"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series. 

   Tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com   

SCROLL 1: THE NEW ORDER  

SUMMARY:
When Xena and Gabrielle help a group of amazons fleeing from slavers, they're invited to the women's village. Where they soon learn that their new friends live in a secluded, secret village that has been hidden from the outside world for centuries. But when the slavers later capture some of the women, Xena and Gabrielle soon learn the serious danger of what might happen if the wrong people in outside world were to ever learn the secrets that the hidden land holds. With fears over her safety, Gabrielle struggles to be seen as someone capable of not only taking care of herself but her people as well. It soon falls on Xena, Gabrielle and their allies to protect the village and it's occupants from a threat where the consequences of their failure could drastically change the balance of the whole world.

 

(NOTE: The word "Order" can be used as another term for kingdom)

INTRO QUOTE:
"Don't search for a princess that needs saving. Search for a queen willing to fight by your side." _________________________________________

A breeze blew through the lush, green meadow as a piece of parchment fluttered along in the wind.

GABRIELLE 
Oh no you don't.

Gabrielle jumped at the paper in an effort to catch it before it blew away. She missed and tripped over a small rock, landing face down in the grass. Gabrielle made an annoyed groan as she looked up at the run away scroll.

GABRIELLE 
(Annoyed tone) Well there goes a days work. Great, just great.

Gabrielle sighed as looked down and began idlely picking at the grass in frustration. The paper flew past a tree where its journey came to an abrupt end. Gabrielle saw a shadow appear over her and looked up. 

GABRIELLE 
Oh you're back.

XENA 
Lose something?

Xena held up the runaway paper. Gabrielle smiled as she stood up and took the scroll.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks.

Gabrielle began rolling up the paper to put it away.

XENA 
What were you writing?

GABRIELLE 
Nothing really. I thought maybe I'd give writing fiction a try. It's not really coming out that well though.

XENA 
I'll see about that. 

Xena plucked the scroll from Gabrielle's hand and opened it.

GABRIELLE 
Hey give that back, it's not done.

Xena ignored her as she turned away, blocking Gabrielle from taking the paper back as she began reading it. Gabrielle reached around from behind Xena to try and take the scroll. Xena easily caught her hand and held it trapped under her arm.

GABRIELLE 
Hey!

Gabrielle then tried to grab the scroll with her other hand. But that too ended in failure as Xena held her wrist with one hand and kept reading while holding the scroll in the hand that had Gabrielle's hand trapped under her arm. Gabrielle sighed in defeat as she leaned her forehead against Xena's back. They stood that way for a moment as Xena finished reading. She let go of Gabrielle as she gave back the paper.

XENA 
I don't see the problem.

GABRIELLE 
I didn't say there was necessarily s a problem, I said it wasn't done.

XENA 
You also said it wasn't coming out that great.

Gabrielle rolled up the scroll.

GABRIELLE 
Okay fine I just thought I'd try something different.

XENA 
You should really have more confidence you know.

Gabrielle walked over to Argo and put the scroll in her bag.

GABRIELLE 
It's not that I don't feel confident. It's just that sometimes trying new things can be challenging.

Xena walked over to her.

XENA 
Since when are you against trying something new?

GABRIELLE 
I'm not. 

Gabrielle sighed.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know. Maybe I'll try again later.

Xena smiled as she wrapped her arms around Gabrielle and kissed the top of her head.

XENA 
That's my girl.

Gabrielle smiled as she leaned into Xena. They stood there just enjoying being close for a bit. The pleasant moment was unfortunately soon interrupted by screams in the distance. Gabrielle pulled back as the two looked over and saw people being chased. Not needing to discuss anything Xena and Gabrielle got on Argo and quickly rode towards the commotion. As they got closer they noticed that the people being chased were a group of women.

GABRIELLE 
Xena the way those women are dressed. 

XENA 
Amazons.

Once they got close, Xena vaulted off the mare, flipped in midair and landed between the women and the armed men that were after them. She drew her sword and stood ready for a fight.

XENA 
What seems to be the problem here.

One of the men stepped forward as he gripped the handle of the sword on his side. He looked Xena up and down.

MAN 
You don't look like an Amazon.

XENA 
That's because I'm not.

At this point Gabrielle had gotten down from Argo and made her way to the women.

GABRIELLE 
You okay?

A number of them nodded.

GABRIELLE 
Don't worry we'll take care of these guys.

Gabrielle stood near Xena as she held her staff.

MAN 
I suppose I could take two more. I can always just say that you're Amazon's.

The man looked from Xena to Gabrielle.

MAN 
Well at least one of you anyway.

Gabrielle huffed at the obvious insult hurled her way.

GABRIELLE 
Hey I'll have you know that I'm technically an Amazon queen.

The man laughed at what he thought was a ridiculous lie. 

MAN
(Sarcasm) Right and I'm Aphrodite.

Gabrielle ignored his comment as Xena stepped forward.

XENA 
It's not like any of this matters to you anyway. Since you're not taking anyone anywhere.

MAN 
And I suppose you're going to stop me?

Xena gave a confident smirk.

XENA 
That's right.

The man motioned to the rest of the men with him.

MAN 
Get 'em.

A fight broke out. Xena, Gabrielle and some of the Amazon's fought against the men that had been chasing them. Xena blocked with her sword as a blade swung her way. She pushed her opponent back and drove her blade into the man's stomach. Xena shoved him off her sword as she continued to fight. Meanwhile Gabrielle smacked one of the men across the face with her staff. Then she drove the end into his stomach. When he bent forward from the hit, Gabrielle quickly brought the staff up into his chin and knocked him down. Gabrielle was so busy dealing with one of the men, that she didn't notice another one that came up behind her. Before she could do anything, Gabrielle was grabbed from behind.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Xena looked over and saw Gabrielle being held by one of the men with a knife against her throat. The man gave an evil smile.

MAN 
Drop your weapon or I'll paint the ground with her blood.

Xena watched as he pushed his blade tighter against Gabrielle's skin. 

MAN 
Now! Or do you not care about what happens to her.

He Grabbed a handful of Gabrielle's hair and yanked her head back further to show her neck more clearly. Gabrielle yelled from the pain. Xena stared him down for a moment. Seeing that he had every intention on following through with his threat, she tossed her sword on the ground in front of him.

MAN 
That's more like it.

XENA 
So what do you plan on doing with us?

The man kept his hold on Gabrielle as an insurance policy in case anyone decided to try and attack.

MAN 
Oh don't worry I'll be sure to find everyone here somewhere that fits them perfectly.

Xena looked at all the men there.

XENA 
So you're slavers.

MAN 
Slavery is such an ugly word. I prefer to think of it as servants without pay.

He laughed at his callous comment. Xena scowled as she looked at him.

MAN 
Now round all of them up.

The rest of the slavers began to move towards Xena and the Amazon's. As they came near her, Xena grabbed her chakrum and threw it at a nearby tree. It ricocheted off and struck the slaver who had Gabrielle in his arm. He yelled as he let her go. Gabrielle quickly drove her staff back into his stomach as she completely freed herself from his grasp and got out of his reach. Xena caught her chakrum as it came back to her and put it back on her hip. The slaver angerly sneered at Xena as he looked briefly looked at the cut on his arm.

MAN 
You'll pay for that.

XENA 
Will I?

He yelled as he drew his sword and ran at Xena. He swung, Xena ducked and rolled. She grabbed her sword that she tossed on the ground. She stood up just as the slaver was bringing down his weapon over her. Xena raised her sword and blocked the strike. She pushed his blade away and threw her elbow back into his face. Then she spun around with a kick and knocked him down. He was about to get up when he saw Xena's blade come in a stop right near his face. He glanced back to see Xena standing over him.

XENA 
Call off the rest of your men and I'll consider letting you live.

The slaver growled and called off the rest of the men. They retreated to behind him as Xena took her sword away from his face.

XENA 
Get up.

He stood and turned to face Xena.

MAN 
Why didn't you just kill me?

XENA 
Because I need you to take a message back to your boss.

MAN 
What makes you think I'm not the one in charge?

XENA 
Well for starters you're wearing the same exact armor as the rest of these scum. A leader tends to stand out from the people they lead. Plus I had you beat far too easily for you to be in charge of any fighter worth a damn.

The slaver stared angerly at Xena for a moment, then lowered his head in defeat. Confirming Xena's statement. 

MAN 
(Angry tone) What's the message?

XENA 
You tell that boss of yours that I'm coming for him. 

MAN 
And just who am I to say is this woman.

XENA 
Xena.

The slaver quickly looked up in shock. 

XENA 
I'll take it from your reaction that you know who I am.

The man nervously nodded having realized that he could've easily been dead if Xena wanted.

XENA 
Good. Now take the rest of these guys and get lost before I change my mind about letting you go.

The slaver scurried off with the rest of the group following. As Xena watched them leave, Gabrielle walked over to her.

GABRIELLE 
Why'd you let them go?

Xena turned to Gabrielle as she put her sword away.

XENA 
They're just low level henchmen. And I'd like to find out who's leading the operation.

GABRIELLE 
So you think they'll be back?

XENA 
I'm counting on it.

Xena and Gabrielle's conversation was interrupted when one of the women they saved stepped forward.

AMAZON WOMAN 
Um excuse me.

Xena and Gabrielle looked at the woman. She looked at Gabrielle.

AMAZON WOMAN 
My name's Skyla. Are, are you really the Amazon queen?

Gabrielle nodded slowly.

GABRIELLE 
Technically yes.

The Amazon who introduced herself as Skyla dropped to a knee and bowed her head. As did the rest of the group.

SKYLA 
My queen.

Gabrielle looked at the women bowing before her and leaned close to Xena.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) I hate it when they do that.

×××

Gabrielle looked down at the small group of Amazons who knelt before her, bowing their heads. Dispite being queen, Gabrielle had never been all that comfortable with these sorts of actions. 

GABRIELLE 
Hey now there's no need for you to bow down to me. Being a queen doesn't make me any better than anyone. So please stand up.

The Amazon Skyla was the one to speak up once again.

SKYLA 
But you are our queen. It wouldn't be right for us to not show you proper respect.

GABRIELLE 
Yes well I...

Gabrielle looked at Xena for a little help.

XENA 
I think what she means is that she prefers to take a more informal approach to being a ruler.

GABRIELLE 
Exactly.

Skyla looked up at Gabrielle.

SKYLA 
If that's what you wish. It will be done my queen.

The group of Amazons stood up.

GABRIELLE 
And could you possibly not refer to me as "my queen". Just Gabrielle is fine.

Skyla looked a little uncomfortable with the thought of referring to Gabrielle in such an informal manner. Xena noticed and thought of a comprises that might help everyone feel better.

XENA 
Maybe Queen Gabrielle would work best. This way you don't feel as though you're being disrespectful and it can feel a little less formal for Gabrielle at the same time.

SKYLA 
I suppose if that's what my qu... I mean queen Gabrielle would like better.

Gabrielle realized that she probably wasn't going to get out of being called queen completely. So she figured this was the best she was going to get.

GABRIELLE 
I guess I can work with that.

Xena smiled.

GABRIELLE 
So now that that's settled, I'm wondering if I could ask you something Skyla.

SKYLA 
Of course. What would like to know?

GABRIELLE 
I've seen many Amazons all over, which tribe are you from?

Skyla looked away slightly. Almost as if she didn't want to answer. Gabrielle and Xena thought it seemed a bit odd to act this way because of such a seemingly basic question. Gabrielle decided not to press the issue. Figuring that there must've been a reason for the mysterious behavior.

GABRIELLE 
You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

The young woman looked back at Gabrielle.

SKYLA 
Forgive me queen Gabrielle. It's not that I don't want to tell you, it's just that it's a bit complicated to explain. Plus with an um...

Skyla looked wearily at Xena.

SKYLA 
non Amazon present. I could get in a great deal of trouble for revealing such information.

Gabrielle smiled as she looked at Xena for a moment.

GABRIELLE 
Don't worry we understand. But trust me Xena's one of the Amazon people's biggest allies.

SKYLA 
So you trust her then?

GABRIELLE 
With my life.

SKYLA 
So is she like you're personal protector or something?

Gabrielle laughed a little.

GABRIELLE 
You could say that.

Convinced that Xena wasn't a threat, Skyla decided that she could tell them about where she and the others with her were from. Plus she wasn't very comfortable with the thought of turning down a request from her queen. After all she had been told by her elders her whole life that if she ever met the Amazon queen that she should do as she asked without question. She was taught that this was just simply part of what being a good Amazon meant. And the only one who should ever came before their queen was the Amazon's patron goddess Artemis. And Skyla, dispite being young, only 16, was a very loyal girl. So she took the matter seriously. After thinking for a moment, Skyla smiled.

SKYLA 
I suppose if you trust her, I'll trust your judgment.

Skyla looked at Xena and nodded slightly, greeting her.

SKYLA 
Xena, was it? Nice to meet you.

XENA 
Like wise.

Skyla smiled at the two.

SKYLA 
I suppose I could take you there if you'd like.

Gabrielle looked at Xena and smiled. Xena knew right away that Gabrielle wanted to see this secret Amazon village. She knew that Gabrielle had always taken her role as an Amazon seriously. Gabrielle loved the time they had spent in the various Amazon villages that they had come across in their travels. It was funny, dispite being born in a simple farming village, Gabrielle had always seemed right in her element whenever she was among the Amazon's. Perhaps it was because unlike most people the Amazon's didn't treat her as just some cute, little, naive, slightly annoying sidekick as so many others did before they really got to know her. Instead these people treated Gabrielle not only like royalty. But like a smart, noble woman. Who was capable of more than even Gabrielle herself realized. So how could Xena possibly say no to something that meant so much to Gabrielle. Xena smiled at Gabrielle.

XENA 
I see no reason why we can't go check it out.

Gabrielle looked back at Skyla.

GABRIELLE 
It's settled then. That is if you don't mind taking us there.

Skyla gave an overly dramatic bow and smiled, showing that it was mostly meant as a comedic gesture. She seemed unsure if she should have done that until Gabrielle laughed a little and Skyla gave a relieved smile as she stood up straight.

SKYLA 
It would be an honor to escort you there and show you my home.

GABRIELLE 
Lead the way.

The rest of the Amazons began to move out ahead of Gabrielle, Xena and Skyla.

SKYLA 
So shall we get going? It isn't too far, so if we start walking now we should make it before dark.

Gabrielle nodded and she and Xena followed Skyla and the rest of the group into the nearby forest. Gabrielle walked beside Xena, who held Argo's reigns as they went along. She talked with Skyla as they made their way to the village. The young Amazon had red hair that came down past her shoulders and black painted markings on her face. She wore clothing that was much less revealing than most the other Amazon women that Gabrielle had seen. A black leather dress that came down to just above her knees with slits up each side to just below her hips. She had leather armor on each shoulder, wrist guards that covered most her forearms. A small fur cloak that hung over one shoulder. A necklace not unlike many other Amazon style jewelry. Made of animal bone but still elegant and feminine none the less. She wore boots that came up to just below her knees and carried a sword on her hip. A side from her less slighty revealing dress, as a whole Skyla appeared to be the typical young Amazon woman. Gabrielle struck up a conversation with her. Both to try and make her more comfortable around her and because when it came to talking, that was just what Gabrielle did.

GABRIELLE 
So what do you do Skyla?

SKYLA 
I'm a hunter. Well I'm working on being one anyway.

GABRIELLE 
Do you like being a hunter?

SKYLA 
I do. I love being among nature. It's honestly where I'm most comfortable and feel closest to Artemis.

Gabrielle smiled. Realizing that as Skyla talked about hunting and nature she seemed much more at ease. Gabrielle had clearly found the girls comfort zone. Xena kept quiet as she walked along with the group, listening to Gabrielle and Skyla talk. She could tell that the Amazon actually enjoyed talking with Gabrielle. Even if she struggled with Gabrielle's insistence on informality. And wasn't simply indulging her talkative nature because of Gabrielle's status. Xena smiled as they continued on. The sun had begun to set when the group came to the edge of a large forest. Skyla smiled.

SKYLA 
It's not much further now, this way Queen Gabrielle, Xena.

A number of people lit torches as everyone headed into the forest. The group walked for a while longer until they came to a waterfall. Skyla looked back at Gabrielle and Xena.

SKYLA 
Here we are.

Gabrielle looked around a bit confused. She didn't see anything but a waterfall in the middle of a forest. She watched as a few women from the group walked ahead and pulled out some large tree branches from between some rocks. They walked into the waterfall and a few moments later Gabrielle and Xena saw a large slab of rock being pushed out from behind the flowing water. The Amazon's then disappeared beyond the waterfall for a moment and came back holding a large cloth that seemed to be waterproof. They stuck poles that were connected to each corner of the cloth into the ground and held them in place as another of the women used another larger branch with a a big rounded, ball like item attached to one end and placed it in the middle of the cloth with the rounded end pushing the cloth up and creating an arch so the water could ran down the sides. Leaving a dry entrance into a cave that was hidden behind the water and rocks. Skyla held one of the torches as she looked at Gabrielle's stunned expression and smirked.

SKYLA 
You haven't seen anything yet my queen.

Gabrielle didn't get to complain about being addressed by her title as Skyla followed the other Amazon's into the cave. Gabrielle looked at Xena who shrugged and made a motion with her arm for Gabrielles to go ahead of her as she smirked.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) After you you're majesty.

Gabrielle smiled as she shook her head disapprovingly at Xena's comment. She walked past Xena and playfully smacked her in the stomach for her mocking behavior. She walked into the cave with Xena chuckling a little behind her. Inside Skyla stood waiting for them. Gabrielle glanced back and saw the rest of the group entering the cave behind them. Inside it just looked like any other cave. Gabrielle tried to see down further but it was too dark.

SKYLA 
Final stretch. Follow me.

Everyone made their way through the cave. They walked for a while longer until Gabrielle and Xena could see light from fire up a head where the cave clarity came to an end. Finally the group made it to the exit and Gabrielle stood in awe at the incredible sight before her. She looked around briefly taking in the scenery.

GABRIELLE 
Woah... Xena are you seeing this?

Xena looked around as well as she stood next to Gabrielle.

XENA 
Yeah. It's quite impressive. I don't think I've ever seen an Amazon village or even any village or city like this.

Skyla smiled as she folded her arms across her chest a chuckled a little. Obviously beaming with pride for her home.

SKYLA 
So Queen Gabrielle, I take it you like what you see?

Gabrielle nodded as she continued to look at her new surroundings.

GABRIELLE 
You actually live here.

SKYLA 
That's right.

Skyla walked a few feet in front of Gabrielle and Xena and turned to face them as she held out her arms to each side in a showman like gesture. She was obviously a fairly animated person. But clearly all in good fun. She smiled as gave Xena and Gabrielle an official sounding welcome.

SKYLA 
Queen Gabrielle, Xena. Welcome to our home. The hidden Amazon village of the secret Saphire Snow Owl Tribe.

×××

continued

 

Back to the Academy