Pt.8

The village was in a frenzy as everyone rushed to do what they could to prepare their defenses with very little time. Xena roamed the village square giving out orders to various women who raced around the area. As she shouted commands Gabrielle walked over holding Aurora.

GABRIELLE
I just spoke to one of the guards, she said that the army isn't far. They'll likely be here within the hour.

XENA
Damn. I was hoping to have a little more time. Did they say how many?

GABRIELLE
A lot. A few hundred, at least.

Xena sighed as she gave another order to a passerby before returning her attention to Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
What are we gonna do Xena? This village doesn't have the people or weaponry to take on those numbers.

XENA
We'll figure it out, Gabrielle. We always do. Like I said earlier, we are not going to let whoever these people are take this village. You believe me, don't you?

Gabrielle smiled slightly as Xena placed her hands on Gabrielle's upper arms.

GABRIELLE
Of course, I do. I know that even against odds like this if anyone can save the people here it's you.

XENA
No the people here are gonna save themselves. I'm just gonna help.

GABRIELLE
Everyone else is working to prepare. What do you want me to do?

XENA
Nothing right now. Your job will come when the enemy gets here. These people are gonna need their queen leading them.

GABRIELLE
Good point. Then I'll have to find someone to watch Aurora.

XENA
I've already ordered the non-combatants to gather in one of the large houses in the back of the village. They're over there getting ready to go. Take Aurora to them and she'll be safe.

Xena motioned to where the group was gathering.

GABRIELLE
Okay. I'll go bring her over.

Gabrielle walked away carrying the little girl as Xena continued to help the villagers prepare.

EPHINY
Anything yet?

XENA
No.

It was a little later as Ephiny walked up to Xena and Gabrielle as they stood beside their mounts a good distance from the village with an army of Amazons standing by not far behind.

XENA
According to the scouts they should be coming up over the horizon up ahead. Fortunately, even though they have the numbers and the element of the unknown, we have the advantage of being more familiar with the area, and given that there's only one way in or out of the village, the only real option they have for an attack is a frontal assault. So that gives us a leg up on keeping them out. All we really need to do is hold the line to prevent them from breaking through our defenses.

GABRIELLE
You make it sound simple.

XENA
That's because strategy wise it is. It's the practical execution of the plan that can get tricky.

EPHINY
Well hopefully this time that won't be the case.

The conversation was broken up when the trio heard yelling and looked ahead to see one of the scouts on horseback galloping towards them.

AMAZON SCOUT
They're here! The enemy army is here!

Xena turned to face the combatants of the village as she grabbed Argo's saddle.

XENA
This is it people. Ready or not they're here. So let's give these bastards a beating they'll never forget and make sure that they never even think of coming back here ever again.

The crowd cheated as both Xena and Gabrielle got on their horses. With a number of others doing the same. Then taking their place in front of the others Xena and Gabrielle drew their weapons as they finally spotted the advancing enemy army in the distance. But what they saw was just about one of the worst things that they could have seen in their situation. Gabrielle felt a chill run down her spine at the sight of what was heading their way.

GABRIELLE
Xena, that looks like a lot more than a few hundred soldiers.

XENA
Yeah, it's more like at least a couple thousand.

GABRIELLE
I don't get it, what kind of person sends thousands of soldiers against one single village? I don't care how ready we are there's no way we can defend against an army of this size. What are we gonna do?

XENA
The only thing we can do. And that's fight to the last one standing.

Xena sat watching the advance for a bit until the first line of the enemy forces came closer and that was when Xena looked back and shouted to a large group of women behind them.

XENA
Archers fire!

And with that two-word command, a long row of bow-wielding Amazons unleashed a hail of arrows that they had loaded and ready. The projectiles arched through the air and rained down on the front grouping of the enemy army. The arrows littered the field as the majority landed hits on the enemy, dropping a good number of them with multiple arrows piercing some of them. As they dropped the others behind them continued forward and Xena gave the signal for another volley of arrows to be fired. Another group released their drawn bowstrings and sent the next wave of arrows towards the enemy. Again the majority of the shots hit and took down more of the army. Xena watched as they dropped and was about to give the signal for the next wave of arrows but paused when she saw something that she couldn't believe.

XENA
What the...

GABRIELLE
Xena you're seeing this too right?

XENA
Yes. I guess the villagers weren't kidding about these guys being inhumanly durable.

Xena and Gabrielle couldn't believe their eyes as every single enemy that had been taken down by the arrows rose once again and continued forward toward the village. Xena gave another order for more arrows to be fired. But again as some went down, the same ones soon got back up and carried on as if they weren't even hurt. Xena scowled as she saw this unbelievable phenomenon.

XENA
(Angry tone) I knew something about those bodies before didn't seem right. Just what in Tartarus are they?

Xena got down from Argo and walked over to the nearest archer and took her bow and a few arrows. She then took aim and fired at one of the enemy. The arrow struck the soldier square in the chest and dropped him as she thought it would. But once again the soldier got up. Xena scowled as she sent another arrow at the soldier and this time hit him right through the eye. Immediately the soldier fell. But this time he stayed down. Getting an idea Xena took one more arrow and fired at another one of the enemy, nailing another shot to the head. Xena watched the soldier fall and waited for them to get back up like others had, only this one stayed down.

XENA
Interesting.

Xena gave the Amazon back her weapon and shouted to the rest of the archers.

XENA
Aim for the head if you can that seems to keep them down.

Xena went back to Argo and got back in her saddle.

GABRIELLE
What was that about?

XENA
Just an idea. Despite what they might look like, whatever we're fighting here are clearly not human. At least not normal ones anyway. It seems like they can withstand much more damage than any normal person should. So I decided to check if the same was true for hitting vital points as well. And well when it comes to damage to the head the normal rules that usually work seem to still apply.

GABRIELLE
At least that's something. But still facing an enemy that's immortal unless we hit the right spot. Pair that with everything else and...

XENA
I know.
(Sarcasm) This whole situation just keeps getting better and better.

Xena gave another signal to the archers as the enemy continued to close in. After taking down more of the enemy with less getting up as more of the arrows hit their apparent weak point, Xena raised her sword and looked at Gabrielle, who gave her a nod to signal that she was ready to go. Then with a downward swing of her blade, Xena yelled to the other's.

XENA
Move out. Don't let them near the village!

As soon as Xena finished those words she got Argo moving straight into a gallop, as Gabrielle rode alongside her with the other fighters charging right behind them. And with the first clash, the battle for the village was on. A battle of which while it would only last for one day, it would become a conflict that would drastically change everything for those defending the village forever.

pt.9

Steel clashed, yells rang out and bodies fell as Xena, Gabrielle and the others clashed against the oncoming army. Weaponry of varying types collided as the Xena, Gabrielle, and the Amazons fought to defend the village from the unnatural invading enemy. Xena yelled as she raced by an enemy while on Argo and swung her sword, cutting them down at the throat and moving to the next as she plunged the blade into the enemy's chest. She then took her boot and used it to shove the soldier away and off of her blade. Another came at her and she kicked them away before carving through yet another as she continued forward. Xena let out a yell as she rode straight for a large group of enemy soldiers. She slashed, stabbed, and hacked her way through the huddled mass, cutting down anything that came near her. Once through that particular grouping, Xena pulled back on Argo's reigns as she turned around to briefly check on the others that were fighting further behind her and scowled when she saw most of the enemies that she had just cut down getting back up despite the damage that Xena had inflicted on them being enough to take down even the toughest of normal opponents as even more of the enemy army came her way.

XENA
(Irritated tone) What do I have to do to you to keep you down?

With a yell Xena got Argo moving again as she charged right for the group once more. She swung her sword in varying arcs as the blade sliced and carved its way through the opposing army. She charged through the gathering of enemies while cutting down everything around her and leaving a multitude of fallen bodies in her wake. Once getting through the group, Xena turned around and was greeted with the disheartening sight of almost every opponent that she had just cut down not once, but twice now returning to their feet for her to have to face a third time.

XENA
(Irritated tone) This is ridiculous.
(Thinking to herself) Hitting these things vital points from up here is easier said than done when there's this many crowding around me like this.

Xena swung her blade, along with throwing out punches and kicks as she fended off the enemies that surrounded and closed in on her. As she fought one of the enemy swiped at Xena and landed a hit with their sword, cutting her thigh. Feeling the pain of her flesh being opened, Xena let out a yell that was more anger than pain and looked at the wound in her leg. With a scowl on her face and fed up with the insanity of fighting enemies that wouldn't stay down unless certain areas on them were targeted, Xena took her sword and rammed the blade through the enemy that had landed the hit on her. It plunged into the enemy's chest and stopped their motion of attack as their arms fell limp to their side and dropped their weapon as Xena took her boot and shoved them off of her blade as they dropped to the ground where this time remained completely unmoving. Quickly another of the enemies surrounding Xena attacked but was almost immediately taken down with a slash to the throat that ended their threat to the village. Then letting her battle cry ring out Xena vaulted from her place on Argo's back as she flipped up over the mare's head and drove her blade into one of the enemies that stood a little in front of the horse as she came down on top of them taking them to the ground. As soon as Xena landed she grabbed her chakram and hurled it towards some of the enemies coming for her. The circular-bladed weapon flew through the air and sliced multiple enemies' throats as it bounced around. As soon as her chakram was in flight Xena plunged her sword into the chest of the enemy that was still beneath her before quickly yanking it out and rolling forward to avoid an incoming strike. She stood up and blocked another incoming attack before kicking the attacker's knee out from under them and as they went down to one knee Xena spun her blade to point downward and proceeded to drive it straight to the back of the enemy's neck, out the front and into the ground. As another enemy came up behind her, Xena heard them coming and kicked her foot back, pushing them back slightly as she pulled her sword from the enemy in front of her and they dropped and stayed down as Xena spun around and swung her sword with precision and sliced the throat of the enemy she had just kicked, taking them down permanently as well. With her blood pumping and nothing but the enemy around her, Xena unleashed her full warrior instincts. She let out a furious roar as she slashed, carved, stabbed, kicked, punched, and threw out any other type of attack she could as she took down enemy after enemy all the while doing her best to land as many strikes to the opponent's vital points as she could to prevent them from getting back up. Blood covered everything around Xena as she carved her way through the sea of enemies that almost seemed to have no end.

GABRIELLE
(Frustrated tone) Come on just stay down.

Gabrielle threw a series of rapid strikes with the bottom of her sais into an enemy's midsection before bringing the bottom of one up into their jaw and knocking her opponent off their feet. However, she was disappointed when the enemy got back up while she began fighting off another enemy.

CLOVER
Gabrielle, you have to go for a killing blow. Otherwise, they'll just keep getting back up.

Gabrielle dodged a hit and looked over to see Clover burying her axe blade into the chest of an enemy before looking at her.

CLOVER
I know you don't really like killing unless you absolutely have to, but you don't have to worry about that here. These things aren't people. Not really anyway. Despite what they look like.

Reminded that she didn't have to hold back, Gabrielle flipped her sais upwards and thrust the point of one up into an attacking enemy's neck. Then pulling it back out the enemy fell and didn't get back up. Gabrielle was forced to remind herself what Clover had just said and that she was defending innocent people in killing the enemy. All across the battlefield, the women of the village were fighting against the unnatural enemy, with both sides taking on casualties. The fighting carried on as suddenly Xena felt an odd sensation run down her spine and sneered as she cut down another enemy before looking around the battlefield.

XENA
(Angry tone) I should've known. I know you're here. Come on and show yourself.

A voice rang out as the others around heard the sound over the fighting and tried to decipher its origin while fighting off the enemy army.

?
(Sinister/ angry tone) You weren't supposed to be here Xena. It seems like you just can't stop yourself from getting in my way.

XENA
(Angry tone) Then why don't you come out and do something about it?
(Mocking) Or are you afraid that you'll just end up failing again like last time?

A furious roar echoed through the air before the voice faded away completely. A moment later Xena heard the voice again but this time from behind her as the surrounding enemies seemed to stop coming at her.

?
Fine Xena have it you're way.

With a scowl on her face and gripping her sword tightly in one hand, Xena slowly turned around and wasn't in the least surprised by who it was that she saw standing there with an evil look in their eyes.

ALTI
(Sinister tone) At least now I can finish what I started last time

TO BE CONTINUED... 

pt.10

With the battle continuing to rage around her, Xena stood amongst the bodies of the multiple enemies she had taken down. She gripped the handle of her blade tightly as she glared at the newly materialized Alti who stood a little way from her.

XENA
Alti. What are you doing here?

Alti looked around at the chaos of the battle that surrounded them.

ALTI
I did say that it wasn't over and I'd be back last time didn't I?

XENA
You mean when you failed in getting rid of me and Gabrielle for whatever you were planning and took off when you realized that you had lost?

Alti scowled.

ALTI
That was only a temporary setback. One that I was sure to not let happen again.
(Angry tone) Which begs the question as to why you're here. You and Gabrielle were supposed to be gone.

XENA
So you've been watching the village since our last little meeting. Just waiting for us to leave. But what made you so sure we would?

ALTI
You forget Xena, I know you. You've never been one to stay in one place for too long. So I knew it was only a matter of time until you moved on from this place and then it would be all mine for picking.

Seeing Alti and with no enemies coming at her, Gabrielle moved to stand beside Xena as she stared angrily at the evil sorceress.

GABRIELLE
What do you want with this village? Why do all this? The last time you were here you said the village had something you wanted. So what is it? What exactly are you after here?

Alti scowled at Gabrielle.

ALTI
(Angry tone) I knew I should've just killed you when I had the chance. If it weren't for you Xena would be gone and I'd already have what I came here for.

Xena smirked.

XENA
Well, we all have our regrets now, don't we?

ALTI
Yes I suppose we do

Alti's expression changed to a sinister grin as she returned her focus to Xena.

ALTI
But luckily unlike you Xena I can easily fix the things I regret. Just like this.

Using her power Alti made a sword from a fallen body near her rise from the ground and float in midair beside her. The blade then turned so the point was aimed directly at Gabrielle and without warning it shot towards her with incredible speed.

XENA
Gabrielle!

On instinct, Xena dove and sent both Gabrielle and herself to the ground as the projectile just barely missed hitting either of them as it sailed past them and stuck into the earth just behind them.

XENA
You okay?

GABRIELLE
Yeah, thanks.

Xena then glared at Alti as she and Gabrielle got back up.

XENA
(Angry tone) That's it, I've had enough of your cheap tricks and cryptic wording. I don't care what you're after here you aren't gonna get it. I think it's time that I finally purge this world of your evil once and for all.

Xena yelled as she sent her chakram towards Alti. The shamaness didn't even flinch as the bladed weapon careened directly at her. Instead, she just smiled as the chakram came to an abrupt halt just inches from her face.

ALTI
Come now Xena you should know something like that won't work on me.

Alti then reached up and barely touched the suspended blade in front of her and it suddenly shot back towards Xena and Gabrielle at high speed. The two hastily moved apart and dodged the weapon as it flew between them and embedded itself into the chest of one of the unfortunate Amazons that were behind them. Xena and Gabrielle watched as the woman fell and layed motionless before turning their attention back to Alti. Seething with rage Xena yelled as she charged Alti. But before Xena could reach Alti she found herself being lifted into the air by Alti's power.

ALTI
You still don't get it do you Xena? You are not going to stand in my way this time. I will take what I want from this village and you can't stop me.

With a flick of her wrist, Alti sent Xena flying back. Xena hit the ground and rolled as she quickly got back to her feet.

ALTI
And once I get my hands on the power that lies here nothing will stand in my way from doing whatever I wish. This whole world will be mine to do with as I please.

GABRIELLE
Wait that's what you're after? God's I completely forgot about it even being here.

XENA
But it's supposed to be hidden, how did someone like you even find out about it or that it's here? Or even where this village even was?

Alti grinned.

ALTI
I saw it in that fowl-mouthed Amazon friend of yours mind when I was giving her a peek into your history. In truth, I've been looking for it for a very long time. Which was why I knew that I needed to get rid of you. Then I could take it's power for myself.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) So everything you put us through since coming back has been for that?

ALTI
Yes. And since you spoiled my plans once already I made sure to come well prepared this time just in case the two of you showed back up here. And it seems I was right to do so. So although you're here this time not you, Xena, or anyone else will stop me from taking what's hidden within this village. The power of the Fountain Of Youth Will be mine.

Both Xena and Gabrielle stood side by side as they readied their weapons.

GABRIELLE
We'll never let that happen. Xena, myself, and everyone else here will stop you just like we did last time.

ALTI
You think so but this time I made sure to come prepared.

XENA
I guess that explains this little army then. This is all your doing.

ALTI
That's right Xena. Just another little trick I picked up in my absence. I can now raise the dead to do whatever I command.

Gabrielle shook her head in disbelief as the unnatural durability of the enemy army suddenly made sense.

GABRIELLE
So you're telling me that all of the people attacking us are already dead? We've been fighting moving corpses.

XENA
When you think about it they make the perfect fighting force. Being that they're already dead I doubt they feel pain. So that just lets them keep going while a normal living person would be slowed down or unable to keep fighting once they took enough damage.

ALTI
Exactly.

Alti looked around at a mass of her army that layed across the battlefield, a majority of them taken down by Xena.

ALTI
Although it would seem that doesn't mean they're not unable to be put down once again with a focused effort.

XENA
Too bad for you I discovered your seemingly unstoppable army's fatal flaw.
(Half joking) Or rather re-fatal flaw I should say.

Alti scowled.

ALTI
Make your jokes and smart comments while you can Xena. You might've found a slight weakness in my army, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to stop me.

XENA
Sure we can. It might take time but all we have to do is hit their weak points. And one by one your army will fall for good. And then so will you.

Alti gave a sinister smile that told Xena and Gabrielle that the sorceress obviously had something else up her sleeve.

ALTI
I don't think so, Xena. You see I compiled my army of much more than these little nobodies that I just grabbed because they knew how to swing a weapon. I found a good number of fighters that you might recognize Xena. And I'm sure that they can't wait to see you.

With a snap of her fingers, there were multiple quick flashes of light behind Alti. After a moment the light faded to reveal multiple figures standing behind her with Xena and Gabrielle recognizing all of them.

GABRIELLE
Unbelievable.

XENA
I know I could've gone the rest of my life without seeing any of them again.

Alti smiled.

ALTI
(Mocking tone) What's wrong Xena, Gabrielle? Not excited for this little reunion? Because I know that all of them have been looking forward to seeing you again for quite some time. So I think I'll leave you alone so you can all get reacquainted.

With an evil cackle, Alti vanished, leaving Xena and Gabrielle surrounded by the new arrivals on the battlefield. All of whom were the enemies that they had faced in the past. Both sense they had first come to the village as well as a few others from before discovering the secret village. None of which were happy to see Xena and Gabrielle once again as they all now had the perfect opportunity to extract their vengeance on them both. With the gathering of so many powerful foes to join Alti's already overwhelming army, Xena, Gabrielle, and the other Amazons now stood in even more peril. As the fate of the village and the fountain of youth hung in the balance. As was the fate of the known world if Alti was to get her hands on the fountain of youth's power where she surely plunge the world into unimaginable darkness.

pt.11

With the battle for the village continuing around them, Xena and Gabrielle stood before the group of new arrivals that Alti had just summoned before disappearing. Neither of them could believe their eyes as they both gripped their weapons looking around and those surrounding them.

XENA
I see that Alti wasn't joking when she said that she could raise the dead.

GABRIELLE
This can't be happening.

One of the new arrivals stepped forward holding a large dagger and smiled an evil grin at Gabrielle.

VELASCA
(Mocking tone) My don't you look different from the last time I saw you? What's wrong Gabrielle, not happy to see me?

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE
You pretended to be my friend and then tried to kill me for my title so in a word, no, I'm not.

VEALESCA
Don't be ridiculous I never said I was your friend.

CELINE
Though I suppose I can't say that's true for me now can I?

Celine walked up and stood beside her mother Vealesca.

CELINE
It seems that now both myself and Mother have an opportunity here to finally give you and Xena what you both deserve. And speaking of mothers and children, how is little Aurora by the way?

Xena clenched her fists as she glared at Celine.

XENA
(Angry tone) Don't you dare even mention her name.

KAI
It's too bad that Gabrielle actually managed to survive that ordeal. I would've loved to see you a broken and defeated woman Xena.

The semi-resurrected Kai emerged from the group of others as she rested her hand on the handle of her sword on her hip.

XENA
(Sarcasm) Sorry to disappoint.

Another voice was heard as a large man stepped forward with an axe resting on his shoulder.

ARSEN
Ooo so many Amazons.

The dead slaver looked around a bit to get his barrings before his eyes landed on Gabrielle and he smirked.

ARSEN
(Condescending tone) Well if it isn't the little Amazon queen. Just look at you little girl, you look like you're all grown up.

Gabrielle shot Arsen a brief look of disapproval before paying no more mind to the dead slavers' comment as two more familiar voices spoke. In response, Xena and Gabrielle turned around to see Alanis and Nova, the two dead members of the Amazonian Council who blamed Gabrielle for the destruction of the sacred tree and were later killed during the Great Amazon War.

NOVA
Well if it isn't our traitor queen and her warrior bitch.

ALANIS
I think it's time to finally remove you from power permanently. After all, it was your fault that the whole Amazon nation was thrown into war.

GABRIELLE
You're wrong. You were all being manipulated.

ALANIS
So you say.

XENA
She's right. We tried to tell you back them but all of that was a set up by Ares.

There was a sudden flash of light and Xena sneered when it faded and revealed another figure that stood directly in front of her.

ARES
Did I hear someone mention my name?

XENA
(Irritated tone) Oh come on you're not even dead, why are you here?

GABRIELLE
Yeah, last I knew Artemis had you locked away for causing that civil war among the Amazons.

Ares shrugged casually.

ARES
One minute I'm under lock and key due to that bleeding heart sister of mine and then that chick ALTI shows up and says that she'd set me free if I helped her get rid of some village or something.

Ares smiled at Xena.

ARES
I guess it's just a bonus treat for me that you happen to be here. Which reminds me did I hear someone else here mention you have a kid?

XENA
Why jealous?

ARES
(Lying) No.
I'm just surprised. I'm guessing you finally came to your senses and ditched Gabrielle for something better.

Xena smirked as she gave Gabrielle a knowing look.

XENA
Nope.

Ares looked at Gabrielle as Xena just smiled at him as she could only imagine what was going through his head. The god of war looked Gabrielle up and down as he raised his eyebrow in suspicion.

ARES
Huh, who would've thought that there was apparently more to you than meets the eye. Well except for Xena of course.

Catching what Ares was thinking, Gabrielle became flustered at his implication.

GABRIELLE
(Annoyed tone) Oh for love of... It was Artemis. She gave us the ability to have a child. And before you even ask, no there were no additional body parts that women don't have involved.

Gabrielle gave Xena a hard nudge in her side as she looked vet her.

GABRIELLE
(Annoyed tone) And I thought I told you to stop doing that.

Xena shrugged.

XENA
What? I didn't say anything that wasn't true.

GABRIELLE
(Annoyed tone) Oh please you knew what you were doing. You just wanted to mess with him.

XENA
Hey, it's not my fault the pervert jumped to conclusions.

ARES
(Defensive tone) Hey, who are you calling a pervert?

?
Could this conversation be any more repulsive? Yeah, yeah Xena and Gabrielle blah, blah, blah. I mean honestly, you would think that a god would have better things to do than be jealous of someone who's sleeping with the scourge that is Xena. Ugh makes me sick.

Xena sighed.

XENA
And just like Ares it seems like I can never fully get rid of you either, can I?

An evil grin flashed as yet another familiar face emerged from behind some of the others.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) Callisto. Why can't you just stay gone?

CALLISTO
Like I told Xena before, she made me what I am and she'll never escape the monster she created. Oh but don't worry Gabrielle I'm pretty sure I saw someone else who's been looking forward to seeing you again too.

Once Callisto finished those last words Gabrielle's eyes went wide as she saw an unimaginable sight. Because there standing beside Callisto was a woman who looked just like Gabrielle used to when she still had her long hair. The woman smiled a sinister grin as she looked at Gabrielle.

?
Hello, mother.

Gabrielle felt a chill down her spine as she didn't want to believe who it was that was standing before her as far too many painful memories came flooding back to Gabrielle as she layed eyes on the one thing that she had truly never wanted to see again in this life or the next.

GABRIELLE
No, it can't be. Hope? But you're supposed to be dead. I gave you that poison after you...

Gabrielle paused as she looked at Xena who was glaring with an intense hatred at both Hope and Callisto. Gabrielle shook her head still in shock, disbelief, and horror as the memories of everything that had happened between herself and Xena because of Hope. Of which Gabrielle usually tried her best to keep buried but in that moment of being face to face with Hope once again they all came flooding back. From Xena and Gabrielle's trip to Britannia where Gabrielle was lured to the cult of the evil one known as Dehawk where she became pregnant with his spawn that show would later name Hope. To her inability to kill Hope after she was born when she had the chance due to not wanting to believe that the child she had given birth to was evil and then lying to Xena about it when Xena tried to convince her of what Hope truly was. Then as a result not long after Xena's son Solan ended up being killed due to an evil plot by Hope and Callisto. The combination of Solan's death and learning that Gabrielle had lied about killing Hope which had resulted in her son's death ended up driving Xena to a very dark place. The tragedy ended up creating a deep rift between Xena and Gabrielle that led to so much hurt and anger between them that they literally tried to kill each other. Of which Xena had nearly succeeded in a particularly brutal fashion. Suddenly Gabrielle felt a firm but gentle grip on her hand that brought her back to the present as she looked down for a moment to see Xena's hand linked with hers before looking back up into Xena's eyes. It was there that Gabrielle remembered what came after the incidents surrounding Solan's death. Their unexpected, accidental trip to the strange land of Illusia. And although it was in a rather unorthodox method, it was there that Gabrielle and Xena ended up finding healing and forgiveness for both one another as well as themselves. Which had saved everything that they had together as they found a way to move on from such a dark time in their lives. Coming back to the present, Gabrielle pushed aside her shock and watched as Xena turned her focus to Hope and Callisto as her expression changed from the one of love that Gabrielle had seen directed at her to a look of sheer hatred. Because while Xena and Gabrielle had forgiven one another for everything that happened involving Gabrielle lying about Killing Hope and Solan's death. Hope and Callisto themselves were another story entirely. Knowing what Xena was feeling at the moment, Gabrielle returned her attention to Hope and very carefully chose her words to not cause Xena any more pain than what she had already endured over the loss of the son she had given up raising to protect him from the exact kind of fate he still ended up suffering.

GABRIELLE
Well, we all know what you did. And I killed you for it. So why are you here?

HOPE
What a terrible thing to say to your own flesh and blood. What's wrong Mother aren't you happy to see your own daughter all grown up? Or do you prefer that little replacement child that I heard about?

GABRIELLE
Aurora isn't pure evil. How do you even know about her? And for that matter why do you look just like me before I cut my hair?

Gabrielle's now fully grown demonic doppelganger daughter looked at her with pure evil in her eyes as she smiled a sinister grin.

HOPE
Don't you like it, Mother? They do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all.

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE
Well, whoever said that clearly never met you.

Xena gripped her sword in anger as a number of their allies noticed the group of new arrivals and recognized Valassca, Kai, and Celine among them.

IRIS
What in the world? Isn't that Kai, Celine and...

EPHINY
Velasca.

SKYLA
I recognize several others in the group too. But it's not possible, they're all dead. How are they here?

CLOVER
Damn is that what everyone we're fighting here are? Dead people? What kind of seriously screwed-up shit is going on here?

CORA
Obviously someone incredibly powerful is behind this. I've heard of raising the dead in theory, but to actually do it and at this scale... I fear that this might very well be something that none of us including Xena and Gabrielle have the ability to overcome.

TO BE CONTINUED... 

pt.12

With the arrival of many of the villains from Xena and Gabrielle's past, all of whom aside from Ares were dead, it seemed as though the already dire situation for the village had quickly grown much worse. Xena and Gabrielle stood side by side with their weapons ready. Fighting one or two would have been one thing, but with this many powerful foes standing against them even with the other women's help the odds of them coming out on top against the odds so drastically stacked against them it appeared that the fight might have very likely been over before it even started.

GABRIELLE
Xena, what are we gonna do? We might be able to take some of them but ones like Hope and Ares aren't gonna be easy.

XENA
I know. We still have the rest of Alti's army as well as Alti herself to deal with too.

GABRIELLE
(Sarcasm) Can this get any worse?

Calisto smiled an evil grin.

CALLISTO
It can when we kill you and everyone else here.

XENA
I don't care what the odds are I won't let that happen.

VELASCA
Come on Xena, even you aren't able to defeat all of us. So why don't you just surrender now and make this easier on all of us?

GABRIELLE
Velasca you lived here with us. You were an Amazon. Regardless of how you feel about me and Xena how can you help Alti go against your own people? The same goes for you too Celine and Kai.

VELASCA
I'm dead Gabrielle. Why should I care what happens to anyone here when they're too blind to see that they were following someone who would only lead them to their own demise?

CELINE
I never cared about anyone here. All I wanted was to make you and Xena pay for killing my mother. So if destroying this village is what it takes to make the two of you suffer, then that's just fine with me.

XENA
What about you Kai? You lived here your whole life. How can you be okay with seeing everyone you knew be whipped out and letting Alti get her hands on the very thing that I thought you were supposed to protect?

KAI
(Angry tone) Ha! This place and everyone here stopped meaning anything to me when they all chose you and Gabrielle over someone they've known their whole lives. They decided to defend someone who's done so much evil and then made me out to be the villain when all I wanted to do was defend my people.

XENA
Spare me. If that was actually true then you wouldn't have gone after Gabrielle just to try and get to me.

KAI
You can believe whatever you want Xena. Because the fact is that none of that will matter anymore soon enough. Because as long as you and Gabrielle die, the rest of the world can burn for all I care. I'm already dead anyway, so what do I care about what happens to anyone else?

Some of the others from the village stepped forward as they momentarily broke away from the fighting.

FAUNA
How can you say that Kai? It hurt all of us more than you could know to see you leave. We were heartbroken when we heard that you were killed due to your involvement with kidnapping Aurora. None of us wanted that to happen. Even after your exile, we still thought of you as our friend and sister. None of that ever had to happen.

Kai scowled as she looked at Fauna.

KAI
(Angry tone) Oh, give me a break Fauna. You and everyone else here are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. When I try to get rid of Xena and Gabrielle for what Xena did I'm the villain. But when all of you do the same nothing happens to you. All's forgiven and everyone just moves on like nothing happened.

FAUNA
How do you know about that?

KAI
That Alti woman who brought me back told me all about it. I knew I was right about Xena and yet now that you know the truth you still fight alongside both her and Gabrielle. And you say I'm the traitor.

IRIS
So that's it, Kai. You're really going to fight against us and help Alti. What did that woman do to you? You're not even the same person I remember. I thought your hatred for Xena at least came from a place of concern for the village and everyone here.

KAI
The Kai you knew is gone. She died long before Xena killed me when all of you turned your back's on me.
(Angry tone) And now I think it's my turn to return the favor.

Signaling the beginning of the battle between the two groups, Kai drew her sword and yelled as she and the rest of the new arrivals to Alti's Army clashed with the defending Amazons and Xena. Kai ran and jumped at Iris and Fauna as she swung her blade at her former close friends. Iris blocked the hit with her own sword as Fauna shoved Kai back with her staff.

FAUNA
We don't wanna fight you, Kai. Even after everything we still care about you. Please even though you're dead, you can still stand with us again and fight to defend the village that even though you were forced to leave I know you still loved very much.

KAI
(Angry tone) You don't know anything Fauna. I already told you, I don't care what happens to anyone here anymore. All I want now is to spend the rest of eternity knowing that Xena and Gabrielle both suffered very painful deaths and that all of you paid for the way you turned your back's on me.

Kai rushed towards Fauna as she swung her blade. Her attack was blocked by Iris who pushed her back with her own sword.

IRIS
As much as I don't want to, it looks like we don't have a choice but to fight her Fauna.

FAUNA
(Sad tone) I know.

With a yell of sheer hatred, Kai attacked furiously as Fauna and Iris were forced to fight against their semi-resurrected former friend.

VELASCA
Ephiny, I despise you almost as much as I hate Gabrielle and Xena. You knew that I should've been queen and did nothing.

EPHINY
You were never fit to be queen Velasca. And everyone knew it. Which even though her daughter was dead and Gabrielle was still inexperienced, Melosa felt confident that the Amazons would be in good hands if anything happened to her. Which we both know did.

VELASCA
You and I both know that I won a fair fight as a challenge to the throne Ephiny. I should have been queen, not Gabrielle.

EPHINY
Well, Gabrielle IS queen and she's become far better of a ruler to our people than I know you would have ever been.

Velasca drew her daggers and slowly moved towards Ephiny who held her own blade ready to fight.

VELASCA
You know it's those kinds of ridiculous comments and the fact that you have terrible judgment that are the reasons why I never liked you Ephiny.

EPHINY
That's fine, the feeling was always mutual anyway.

VELASCA
Well, I suppose it's nice to see that we can at least agree on something.

Velasca lunged for Ephiny who blocked her attack and then parried into her own as the two faced off against one another.

CALLISTO
Oh come on Xena I know you can do better than that.

Callisto swung at Xena who dodged the attack and landed a series of strikes and knocked Callisto down.

XENA
You mean like that?

Callisto sprung back up to a vertical base.

CALLISTO
No like this!

She threw a kick into Xena's midsection causing her to double over and then followed up by sending her knee into Xena's jaw and as Xena staggered back from the shot Callisto finished the combo with an uppercut that knocked Xena to the ground. Callisto then took her sword and plunged it down at Xena. Quickly Xena caught the flat sides of the blade between her hands and kicked Callisto's leg out from under her. Grabbing her sword that she let go of to catch Callisto's blade, Xena sprung to her feet as Callisto did the same. The two both swung and their blades locked up as they fought to overpower one another.

CALLISTO
I see that you haven't lost your touch Xena while I've been gone. I'd be impressed if the very thought of you didn't make me sick.

XENA
(Sarcasm) I'm flattered.

Xena pushed Callisto back a bit as the two continued their battle. All the while Gabrielle was occupied with a confrontation of her own. She dove and rolled out of the way from a thrown weapon that came her way.

ARSEN
Come on little girl. You won't be so lucky against me this time.

Gabrielle stood and turned just in time as Arsen brought his axe down at her. Quickly Gabrielle raised both of her sai's above her head and hooked them on to the handle just below the axe head. She then turned the sais and redirected the attack to miss her. Not wasting time Gabrielle followed up by throwing the bottom of one of her weapons into Arsen's face. Stunned momentarily Arsen backed off as he rubbed the side of his face.

ARSEN
(Condescending tone) Looks like someone's gotten a little tougher since the last time we met. I'm impressed.

Gabrielle was unphased by his comment as she gave him a quick, confident smile.

GABRIELLE
Oh, trust me you haven't been anything yet.

Gabrielle threw out several shots with the bottom of her sais as she staggered the deceased but living slaver. Arsen scowled angrily at Gabrielle as he remembered that it was likely his underestimating of her that had led to his demise. And this was a mistake that he was going to be sure to rectify.

ARSEN
Good because you never got to see everything that I'm capable of either. I think it's time that I put you in your place little girl.

Arsen swung his axe and Gabrielle ducked out of the way before moving to avoid a fast follow-up attack as the fighting carried on. Meanwhile not far away but still invisible to the world, Alti stood watching over the chaos. A smile appeared on her face as she patiently waited for the village to be overwhelmed by her forces.

ALTI
(Talking to herself) Yes, you can try and fight all you want. But it'll only be a matter of time until you're overrun and then the power of the Fountain Of Youth will be mine.

pt.13

Spread out across the field in front of the village the epic battle waged on. Xena blocked a strike from Callisto's blade and shoved her away as out of the corner of her eye she saw a ball of light coming her way. Quickly Xena swung her sword and sent the orb back the way it came causing it to hit the one who threw it originally threw it square in the chest, that being Ares, Stunned from being hit with his own godly power, Ares scowled at Xena as she carried on fighting off everything that came her way. Meanwhile, Gabrielle was busy with her own battle. She dropped Arsen as she kicked his knee from under him and followed up with a few hard shots with the bottom of her sais to his face. She then flipped one of them and prepared to drive the point into his neck but suddenly found herself being thrown back by an unseen force. Gabrielle landed on her back several feet away and looked up to see Hope walking towards her. Several weapons that had been laying on the ground began to levitate around her as she walked by them. Gabrielle's eyes widened in fear as Hope gave her an evil smile.

HOPE
Goodbye mother.

Without even moving Hope sent the weapons at Gabrielle who scrambled to get out of the way as Hope launched the barrage of deadly weapons towards her. Axes, swords, spears, and maces all came flying Gabrielle's way as she did everything she could to avoid being hit. Multiple weapons stuck into the ground around her as Gabrielle just managed to dodge the continued assault. As the weapons kept coming in Gabrielle heard a yell behind her and speedily moved to the side as Arsen brought down his battle axe and just missed hitting her. She threw out a swinging kick to his midsection and made him stagger back for a moment. But Gabrielle's attention returned to Hope as she heard her demonic daughter yell as more weapons came at her. With the projectiles coming fast and no time to move Gabrielle dove to the ground as the weapons were propelled over her. She then heard a quick, painful groan and turned her head towards the sound. It was then that she saw Arsen impaled by some of the weaponry. Including a dagger that was lodged in his throat. Gabrielle watched as Arsen stood there for a moment and made a horrible gargling sound before falling back and staying down as his consciousness once again disappeared from the mortal realm and his soul returned to Tartarus once more. Hope glared at Gabrielle as she got back up to face her evil offspring.

HOPE
You always were a clever one. But that won't be enough to save you this time Mother.

The chaos continued with Alti's army kept up their push towards the village as they kept pushing their way through the villagers. The fact that the enemy could only be stopped for good by hitting vital points was beginning to become more and more of a problem for the villagers as hitting the weak spots was easier said than done in the heat of battle. Not to mention that the fighting had been going on for some time now and the women of the village were beginning to grow fatigued where as their opponents didn't seem to tire or even feel pain.

WILLOW
I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. It seems like there's no end to them.

Willow swung her spear in a wide sweeping motion as she knocked back a few of the oncoming enemies.

CORA
We have to keep going. The enemy can not be allowed to reach the village. Otherwise, it'll be the end for far more than just us.

Cora dodged another enemy that came at her and gave them a quick shove as she sent them right towards Willow who impaled her spearhead into their chest as she drove them to the ground. Then in one swift motion, Willow used the momentum to vault through the air and drop onto another oncoming opponent and plunged her spear into their chest as well, taking both enemies out for good.

CLOVER
Heads up!

Iris ducked as she heard Clover's voice and saw her axe come flying over her head and lodge itself into the chest of one of the multiple enemies that were charging straight for her. Iris stood upright again and looked back at Clover who just gave a quick wave as she hustled over and tackled another enemy to the ground as she began pummeling them with her fists before being thrown off by another enemy and swarmed by several more. Skyla cut down another enemy as she saw Clover being mauled.

CLOVER
Damn it get off me.

SKYLA
Clover!

Skyla began fighting her way towards Clover as Willow began trying to get to enemies off of her. Skyla used her sword to cut down several enemies in her way as she then heard a loud, angry yell.

CLOVER
(Angry tone) I said, get, off!

With a burst of strength, Clover managed to shove all of the swarming enemies off of her as she emerged from the group with multiple scraps and cuts on various parts of her body but didn't appear to have any serious injuries otherwise.

CLOVER
(Angry tone) That's it I'm sick of this crap. You bastards have officially pissed me off.

Clover then ran to where her axe was, grabbed it, and swung upwards at an enemy slicing right up their torso and dropping them. She then continued onward by kicking another in the stomach and as they bent forward she brought her axe blade down on the back of their neck and right after they dropped to the ground with their head separated from the rest of their body.

XENA
Aren't you sick of doing this Callisto?

Xena's sword locked with Callisto's.

CALLISTO
You mean trying to make your life a living nightmare like you did mine? Not even a little. You forget I live to make you suffer Xena.

XENA
But that's the thing you're already dead.

CALLISTO
Oh details, details. The point is that I'm here now and when I finally kill you and we both go to Tartarus we can fight forever.

XENA
You know it's starting to sound like you enjoy this.

CALLISTO
Oh please Xena you know that because of you I don't enjoy anything.

XENA
Is that supposed to make me feel sorry for you after everything you've done?

CALLISTO
No, because your sympathy or pity means nothing to me, Xena. No all I want from you is to see you in as much of any kind of pain that can possibly be inflicted.

Callisto shoved Xena back and swung at her. Xena dodged her blade and countered with a swipe of her own sword. The two went back and forth with attacks, blocks, and parries. Then with her senses picking up on something, Xena quickly dove to the side as a ball of energy flew by and just missed both Xena and Callisto.

XENA
(Irritated tone) What kind of so-called god of war needs to resort to cheap tactics?

ARES
You call it cheap, I call it smart strategy.

Ares threw out another attack and Xena dove and rolled forward to get out of the way. But as she rolled back to her feet she was met with an attack from the former great Amazonian council member, Alanis.

ALANIS
This time I'm gonna make sure you pay for what you've done Xena.

CALLISTO
Then you had better get in line because Xena's mine.

ARES
(Sarcasm) Now aren't you popular?

XENA
(Sarcasm) Lucky me.

Xena grabbed her chakram and threw it out at the group. They all dodged as Xena leapt at them swinging her sword. The small group scattered as she landed in the middle of the three and caught her chakram as it came back before putting it back on her hip. Xena stood tall and looked between the three as she held her sword ready.

XENA
Well, come on. Three on one, I like those odds.

.

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy