Pt.17

Gabrielle and Ephiny rode side by side as they quickly closed in on the secret village. Ephiny held Aurora closely as they galloped ever closer. But as they drew near the pair saw a group of Amazons had gathered just outside the waterfall entrance. 

EPHINY
Looks like they were expecting us. 

GABRIELLE
Clover or more likely Alti must have sent them. 

As they came closer Gabrielle and Ephiny saw a number of the women step forward and held up bows with arrows notched and ready to fire as they aimed at them. 

GABRIELLE
Are they seriously gonna fire at us? 

Gabriele and Ephiny slowed to a stop for a moment a bit away from the group as they saw Skyla step forward. 

SKYLA
Gabrielle, Ephiny turn back and leave now. Don't make this worse than it needs to be. 

GABRIELLE
You should know I can't do that Skyla. I won't let Xena be killed. 

SKYLA
I get that you love her but how can you just ignore what she's done? You were an Amazon yourself, our queen and you betrayed us, your people for her. 

GABRIELLE
You're wrong I've never betrayed any of you. You have to believe me, Xena is not that person anymore. I realize that if I had made a different choice in my successor then we might not be here right now, but I swear everything both Xena and myself have done since arriving here has been for the greater good of this village and the Amazon's as a whole. 

SKYLA
You're lying. Clover and the others saw what she did to our people. Xena's a monster and she has to pay for what she's done. And you too for turning your back on all of us. This is your last warning. You were one of my best friends Gabrielle. I don't wanna kill you, but it comes down to protecting my home and my people from someone like Xena or you, I won't hesitate to do what I have to. The same goes for you too Ephiny. 

Gabrielle looked at Ephiny for a moment. 

GABRIELLE
Ephiny if anything happens to both me and Xena, I want you to take Aurora and get out of here. Make sure she stays safe. 

EPHINY
I promise. I won't let anything happen to her. I'll protect Aurora with my life if I have to. She'll always be safe with me. 

GABRIELLE
I know she will. 

Gabrielle returned her attention forward as she looked at Skyla and the other Amazon archers. 

GABRIELLE
Then I'm sorry Skyla but I'm also gonna have to do what needs to be done. I have to stop Clover. She and all of you are being manipulated by Alti. She's the real threat to this place, not me and Xena. Can't you see that? 

Skyla raised her arm for the archers to get ready to open fire. 

SKYLA
Last chance Gabrielle. You're not getting to Xena so for all three of your sakes. turn around, leave this place, and never come back. 

Gabrielle gave Ephiny a quick look and nod before turning back to Skyla and the others. 

GABRIELLE
Okay. You win. We'll leave. Come on Ephiny. 

Gabrielle turned Arrian around a began slowly riding away from the village with Ephiny and Aurora. Ephiny moved close to Gabrielle. 

EPHINY
(talking quietly) What's the plan here, Gabrielle? I know there's no way we're actually leaving. 

GABRIELLE
Just go the opposite way of me in a minute and follow my lead. 

Ephiny saw Gabrielle reach down and pull her sais from her boots as she held them and the reins to her horse. Getting the picture, Ephiny nodded as she drew her sword. 

EPHINY
I'm gonna assume the diplomatic approach isn't what we're going for here. 

GABRIELLE
Unfortunately, I don't see any other way. So on my signal, we turn around and charged around them. Just do your best to not inflict any fatal wounds. We're trying to save everyone here, not the opposite. 

EPHINY
Got it.

Ephiny hunched over Aurora to protect the little girl and nodded that she was ready whenever Gabrielle was. That was when Gabrielle took a breath as she once again went to that place in her mind where she flipped the mental switch to tuck away the usual kind and thoughtful Gabrielle that didn't want anyone to get hurt as she slipped into the more calculated and focused "queen mode" where she was willing to make the tough decisions when she needed to. Even if it meant she wouldn't like herself later for it. Gabrielle was going to save Xena and stop Alti, and she wasn't going to let anyone stand in her way. Including the people she had thought to be her friends and Amazonian sisters. Once Gabrielle made the shift Ephiny noticed right away just from the way she carried herself and knew what it meant. Gabrielle was determined to get into the village and get to Xena no matter what. Gabrielle nodded slightly once more and then quickly turned back and charged towards the village with Ephiny following. They split apart as they closed in. Skyla shook her head in disappointment. 

SKYLA
(talking to herself) I should've figured Gabrielle wouldn't just walk away. I'm sorry, I wish it didn't have to end this way. 

Skyla moved her hand. 

SKYLA
Fire! 

With that command, the archers unleashed their arrows as they shot at Gabrielle and Ephiny. They steered their horses away from the incoming attacks and continued towards the village. After failing to hit with the arrows a number of the women dropped their bows and pulled out melee weapons as they rushed Gabrielle and Ephiny. 

EPHINY
Here they come. 

As the two sides collided Gabrielle kicked a couple away from her seated position on Arrian and used one of her sais to block a sword strike and push the Amazon back as she kept going. Ephiny drove the bottom of her sword into one woman's face, knocking her to the ground as she rode past a few others. The two weaved their way through the oncoming attackers, keeping the damage to as minimal of a level as possible against the opposing Amazins as they charged toward the village entrance. Closing in, Gabrielle felt the breeze of an arrow fly by her ear as it just barely missed its target. She flinched and then stared down Skyla who was loading up another arrow after missing her last shot. Gabrielle leaned forward in her saddle and looked to see Ephiny with Aurora right behind her. They charged right for Skyla and the other archers. As they closed in the Amazon's realized they weren't slowing down and fully planned on running right through them. A number of the villagers fired at them but missed when Both Gabrielle and Ephiny swerved out of the way and then refocused on them. 

AMAZON
They're crazy! They're just gonna run us down! 

The group including Skyla tried to load up another volley of arrows but were unable to before a number needed to dive out of the way of the stampeding horses. The women watched as Gabrielle and Ephiny rode by and into the waterfall as they entered the village. Skyla stood up from having to dodge being trampled and looked towards the village. 

SKYLA
Oh boy, that's not good. I'm gonna really hear it from Clover for this one. 

The women of the village scrambled to try and stop Gabrielle and Ephiny from reaching the village square but were unable to slow their momentum. As they rode Gabrielle looked out from the higher vantage point and spotted the village square and the number of people gathered as did Ephiny. 

EPHINY
Gabrielle look, that must be where they plan on doing the execution. 

The two rode towards it but quickly realized that they were being followed by the others who had tried to stop the outside as more came at them from the front. Gabrielle looked closer at the group in the square and noticed that it looked like someone was being held back by several others as someone else held a weapon ready to strike her down. Gabrielle couldn't make out their faces and other details from that distance but there was no mistaking that the one being held back was Xena. And as the woman standing across from her whom Gabrielle realized was Clover raised her axe to kill Xena, she felt the fear of watching Xena be killed right in front of her eyes and yelled as loud as she could as her voice carried across the village. 

GABRIELLE
NO, XENA!!! 

-----SEVERAL MINUTES EARLIER------

Xena struggled against the multiple women holding her back as she tried to get free. 

XENA
(angry tone) Clover, I swear if you or anyone else harm a single hair on either Gabrielle or Aurora I promise what Alti showed you will pale in comparison to what I do to you and the rest of this place. 

CLOVER
You say something like that and still expect me to believe that you aren't a monster? 

XENA
(angry tone) Frankly, I couldn't care less what you think or believe anymore. If wanna let yourself and everyone else be manipulated by Alti, fine. But don't you think for a second that I'm just gonna stand by and let you do anything more than you already have to threaten the lives of my wife and child? 

Clover scowled as she drove the bottom of her axe into Xena's stomach. The shot caused Xena to double over as the other Amazons held her in place. 

CLOVER
You aren't gonna be able to do anything to anyone ever again in a moment. I'm done with this, now just do this world a favor already and die. 

The other Amazons held Xena in the bent-over position as Clover gripped her axe with both hands and raised it over her head as she prepared to behead Xena herself. Just as she was about to bring the weapon down she was suddenly distracted when she and everyone else there, including Xena heard a voice yell. 

GABRIELLE
NO, XENA!!! 

-----PRESENT------

After hearing Gabrielle's voice and taking the momentary distraction she caused, Xena reached deep within herself to a place where she had always said that only Gabrielle could inspire her to go and pull off feats that no mortal should be capable of as she let out a yell and used all her strength to push the group of battle-tested women holding her back off of her. As they were knocked down Clover backed off slightly to avoid being thrown to the ground like the others. She scowled at Xena as she moved to block her from going after Gabrielle and Aurora. 

CLOVER
(angry tone) You aren't escaping your punishment this time Xena. You will pay for what you've done to my people. 

XENA
Someday I will. For them and everyone else, I've hurt. But I refuse to let that be at the expense of the people I love or anyone else. My past and the repercussions of it are my burden to bear, not theirs. Now get out of my way Clover, don't make me hurt you. 

CLOVER
(angry tone) You don't scare me. Your region of terror ends here. 

Clover ran at the still shackled Xena and swung her axe. Xena quickly sidestepped the attack. Clover wasted no time in pivoting into another swing as she spun to face Xena once more. This time Xena didn't dodge and instead held up her arms and let Clover's axe strike the chain that bound her hands together. Now with the use of her arms returned Xena smirked. 

XENA
Thanks. Oh, and I think I owe you this for earlier. 

Before Clover could react Xena headbutted her. Leaving her stunned as she backed off holding her head.

CLOVER
(angry tone) Oww! Damn it! That was a cheap shot! 

XENA
Yeah, but don't worry this one won't be. 

Clover heard Xena's battle cry as she looked up just in time to see Xena's fist coming right at her as she could do nothing but take the hit. Clover felt the full force of Xena's strength as she was taken off her normally sturdy base and knocked to her back. Stunned she tried to get up but was caught with another powerful blow to the head and dropped back down as everything around her faded to black.

XENA
You can just take a nap for a bit. Maybe that'll knock some damn sense back into you.

Xena's attention quickly shifted away from the now-unconscious Clover as she heard Alti's voice and saw her standing a few feet away. 

ALTI
(Angry tone) You think this is over just because you got free Xena? I won't let you stand in my way.
But I suppose if I can't get rid of you right now I'll just have to make a slight change in my plan and take care of Gabrielle like I clearly should have done before. I never thought she would be such a problem. 

XENA
(sarcasm) I'll be sure to add you to the long list of everyone who has sold Gabrielle short and had it come back to bite 'em. 
Right after I finish cleaning up this mess and finally getting rid of you for good.

Alti scowled. 

ALTI
I'll finish dealing with you later Xena. First I'm gonna do what I should've done when I had the chance after finding Gabrielle out in that storm. 

XENA
(Angry tone) You stay away from my family Alti. I won't let you near them. 

Alti gave an evil smile. 

ALTI
You can't stop me, Xena. Both Gabrielle and your little brat will be dead before you even leave this area. 

Xena yelled angrily as she charged Alti but was stopped by a wave of the sorceres's hand as Alti used her power to knock Xena away. Xena was quick to get back to her feet as she saw Alti vanish with a laugh. And scrambled to grab a weapon as she hurried off and nonlethally fought her way through the Amazon villagers who stood in her way as she made her way towards where she had heard Gabrielle's voice come from. Just hoping that she could reach her and Aurora before Alti or anyone else could do anything to them. But with Alti's ability to just appear seemingly out of nowhere and inhuman speed, Xena knew even with her own unreal skills, her chances of getting to Gabrielle and Aurora in time to save them from Alti causing some serious damage or worse we're slim to none. 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy