pt.14

With the battle for the village continuing, an orb of energy flew as Xena dodged the attack from Ares. Alanis came at her with a swing of her weapon. Xena ducked out of the way before blocking an incoming strike from Callisto. With her sword still locked with Callisto's, Xena heard Alanis coming up behind her and kicked her foot back into her midsection, and threw another one forward into Callisto's. With the two momentarily stunned Xena ducked as yet another attack from Ares came in. She threw out her chakram at the god who ducked as the weapon flew overhead. Both Alanis and Callisto came back at Xena and she fended off a series of strikes from both women. As the trio traded blows Alanis caught Xena's sword arm and landed a kick to her side. Seeing her opening Callisto swiped her blade, aiming it right for Xena's neck. As she swung Xena's chakram came flying back and Xena quickly caught it with her free hand and used the circular weapon to block Callisto's blade just before it connected with her throat. With her sword in one hand and her chakram in the other Xena summoned a burst of strength as she yelled and shoved both women's weapons away as she then lept up and kicked out both feet, hitting both in the chest and pushing them back before landing back in her normal standing position where she blocked an overhead sword strike by Ares from behind. Ares pushed his blade down towards Xena as she fought to hold him back.

ARES
Give it up Xena. Even you can't win this.

XENA
Why are you even doing this Ares? So Alti freed you, it's not like she has any control over you.

ARES
No, but our goals are somewhat aligned. She wants what's here and I want that village wiped off the face of the earth.

XENA
Why?

Ares leaned closer.

ARES
Simple. That village is special to my sister and I'm gonna show her what happens when anyone mortal or god treats me like an ill-behaved child that needs to be punished by locking me away.

XENA
You started a war among her chosen people just to try and get rid of Gabrielle, their queen all because of your obsession over me. So honestly I'm surprised that Artemis didn't do something more drastic than basically sentencing you to an extended time out.

Xena smirked.

XENA
Or maybe she thought that the blow to your fragile little ego would be a worse punishment than anything else she could do.

Ares scowled.

ARES
I assure you, Xena, there is nothing fragile about me.

XENA
Really? Because you got awfully defensive pretty quickly just now.

ARES
Nice try Xena, but that won't work this time.

Ares pushed Xena away and right towards Alanis who swung at Xena and missed when Xena dodged and landed a kick to her stomach but was unable to follow up when Callisto came back into the fray. Callisto threw an elbow that connected with Xena's cheek and then drove her knee into her stomach. The shot doubled Xena over where she was then hit with Callisto's knee to her face. Xena staggered back as Alanis dove at her with her weapon poised to strike. She connected and tackled Xena to the ground. Xena caught Alanis' wrist as the deceased Amazon attempted to drive a dagger into Xena's chest. Xena let go of her sword and used her other hand to throw a hard punch into the side of Alanis' head. Then she took the opportunity and rolled them both over. Now pinning Alanis beneath her Xena looked ahead as she heard Ares make an angry yell. She then saw him launch another ball of energy towards her. Xena quickly grabbed hold of Alanis and pulled her up in front of her.

ALANIS
What the gah!!

Alanis screamed as Ares's attack slammed into her back. And due to him being a god, his power was enough to take out any of the resurrected enemies without the necessity of hitting vital points. Xena let go and Alanis fell flat and layed motionless as another of Alti's army was defeated.

ARES
(Annoyed/ angry tone) Oh, come on! Again?!

XENA
Just like last time. You really are too predictable Ares.

CALLISTO
He might be, but I'm not. Now stay out of my way Ares and I'll show you how it's done.

Callisto kicked up a fallen sword with her foot and caught it with her free hand as she rushed Xena now wielding two swords. Xena grabbed her own blade once again and blocked the incoming attack. She pushed the one sword back but was left with no opening as Callisto swung the second blade, forcing Xena to stay on the defensive as Ares stood by and watched.

VELASCA
(Angry tone) Ephiny it's about time that I made you pay for standing in my way of becoming queen. And then if she's not already dead I'm going to find Gabrielle and finish what I started.

EPHINY
I always knew there was something wrong with you Velasca. I just never thought that you would actually go as far as you did when you tried killing Gabrielle just to be queen.

Velasca scowled.

VELASCA
(Angry tone) You're almost as pathetic as Gabrielle and as insufferable as Xena. I probably should've targeted you too when I had the chance back then. But I suppose killing you now works just as well.

Velasca lunged at Ephiny with her dagger. Ephiny blocked and pushed her back as she launched her own attack with her sword. Again the two clashed and shoved each other back. Then Velasca quickly grabbed Ephiny's wrist of her sword hand and used her other hand to drive herself dagger right towards her chest. Thinking fast, Ephiny dropped low and tilted her head to the side as Velasca's blade missed its intended target and instead only left an inconsequential cut on her shoulder as it passed barely inches from her face. Then without waiting a moment, Ephiny used her free hand to grab Velasca's dagger arm as she rapidly stood up and used her foot to sweep Velasca's legs from under her. Velasca tumbled to the ground as Ephiny released her hold on her. Undeterred Velasca swept her leg to bring Ephiny down but Ephiny saw it coming and jumped over the leg. But unfortunately, she didn't see the second one coming and was hit with a hard kick to her ribs. Ephiny dropped to a knee as Velasca got up and stabbed at her. Ephiny rolled as she dodged the strike. Quickly she was back on her feet and blocked another incoming attack from Velasca as the two locked weapons as each tried to overpower the other. Meanwhile, from a safe distance, Alti continued to watch the chaos of the battle for the secret village.

ALTI
(Talking to herself) Even if they are able to defeat some of my Army, soon they'll all be too worn down to stop me. Not much longer and I will essentially hold this whole world in the palm of my hand.

pt.15

With bodies from both sides littering the ground the epic battle for the village carried on. Spread out among the chaos, individual fights were still waging onward. One of which was Amarice versus the other deceased Amazon council member Nova. The two Amazon's swords clashed as they fought for dominance. Nova pushed Amarice back and followed up with a swipe of her blade. Amarice hopped back as she avoided the strike. She then launched her own offense with a series of slashes with her sword. Nova avoided the hits and countered with a swift kick to Amarice's stomach and then another to her face. Amarice fell back and looked up as Nova stood over her.

NOVA
Huh, you seem vaguely familiar. Have we met?

AMARICE
Not directly. Though I did fight in the war between the Amazons.

NOVA
Oh yes, I think I remember seeing you. You chose to side with Gabrielle and Xena and their supporters.

AMARICE
Of course, I did. Gabrielle's a good queen and none of what happened back then was her fault.

Amarice kicked Nova away and then hopped to her feet.

NOVA
Ha, you must be joking.

Nova swung at Amarice and the two exchanged multiple rapid sword strikes and blocks.

NOVA
Just look at what's happening now. This village that was supposed to be hidden and protected is in chaos. And why, because an enemy of Xena and Gabrielle tracked them down and then discovered its secret. And now All Amazons as well as everyone else are in danger.

Amarice took a swipe to her upper arm and backed off slightly as she grimaced in pain from the fresh cut as a bit of blood began to run down her arm.

AMARICE
If you're so concerned about the Amazons and the village then why are you helping to attack it?

NOVA
Because once this village falls then there will be no denying the negligence of that shame of a queen Gabrielle and the danger that both she and Xena pose to the Amazon people. Then if they somehow survive this there will be no choice but to take action against them and any of their loyal followers.

AMARICE
You're wrong. Both Gabrielle and Xena are some of our people's greatest allies. And both of them along with the rest of us are gonna protect this village.

NOVA
You're welcome to try.

Nova charged back in and she and Amarice continued their battle. Elsewhere on the battlefield Iris and Fauna were still facing off against their former Amazonian sister and friend Kai.

FAUNA
You need to stop this Kai.

Kai swiped at Fauna with her sword.

KAI
Why should I? This is what happens when you desert one of your own.

FAUNA
You're attacking your own people over something that you were rightfully banished for. You tried to kill our queen just to make Xena suffer.

KAI
(Angry tone) I was doing what was right for our people. We've spent our whole lives in this village together Fauna, but still, you and the others choose those two over one of your own.

IRIS
That's not true and you know it. You were my friend Kai and I'm sorry but you can't blame any of what happened on anyone but yourself.

Kai scowled.

KAI
(Angry tone) How can you seriously stand there and say that? After what happened?

IRIS
Because it's the truth.

KAI
(Angry tone) I'm dead because of them!

FAUNA
You're dead because you kidnapped Gabrielle and Xena's child and tried to kill them both again. No one made you do that. Just like no one made you join Velasca in her assassination attempts on Gabrielle. Which was the whole reason you were exiled in the first place. Everything that happened to you was the direct result of your own actions.

KAI
Fine. Then I guess the same can be said for all of you. This could've all been avoided if none of you trusted Xena in the first place. So I guess what I'm saying is that everything that happens after today is really a direct result of "your own" stupid actions in aligning yourselves with her.

Kai stabbed at Fauna who parried and countered with her own sword strike as the two continued their fight. More fighting continued as Ephiny's battle against Velasca carried on. The two fought as they exchanged punches, kicks, and slashes of their weapons. During the fighting Ephiny landed a hard blow to the side of Velasca's head, staggering her as she backed off. But before Ephiny could capitalize on her advantage she was struck from behind and thrown to the ground. She shook off the hit and moved quickly as a weapon came down at her. She put some distance between herself and her attacker and stood to see Velasca being joined by another familiar face. Ephiny held her sword ready as she looked at her now two opponents.

EPHINY
This probably isn't exactly the place for a family reunion. Or did you two already meet up in Tartarus before you were brought back?

CELINE
(Irritated tone) Is that supposed to be a joke?

VELASCA
(Irritated tone) Now come on Ephiny we all know that you aren't funny.

EPHINY
Who said that was a joke?

Velasca and Celine scowled at Ephiny before looking at each other for a moment and returning their forces forward.

VELASCA
And just when I thought I couldn't like you any less.

Velasca raced towards Ephiny and swung at her. Ephiny blocked but was knocked back by an attack from Celine.

EPHINY
So much for fighting fair I guess.

VELASCA
We all know that life's not fair Ephiny. If it was I would be queen right now and not fighting as part of an army of the dead.

EPHINY
(Frustrated tone) Oh for the love of... yeah Gabrielle became queen instead of you. So why don't you stop acting like a petulant child and get over it.

VELASCA
I'll be over it when she's dead.

Velasca came at Ephiny again and their weapons clashed multiple times as Celine soon joined in and Ephiny fought to keep them back at bay.

HOPE
Come on mother is this the best you can do?

Gabrielle dodged another projectile that Hope sent her way. She then ran at Hope and swung at her but as Hope looked at Gabriellle's hand it suddenly stopped on its own. Gabrielle tried to propel her arm forward but was unable to move it at all.

HOPE
What's the matter mother, having trouble?

Hope gave a sinister smile as she watched Gabrielle try to get free from the unseen force that was keeping her in place. Hope reached out and lightly touched Gabrielle's cheek and Gabrielle pulled her head away as she looked at her half-demon daughter with a scowl.

HOPE
You know it never had to be this way. If you had kept me when I was born maybe things would have turned out differently.

GABRIELLE
After you were born I wanted to keep you so badly you know that.

HOPE
Oh yes, but Xena was convinced that I was evil. So instead of leaving the woman who wanted to see your child dead, you got rid of me instead.

GABRIELLE
But she was right. I only wish I had seen it then and did what I should've done before you...

Hope smiled as she saw that even after all this time Gabrielle still felt some guilt over the death of Xena's son.

HOPE
After I killed that bitch's precious little boy. I heard that she lost it for a while after that. I wonder what she'd do if I killed this daughter of both of yours too.

GABRIELLE
I'll die before I let you anywhere near Aurora.

HOPE
(Sinister tone) If that's what you want then so be it, mother.

Like before more weapons rose off of the ground as Hope used her demonic powers to control them. Gabrielle looked around and saw that she was surrounded on all sides by a plethora of deadly weapons as they hovered in mid-air. She fought harder to escape Hope's supernatural grasp but was unable to get away.

HOPE
This time you can't escape.
(Sinister tone) It's been so nice getting to see you again. Too bad this will be the last time.

With that Hope used her power to send the weapons towards the trapped Gabrielle who could do nothing as the deadly weapons came at her.

GABRIELLE
Hope!!!

pt.16

With a barrage of weaponry coming at her, the last thing Gabrielle heard was Hope's voice as she yelled her daughter's name in a desperate plea for her evil spawn to spare her. Suddenly Gabrielle found herself being tackled to the ground as someone landed on top of her.

?
Now!

With that command, Gabrielle saw a rapid series of arrows being fired directly at Hope. However, the projectiles merely curved away from their intended target as Hope looked at the women surrounding her. The arrows kept coming at Hope as some continued to be deflected while others simply hung in the air around her. Then with an evil smile, the arrows slowly flipped over so they were pointing back at the villagers who fired them as they looked on stunned by Hope's abilities.

HOPE
(Sinister tone) My turn.

Knowing the danger that Hope posed, Gabrielle realized that facing her head-on like this would only result in Hope killing all of them.

GABRIELLE
Everyone get out of the way, now!

Despite her best efforts, Gabrielle's warning came too late as without even moving Hope sent the arrows surrounding her back towards the women that fired them. The projectiles flew out from near Hope as Gabrielle saw several villagers get hit and taken down. With a horrified expression, Gabrielle watched as her own offspring mercilessly slaughtered her people and her friends.

GABRIELLE
No!

Gabrielle turned slightly as she looked to see a familiar face looking on at what Hope had done.

SKYLA
What is she?

GABRIELLE
A living nightmare that I never thought I'd have to see again.

SKYLA
And I thought that Alti woman was bad news.

Skyla and Gabrielle stood up.

SKYLA
You okay?

GABRIELLE
Yeah, thanks.

Skyla and Gabrielle looked at Hope as she eyed Skyla.

HOPE
Aren't you the lucky one? Must be nice to have such loyalty. Too bad you couldn't show the same thing to your own daughter.

Skyla glanced at Gabrielle.

SKYLA
You're a great mother, why's she talking about Aurora?

GABRIELLE
She's not. Now isn't the time to explain but that's Hope. My, other daughter.

SKYLA
Your other what?!

Skyla looked between them as she noticed the fact that other than Gabrielle's current hairstyle, Hope was a mirror image of Gabrielle. Which even with a strong family resemblance was far too strange to be a normal occurrence.

SKYLA
Okay, I have so many questions about all of... this.

Skyla motioned to Hope implying her appearance.

SKYLA
I have to hear the story behind your apparent weird, evil, copy daughter.

Gabrielle was about to respond when she saw another arrow fly by them and toward Hope but was deflected. Gabrielle looked to see Cora walk up to her and Skyla as she loaded another arrow onto her bow.

CORA
Like Gabrielle said, now isn't the time for this Skyla.

SKYLA
Obviously, I didn't mean right now. Geeze Cora give me some credit here.

Hope glared at Gabrielle and the others. Finding the other women annoying.

HOPE
This is the company you chose to keep over your own flesh and blood?

GABRIELLE
If that person only wants to bring destruction and evil to the world, absolutely.

SKYLA
You know if anyone else but Gabrielle had said something like that I might be insulted.

Not amused by Skyla's quips, Hope used her power to grab more weapons.

HOPE
Enough of this. I'll just get rid of all of you along with my so-called mother.

Cora looked at the archers as she called for them to unleash another volley of arrows on her. With that, Gabrielle watched as Cora, Skyla and the rest of the group began rapidly firing at Hope. The half-demon stood still as she used her power to stop the projectiles in mid-flight.

CORA
Don't let up. Spread out and keep firing.

Arrows continued to fly as the Amazons did as Cora said and surrounded Hope. One by one more arrows became suspended in the air by Hope as she found herself becoming increasingly angered by what she saw as an annoying interference from her dealing with Gabrielle.

HOPE
Enough of this. If you insist on interfering with then I'll end your worthless lives personally.
(Sinister tone) Then I'll have Mother all to myself.

Again Gabrielle watched as the arrows began to turn in mid-air and take aim at the others. But still, the villagers continued to fire at Hope seeming not to care that she was stopping every single shot from hitting her. Gabrielle couldn't understand what they were doing. These women weren't dumb and they could plainly see that what they were doing wasn't working. So why were they continuing to do something that they knew had no effect? The arrows continued to gather around Hope as an evil smile crossed her lips.

HOPE
(Sinister tone) I think that's about enough. Say goodbye to all of your little friend's mother.

GABRIELLE
No!

As Gabrielle yelled and Hope was just about to release the hail of arrows, they both heard another voice making an angry yell come from behind them.

HOPE
Oh now wh...

Hope stopped speaking in mid-sentence as both she and Gabrielle turned towards the sound and Gabrielle's eyes went wide at what she saw next when she suddenly saw Hope's body drop to the ground mere seconds after her head was removed. In a bit of shock from basically seeing herself being beheaded it took Gabrielle a moment to register the person standing on the other side of Hope's body as the suspended arrows fell harmlessly back to the ground.

SKYLA
(Happy tone) Clover!

Clover rested her axe on her shoulder as she looked at the others and the scattering of arrows around them.

CLOVER
Looks like I showed up just in time.

Clover looked down at the body in front of her and for the first time, she noticed that it looked like Gabrielle.

CLOVER
What the fuck?! What did I just..?

In a panic, Clover looked up and saw the actual Gabrielle still standing and was relieved that she hadn't accidentally brutally killed her friend. Clover then found herself even more confused as she looked back down at the completely dead Hope.

CLOVER
Uhh does someone wanna tell me who exactly I just killed because this person looks just like Gabrielle did before she cut her hair?

Clover looked back up at the others.

SKYLA
Apparently, it's a long story.

CLOVER
Given that it involves Gabrielle and probably Xena too, somehow that does not surprise me.

Steel collided again and again as Xena continued her fight against Ares and Callisto. She blocked an attack from Callisto and pushed her back as she then fended off a sword strike from Ares. Xena rapidly switched between the two as they continued to come at her. Then with a hard shot to Ares's stomach, Xena focused on Callisto and swung repeatedly forcing her to move back as Xena worked to separate the two. She swung her blade and Callisto blocked, locking the two in a stalemate.

CALLISTO
You seem like you're losing your touch, Xena.

Callisto pushed the weapons closer to Xena's face.

CALLISTO
What's wrong, getting tired?

XENA
Just of you.

Xena shoved Callisto away as she followed up with a series of swings of her sword. Callisto countered and lept over Xena with a flip as she landed right behind her and swung her weapon. Quickly Xena raised her blade over her head and behind her as she blocked the shot. Then she pushed Callisto back slightly as she spun around with a kick that connected with Callisto's face. Callisto staggered a bit as Xena kept up her offense and landed another kick to her stomach and then an elbow to Callisto's face. Callisto backed off as Xena attempted to keep up the onslaught but was interrupted by Ares as he sent an orb of energy her way. Xena hopped back slightly as she avoided being hit by the projectile as it flew by. Another attack came and then another as Xena jumped, doing a series of backflips as she dodged the repeated attacks. Finally, Ares stopped his onslaught and Xena landed completely unharmed as she looked at Ares with a scowl.

XENA
You know for some reason I thought you were better than sneak attacks Ares. Guess I gave you too much credit.

Ares held his sword ready in one hand as another orb of energy formed in the other.

ARES
I already told you, Xena, your little shots at what you say is my "fragile ego" won't work on me this time.

Ares threw out another orb of energy followed by another and another. Xena ran, jumped, ducked, and dodged every attack Ares threw out. She swung her sword and knocked away a few shots that came her way as Ares was forced to duck under his own energy orb that came back his way. Infuriated further, Ares threw out more attacks that Xena continued to either avoid or knock away. As Xena avoided Ares, Callisto chased after her and tried to catch Xena off guard. She stabbed at Xena who blocked and kicked Callisto away. Ares popped up close and took a swipe at Xena with his sword. Xena ducked out of the way and swung upwards as Ares stepped back to avoid the strike. He then came back in with a punch that connected with Xena's cheek. The shot staggered Xena and Ares smiled as he sheathed his blade and used his godly abilities to teleport right back up close to Xena and hit her with another punch to the other side of her face. He then hit her again and again as Xena was knocked back. Feeling confident in himself Ares found himself enjoying the more up close and personal approach to fighting Xena than using his sword.

ARES
Oh yeah, that's more like it. The God of war is back!

Xena got up and quickly blocked a strike from Callisto's blade who gave her a sneer as the two fought to overpower one another. After locking up for a few moments out of the corner of her eye Xena saw a flash of light and threw herself back as one of Ares' energy orbs just barely missed hitting her. It was so close in fact that she could feel a slight breeze from the highspeed projectile on her face as it flew by and crashed into one of the other random members of Alti's army and destroyed them immediately. Ares threw out another and this time Xena was ready for it and knocked it away with her sword. She then ducked under a swing from Callisto and stood back up as she kicked her back a little before following up with a hard spinning kick to the side of Callisto's head as she knocked her away. With no time to rest Xena saw another one of Ares' attacks coming at her and Xena ducked and rolled to avoid it. She got up to one knee but was unable to stand again before yet another of Ares' orbs of energy came her way. With no time to move Xena used her sword to once again knock it away as another followed right after. Tired and fed up with this Xena let out an angry yell as she slightly changed the angle of her swing and whacked the orb as hard as she could and sent it torpedoing off as before anyone could react, the attack smashed into Callisto. As the attack hit Callisto screamed while she became enfolded by a bright light that a moment later exploded into miniscule specks which quickly faded away leaving no trace of Callisto's ever even being there behind. Xena huffed as Ares stood there looking at the spot where Callisto had been standing only seconds before.

ARES
Wow, you are good.

Ares returned his attention to Xena.

XENA
Shove your compliments Ares. Two down, one to go.

Xena gave her sword a quick twirl as she caught her breath and pushed aside the fatigue that was beginning to take effect from the near non-stop fighting that she'd been doing since the battle for the village started.

XENA
Come on Ares let's get this over with.
(Half seriously thinking to herself) I'm getting too old for this crap.

Ares held his blade ready.

ARES
Fine with me Xena. When it comes to you I did always prefer taking the more... personal approach anyway.

Xena rolled her eyes at the god's comment, catching the double meaning of what he said.

XENA
Ug, keep it in your pants Ares. No matter what you say or do it is NEVER gonna happen between us.

ARES
Suite yourself. Can't blame a god for trying.

Ares swung his blade and Xena blocked as the two collided one on one. But with Ares being a god and Xena tiring from the already lengthy day of fighting, things didn't look good for Xena. As before long, they would get much worse for both her and everyone else when a vengeful Alti would finally make her appearance on the battlefield.

 

"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series 
SCROLL IX: THE COUP DE GRACE OF THE CROWNED (The Final Scroll) pt.17 - fin

pt.17

Bodies of both friend and foe littered the ground as the battle between Xena, Gabrielle, and their allies against Alti and her army waged on. Amongst the chaos, Ephiny faced off against Velasca and her daughter Celine. Outnumbered, Ephiny did everything she could to fend off the mother-daughter duo. She blocked and countered both of their strikes as they came at her in tandem. Celine slashed at her and Ephiny blocked as Velasca attacked while Celine had her occupied. Spotting movement out of the corner of her eye, Ephiny ducked under Velasca's swing as she then quickly knocked Celine away and drove her elbow back into Velasca's stomach. Celine quickly came back at Ephiny who responded with a swift kick to the back of her leg that dropped Celine down to one knee and a downward swing of her sword towards the back of Celine's neck. Just before Ephiny connected, her momentum was stopped by another blade that blocked her.

VELASCA
To think that you would try to kill my daughter. And you said that I was out of line for trying to take what we both know should have been mine.

Velasca pushed Ephiny's blade away and kicked her. Ephiny backed off a bit as she regained her composure.

EPHINY
Velasca I refuse to stand here and be lectured by you when you know full well what you tried to do to Gabrielle was wrong. That was why you tried to assassinate her from the shadows. And in case you need to be reminded both you and Celine are already dead, so all I'm doing is sending you back to where you belong.

CELINE
Not if we send you there first.

Celine came at Ephiny with a flurry of strikes as Ephiny fought back. The two clashed repeatedly as Velasca came back into the fray and Ephiny was forced to split her attention between the two as they attacked her from opposite sides. Celine swung and Ephiny blocked as she then pushed her weapon away. She followed up with a swing at Velasca who ducked and retaliated with a lunge and a thrust of her sword. In a swift motion, Ephiny turned her sword downward as Velasca's blade scraped against hers as it continued forward and Ephiny redirected it away from her. Then without hesitation, Ephiny spun as she swung her weapon and Velasca ducked to avoid the attack. As she stood straight once more, Velasca brought her knee up into Ephiny's midsection. The shot momentarily stunned Ephiny as she hunched forward on reflex and Velasca took her sword and swung it down towards Ephiny. With the blade coming down towards the back of her head and neck, Ephiny dropped to the ground and Velasca's swing missed as Ephiny swept her leg and knocked Velasca to the ground next to her. Ephiny was about to get up when she saw a shadow being cast over her. Knowing what had caused the shadow Ephiny managed to roll out of the way just in time as Celine drove the point of her sword down and barely, missed impaling Ephiny with her weapon. Moving fast Ephiny was back on her feet and immediately ducked out of the way as Celine swung wildly at her. Celine then followed up with a series of furious swipes aimed at Ephiny. One after another Ephiny blocked and repelled the strikes. This continued for a few moments until Celine came down with such a strong swing that Ephiny couldn't simply deflect it. Instead, she kept up her guard as she attempted to find a way to maneuver her sword in a manner that wouldn't result in getting sliced open. With Ephiny locked up with Celine as the two struggled to maintain power, Velasca spotted her opening and took the opportunity to cut down Ephiny. With nothing standing in her way, Velasca moved in fast and drove her blade straight towards Ephiny. Spotting Velasca out of the corner of her eye at the last second, Ephiny moved as Velasca mistakenly plunged her weapon into her own daughter's chest. Both Velasca and Celine's eyes went wide as they each realized what had just happened. The fighting between the group ceased as Celine gasped and Velasca grabbed her as she fell.

VELASCA
Celine...

CELINE
Mo-ther.

Celine's body went completely limp in Velasca's arms as her eyes closed and her resurrected soul was gone once more. Meanwhile, Ephiny lowered her sword and stood there silently as despite everything the two had done and the severe dislike that she had for Velasca, she couldn't help but feel for her at that moment. Even if they were both technically already dead, Ephiny was certain that to Velasca it still felt as though she had taken her own child's life. And that was something that Ephiny couldn't even imagine what it must've felt like. After a moment Velasca layed Celine down on the ground before turning towards Ephiny. Ephiny saw the look of pure hatred in Velasca's eyes.

EPHINY
Velasca...

VELASCA
We're already dead Ephiny. So it's not as though I actually killed my daughter. No Gabrielle and Xena already did that. And if it wasn't for them both myself and Celine would still be alive. And that's why I'm going to get rid of you right here Ephiny and then I'll go find those two and finally make them pay for everything that they've caused.

And with that Velasca resumed her offense against Ephiny as their fight really heated up.

KAI
(Angry tone) Come on. You're not even trying?!

Kai alternated her attacks between both Iris and Fauna who just blocked and deflected her hits.

FAUNA
We told you Kai we don't want to fight you.

KAI
(Angry tone) What does it matter I'm already dead. And it's because of all of you!

IRIS
You know that isn't true.

KAI
You can deny it all you want, I don't care anymore. Xena, Gabrielle, the two of you and everyone else are all going to pay for just throwing me away simply because I was trying to protect our people from that monster Xena.

FAUNA
Don't you see the hypocrisy of what you're doing? You're angry because we didn't side with you against Xena because you wanted her to suffer for what she did to our people and yet hear you are helping someone else who wants to destroy our home for her own selfish gain.

KAI
I already told you I don't care. I'm dead because of all of you and so in turn you are all dead to me. And soon enough that will be both metaphorical and literal. You've already dug your own graves when you choose Xena over me and now I'm going to make sure that I help put you in them.

With a fierce intensity, Kai rapidly slashed at both Fauna and Iris angrily. They continued to hold her off as they still felt conflicting emotions about having to physically stop Kai and bring themselves to go on a full offensive against her, despite knowing that she was helping someone who posed an unbelievable threat to not only them but the world as well if Alti was to gain access to the power that resided within the village.

KAI
And once I'm done with you I'm gonna stand by and watch as Alti takes the one thing you were sworn to protect. And then whatever happens next will be on all of you.

Iris and Fauna looked at Kai in disbelief as they no longer recognized anything about the woman who was once one of their closest friends.

IRIS
You would doom the world to the consciousness of what you know would happen if someone like her got a hold of that power?! Who are you?

FAUNA
To think someone we thought we knew so well would do such a thing just out of anger and vengeance.

IRIS
We can't let you do this Kai.

Kai showed them an evil smile as she tightened her grip on her sword.

KAI
Just try and stop me.

And with that Kai resumed the fight as she once again alternated her attacks between Iris and Fauna. The two repelled all of her strikes as Kai continued her onslaught.

KAI
(Taunting/ Angry tone) Come on I thought you were gonna stop me.

Iris and Fauna kept up the defensive as Kai continued her attacks and taunts.

KAI
(Taunting/ Angry tone) What's wrong, you already caused my death once, why should it bother you to do it again?

Still, the two living Amazons held back from using any attacks as Kai slashed at them again and again.

KAI
(Angry tone) Come on and fight me damnit!

Kai's slashed at them faster.

KAI
(Angry tone) Fight me!

In an all-out frenzy, Kai's strikes became unfocused as she let her rage completely overtake her.

KAI
(Angry tone) Fight me!!! Fight m-uh...

Kai's ranting was suddenly brought to an end as her sword blocked again as she felt a sharp pain in her chest. She felt her body becoming heavy as Iris let Kai's arm drop from where she had blocked the strike and watched as she slumped forward onto Fauna who had plunged her blade deep into Kai's chest. Not another word was spoken between the three as Kai's eyes closed and she was gone once again. After a minute both Iris and Fauna eased Kai's body to the ground as they stood looking at her for a long moment. How their lifelong friend had lost her way so drastically they could never understand. And as they moved on to continue defending the village, Fauna and Iris hoped that Kai would find some kind of peace in the afterlife.

XENA
What's the end goal here, Ares? You beat me and then what?

Xena and Ares' swords collided as she pushed herself back to get a slight breather.

XENA
You think Artemis was pissed off at you before for starting that war with the Amazons that she sealed your power and locked you away for years. What do you think she's gonna do to you when she finds out that you tried to help destroy the village that she has under strict protection from the world?

Ares made a sarcastic laugh.

ARES
Oh please even though she had me chained for a bit I'm not worried about her.
You see last time she caught me off guard when she showed up.

Ares smirked as Xena could tell that whatever Ares said next was not going to be good

ARES
But this time you're old friend Alti has worked her own brand of magic to make sure that my sister can't interfere this time.

Xena scowled at the god of war.

XENA
I knew it seemed off that this place would come under such a massive attack and yet Artemis is nowhere to be seen. What did Alti do to Artemis?

?
Oh Xena I would think that you have much more pressing things to worry about right now.

Xena looked over to her side and saw that the cause of this whole chaotic and dire situation had at last decided to make her direct entrance into the conflict.

ALTI
(Sinister tone) Such as now that I'm here, just how much longer do you have to live?

pt.18

Xena glared intensely at Alti as she stood off to the side of her and Ares.

XENA
I was wondering when you were gonna finally decide to show your face Alti.

ALTI
What's wrong Xena not happy to see me?

XENA
(Sarcasm) Oh yeah, I'm thrilled.

Xena reached for her chakram and quickly threw it at Ares as she then charged Alti. Ares ducked under the weapon.

ARES
Cheap tricks Xena, really?

With a scowl on his face, Ares warped over to Xena and swung at her. Xena ducked and kicked the god as she then swung her blade at Alti. Alti didn't move as she used her power to stop Xena's attack mid-swing. She then gave Xena an evil smile as she grabbed her by the throat.

ALTI
You never know when to quit do you, Xena? This time you are not going to get in my way. I will have the fountain of youth's power for my own.

XENA
(Gasping) I'd die before I let you get ahold of that kind of power.

ALTI
(Sinister tone) Oh, don't worry you will.

Alti then used her power to blast Xena away. Xena crashed to the ground as Alti looked at Ares.

ALTI
Finish her off. I have something that I need to do.

XENA
Leaving so soon Alti?

Alti turned her attention to Xena.

ALTI
I only stopped by to enjoy this little struggle of yours. Once I finally find the fountain of youth it'll be over for all of you. But don't worry I'll be sure to take care of you first. Now if you'll excuse me.

XENA
I won't let you.

Xena threw her chakram at Alti who easily knocked it away and back towards Xena. She ducked as I flew overhead, but was caught off guard by an attack from Ares who threw out an orb of energy and hit her square in the chest. The shot sent her flying back as she hit the ground hard. Stunned for a moment Xena got to a knee as the fatigue from the day's events was really beginning to take hold. She huffed as she tried to push aside the pain fr om being hit by such a powerful shot. Ares threw out another attack, forcing Xena to dive out of the way. She got back to her feet and swung her blade to knock away another orb from Ares. She then ran as she dodged incoming attacks from both Ares and Alti. One of Ares' attacks came at her and Xena used her sword to throw it back at Ares and Alti. Alti easily knocked it away as Xena pushed herself to keep going. She ran in an unpredictable pattern as she closed in on them. Once close Xena made it appear as though she was going for Alti but suddenly changed the trajectory of her swing towards Ares who was caught completely off guard by the fake-out. But just as Xena's attack was about to hit Alti caught her with her power to keep her in place. Xena struggled to move but found herself completely immobilized. She yelled in frustration as Ares smirked at her.

ARES
You know it really is a shame that it has to end like this Xena. So much potential for greatness and you just threw it all away for your so-called morals.

XENA
And I don't regret it either.

ARES
I swear I will never understand you.

XENA
I know you won't and that's the problem.

ALTI
Ares stop talking and just finish her off already.

Ares looked at Alti for a moment.

XENA
You know I've been thinking Ares, I can't believe that you of all beings are actually taking orders from anyone. You say that I've gone soft but it looks to me like that little time out that Artemis put you under had that exact effect on you.

Ares scowled.

ARES
(Angry tone) You had better watch yourself, Xena.

XENA
Or what, you'll do exactly what Alti says and prove me right?

Ares didn't know how to respond and Alti could see the conflicted expression on the god's face.

ALTI
(Warning tone) Ares.

XENA
I mean sure Alti did free you, but you're a god it's not like you wouldn't have figured out how to escape on your own. Plus you do know that she only did that to use you.

ARES
(Irritated tone) Don't be ridiculous, no one uses me for anything.

XENA
Oh then tell me Ares, why are you here? I already know that you don't care about this village at all.

ARES
I told you I'm here to make Artemis pay for locking me away like she did.

XENA
Right, and you expect me to believe that you think destroying one village is revenge enough. Come on it took an all-out war to get her to show up before. So tell me do you really think that she'll show up for one little village? After all, she is your sister, so you should know just how reclusive she is. Sure she might be a little upset but something tells me upset isn't exactly what you're going for here.

Ares appeared to take what Xena had said into consideration for a moment.

ALTI
Don't tell me that you're seriously listening to her.

Ares shrugged as he sheathed his blade, clearly losing interest in the battle over the village.

ARES
I have other things to do anyway. It's been a while since I've been gone so I should go get things back to normal. Maybe I'll pop around and see if I can find that sister of mine and give her a piece of my mind for having me imprisoned.

Now distracted Alti relaxed Xena from her hold.

ALTI
You really are a fool of a god.

ARES
(Sarcasm) Oh sure insult me, that'll definitely get me to help you.

Alti sneered at Ares.

ALTI
(Angry tone) I should've just left you where you were to rot. I would think that you would want revenge on Xena for being part of the reason for you being locked away.

ARES
Oh, I fully plan on doing that but I have my own methods for it. But all of this is more your thing than mine.

Ares looked at Xena.

ARES
Well, it's been fun but I'm out.

Ares smirked.

ARES
Until next time, Xena.

And with a flash Ares was gone as Alti made an angry yell. Xena gave a satisfied smile that only served to enrage Alti further.

ALTI
You think you're so clever, don't you? Fine, I never needed him anyway way. I'll just kill you myself.

With a swipe of her arm, Alti used her power to throw Xena back. As Xena fell and stood again she was hit once more by the unseen force. Alti then warped over to Xena and grabbed her by her neck. Xena gagged as she felt her airway get cut off. Xena grabbed at Alti as she fought to pry Alti's hands off her. But instead, Alti took Xena to the ground and her sword fell from her grip. Seeing that Xena had dropped her sword Alti picked it up with her powers and moved it to hover over Xena's face as Xena continued to try and get free.

ALTI
This is the last time you will get in my way Xena. Now die.

Using her power Alti drove the blade down on Xena. Then in an instant Alti found herself being knocked off of Xena as something collided with her. The sword still dropped and Xena quickly moved her head to the side as the blade stuck into the ground right where her head just was. She got up and grabbed her sword from the earth as she saw someone coming right at her after hearing Alti yell.

ALTI
(Angry tone) Get off of me you little pest.

Unable to react in time Xena was knocked down as the person that Alti had thrown landed on top of her.

XENA
Gabrielle!?

Gabrielle rolled off of Xena as the two stood.

GABRIELLE
Are you okay?

XENA
More or less. You?

GABRIELLE
Yeah, after we got separated I, or rather Clover settled things with Hope.

XENA
Good. Sorry, I kinda disappeared. I ran into my own trouble. You okay?

GABRIELLE
As long as I never have to see her again I will be.

Gabrielle looked at Alti.

GABRIELLE
I think I can guess what you've been doing since we got separated.

XENA
(Sarcasm) Yeah, it's been real fun.

ALTI
It has but now I'm done wasting my time on this. I'm going to do what I should've done while you were busy. But don't worry once I'm done I'll be sure to come back and finish you both for good.

Xena yelled as she threw her chakram at Alti who vanished before it could hit as it instead kept going until it hit a tree and stuck in its trunk.

GABRIELLE
What do you think she meant?

Then before Xena could answer it hit her.

GABRIELLE
The village.

XENA
Yeah, I bet she went there to try and find the fountain of youth while most of us are out here busy figuring her army.

A terrible feeling fell over Gabrielle as she realized what that meant aside from the risk of Alti finding what she was looking for.

GABRIELLE
Oh God's, Xena Aurora and the other non-fighters are still in the village. If Alti starts destroying things or finds them.

XENA
I know. Come on we have to hurry.

With that Xena and Gabrielle raced back towards the village. Which would become the place for the final showdown that would determine the fate of not only Xena, Gabrielle, and all of the others involved, but of the entire world.

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy