Pt.12

FAUNA 
Anything yet?

IRIS 
No. Still no sign of any of them.

Fauna and Iris stood by the mess hall where everyone in the search party had agreed to meet up.

EPHINY
I'm guessing you guys haven't found them yet either.

FAUNA 
Unfortunately no.

Not long after Ephiny arrived Amarice, Clover and Skyla showed up. None of which had any success in locating their missing friends. And the group was beginning to become worried.

SKYLA 
Could they have left the village?

CLOVER
No I checked at the entrance and the guards said that no one's left except a few hunters who came back already. And that none of the four were in the group.

AMARICE 
I asked around and all I got was someone who said that they saw Gabrielle go off with Valassca. But that was hours ago.

EPHINY
Odd.

SKYLA 
Why's that odd?

EPHINY 
Because while most people might not notice, Valassca doesn't really like Gabrielle.

SKYLA 
Does Gabrielle know?

EPHINY 
I don't think so.

FAUNA 
That does seem a little suspicious. But it doesn't explain Xena and Kai going missing as well.

AMARICE 
Could Valassca have known what happened to Xena and came to get Gabrielle?

EPHINY 
It's possible. But doesn't explain Kai being gone.

CLOVER 
I don't think standing here going over hypotheticals is gonna get us anywhere.

FAUNA 
True.

SKYLA
So what do we do now?

EPHINY 
We spread out again and keep looking. There has to be some kind of clue that we're overlooking that could help us find them.

The rest of the group agreed as they split up again and returned to their search. Meanwhile as they searched Xena had decided that she was done speaking to Kai who still held her captive. Instead she put her focus on escaping and getting to Gabrielle before Valassca could do anything. She just hoped that she wasn't already too late.

KAI 
What's wrong Xena, nothing to say?

Xena simply ignored her.

KAI 
Fine with me. I'm just here to wait for the news of Gabrielle's death and watch you fall apart afterwards.

Kai sat down on a rock as she looked up at the sky for a moment to gage the time.

KAI 
Probably won't be too much longer. Though I'm sure Valassca probably wants to make Gabrielle suffer a bit first. 

Kai chuckled a sickening laugh.

KAI 
Boy I thought I hated you, but the level of animosity that woman has for Gabrielle is down right terrifying. I honesrly can't believe that she managed to keep it hidden all this time.

Xena growled to herself.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) I can't believe I never saw it. I knew that Valassca didn't really 
like Gabrielle. But I never thought that she'd do something like this. I should've paid closer attention. Especially after the attacks started. Damn it! I have to get out of here and find them.

Kai saw the scowl on Xena's face as she lowered her head and just sat there.

KAI 
(Mocking tone) Oh no it looks like Xena's finally given up.

Again Xena said nothing. Kai scowled.

KAI 
You know it's not as fun if you're not gonna play along.

Xena still remained silent. Not responding in any way to what Kai was saying.

KAI
So the silent treatment. What are you 6?

Kai was becoming agitated at Xena's lack of response. After all the whole point of this was to get a reaction from her.

KAI 
Okay Xena. How about I start going over what Valassca said she was planning on doing to Gabrielle?

Xena glared at Kai and the Amazon smiled.

KAI
Ah I should've figured that would get ya. Let's see first she said she's gonna take her somewhere secluded. Then she's probably gonna start by slapping her around a little. Though I'm not sure if she plans on beating Gabrielle to death or if she has other things in mind.

Kai continued to go over Valassca's plan as she walked up to Xena. 

KAI 
(Mocking tone) So any thoughts on the plan Xena? After all you're the master strategist around here.

Xena looked at her as Kai stopped right at her feet.

XENA 
Actually yes. 

KAI 
(Mocking tone) Oh this should be good. Tell me what would the great Xena do?

XENA 
Well for starters you should never tie your captives hands behind their back because then you can't see what they're doing.

Before Kai had time to react,, Xena quickly reached out and grabbed Kai, pulling her in with one hand as she threw a punch with the other. The hit stunned Kai as she backed off. But not before Xena swiped the dagger she had and quickly cut the rope tied around her ankles. As Kai recovered from the surprise punch she saw Xena stand..

KAI 
(Angry tone) How the fuck did you get free?

XENA 
Simple I just rubbed the rope against the bark of the tree until it was weak enough for me to snap. Like I said tying someone's hands behind their back is not a smart move.

Kai sneered as she drew her daggers.

KAI
You might've gotten free, but you're still not going anywhere. So I guess I get to settle this now then.

XENA 
I don't have time for your childish vendetta Kai I'm leaving to find Gabrielle.

KAI 
You don't seriously think I'm just gonna let you walk away Xena?

XENA 
You don't seriously think you can stop me? I've beaten you before remember?

Kai scowled at the embarrassing memory.

KAI 
Oh I remember. But unlike before this isn't a friendly sparing match. Plus now I'm serious and I'm much more familiar with your tactics.

Kai spun her dagger in her hands as she began to circle Xena.

KAI 
So I'm pretty confident that I can take you now.

Xena knew that she didn't have time to waste, she had to find Gabrielle and Valassca. But she knew Kai wasn't going to make getting away easy. Xena just hoped Gabrielle was still okay. With that thought Kai lunged at Xena from behind. Xena dodged as Kai rolled out of Xena's reach so she couldn't retaliate as she stayed crouched and turned to face Xena holding her dagger ready. Xena also stood ready as she watched Kai's movements. Then Kai quickly jumped up and ran to the side as she threw her dagger. Xena dodged as Kai lept towards her and swung. Xena caught Kai's arm, but the Amazon had clearly anticipated the move as she swung her foot out and kicked the dagger she thew up and into Xena's leg. 

XENA 
Gah!

Xena shoved Kai away. The Amazon rolled back and stood there with a smirk as she watched Xena pull the dagger from her leg and tossed it aside. Xena sneered as she clutched the dagger she had taken.

KAI 
There you go Xena. I decided to be nice and give you a weapon. After all I wouldn't want to taint my victory over you by people saying that it wasn't a fair fight.

XENA 
Too bad since it seems like the only way you can get the upper hand against me is through cheap tactics.

Kai scowled.

KAI 
(Angry tone) We'll just see about that Xena.

Meanwhile a painful gasp was let out as Valassca kicked Gabrielle who was still tied up and unable to defend herself. She groaned as she managed to sit up. Her hands and feet being bound together made it virtually impossible for Gabrielle to defend herself or get away.

VALASSCA 
Had enough yet?

Gabrielle looked at Valassca.

GABRIELLE 
(Bitter tone) Does it really matter what I say? You're just planning on killing me anyway.

VALASSCA 
True. 

GABRIELLE 
(Bitter tone) So why not just get it over with then?

VALASSCA 
Because I'm waiting for you to finally do the right thing and give me your rank as queen.

GABRIELLE 
(Bitter tone) Then you can keep waiting Valassca. Because after all this you'll really never be queen. And even if you kill me I already have a successor.

VALASSCA 
Ah yes, Ephiny. You see Gabrielle you fail to realize a few things here. I've planned 
for you being too dumb and stubborn to see reason. I'm fully prepared to get rid of her too. Along with anyone else who dares to stand in my way.

The feeling of dread and horror washed over Gabrielle as she finally began to realize just how truly mad and power hungry Valassca actually was. And that in reality she really didn't know Valassca at all. Now Gabrielle know for certain that Valassca couldn't be trusted to be queen. Who was to say what she would do with that kind of power.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) You've gone completely insane. I'll never give you my right as queen. And once word of this spreads no one else will accept you as queen either.

VALASSCA 
What makes you think people will know about this. As far as they'll know you and Xena will just be victims of an unfortunate accident.

GABRIELLE 
The people here are already aware of the attempts on my life. You made it kinda hard to ignore. 

VALASSCA 
Yes but no one will know who's responsible. All I have to do is play the part of the mourning friend grieving the loss of her queen and then take your place.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Damn you Valassca. You won't get away with this.

VALASSCA
Too bad you won't be around to find out.

Valassca slapped Gabrielle again. A defensless Gabrielle yelled as Valassca began beating her ruthlessly. Valassca punched, kicked and stomped her as Gabrielle did her best to curl up to protect herself but being tied wasn't very successful at shielding against Valassca's blows. Before long Gabrielle was laying on the ground a bloody mess as Valassca stood over her.

VALASSCA 
So do you wanna give me what's mine yet?

Gabrielle spit some blood out of her mouth as she glared up at Valassca.

GABRIELLE 
My answers the same as it was before. You will NEVER be queen.

Valassca scowled.

VALASSCA 
(Angry tone) Give up your title of queen or I WILL kill you.

Gabrielle winced in pain as Valassca grabbed a handful of hair, forcing her to look at her.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) I'm not afraid of you. I've faced far worse with Xena.

Valassca punched Gabrielle causing her to fall to the floor. Gabrielle looked up as layed there while Valassca stood over her.

VALASSCA 
Well too bad this time Xena's not here to save you.

The air was filled with Gabrielle's cries of pain as Valassca continued to beat her. And with no one else around, it began to seem as though Valassca would get what she wanted after all. Taking the role of amazon queen by force and at the expense of Gabrielle's life.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Pt.13

Kai and Xena stood across from each other. Xena had to get to Gabrielle, but Kai was determined to stop her and allow Valassca exact her vengeance. Kai lunged at Xena who dodged and threw her elbow back into Kai's stomach. Then she followed up with an uppercut tothe Amazon's chin. Kai staggered back and shook off the hit before going back in to attack. Kai ran back in and threw a punch, Xena caught her fist and threw her own punch which Kai caught with her free hand. Kai smirked as she used her foot to sweep Xena's legs from under her. Xena fell to her back but didn't let go of Kai. Instead she used the momentum to pull Kai down as well. As Kai was pulled forward, Xena planted her feet in the Amazon's midsection and flipped her overhead and to her back on the ground as Xena let go of her fist. With Xena and Kai down, both women kicked back up to a standing position. Without looking first, Kai swung behind her as she spun to face Xena who while even with her back still facing Kai, was able to sense that incoming strike and ducked out of the way. Then while still crouching kicked out her leg behind her hitting Kai in her midsection. Xena stood and turned to face Kai who was catching her breath as she glared angerly at her.

XENA 
Just stop this now Kai, you can't win.

KAI 
(Angry tone) Fuck you Xena! You think you're so damn great.

XENA 
No, I don't. 

KAI 
(Angry tone) Well you sure act like it. And now I'm gonna prove to everyone else here that you're nothing but a washed up warlord who finally got what she deserved.

Kai grabbed her dagger and lunged for Xena. Xena caught her wrist but as she did Kai dropped the dagger into her other hand and slashed at her, cutting into Xena's side. Xena yelled in pain and anger as she headbutted the Amazon. Kai backed off as Xena held her side.

KAI 
(Angry tone) That was a cheap move!

XENA 
So is coming after an innocent person over a vendetta that has nothing to do with them. But that didn't stop you from going after Gabrielle did it?

KAI
(Angry tone) Don't you lecture me bitch.

Kai threw her dagger at Xena who caught it effortlessly and threw it back. Kai dodged and came right at Xena with a series of punches and kicks. Xena blocked or parried each strike as she threw out her own attacks. While Kai attempted to block the blows she was just out matched when it came to fighting Xena. She was beginning to lose ground which only infuriated her further. Kai yelled as she rolled forward to where a dagger she had thrown landed and swung at Xena who was behind her. But anticipating the move Xena jumped back as Kai stood and looked at the blade.

KAI 
Fine if I can't bet you in hand to hand let's see how well you do blocking a blade.

Xena said nothing as Kai turned the weapon blade side down and rushed at her. Kai swung and stabbed at Xena who moved out of the way of each strike. Xena waited for an opening and then grabbed Kai's wrist and twisted it. Kai yelled in pain as she felt the bones in her wrist snap. Causing her to drop her dagger. Xena then followed up with an elbow to her face and dropped Kai to the ground. The Amazon wiped the blood from her mouth with her uninjured hand as she saw Xena looking down at her.

KAI 
(Angry tone) Well what are you standing there for? Come on nows your chanse to kill another Amazon.

Xena said nothing as she spotted where Kai had put her weapons and walked over to get them.

KAI 
(Angry tone) Don't you ignore me Xena!

Kai got up and rushed at Xena who drew her sword and turned as she swung her blade. Xena cut into Kai's side and the Amazon fell. As Kai hit the ground Xena heard some familiar voices coming her way and looked to see Skyla, Clover, Fauna Iris, Amarice and Ephiny. As the six women reached her they slowed down when they saw Kai on the ground and Xena with a bloody sword in her hand.

FAUNA 
Kai!

IRIS 
What happened?

Fauna and Iris rushed to their friend as Clover, Skyla, Amarice and Ephiny looked between Xena and Kai noticing both of their conditions.

CLOVER 
What happened here Xena?

XENA 
It turns out Kai was one of the major players in the plot to kill Gabrielle.

Ephiny angerly glared at Kai.

EPHINY 
(Angry tone) What?!

Skyla looked at her long time friend in disbelief. 

SKYLA 
Kai, please tell us that's not true 

Kai winced in pain as she looked at Xena.

KAI 
(Angry tone) Do you know what she's done?

Fauna, Clover, Iris and Skyla shrugged as Fauna looked at Xena.

FAUNA 
What's she talking about? 

XENA 
She found out some of my past crimes and wanted revenge.

FAUNA
Past crimes?

Xena lowered her eyes sadly as Clover, Skyla, Fauna and Iris wondered what was going on. Knowing alot of Xena's past, Ephiny decided to step in.

EPHINY 
I think this might be a conversation better saved for later. Right now we still need to find Gabrielle and Valassca.

Xena grabbed Kai by her shirt.

XENA
Alright you must know so where did Valassca take Gabrielle?

KAI 
(Angry tone) Like I'd tell you.

EPHINY 
Valassca? She's involved in this?

XENA 
Not only is she involved, it turns out she's the ring leader behind it all. I don't have time to explain everything but Valassca wants Gabrielle dead so she can take over as queen. And Kai volunteered along with other's to help take Gabrielle out.

EPHINY 
Damn it. I knew that she didn't like Gabrielle much but I never thought Valassca would kill her just because she was queen.

XENA 
No one did.

Xena returned her attention to Kai and grabbed the Amazon by her top.

XENA 
(Angry tone) I'm giving you one more chance to tell me where they are or else.

Kai gave Xena a defiant smirk.

KAI 
Or else what? 

Xena scowled as she quickly jabbed two fingers into Kai's neck. The woman immediately began to struggle.

XENA 
I just cut off the flow of blood to your brain. If it's not undone soon you'll be dead. Now tell me where Valassca has Gabrielle and I'll release you.

Kai struggled against the hold but everyone else could see that she was fighting a losing battle.

IRIS 
If you know where they are just tell us Kai. Please.

FAUNA 
Xena won't actually let Kai die will she?

EPHINY 
Over the time I've known her I've learned that Xena's willing to do pretty much anything when it comes to Gabrielle.

CLOVER 
Damn it Kai just tell her!

Finally unable to stand it any longer Kai broke.

KAI 
Fine! They're in the old abandoned storage hut.

XENA 
Where's that?

FAUNA
We know what building she's talking about.

XENA 
Fine.

Xena jabbed Kai's neck again and released the hold. Kai gasped as she was freed. She watched as Xena immediately began to leave and managed to get to her feet. She sneered at Xena hurrying away.

KAI 
(Angry tone) Someone like you has no right to walk around free and enjoy any kind of happy life.

Xena stopped for a moment as she looked back at Kai.

XENA 
I know. And Gabrielle doesn't deserve to be targeted for something she had nothing to do with.

Xena left with Ephiny and Amarice following close behind. Meanwhile Iris, Fauna, Clover and Skyla looked at Kai.

SKYLA 
Kai tell us please why did you get involved in this. What did Xena do to upset you so much?

Fauna reached out to try and help her friend but Kai just pushed her away.

KAI 
(Angry tone) Forget it.

Kai glared in the direction Xena had gone and slowly walked off in the opposite direction.

FAUNA 
Wait Kai where are you going? You're hurt and need medical attention.

Though she tried to fight it at first, Kai was too tired and injured to really resist Fauna and Clover helping her to the village healers. As they walked off Skyla and Fauna looked sadly at their friend wondering how things could've come to this. Figuring Xena, Ephiny and Amarice could handle stopping Valassca and saving Gabrielle, they decided to try to help find and deal with any of other rebels that might be around.

AMARICE 
I still can't believe Valassca has been trying to kill Gabrielle.

Xena, Ephiny and Amarice raced towards the abandoned building that Kai told them Valassca was keeping Gabrielle.

XENA 
The lust for power can drive a person to do some pretty despicable things. Trust me, I'd know.

AMARICE 
True, but it's not like Valassca's you. We don't know what she's gonna do.

EPHINY
But that's exactly makes this so dangerous. Up until today we had no clue that Valassca had this side to her. 

XENA 
Which is why once we get there I want you two to wait outside.

AMARICE
Why? If we all go in together we can take Valassca easily.

XENA 
No, if we all go in Valassca might feel cornered and kill Gabrielle on the spot... I just hope she hasn't already.

EPHINY
We'll get there in time Xena and stop Valassca.

XENA 
I hope so Ephiny. I really do.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Pt.14

Gabrielle coughed as she spit some blood from her mouth onto the floor that she was laying on. Still tied up and with no one else but Valassca around, Gabrielle knew that if she didn't think of something quick, Valassca would kill her. But she knew that she couldn't give in and hand over her role of queen either.

VALASSCA 
You just say when you've had enough and this will stop Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Why so you just kill me afterwards anyway?

Valassca crouched down in front of where Gabrielle layed.

VALASSCA 
How about we make a deal. You give me what I want and I'll make your death quick and relatively painless.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) So you get to be queen and I get to die. Thanks but I think I'll pass.

Valassca scowled as she stood up and put her boot on Gabrielle's head. Grinding her heal into Gabrielle's temple.

VALASSCA 
(Angry tone) You know you're way too stubborn for your own damn good.

Gabrielle gritted her teeth to not give Valassca the satisfaction of hearing her in pain 

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) And you're nothing but a coward.

Valassca stopped grinding her boot against Gabrielle's head and looked down at her.

VALASSCA 
Me, a coward? You've picked an awfully odd time to start making jokes.

GABRIELLE 
That's because I'm serious.

Valassca got a somewhat amused smile on her face as she took her foot off Gabrielle.

VALASSCA
And how may I ask, am I a coward?

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) How 'bout for starters you didn't even bother trying to actually challenge me for the throne.

VALASSCA 
Because I already know that Xena would end up fighting in your place. 

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Clearly you know that you can't beat Xena. Gah!

Valassca ground her heel into Gabrielle's head again.

VALASSCA 
(Angry tone) I see no reason to fight her when she has nothing to do with it. Plus I've always hated that rule that allows the current queen to use a champion to fight in her place. A real queen shouldn't need someone to fight her battles for her. And you call me the coward.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) You didn't even have the guts to confront me face to face. Instead you built up a little group then you and them tried to assassinate me from the shadows. So why don't you try telling me again how you're not afraid of me.

VALASSCA 
(Irritated tone) You can't be serious.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) You pretended to be my friend and attacked me while my back was turned. Then once I lost consciousness you tied me up. That sounds a lot like the actions of a coward to me.

Valassca scowled.

VALASSCA 
(Angry tone) Okay Gabrielle you wanna fight me fine. But just remember, you asked for this.

Valassca pulled out a dagger and cut through the rope that tied Gabrielle's hands and feet together. She then left the dagger on the floor next to Gabrielle as she stood up and backed up slightly. Valassca knew that Gabrielle wasn't nearly as skilled of a fighter as she was and that Gabrielle didn't like to kill. So the crazed amazon wasn't the least bit threatened by the thought of Gabrielle beating her. Gabrielle wiped the blood from her mouth as she slowly reached for the dagger and stood up. Valassca gave Gabrielle an evil grin as she didn't even bother drawing a weapon. Figuring she could easily disarm or take Gabrielle out with her superior fighting abilities.

VALASSCA 
Go ahead Gabrielle, make your move.

GABRIELLE 
Fine.

Gabrielle threw the dagger which Valassca effortlessly avoided as she continued to smirk and looked back at the weapon that had missed her.

VALASSCA 
Wow you really are useless. That has to be one of the dumbest moves you...

Valassca stopped mid sentence when she looked back and saw Gabrielle had took off running. 

VALASSCA 
(Talking to herself angerly) I can not believe I fell for that.

Valassca snatched up the dagger and ran after Gabrielle. Determined to not let the opportunity to finally become queen slip from her grasp.

VALASSCA 
You can't escape me Gabrielle!

Gabrielle raced through the outskirts of the village hoping to find someone to help her. As she ran, Gabrielle bumped into a couple of the Amazon villagers.

GABRIELLE 
Oh thank the gods I ran into you. Valassca's gone crazy. She kidnapped and wants to kill me so she can take over as queen.

The women looked at each other for a moment then back towards Gabrielle.

AMAZON 
Don't worry we've got her.

GABRIELLE
Oh good I honesrly don't know what I was gonna do and, hey what are you doing?

The two Amazon's grabbed Gabrielle. She tried to pull away when she heard Valassca's voice behind her.

VALASSCA 
Well done.

REBEL AMAZON
Anything for our true queen.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Damn I ran right into some of Valassca's allies. I really can't trust pretty much anybody.

Gabrielle quickly stomped on one rebel amazons foot. On instint the woman let go. Then with her one free hand Gabrielle punched the other Amazon that still held her as that one released Gabrielle as well. Then before either could recover Gabrielle quickly ran as Valassca reached the two other Amazon's.

VALASSCA 
(Angry tone) Worthless, both of you. Now go round up the other's and get Gabrielle and bring her to me! And make sure she's alive. If anyone's killing that poor excuse for an Amazon it's me.

REBEL AMAZON 
Yes my queen.

The rebel amazons Valassca had enlisted spread out to set the rest of their allies into action and capture Gabrielle. Valassca watched as they ran off.

VALASSCA 
You can run, but you can't hide Gabrielle. I WILL be queen.

Xena let out a frustrated growl as she kicked open a door. Scaring the living daylights out of the women inside the house.

XENA
Gabrielle!! Valassca!!

Xena looked around and walked inside as the women occupying the house looked at her with a combination of confusion and fear. Amarice followed Xena inside and looked at the owners trying to smooth over the sudden intrusion. 

AMARICE 
Sorry we're kinda looking for someone and Xena's really impatient. You haven't seen the queen around have you?

The women shook their heads no as Xena came back from searching the other rooms in the small house.

XENA 
They're not here let's go.

Xena stormed passed Amarice and out of the house as she continued her search. Amarice looked back at the women.

AMARICE 
Gotta go. Sorry again. I'll send someone to fix your front door.

Amarice left, leaving the women of the house completely baffled as to what just happened. Back outside Xena was already heading for the next building when Clover came running over to her.

CLOVER 
Xena I just heard that Gabrielle's been spotted. 

XENA 
Where?

CLOVER 
This way.

Xena and Amarice followed Clover. Along the way Ephiny and Skyla met up with them them and followed. As they ran through the village Xena finally spotted Gabrielle along with the rebel amazons chasing after her.

XENA 
Gabrielle!

Xena and the others followed the group as Xena grabbed her chakrum and sent it flying. It ricochet off a building, a cart and a couple of barrels before flying in front of the Amazons chasing Gabrielle. Causing them to stop dead in their tracks knowing who the weapon they had just seen belonged to. Then they heard a familiar war cry as they turned to see Xena standing aways behind them as she caught her chakrum when it came back. Gabrielle, who had also heard the sound stopped running as she turned around relieved with the sight she saw.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

The rebel amazons looked at Xena, then at Gabrielle, then each other.

REBEL AMAZON 
There's only three of 'em. Even if one of them is Xena. We can't let Gabrielle escape.

The other rebels agreed as one of them whistled and before Gabrielle, Xena and their allies knew it there were dozens of Amazons surrounding them from all sides. 

REBEL AMAZON 
Remember our true leader, queen Valassca wants us to leave Gabrielle for her. Anyone else who tries to stop us dies!

With that the rebel amazons charged Xena, Ephiny and Amarice. Nor long after the fighting began, the chaos brought Skyla, Clover, Fauna and Iris to the scene.

FAUNA 
What's happening?

AMARICE 
They're Valassca's supporters, she sent them out to stop us from getting to Gabrielle.

Without need of any further explanation Clover, Skyla, Iris and Fauna joined in the fight. Xena yelled as she kicked a rebel amazon away from her and threw her elbow back into another woman's face who was attempting to attack her from behind. Following the war, Xena had hoped that would be the last time she would have to fight against amazons. And she could only imagine how terrible the whole situation was for Gabrielle. But thanks to Valassca's desire for power, now the very village that Gabrielle and Xena had come to call home was beginning torn apart from within. Xena wondered just what Valassca had said to get so many to join her cause. But she knew that the time to get answers would have to come later. For now Valassca and the rest of her rebel amazons needed to be stopped. Xena yelled as she blocked an incoming attack and pushed the rebel back as another came at her. A little ways off Gabrielle ducked out of the way of a rebels punch. She kicked her shin and tripped her to the ground. Still pretty hurt from the beating Valassca had given her Gabrielle wasn't really in the condition to fight. She was lucky she was able to escape from Valassca when she did. She kept her eyes on the fighting as she slowly tried to keep out of harms way. A task she unfortunately soon found to be impossible when she was grabbed from behind and felt a hand on her throat.

VALASSCA 
(Angry tone) I told you that you couldn't escape me you little bitch.

Xena dropped another rebel amazon when she looked over to see Valassca had Gabrielle in her grasp again.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Valassca! 

Valassca quickly grabbed a dagger and put it to Gabrielle's neck.

VALASSCA 
You take one step closer and Gabrielle pays.

XENA 
You want her dead anyway so why wait?

VALASSCA
I'm not a fool Xena. If I kill her here and now, you'll just kill me right after. And don't even think of trying your chakrum or I will slit her that before it reaches me.

Xena scowled as she looked around to try and see how she could get Gabrielle from Valassca safely.

XENA 
 So you're not gonna kill her now,

VALASSCA
Not unless you do something foolish. Now I'm leaving this village and she's coming with me.

Valassca backed away with Gabrielle as her supporters formed a defensive shield between her and Xena. She then turned and held the dagger to Gabrielle's back.

VALASSCA 
Start moving.

Gabrielle did as she was told until she could figure out how to get away. Once Valassca and Gabrielle turned a corner, Xena pretended to surrender for a moment. Then as soon she saw the rebel amazons slightly drop their guard she let out her battle cry as she jumped and flipped over the group and landed behind them. The rebels looked at her and were about to go after Xena when they heard voices behind them.

EPHINY 
You go after Gabrielle Xena.

Xena looked to see Ephiny. Along with Skyla and Clover, who cracked her knuckles in an intimidating gesture, 

CLOVER 
You screw with our friends and we get mad.

SKYLA
Especially if one of those friends also happens to be our queen.

Xena gave the trio a quick nod to thank them and ran after Valassca who had Gabrielle. The rebels tried to go after Xena, but were unable to pursue her with Ephiny, Skyla and Clover standing against them. Xena hastily followed Valassca. As she tried to escape Valassca headed for the waterfall. Clearly hoping to escape the village. But Xena was not going to let her escape. Not after trying to murder Gabrielle multiple times.

VALASSCA 
You won't stop me Xena. Gabrielle dies and I'll take what she stole from me.

XENA 
You won't get away with this Valassca.

VALASSCA 
I beg to differ. And I'll take out you and anyone else along with Gabrielle who tries to stand in my way.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Pt.15

Valassca held the beaten Gabrielle with a dagger to her side as she hurried her along as she tried to escape the village and Xena. Gabrielle knew if she resisted Valassca wouldn't hesitate to kill her and make a mad dash for the village entrance. Xena was close behind but couldn't make her move without running the risk of Gabrielle being killed. Instead she maintained a little distance as she kept an eye out for any opening to take Valassca out. Or at least get Gabrielle away from her. 

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) What's the plan now? You know Xena's not gonna just let you leave.

VALASSCA 
(Angry tone) Be quiet.

 Valassca took Gabrielle to the village entrance but stopped short when she realized that the guards were loyal to Gabrielle. Seeing Gabrielle in obvious trouble the guards went into action.

VILLAGE GUARD 1
Stop right there.

VILLAGE GUARD 2
You're not taking the queen anywhere.

Valassca scowled as she pulled Gabrielle back to her and held the dagger to Gabrielle's neck.

VALASSCA 
Make one wrong move and she dies. Now let us through.

Seeing the condition Gabrielle was in it was clear that Valassca's threats were to be taken seriously. So the guards kept their distance as they tried to figure out what to do. 

VALASSCA 
Now move out of the way and open the exit. We're leaving.

VILLAGE GUARD 1
We can't do that. We won't let you take queen Gabrielle anywhere against her will.

VALASSCA
(Angry tone) I said let us out, or she dies.

Valassca pressed the blade harder against Gabrielle's throat. The guards quickly drew their swords.

VILLAGE GUARD 2
We won't allow you to harm the queen any further.

Valassca sneered as she heard Xena's voice and looked back to see Xena coming into sight as she ran out from between some buildings and looked around for a moment before spotting her and Gabrielle.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Valassca!

Xena ran straight towards them as Valassca realized getting out of the village through the front wasn't going to work. She urged Gabrielle to move as she returned to running. She would have to find another way out. If there was one. The guards watched as Xena ran by them as she followed Valassca with Gabrielle. They would've gone too, but as the village guards they couldn't leave their post unattended. As much as they wanted to. Especially not wanting to give any rebels a chance to escape. Word had spread soon after it was confirmed that Gabrielle was being targeted. So pretty much the whole village was aware of at least the basics of what was going on. Xena ran after Valassca and Gabrielle and saw Valassca drag Gabrielle around a corner. When Xena turned the same corner she was stopped by a number of Valassca's rebel amazons. She saw Valassca dragging Gabrielle along up a head as she gave orders to hold Xena off. Then she and Gabrielle disappeared behind a building leaving Xena with the rebels. They were standing far enough away so Xena couldn't just jump over them like she had done before. She held her sword ready as she sized up her opponent's.

XENA 
I don't have time for this. Step aside or else.

The only response from the rebels was to draw their weapons showing Xena that she was going to have to fight her way through them. With her battle cry ringing out Xena ran at the rebel amazons and began fighting them off. Meanwhile Valassca dragged Gabrielle along as she frantically searched for a way out. Knowing that her rebels weren't going to slow Xena down for long. With no other exits to be found, Valassca found herself at a dead end. She stood there with her dagger pressed against Gabrielle's neck as she looked around trying to figure out where to go. She looked back and saw Xena coming her way.

VALASSCA 
Already?! Worthless all of them.

Valassca quickly thought of anything that might help her escape. Then she saw the waterfall within the village. Figuring there must be a way out up there she pushed Gabrielle towards the cliffs and made her climb as Valassca followed.

VALASSCA 
(Angry tone) Climb faster or I'll throw you off.

Gabrielle winced in pain as she climbed. Xena reached the waterfall and was ready to throw her chakrum but Valassca looked down, saw her and grabbed Gabrielle's ankle.

VALASSCA 
Go ahead Xena throw it. But if I fall, I'm taking Gabrielle with me.

With Valassca momentarily distracted, Gabrielle tried to kick her off but Valassca tugging her leg almost causing her to loose her grip on the rock she was holding.

VALASSCA 
And you do anything stupid like that again and you're gone. Now keep climbing.

Gabrielle looked down seeing how far up they were. She knew that a fall from that height would be deadly with the rocks waiting below. Valassca forced Gabrielle to continue upwards as she followed. Meanwhile lower Xena had already begun scaling the cliff after them. The climb was treacherous as the water from the flowing falls splashed on the rocks making it difficult to get a ferm grip. Finally Gabrielle pulled herself up over a large ledge and crawled a little away from the ledge as she winced and looked back to see Valassca pulling herself up. As Valassca stood she looked around.

VALASSCA 
(Angry tone) No! Damn it!

XENA 
What's wrong Valassca.

Valassca turned around as Xena reached the ledge and pulled herself up. Xena stood as she looked at Valassca and Gabrielle.

XENA
It's over, you've got nowhere left to run.

Valassca quickly grabbed Gabrielle again.

VALASSCA 
I won't have to run, because you're going to let me walk away 

XENA 
Am I?

VALASSCA
If you value Gabrielle's life you will.

XENA 
And if you value your life you'll let her go and surrender, now.

Valassca put her dagger to Gabrielle's neck again.

VALASSCA 
I don't think so Xena. I know that once I don't have Gabrielle I'm as good as dead. Surrender means nothing. I tried to kill their fraud of a queen. I'll be changed with treason and executed. That is if you don't kill me first. No, Gabrielle dies today and I take my place as queen.

XENA 
Then what? You don't actually think that people will follow you after this do you?

VALASSCA 
They'll have no choice. Unlike Gabrielle, I won't be so lax in my judgment of those around me. So whither they like it or not, eventually everyone will learn to respect and follow me or face the consequences.

XENA
That sounds more like the mark of a tyrant than a good ruler.

VALASSCA 
Maybe to you. But whither you believe me or not I do care about my people.

XENA 
Apparently unless they have something you want. Then it doesn't matter who they are.

Gabrielle struggled in Valassca's grasp. Valassca pressed her dagger harder causing the blade to knick Gabrielle's skin and draw a little blood. Gabrielle stopped struggling when she felt the dagger cut into her a little.

VALASSCA 
You know it seems fitting that this ends where Gabrielle was supposed to die originally. Maybe I can just finish this how it started.

Valassca slowly circled around Xena as she moved towards the edge of the waterfall with Gabrielle. Xena pulled out her chakrum and turned to follow Valassca's movements.

XENA
I won't give you the chance.

VALASSCA 
It would seem we're at an impasse Xena. It looks like one way or another this all ends here. 

TO BE CONTINUED...

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy