Pt. 6

GABRIELLE
Come on Aurora, open up for the Pegasus. 

Aurora opened her mouth as Gabrielle fed the toddler her lunch as they sat on the couch in the living room. Gabrielle smiled as she heard happy "numming" sounds from the little girl and wiped the excess food from her messy little face. 

GABRIELLE
Good huh? 

It was a peaceful day as it lightly snowed. So Gabrielle decided to spend a quiet day inside with just her and Aurora as she waited for Xena and the others to return from their hunting trip within the next couple of days. She'd been trying to ignore the sense of doom that she had felt since before Xena left and hoped that it would go away once Xena, Ephiny, Clover and Willow got back safely. 

GABRIELLE
(thinking to herself) Come on Gabrielle they're all smart, highly skilled fighters. So even if they did run into any kind of trouble I seriously doubt it would be anything that the four of them couldn't handle together. Especially with Xena in the group. In fact, I'm sure they're all having a good time right now. 

Gabrielle was pulled from her inner pep talk when there was a knock on the door and she told the person outside to come in. The door opened and Fauna stood in the doorway. 

FAUNA
Gabrielle, they're back. 

Gabrielle smiled for a moment before she noticed the serious expression on Fauna's face. Then the terrible feeling that something was wrong returned as she stood up. 

GABRIELLE
What's wrong, is someone hurt? 

FAUNA
I'm not sure but based on what the guard I just ran into said, I think you should come outside. They're making their way to the village square as we speak. 

GABRIELLE
Okay. 

Fauna stayed with Aurora as Gabrielle threw on her coat and headed outside. As she stepped outside she saw the hunting group enter the village square. As they came into view she was shocked and confused by what she saw. Everyone was on horseback, but as they drew closer Gabrielle noticed that Xena wasn't on Argo as the mare was led in alongside the others. She felt her heart sink for a moment as she thought that the worst might've happened and was about to run towards them when she finally spotted Xena behind them. Gabrielle felt a huge sense of relief to see Xena back home safely as the group came close and drew to a stop. Gabrielle smiled as Ephiny and Willow dismounted and she walked up to greet them, mostly Xena. Then she stopped when she saw that Xena looked as though she was exhausted. Then noticed that she had a length of rope tied around both of her wrists that was held at the other end by Clover. Before Gabrielle could process what she was seeing Clover hopped from her saddle and proceeded to give the rope a hard yank, which jerked an exhausted Xena forward and caused her to fall.

GABRIELLE
Hey! 

Gabrielle quickly rushed to Xena's side and knelt beside her as she helped Xena sit up. She then scowled as she looked at Clover. 

GABRIELLE
(angry tone) You wanna tell me what you think you're doing? 

CLOVER
Amazon justice. 

GABRIELLE
(angry tone) What? 

XENA
(Tired tone) They know Gabrielle.

Gabrielle looked back at Xena. 

GABRIELLE
Know what? 

CLOVER 
(Angry tone) The truth. 

Gabrielle looked at everyone in the small group as she tried to piece together whatever was going on before returning her focus to her main concern at the moment, which was Xena's well-being. 

GABRIELLE
Are you okay? 

CLOVER 
Who cares. 

Gabrielle scowled as she rose and moved to stand face-to-face with Clover. 

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) What's your problem, Clover?  Xena's your friend and one of your queens. How could you treat her this way? 

By this time a crowd had formed as the villagers noticed the commotion. Skyla who was among them stepped forward. 

SKYLA
Gabrielle's right. What's gotten into you Clover? You and Xena have become pretty close,  so why would you do this? 

Clover looked at Gabrielle, Skyla, and the rest of the crowd. 

CLOVER
Because as it turns out this woman that we all thought we knew so well is nothing but a liar. 

The crown began to murmur as they wondered what Clover could've been talking about. 

CLOVER 
The whole time Xena has been here she's acted as if she was our friend and ally.  When in truth she's nothing more than a cold-blooded murderer who's responsible for countless deaths of people who did nothing but stand in the way of her own depraved goals. She slaughtered her victims without a shred of remorse. Some of which were our very own people. 

The crowd gasped in disbelief as Clover continued. 

CLOVER
That's right. In a quest for power Xena pretended to befriend a tribe of our sisters and then brutally killed them all when she had no longer had any use for them. 

SKYLA
That can't be true. How did you even learn any of this? 

Clover briefly explained their encounter with Alti and that Xena had freely admitted to all of it. Stating that anyone who didn't believe her could even ask Xena themselves. Everyone looked at Xena, as the emotions of those in the crowd ranged from disbelief, shock, and sadness to anger, resentment, and betrayal. The crowd quickly became restless as a mob mentality took hold of the villagers who began to yell and chant for Xena to be brought to justice. Gabrielle looked at the angry women and attempted to calm the situation before it got out of hand. 

GABRIELLE
Everyone, please calm down. I know that learning these things must have come as a shock to you all, but you can all rest easy when I tell you that no one here is in any danger of being hurt by Xena. 

WILLOW
What makes you so sure Gabrielle?  You just heard the atrocities that Xena's responsible for. I doubt she's ever even been put on trial or punished for all of the crimes she's committed. 

GABRIELLE
Trust me Xena punishes herself mentally every day for her past. I've seen firsthand the lengths she's willing to go to try and right her mistakes. And suffer the consequences of what she's done. 

The crowd fell silent for a moment as Clover looked at Gabrielle. 

CLOVER
You know from the way you're talking it almost sounds like you knew about this. 

GABRIELLE
While I might not be aware of everything,  yes I am very well aware of Xena's past. Including what happened with the northern Amazons. But that was a long time ago. That's not who she is anymore. 

A thick tension fell over everyone as Clover moved closer to Gabrielle. 

CLOVER 
(angry tone) You knew? For how long? 

Xena knew based on how upset everyone was at the moment that Gabrielle telling them that she's known about her crimes for a long time would only serve to make the situation worse and drag Gabrielle into trouble because of her once again. So out of fear of what might happen, Xena tried to stop her from saying anything. 

XENA 
(Tired tone) Gabrielle, stop. 

Clover scowled as she heard Xena and got the hint that Gabrielle obviously not only knew at least some of what they had just uncovered but must have known about it for some time based on Xena's warning. 

CLOVER
Gabrielle I'm only gonna ask you nicely one more time. How long have you known about what Xena has done to our people? Your people. 

Gabrielle ignored Xena's warning as she stared unintimidated at Clover and spoke. 

GABRIELLE
I've known for a long time about the person Xena used to be. And the things she's done. Including what happened with the Northern Amazons. 

Rumblings of shock and anger could be heard spreading throughout the crowd as Gabrielle rushed to defend Xena's conversion and dedication to do good just as she had done countless times before and would continue to do so without regret. 

GABRIELLE
But like I said before, Xena isn't that person anymore. You've all seen it for yourselves. She's fought to defend you all. Become a part of your village. Sure she's done awful things to people and I don't make light of that, neither does she. But the Xena you see before you, the Xena we all know, is a good person. 

IRIS
Gabrielle, I get that you love her and share a child together, but as an Amazon, as our queen you've had an obligation to us, your people to do what's best for us. So how could you possibly think that making her our queen was the right thing to do with knowing what she's done?

GABRIELLE
Because I knew that the Amazon people would be in good hands with her. And for the record, Xena was opposed to becoming queen because of her past with our people.

CLOVER
(angry tone) Traitor. I bet this whole time they were conspiring together for something. 

GABRIELLE
(angry tone) That's enough Clover. 

Gabrielle looked around at the rest of the villagers as she slipped into her "queen mode", which she hadn't actually done in quite a long time. 

GABRIELLE
(angry tone) All of you. In case you've forgotten, both Xena and myself are your queens. So I would expect some respect. Now I know that emotions are running high at the moment,  but we can't let that cloud our better judgment. So I say we all take a breath and try and find a way to sort this mess out. 

Gabrielle crouched down and began untieing Xena's wrists but was suddenly grabbed by Clover and pulled away from Xena. 

GABRIELLE
(a very tone) Let go of me! 

Clover let go of the struggling Gabrielle as she stood between her and Xena. 

CLOVER
I can't let you do that Gabrielle. 

GABRIELLE
(stern tone) Clover as queen I order you to get out of my way. 

CLOVER
Gabrielle, I don't think you understand the situation that you and Xena find yourselves in. 

Gabrielle scowled. 

GABRIELLE
(stern tone) And what would that be? 

CLOVER
Xena is a criminal who was never punished under Amazon law for what she's done to our people. Because if she was she'd already be dead. And you Gabrielle, are a traitor to our people for knowing of her crimes while being queen and yet saying or doing nothing about any of it. 

GABRIELLE
You're wrong. 

Ephiny stepped up and quietly spoke to Gabrielle as she felt terrible for what was happening but was powerless to stop it. 

EPHINY
(Quietly) I'm sorry Gabrielle, but Clover is technically right. 

GABRIELLE
Ephiny you've known us longer than anyone here, you know that we would never... 

EPHINY
(Quietly) I know that but you know how strict Amazonian law is. And according to that you are considered a traitor. And Xena... Well, I'm pretty sure you know the fact that she's gone this long without punishment by the Amazons is shocking, to say the least. 

Gabrielle scowled. 

GABRIELLE
(angry tone) Even after everything Xena's done for you Ephiny you would just throw away years of friendship? You know better than anyone here that neither Xerox nor myself would ever betray the Amazon's. Or not anymore when it comes to Xena at least. And besides you... Umm! 

Gabrielle was cut off when Ephiny threw her hand over her mouth. Clover looked at Ephiny who shrugged. 

EPHINY
Sometimes it's the only way to shut her up. 

CLOVER
No kidding. 

EPHINY
Look it's been a long day and I don't think we're getting anywhere further today. 

CLOVER
Meaning? 

EPHINY
We can't do much else about this until we go through a trial so I say we call it a day because you guys just got back from days of travel and it wouldn't be smart to hold a trail for something so important when a number of the witnesses aren't well rested. 

CLOVER
Fair point. But what do we do with them until the trial? We can't just let them go free,  they're likely to run if we do. And I don't trust locking them up together either.

EPHINY
Well given that Xena's crimes are more serious and that we do have their child to take into consideration, I think it would be best if we locked Xena in a cell by herself and placed Gabrielle under house arrest until the trial. 

The others including Clover thought about Ephiny's proposal for a moment and agreed that would be best. So with that Gabrielle watched as Xena was taken away and placed in a very heavily guarded cell as Gabrielle was escorted back home by Ephiny who had volunteered to be her personal guard until the trial in order to keep her in the loop of what was going on and to offer what little moral support she could under such difficult circumstances. But unfortunately for Xena and Gabrielle despite Ephinys support, their whole situation would very soon go from bad to much, much worse. 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy