Pt.7

GABRIELLE 
This can't be happening.

Gabrielle paced back and forth across the living room as she tried to process everything that had happened. 

GABRIELLE
I can't believe Clover and the others are doing this. After everything we've done for them.

EPHINY
I get that you're upset, but you have to see it from their point of view too Gabrielle. You and Xena did technically keep something pretty important from them. 

Gabrielle stopped and scowled at Ephiny. 

GABRIELLE
Only because we thought that something like this would happen. You know everything we did was for the good of this village and the Amazons as a whole. Nothing we did was ever meant to lie to or hurt anyone.

EPHINY
I know. 

Gabrielle's expression softened as she walked over and sat on the opposite end of the couch from where Ephiny sat and rested her face in her hands in frustration for a moment before looking at the only ally she and Xena seemed to have in this situation. 

GABRIELLE
Xena didn't even wanna become queen due to her history with the Amazons. But I talked her into it. She only accepted because of me. Gods, this is all my fault. What are we gonna do Ephiny? 

Ephiny sighed. 

EPHINY
You can't blame yourself for this. You were dying and you did what you felt was right for everyone. 

 GABRIELLE
Still, if I had just named you queen instead like I've always done while away from the Amazons none of this would be happening right now. 

EPHINY
Gabrielle you know I never wanted that title permanently. And besides, if you had named me queen there's a very good chance that I'd be dead right now. 

GABRIELLE
How so? 

EPHINY
Because based on what happened while Xena was helping that other tribe, I highly doubt I would've been able to kill that monster. In fact from what I heard it was Xena herself that was the only reason everyone was able to survive that whole ordeal. 

Gabrielle knew that Ephiny was right. It was only because of Xena herself and her weapons that she and the others had been able to kill the nearly immortal monster, Echinda who had been terrorizing the villages in the area. Gabrielle sighed. 

GABRIELLE
I know that Xena was able to help them,  and I'm not saying that I'm not glad that those people there are safe from that monster now but... 

Ephiny put her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder. 

EPHINY
I know. You'll find a way out of this mess Gabrielle. You and Xena somehow always do. 

Gabrielle gave a very small smile. 

GABRIELLE
Thanks for always being there Ephiny. I don't know what Xena or myself would do without you. Especially now. 

The village hall was packed with the whole village as various conversations were going on amongst the crowd about what would or should happen to Xena and Gabrielle as a result of what they had learned that the two had been keeping from them. The large room briefly fell silent as they saw Gabrielle enter with Aurora in her arms and Ephiny by her side. While walking by the rows of seated amazons, Gabrielle did her best to ignore the hateful glances sent her way as she and Ephiny made their way to the front of the large room. Once there Gabrielle gave the little girl to Ephiny to hold and watched as her friend went and sat in the front row with Aurora on her lap and a small toy to keep the toddler occupied. Though she was extremely nervous, Gabrielle took a breath and slipped into "queen mode" as she stood before everyone with a fierce determination to prove that both she and Xena weren't the dangerous traitors that they were being depicted as being thanks to Alti and now Clover. Who was someone that she and Xena had considered a very close friend up until now. Even though Gabrielle didn't know exactly what happened between the hunting group and Alti, she knew that it must have been something pretty bad for it to have led to where they were now. As she stood before the village, Gabrielle thought to herself that there had to be a way out of this. But how she didn't know. She just hoped that Xena would come up with something like she usually did whenever they were in a bad situation with their backs against the wall. After a few minutes, Gabrielle saw several armed women enter the village hall.  She fought back the urge to run their way when she saw a chained-up, unarmored, and unarmed Xena come into view surrounded by them as they moved toward the front of the room where Gabrielle stood. Loud boos and other words of disapproval rang out as Xena was led past the crowd. Various items were thrown at her. Which hurt more Gabrielle emotionally to see than it physically hurt Xena, who kept her attention forward and her face unreadable as she finally reached the front and was placed on the opposite side of the small stage from where Gabrielle stood. She gave Gabrielle a small half-hearted smile to show her that she was physically unharmed. However, to say that Xena felt terrible for what was happening would be a vast understatement. Once again because of her Gabrielle was being put in an awful situation. While it was true that Gabrielle knew about her past when she named her queen, Xena thought to herself that if she had never done the unforgivable things she had done to the Amazons to begin with, then none of this would even be happening right now. After a moment everyone settled down as Clover got up in front of everyone and began to speak. 

CLOVER 
My sisters, we're gathered today to decide what will be done to these two women who were thought to be our allies, our friends, our sisters, our queens.  But recent developments have uncovered the horrible truth of who one of them really is. 

Clover turned slightly and pointed to Xena who stood a little behind her, along with Gabrielle. 

CLOVER
Xena is not the ally and hero of our people that she's pretended to be since arriving here. 

Clover lowered her arm as she returned her full attention to the crowd before her.

CLOVER
It turns out that the woman we've all called friend and allowed into our secret home is a murderer of our people. 

Clover continued telling the village about the cold and evil things that Xena had done to the Amazons which were shown to her by Alti. At that time Gabrielle spoke up. 

GABRIELLE
You have to listen. You can't trust Alti. Xena might have done some truly awful things in the past, but she's different now. And even then while what Xena did was unbelievably wrong, she still had some morals that she did follow. But Alti, she's pure evil.  All she wants is power for herself. Please you... 

Clover turned to face Gabrielle. 

CLOVER
(angry tone) Quiet! 
You knew about all of this and still allowed Xena to become our leader. 

Clover faced the crowd again and continued. 

CLOVER
And Gabrielle, our fellow Amazon, and queen by rite of caste. She knew about the blood of our people, her people that Xena had on her hands. And she still granted Xena her rites as queen. So if you ask me she's nearly as irredeemable as Xena is.  If not worse. Because while Xena's a murderer and a liar, Gabrielle is nothing but a filthy traitor to her own people. 

Now Xena was upset. Saying the complete truth of what she had done was one thing. She had been aware that there would likely come a day when she would have to answer for what she had done to the Amazons for quite some time. But she was not about to idly stand by while Gabrielle was labeled a traitor to her adopted people that she had cared for and done so much for. Xena knew what being an Amazon and their queen meant to Gabrielle. Even back when she first became an Amazon after the brief excitement and novelty of becoming one, Gabrielle had taken the role seriously. Even if traveling with Xena meant that she had to be away a lot, Gabrielle kept the Amazons in her heart and made sure that they were in good hands with Ephiny. And since they had been in this village, Gabrielle had proven time and time again her devotion to both the Amazons of this village as well as their people as a whole. So for Gabrielle to be called a traitor was not only wrong but completely wrong and unfounded. And that was something that Xena was not going to just let slide. 

XENA
That's completely wrong Clover. Gabrielle would never betray the Amazon people and you know it. 

Clover scowled at Xena. 

CLOVER 
And we're supposed to take the word of an admitted criminal on that? We all know the lengths the two of you will go for one another. 

Clover faced the crowd. 

CLOVER
It's obvious where Gabrielle's true loyalties lay. 

Clover walked up to Gabrielle. 

CLOVER
Isn't that right? 

Gabrielle stared at her, knowing that she and everyone else there already knew that there was no question of which Gabrielle would pick if she ever had to choose between her place with the Amazons and Xena. And that choice would never change no matter the consequences. 

GABRIELLE
If you're asking if I'd ever turn my back Xena, you already know I wouldn't. 

CLOVER
That's exactly what I thought. 

Clover turned to the crowd again. 

CLOVER
There you have it. You all heard it yourselves. What more do I need to say? Gabrielle is as I said. A traitor. 

The crowd grumbled amongst themselves as Gabrielle attempted to defend herself and Xena. 

GABRIELLE
No, you're wrong. I would never do that. 

CLOVER
But that's exactly what you did when you passed the title of queen to Xena. A woman who you knew had committed unspeakable crimes against the Amazon people. How did you possibly think that making her our leader was right? You've left the title of queen in the hands of someone else before, haven't you? 

GABRIELLE
Yes. 

CLOVER
Then why pick someone that you knew had a past of violence against not only our people but countless others as well? 

The crowd talked among themselves again as Clover called up Willow to talk about the other violent images she had seen during the vision she received when she had put her hand on Clover after Alti had released Clover from her grasp. Once Willow had finished describing what she saw, the crowd looked at Xena as though she were a literal monster. 

CLOVER
That's right. Xena has committed countless acts of war and violence against innocent people. While we were calling her "Warrior Princess", friend, and more recently queen. Others would call her "Conqueror" and the "Destroyer Of Nations". And this is all something that I'm willing to bet that Gabrielle was well aware of as well. 

Gabrielle remained silent, about her knowledge of a lot of Xena's past, not wanting to damn herself or Xena even further.  However her not saying anything still did nothing to help. 

CLOVER
That's what I thought. Your silence says it all. 

Clover faced the villagers. 

CLOVER
Well, there you have it. Neither of them denies Xena's crimes. And yet here they sit as our queens as though there's nothing wrong with what she's done. 

XENA
(Angry tone) That's it! Now you listen to me, Clover. And for that matter everyone else here.

Xena looked out at the crowd as she spoke up in Gabrielle's defense.  

XENA
(Angry tone) I will live with regret for what I've done for the rest of my life. And nothing I do can ever undo the hurt and damage I've caused to so many. But don't you dare try and hold Gabrielle accountable for my actions. She didn't even know me then. Yes, she knows some of what I've done but she still somehow sees the good in me despite everything. You can't fault her for my mistakes. 

Clover scowled. 

CLOVER 
(Angry tone) Your mistakes?! 

Clover stormed over to Xena and drove her fist into Xena's cheek. 

CLOVER
(Angry tone) How dare you refer to what you've done as "mistakes"! 

Everyone gasped as they waited for Xena to do something in response. But instead, she just took the hit and then returned her gaze forward as she stared angrily at Clover. She knew that retaliating wouldn't do her any good. And would only end up with people getting hurt and making her and Gabrielle's situation even worse. 

CLOVER
 You're a very smart woman Xena. And I sincerely doubt that's a more recent development either.  You knew full well what you were doing. You just didn't care. 

XENA
You're right. I did know what I was doing. And I admit that what I've done is inexcusable.  But you still can't hold Gabrielle responsible for my actions. 

CLOVER
But she is responsible for hers. She made you queen knowing full well what you've done. 

XENA
Gabrielle was at death's door and not in her right mind when she made that decision. 

CLOVER
And yet you still went right along with it anyway? That really says a lot about who you really are that you would take advantage of the woman you claim to love like that. 

GABRIELLE
(angry tone) Stop it right now! 

Everyone looked at Gabrielle. 

GABRIELLE
(angry tone) Yes, Xena's done terrible things in her past. "Her past" being the key point there. But she IS NOT that person anymore. And yes I knew about it long before we came here. I'm the one who decided it was best to not say anything about her past. Not that we wanted to intentionally mislead anyone. We simply didn't want it to cause any issues. And yes I still made her queen of my own volition because I knew that She would make a good leader to our people. And regulations of what Xena just said, I did know exactly what I was doing when I named her my successor. 

XENA
Gabrielle stop. There's no need for you... 

Gabrielle looked at Xena. 

GABRIELLE
No Xena I won't let them make you out to be something you're not anymore. Or make it sound like you manipulated or forced me into doing anything that I did completely of my own free will. 

Gabrielle returned her focus to Clover and the rest of the village. 

GABRIELLE
So yes I knew full well what I was doing when I gave Xena my right of caste. I made her queen because I knew that she would do what was best for our people. And even standing here now I'd do it again because she is a good person and a good ruler.  Regardless of what she's done in her past. 

CLOVER
But of all people and given what you cleanly already knew, why still pick her? 

GABRIELLE
Because at the time I felt and still feel that it was the right call. Especially after learning how Xena was instrumental in saving those other Amazons while I was incapacitated. And had it been anyone else in her place the outcome of that whole situation would've led to very tragic results. I'm certain of it. 

CLOVER
And what makes you so sure? 

Gabrielle explained that while she was in the coma she had slipped into during Xena's dealing with the situation with the monster Echidna, Xena had been rendered unconscious and they were somehow able to communicate with one another. And as a result, Xena had realized that she was the only realistic chance they had of defeating Echidna. Because as Gabrielle had explained the tale to her only a powerful enough weapon or being would be able to slay the creature. And whether it was her weapons, Xena herself, or a combination of both, Xena had managed to defeat the near-immortal Echidna and save the local people of the area. Both Amazon and not. And due to killing Echidna had been given a miracle mixture made from the monster's blood which in turn had saved Gabrielle's life. 

GABRIELE
So don't you see, if it weren't for Xena being queen at the time who knows how many more people both Amazon and not would've fallen victim to that monster? And the only reason I'm here right now is because of her. 

CLOVER 
So what I'm hearing from you Gabrielle is that you have absolutely no remorse for what you've done. That the ends justify the means. 

GABRIELLE
I'm sorry that you feel lied to. That was never my intention. But yes, I did what I felt was best for the Amazon people. And given the events that took place shortly afterward I still stand by my decision. Making Xena queen was the right choice. 

CLOVER
So you say. 

Clover turned her attention to the rest of the women in the large room. 

CLOVER
But I'll let all of you decide what to think of this for yourselves. Given everything we now know, how can what these two have done not be seen as a betrayal? 

Again Gabrielle argued that neither she nor Xena had any ill intentions toward anyone there. But her words were quickly drowned out as the villagers began to agree with Clover. Some talking to one another and others to themselves. 

IRIS
All this time we thought we could trust them. 

CORA
Even after seeing those memories during their tests before their joining. I never imagined anything like this was even a possibility. 

SKYLA
How is this possible? They've just been lying to us this whole time. 

Both Xena and Gabriella made another attempt to defend one another but their efforts fell on deaf ears as the crowd was wiped into a frenzy as the angry villagers began to call for the justice that they felt was necessary. 

CLOVER
The people have heard the evidence. And to be clear on the charges. For Gabrielle, for your knowledge of Xena's crimes and keeping them hidden from your people. For your willingness and compliance in handing over the title of queen to her knowing her past crimes against the Amazons. You are charged with treason towards the Amazon people. So per Amazon law, how do we find her? 

One by one the room stood and gave their vote for Gabrielle's guilt or innocence on the matter. Gabrielle shook her head in disbelief as one by one she heard the vast majority of the women utter the word guilty. Xena was livid as she yelled at the villagers. 

XENA
(infuriated tone) You can't be serious. Have all of you people gone insane? 

After a moment the vote was complete and Clover spoke as she confirmed the official call. 

CLOVER
Gabrielle you are found guilty of treason of the Amazons. 

GABRIELLE
No, this isn't right. I would never... 

Clover continued speaking, ignoring Gabrielle's pleas of innocence. 

CLOVER
And as such in compliance with Amazon law, you are stripped of your rank as queen, your right of caste resended, and banished from any and all Amazon tribes for life.

Xena pulled on her chains but was held in place by multiple villagers. 

XENA
(angry tone) You cant!  Under what authority do have the right to do that?! 

Clover looked at Xena. 

CLOVER 
Amazon law gives anyone the right to strip the queen of her rank if she is found to have committed any number of serious crimes. And especially ones that are deemed to have gone against the best interest of her own people. 

XENA
Well, you can take your Amazon laws and shove 'em, Clover. Because I don't know when you became the one who dictated what went on around here or had any say in how the laws and punishments were carried out, but I refuse to let you take something that's meant so much to Gabrielle away from her like this. 

CLOVER
You make it sound like you have a say in the matter. 

Xena looked at Ephiny. 

XENA
Ephiny there's no way she can do this is there? 

Ephiny sighed, not liking any of the situation as much as Xena. 

EPHINY
Unfortunately according to the laws, she can. 

Xena growled to herself as Gabriella spoke. 

GABRIELLE
It's okay Xena if that's the price I have to pay for standing by you then that's what I'll do. My life was fine before I became an Amazon and it'll be fine again if I'm not one anymore after today. As long as I have you and Aurora that's all I really need. 

XENA 
It's still not right Gabrielle. You've done nothing wrong. 

CLOVER
Says one of the worst criminals the Amazon people have seen in recent memory. 

Xena scowled at Clover

XENA
(Angry tone) Oh, go fuck yourself, Clover. You know what if that's how you people wanna be fine. Banish us. If this is how you're gonna treat us after everything and let yourself be manipulated by Alti.  We'll leave this village, and I promise you will never hear from us again. 

Clover stepped closer to Xena but still out of her reach just in case she got free of her restraints. 

CLOVER
Why do you think that you're going anywhere, Xena? The crimes you've committed warrant far more severe punishment. 

GABRIELLE
What are you saying?  I am NOT leaving Xena here to rot away in some cell for the rest of her life. 

Clover didn't answer as she returned to addressing the crowd and addressing Xena's thus far unpunished crimes. 

CLOVER
And Xena, you are accused of numerous violent crimes against the Amazons. Of which were shown to us by that woman Alti and that you, yourself don't deny.  You are also accused of conspiracy and treason of the Amazon people. 

Clover turned to the rest of the village and again asked for their vote on whether or not they felt that she was innocent. And again with even more votes cast against her, the final vote came back as an emphatic guilty. Although given that Gabrielle had already been handed down the same verdict, while neither Gabrielle nor Xena were happy with it, given how things were going it didn't exactly surprise them. But what Clover said next certainly did. Well, it shocked Gabrielle at least. Because had already figured that this would likely be what would happen one way or another if these people had ever found out what she had done.

CLOVER
Xena, you have been found guilty on all charges. Including treason, mass murder, conspiracy, avoiding punishment, and laying unlawful claim to the throne of the queen. 

GABRIELLE
(angry tone) This is ridiculous. Nothing about what Xena's done here has been unlawful or a crime of any kind.

CLOVER
The things she's done to our people automatically disqualify her eligibility for the throne. There is no way that either of you didn't already know that. That was the whole point of your being on trial here today too Gabrielle and not just Xena. 

GABRIELLE
(angry tone) Fine then just banish her too already so we leave and just be done with this nonsense. 

CLOVER
Like I already told Xena. Banishment is far too lenient of a punishment for the severe crimes that she's committed. 

That was when Gabrielle remembered just how the Amazons typically dealt with most of their worst criminals. Which had been something that as queen herself, Gabrielle was greatly opposed to handing down as a sentence when put in the very few situations where it had been appropriate to use as punishment. 

GABRIELLE 
No, you can't do this. 

CLOVER
Due to you're actions Gabrielle, you're no longer queen or an Amazon. And therefore have no say in what happens to those within our jurisdiction. 

Clover turned her attention to Xena and scowled at her with a hateful passion. 

CLOVER
So in compliance with Amazon law, Xena you are stripped of your queen hood, your right of caste is revoked and you are hereby sentenced to death. 

The crowd murmured in mostly approval as Clover started that the time and method of Xena's execution would be determined within the next few days. Gabrielle struggled to get to Xena as several guards came and took them both away. Placing Gabrielle under house arrest until she was removed from the village with Aurora. And moving Xena to a jail cell where she was to stay until her execution was carried out. 

GABRIELLE
No! Clover, you can't do this. No, Xena! 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy