gabrielle as she found comfort in seeing her face in some way. As Xena had decided that she wanted to spend her last moments on this earth thinking of one of the only things that had made her life even worth living after she had turned away from the person she used to be. Even if a large part of Xena agreed that this was the fate that she had long deserved. After a moment Xena was standing in the middle of the platform as the use hung in front of her. Xena closed her eyes as she waited for it to be put around her neck. Meanwhile, Clover stood at the far end of the platform ready to give the signal to do just that. But then she paused when a voice unheard by anyone else spoke into her ear. 

ALTI
You have trouble coming. Gabrielle and another of your so-called allies are on their way here. They've nearly reached the village, so if you want to see your justice carried out, I would suggest you stop them before they let Xena escape her rightful fat once again. 

Clover scowled as she addressed the crowd in response to what Alti had just said. 

CLOVER
Everyone be on guard, Gabrielle and Ephiny are coming. 

The women in the crowd looked at each other for a moment. Confused by how Clover could suddenly have such knowledge. But Xena on the other hand knew that it was Alti. 

CLOVER
Quick a bunch of you go. Stop them from getting here. 

SKYKA
But how do you know they're coming? None of the guards have said anything about seeing them. 

Alti gave an annoyed growl as she vanished and found a guard who wasn't in the immediate area and whispered to her that Gabrielle and Ephiny were near. The guard then ran off and informed the crowd. This time no one questioned it as Xena felt relief in knowing that Gabrielle was okay. 

XENA
Gabrielle... 

 Clover repeated for them to stop Gabrielle and Ephiny from getting to Xena. 

CLOVER
I don't care how you do it, do not let them reach the village square. Kill them if you have to. 

VILLAGE GUARD 
What if the little one is with them? 

Alti whispered in Clover's ear who scowled as she stepped closer to the guard. 

CLOVER
Do what you have to to stop them. If that means having to take the life of a child to ensure that Xena is no longer a threat to our people, then so be it. 

XENA
No! 

That was the final straw for Xena as she fought to get free. Multiple guards grabbed her as they were barely able to contain her even with her restraints. She struggled as she saw several others leave and head out to stop Gabrielle from getting there. Clover looked at her. 

CLOVER
Nothing will save you, Xena. Not this time. And if Gabrielle wants to be dumb enough to try and save you while having Aurora with her, then you can all be sent to Tartarus together. 

Alti revealed herself to only Xena and smiled a sinister grin as she laughed. Xena yelled and fought even harder to get away as more guards grabbed her. 

XENA
Gabrielle!! 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy