pt.19

With Alti leaving the battlefield and going right to the village, Xena and Gabrielle chased after her. Not knowing what she was going to do once there and having left Aurora and the other non-combatants inside of the village where they thought it would be safest, the two moved as fast as they could to get back inside the village before anything happened. As they ran a number of their group of friends began to take notice of Xena and Gabrielle running back towards the village.

SKYLA
Hey is that Xena and Gabrielle?

Clover took down yet another enemy as she looked towards where she noticed Skyla looking.

CLOVER
Yeah.

Realizing that they must've had a reason for leaving the battlefield, Skyla and Clover took down the last couple of enemies near them and moved to catch up to them.

CLOVER
Xena, Gabrielle what's going on?

Gabrielle stopped for a moment as Xena kept going.

GABRIELLE
Alti, she's here and she made it into the village.

CLOVER
Shit, if she gets her hands on the fountain of youth...

GABRIELLE
I know.

SKYLA
The people still in the village, they're in serious danger now. What do we do?

GABRIELLE
Xena and I are gonna get to the village, you two go round up some help, if things get worse we might need to fight her within the village and we're gonna need to evacuate those still inside to safety.

CLOVER
We're on it. Come on Skyla.

SKYLA
You and Xena stay safe, we'll be right behind you guys with help.

GABRIELLE
Good.

Gabrielle resumed running towards the village as Skyla and Clover headed in the opposite direction to round up as much help as they could without compromising their defenses too much. Meanwhile amongst the fighting Amarice blocked a strike from the former Amazonian council member, Nova. She pushed back and followed up with a kick to Nova's midsection. The shot doubled Nova over as she took another hit to the back that drove her to the ground. With a scowl on her face, Nova quickly turned over as she swept her leg and tripped Amarice. She went down and Nova lunged at her. Quickly Amarice rolled to her back, brought up her feet. planted them into Nova's stomach and flipped her up over her head and she landed on her back above her. Then without either of them wasting a second, they both kicked up to their feet facing opposite directions. Nova then made an angry yell as she swung back while turning around. Hearing the yell Amarice ducked as the blade missed. She then grabbed Nova's arm and flipped Nova over her shoulder. However, the former Amazonian council member landed on her feet in front of Amarice and proceeded to throw a kick behind her into Amarice's knee. The attack forced Amarice's leg to go out from under her and she dropped to one knee as Nova immediately followed up with a spinning kick across her face. Amarice was dropped to the ground as Nova turned her blade downwards and drove it down towards her. Amarice quickly swung her blade. deflecting the attack as she sent her sword forward as Nova was already preparing another strike. However, her attack was brought to an abrupt stop as Amarice plunged her blade into Nova's chest. The semi-resurrected Amazon looked down as her arm dropped and she saw the blade sunk inside of her chest. She opened her mouth to say something but no words came out as her eyes fell closed and she fell forward onto Amarice as she was once again sent into the afterlife. After a moment Amarice managed to roll the literal dead weight of the lifeless Nova off of her as she sat up a caught her breath from the intense fight. She stood up and retrieved her sword from Nova's chest. She then looked around at the continuing battle as Clover ran up to her.

AMARICE
Clover?

Clover noticed Nova's body on the ground.

CLOVER
Good, you're not in the middle of anything.

AMARICE
I literally just got done dealing with her. Why?

CLOVER
Hurry and get to the village. Alti got in and were gonna need everything we have to stop her and keep the others inside safe.

AMARICE
Got it. I'll head there now.

CLOVER
Good. And grab a few more to help if you can.

AMARICE
Okay.

With that the two hurried towards the village, pushing through any enemy that stood in their way. Meanwhile, weapons clashed again and again as the heated fight between Ephiny and Velasca continued. Velasca yelled angrily as she pushed Ephiny's blade away and landed a kick to her ribs. Ephiny staggered as she reflexively grabbed at her side. But Velasca kept up the pressure as she followed up with a swing of her sword. Ephiny blocked and Velasca threw her knee into Ephiny's ribs again. The pain from the shot forced Ephiny to lower her guard and gave Velasca an opening, which she immediately capitalized on when she drove her blade forward. Ephiny moved just in time as Velasca attempted to impale her on her blade. She pivoted around Velasca and turned with a swing towards Velasca's back. Thinking fast, Velasca raised her arms as she reached behind her and blocked Ephiny's attack.

VELASCA
Really Ephiny, going for a cheap tactic like that.

EPHINY
You're one to talk given the way you stabbed Gabrielle in the back when you tried to kill her to become queen.

VELASCA
(Unamused tone) Aren't you clever.

Velasca shoved Ephiny's weapon away as she turned with a swipe of her sword. Ephiny hopped back as Velasca's blade just barely missed her midsection. She then retaliated with an overhead swipe that was in turn blocked. Ephiny threw a knee into Velasca's stomach causing her to drop her guard. Ephiny followed up by sweeping Velasca's feet from under her. Velasca dropped forward and Ephiny drove her blade down at her but missed when Velasca kicked her boot back into Ephiny's knee. Ephiny dropped down and caught another kick to her face, stunning her for a moment as she was forced to catch herself from falling back as Velasca stood up and sent a third hard kick into the side of Ephiny's head dropping her completely to the ground. Ephiny attempted to get up but was hit with yet another kick, this time to her ribs as she rolled to her stomach and tried to get up as Velasca spoke and kicked her once more.

VELASCA
I guess this is the end of the line you and me Ephiny.

Ephiny was struck again as Velasca watched her try to get up.

VELASCA
You know you're death could've been avoided if I had just been made queen as I should have been. In fact, I'm sure none of this would have even happened if I had been given my rightful place as queen. Xena and Gabrielle wouldn't have been brought to the village if Gabrielle wasn't queen. Therefore we likely wouldn't have run into them because they wouldn't have known about those kidnapped women from the village. And if Xena and Gabrielle weren't ever here, there likely wouldn't have been that hunting that ended up bringing Alti here as a result. So this village being destroyed is really yours, Xena's, and most of all Gabrielle's fault!

Velasca raised her blade and yelled as she drove it down towards Ephiny. In a quick movement, Ephiny gripped her sword as she turned to her back and swung her weapon. Time stood still for a moment as Ephiny huffed and saw the blood began to flow from the gash across Velasca's throat. Velasca gargled up blood as she dropped to her knees before falling to the side as her consciousness faced into oblivion and she was gone. Ephiny slowly stood as she tried her best to ignore her pain and began to walk away when she saw a number of the others rushing through the secret waterfall entrance to the village. After looking around and seeing that there was still fighting going on around her, Ephiny knew that something must've been very wrong for so many to be running back into the village. So despite being hurt, Ephiny moved to catch up with the group that she saw consisted of Xena, Gabrielle, Amarice, Skyla, Clover, Iris, Fauna, Cora, and Willow. She was very quickly filled in on the fact that Alti had left the battle for the village. So as the group reached the waterfall they pushed through and entered the village as the final showdown against Alti was about to begin. But what would happen as a result would be something that none of them could have ever predicted.

pt.20

Xena, Gabrielle, and the others reached the village. They stood in horror as they saw that the village was in utter chaos due to Alti's army which had gotten through the village's defenses. Knowing there was no time to waste, Xena took charge.

XENA
Everyone spread out. Get as many who can't fight to safety as possible. And while you're at it, get rid of as many of these bastards as you can too. Be sure to go for the typical vital points. That seems to be the only way to finish 'em for good.

Everyone agreed as they split up. With some focusing more on fighting off the enemy. While others worked to move the noncombatant villagers away from imminent danger. With Amarice, Skyla, Clover, Iris, Fauna, Willow, Cora, and Ephiny hurried off to do whatever they could to protect the other women of the village, When it was just Xena and Gabrielle left standing just inside the village entrance Xena looked at Gabrielle.

XENA
Gabrielle, I want you to take Aurora and get out of the village

Xena turned to hurry further into the village but was stopped when she was grabbed by the arm. Knowing exactly what was coming Xena turned back and was met with Gabrielle giving her a very disapproving look.

GABRIELLE
(Unhappy tone) Wait a minute Xena, you are not doing this again. I thought we were past you feeling the need to protect me.

XENA
We do NOT have time for this right now. This has nothing to do with how capable or not you are now in a fight. This is Alti we're talking about. You know how extremely powerful and dangerous she is.

GABRIELLE
All the more reason for me to come with you.

XENA
No, not this time. Aurora needs to get somewhere safe and I'm not risking losing you over this either.

GABRIELLE
(Unhappy tone) So I'm supposed to just leave you to fight her on your own? You can't actually think that I would do that.

Xena placed her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder as she looked directly into her eyes.

XENA
Gabrielle listen, this is one of those things that I just have to do on my own.

Having basically heard Xena saying this kind of thing in this way too many times before, Gabrielle already figured out Xena's reasoning for feeling the way she did.

GABRIELLE
Xena...

XENA
Gabrielle, it's only because of me that Alti came after this place. If I hadn't done the things I've done in my past. If I hadn't allied myself with Alti against the Northern Amazons for my own selfish lust for power, me and Alti wouldn't have any history. And it's because of that history she went after us when she appeared on the trip when last winter started and showed Clover those visions. And it was because of those events that led her to seeing the village in Clover's mind. So since I caused all of this, I have to be the one to finally put a stop to Alti for good.

GABRIELLE
(Stern tone) I'm not leaving.

XENA
Would you think for a moment? This isn't just about us. We have a child to think about too. And I know you would do anything to protect her, which is exactly why I want you to take her out of here. If I fail to stop Alti and this village falls, you know what will happen to her and everyone else here.

Gabrielle knew that Xena was right. They had to get Aurora to safety. But still leaving Xena to face Alti alone didn't feel right. Feeling torn, Gabrielle looked at the chaos around them. She knew that protecting Aurora was a top priority. And as Gabrielle scanned the area she knew what she had to do.

GABRIELLE
You're right, Aurora needs to be kept safe.

Xena watched as Gabrielle hurried off. But instead of rushing to get Aurora Xena saw as she stopped Ephiny who was directing some of the villagers away from the chaos and spoke to her for a moment. Then with Ephiny seeming to confirm whatever Gabrielle had said, she rushed off towards where the non-combatants were gathering as Gabrielle hurried back over to Xena.

XENA
What was that about?

GABRIELLE
Making sure that Aurora stays safe. Now let's go find Alti.

Xena gave Gabrielle a somewhat amused look.

XENA
You told Ephiny to get Aurora out of here while you come with me to face Alti, didn't you?

GABRIELLE
I told you I wasn't leaving.

Xena smirked slightly at the stubbornness and determination that she had grown so used to seeing in Gabrielle. Even from the first day that they had started traveling together, it was there. And even though it had given them their fair share of problems over the years, that never-say-die attitude was just one of the countless things that Xena had come to love about Gabrielle and wouldn't change that for anything in the world.

XENA
You know, where I'm headed, there'll be trouble.

Gabrielle smiled as she remembered Xena saying that exact thing on that first day of the two of them officially traveling together. It seemed crazy to think of how drastically their lives had changed since then, as for all the good and the bad neither Gabrielle nor Xena had ever regretted the decisions they both made that day. And now here they stood together as they faced yet another battle that seemed impossible for them to win but knew that there was no one else that either of them would rather have at their side as Gabrielle responded with the same thing that she had said to Xena when she had said that line before.

GABRIELLE
I know.

And with that simple, yet meaningful exchange Xena led the way as the two fought their way through the enemies in the village as they searched for where Alti could be. After running and fighting their way through the village for a bit Xena and Gabrielle finally spotted Alti as she grabbed one of the fleeing Amazons. The woman struggled to get free from Alti's hold but was unable to as Alti attempted to use her power on her.

ALTI
Now show me where you're hiding the fountain.

The Amazon's eyes rolled back as her body twitched and jerked while Alti peered into her mind and searched for the Fountain Of Youth's exact location. Blood began to run from her nose as the Amazon fought against Alti's power. However the longer Alti kept her hold on the woman, the weaker her will to keep Alti from accessing that knowledge was becoming. Slowly Alti began to see a fuzzy image of the village within the Amazon's mind. She focused harder as she pushed the Amazon's mental fortitude to its limits and the image began to become clearer.

ALTI
(Thinking to herself) Yes, at last in just a few more seconds the Fountain Of Youth's power will be mine.

The image continued to grow clearer and more focused until just as Alti was about to be able to determine the fountain's precise location she was stopped as a projectile came from nowhere and cut her arm as it flew by. Alti yelled in anger and pain as she dropped the Amazon and glared in the direction of where the flying object had come from.

ALTI
I told you that I won't let you stand in my way this time Xena.

Xena caught her chakram as it came back from being thrown and hooked it back on her hip as she and Gabrielle stood and few feet away from Alti with their weapons ready.

XENA
Your time is up Alti. I'm finally putting an end to you right here once and for all.

ALTI
Fine Xena, if I have to kill you and Gabrielle before I can get what I want, I suppose I can wait just a little longer. I think it's time that we finally settle things between us anyway.

XENA
My thoughts exactly.

Pt.21

With the village in pandemonium, around them as the Amazons fended off the horde of enemies flooding into their home, Xena and Gabrielle stood off against Alti.

ALTI
Oh Xena, if only those Amazons you killed all those years ago could see you now. Defending this village as though you're some kind of hero.

XENA
I never claimed to be a hero of any kind. I'm just doing what needs to be done

ALTI
How noble. Unfortunately for and them you aren't going to be able to do anything to stop me.

XENA
I've beaten you before Alti, and I'll do it again.

Alti brandished an evil smile.

ALTI
(Sinister tone) You can try.

Xena held her chakram ready as she gave the sorceress an intense stare.

XENA
Trust me I plan on doing much more than try.

And with that, Xena sent the weapon flying as she threw it off to the side. Alti just stood in place as the weapon bounced around and Xena came rushing at her with her sword drawn. As Xena swung, Alti disappeared for a couple seconds before appearing again behind Xena as she used her power to throw Xena forward. Xena hit the ground and quickly rolled to her feet. She then raced back towards Alti and swung her blade. Alti caught Xena's wrist and threw her other arm to the side, and though Alti hadn't physically touched her, Xena felt as though she had been struck hard across the face. Alti then brought her hand back the other way and again due to the sorceresses power Xena felt the sting of being hit without Alti actually, asking physical contact. More insulted the hurt, Xena used her free arm to throw a punch which made Alti release her wrist. She quickly followed up with a slash of her blade, but Alti disappeared and got behind her. Sensing this, Xena turned around as she swung but wasn't fast enough as with a motion of her arm, Alti launched Xena through the air. Hitting the ground, Xena was forced to move fast as she got out of the way of several various objects that had been thrown at her from Alti's power. While Alti kept her focus on Xena, Gabrielle took the opportunity to try and mount some kind of meaningful offense against her. She took her sai's and threw them at Alti. As the weapons came within inches of the shamaness, they suddenly stopped mid-flight and hung in the air as Alti looked over her shoulder at Gabrielle.

ALTI
Nice try. But you're gonna have to do better than that.

Then with lightning speed, Gabrielle's weapons were sent back at her. She dove out of the way just in time as the sai's flew by and stuck into the wall of a nearby building. Gabrielle stood as Xena charged Alti from behind. She quickly closed in and thrust her blade forward. But once again, before the attack could make contact, Alti disappeared. Keeping on high alert, Xena and Gabrielle scanned the immediate area for where Alti would reappear. Gabrielle retrieved her sai's and turned around when was met with Alt rematerializing before her. Before she could react, Alti waved her hand and Gabrielle was sent crashing into the wall. She hit hard and began to slide down before being caught by her throat and lifted back up. She gasped for air as she frantically attempted to pry Alti's hands from her neck. Alti flashed a sinister grin when Gabrielle's head suddenly jerked back and her eyes rolled as Alti used her power to flood Gabrielle's mind with a series of dark images. Practically every horrible thing that had happened in Gabrielle's life rose to the surface of her memory. The painful events flashed through her mind one after another. From her somewhat lonely childhood to Perdicus's murder, Xena temporarily dying after being hit it the head by a large tree branch while rescuing a child, the whole series of events that took place after she had given birth to Hope. The heartbreaking war between the Amazons. The betrayal of Velasca and her supporters, Aurora being kidnapped, and the internal struggle that Gabrielle had gone through afterward. Xena nearly dying again after their last encounter with Alti. Finding so many of the women from this village slaughtered by Alti's army. All of that and more bombarded Gabrielle's mind as blood began to run from her nose while her body convulsed within Alti's grasp. Her limbs went limp as Alti's grip on her as she was pushed against the wall was the only thing keeping Gabrielle up. With the strain being put on Gabrielle's mind taking its toll, Alt knew it wouldn't be much longer until Gabrielle was unable to take any more and her mind completely shut down. Which would either kill her or cause a mental break of one kind or another. Either way, the Gabrielle was right now would be no more. And Alti was just fine with that as she continued to push Gabrielle towards her breaking point. But suddenly as Alti who was too focused on Gabrielle to notice her, Xena launched herself at Alti and tackled her to the ground. As a result, Alti was forced to let go of Gabrielle who dropped to the ground as well. She gasped as her mind snapped back to reality after being freed from Alti's power. Feeling disoriented and with her mind still in a fog, Gabrielle needed a few moments to regain her bearings. She managed to stand up as she put her hand to her head and tried to focus on what she had been doing before Alti had sent her into that horrific trance-like state. As everything gradually came back into focus for Gabrielle, Xena was still fighting against Alti. She slashed at the shamaness with her sword, but had her attack only cut through the air as Alti vanished yet again. Xena flipped her sword down and drove the blade behind her, knowing that Alti was behind her but just missed as Alti realized what Xena was doing and disappeared to escape the attack. She then showed back up in front of Xena who quickly swung at her. But her wrist was caught, and Alti retaliated with her own attack. On most other days Xena would have been able to avoid the attack, but it was clear that due to the events of the whole day Xena's reaction time had grown slower than usual as fatigue had set in. It was less than a moment later as Gabrielle looked on as Alti drove her other hand to Xena's chest with force. Xena felt the shot rattle through her whole body before feeling something else deep within her come undone. Xena's eyes widened for a moment before she fell completely limp. Gabrielle stood frozen in horror as she then saw Alti let go of Xena who dropped to the ground at her feet, where she remained motionless.

GABRIELLE
Xena!

Gabrielle looked at Xena laying there before looking at Alti who stood over her laughing.

ALTI
Looks like I finally win Xena. Now...

Gabrielle watched as Alti lifted her hand and looked at an orb of gently glowing light that she now held.

ALTI
(Sinister tone) The question is what do I want to do with this.

it was then that Gabrielle got a terrible sinking feeling in her stomach as she looked at the strange orb and realized that something truly harrowing had just happened right before her very eyes.

ALTI
(Sinister tone) After all, what use does a corpse have for a soul?

Pt.22

Gabrielle stood in stunned silence for a moment as she saw Xena laying motionless on the ground at Alti's feet. She looked at Alti who held a small orb of light in her hands as she smiled.

ALTI
Oh what's wrong Gabrielle, did you want this back?

Alti held out the orb.

GABRIELLE
That's not really Xena's soul, is it?

ALTI
Oh it is.

Alti brought the orb closer to her face.

ALTI
And quite the interesting soul it is. So complex, with such a delicate balance of both dark and light. So strong and yet so fragile at the same time.

Gabrielle watched anxiously as Alt moved the orb from one hand to the other, examining the swirling variations of colored lights that moved within the orb.

ALTI
Strong enough to withstand years of darkness, rage and hate and still find a way back into the light. But at the same time so fragile where if I were to just tighten my grip enough.

Alti tightened her hold around the orb and Gabrielle could see the strain being put on it and realized that if something happened to Xena's soul she'd not only be dead, but she would be completely wiped from all existence entirely.

GABRIELLE
Stop it!

Alti smiled at Gabrielle as she loosened her grip on the orb.

ALTI
I take it that you believe me. Good. So tell me, Gabrielle, what would you do to get this back?

Gabrielle scowled as she knew what Alti was getting at.

GABRIELLE
Forget it Alti, you're not getting your hands on the Fountain Of Youth.

ALTI
Really Gabrielle? You would sacrifice Xena to continue to stand in my way?

GABRIELLE
If the other option is you gaining access to power that would cause irreparable destruction and chaos to the whole world then yes.

ALTI
Are you sure? I'm well aware of just how close the two of you are. So how about it? I return Xena's soul to her body and then you, her and your child can all go on being a happy little family. And all you have to do is leave this village to its fate.

As much as a part of Gabrielle wanted so badly to accept Alti's offer, she knew that she just couldn't do it. Because if there was one thing that she had learned after all the time that she and Xena had been together, it was that "the greater good" should always take priority over their own personal feelings about any given situation they might've found themselves In. She knew that Xena wouldn't want her to sacrifice the village and give Alti what she wanted just to bring her back to life. The price was just too high and Gabrielle knew that Xena would live with the guilt of knowing that she was only alive at the cost of so many others, and Gabrielle couldn't put that on Xena or herself. So as deeply as it pained her to let Xena go, Gabrielle knew that she just couldn't accept Alti's offer.

GABRIELLE
No deal Alti. I won't sacrifice this village or its people to you.

ALTI
Very well then, I'll just leave you here with Xena's lifeless body, and I'll go find the fountain of youth myself.

Before Gabrielle could do anything, Alti disappeared, and she was left standing alone with Xena's body. She looked at Xena as she tried to figure out how they were going to stop Alti and felt the gravity of Xena's death setting in.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) What am I supposed to do? This can't be happening. Xena's gone, the village is in chaos with so many having been killed because of this, and Alti seems more powerful than ever. If she finds the fountain of youth, wherever it is, it'll be over for everyone. But how are we supposed to stop her

As Gabrielle desperately tried to figure out what to do, a few of the others had broken away from the fighting to bring some more non-combatants someplace safe and spotted Gabrielle as she knelt down on the ground. Worried that she might be injured, Skyla, Fauna and Ephiny hurried over to help.

FAUNA
Gabrielle, are you okay?

The small group reached Gabrielle and stopped when they saw Xena laying in front of her. Hearing footsteps behind he, Gabrielle looked behind her and saw the trio, she immediately noticed the devastated look in Gabrielle's eyes.

SKYLA
No, Xena. Is she...?

Skyla didn't even finish before Gabrielle nodded slowly.

GABRIELLE
(Sad tone) We were fighting Alti and she killed her. She just took Xena's soul right from her body.

EPHINY
I'm sorry Gabrielle. If we had gotten here sooner, maybe we could've...

GABRIELLE
It doesn't matter right now. Alti just left to find the fountain. We have to stop her before she does.

Skyla and Fauna looked at each other.

SKYLA
You don't think she'll actually be able to find it, do you?

FAUNA
Normally I'd say no, but given her powers, I don't know if we can say for sure that she won't find it.

GABRIELLE
Alti first saw it in Clover's mind before, so I'm surprised that she doesn't already know where it is.

FAUNA
Good point. She likely saw it too, but she must not have recognized it for what it was.

GABRIELLE
How could someone possibly miss something like that? I'm assuming it's pretty difficult to miss a big magical fountain.

SKYLA
It is when it doesn't look like what you would expect.

GABRIELLE
What's that supposed to...

Gabrielle was cut off mid-sentence as screams rang out in the distance as Alti began killing the villagers while she grew increasingly enraged by her in ability to locate the fountain.

FAUNA
But even if she hasn't found it yet doesn't mean she won't. And we can't let that happen.

GABRIELLE
But how do we stop her? Xena was the only one who even stood a chance against Alti, and now she's gone.

Gabrielle couldn't think of any way that they could stop Alti as she looked out at the village.

FAUNA
There is one way.

SKYLA
No there has to be another way to stop her. We always said that we would only do that as a very last resort. Fauna, if we do that there's no turning back.

Fauna looked at Skyla.

FAUNA
I know that, but if that woman gets to the fountain it'll be over for more than just us. And besides, our job has been to protect it from anyone like Alti. You've always known that, Skyla. We all have.

Skyla lowered her eyes for a moment as the reality of the situation settled in, and she knew that Fauna was right.

SKYLA
(Sad tone) I know. I just never thought that we would ever have to actually do this.

Not knowing what the native villagers were talking about, Gabrielle spoke up.

GABRIELLE
Do what? You know how to stop Alti?

SKYLA
Yes, I just wish there was another way, but with so many already dead and Alti on the verge of finding the fountain I don't see one.

EPHINY
Based on how upset you seem about this, I'm gonna assume that the plan really isn't anything that you wanted to have to do.

SKYLA
(Sad tone) No. And it's honestly it's the very last thing that any of us would ever want to do.

GABRIELLE
What?

SKYLA
It seems like In order to stop Alti from taking the fountain of youth's power we're gonna have to destroy it.

GABRIELLE
Wait, but I thought that even the god's couldn't destroy it.

FAUNA
They can't. And I suppose saying that we would destroy the fountain isn't quite accurate, but thanks to Artemis if we destroy the village the fountain will disappear and end up in some other unknown location.

GABRIELLE
But if we do that everyone might not escape.

FAUNA
Actually none of the villagers will be leaving. So I'd suggest that you hurry and get Aurora along with the others who have come to the village and leave while you can.

Gabrielle shook her head in disbelief and horror as she pictured the village and its people being destroyed.

GABRIELLE
No, I agree with Skyla. There has to be another way.

FAUNA
Look around us, Gabrielle, the village is already being destroyed by Alti's army. None of us, even together, are strong enough to stop Alti. If we don't stop her, I'm sure I don't need to tell you what will happen.

GABRIELLE
But what about everyone else? Are you telling me that they're all okay with this?!

Fauna walked over to Gabrielle and put her hand on her shoulder.

FAUNA
Gabrielle, you're one of the best queens and friends that any one of us could have ever asked for. Both you, Xena and the others have done so much for us, and we could never thank you enough. But this is something that, as difficult as it may be, has to be done. Artemis charged us with protecting the fountain of youth and that's what we have to do. We all have always known the responsibility of doing this takes priority over everything. Including our own lives.

Gabrielle was about to argue when Xena voice echoed in her mind from her memories as she once again remembered her and Xena's discussions about "the greater good". She knew that none of them could physically stop Alti and couldn't let her take the fountain's power. And though it seemed wrong, Gabrielle knew that this might be the only way that they could stop Alti and save an unknown number of people from the death and suffering they would surely endure once Alti unleashed the power she stood to obtain from the fountain onto the world. She stood up and looked at Ephiny.

GABRIELLE
It's settled then. Ephiny, I need you to take Aurora and the other non-native villagers and leave as fast as you can.

EPHINY
Wait, you're not staying?!

GABRIELLE
I'm these people's queen Ephiny. I won't just abandon them when the only reason they're even in this situation is due to Xena and I being here. If we hadn't come here, this place would still be safe.

EPHINY
You don't know that.

GABRIELLE
But I do. And so did Xena. And that's why if the only way to stop Alti is to join the rest of the village in their sacrifice, then with my final act as queen, that's what I'll do. So please Ephiny I'm asking you not only as your queen but as your friend, take Aurora and the others and get away from here.

EPHINY
There's nothing I can say that'll change your mind about doing this is there?

GABRIELLE
(Sad tone) No. But please, Ephiny, just make sure that Aurora stays safe and that she always knows how much both Xena and I loved her.

EPHINY
I will.

Knowing there was no longer any point in discussing it, Ephiny gave Gabrielle a sad smile as she left to get Aurora and the other non-native residents out of the village. Then with a heavy heart, Gabrielle returned her attention to Fauna and Skyla and gave a small nod for them to do what she had to before she moved to where Xena laid as she sat down and lifted Xena's head to rest on her lap as she looked out at the village and after a few minutes saw it beginning to be set ablaze. As the fire began to spread, Ephiny took Aurora and lead Amarice, Cora and Willow out of the village. It wasn't long until the flames reached where Alti was still trying to decipher how to access the fountain of youth. She scowled to herself as she realized that what the villagers were attempting to do.

ALTI
(Thinking to herself) Trying to stop me by any means necessary I see. Too bad it won't be enough.

Alti stood by the waterfall within the village as she looked around for the fountain of youth.

ALTI
You're all too late. I know that the fountain's around here. I'm certain I'll find it before your pitiful attempt at stopping me succeeds. In reality, all you fools have done hasten your own demise. So go ahead and burn your village, because soon enough the rest of this world will follow.

Pt.23

With the village set a flame and fire spreading around her, Gabrielle sat on the ground holding Xena's lifeless body. Her heart weighed heavy as she couldn't believe that this was how everyone was going to meet their end. The villagers all gathered around as they stood waiting for the blaze to overtake them. As they waited their fate, Gabrielle looked out at the distant fire that was gradually coming their way.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) So this is how it ends. It just doesn't seem fair. Xena's gone. Everyone else here is going to die, Aurora's gonna grow up an orphan. None of this is right. Even after everything we've done to protect this place, the very people who had been put in charge of defending this place now have to destroy it.

Gabrielle looked up at the darkening sky as the smoke from the fire rose, and the sun began to set. Physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted, she thought of how the sunset almost seemed symbolic of the situation. As what was possibly one of the single longest days of her life drew to a close, so would the entirety of hers and all the other women's lives. As the village became consumed by the raging inferno, Gabrielle sat with Xena in her arms as she watched the other women coming together as they prepared to spend their last moments in this life with their loved ones. She then looked down at Xena in her arms for a moment as tears filled her eyes before raising her gaze to the sky.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) Well if this is how it truly does all end, I guess I'll be seeing you again soon Xena.

As Gabrielle and the rest of the women of the village all awaited their fate, Alti stood at the base of the waterfall. Still not seeing anything that resembled a fountain of any kind.

ALTI
(Angry/ Irritated tone) Where is it? How is it possible to keep such a thing so well hidden?

As she looked around and saw nothing, Alti had grown tired of searching and decided that she was going just going to have to extract the exact location of the fountain from the villagers. And seconds later, she appeared before the gathered villagers. Many of the women looked at her in a mix of fear and hatred. Alti searched the faces around her, as Gabrielle looked up from Xena and saw Alti. The fear that she had already found the Fountain Of Youth setting in. After a moment of looking around at the Amazons as the villager continued to burn, Alti spoke.

ALTI
Based on the fact that you've set your own village on fire, you obviously know that you've already lost. Now that being said, I can make all of your deaths much quicker or much, much longer and far more painful depending on the next decision you make.

Clover stepped forward slightly.

CLOVER
You can threaten us all you want, but if you think that we're telling you anything, you're even more insane than I thought.

A number of others spoke up in agreement as they stood before Alti in defiance.

SKYLA
Exactly. We'll die before we let you get your hands on the fountain.

ALTI
(Sinister tone) Very well, since you insist.

In the blink of an eye, Alti warped up to one of the women and sent her flying back into a nearby building that was burning. Gabrielle and the others looked on in horror as a few seconds later the Amazon emerged from the building, screaming in pure agony as she had caught on fire. Her screams cut through the air as several disturbing moments passed before she fell to the ground in silence as her body continued to burn. A number of the women looked away from the sickening sight, as others were in such a state of shock that they couldn't pull their eyes away from the horror.

ALTI
(Sinister tone) And now you're next?

Ati teleported up to Skyla and placed a hand on her head. As she did, Skyla's eyes rolled and her body convulsed as her mind was assaulted with all sorts of horrible images and memories.

CLOVER
Skyla!

With her axe in hand, Clover rushed Alti to get Skyla away from her.

CLOVER
(Angry tone) Get your fucking hands off of her!

As Clover closed in, Alti used her power to throw Skyla into another amazon and send them both crashing to the ground. Clover then swung her battleaxe at the sorceress, but was stopped mid-swing as Alti used her power to hold her completely still.

ALTI
I should've just killed you that first day we met. I think now might be the perfect time to fix that.

Then before anyone could react, Alti used her power to drive a stray sword from the ground into Clover's back.

SKYLA
No!

FAUNA
Clover!

Alti let Clover drop to the ground as Skyla rushed over to her. As Clover layed on her side, Skyla dropped In front of her. Clover looked at her and managed a small, sad smile as Skyla gently reached out to move her slightly, so she could get a better look at the injury. And felt her heart sink when she saw how deep the blade had gone in.

SKYLA
No... Clover.

CLOVER
It's okay. It doesn't hurt.

Skyla looked Clover in the eyes, as Clover already knew what she was wondering and answered before she even asked.

CLOVER
Honestly, I don't really feel anything at all.

A horrified expression crossed Skyla's face as she didn't want to believe what had just happened.

SKYLA
You're not telling me that you can't move, are you?

Clover shook her head no, and Skyla began to cry as she clung to Clover as the others looked on at the heartbreaking scene.

ALTI
Maybe now someone else would like to step forward and give me what I want before someone else ends up like Xena or your other little friends.

IRIS
No matter what you do to us, we won't let you have the fountain's power.

FAUNA
Exactly.

Alti looked out at the crowd who inspired of everything, still remained defiant in just simply giving her what she desired.

ALTI
Fine then. You've all had your chance for me to spare your lives. But if you would rather, I just kill you all now and find the fountain afterward.
(Sinister tone) Then so be it.

The surrounding air suddenly went unnaturally cold as the ground beneath everyone began to shake.

SKYLA
What's going on?!

The ground shifted. Scorched trees were pushed up as they became up rooted and fell over. The burning buildings around them began to crumble. Panicked screams rang out as one of the buildings collapsed onto a pair of villagers, crushing them beneath large some beams of burning wood. Gabrielle's eyes took in the destruction as she didn't want to believe what she was witnessing

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) This is a living nightmare. How is Alti doing this?

Gabrielle held Xena closer and watched helplessly as the fire came closer and cracks began to form in the ground near them. A few villagers were driven back in their efforts to escape the gaps in the ground that were being torn open. And as the fire drew closer, some of the women found themselves trapped between the blaze and the fracturing earth. And with nowhere to run, several Amazons screamed as the earth beneath them gave way, and they fell into the unknown abyss waiting below. One of which was Iris, who clawed at the ledge after the earth gave out from under her, and she struggled to pull herself back up. All around, the village burned and fell apart as multiple women met their end in one way or another. As the destruction continued, Gabrielle spotted a series of small cracks beginning to form around her, and she held Xena's body tighter as she tried to push away from it, but soon found that more were opening behind her as well. She knew it was likely only a matter of minutes until the ground split open. And with Xena's dead weight and everyone else preoccupied with their own survival, Gabrielle was well aware that she wouldn't be able to drag Xena's body away in time. And even though Xena was dead, Gabrielle refused to let her go, as she knew that she had a very low chance of surviving the destruction that was going on around her anyway. As at that moment Gabrielle remembered something that Xena had once said to her when the two of them were barricaded in an old shack after Gabrielle had been hit with a poison arrow and laid dying as an army advanced towards them.

XENA (GABRIELLE'S MEMORY)
You always said that I was the brave one. Look at you now. If this is to be our destiny, let's see it out together. Even in death, Gabrielle... I will never leave you.

Gabrielle looked down at Xena's pale face as clung to her, and the earth continued to crumble around them.

GABRIELLE
And I'll never leave you either, Xena.

 

Gabrielle leaned down and lightly kissed Xena's forehead and just held her as the ground continued to fall away.

GABRIELLE
I see you on the other side soon.

Everything continued to fall apart around them as Alti stood in the middle of it all. It was only a moment later that an immense, bright flash of light spread throughout the whole village and brought everything to an abrupt and deathly silent end.

Pt.24

A bright light beamed as Gabrielle squeezed her eyes shut on reflex as she prepared for the end. And then all fell quite as the light faded, and the earth stopped shaking. Terrified whimpers could be heard amidst the silence, followed by various gasps as Gabrielle peeked opened her eyes and realized that she and the others weren't dead. But why? It was then that she heard more shocked murmurs among the villagers. As the destruction that she was creating was brought to a stop, Alti scowled as she looked around to try and figure why the quaking had abruptly ceased. It was then that she spotted someone standing not far from her. She scowled at who she perceived as an intruder.

ALTI
(Angry tone) You... How are you here?

From where Gabrielle sat with Xena she had to strain a little to look over some debris that had fallen in front of her during the chaos in order to see who Alti was taking to. And as she did, Gabrielle didn't think that she had ever been so relieved to see any supernatural being in her whole life.

GABRIELLE
(Quietly talking to herself) Artemis...

The goddess gave Alti an extremely hateful look as she took in the death and destruction around them.

ARTEMIS
You might have gotten lucky and caught me off guard, but you didn't think that trick of yours was going to hold me forever?

Out of the corner of her eye, Artemis saw some of Alti's army coming her way and scowled as she held her hand palm up in front of her lips and blew. As she did so, thousands of miniscule specs of light scattered from her palm and were carried by the breeze to the undead army. The villagers looked on in amazement as when the specs of light came in contact with the remainder of the oncoming army, the enemies stopped dead in their tracks as their whole bodies became engulfed by light that a moment later burst into even more particles before fading away to nothing, not leaving a single trace of the enemy that the light had touched behind. And just like that, in only a matter of seconds the entirety of Alti's army was gone without a single trace of them remaining. As the last specs faded away, Artemis returned her attention towards Alti who sneered at the goddess.

ALTI
You think that getting rid of my army will change anything now? Look around you, goddess, you're too late. Though since you're here now, you can tell me where you put it.

ARTEMIS
And what in all creation makes you think I would tell you that?

ALTI
Because if you don't, I'll show what happens to anyone who stands against me. Mortal or god.

Artemis looked at Alti for a moment, as suddenly Gabrielle noticed the goddess' demeanor change to a very serious scowl.

ARTEMIS
(Calm/ angry tone) Wait a moment, I remember you now. You were the catalyst for the destruction of my Amazons to the far north. And now you dare come here to do the same.

ALTI
Technically I didn't do anything to those Amazons.

Alti smiled an evil grin as she pointed towards the lifeless Xena who Gabrielle still held in her arms.

ALTI
She did. But don't worry, as you can see, I already took care of her for you. See for yourself.

Alti pulled out the orb of multicolored light that was Xena's disembodied soul.

ALTI
Now, I'm sure yhat the soul of the woman who has caused so much suffering to your Amazons is worth quite a bit to you.

Artemis looked at the orb for a moment as she shockingly appeared to be considering Alti's offer.

ARTEMIS
How do I know that what you're holding is in fact Xena's actual soul?

Alti smiled.

ALTI
Why don't you just see for yourself?

A number of the women couldn't believe what they were witnessing when Artemis held out her hand and Alti Smiled as she casually tossed the orb containing Xena's soul to the goddess, who effortlessly caught it. After witnessing the exchange, a number of the Amazons began to think that their patron goddess who had chosen their village to guard the fountain of youth so long ago would simply trade such extraordinary power that even the god's couldn't destroy for a single human soul.

FAUNA
(Quiet/ terrified tone) No, Artemis, why?

IRIS
(Quiet/ terrified tone) This can't be happening.

GABRIELLE
No, please Artemis, don't do this. I know that Xena's done horrible things to the Amazonian people in the past, but you can't honestly think that giving Alti the power she wants is worth getting whatever kind of revenge you might be able to get with Xena's soul. And besides, if you held this much hatred towards her, why would you have done everything you have to help her?

Artemis looked at the orb of light for a moment before tucking it away in her clothes, as she glanced over at Gabrielle for a moment.

ARTEMIS
I wouldn't.

Suddenly in a quick flash of light Artemis disappeared and before anyone had time to register that the goddess was gone, she reappeared barely inches in front of Alti who looked down as she felt a warm heat in her stomach as at point-blank range, Artemis sent a powerful shot of her godly power directly into Alti's body.

ARTEMIS
This is the last time you will ever harm any of my Amazons Alti.

The shamaness screamed as she found herself unable to move and, just like what had happened to the rest of her army, Alti's body began to beam with a bright light that quickly completely blanketed her. Then with a final painful and rage-feuled yell, Alti's body burst into countless particles of light. Her scream echoed for a few moments as the specs of light began to float off and fade away into nothing. Everyone who had just witnessed what had happened was standing speechless for a moment, before every able-bodied woman dropped to a knee before their goddess. Artemis stood there for a moment as her expression softened to one of sadness as she thought of all the lives lost due to Alti and once again looked at the still burning village. She then reached into her clothing and pulled out the orb that held Xena's soul. Artemis looked at it for a moment as smiled as she then walked over to where Xena's body laid in Gabrielle's arms. The goddess squatted down in front of them.

ARTEMIS
Sorry about worrying all of you like that. But I figured you would want this back before it got destroyed.

Gabrielle looked at the Xena's soul and then at the goddess.

GABRIELLE
Again I don't know what else to say to you Artemis but thank you. I'm sorry, I thought you were going to turn your back on everyone here.

Artemis smiled and chuckled a bit.

ARTEMIS
That's okay, I needed to be pretty convincing in order for me to get Xena's soul back without Alti damaging or destroying it.

The goddess motioned to Gabrielle.

ARTEMIS
Here, why don't you lay her down, and I'll put Xena's soul back where it should be.

Gabrielle looked at the still burning village around them.

GABRIELLE
What about the village?

ARTEMIS
Always such a wonderful queen. You let me worry about that. First, we have to get Xena's soul back into her body. Disembodied souls like this don't last long in this mortal realm. And with the strain I'm sure Alti was putting on it, that only shortened the time we have to bring Xena back significantly.

GABRIELLE
Okay then please do what you need to do to bring Xena back.

Artemis smiled.

ARTEMIS
Of course. Anything for my chosen queen and her warrior princess.

With that, Artemis took the orb containing Xena's soul and pressed it to the center of her chest. As she did so, the orb began to glow brightly as Gabrielle raised one of her hands ro shield her eyes from the intense light. Then after a moment the orb passed into Xena's body and the light faded. Gabrielle lowered her hand as she looked down at Xena. She waited several moments for Xena to do something, but when nothing happened, Gabrielle looked at Artemis with a worried expression in her eyes.

GABRIELLE
Does it usually take this long for someone to wake up after having their soul returned to their body?

ARTEMIS
(Somber tone) if they're going to at all, no.

The goddess stood and raised her hand to the sky and a second later thunder rumbled over head as the clouds and sky above grew dark and rain began to pour down on the destroyed village and gradually put out the raging inferno. And as the rain fell, so did Gabrielle's tears as she heard Artemis say the very words that Gabrielle had always dreaded she would have to hear.

ARTEMIS
(Somber tone) I'm sorry Gabrielle, but there's nothing more I can do. Xena's gone.

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy