Pt.7

Xena ran through the village after the mystery cloaked figure who she had stopped from killing Gabrielle only moments earlier. Gabrielle followed not far behind as the sun continued to rise on the new day. The chase lead through a housing area of the village as a number of Amazons began coming outside to start their days. The cloaked figure began weaving between the villagers in an effort to lose Xena and Gabrielle. Xena grabbed her chakrum and prepared to throw it, but was unable to get a clear shot without running the risk of hitting any bystanders. She growled to herself as she kept running and replaced her weapon back on her hip. The mystery person vaulted over a fence and some crates as they ran through the wheat field that was in the farming area of the village. Xena almost effortlessly followed right behind and continued the chase. Meanwhile Gabrielle who wasn't as athletic had a more difficult time getting over everything. Especially while still in her nightgown. She climbed over the fence and scaled to the top of the crates only to see Xena and the mystery person disappear into the distance. She sighed as she began walking back to the middle of the village.

GABRIELLE 
I have got to get better at this sort of thing.

Xena ran full speed after the assailant. The person turned a corner ahead of Xena. Xena pursued closely and saw them disappear into a group of trees and shrubbery. Xena jumped through the bushes and looked around for a moment before spotting the mystery figure getting away. Now with no one else around Xena sent her chakrum flying towards the fleeing person who ducked and rolled as the weapon flew by. They continued running as Xena caught the weapon when it came back while still in pursuit. Xena vaulted over a fallen tree and rounded a corner as the cloaked figure turned behind some rocks. She ran to the large stones and stopped as she looked for the person she'd been after. Xena drew her sword and slowly walked forward when she didn't see the assailant. She kept her senses on alert as she attempted to locate the cloaked figure. The area became silent as Xena scowled. After a few minutes she heard someone coming up behind her and swore under her breath as she sheathed her sword and put her chakrum back on her hip.

XENA 
I lost 'em.

She turned, knowing it was Gabrielle who was behind her. Gabrielle stopped in front of her and huffed as she looked out at the trees.

GABRIELLE
I can't believe they managed to out run you of all people.

XENA 
Clearly whoever it was is fairly skilled. And relentless.

Xena began looking around the area for anything that could help in either identifying or locating the culprit who had once again escaped justice.

GABRIELLE 
Do you think that was the one behind all the other incidents too?

XENA 
Probably.

After not finding anything of use in the immediate area, Xena and Gabrielle begin walking back to where they had been camping out near their burned home. When they got back, Gabrielle walked over and sat on a rock as she looked out at the village. Xena could tell that everything was beginning to weigh on Gabrielle. She walked over and sat beside her as Gabrielle layed her head on Xena's shoulder. They sat there for a bit before Gabrielle spoke.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know how much more of this I can take Xena.

Xena held Gabrielle as she tried to comfort her.

XENA 
Maybe it would be best if we leave the village.

GABRIELLE 
No. I won't run from this. There has to be another way.

XENA 
I should've known you'd say that. Plus if whoever's try to kill you really wants you dead it's not like we couldn't be followed anyway.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Oh that's reassuring.

They sat there for a while until they got hungry. Xena and Gabrielle walked to the mess hall. And after making sure that the food was safe, the two headed back towards the door.

SKYLA 
Gabrielle, Xena.

Xena and Gabrielle stopped and looked at the table where Skyla and a couple of their other friends sat. Gabrielle smiled and was about to walk over when she felt Xena's hand on her shoulder. She looked at Xena, seeing the suspicion in her eyes. Gabrielle lowered her eyes sadly for a moment after realizing that for the time being trusting anyone was risky. As much as she wanted to believe that none of their friends were behind the attacks, she knew that until they found proof Xena wouldn't be so easily convinced. So Gabrielle simply gave the group a small smile and wave as she and Xena left the mess hall. Skyla and the others looked at each other feeling a bit hurt by Xena's suspicions, but on some level understood and couldn't really fault her for it after everything that had been happening recently. A little later Gabrielle walked ahead of Xena as the two moved through the trees near where Xena had chased off the cloaked assailant earlier that morning. Xena hoped that with more light she would be able to find something that she might've missed before.

GABRIELLE 
Anything yet?

XENA 
No. Whoever it was covered their tracks well.

Gabrielle gave an exasperated sigh as she leaned on her staff. Xena knew that they could both use a break and stood up from where she was crouched looking for clues. She walked over to Gabrielle and smiled a little.

XENA 
Hey let's go find a quiet spot we can relax for a bit.

GABRIELLE
Sure.

Xena walked ahead as Gabrielle poked at the ground with her staff as she began to follow. Then she stopped when she moved some leaves and found something.

GABRIELLE 
Huh what's this?

Xena stopped when she heard Gabrielle as she turned to see her bend down and pick up something. Gabrielle looked at Xena who walked over as she stood back up.

XENA 
Find something?

Gabrielle handed Xena what she had picked up. Xena began to inspect the small object.

GABRIELLE 
Any idea what it might be? 

XENA 
Not quite sure but I have a feeling it was most likely dropped by the person I chased off early this morning.

Gabrielle looked at the small item that Xena was holding. It was a wooden tile that fit in the palm of Xena's hand with a string looped through a small hole at the top. As if it were supposed to be tied to something. Carved into it was what appeared to be a crown with a slash going through it. After getting a good look at the object Xena clenched her fist around it as a thought crossed her mind that she didn't like at all. Gabrielle could tell that Xena had suddenly become very tense and touched her arm to try and calm her down a little.

GABRIELLE 
What is it Xena? Did you figure something out?

Xena looked out around them for a moment before turning her attention to Gabrielle. 

XENA 
I think you may be in more danger than we realized.

GABRIELLE 
What do you mean? I don't think it can get worse than someone trying to murder me.

Xena held up the tile for Gabrielle to see.

XENA 
It can if it's not just one person who wants you dead.

GABRIELLE 
You think that proves more than one person is behind everything?

XENA 
Yes, other wise they wouldn't need something like this to identify themselves to the others they associate with. No one would just carry something like this around for the fun of it. Especially after the attempts on your life being so well known throughout the village. It would be far too risky.

Based on the design on the tile it was fairly obvious that whoever it belonged to was most likely not a fan of the current queen. Meaning they were definitely after Gabrielle. And the fact that they now knew that she was being targeted by multiple people, made the situation far more complicated. Now Xena really didn't know who in the village they could trust. She had the idea to just take Gabrielle and leave dispite Gabrielle's objections. But she knew that they couldn't just live their lives on the run.

GABRIELLE 
So what do we do now?

XENA
Simple. We find the people responsible and stop them. 

GABRIELLE 
How?

XENA 
Well first we need to determine who we can trust and that will help narrow down the suspects. Because as of right now no one is clear of suspicion.

GABRIELLE 
Okay.

XENA 
Come on we've got work to do.

Xena and Gabrielle went off to make a plan for how to distinguish between friend and foe within the village. With Xena keeping an even closer eye on Gabrielle knowing that the culprits after her could strike at any time. Later in the evening a door opened and shut as a hooded person entered a room.

? 1
Well?

HOODED FIGURE 
We were foiled again.

? 1
(Angry tone) How hard is it to kill one person?! I want her dead!

HOODED FIGURE 
We all know that as long as Xena's around her we'll never get a real shot at her.

? 1
True. Very well. I didn't want to do this because of how difficult I know it would be, but it seems we have no choice but to get rid of or at the very least find a way to subdue Xena before we can take her out for good.

? 2
You can leave that to me. 

? 1
Are you sure you can take her?

? 2
Yes. Especially since she'll never see it coming.

? 1
Good. Then not long from now I will finally have her right where I want her. And then at long last it'll be mine and Gabrielle will be dead.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Pt.8

XENA 
Again Gabrielle.

Gabrielle swung her staff at Xena who ducked. Xena grabbed the weapon and pulled, sending it behind her along with Gabrielle who held on. Gabrielle tucked and rolled behind Xena then turned and thrust her staff forward towards Xena's back. Xena quickly moved as Gabrielle came forward and missed her shot. Then Xena grabbed Gabrielle from behind. Gabrielle quickly pushed off the ground and sent them both backwards to the grass. She then continued her momentum and rolled back over Xena's head and slipped out of the hold Xena had her in. She got to her feet and swung her staff straight down stopping just inches from Xena's face who didn't even flinch as the weapon came down.

GABRIELLE 
(Huffing) How was that?

XENA 
Not bad. Buuut...

GABRIELLE 
But whaah!

In almost an instint Xena grabbed Gabrielle's staff and arm as she flipped her to the ground and before Gabrielle knew what happened Xena was on top of her pinning her to the ground.

XENA 
Even if it looks like you're enemy is down you can't drop your guard until you know for sure that they're no longer a threat.

GABRIELLE 
I'll remember that. Now could you get off me?

Xena smirked as she leaned close to Gabrielle.

XENA 
(Seductive tone) Oh and here I thought you liked me on top of you.

GABRIELLE 
Not when we're in the middle of a bunch of people looking at us.

Xena smirked as she got to her feet and took Gabrielle's hand to help her stand. Gabrielle looked around at the other people on the practice field who had stopped to watch for a moment go back to their previous activities. Xena and Gabrielle walked off and grabbed some water to quench their thirst after the strenuous routine. After the numerous attempts on Gabrielle's life, Xena had decided that Gabrielle needed to be better prepared to defend herself against an attack if Xena wasn't around. So Xena had begun sparing with Gabrielle and giving her better pointers for how to incompassitate or escape from anyone who might come after her. It hadn't been long since they started but Xena could already see Gabrielle improving. Neither Xena or Gabrielle wanted Gabrielle to go full warrior, which was why Gabrielle stuck with her trusty staff. The training was primarily about bettering Gabrielle's defenses so she was less likely to be caught of guard if the people after her decided to go for the straight up approach. As well and heightening her senses to better pick up on anything dangerous that might be nearby. Which Gabrielle was getting better at as well. During this time Xena had continued to investigate to try finding those behind the assassination attempts, but hadn't come up with anything that pointed to who the culprits were. After figuring that it was likely that it was more than one person after Gabrielle, Xena had closely watching the villagers for any one acting suspicious. But hadn't found anything thus far. So time went by with both Xena and Gabrielle on alert for the next attack, but were surprised when after a couple weeks nothing happened. With their house finally repaired, Gabrielle stood looking out of their bedroom window watching the people below. As she stood there she heard a noise behind her and grabbed her staff that she made sure to keep next to her at all times now. She turned and quickly swung her staff. A hand shot out aand caught the weapon mid swing as the person stepped into the light.

XENA 
It's alright it's just me.

Xena let go of the staff as Gabrielle relaxed a little a put her weapon back where she had it leaning against the wall.

GABRIELLE 
(Sighing) I hate this Xena. I'm always on edge now.

XENA 
I know.

GABRIELLE 
Gods is this what you feel like always needing to be on high alert. Because it's exhausting.

XENA 
Kind of. But as a warrior who's been at this for a long time it's just normal for me at this point. 

Xena walked up and held Gabrielle.

XENA
We'll find those responsible soon and then we can all relax.

GABRIELLE 
I really hope so.

Physically and emotionally tired Gabrielle pulled away, picked up her staff and headed to bed. Xena took one more look around and then went to sleep herself. Hoping that they would discover the ones behind the attacks soon. Morning came as Xena and Gabrielle walked through the village. They made their way to the practice field. After some sparing Gabrielle walked over to grab a drink. Then Xena saw her begin to walk off.

XENA 
Where you off to?

GABRIELLE 
I'm just going to get some water.

XENA 
Want me to come with you?

GABRIELLE 
You know I can't have you with me every moment of every day. 

XENA 
I can try.

GABRIELLE 
Xena you're not going back to being over protective of me again are you?

XENA 
No. It's just with what's going on...

Gabrielle walked over to Xena and smiled at her as she softly touched Xena's cheek.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay I know you're worried about me. But you have to still let me do things on my own. Plus you've said so yourself that I've gotten much better at defending myself. So I'm pretty sure I can handle walking through the village without my personal warrior princess bodyguard right behind me.

Xena smiled.

XENA 
Alright. Just remember to keep your eyes and ears open for anything.

GABRIELLE 
Don't worry I will.

Gabrielle walked off and Xena watched her leave. Xena walked over and sat on a bench and began sharpening her sword while still keeping tabs on everything around her. As she sat there Xena someone peek out a building that Gabrielle had passed. Then a few moments later come out and begin following her. Xena scowled as she quickly got up and began following them. As she got closer Xena recognized the person and growled to herself.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) What are you doing Kai?

Xena was ready to leap into action if she needed to but didn't want to jump to conclusions just yet. She continued following Kai who looked around suspiciously before she turned and began walking a different direction from Gabrielle. Xena's eyes narrowed as she judged the number of people in the mess hall and figured that with so many around no one would be foolish enough to try anything. So with Gabrielle safe for the time being, Xena decided to stealthily continue following Kai. Xena tracked the Amazon to a secluded area behind a building. Xena hugged the wall as she peeked around the corner. She saw Kai meeting up with a hooded woman and focused on listening to their conversation.

?
You know she's not happy with how long this is taking.

KAI 
Hey it's not my fault Xena's always with her now. Maybe if the others got the job done before we wouldn't be in this mess.

?
You're not much better either.

Xena felt her anger building at what the conversation she was hearing meant. Kai, their supposed friend was one of the ones plotting to kill Gabrielle.

KAI 
Oh aren't I. After all I got her to follow me and leave Gabrielle completely unguarded.

Kai smirked as she looked over her shoulder.

KAI
Isn't that right, Xena.

Xena sneered as she stood up and reached for her sword as she prepared to run after Gabrielle. But then multiple Amazons grabbed Xena from behind. Xena tried fighting them off and she thought how much she hated how skilled Amazons were at stealth combat at that moment. She had fallen right into a very well layed trap and now all Xena could think of was if they wanted her there what did they have planned for Gabrielle? Xena pushed back and drove the Amazon into the wall as another jumped at her. Xena still fought as a third woman jumped on her, finally taking Xena to the ground. But Xena refused to give up as she struggled to get free from the Amazon's. She yelled as she continued to try and free herself as the Amazon's held her down and forcefully tied her hands behind her back. As they held Xena under control, Kai walked up to her and took her sword and chakrum.

XENA 
Why are you doing this Kai? Why try killing Gabrielle?

Kai looked down at Xena as she casually rested Xena's sword on her shoulder.

KAI
Hey this wasn't my idea. I'm just getting you out of the way so our rightful ruler can take her place.

XENA 
What?

KAI 
Now no more questions. Why don't you take a nap until I'm ready to deal with you.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Damn you Kai if you hurt Gabrielle I'll...

Before Xena could finish she was struck hard in the back of her head and everything went blurry for a moment before Xena's consciousness was claimed by darkness and she lay on the ground motionless. Meanwhile Gabrielle came out of the mess hall and began walking back towards the practice field where she left Xena. She stopped when she heard someone behind her.

?
There you are Gabrielle. I've been looking for you.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Pt.9

After hearing someone behind her, Gabrielle turned around to see Valassca standing there.

GABRIELLE 
Oh Valassca, did you need something.

VALASSCA 
I'm glad I finally found you. I came to get you as soon as I could.

GABRIELLE 
Why, is something wrong?

VALASSCA 
It's Xena. I just saw a few people carrying her off somewhere.

Valassca saw a worried expression appear on Gabrielle's face.

GABRIELLE 
What happened?

VALASSCA 
I think whoever's after you must be targeting her now as well.

GABRIELLE 
No... You said that they were carrying her off, which means that Xena might be hurt and in danger. We have to find her. 

VALASSCA 
I doubt Xena would want you going off without her right now, it's far too dangerous.

GABRIELLE 
I don't care. I can't just leave her when she needs help.

VALASSCA 
You're right Gabrielle. But Xena wouldn't be too pleased if I just let you go off on your own. So allow me to help find her.

GABRIELLE 
Of course, I appreciate that Valassca. Maybe we should find the others to help as well.

VALASSCA 
I've already alerted Ephiny and she's gathering up a search party as we speak. But we do have to be careful about who we talk to we don't know who might be behind this.

GABRIELLE 
That's what Xena thinks too. So I guess you might have a point. But then how can I trust you?

VALASSCA 
Because I found this behind a building.

Valassca pulled out Xena's chakrum that was hooked on her belt behind her and handed it to Gabrielle. As Gabrielle looked at the weapon she knew that Xena must've really been in trouble if she didn't have her chakrum with her.

GABRIELLE 
No Xena...

Gabrielle looked back up at Valassca.

GABRIELLE 
We better hurry.

VALASSCA 
This way. We should start looking around where I found her chakrum.

Valassca turned and quickly walked off with Gabrielle close behind as they began to search for Xena. Meanwhile Xena slowly opened her eyes as she regained consciousness. As she opened her eyes and her vision came back into focus she groaned at the pain in her head. Xena realized that she was laying on the ground and that her hands were tied behind her back and attached to a tree behind her. Her feet were also tied together. She pulled against her restrains but had no success with getting free. Xena saw a pair of boots walk up to her and growled when she looked up at the person standing there.

KAI 
You can try all you want Xena, you're not getting free.

Xena managed to sit up and lean against the tree. She noticed the Kai had brought her out of the village as she looked around to assess her situation. Xena scowled as she glared up at the Amazon.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Why are you doing this Kai? Gabrielle's done nothing to you.

KAI 
You're right she hasn't.

XENA
(Angry tone) Then why are you trying to kill her?

Kai smirked as she crouched down in front of Xena.

KAI
Oh Xena, I have no personal grudge against Gabrielle. Honestly I couldn't care what happens to her either way.

XENA 
(Angry tone) The fact that you're trying to kill her would prove otherwise.

KAI 
It's not so much as me wanting her dead, it's more wanting you to suffer.

XENA
(Angry tone) What are you talking about?

KAI 
I suppose I can tell you. The truth is that I can't stand you Xena. Actually I don't think I've ever hated anything as much as I despise you. 

Kai stood up as she sighed contently. She put her hands on her hips and looked down at Xena.

KAI 
Now let's see what I can do while we wait.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Wait for what?

KAI 
Oh just word that Gabrielle's been "Taken care of."

Gabrielle followed Valassca as she searched for Xena. Gabrielle held Xena's chakrum, knowing that Xena was in trouble.

GABRIELLE 
Anything yet?

VALASSCA 
No. So far the only sign that Xena was even here was her chakrum I picked up before coming to find you.

Valassca lead Gabrielle to where Xena was attacked and taken.

VALASSCA 
This is where I found it. It was just laying in the grass when I walked by.

GABRIELLE 
How'd you spot it?

Valassca shrugged. 

VALASSCA 
Just lucky I suppose. I noticed something reflecting the sunlight and decided to investigate what it was.

GABRIELLE 
Well it's a good thing you did. Hopefully we can find something that can lead us to where Xena is.

VALASSCA 
Then there's no time to waste. Let's spread out and see what we can find.

GABRIELLE 
Right.

Gabrielle and Valassca spread out as Gabrielle began looking for any clues that might help them locate Xena.

GABRIELLE
Anything yet?

VALASSCA 
No. I'll let you know if I find something.

The two searched for a bit but came up with nothing.

GABRIELLE 
Nothing. Valassca I'm getting really worried about Xena. If we can't figure out where she's been taken...

VALASSCA 
We'll find her. Stay here and keep looking. I'm gonna go see if I can pick up on her trail. Maybe that'll help us find her.

GABRIELLE 
Good idea.

VALASSCA 
Are you going to be okay by yourself for a while?

GABRIELLE 
I appreciate your concern, but I can handle myself. I am queen you know.

VALASSCA 
Indeed.

Valassca began walking away.

VALASSCA 
Very well. I'll be back soon.

Gabrielle continued to search when she suddenly felt a sharp pain in the back of her head. She dropped to the ground. She tried to get up but couldn't as she felt her consciousness begining to fade. Gabrielle heard a voice as she rolled to her back. She fought to stay awake as she saw a blurry figure standing over her. 

?
Finally I have my chance to be rid of you for good.

Gabrielle blinked a couple times as the figure crunched down and came into focus. She looked at the person in shock and sadness as she saw who it was.

GABRIELLE 
Valassca?

VALASSCA
That's right. 

Valassca scowled as she looked down at Gabrielle.

VALASSCA 
It should not have been so difficult to kill you. But without Xena around, it just made this so much easier.

Gabrielle tried again to get up, but could barely even keep her eyes open anymore. Finally unable to fight it any longer, darkness claimed Gabrielle and she passed out. With the last sound she heard being Valassca's voice as she stood over her.

VALASSCA 
Soon enough everything that should be mine will at last be in my grasp. I will finally have my vengeance and at long last reclaim what you so unjustly stole from me.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Pt.10

Xena pulled against her restrains but still had no luck getting free. She growled in frustration as she sat back against the tree. Kai smirked as she sat down on a rock a few feet in front of Xena.

KAI 
You really don't know when to give up do you?

XENA
No.

Kai shrugged nonchalantly.

KAI 
Fine with me. You can tire yourself out all you want.

The two sat there in an awkward silence for a few minutes. Finally Xena thought of something and decided to see if she could get some answers.

XENA 
You know I don't get it.

KAI 
Get what? 

XENA 
Not that I particularly care at this point, but just what is it that I've done to you to make you hate me so much that you're willing to take it out on Gabrielle just to get to me. Not that it's the first time it's happened, but since you've lived in this village your whole life and Gabrielle and myself only arrived here a few month ago, I'm curious to know just how I've wronged you so greatly that you're willing to do all this.

KAI 
You wanna know why I hate you? Fine I'll tell you. Let's see, where to start?

Kai stood up as she continued to speak.

KAI 
Well first of all you go around here showing off like you're better than everyone else. 
(Mocking tone) Because you're the great Xena.

XENA 
(Angry tone) That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. You're trying to kill Gabrielle because you're jealous and insecure. Are you insane?!

Kai walked up and slapped Xena across the face.

KAI 
(Angry tone) Don't be ridiculous. Me jealous of someone like you. Ha!

Xena shook off the hit as she looked back up at the Amazon.

KAI 
No. I have other reasons for doing this Xena.

XENA 
Care to enlighten me?

KAU
Simple. You might have everyone else here fooled but not me.

XENA 
What's that supposed to mean?

KAI
Well you see after the first day at the Amazonian summit and that whole fiasco. I decided to do a little digging to figure out just what those women were talking about when it came to you. And I learned some very interesting things about your past Xena. All the crimes and horrific acts you've committed against the Amazon people. 
(Angry tone) My people.

Xena lowered her head in shame. Once more her past evil deeds had caused more pain and suffering. And yet again Gabrielle had been put in danger because of her. After a moment she looked back up at Kai.

XENA 
I don't know what what to say. My actions then are inexcusable. Just know that I'm not the same woman I once was. That Xena is long dead. And I will spend the rest of my life attempting to right those wrongs. Which I know can never truly be undone.

Kai scowled.

KAI 
(Angry tone) You think this pathetic act of remorse changes anything? I might not have known those women you murdered, but they were still my Amazon sisters.

XENA 
If you care so deeply for your fellow Amazon's then why go after Gabrielle instead of me directly? She's your friend and queen.

KAI 
I like Gabrielle, but she's just an unfortunate casualty in all this. But since I know hurting her in turn hurts you she just became the obvious target. Especially since I can't exactly take you in a straight up fight. This seemed like a much better way to give everyone what they wanted and deserved. Well I guess except for Gabrielle.

XENA
Everyone? So I was right there are other's involved.

Kai smiled an evil grin.

KAI 
A handful yes. Honestly I'm not even the one who came up with the plan of killing Gabrielle. 

XENA 
Then who did? Who actually wants Gabrielle dead?

KAI 
Well there's actually a good number of people in the village who don't think Gabrielle is a good ruler. Mainly after the war and the fact that this village was completely safe before the two of you came along.

XENA 
People don't seriously blame Gabrielle for that?

KAI 
Oh they do. Not all obviously, but enough to form the beginnings of a rebellion.

XENA 
(Talking to herself) I was right about that tile then.

KAI 
You mean this?

Kai pulled out a small wooden tile that had the same crown with a slash going through it just like the one Xena and Gabrielle had found.

KAI 
Yeah our leader had us each start carrying these once our numbers started growing. Made it easier to keep track of who had joined the cause.

XENA 
Your leader. So your not the one running the show?

KAI 
Nope. I just joined in once I realized I had a chance to hunt you. But her on the other hand, it seems personal. I guess she's had a thing against Gabrielle for a long time now. Something about how Gabrielle never should've been queen and she stole the crown from her. 

Xena's eyes widened at the realization of who was behind the whole plot to kill Gabrielle.

XENA 
Valassca.

KAI 
(Condicending tone) Oh look who finally figured it out. You know you and Gabrielle are really bad at picking your friends. I'd say you should get better at it but you'll both be dead soon anyway, so I guess it's too late for that isn't it?

Xena yelled in outrage as she pulled against her restrains again. Kat simply watched as Xena fought to get free. After a few moments Xena stopped struggling. She sneered at Kai as she tried to figure out how to get free.

KAI 
(Condicending tone) Oh look who tired herself out?

Kai laughed as she slapped Xena in the face again. Xena growled in anger as she looked the Amazon dead in the eyes with an ice cold stare.

XENA 
(Cold tone) I might not be the same vicious warlord I once was but if anything happens to Gabrielle, Kai I swear you, along with everyone else involved will get to see first hand just how ruthless I can still be.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Pt.11

Gabrielle groaned as she began to regain consciousness. Her head throbbing from being hit from behind earlier. She knew she must've been out for a while based on the position of the sun outside the window of the building she was in. Now it was late in the day and the sun would be setting in a few hours. She shook off her groggyness as she heard a voice that reminded her what happened before she had been incompassitated.

VALASSCA 
About time you woke up.

Gabrielle sat up slowly as realized her hands and feet were in chains as she looked at Valassca sitting in a chair.

GABRIELLE 
Where are we? 

VALASSCA 
An old building ao the edge of the village. No one comes here anymore so I wouldn't bother trying to yell for help.

GABRIELLE 
Why are you doing this Valassca? I thought we were friends.

Valassca scowled.

VALASSCA 
You really are a fool Gabrielle. I've never liked you. I simply tolerated you because I had to.

Gabrielle was quiet for a moment as she gathered her thoughts. Then she came to a very unsettling realization.

GABRIELLE 
So you're the one who's been trying to kill me aren't you?

VALASSCA 
Not directly but yes. I've had a handful of others helping me.

Valassca pulled out a dagger and began idly fiddllng with it.

VALASSCA 
But thanks to Xena, you proved far more difficult to get rid of than I originally thought. So I finally decided to take matters into my own hands. After all as that saying goes, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

Gabrielle scowled, unintimidated by valasca.

GABRIELLE 
Then why didn't you do it already? I was unconscious for hours, you had plenty of time and opportunity to kill me during that time.

VALASSCA 
Simple I wanted you awake and aware of my victory over you.

GABRIELLE 
Your victory?

Then Gabrielle remembered what she had heard Valassca saying before she passed out.

GABRIELLE 
Wait a minute I remember you saying something about taking back what I stole from you. What did you mean? I've never taken anything from you.

VALASSCA 
Oh but you have.

Valassca stood up and walked towards Gabrielle. She stopped and crouched down in front of her as she placed the dagger under Gabrielle's chin lifting her face to look at her. As Gabrielle looked into Valassca's eyes, she saw nothing but anger and hatred.

VALASSCA 
(Angry tone) You stole something that should be rightfully mine. 

GABRIELLE 
I swear I don't know what you're talking about.

Valassca sneered as she backhanded Gabrielle across the face.

VALASSCA
Then allow me to refresh your memory.

Gabrielle shook off the hit and watched Valassca as the Amazon stood up and she walked around the small room as she continued to speak.

VALASSCA 
If you recall Melosa was queen before you.

GABRIELLE
I remember.

VALASSCA 
Well if you follow the proper lines of succession after her, Valassca's daughter was next in line. But once she died it should have meant that it was my right to inherent the role as queen. That is until Melosa's foolish offspring gave you her right of caste before she died. It put you, an unexperienced, non blood born Amazon right in line for the throne. So after Melosa was killed, you automatically took her place as queen.

GABRIELLE 
Instead of you.

VALASSCA 
(Angry tone) It should've been mine!

Valassca angerly struck Gabrielle hard across the face again. Gabrielle scowled at Valassca.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) So that's what this whole things been about? 

VALASSCA 
(Angry tone) You're damn right that's what it's about. You took what should rightfully belong to me.

Valassca stepped back as she began to think of what to do next.

GABRIELLE 
It's not like I asked for any of this you know.

VALASSCA 
No but you were more than happy to accept the role.

Gabrielle could see Valassca seeming to become even madder by the second as the vengeful Amazon stood there glaring at her.

VALASSCA 
And if that wasn't bad enough, you're almost never even around. And did you think to leave me, the person best qualified for the position, and who should be queen in charge while you're gone? No! Instead you pick Ephiny. Someone who doesn't even want the role. So while you're busy being Xena's little sidekick, Ephiny's ruling as queen and I get nothing. But all that ends today.

GABRIELLE 
Do you really think that Xena and the others won't notice that I'm missing? Especially after all of your failed attempts to assassinate me.

VALASSCA 
Oh I'm not too worried about Xena. Kai should be dealing with her as we speak.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) So Xena is in trouble, but it's because of you.

VALASSCA 
I needed her out of the way.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Why would Kai help you?

VALASSCA 
I guess like so many others she doesn't like Xena. I think she found out what an evil person Xena was and wants revenge for the despicable actions Xena committed against the Amazon's in the past.

Gabrielle tried to stand and run but the shackles around her ankles caused her to trip and fall to the floor. Valassca smirked.

VALASSCA 
Do you really think you'll be able to get anywhere like that? You're as foolish as ever Gabrielle.

Gabrielle sat there as the situation fully sunk in. Valassca, someone Gabrielle thought was her friend was actually a mad woman driven by a lust for power to the point of pretending to be an ally until Valassca got the opportunity to kill her. And not only was Gabrielle's life in danger, but Xena's as well. Gabrielle tried to think of a way out of her predicament. But with herself being tied up, Xena apparently being held of by Kai and no one knowing where they were. Gabrielle's future did not look good.

SKYLA 
Huh I wonder where they all went.

CLOVER
I know it's odd that we haven't seen them in hours.

SKYLA
(Joking tone) Well you know how Xena and Gabrielle are. I bet they went off for a little lovin'.

CLOVER 
Normally I'd assume that, but I haven't seen Kai in awhile either.

Skyla thought for a moment.

SKYLA
Huh now that you mention it you're right. I don't think I've seen Valassca around either.

Skyla looked at Clover with a worried expression on her face.

SKYLA 
You don't think they're in some kind of trouble do you?

CLOVER 
Normally I wouldn't but with the fact that trouble seems to follow Xena and Gabrielle around. Plus with the mysterious attacks on Gabrielle,...

SKYLA
They all might've been attacked by whoever's behind it.

CLOVER 
That's my thought.

SKYLA 
We better get the others and start looking for them.

CLOVER 
Only Iris and Fauna. We don't know if anyone else might be behind their disappearances.

SKYLA
What about Ephiny and Amarice? I know we don't know them as well, but they are Xena, Gabrielle and Valassca's friends. I'm sure we can trust them.

CLOVER 
If you think so, fine we'll round them up too. Let's go, I don't know why but I have a bad feeling that we have better hurry.

SKYLA
Good it's not just me then. I just hope they're all okay.

Skyla and Clover hurried off to gather the others and begin their search for Xena, Gabrielle, Kai and Valassca. Completely unaware that Valassca and Kai were not only behind Xena and Gabrielle going missing. But the ones who have set in motion the plot to kill Gabrielle.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy