Pt.4

Xena and Gabrielle walked into the mess hall on a sunny morning. They both went and grabbed their breakfast. Xena went right to the usual table with their friends. As Gabrielle stepped and talked with a few villagers for a couple minutes before joining Xena and the others. The group chatted about their plans for the day and other mundane conversation topics. As they talked and ate one of the village cooks came over to the table.

AMAZON COOK
Oh Xena, just the woman I was looking for.

Xena stuffed her last big bite into her mouth as she looked at the cook.

XENA 
Mm? Whaffs up?

Gabrielle nudged her for talking with her mouth full.

GABRIELLE 
Chew your food first.

Xena rolled her eyes at Gabrielle scolding her like an ill mannered child. Skyla giggled.

SKYLA 
Don't worry Gabrielle, Clover does the same thing.

Clover looked up from her plate with her mouth full.

CLOVER 
Mou me miet.

As Clover proved Skyla's point, she and Gabrielle looked at each other as they smirked.

GABRIELLE/ SKYLA 
Warriors.

Clover ignored them and went back to eating as Xena returned her attention to the cook as she took a drink and swallowed her food.

XENA 
So what can I do for ya?

COOK
I'm gonna be busy today so I was wondering if you're not doing anything already if you might help with getting some more fish for dinner tonight.

Xena shrugged.

XENA 
Sure.

Xena looked at Gabrielle.

XENA
You didn't have any plans for us today did you?

GABRIELLE 
No. You go enjoy some alone time. It'll give me some time to get some writing done and deal with some queen stuff I've been meaning to get to.

XENA 
(Joking) You make it sound like my being around is a distraction.

Gabrielle smirked.

GABRIELLE 
Aren't you though.

Xena raised an eyebrow at the comment but chose not to respond.

COOK
Eh hem.

Xena looked back at the cook and Gabrielle suddenly found something very interesting about the table as she looked down to try and hide her smirk. The other's at the table chuckled as Xena rolled her eyes again.

XENA 
Sure I can help you out today.

The Amazon cook shook her head at the two and turned to walk back into the kitchen.

COOK 
Great thanks. Just stop by the kitchen when you're done.

Everyone finished eating and went their separate ways. Xena and Gabrielle walked back to their house and Xena got what she needed for her day of fishing. As she headed out the door Gabrielle tossed her a small sack she had put together for Xena to eat during the day. Xena smiled.

XENA 
See ya later.

GABRIELLE 
Stay out of trouble.

XENA 
(Joking) Never get to have any fun.

Gabrielle smiled as Xena walked out of the house, shutting the door behind her. Now alone, Gabrielle looked around the living room and let out a content sigh.

GABRIELLE 
Guess I should get to work.

Gabrielle walked over to a shelf that had a bunch of scrolls and picked up a few. She started walking to the couch and stopped when she suddenly felt a quick jolt of pain in her stomach. I only lasted for a moment so Gabrielle didn't think nothing of it. She continued to the couch and sat down as she placed the scrolls next to her and begin reading. She continued through the scrolls when she felt another sharp pain rip through her midsection. It too subsided after a few seconds. Leaving Gabrielle to wonder if something she ate didn't agree with her. Not thinking much more of it, she returned to reading. But as she did the pain continued as it became more frequent and intense. It soon became impossible for Gabrielle to force on anything. She put down what she was reading as she stood up to go upstairs and lay down. Gabrielle walked towards the stairs but was brought to her knees as the severe pain ripped through her. She wrapped her arms around her stomach as she leaned forward.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Something's wrong. I should get to the village healers.

Gabrielle struggled to get back up and turned to make her way outside. She grabbed hold of various pieces of furniture as she slowly made her way to the front door. The pain seemed to be getting worse as another jolt shot through her. Gabrielle yelled in pain as she dropped to the floor.

XENA 
Oh ho you're a big one.

Xena held up a large fish, fresh out of the water. She got the hook out of the fish's mouth and tossed it in the basket of caught fish next to her. After looking at the nearly full basket Xena stood up and stretched as she looked up at the sky. She saw that the sun was going to be setting soon and figured she should get back home before she ended up in trouble when Gabrielle came looking for her. So she gathered up her fishing stuff and the full basket and headed to the mess hall to drop off her catch. She ran into Ephiny on her way out of the mess hall.

EPHINY 
Hey Xena. You see Gabrielle around?

XENA 
I've been fishing all day. Last I knew she said she was catching up on some queen stuff or something. Why did you need her for anything?

EPHINY
No just thought it seemed a bit odd that I haven't seen her since this morning. Actually no one has. She must be really into work today.

XENA 
Yeah she sometimes does that with her writing too. She'll just get completely lost in what she's doing.

Ephiny smiled as she thought of her friend and queen and how dedicated she could be to anything she was passionate about.

EPHINY
That sort of dedication is just the kind of thing that makes Gabrielle a good queen.

XENA 
Amung other things.

EPHINY 
True. Well I wont keep you. Tell Gabrielle not to work too hard.

XENA 
See ya.

Ephiny walked off as Xena headed home. Xena walked by some flowers and smiled as she grabbed some thinking it would be a nice little surprise for Gabrielle since she had apparently been working hard all day. She smiled as she walked up the steps to their home and put the hand full of flowers behind her back as she quietly opened the front door. Not wanting Gabrielle to hear her come in so she could surprise her. 

XENA 
Gabrielle?

Xena lost her smile as she stepped inside and found Gabrielle curled up on the floor whimpering.

XENA 
Gabrielle?!

Xena quickly rushed over to her and crouched down next to her.

XENA 
Gabrielle what's wrong?

Gabrielle yelled out as another sharp jolt of pain shot through her stomach.

GABRIELLE 
Oh... God's it hurts.

XENA 
What happened?

Gabrielle's only response was a loud cry as she felt more pain shoot through her midsection. Her body shook from the agony she had been experiencing for some time now as she whimpered as momentary break between rounds of pain gave her time to catch her breath. Her eyes finally seemed to register that Xena was there with her.

GABRIELLE 
Xena please I... GAH!

Gabrielle jerked as another sharp pain hit her. She curled up tighter as she cried. Xena looked at the state Gabrielle was in and knew that something was obviously very wrong. She carefully picked her up and hurried out the front door and towards the village infermery. All the while Gabrielle whimpering as she leaned her head into Xena as more waves of pain hit her. Seeing Gabrielle like this tore at Xena's heart as she raced through the village. She knew that whatever it was causing this level of pain must be serious. Xena needed to find out exactly what was wrong with Gabrielle. And she had a strong feeling that she needed to do it soon.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Pt.5

There was a loud bang as a number of Amazons jumped at the sudden loud noise. Their attention shot towards the direction of the noise and saw Xena lowering her boot after apparently kicking the door to the building open. One of the women was about to say something until she noticed Gabrielle in Xena's arms. The Amazon's heard Gabrielle cry out in pain as as they all immediately rushed towards her and Xena.

HEALER
What's going on?

XENA 
I don't know.

Xena quickly carried Gabrielle over to a bed and layed her down. Then she along with the healers began examining Gabrielle. As they all worked Xena took over as the lead in the situation. While at first the healers hadn't liked Xena stepping in, over time when she had helped put her medical skills to use, they had come to respect and appreciate Xena's assistance and input. Especially after the war, when a number of the villagers who had fought were injured. So anytime Xena felt the need to step in they would gladly give her control of the room. And with this being Gabrielle they knew that they couldn't stop Xena from taking charge if they wanted to. Everyone in the village were well aware of Xena and Gabrielle's relationship. So the healers knew that when it came to their queen, Xena would do everything and anything she could for her. So the room got right to work and followed Xena's lead as they tried to figure out what exactly was going on. As everyone worked it was noted that Gabrielle didn't have any external injuries. So it was apparent that it was an internal issue. There were no signs of any broken bones or anything of that sort of thing. Which caused Xena more concern due to that making it more difficult to diagnose the problem. Some time went by as they continued to work. That was when Xena noticed that Gabrielle had begun to come down with a fever and that was when it clicked.

XENA 
I think I know what's wrong.

The healers looked at Xena as she began to give out more orders. Telling one of the healers to go get a number of things. The healer left to gather what they needed and came back very quickly with everything. Afterwards Xena grabbed a bowl and mixed together the ingredients brought to her until it was a semi liquid consistency.

XENA
Ok sit her up.

A healer helped Gabrielle sit upright as she continued to cry in agony. 

XENA 
Here Gabrielle, drink this it should help.

Xena held the bowl to Gabrielle's lips and Gabrielle began to drink the liquid. But quickly pulled back after tasting how fowl it was and gagged.

XENA
I know it tastes terrible but trust me it'll help.

Just wanting the severe pain to stop, Gabrielle forced herself to drink the mixture. After getting Gabrielle to ingest the liquid Xena took the cup from her and grabbed a bucket that she had the healers bring.

HEALER
Okay I get the ingredients for her to drink but what do you need the bucket for.

XENA 
Trust me in a few moments were gonna need it.

The Amazon's looked at each other wondering what Xena meant. One was about to say something when Gabrielle began coughing and Xena quickly shoved the bucket in front of Gabrielle's face. The healers stood there in silence as they heard Gabrielle emptying the contents of her stomach into the bucket. Xena sat on the bed next to Gabrielle and rubbed her back as she waited for her to finish. Afterwards Xena cleaned Gabrielle up and had her lay back down.

XENA 
Hopefully that works. For now.

After a bit Gabrielle's pain began to let up. She looked at Xena as she layed in bed in the infermery.

GABRIELLE 
Xena what's wrong with me?

XENA
I'm not completely sure but I think it's something you ate.

GABRIELLE 
But I ate pretty much the same thing everyone else did. What about the others?

XENA 
I'm gonna find out. You just rest for now okay.

Gabrielle nodded as Xena lovingly stroked her hair. After making sure that Gabrielle was okay Xena left to find answers for what made Gabrielle sick. Although she had her suspicions and she didn't like it at all. As she crossed the village Xena walked past Kai who happened be heading the same direction.

KAI 
What's the rush Xena?

XENA 
I don't have time to talk Kai. There's something I've got to check.

Xena continued walking.

KAI
Something wrong?

XENA 
Yes.

Xena entered the mess hall which was mostly empty except for a couple of the cooks that Xena could hear in the kitchen area. Which was exactly where she went. The cooks were taken by surprise when Xena suddenly burst through the door as it flew open. Xena looked around the room as she began to speak.

XENA 
Just who's allowed in here?

The cooks looked at each other for a moment and then watched Xena as she began to seem to search the room for something.

AMAZON COOK
Technically anyone. But we don't usually get that many people back here.

They watched as Xena continued to go through everything in the kitchen.

XENA
Have you noticed anyone around here acting strangely? Or anything out of place? 

AMAZON COOK 
Other than you right now, no.

Xena finished looking around and gave an irritated sigh as she left. Leaving behind some very confused cooks. Xena walked outside and tried to think of what to do next. She saw Kai walk over.

KAI 
So did you fix whatever was wrong?

XENA 
Not completely.

EPHINY 
Xena. 

Xena and Kai saw Ephiny walking their way.

EPHINY 
Hey is Gabrielle still working?

XENA
No she's with the village healers.

EPHINY 
Village healers? Is something wrong?

XENA
When I went home I found Gabrielle curled up on the floor in excruciating pain.

KAI 
Do you know whats wrong with her?

XENA 
I have theories. But nothing concrete yet. I came here hoping to find something that might help figure this out.

EPHINY 
Is there anything we can do?

XENA
Just if you've noticed anything odd today.

Ephiny thought for a moment but didn't come up with anything that could've been seen as suspicious. Kai also said that she hadn't seen anything either. 

KAI 
Is Gabrielle gonna be okay?

XENA 
I'm gonna do everything I can to make sure she will be.

With that Xena walked away to continue to look for something that could help her find answers. As Xena searched she found herself among a group of trees. After not seeing anything she began to leave, but stopped when a quick flash caught her eye. She turned to a tree and saw something that was reflecting sunlight in a small hole in the trunk. Xena walked over and reached inside and felt something small. She grabbed the mystery item and pulled it out. As she opened her hand to investigate the item, Xena saw that it was a very small, empty bottle. It didn't have a label so she opened it up and sniffed the residue from the liquid left behind. She then put her finger in the bottle to gather up some of the droplets and tasted it before spitting it back out.

XENA 
Shit.

Xena stormed off and headed back to the infermery with the empty bottle. The healers jumped again as Xena stormed in.

HEALER 
(Irritated tone) Can't you just enter a room like a normal person?

Xena ignored the comment as she gathered up a bunch of herbs and began grinding them up. Afterwards Xena went back over to Gabrielle who had fallen asleep while she was gone. Xena gently woke her and had her sit up.

XENA 
Here take this.

Still half asleep Gabrielle drank down the new concoction and once she finished Xena layed her back down. The healer stood next to the bed and looked at Gabrielle who immediately began drifting back to sleep.

HEALER 
So I take it you figured out what was wrong.

XENA 
Yes. Hopefully she'll be okay now.

After talking for a few moments the healer left Xena and Gabrielle alone. Hours later Gabrielle slowly opened her eyes and gave a small smile as she realized Xena laying in the bed as well with her arms around her. Xena looked down when she felt Gabrielle move and saw Gabrielle looking at her. She smiled as she kissed Gabrielle's forehead.

XENA 
Hey. Feeling better?

GABRIELLE 
I think so.

Xena moved and let Gabrielle sit up. As Gabrielle got her bearings she remembered the reason for her being in the infermery.

GABRIELLE 
So I take it you figured out what was wrong with me.

XENA 
Yes.

GABRIELLE 
Okay so what was it?

Xena turned to face Gabrielle with an expression that was a mix of sadness and anger.

GABRIELLE 
Xena what's wrong?

Gabrielle could tell from the way Xena was acting that she wasn't going to like the answer.

GABRIELLE 
Am I going to be okay?

XENA 
Thankfully you should be fine. Dispite efforts thus far.

Gabrielle gave Xena a confused look.

GABRIELLE 
Xena what are you talking about? Just what exactly happened to me?

Xena sighed as she knew that what she was about to say wasn't going to be something that Gabrielle was going to like to hear.

XENA 
Gabrielle you were poisoned.

Gabrielle looked at Xena in shock

GABRIELLE 
Poisoned?

XENA 
Yes. 

GABRIELLE 
But how? Why?

XENA 
I'm not entirely certain whose behind it or why. But based on the events at the waterfall, the practice field and now this. I think that someone in this village wants you dead.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Pt.6

As Gabrielle sat in the bed at the village infermery she shook her head in disbelief at what Xena had just told her.

GABRIELLE 
Xena that can't be right. Everyone in this village are our friends. Why would someone be trying to kill me?

XENA 
I don't know. But I have every intention of finding out who they are and why they're doing this.

GABRIELLE 
Are you sure that's what happened? I mean couldn't it have just been an accident?

Xena knew that Gabrielle didn't want to believe that someone she had befriended could be behind the attempts on her life. But unfortunately so far that did in fact seem to be the case.

XENA 
I wish it was. But based on what you were poisoned with it's clear that whoever's responsible had every intention of killing you.

Gabrielle looked down sadly for a moment as she gathered her thoughts. Then she looked back at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Do you have any idea who it might be?

Xena sighed as she began running through possible suspects in her head.

XENA 
Don't know yet. But I swear I'll find out. And I'll make them pay.

Gabrielle reached over and held Xena's hand.

GABRIELLE 
Xena, I know how you get when it comes to me. Please don't go doing anything you'll regret later.

Xena smiled a little as she lightly squeezed Gabrielle's hand.

XENA 
Don't worry Gabrielle I'm not doing anything to anyone who doesn't deserve it.

Gabrielle smiled as Xena held her for a while. After a couple days Gabrielle was deemed well enough to go home. 

XENA 
Damn it open.

Xena fumbled with the front door to their house as she held Gabrielle in her arms.

GABRIELLE 
Xena I can walk just fine you know.

XENA 
I know.

Xena smiled as she put Gabrielle down and let her stand. Xena opened the door and the two went inside. The next few days Xena was on high alert. She made sure that she kept her eye on Gabrielle as she went about her normal business. As well as watching everyone around her. Xena was determined to find out who was trying to murder Gabrielle. Fortunately Gabrielle had no lasting effects from being poisoned. And seemed to be okay. Everyone appeared happy to see Gabrielle back up and about. She chatted with their friends as she and Xena sat in the mess hall. Xena had inspected the food before hand to insure that there was nothing dangerous in it. Even though she was certain that whoever was behind the poisoning most likely wouldn't attempt to kill Gabrielle the same way again. While Gabrielle wasn't too thrilled about Xena hovering over her a bit more. She understood that was just how Xena was. And Xena did her best not to go back to being too overly proactive. A number of few weeks went by without incident and Xena hadn't come up with any evidence on who could've been behind trying to kill Gabrielle. Other than the fact that she knew that it was someone who was in the village. No one outside would have access. So it was clear that the culprit was someone within the village. And the fact that it was someone they knew who was in close proximity made Xena feel even more on edge about the whole ordeal. Which made her want to find the culprit even sooner.

SKYLA 
Did we do or say something to upset Xena?

Skyla, Fauna, Clover and Amarice looked at Xena who was standing a little ways off and every so often glaring at them as they talked to Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
No. Xena's just been keeping an eye out for whoever's been going after me.

AMARICE 
Has she found anything yet?

GABRIELLE 
No, we still have no idea of whose been doing this.

CLOVER 
It's up to three times now right?

GABRIELLE 
Xena thinks so.

FAUNA 
I sincerely hope they get caught soon. 

GABRIELLE 
You can say that again.

Skyla looked at Xena for a moment.

SKYLA 
She doesn't think it could really be one of us dose she?

GABRIELLE 
Unfortunately according to Xena, for now everyone's a suspect.

SKYLA 
What about you?

Gabrielle smiled at her friends.

GABRIELLE 
Not at all. I know you guys are my friends. I trust you. Even if Xena doesn't.

CLOVER 
I can kinda see where she's coming from though. I'd be the same way if someone was trying to kill Skyla.

SKYLA 
(Joking tone) Aww aren't you sweet. I wove you too.

AMARICE 
(Joking tone) Ooo wove is such a strong statement.

Clover gave a slightly annoyed sigh as the rest of the group laughed a bit. The fun banter helped to lighten Gabrielle's mood a little as she looked back over at Xena who was keeping her watchful eyes on the immediate area for any signs of danger. A few days passed without incident and Gabrielle was getting ready for bed as Xena came upstairs and walked into the bedroom. Gabrielle smiled when she saw Xena standing in the doorway as she pulled on her nightgown. Xena sat her sword and chakrum on the nightstand by the bed as she began getting ready to go to sleep as well. Gabrielle noticed Xena stop and look out the window into the night. 

GABRIELLE 
Is something wrong?

XENA 
I thought I saw something out there.

GABRIELLE 
It was probably just one of the villagers walking by.

XENA 
Not this late and with no light. Plus our house isn't near any of the others.

Xena picked up her sword and headed to the door.

XENA 
I'm gonna go check it out I'll be right back.

Gabrielle sighed as she went to the window and saw Xena step outside below. She watched her walk out into the night before turning to get into bed. Gabrielle layed down, got comfortable and began drifting off to sleep as she waited for Xena to come back. Meanwhile Xena looked around outside for any signs of trouble. Back at the house now mostly asleep, Gabrielle turned over as she snuggled deeper into the blankets. Only to feel too warm a few moments later. Not opening her eyes she uncovered herself a bit as she got comfortable again. A few moments later it only seemed to get warmer as Gabrielle opened her eyes to figure out why it was suddenly so hot. She quickly sat up when she saw smoke coming in the room from outside the bedroom door. Gabrielle jumped out of bed and went to the doorway to see flames racing down the hallway towards their room. With no time to get to the stairs Gabrielle slammed the door shut and hoped it would hold back the fire long enough for her to get out the window. Outside Xena continued looking around and spotted an unknown dark figure running towards the trees not far from their house. She scowled as she began to follow. Xena made it to the trees and was about to continue when she heard Gabrielle's voice yelling. Xena stopped and turned around. That was when she saw their house lit up in a fire.

XENA 
Gabrielle.

Xena wasted no time and rushed back towards the burning building. She stood outside and looked up as she yelled for Gabrielle. Gabrielle came to the window.

GABRIELLE 
I can't get out. The fire's outside the bedroom door.

XENA 
Stay there I'll come get you.

GABRIELLE 
Xena you can't.

XENA 
I'll be fine. Just hold on I'm coming.

By now others in the village had noticed the commotion and arrived on the scene.

EPHINY 
Tell me Gabrielle's not still inside.

XENA 
Not for long.

VALASSCA 
You can't go in after her it's too dangerous.

Xena glared at Valassca.

XENA 
I'm not leaving her in there. I'm going in to get her.

EPHINY 
Go Xena. We'll get to work putting out the fire.

Ephiny shouted to the crowd that had formed in front of the house.

EPHINY 
Hurry start getting water over here!

The crowd quickly scattered and began getting water to extinguish the flames as Xena charged into the burning building. Inside she moved through the smoke that had filled the house. Xena made it to the stairs as she noticed that the fire didn't appear to have started on the first floor. She used her arm to try and shield herself from inhaling too much smoke as she ran up the stairs. At the top Xena was stopped by a wall of flames. She yelled to Gabrielle who heard her from the other side of the closed bedroom door. 

XENA 
Gabrielle are you alright?

Gabrielle coughed as more smoke continued to fill the room.

GABRIELLE 
For now yeah.

XENA 
Good now move away from the door.

Gabrielle did as Xena said.

GABRIELLE 
What are you gonna do?

She didn't hear any response from Xena as she stood in the middle of the room. After a few moments of silence Gabrielle got worried.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?

Again Gabrielle heard nothing. The worst case scenario began to go through her mind as she headed back towards the door.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?!

Gabrielle stopped dead when the door was suddenly busted open and an unidentified cloaked figure rolled in. The figure stood and Gabrielle gave a relieved smile when Xena emerged from the mass of cloth that she had apparently grabbed to shield herself from the flames in order to reach Gabrielle.

XENA 
Come on get to the window. The flames are too intense to go back down the stairs. I barely got through getting here.

The two got to the window and looked at the people below working to put out the fire.

GABRIELLE 
What do we do? Jumping from up here to the ground is risky.

XENA 
I have an idea. 

Xena yelled down and got some of the women's attention. She threw down the cloth down to them and they held it spread out. 

XENA 
Okay Gabrielle we have to jump. Hold on.

Gabrielle held Xena as the two climbed out on the windowsill. Gabrielle looked back and saw the fire now beginning to consume the bedroom. Then Xena jumped and they both fell from the second story of their burning home. Landing safely in the cloth below. The villagers then lowered them the rest of the way to the ground. Xena stood up and helped Gabrielle to her feet as she looked to make sure she was uninjured.

XENA 
You sure you're alright.

GABRIELLE 
I'm okay.

Xena hugged Gabrielle close, happy and relieved that she was okay. A while later once the fire was put out, Gabrielle sat on a bench wrapped in a blanket that someone had given her as she looked at the smoldering remains of their house? Xena walked out of building and sat down next to her.

XENA 
Looks like we'll be able to fix the house itself. Nothing irreplaceable was destroyed. And most importantly no one was hurt.

Gabrielle looked sadly at the wreckage.

GABRIELLE 
That's good.

Xena put her arm around her knowing that they were both aware that the fire was almost certainly not an accident. They sat there in silence as the fact that someone desperately wanted Gabrielle dead began to weigh very heavily on her. Just trying to kill her Gabrielle could handle, but that fire could've gotten Xena killed too. And that was something that Gabrielle wasn't just going to take laying down. Xena felt Gabrielle grip her hand and looked at her.

GABRIELLE 
We have to find who's behind this Xena. It wasn't just me that they put in danger tonight. They could've killed you too. And I...

Xena hugged her as she saw the fear of Gabrielle losing her in Gabrielle's eyes.

XENA 
It's okay. We're both safe. We'll stop whoever's responsible I promise.

Xena and Gabrielle received several offers from various villagers to stay with them until their house was repaired. But Xena declined. Unsure of who they could trust, Xena wasn't taking any chances. The last thing Xena wanted was for them to possibly be under the same roof as Gabrielle's would be assassin. So that night the two stayed outside like they had done most nights before coming to the secret village. They found a spot out of the way among a group of trees. Gabrielle managed to fall asleep. While Xena stayed awake as she just layed next to Gabrielle holding her close under the blanket. She closed her eyes but kept her other senses on alert for anyone who might come their way. The night was quiet quiet except the normal sounds of the nocturnal wildlife. That was until Xena heard the snapping of a twig. She stealthy reached for her chakrum as she peeked open her eyes. That was when she saw a hooded figure crouching a little ways from her and Gabrielle. She noticed the figure pull back on a bow as they aimed an arrow directly at Gabrielle. In an instant they sent the arrow flying as Xena sat up and threw her chakrum at the figure. It flew through the air and deflected the arrow away as it continued on course for the mystery figure, who hastily got out of the way of Xena's weapon. The chakrum bounced off a couple trees then came back to Xena who was on her feet and glaring angerly at the mystery person.

XENA 
(Angry tone) So came back to try killing Gabrielle again? And twice in one night. You really have some nerve. You had better hope that you're faster than I am because when I catch you you're gonna wish I had just killed you.

The mystery figure quickly turned and started running as Xena drew her sword and let out her battle cry into the pre-dawn morning. Hearing the familar sound, Gabrielle quickly awoke and sat up just in time to see Xena chasing after someone. Gabrielle stood and followed Xena, realizing she had probably caught her attempted assassin in the act. The chase was on as Xena followed behind an obviously highly skilled assailant. Whoever the mystery person was Xena noted that they were very fast and agile. But she also knew that they were in a walled village. It might've been fairly large but there was still only so far the would be murderer could go. And after multiple attempts on Gabrielle's life Xena was determined to not allow whoever she was chasing the opportunity to escape.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy