The morning sunlight came in through the window as Gabrielle slowly opened her eyes. As the world around her came into focus she noticed that Xena's side of the bed was empty. Though that wasn't a surprise. Xena always woke up before her. Gabrielle yawned as she sat up and stretched a little. She sat there for a few moments before deciding to get up and see where Xena had gone off to. Gabrielle got dressed and went downstairs. She found Xena just coming inside.

GABRIELLE 
What were you up to?

XENA 
Nothing really. I was just walking around the village and went to check on Argo.

Gabrielle smiled as she walked over to Xena and put her arms around her waist as she gave her a kiss. Xena smiled as she held Gabrielle looking at her.

XENA 
What was that for? Not that I'm complaining or anything.

GABRIELLE 
Just a little thank you for letting me stay here last night.

XENA 
Well I'm glad I could make you so happy.

Gabrielle pulled away and began walking outside.

XENA
Where are you going?

Gabrielle stopped and looked back at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
I'm gonna go find Skyla so I can say goodbye before we leave.

XENA 
Why?

GABRIELLE 
(Confused tone) Because she's my friend and I wanna see her before we go.

Xena chuckled as she walked over to Gabrielle.

XENA 
That's not what I ment.

Gabrielle gave Xena a curious expression.

XENA 
I mean you don't have to say goodbye to Skyla, the others, or this village if you don't want to.

A big smile crossed Gabrielle's face as she realized what Xena was saying.

GABRIELLE 
You mean we're staying?

XENA 
That's right.

Gabrielle practically jumped into Xena's arms as she hugged her.

GABRIELLE 
Oh thank you Xena. You have no idea how much this means to me.

Xena smiled as she hugged Gabrielle in return.

XENA 
Now this won't be permanent, but we can stay for a while okay?

GABRIELLE 
That's fine.

The two separated.

XENA 
Now how 'bout we go eat.

GABRIELLE 
Sounds good. I can't wait to tell Skyla the good news.

Xena and Gabrielle went to the mess hall. After getting their food Gabrielle heard her name being called. She looked around and saw Skyla sitting at a table with Clover and a few others.

SKYLA 
Gabrielle, Xena over here.

Xena and Gabrielle made their way over to the long table. One of many in the large, but simple room. There were various decorations on the walls and besides the doors that led outside, there were two large doors on one side of the room. As people came in and out Gabrielle had seen that it was the kitchen. And then of course there were the multiple long tables that lived one wall where all the food that was prepaid was set out in a buffet for anyone to show up whenever and grab a bite to eat. Gabrielle and Xena came to the table were Skyla and Clover sat. Skyla smiled and Clover gave a quick nod to great them.

SKYLA 
Morning. Have a seat.

Xena and Gabrielle sat across from the two as everyone ate.

GABRIELLE 
Oh Skyla I have great news. It turns out we're gonna be staying here for a while after all.

SKYLA 
That's awesome. 

Skyla looked at Clover.

SKYLA 
Hey maybe now you'll get the chance to take on Xena.

Clover looked at Xena and smirked. Xena did the same to Clover, then they both went back to eating. Skyla and Gabrielle looked at the two.

GABRIELLE
Warriors.

SKYLA 
I know right?

The two laughed a little.

SKYLA 
Oh Gabrielle let me introduce you to some of my other sisters.

Skyla motioned to one of the other women at the table.

SKYLA 
This is Fauna.

The woman she introduced had long, light blonde hair. She wore a small top made of dark leather that had strings of small beads hanging in long loops on the bottom. She had a short leather skirt with a belt that had a couple of long fur strips that hung from the waist. Leather arm bracers lined with fur covered her forearms, stopping just before her elbows. She had simple leather boots with fur around the top that came to just below her knees. Gabrielle smiled as greeted her.

GABRIELLE 
Nice to meet you Fauna.

FAUNA 
A pleasure.

SKYLA
Next is Kai.

Gabrielle said hello to the woman. She had red hair that she wore in two braids that hung over her shoulders with a leather headband. She wore a simple dark fabric top that stopped just below her chest and tied behind her back. It had a leather strip along the top that also went around her and two strings that tied around her neck where a thick golden choker necklace also sat. Long, simple leather bracers covered her forearms. She also wore a short leather skirt with a slit up each side that stopped under her studded belt that held the sword that sat on her hip. The simple boots she wore stopped a third of the way up her calf. She smiled as she gave a quick wave.

KAI
Hey.

SKYLA 
And last but not least is Iris.

The young woman looked down shyly as she was introduced. 

IRIS
Hi.

Iris had medium length brown hair that had a beaded headband sitting just above her forehead. She wore a stiff leather top with nothing on the shoulders. The front had layered pieces of leather that curved upward on her chest. The top came down to her waist and had an arch in the front that came up from the bottom, exposing her stomach. Leather wrist guards covered most of her forearms. They had a big piece of leather that was connected at the base of the forearm.. it went all the way up the rest of her arms and came to a point. They were held in place by a strip of leather that tied around her upper arms. The bottom half of her outfit was a simple leather skirt that was slightly longer on one side with a belt for her sword on her hip. She wore medium length boots that stopped below the knee in the back and came up further in the front to just past her knees. Gabrielle smiled at all of them.

GABRIELLE 
It's nice to meet all of you.

XENA 
Same.

Everyone in the group ate and chatted for a while.

FAUNA 
I'm curious, which tribe are you two from exactly?

GABRIELLE 
Technically none.

FAUNA 
What do you mean? 

GABRIELLE 
Well you see Xena's not an Amazon. And I wasn't born one.

Gabrielle explained to the group how she became an Amazon princess then queen.

SKYLA
You and Xena really live pretty exciting lives don't you.

GABRIELLE 
You could say that.

Everyone chatted for a bit longer before the residents of the village went to start their daily activities.

SKYLA 
(Joking) So what does her majesty have planned for today?

GABRIELLE 
I don't really have any plans.. What should we do today Xena?

XENA 
I don't know. Maybe...

As she about to answer Clover came back over.

CLOVER
Xena I was wondering if you'd like to see our practice field.

She looked at Gabrielle and nodded in respect to her queen.

CLOVER 
I'm sorry if I'm interrupting anything queen Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
Just Gabrielle is fine. And no you're not interrupting at all. I'm sure Xena would love to join you.

Gabrielle looked at Xena who nonchalantly shrugged.

XENA 
Nothing like a good fight in the morning to get the blood pumping.

Xena stood up to follow Clover to the practice field.

XENA 
See you later.

GABRIELLE 
Have fun and don't beat each other up too badly.

XENA 
(Joking) No promises.

Xena and Clover left the mess hall. Leaving just Gabrielle and Skyla at the table. Gabrielle put her elbow on the table as she rested her chin in her hand.

GABRIELLE 
So now what?

Skyla looked at Gabrielle as she thought.

SKYLA 
Hmm

GABRIELLE 
What?

SKYLA 
You know I just realized you don't really look like an Amazon. Especially not a queen. No offense.

GABRIELLE 
None taken. But I never bothered to take some Amazon clothing from the other villages I've visited. Me and Xena prefer to travel light. So that sort of thing isn't really important when I'm not around other Amazon's.

SKYLA 
Well since you're gonna be here for a while why not look the part?

GABRIELLE 
I would but like I said I don't have my stuff with me.

Skyla stood up and smiled.

SKYLA 
Oh don't worry about that. I'm sure we can find something around here that will fit you perfectly.

Gabrielle smiled as she stood up and walked outside with Skyla. Later Xena walked into their temporary home. She looked around but didn't see Gabrielle and wondered if she was still roaming around the village with Skyla.

XENA 
I'm back. You hear Gabrielle?

She heard Gabrielles voice coming from upstairs.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah. How was sparing with Clover?

XENA 
Not bad. She's a pretty skilled fighter. What did you do today?

GABRIELLE 
I was with Skyla all day.

XENA 
You enjoy yourself?

GABRIELLE 
Um hm.

XENA 
Good. I'm gonna take a bath. That woman made me work up a real sweat out there.

GABRIELLE 
Sounds like you enjoyed your day too.

XENA 
Yup.

Xena went and took a bath then went upstairs to see what Gabrielle was doing. She walked into their bedroom and saw Gabrielle looking in the mirror as she looked at her reflection. She was dressed in Amazon attire. Much like something she had worn before when they had visited other villages. Gabrielle saw Xena in the mirror and turned around.

XENA 
So I can probably guess what you and Skyla did today.

GABRIELLE 
She had me pick out a few outfits. Figuring if we're staying for a bit it might be nice if I fit in more. So I grabbed some that were like the other's I've worn.

Xena smiled.

XENA 
You know I've always thought that you looked good in that Amazon stuff.

Gabrielle chuckled as she walked over to Xena and put her arms around her neck.

GABRIELLE 
Well as long as you like it. 

Gabrielle kissed Xena as Xena pulled Gabrielle against her.

GABRIELLE 
You know I really don't know how to thank you for letting us stay in this village.

XENA 
Like I said before as long as you're happy Gabrielle that's all the thanks I need.

GABRIELLE 
Have I told you today how much I love you.

XENA 
(Joking) Nope.

GABRIELLE 
Well let me fix that right now then. I love you Xena. So much.

Gabrielle kissed Xena again.

GABRIELLE 
(Enticing tone) You know I think I have an idea on how I can thank you for being so amazing.

Xena knew exactly what Gabrielle was hinting at.

XENA 
You really don't need to do anything. 
(Joking) But if you really insist who am I to stop you.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) After all I am a queen.

They laughed a little as they moved towards the bed. Gabrielle layed back as Xena climbed over her. Xena knelt between her legs as she took off her armor and left it on the floor by the bed. As Gabrielle layed there she began to remove her top. Xena stopped her and gave an alluring smile.

XENA 
No, leave it on.

Xena kissed Gabrielle as she ran her hands up Gabrielle's legs and disappeared under her skirt. She took off Gabrielle's underwear and tossed them aside Xena began tracing her hands up Gabrielle's torso. She reached her boobs and lightly squeezed them. Gabrielle let out a soft moan as Xena massaged her chest for a few moments before slipping the straps to Gabrielle's top off her shoulders allowing Xena to pull the clothing down just enough to expose her chest. She kissed Gabrielle again before she began kissing down her neck to her chest. Gabrielle moaned as she felt Xena's lips brush against her nipple before taking into her mouth and begin sucking. Gabrielle moaned Xena's name as she ran her fingers through Xena's long dark hair. She arched her back pushing further against Xena's mouth and tongue. After a few moments Xena switched to the other nipple and ran the tip of her tongue over it before taking that one in her mouth as well, sucking it for a few moments.

GABRIELLE 
Aren't I... ugh. supposed to be thanking you here? 

Xena pulled her mouth away.

XENA 
(Seductive tone) Ohhh you are.

Xena got up and took Gabrielle's hand. She moved to sit in one of the chairs that were in the room and guided Gabrielle to straddle her lap. Gabrielle put her arms around Xena's neck as Xena ran her hands up and down her chest and stomach kissing her all the while. Finally Xena placed one hand on Gabrielle's lower back as she slid the other up under Gabrielle skirt. She teased her fingertips along Gabrielle's womanhood. Gabrielle moaned at the gentle contact. Xena stroked the wetness that was becoming more abundant in Gabrielle's core. She slowly ran her finger back and forth along her entrance as Gabrielle slowly rocked against her touch. After a moment Xena stilled her hand and slowly pushed two fingers inside Gabrielle. Gabrielle gasped in enjoyment as she felt Xena enter her. Xena held her fingers still inside Gabrielle's feminine treasure. She pulled Gabrielle close and whispered in her ear.

XENA 
(Seductive whisper) I wanna watch you ride my hand.

Gabrielle let out a breathless moan as she felt herself somehow even more attracted to Xena in that moment. Which she hadn't thought possible mere seconds ago. She began to slowly rock her hips as she moved on Xena's fingers. Xena watched as Gabrielle thrust herself onto her. As Gabrielle continued she placed her hands and held on to the back of the chair. She moved against Xena. Feeling her penitrate deep inside her warmth. Gabrielle softly moaned Xena's name over and over as she started to go a little faster. Xena could feel her own arousal increasing further as she watched and listened to Gabrielle who appeared to be getting close to her climax. Gabrielle's cries of pleasure began to get louder as she moved faster against Xena's hand. 

XENA 
Come on Gabrielle. That's it.

Gabrielle thrust harder. Feeling Xena go deeper inside her. She put her arms back around Xena as she moved fast a few more times, before burying her face into Xena's neck and shoulder, letting out a muffled cry of extacy as she went over the edge and came hard. Xena could feel Gabrielle's center spasm and tighten around her fingers. After a few moments passed Gabrielle relaxed and pulled back a bit as she kissed Xena a few times. She shifted a little as Xena took her hand away from her still sensitive center. Gabrielle smiled at Xena as she caught her breath.

GABRIELLE 
You know I don't think that you giving me love like that counts as me thanking you.

Xena arched her eyebrow.

XENA 
Why did you have something else in mind?

GABRIELLE 
(Seductive tone) Maybe.

XENA 
Care to tell me.

GABRIELLE 
(Seductive tone) Actually I'd rather show you.

XENA 
(Seductive tone) Oh. Well then by all means.

Gabrielle chuckled as she kissed Xena a couple times before getting off her lap. She knelt down in front of Xena who still sat in the chair. Gabrielle began sliding her hands up Xena's thighs and under her skirt. As she grabbed hold of Xena's underwear, Xena lifted off the seat a little so Gabrielle could get them off. After tossing those aside, Gabrielle began kissing her way up the inside of Xena's thighs. Xena flipped her skirt up to both give Gabrielle easier access to her area of need. And so Xena could actually see her. She watched as Gabrielle made her way closer. Stopping as she reached Xena's netherlands. Gabrielle lightly stroked her finger along Xena's center. She looked up at Xena and smiled when she saw a look of enjoyment on Xena's face. Xena watched as Gabrielle slipped a finger inside and slowly moved it in and out a few times before taking it out completely. She then placed the finger in her mouth. Xena arched her eyebrow and smirked at the seductive move. Gabrielle could tell by Xena's increased breathing that that act had infact achieved her intended effect. After getting all of Xena's taste of her finger, Gabrielle placed a hand on each of Xena's thighs and pushed them further apart. She leaned close and lightly ran her tongue up and down Xena's womanhood. Xena let out a low hum as she felt Gabrielle's tongue pushing further into her. Gabrielle plunged deep into Xena's center as xena ran her fingers through Gabrielle's long blonde hair. Xena felt Gabrielle graze her clit and let out a gasp. Gabrielle began rolling her tongue over the little bud again and again. Xena leaned her head back as she felt the pressure within her building. She gripped the chair with one hand as she held Gabrielle closer to her. As Gabrielle continued Xena felt herself nearing her climax. Gabrielle focused on the same spot, knowing that Xena was get close. Xena arched her back slightly as she begin moving her hips against Gabrielle. It wasn't long until Xena felt a powerful orgasism rip through her. She let out a moan of pure extacy as came. Gabrielle took her mouth off of Xena and stood up. Xena came down from her high, pushed her skirt back down and took Gabrielle's hand, pulling her onto her lap. Xena smiled as she put her arms around Gabrielle and kissed her.

XENA 
(Joking) Remind me to make you this happy more often.

Gabrielle chuckled as layed her head on Xena's shoulder. She brushed the back of her hand on Xena's cheek.

GABRIELLE 
I love you so much Xena.

Xena smiled as she took Gabrielle's hand and kissed it.

XENA 
I love you too Gabrielle. Always.

They sat like that for a while. Simply enjoy being together. After a bit they decide to get dressed. They were walking down the stairs when they heard a scream coming from outside.

GABRIELLE 
What was that?

XENA 
Don't know, but I plan on finding out.

Xena hurried down the rest of the stairs and opened the front door. As she stepped outside she saw number of the Amazon villagers standing in a group. They all seemed very upset. Gabrielle met Xena at the door as they both left the house. As they walked over to the scene they saw Fauna in the crowd.

GABRIELLE 
Fauna, what's going on?

The resurved Amazon looked at Gabrielle with tears in her eyes.

GABRIELLE 
What is it?

Fauna couldn't say anything as she lowered her head with the tears streaming down her face. Gabrielle and Xena made their way through the crowd. As they did they heard Clover yelling.

CLOVER 
Stop standing there. Someone do something damn it!

Gabrielle and Xena stepped in front of the crowd. As they did Gabrielle couldn't believe her eyes. Or didn't want to anyway.

GABRIELLE 
Skyla...

Clover looked up as she knelt on the ground. She had tears streaming down her cheeks as she held Skyla's head in her lap. There was an arrow in her chest. And another two in her stomach. Xena could tell by where Skyla was hit, if something wasn't done fast the young woman wouldn't make it. Clover looked Gabrielle for guidance because she was the queen. And made a heartfelt plea for help.

CLOVER 
Please someone help her. I can't let her die.

×××

The crowd surrounded Xena, Gabrielle, Clover and Skyla. Clover held Skyla as she knelt on the ground. Xena crouched down to examine Skyla's wounds. As she did Skyla looked at her but she appeared to not be completely there. Xena had a feeling that her condition wasn't just due to the two arrows that had punchered her. Gabrielle crouched down next to Xena. She could see from Xena's expression that something else besides being shot was wrong.

GABRIELLE 
What is it?

XENA 
I'm not quite sure yet.

Clover gave them a worried look.

CLOVER 
Can you save her?

Xena continued examining Skyla as best she could at the moment.

XENA 
I'm gonna try.

Xena stood up.

XENA 
First we need to take her to the infermery. 

Clover nodded. A few women carried Skyla to the infermery. Followed by Xena, Gabrielle, Clover and a few others. Inside Xena took charge of the situation. The village healers weren't very thrilled about an outsider just coming in and ordering them around. 

GABRIELLE 
Xena's one of the most skilled healers I've seen. She knows what she's doing. I can't think of anyone who would have a better chance of saving Skyla than her. And that's not just my personal opinion.

The healers looked at each other for a moment as they weighted their opinions. Not having time to waste on pettiness, Gabrielle pulled rank and used her status as queen to order the healers to allow Xena to do her work. She particularly didn't like to do this but with someone's life hanging in the balance, Gabrielle did what needed to be done. Reluctantly the healers obeyed and gave Xena free reign over the infermery. She quickly got to work and had a few healers assist her. After successfully removing one of the arrows Xena quickly examined it and tossed it into the basket next to her as she continued to work.

XENA 
That's what I thought. Damn it!

GABRIELLE 
What is it?

XENA 
The arrows were dipped in toxins. The kind that can render someone unconscious if used correctly.

Gabrielle had a feeling that she wasn't going to like the answer to her next question.

GABRIELLE 
And if used incorrectly?

XENA 
It's extremely deadly. And based on the fact that Skyla had multiple arrows that were laced with the stuff pierce her...

Xena didn't need to finish that statement. Everyone there knew that the chances of Skyla surviving were slim at best. Clover, who was amung them broke down.

CLOVER 
No damn it!

In desperation Clover grabbed Xena's arm.

CLOVER 
She can't die.

Xena knew the look in Clovers eyes. Complete panic and fear. Understanding Xena gently pulled Clover's hand off her.

XENA 
I'm going to do everything I can. I promise.

Xena looked at Gabrielle.

XENA 
Gabrielle I need you to take Clover outside while I work.

Clover scowled.

CLOVER
I'm not going anywhere!

XENA 
If I'm going to save her I have to concentrate. And you being in here losing it isn't going to help.

Clover didn't say anything as she stared angerly at Xena clenching her fist at her sides.

XENA 
Look I get it. If it were Gabrielle here I'd feel the same way. But you need to let me work. It's the best chance you have at saving Skyla.

Clover lowered her head in defeat. Gabrielle put her hand on her shoulder.

GABRIELLE 
Come on, go outside. Let me sit with you while you wait.

Clover looked at Gabrielle.

CLOVER 
Is that an order my queen?

GABRIELLE 
No. It's an offer from a friend.

Clover reluctantly agreed and turned to leave. As Xena continued working on Skyla, she gave Gabrielle a look, thanking her for how she handled the situation. With the room cleared of destructions Xena and the other healers continued trying to save their patient. Outside Gabrielle sat with Clover under a tree near the infermery. Clover nervously picked at the grass as she stared at the building.

CLOVER 
Thanks. You know, for sitting with me. You really didn't have to.

GABRIELLE
Of course I did, that's what friends are for.

Clover gave a quick half-hearted smile.

CLOVER 
You know you're not really what I expected from a queen at all. Especially when I first saw you. No offense.

GABRIELLE 
Don't worry about it, it'll take much more then that to offend me. But seriously I'm really no different from anyone else. I see being queen as more of an opportunity to help people then just using it as a silly status symbol.

CLOVER 
You sure didn't have any problems using that status in there with those healers.

GABRIELLE 
Like I said if I can use my position to help someone I will. 

CLOVER
That sounds to me like the mark of a true leader.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know about that, but thanks anyway.

A little later Clover and Gabrielle saw Xena come outside the infermery. Clover quickly hurried over. Xena told her that everything should be okay. Clover thanked Xena for saving Skyla. As Gabrielle came over she saw Xena whisper something in  Clover's ear before patting her on the back and walking away, Clover looked back at Xena for a moment and smirked before going inside to see Skyla.

GABRIELLE 
What was that about?

XENA 
Just giving a little friendly advice to a fellow warrior about being a little more open with the people she really cares about.

Gabrielle caught on to what Xena was saying.

GABRIELLE 
That definitely explains Clover's reaction in there when things didn't look good. I wonder if Skyla knows how she feels.

XENA 
Don't know. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

GABRIELLE 
But more importantly how's Skyla doing?

XENA
After some rest she should make a full recovery.

Gabrielle breath a sigh of relief at the good news.

GABRIELLE 
Well that's good.

XENA 
Yeah but now we have to find out just what happened out there today.

GABRIELLE 
You mean why those arrows were poisoned.

XENA 
Exactly. If who ever did this just wanted the girl dead why would they choose that particular concoction along with the arrows as the method of infecting her with it  there are plenty of more effective poisons that can kill far easier.

GABRIELLE 
You think whoever's responsible didn't actually intend to kill Skyla then.

XENA 
Right now it's just a hunch, but yes. Unfortunately we won't really know anything until Skyla wakes up. Hopefully she'll be able to tell us what happened.

It was dark outside when there was a knock at the door to Xena and Gabrielle's house. Xena answered to see Kai standing at the door.

KAI
Clover sent me to get queen Gabrielle. She says that Skyla's awake. And figured with her being queen that she should be there to decide what we should do when Skyla tells us what happened.

XENA 
Thanks. I'll get Gabrielle a head over.

KAI
Once we find out who did this I'm gonna make them pay. No one hurts one of my sisters and gets away with it.

Xena saw an intense look in the woman before hers eyes. It was clear that Skyla and her circle of friends were a pretty close knit group. It made sense being that they all appeared to be in a similar age group so they probably grew up together. And after spending their whole lives in a secluded village like this one, it was understandable for residents there to form close bonds with one another. Plus Xena had learned long ago that just as a whole Amazon's tended to be close with their sisters. And even more so when it came to their direct peers.

XENA 
Don't worry when we do find them I'll be sure to give you one of the first shots at those bastards.

Kai cracked her knuckles. 

KAI
Not that I needed your permission. But thanks.

She might've had a slender frame but Xena knew that looks could be deceiving. Especially when it came to Amazon women. No matter their size or shape, they were as a whole a fierce people, not to be underestimated. As Xena spoke with Kai Gabrielle came to the door behind Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Is everything okay?

Xena turned to look at Gabrielle.

XENA
Kai came by to tell us that Skyla's awake.

GABRIELLE 
How is she?

KAI 
Okay I guess. I haven't seen her. Clover was the one who was there when she woke up and sent for someone to come get you queen Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
I should go see her then. Hopefully she's well enough to tell us how this happened.

KAI
I'll be going then. I hope you discover the monster responsible so I can give them a one way trip to Tartarus myself.

Gabrielle understood Kai's sentiment completely. She had only met Skyla and the others a short time ago and yet already felt a strong connection and friendship with them all. Plus with the Amazon's being her people, she certainly had no plans of letting something like this go without finding the culprits and seeing that justice is done.

GABRIELLE 
Don't worry Kai we'll find them.

Kai gave a respectful nod and left. Gabrielle and Xena then made their way to the infermery to speak with Skyla. They entered her room and saw Clover sitting in a chair beside Skyla's bed. Skyla gave a weak smile as she saw them come in.

SKYLA 
(Joking) Hey there your highness. How nice of you to come all the way hear just to grace us with your presence.

Gabrielle smiled at her friends joking nature.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Well at least the poison didn't effect your sense of humor.

SKYLA 
(Joking) I know that would've been the real tragedy of all this.

Skyla's smile quickly disappeared as her mind went back to the events from earlier in the day. Regretting her attempt to make light of the seriousness of what she witnessed. Everyone else in the room could see the change in Skyla's demeanor.

CLOVER 
It's that bad?

Skyla nodded as she looked down. Clenching at the blanket that covered her as she sat at a slightly elevated incline in bed. Gabrielle walked over and stood on the opposite side of the bed from where Clover sat. Xena stood at the foot of the bed.

GABRIELLE 
I know today must've been truly awful for you to act like this. But you're the only one who can tell us what happened.

Skyla looked at Gabrielle in disbelief.

SKYLA 
Wait are you telling me that I'm the only one of the group that made it back?

GABRIELLE 
I didn't understand.

Skyla layed her head back as she felt tears begin to fall down her face.

SKYLA 
No they got EVERYONE. No!

She pounded the bed in frustration as she looked up at the ceiling. Clover put her hand on her shoulder to comfort her. Skyla took a moment as she composed herself. She gave a quick smile to Clover. Silently thanking her for the support. Skyla then turned her attention to Gabrielle.

SKYLA 
Sorry I wasn't aware that no one else had managed to escape.

GABRIELLE 
You have nothing to apologize for. If you can just tell us what you do know.

Skyla took a deep breath to calm herself and began explaining what happened while she was outside the village.

SKYLA 
We were tracking some deer. Everything was going fine until out of nowhere we were attacked.

GABRIELLE 
Do you know who it was?

SKYLA 
Not individually. But I think I recognized the armor that they wore. I'm almost certain that they belonged to the same group of slavers who attacked before when you and Xena showed up and helped us.

The days events caught up with Skyla again as she began to cry once more.

SKYLA 
They took them. Who knows whats gonna happen to them. Why was I the only one that escaped? I should've done more. I should've...

Xena was quick to stop Skyla from going down the road of blaming herself for what happened.

XENA 
Blaming yourself won't do anyone any good. I'm sure you did everything you could to save the others. You nearly died from those poison arrows you were hit with.

CLOVER 
How did you even make it back to the village in your condition?

SKYLA 
I don't remember. Everything after I was hit with that second shot is all a blur.

CLOVER 
I suppose that doesn't really matter right now anyway.

GABRIELLE 
Right. What matters most is finding those women before it's too late.

Skyla looked at Gabrielle.

SKYLA 
So what do we do now?

Gabrielle looked at Skyla. Then Clover, who had the same serious expression on her face. It took Gabrielle' a moment to realize what was happening. She was their queen. So the responsibility for how this village moved forward in dealing with this situation fell on Gabrielle's shoulders. She looked at Xena for a little help with what to do.

XENA 
I think it's time to dust off that metaphorical crown of yours, because it seems like our stay here is going to involve alot more than enjoying a little quality time with your Amazon sisters.

×××

continued

 

Back to the Academy