Gabrielle stood in awe. Taking in the beautiful scenery. Xena looked around as well as the two stood at the village entrance. Even though Xena thought that the village was cery impressive, she was actually more amused by Gabrielle's reaction. Skyla smiled as she looked out at her home village.

SKYLA 
It's really something isn't it?

GABRIELLE 
I'll say.

Gabrielle continued to take in the view. The village itself was a fairly large. There were a vast number of houses and other buildings. The whole area was surrounded by large cliffs. Alot of the rock was covered in vines, moss and other plant life. On one of the sides of the cliffs was a large waterfall that flowed down into a crystal clear lake. The majority of the arena was covered in lush, green grass. There was a vast, beautiful garden. That had various flowers, vegetables and herbs. A small orchard of fruit trees with different fruits hanging from their branches. There was a fenced off area with a good number of horses trotting around and grazing in the field. The woman of the village went about their business as children ran around carefree. Gabrielle was certain it was just her imagination, but even the sky above seemed a little clearer and the sun shined and bit brighter there. The secret Amazon village was truly an incredible sight to be seen.

GABRIELLE 
Skyla, this village. It's beautiful.

SKYLA 
I know right?

The young Amazon began walking backwards towards the village.

SKYLA 
If you'd like I can give you two the grand tour.

GABRIELLE 
I'd love that if it's not too much trouble.

SKYLA 
Of course not. After all it's not everyday the Amazon queen comes to visit. If you'd like you can leave your horse with the others while you're here. Don't worry she'll be in good hands.

Xena and Gabrielle looked at Argo who Xena had by the reigns. Xena shrugged as Skyla motioned for one of the other women to take the mare to the field with the rest of the horses.

SKYLA 
Now if you'll follow me. Right this way Queen Gabrielle, Xena.

Skyla turned around and lead the way with Gabrielle and Xena following as she gave them a tour of the village. As they walked around the area Skyla gave the two information about various things involving the village. Answering any questions that the ever inquisitive Gabrielle came up with. She introduced them to some of the other residents of the village as they went along. Once they had circled the village they three stood in the center of the village.

SKYLA 
So what do you think?

GABRIELLE 
Amazing. Thank you so much for showing us around Skyla.

Skyla shrugged.

SKYLA 
Eh it's no big deal. If anything it was an honor to be able to show the queen around. 

As they spoke another young woman came over to them.

?
Skyla there you are.

Skyla looked at the woman.

SKYLA 
Oh Clover.how was practice today?

The young woman Skyla called Clover looked at Xena and Gabrielle as she answered.

CLOVER 
Fine. Who's this? 

Xena noticed the young woman looked at them wearily. Thogh Xena understood why. After all they were strangers in her village which was apparently a secret for some reason. So Xena didn't hold the woman's stand-offish behavior against her.

SKYLA 
Oh how rude of me. Clover, this is queen Gabrielle and Xena.

Skyla gestured to Xena and Gabrielle as she introduced them. Clover looked at Gabrielle.

CLOVER
My queen. It's an honor to meet you.

She was about to bow when Gabrielle stopped her.

GABRIELLE 
You really don't have to do that.

Clover gave Skyla a confused look. Skyla shrugged.

SKYLA 
Apparently she's not really into formalities.

CLOVER 
Okaaayyy?

Clover then stood there for a moment seemingly not knowing what to say or do next. So Gabrielle decided to try and break the awkward tension.

GABRIELLE 
So Clover what do you do?

CLOVER 
I'm a warrior.

Gabrielle giggled a little at herself for an obviously silly question.

GABRIELLE 
Right I probably should've figured that from that large axe strapped to your back.

Clover did indeed give off a warrior vibe. She wore leather armor on her chest and back. Leather shoulder and arm guards that were covered in fur. Thick boots that came up to her knees. A fur skirt that hung at an angle on her hips and pants underneath with the legs tucked into her boots. She had long redish hair, a lighter shade than Skyla's. Gabrielle could see that she appeared to be a little older than Skyla. While Skyla was only a little taller than Gabrielle, Clover was about the same height as Xena. But just a tad shorter. Gabrielle wondered if warrior women being so tall was just a normal thing. Clover looked at Xena and saw the sword on her back.

CLOVER 
So are you any good with a sword or is that thing just for show?

Xena arched her eyebrow at what appeared to be a challenge.

XENA 
You wanna find out?

CLOVER 
Kinda.

Gabrielle saw the look in Xena's eyes, knowing that she was itching for the chance of a good fight. She nudged Xena in her side and got an innocent look.

XENA 
What? 

GABRIELLE 
You know what. Play nice.

Xena rolled her eyes which got a laugh from Skyla.

SKYLA 
You two are fun. Don't worry I'm sure there will be plenty of time for you to spar with Clover Xena.

CLOVER 
Later then. I've got things to do right now anyway.

Clover turned away and walked off.

SKYLA 
See you later Clover.

Clover gave a quick wave as she kept walking. Skyla looked back at Gabrielle and Xena. As she did there was a small growl. She smiled as she looked at Gabrielle who laughed a little awkwardly.

SKYLA 
Would you two like to stay for dinner?

GABRIELLE 
I guess I could eat.

The two laughed and Skyla lead Gabrielle and Xena to get something to eat. After having their fill, they sat on the steps of the mess hall. Xena noticed that it was beginning to get late.

XENA 
We should probably get going soon Gabrielle.

Gabrielle looked at the sun setting and sighed.

GABRIELLE 
You're right.

Xena and Gabrielle stood up walked down the rest of the steps.

SKYLA 
Do you really have to leave already?

Gabrielle and Xena turned to face Skyla who was still sitting on the stairs.

GABRIELLE 
If we wanna make camp before it's too dark unfortunately we need to get going.

SKYLA 
Why not stay here?

GABRIELLE 
Oh we couldn't impose.

Skyla hopped up and walked down the steps.

SKYLA 
Don't be silly. There's more than enough room for you to stay here. Especially for our queen. 
(Joking) And before you complain Queen Gabrielle, I couldn't bear the thought of her highness roughing it like some common warrior.

Skyla looked Xena.

SKYLA 
No offense.

Xena smirked.

GABRIELLE 
I guess if it's really not too much trouble.

Gabrielle looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
What do you think?

XENA 
If you wanna stay it's fine with me.

Skyla smiled.

SKYLA 
It sounds like we're all in agreement then.

She gave a dramatic bow and gestured to the side with her arm.

SKYLA 
(Joking) Your castle awaits my queen.

Gabrielle smiled st the young woman who she felt was quickly becoming her friend as Skyla lead her and Xena to one of the building's.

GABRIELLE 
We're staying here?!

Gabrielle stood next to Xena and Skyla as she looked at the large two story building. Skyla gave Gabrielle a slightly confused look.

SKYLA 
Is there a problem? Unfortunately this is the biggest house in the village. I'm sorry if it's not enough. But we never really expected for the Amazon queen to...

GABRIELLE 
No, no it's not that. This is more than enough trust me. I just wasn't expecting something this big. This is too much.

Skyla smiled.

SKYLA 
I should've figured that was what you meant. And don't worry about putting anyone out by staying here. This house has been vacant since our previous tribe leader died a few years ago. The woman who took over prefers more simple living conditions. But...

Skyla opened the door and lead Gabrielle and Xena inside.

SKYLA 
As you can see it's still been maintained in the absence of any residents. So I hope you both will feel right at home and comfortable during your stay.

Xena and Gabrielle looked around as they stood in the doorway of the large house.

GABRIELLE 
I don't think that's gonna be a problem.

Skyla smiled 

SKYLA 
Why don't you have a look around and let me know if there's anything you need.

Xena and Gabrielle exchanged a brief look of disbelief and began walking through the house. The front door of the house opened into the living room. It was completely furnished and decorated in a very Amazon like style. There were two comfortable looking chairs in front of a fireplace with a large wild cat pelt rug on floor. A couch that sat up against the wall with another skin hanging above it along with various other decorations that were placed around the room. Next Xena and Gabrielle looked through a doorway that was on the opposite wall across from the front door. Inside was a small kitchen. They assumed that this was something the other houses didn't have due to the communal mess hall. But being that this was the former tribe leader's home it made sense that there would be special design choices for this house. Next Skyla lead Xena and Gabrielle through a door from the living room into a room with a large tub that sat inside a slightly raised platform with a couple stairs leading up to it. It had shelves with all sorts of different nice smelling soaps, oils and other things in that category. In side the bathroom there were two doors that Skyla opened. The first was to a small heated room with a well built in for fresh hot water for the tub. The second was toilet use. Skyla continued the tour by bringing Xena and Gabrielle back into the living room and up a staircase that hugged the wall near the front door. Upstairs was a small hallway with a door on each side. Skyla opened one door that lead to a medium sized bedroom with all the usual bedroom furniture. A medium sized bed sat in the middle of the far wall directly under a window. A cabinet sat next to the bed. A dresser was against the wall to the side. A small table with couple chairs sat near the door along with a number of other decorative items placed around the room. The final stop on the tour was the room across the hall. Another larger bedroom. Similarly set up like the first. But this one had a much larger bed. Along with shelves and scrolls and books. Xena noticed the huge smile on Gabrielle's face when she saw that. There was another door in the room that Skyla opened as the trio stepped outside onto a balcony. Xena looked around seeing a grand view of the village from where they stood. Finally Skyla turned to Gabrielle and Xena.

SKYLA 
Sooo?

Gabrielle stood there momentarily speechless. Xena noticed Gabrielle's uncharacteristic silence as she looked at her.

XENA 
(Joking) Gabrielle being quiet? That's new.

Gabrielle recovered quickly as she gave Xena a playful disapproving glare. She then looked at Skyla.

GABRIELLE 
I don't really know what to say. This place is amazing. It's too much. Skyla are you sure we can stay here?

SKYLA 
Absolutely. Like I said no one's living here. So you're free to stay. Just let me or anyone else know if you need anything.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) What more could we possibly need?

SKYLA 
Well as long as you're happy my queen, I'm happy.

GABRIELLE 
You're gonna keep calling me that aren't you?

Skyla smrked..

SKYLA 
Yup.

Gabrielle had a feeling that Skyla was using the term as a bit of a joke knowing that it made Gabrielle slightly uncomfortable. How quickly had Skyla taken a liking to Gabrielle and Xena that went beyond Gabrielle simply being her queen. Gabrielle smiled as she shook her head.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Why do I feel like you're going to be trouble?

SKYLA 
(Joking) Probably because I am.

Skyla said goodnight to me two and left to head home. Gabrielle stood on the balcony looking at the village as the sun slowly disappeared from the sky and the villagers lit up large torches for light in the village. Xena stood behind Gabrielle and wrapped her arms around her midsection as Gabrielle leaned into her and smiled.

GABRIELLE 
This place is really something isn't it Xena?

XENA 
Yeah. 

Gabrielle sighed.

XENA 
Something wrong?

GABRIELLE 
No. I was just thinking about how we're gonna be leaving tomorrow. And who knows if we'll ever see a place like this again.

XENA 
You really like it here don't you?

GABRIELLE 
Look out there Xena. How could anyone not?

Xena smiled.

XENA 
Good point.

Gabrielle leaned her head back against Xena as she smiled.

GABRIELLE 
I guess I shouldn't complain. After all how many people even get to see a secret Amazon village like this anyway.

XENA 
I'm assuming not many.

Xena kissed the top of Gabrielle's head as she let her go.

XENA 
It's late we should get some sleep.

GABRIELLE 
Okay.

Gabrielle and Xena went inside and got ready for bed. A little later as Gabrielle slept soundly in bed snuggled next to Xena who had her arm around her as she layed awake looking at Gabrielle peacefully sleeping. Xena's mind kept going to how happy Gabrielle always was around the Amazon's. And how much she seemed to love this village. She even already made a friend in Skyla. Xena thought about all the time they spent out on the road. Not that she or Gabrielle didn't like that, but a part of Xena had occasionally thought of what life might be like if the two ever settled down somewhere one day. Even if was just for a while. 

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Well this is an Amazon village. So I doubt things are really boring here. 

Xena looked at Gabrielle and smiled as she closed her eyes.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) I guess staying here a little longer won't hurt. This should be interesting at the very least.

As Xena drifted off to sleep, outside the village a nervous man entered a dimly lit room and stood before a much bigger man who sat in a large chair. The man who stood wore the same armor as the slavers who Xena and Gabrielle stopped from kidnapping the Amazon's. He looked down slightly as the man in the chair spoke.

?
Well do you care to explain why I don't have the fresh group of Amazons that I sent you to get?

MAN
(Nervous tone) Well you see we had them, but then this warrior woman, I'm sure you've heard of her. Xena showed up and stopped us.

The man stood from his seat and walked up to who was clearly his subordinate.

?
Is that so?

MAN 
Yes and she said to deliver a message to you Arsen.

The large man known as Arsen looked down at the man that he employed.

ARSEN 
And just what did Xena want you to tell me?

MAN
Uh she said that she was coming for you. I guess she plans on stopping you from taking the Amazon's.

Arsen gave an evil smile.

ARSEN 
Ha! I'd like to see her try.

He patted the man on the back.

ARSEN 
I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

The man gave a relieved smile feeling like he had done a good job. But suddenly he felt Arsen grab the back of his neck as he picked up a dagger from the table next to him and drove it into his stomach.

MAN
Ugh...

Arsen looked the man in the eyes as he twisted the blade inside him.

ARSEN 
People like you are useless to me. I will have those Amazon's.

He yanked the blade out and pushed the man to the floor. Arsen looked at the bloody dagger in his hand.

ARSEN 
I'll find those Amazon's, that village and all the secrets that those damned women have been hiding.

×××

continued

 

Back to the Academy