Gabrielle paced back and forth in the living room as she thought about what the best way to move forward was. Xena sat on the couch watching her while offering her own thoughts on the matter at hand.

GABRIELLE 
Okay we don't know what we're walking into or even where we're going for that matter. So how do we even begin to go about rescuing the captured women?

XENA 
Don't forget that we have no idea what kind of resistance we'll encounter once we do hopefully find them,

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Thanks for the reminder.

Xena stood up and walked walked over to Gabrielle who stopped pacing and looked at her. Xena put her hands on Gabrielle's shoulders as she tried to reassure her that they were going to find those responsible for their situation.

XENA 
Look we have scouts and trackers out there right now looking for any signs of where they went. We can't do much more than we already have until we hear back from them. I know it's difficult but you need to try and calm down. You won't do anyone any good if you wear yourself out worrying before we're able to do anything.

GABRIELLE 
We sent them out a while ago. They should've at least found something by now.

XENA 
I'm sure they'll be back soon. But for now we just have to wait.

Gabrielle took a deep breath as she tried to relax a little.

GABRIELLE 
I know. I just hate having to just sit around like this... 

Gabrielle paused realizing that she had been doing pretty much anything but sitting since the chaos of everything started hours ago.

GABRIELLE 
So to speak.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

GABRIELLE 
Come in.

Fauna opened the door and spoke as she tried to catch her breath after running through the village to get to the queen's house.

FAUNA
(Panting) Queen Gabrielle, the scouts, they're back.

Wasting no time Gabrielle and Xena went outside to meet with the scouts and learn what they found. After hearing everything, Xena, Gabrielle and a number of others met in the village hall as they discussed what was next. The village Hall was the largest building there. It was mostly empty at the moment. But it was typically used for any indoor festivities, important meetings or anything else that required enough space to accommodate a large amount of people. The space when not in use only had a couple tables and chairs. One of which held a group of people was gathered around as they went over the plans that Xena had come up with. She used the information they had obtained from the scouts to put together what she thought was the best strategy for getting everyone out of the slavers camp safely. Gabrielle stood beside her and carefully payed attention to everything Xena said. Because out of all of Xena's skills if there was one thing that she excelled at other than combat, and medicine, it was strategy. After all there was a reason why at one time Xena's army's were such a force on the battlefield. And even with those days long behind her, Gabrielle had seen the effectiveness of Xena's battle experience time and time again. She had seen Xena's plans fail very rarely. And that only tended to be because of extreme unforeseen circumstances. So with the lives of their families and friends on the line, Gabrielle assured the women of the village that could put their trust in Xena to find a way to bring back everyone who was taken.

XENA 
So that's the plan. Everyone clear on what we're doing?

Every one nodded.

XENA 
Good. Now let's get moving.

Everyone left the Hall and got ready. In no time at all there was a decent sized group gathered at the village entrance. Everyone was equipped for what would certainly be an inevitable battle. Since the odds of the slavers simply letting those they captured go were practically zero, they knew that they had a fight a head of them. Xena and Gabrielle stood in front of the group as Gabrielle rallied the crowd with a short but impassioned speech. Amung the group were a couple familiar faces. Clover wanted to get her hands on as many of the slavers as she could for what they did to Skyla who was still recuperating from the poison arrows they hit her with. Kai joined her. She was a good fighter and could move very quickly. Both she and Clover were the best fits out of their group for this particular job. Once Gabrielle finished her speech the group cheered with a rallying cry as they prepared to move out. Xena got on Argo and turned to lead the others out of the village. As she did Gabrielle come over and held out her hand for Xena to pull her up into the saddle behind her as she usually did when they got ready to ride off. Xena looked down at Gabrielle from Argo.

XENA 
What are you doing?

Gabrielle lowered her arm so she wasn't standing there looking ridiculous to the others while she spoke. She knew what Xena was doing and she didn't like it one bit.

GABRIELLE 
Oh no. You are not leaving me behind on this one. 

XENA 
Gabrielle we still don't know what to expect from this. It's much to risky for you to go.

Xena and Gabrielle went back and forth a bit as they quietly argued over Gabrielle going with the group.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) You're not going and thats final.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) I hate it when you do this.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Do what?

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Treat me like a child.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) I do not.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Yes you do. I can't count the times you've had me wait around while you ran straight into one kind of danger or another.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Well excuse me for not wanting to see the woman I love get hurt or killed. I can't afford to always watch your back in the middle of a fight.

CLOVER 
Isn't that more reason for her to go?

Neither Xena or Gabrielle had noticed Clover and Kai come over. Xena looked up and saw the group of Amazons glancing around as they tried to pretend that they all hadn't overheard Xena and Gabrielle arguing. Gabrielle looked away from the crowd slightly embarrassed by the whole scene. Meanwhile Xena cleared her throat as she made an attempt to ignore everyone's eyes on her for bickering with Gabrielle like they were a couple of squaking Harry's. Clover broke the momentary awkward silence as she continued.

CLOVER 
Xena you know full well that I can relate to how you feel. But I think Gabrielle has a point.

XENA 
What? 

CLOVER 
She's our queen and any good ruler wants to lead by example. And I might not have known her for very long but I've seen that she does everything she can to be a good ruler.

XENA 
Clover incase you weren't aware Gabrielle is not a warrior. It's true that she can fend off a couple people if they come her way, but if we're riding straight into who knows how what once we leave here. I'm not going be able to keep an eye on her once things get chaotic.

CLOVER 
And you don't have to. Like I said Gabrielle's our queen. None of us in this whole village want to see anything happen to her. 

Kai spoke up as well.

KAI
Plus she's our sister and friend. I don't know about the other Amazon's you've encountered, but in this village we watch out for our own. Gabrielle's one of us. So trust us no one here will let any harm come to her. 

Kai smirked.

KAI
And if they try those bastards will be dead before they even know what hit 'em.

Gabrielle smiled at Kai and Clover who along with the others had quickly become such good friends. Xena sighed as she held out her hand for Gabrielle. She still didn't like it but they had all made good points for Gabrielle coming with them. Gabrielle smiled as she took Xena's hand and got up in the saddle behind her. As Gabrielle got settled Xena looked back at her.

XENA 
(Joking) You know three against one isn't really fair.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) I've seen you take on much larger numbers so I'm sure you'll be just fine.

So with everyone ready Xena and Gabrielle rode out of the village, leading the rescue party that followed right behind. The group was on the road for a bit when Xena abruptly brought Argo to a stop. The rest of their party followed suite. 

GABRIELLE 
What?

Xena looked around.

XENA  
There's someone else around here. 

She paused for a moment before getting down from her horse and drawing her sword.

XENA 
Or a few someone's I should say.

Following Xena's lead a number of the other's dismounted and readied their weapons. Gabrielle stayed where she was as she looked around. Clover rode up beside her as she kept her eyes on their surroundings. After a few tense moments passed there was rustling in some very tall grass that was so high it obscured the view into the large group of trees that stood behind it. The group got ready to fight as the sound came closer. Finally a figure emerged from the grass and stepped into view. Xena quickly held out her arm indicating not to attack as Gabrielle looked at who stood before them in complete shock.

GABRIELLE 
Ephiny?

×××

Xena lowered her sword as Gabrielle got down from Argo. Neither of them were exspecting to see such a familiar face around where they were. Clover looked at Gabrielle as she began walking over to where Xena stood.

CLOVER 
Queen Gabrielle where are you going?

Gabrielle looked up at Clover who was still seated on her horse and smiled.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay Clover, Xena and I know her.

Clover and Kai got down from their mounts as well and followed Gabrielle, standing a little behind her and Xena. Gabrielle smiled at her old friend happy to see her once again.

GABRIELLE 
Ephiny, it's good to see you.

EPHINY 
You too Gabrielle. Xena.

XENA 
Ephiny.

Xena and Ephiny clasped one another's forearms in the traditional warrior's handshake. Then Gabrielle hugged her dear friend. After the initial greetings Ephiny looked past Xena and Gabrielle, seeing the group of women looking at them.

EPHINY 
What are you two up to now?

XENA
Unfortunately we don't have time to explain everything right now. We're kind of in a hurry to save some Amazon villagers who were kidnapped.

EPHINY 
We've heard about a number of Amazons going missing lately. That's actually what we're doing out here. Seeing if we can find some answers to what's been happening to them. I don't suppose you'd be interested in a few more swords joining you to give you a hand.

GABRIELLE 
We'd appreciate that.

It took a moment for Gabrielle to realize how Ephiny had worded her previous statement.

GABRIELLE 
 Wait did you say we?

EPHINY 
Yeah.

Ephiny gave a quick whistle as two more familiar faces came out from the grass as stood in front of them.

XENA 
Well I don't think we're gonna have much trouble with saving those Amazon's now.

As Xena greeted the three women Clover looked at Gabrielle.

CLOVER 
I'm guessing that those are some more friends of yours.

GABRIELLE 
Clover let me introduce you to Americe and Velasca.

Clover gave a nod to great them. 

XENA 
I think we'll have to save the pleasantries for later. We need to get moving.

EPHINY 
Start going. We'll grab our horses and follow you.

XENA 
Sounds good.

Xena and Gabrielle got back on Argo and everyone got going. They traveled for a while longer. As they rode Xena filled in Ephiny, Amarice and Velasca on the details of the situation. Finally once they were close to where the scouts said they had seen the slavers the group dismounted and continued on foot so it was less likely for them to be noticed. Not long after the group were all crouched behind some bushes as they peeked out to see a good sized encampment. The men that walked around wore the same familar armor that told Xena that they were in the right place. After accessing the area Xena gave a quick rundown of the basics of the plan as a reminder of what she wanted everyone to do.

XENA 
Okay we'll take two groups going in. One will be on offense as they cause a distraction that's where the bulk of our heavy fighter's are gonna be. The second is our smaller infiltration unit. You'll be the ones that go in and actually get the captives out of there. The fighter's that aren't assigned to the first unit will be with you for backup. Kai, Valassca and Amarice you're part of the infiltration party. I think that covers everything.

GABRIELLE 
Wait you never said what I'm supposed to be doing.

XENA 
You'll be keeping watch out here along with a couple other's for any signs of outside trouble.

GABRIELLE 
There you go again with that overprotective thing you do with me. I thought we settled this before we left. You can't just have me sitting out here doing nothing.

XENA 
Gabrielle now is not the time for this conversation. My original plans didn't account for you coming along.

GABRIELLE 
They didn't include Ephiny and the rest of them either but you seem able to fit them in just fine.

Xena made an annoyed sigh. As she thought, Ephiny learned in and quietly spoke to Gabrielle.

EPHINY 
She's still doing that overprotective thing with you isn't she?

GABRIELLE 
Unfortunately. Though don't get me wrong, she's definitely gotten better about it. But then there's times like this when I feel like she still sees me as that helpless farm girl she met a while ago.

Gabrielle began to try and reason with Xena. 

XENA 
No.

GABRIELLE
What do  you mean no?

XENA
Exactly what it sounded like.

Gabrielle was about to make another comeback when Clover spoke up in an effort to avoid another argument between the two. Which this was neither the time nor the place for. Clover cleared her throat to get their attention.

CLOVER 
I think I might have a solution to this problem that while it may not make you both completely happy, it should at least give each of you some of what you want.

Knowing that Clover was right Xena and Gabrielle agreed to listen to what she had in mind.

CLOVER 
We could put queen Gabrielle with the infiltration unit since they're not as likely to be in the middle of a large fight. And I could join that group as well for some extra security.if that would put your mind more at ease Xena.

Xena thought about the idea for a moment.

XENA
I guess between you, Kai, Amarice and Velasca that would make Gabrielle pretty safe.

Xena sighed.

XENA
Alrigh fine. Gabrielle I'll put you with the rest of the infiltration party. Along with Clover.

Gabrielle smiled to Clover thanking her for the hand. Clover gave a quick nod. Before getting started Xena pulled Gabrielle away from  the  group so they could speak privately for a moment.

XENA 
You have to promise me you'll be careful alright. I don't like sending you in there without me with you.

GABRIELLE 
I'll be careful Xena. You don't need to worry so much. Give me some credit.

XENA 
I'm sorry. You know I only do these things because I love you.

GABRIELLE 
I know. But don't worry I'll be fine, you'll see.

Xena gave Gabrielle a light kiss.

XENA 
Stay safe. And stick with the rest of the group okay.

GABRIELLE 
I will.

Xena and Gabrielle rejoined the rest of the group. And with everything was set, everyone spread out and put Xena's plan in motion. Xena lead the charge with Ephiny and a number of others as they began their attack on the camp creating a diversion for Gabrielle and her team to sneak inside and get the captives to safety. With most of the slavers attention on the attack the infiltration unit had no problems getting inside. They snuck through the corridors as they tried to find where the captive women were being held. 

AMARICE 
(Whisper) Do you have any idea where they.are.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) No. But Xena said that they're most likely being kept in some kind of dungeon or jail.

KAI 
(Whisper) That would probably be in the lower level of this place.

CLOVER 
(Whisper) Seems like the best place to start looking.

VALASCA 
(Whisper) Less talking and more walking. We're supposed to be a stealth unit.

The group continued their search. Meanwhile outside Xena kicked a dead slaver off her sword as he fell to the ground. Another came at her from behind but was cut off as Ephiny ran by and sliced through him.

XENA 
Nice one.

EPHINY 
Hey I can't let you have all the fun.

Xena threw a kick at another slaver that came her way and knocked him down as the offensive unit continued to fight.

ARSEN 
What in the name of Ares is going on here?!

Arsen stormed out of his private quarters and grabbed one of his men that were running by. Arsen was a large, muscular man with long dark hair and a thick beard. A fur cape-like cloak hung from his shoulders. He wore simple pants and boots. The only top he had on were leather straps that came down across his torso in an X shape. Arsen glared at his subordinate as he questioned him.

SLAVER
We're being attacked.

ARSEN 
By who?

SLAVER
I heard some of the others saying that it was a bunch of Amazons lead by some warrior woman.

Arsen sneered as he shoved the slaver away.

ARSEN
Xena. She's actually trying to stop me. Such a foolish woman. She can try but she will not get in my way. Those Amazon's are extremely valuable and I'll have the heads of anyone who dares to take anything from me. I don't care what you have to do but I want every single one of those harlets attacking us dead.

Footsteps could be heard through the hall as Gabrielle, Velasca, Amarice, Kai and Clover made their way to the lower level of the building. After some searching they finally found the cell where the women were being held. Gabrielle watched as Kai pulled out a dagger and began to pick the lock.

GABRIELLE 
Where'd you learn how to do that?

KAI 
Just something I picked up from my mother when I was younger. No clue how she picked up the skill though. 

Gabrielle noticed that Kai seemed to be having trouble with the lock.

KAI
Ugh. Damn it!

Frustrated, Kai jammed her dagger into the keyhole and heard a click as the cell unlocked. She pulled out the dagger and opened the door.

AMARICE 
I guess that's one way to do it.

Kai shot a mean look in her direction.

KAI
(Irritated tone) It worked didn't it? 

Gabrielle and the others began helping the women out of the cell. Gabrielle could see that some had appeared to have been beaten. She asked one of them if she was okay and the Amazon told her that a number of them had been beaten and tortured. Gabrielle felt a rage building up inside her for what those monsters had put these women through. As the rest of the captives walked out Gabrielle could hear Amarice getting on Kai's nerves. Gabrielle had realized that Kai had a bit of a short fuse.

AMARICE 
What?

KAI 
You've annoying that's what.

AMARICE 
(Annoyed tone) What did I do?

Clover caught everyone's attention as the captive Amazon's filed out of the cell.

CLOVER 
I hate to break up the love fest but we have trouble.

Everyone else in the group looked to see a bunch of armed slavers heading their way.

AMARICE 
That's not good.

CLOVER 
Queen Gabrielle what do you suggest we do?

Velasca looked at Clover

VELASCA 
Why are you asking her?

CLOVER 
Because she's our queen. I thought that was obvious.

VELASCA 
(Irritated tone) Trust me I'm well aware of her status. 

CLOVER 
Then what's the problem?

VELASCA 
For starters she has minimal battle experience at best. Not to mention all the other problems I have this whole situation.

CLOVER 
Care to elaborate?

VELASCA 
No.

AMARICE 
We don't have time for this. 

CLOVER 
Of course.

Velasca remained silent. Amarice looked at Gabrielle.

AMARICE 
Well?

Gabrielle looked at the guards as they charged straight at them.

GABRIELLE 
We have everyone free now, so I think now would be a really good time to start running.

AMARICE 
Works for me.

KAI 
Sounds good, let's go.

The whole group took off running as the guards chased after them. Fortunately none of the captured Amazon's were injured so they were able to run just fine.

CLOVER 
What now queen Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE 
Stick with the plan. We go out the way we came. Then give Xena and the others the signal.

The group ran through the halls as a number of them fought off any guards they came according. Gabrielle and Clover lead the way with the rest close behind. As she ran  behind the two in front, Velasca glared at Gabrielle. She had never liked the fact that Gabrielle had been given the role of queen. Following the death of the former queen, Melosa. And Melosa's daughter,  she was supposed to be the next in line for the throne. But when Melosa's daughter gave Gabrielle her right of caste before she died, it automatically put Gabrielle ahead of Velasca in the line of succession. Making Gabrielle the Amazon's queen instead of Velasca. And while it happened quite some time ago, she had always held some animosity towards Gabrielle for that fact.  Though she.remained relatively silent about it. Infact very few knew how she really felt about her queen. Xena and Ephiny were really the only ones aware of her resentment. And that was only because of how incredibly perceptive those two were. But since Velasca appeared to have no plans for doing anything to cause concern, they simply let the matter be, figuring she'd get over it all eventually. Clover looked back for a moment to check on everyone and noticed the way Valassca looked at Gabrielle before she saw Clover looking at her and moved her eyes elsewhere. It was so quick that Clover thought she was seeing things, so she ignored it. All the while this was happening Xena, Ephiny and the rest of their team were still fighting the slavers outside. As she fought Ephiny spotted the other group as they ran outside still being being chased by a large group of guards. She yelled over to Xena who was fighting a couple of the slavers. Kicking one and plunging her blade into the chest of another.

EPHINY 
Xena they're coming!

Xena looked up and saw Gabrielle and the others, along with the captured Amazon's running from the slavers behind them. She yelled to the rest of the offensive team to move in and hold off the enemy while the others escaped. Xena began to fight her way towards Gabrielle's group but stopped in her tracks when she saw one of the escaping Amazon's get dropped to the ground as an arrow suddenly hit her. Xena looked above them and saw a number of archers perched along the top of a wall. She also saw someone else standing up there behind them. Xena knew that it must've been whoever was in charge of these slavers. But she didn't have time to focus on that because she knew that everyone was about to be in serious trouble.

XENA 
Archers!

Xena tried to warn the people around her. But she was too late, as arrows began to rain down everywhere. Striking down any one they hit. One by one bodies fell as the flying arrows quickly began turning the rescue mission into a bloodbath.

×××

Arrows rained down as Gabrielle, Clover, Kai, Valassca and Amarice ran from the building with the captured Amazon's they freed. As she ran Gabrielle saw one of the escaping women beside her get hit and fall. 

GABRIELLE 
No!

Gabrielle went to try and pick her up. But was stopped when Clover grabbed her wrist and pulled her along to keep running.

GABRIELLE 
What are you doing?!

CLOVER
There's nothing you can do for her. We can't stop or we'll be next. 

Gabrielle looked back as she saw the woman reaching out for help, begging to not be left behind before getting hit by another arrow. Gabrielle saw the life drain from her eyes as the Amazon dropped her head and layed there motionless. With a heavy heart Gabrielle turned her attention forward as she and the others kept running while more bodies dropped around her. As the chaos continued Xena cut her way through one after another of the guards as she, Ephiny and the rest of the offensive team worked to clear a path for the others as they tried to flee. She heard the sound of an arrow as it flew past her just missing hitting Xena in the shoulder. Xena advanced forward as she tried to reach Gabrielle. The ground under her feet was a mess of blood and carnage as bodies of both friend and foe layed scattered around her. She thrust her blade into an enemy and shove him away as she kept moving. Xena was almost to the other group when Gabrielle finally spotted her.

GABRIELLE 
Xen-uh!

Time slowed as Xena watched an arrow hit Gabrielle from behind. Xena watched as Gabrielle fell.

XENA
Gabrielle!

Xena took off running towards her, easily taking down anyone who dared stand in her way. Clover, who was right next to Gabrielle when she was hit looked on as she abruptly stopped running and quickly went back to help her.

CLOVER 
Queen Gabrielle.

Kai, Valassca and Amarice also stopped when they realized what happened. Xena quickly told them to keep going as she raced passed. Valassca turned and kept going. Kai and Amarice looked at her disapprovingly.

VALASSCA 
 Those two can handle Gabrielle. Us stopping dose nothing but make us easy targets. We need to focus on getting the others to safety.

They didn't like it but Valassca had a point. Xena looked at the group and told them to keep going as she turned her focus to Gabrielle, crouching down beside her.

XENA 
Gabrielle? 

Xena rolled Gabrielle slightly and heard her wince in pain. Xena breathe a small sigh of relief knowing Gabrielle was alive. Gabrielle looked up to see Xena as she felt herself being picked up. Xena put Gabrielle's arm around her neck as she helped her run. Clover kept close as she fought off anyone who came near them. The three caught up with the rest of the group as they fleed the slavers camp. They came to a stop once they were certain they weren't being pursued any longer. Xena brought Argo to a hault in a clearing by a stream as she climbed down with Gabrielle who she had seated in front of her due to Gabrielle's injury. She had Gabrielle sit as she examined her injury. She called for Ephiny and Amarice who came over.

XENA 
Ephiny, take note of how many made it out and anyone else who's injured. Amarice get some water from that stream over there and see if you can find anything we can use as bandages.

As the two went of to do their jobs, Kai and Clover came over to check on Gabrielle.

KAI 
Is she gonna be okay? 

Gabrielle gave them a half-hearted smile. 

GABRIELLE 
Don't worry I've had worse.

Xena looked at Gabrielle.

XENA
Ready?

Gabrielle gave a reluctant nod.

GABRIELLE 
I hate this part.

She let out a painful yell as Xena began pushing the arrow head the rest of the way through the front of Gabrielle's shoulder. Unfortunately it hadn't gone all the way through when she was hit and stopped with just the tip piercing through the front. So Xena had to push the arrow head out the rest of the way in order to cause the least damage when removing the object. Once it was through, Xena broke off the arrow head and pulled out the shaft from the opposite side. As she finished, Amarice came back with the water and some cloth. Xena used it to clean and bandage Gabrielle's wound. Once that was done Xena checked the arrow to see if it was poisoned like the ones that were used on Skyla before. Luckily it seemed that Gabrielle had been hit with just an ordinary arrow. So knowledge of that fact managed to ease Xena's mind a little. 

XENA 
Okay that should do it. 

Gabrielle smiled a little as Ephiny came back over with the rundown of the people injured and casualty numbers.

EPHINY 
The good news is we don't have too many with injuries. And the injuries we do have aren't so serious that they can't easily be dealt with.

By looking around them Xena already had a feeling of what Ephiny was going to say next but she needed to ask anyway to be certain.

XENA 
And the bad news?

EPHINY 
Well as I'm sure you've already noticed there are a lot fewer of us here now then when we begin to escape.

Kai lowered her head in sadness.

KAI 
Some rescue.

No one else said anything. Everyone who was a part of the rescue party agreed with Kai's sentiment. While they had managed to save some, overall most of the captured women were killed during the chaos. As they sat there both Xena and Gabrielle wondered how things had gone so horribly wrong. After doing what they could for the injured, Xena helped Gabrielle back on Argo as she claimed up behind her. While Gabrielle usually rode behind her, with Gabrielle injured it made it more difficult for her to hold on to Xena. So she sat in front as Xena made sure she was secure. The trip back to the village was slow and quiet. The some of the injured rode with those with horses. While the rest walked. During the ride Gabrielle fell asleep as Xena held her. Xena quietly thought about part of the reason she had for Gabrielle and herself staying in the village. She thought it would be safer for Gabrielle. But based on the day's events Xena realized that wasn't completely true. Or was it? After all this had all happened outside the village. 

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) I knew I shouldn't have let her come with us. Why didn't I just leave her back in the village like I had planned to?

Xena looked down at Gabrielle as she placed a light kiss on the top of her head.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) I need to be more careful. If anything happened to her I don't know what I'd do.

The sun was setting as everyone came through the village entrance. A number of the residents came to help get the injured to the infermery. Xena gently woke Gabrielle and helped her down from Argo. As they stood there for a moment Ephiny came over.

EPHINY 
Are you gonna need any help with the injured?

XENA 
I don't think so. But thanks for all the help today.

EPHINY 
Anytime.

As they spoke Valassca walked over.

VALASSCA
We should go. It's getting late.

Gabrielle looked at the three women who had joined in to help them today. Then she looked at Clover.

GABRIELLE 
Clover would it be possible for them to stay here tonight?

CLOVER 
Of course queen Gabrielle. Any friends of yours are more than welcome here for as long as they wish.

AMARICE
I guess if it's no trouble.

EPHINY 
Works for me.

Valassca looked at the others the at Gabrielle.

VALASSCA 
Very well. If Gabrielle insists. Who am I to turn down such a generous offer.

As the three agreed to stay, Fauna and Iris came over. Xena quickly introduced them and asked them to help get Ephiny, Amarice and Valassca settled somewhere once the injured were taken care of. They happily agreed as Xena and Clover took Gabrielle to the infermery. Once Gabrielle was settled, Clover left to go check on Skyla who was still recuperating in another room. After having Gabrielle checked out and learning that she was going to be fine, Xena took Gabrielle home and put her to bed. That night as Gabrielle slept soundly, Xena layed awake. Determined to not allow Gabrielle's time there in that village become like the dangerous life they had led out on the road. So in that moment Xena decided that this place would be their new home. And from that day on she wouldn't allow anything to happen to this village, it's people and especially Gabrielle. And so this would become their new lives. Living in the hidden Sapphire Snow Owl village as the princess and the queen.

×××

ARSEN 
You let them escape?!!

In a fit of rage Arsen swung his arm and knocked everything off of the table near him. The various items made a loud crash as they hit the floor. The unfortunate man who gave Arsen the news began to back away from his boss fearing what might happen to him. But Arsen quickly grabbed him by the shirt and slammed fis face into the table. Holding him there as he drew a dagger and pressed the blade to the slavers face.

ARSEN 
(Angry tone) How difficult is it to capture and contain a bunch of runaway Amazon's with a whole camp of armed men?!

The slaver whimpered in fear.

SLAVER 
Forgive me Arsen. I don't know what happened. We weren't expecting them to attack.

He heard Arsen growl in anger and quickly continued.

SLAVER 
(Nervous tone) On the plus side we stopped alot of them from making it out of here.

Arsen stabbed the table right next to the man's face.

ARSEN
(Angry tone) Idiot! Dead Amazon's didn't do me any good! How am I supposed to sell a pile of corpses?!

SLAVER 
(Terrified sobbing) I'm sorry. Please, please don't kill me.

Arsen leaned down to look his subordinate in the eye.

ARSEN 
Give me one good reason why I shouldn't just gut you right here, right now.

The man quickly thought of anything he could say that might help save his life.

SLAVER
Uhh, uhh. Information! Yeah we might have gotten some very useful information that I think you'll find very interesting.

ARSEN 
Is that so?

SLAVER
Yes. And based on what we learned I think you'll be happy to know that we should be able to obtain far more than what you lost today.

A sinister smile crossed Arsen's face as he realized what the man was saying.

ARSEN 
(Ominous tone) I see. Well it seems after countless years of waiting, my patience has at last finally begun to payoff.

The morning was peaceful as a small bird came to perch on the open windowsill. It hopped about, singing its happy tune only to be scared off when a painful groan came from inside the room. 

XENA 
Gabrielle?!

Xena entered the room to see Gabrielle sitting on the edge of the bed gripping at her shoulder that had been injured by an arrow during their escape from the slaver camp a number of days before. Xena walked over and tried to get Gabrielle to lay back down.

XENA 
You shouldn't be moving around too much.

Gabrielle swatted Xena's hand away.

GABRIELLE 
(Annoyed tone) Xena it's been days since we've gotten back. I can't stay in bed all the time.

XENA 
I know that. But you're still not completely healed yet. And you're clearly still in pain.

Gabrielle gave Xena a slightly annoyed look.

GABRIELLE 
I'm pretty sure it's mostly due to not being mobile.

Xena looked away as she tried to play innocent. Ever since they had returned, Xena had insisted that Gabrielle needed to stay in bed for the most part while she healed. Gabrielle sighed.

GABRIELLE 
Look I get that you worry about me, but I'm a grown woman Xena. And I'm perfectly capable of knowing what my body can and can't handle. Besides being held up in my bed all day and night isn't really a good look for a competent queen to rule her people by. Especially when we're in the middle of dealing with a crisis.

After everything that happened with the rescue, the whole village had been on edge. It was deemed too dangerous for anyone to venture too far from the village boarders. Only a select few were sent out to do a simple survey of the arena just as a precaution against the fact that the slavers may have obtained the whereabouts of the village. They didn't think it was likely due to how quickly they were able to get to the slavers camp. And from an early age everyone in the village was taught that they were to guard the knowledge of its location with their lives. Infact the only reason that Gabrielle, Xena and the other outside Amazon's were even allowed into the village was because of Gabrielle's status as queen and that she vouged for the others that the location would never be revealed. But now with everyone on high alert, Gabrielle felt that it was her responsibility to reassure the women of the Sapphire Snow Owl Tribe that they hadn't made a terrible mistake in opening up their home to her, Xena and the rest of the outside Amazon's.

XENA 
Gabrielle.

Xena sat on the edge of the bed next to Gabrielle. Gabrielle could tell that Xena was about to make the same speech about not wanting to see her get hurt. And only trying to do what she felt was best to Gabrielle safe. All of which Gabrielle had heard countless times before. And while it touched Gabrielle to her very soul to know that Xena loved her so much that she would quite literally walk through Tartarus and back for her, she still couldn't stand when Xena treated her as thought she was some fragile little thing that needed to be constantly guarded or she would shatter into a million pieces. Gabrielle held up her hand to stop Xena before she got started.

GABRIELLE 
No Xena, I already know what you're gonna say. And look I get it, but you just can't keep me sheltered from the dangers around us. Back when I first went with you I admit that might've been a little naive and rash at times. But we both know I've grown and matured alot since then. I'm not that same sheltered village girl you met all that time ago. After everything we've been through together, I thought you could see that.

Gabrielle gave Xena a sincere look as she held Xena's hand in hers. Xena sat there quietly. Seemingly deep in thought. After a few moments she finally spoke.

XENA 
Gabrielle how would you feel about staying here permanently?

Gabrielle gave her a confused look.

GABRIELLE
What? Where did that come from? Never mind don't try changing the subject.

XENA 
I'm not.

GABRIELLE
Okay now I'm really confused.

XENA 
You wanna protect this village and it's people right?

GABRIELLE 
Yes?

XENA 
And even when we deal with this threat, whose to say what might lay down the road for these people. With them spending their whole lives practicality cut off from the outside world I'm certain that they aren't used to dealing with such things.

GABRIELLE
(Uncertain tone) I suppose you have a point.

XENA 
Well then don't you think that you we could really help them by staying here? Think of all the good we could do if we stay.

Gabrielle thought about what Xena was saying for a moment.

GABRIELLE 
I Guess we can help this village really thrive and not worry so much about being found. But what about you? I have a really hard time seeing you being content with just staying in one place like this.

XENA 
Nah, this place tends to be pretty lively so I can find plenty to do around here. So whatdaya say?

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
I'd really like that.

Xena smiled as she placed a light kiss on Gabrielle's forehead.

XENA
Alright then. Looks like we've got some good news to tell everyone now.

At that moment there was a knock on the front door. Xena got up and answered.

XENA 
Oh Skyla, good to see you back on your feet. 

Skyla smiled as Xena invited her inside.

SKYLA 
Thanks. I'm feeling much better now.

XENA 
I'm sure Gabrielle will be happy to hear that.

SKYLA
Actuality Clover and the others told me what happened. Is Gabrielle okay?

XENA 
She will be. Would you like to see her?

Xena lead Skyla to their room. 

SKYLA 
Knock, knock.

Gabrielle looked away from the window she had been looking out and smiled when she saw Skyla standing in the doorway.

GABRIELLE
Hey. You're finally out of the infermery. Come in. You feeling better?

SKYLA 
Much. Though it looks like the same thing can't be said for you.

Skyla walked over and pulled a chair over to the side of the bed as she sat down.

GABRIELLE 
It's really not that bad. I'll be on my feet in a couple more days.

Gabrielle leaned closer to whisper so Xena wouldn't hear her.

GABRIELLE 
()whisper) Although I'd already be back out there if it wasn't for a certain someone coddling me like I'm a small child.

XENA 
You know I can hear you?

Gabrielle and Skyla looked over to see Xena standing there with her arms folded across her chest as she raised an eyebrow at Gabrielle who shrugged.

GABRIELLE 
What? You are.

XENA 
Riiiight.

Xena sighed.

XENA 
Look you two have fun I'm gonna go outside. 

Xena walked over and gave Gabrielle a little kiss.

XENA
Yell if you need anything.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) I'm sure we'll manage.

Xena left as Gabrielle and Skyla sat and talked for a while. Gabrielle gave Skyla the details of what happened when they went to rescue the captured Amazon's.

SKYLA 
Oh yeah I think I met your friends that came back with you. I admit I was really upset to hear how bad things turned out.

GABRIELLE
I know. I'm so sorry we couldn't save many of your sisters.

Skyla gave Gabrielle a sad smile.

SKYLA 
I appreciate that. I know you did everything you guys could. I'm just glad you, Xena and the others that did get out managed to make it back.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks.

There was a moment of silence between them.

GABRIELLE 
Skyla can I ask you something?

SKYLA 
Of course. You are my queen and friend after all.

GABRIELLE 
About this village. I know it's pretty cut off from the outside, but I was wondering just why that is.

Skyla sighed as she ran her fingers through her hair as Gabrielle saw an expression on her face that looked as if she was conflicted about something.

GABRIELLE 
Did I say something wrong?

Skyla put her hand back down.

SKYLA
No it's not that. It's just that there are things about this place where if the wrong people on the outside knew about what lays hidden here, it could throw the whole world as we know into chaos.

GABRIELLE 
I had no idea. 

Gabrielle paused for a moment as she thought of something.

GABRIELLE 
But if that's true why did you allow Xena and myself to come here in the first place? Plus now with the other Amazon's doesn't that seem like a big risk to take if what you're guarding is so important?

Skyla smiled.

SKYLA 
I don't think so. I like to pride myself on being an excellent judge of character. And I could tell from the moment I met you and Xena that we could trust you both. And as for your other friends, well I figured if the two of you were good with them, then they were just fine to come here. Buuut...

GABRIELLE 
Buuut?

SKYLA
What I'm about to tell you might be better for you to just keep between you and Xena just to be on the safe side okay.

GABRIELLE 
Okay. You can trust us.

Skyla smiled.

Skyla 
I know.

Gabrielle sat there as Skyla prepared to tell her one of the secrets of the hidden Sapphire Snow Owl Tribe.

×××

continued

 

Back to the Academy