Xena stood outside of her and Gabrielle's home as she looked out at the village. She leaned casually against the wall as she spotted Clover coming her way.

CLOVER 
Hey Xena.

XENA 
Hey.

CLOVER 
How's Gabrielle.

XENA 
Better. Skyla's actually visiting her right now.

CLOVER 
Good to hear. 

XENA 
Yeah.it's good to see that Skyla's back up and about too.

CLOVER 
Sure is.

Clover looked away for a moment seemingly trying to hide her thoughts. But Xena already had a pretty good idea of what was going through her mind. Xena crossed her arms as she smirked.

XENA 
So you ever plan on telling her?

CLOVER
What are you talking about?

XENA 
Come on Clover I'm a warrior rememder. So I'm pretty darnn good at reading people.

CLOVER 
(Dry tone) Oh yeah? Then just what do you think you've been reading from me?

XENA 
That you have feelings for Skyla.

CLOVER 
Well of course I do. She's my best friend.

XENA 
Don't play dumb, you know what I ment.

CLOVER
I... I don't know what you're talking about.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Sure you don't.

Clover was quiet for a moment which confirmed Xena's suspicion.

XENA
So why not tell her?

CLOVER 
Are you crazy?!

XENA
Hey I get it. I felt the same way before I told Gabrielle. The thought of telling the one you love how you feel can be terrifying. 

CLOVER 
So how did you do it?

XENA 
It took a while to work up the courage, but when I did...

Clover could see the smile on Xena's face.

CLOVER
You and queen Gabrielle have something really special don't you?

XENA 
We do. And let me tell you, at the end of the day what we have together makes everything we've been through all worth it.

Clover smiled.

CLOVER
You think Skyla and I could have that someday?

XENA 
Well you'll never know unless you open up to her now will ya?

Xena gave Clover a friendly pat on the shoulder as she went back inside while Clover stood there thinking about what Xena said for a moment before walking off. Xena went to the bedroom to check on Gabrielle. As she walked in Skyla who was sitting in a chair she pulled up next to the bed, looked at her.

SKYLA 
Oh good. I think it might be a good idea for you to hear this too.

XENA 
Huh?

GABRIELLE
Skyla was about to tell me something that's apparently very important about the village.

XENA 
Okay?

Unsure of what was going on Xena sat on the edge of the bed next to Gabrielle who was stll sitting there leaning back comfortably on a couple pillows. Gabrielle returned her attention to Skyla.

SKYLA 
Okay as I was telling Gabrielle this village holds some special secrets that need to be kept hidden from the outside world. Things that if discovered could drastically change the balance of the whole world as we know it.

XENA 
Sounds serious. Are you sure you should be telling us this then?

SKYLA
Yes. I'm actually starting to think that there was a reason for us meeting the two of you.

GABRIELLE 
Like what?

SKYLA 
I've seen how devoted you are to all of us here. Going as far as risking your own lives to save us. Even though you've only arrived here a short time ago. So I think you've both more than proven yourselves trustworthy. Not because you're our queen and her um, girlfriend?

Skyla wasn't exactly sure how Xena and Gabrielle defined their relationship other then the fact that they clearly loved one another. But when she didn't get any objectons from either of them about it she continued on to get to her point.

SKYLA 
Anyway as I was saying I know that we can trust you which is why I'm telling you this. And because I think it's in the best interest of our village.

XENA 
Okay so what's this big secret?

Skyla pulled out a scroll that she had with her and handed it to Gabrielle who curiously looked at Skyla as she opened it to start reading as Skyla began to explain.

SKYLA 
You see long ago the ancestors of our tribe were given an incredible duty and gift from Artemis herself because of their loyalty and devotion to the goddes. And how much they truly cared for all that they had be given. They were exceptionally kind people. Going above and beyond anything that Artemis had seen from not just her chosen people, but all of humanity as a whole. Even after a number of immense hardships that would turn even the kindest of hearts cold fell on the tribe, the pure goodness within them still remained unchanged. Time and time again Artemis was touched by the unbreakable spirits of those women. It was around that time an all out war was brewing after a group of people driven by power, hate and greed made a discovery that the gods had never intended for humanity to uncover due to fear of it being miss used.

XENA 
So why not just destroy what ever it was?

SKYLA
No one knows. But some say it was either because they didn't want to or for whatever reason they couldn't.

XENA 
(Scoffing) Typical incompetent god's.

Gabrielle nudged Xena to keep her distaste for the gods to herself incase she insulted Skyla. Xena gave her a questioning look and shrugged as if asking what she said wrong and Skyla just smiled at the two. Showing that Xena's comment hadn't offended her in the least as she continued.

SKYLA 
So anyway in order to avoid certain catastrophe the gods agreed that they needed to find guardians worthy of protecting such a vital secret.

GABRIELLE 
But what was it that was clearly so incredibly important and powerful where it needed to be so carefuily guarded from anyone getting a hold of it?

SKYLA 
Oh just a little thing known as the Fountain of Youth.

Xena snickered.

XENA 
Good one. But come on everyone knows that the fountain of youth is just some crazy old legend.

Skyla gave Xena a dead serious look.

SKYLA 
It's not just some legend. The fountain of youth is real and it's hidden right here in this village.

Gabrielle could tell that Skyla truly just wasn't making this up for the fun of it. She sat there in awe of what she and Xena had just learned. Grasping the weight of the responsibility that the two now had to keep this sacred secret.

GABRIELLE 
(Breathless tone) Wow. That's definitely not what I was expecting. 

Skyla smirked at Gabrielle.

SKYLA
I told you this place was really something didn't I?

GABRIELLE 
Well yeah but I think you might've been under selling it by quite a bit.

Skyla shrugged a little.

SKYLA 
I guess if you live here you're whole life around it, it kinda losses a bit of it's mysticism.

GABRIELLE 
So how exactly did your ancestors come to actually live here?

SKYLA 
Well with the gods all in agreement that the fountain needed to be protected, Artemis proposed that the tribe she had watched over and grown to care for so deeply should become the guardians of the fountain and the beautiful land around it. Aftter alot of convincing eventually Artemis got the other gods to agree. But only on the condition that the tribe would stay hidden away and cut off from the outside world.

XENA 
That doesn't sound like much of a reward to me.

SKYLA 
And I guess on it's own it wouldn't be. But once the tribe had selflessly accepted what they felt was an honor given to them by the goddess, Artemis blessed the land to always be lush and plentiful. And vowed to keep watch over the tribe for the rest of days to ensure that they would never want for anything.

Gabrielle sat in amazement of the story Skyla just told them.

GABRIELLE 
I... wow. I don't know what to say.

Xena chuckled.

XENA 
(Joking) Gabrielle, speechless, now that's amazing.

Gabrielle rolled her eyes at Xena's comment.

GABRIELLE 
Anyway I can't tell you how much it means to have you trust us with this Skyla. But are you sure the rest of the tribe is gonna be okay with you telling us?

SKYLA 
Gabrielle you're the queen of our people. And based on everything you and Xena have done for us I don't think it would be right for you not to know. 
(Joking) And if anyone has a problem with that they can just kiss my backside and we can deal with them later.

Gabrielle laughed at her friends nonchalant attitude. 

SKYLA 
Welp...

Skyla stood up and moved the chair she was sitting in back where she got it, before coming back to stand next to the bed as she looked down at Gabrielle.

SKYLA 
I should get going and let you rest up. I want you completely back on your feet your highness.

GABRIELLE 
Okay. Thanks for stopping by Skyla.

XENA 
See ya.

Gabrielle waved as Skyla left the room. She smiled as she leaned back against her pillow.

GABRIELLE 
Wow just when I thought this village couldn't get any more amazing.

XENA
No kidding.

Xena got in bed next to Gabrielle and put her arm around her as they just relaxed there quietly for a bit. The calm was all too soon interrupted when there was a loud pounding on the font door.

XENA 
(Sighs) I'll get it.

She got up and went downstairs. As she answered the door, Xena saw Iris, Kai and Ephiny.

XENA 
If you're here to see Gabrielle, she's upstairs.

IRIS
We are here to see queen Gabrielle but I'm afraid it's not a social visit.

Xena looked at the three, seeing the serious looks on their faces. She quickly moved to allow them inside.

XENA 
Come in. What's going on?

Everyone walked in as Xena shut the door and turned to face them.

EPHINY
We've got trouble Xena. We've received word from the scouts that the slavers are heading this way as we speak.

XENA 
They can't actually know where we are.

KAI
Some of the women that we managed to bring back said that they were tortured until some broke and gave up the village's location.

XENA 
Shit!

GABRIELLE 
We need to stop them.

Xena turned around to see Gabrielle standing behind her.

XENA 
What are you doing out of bed?

GABRIELLE 
I'm fine. I could hear everything from upstairs so I had to come down.

Gabrielle looked at the others as she went into queen mode.

GABRIELLE 
Now tell me everything that the scouts found. 

×××

Gabrielle sat down on the couch in the living room as Xena stood beside her. Both looking at Ephiny, Iris and Kai as they stood before them, having just told the two that there was trouble.

GABRIELLE 
Okay what are we dealing with?

EPHINY 
According to the Intel from the scouts there's a large number of armed men heading right this way.

XENA 
How many?

EPHINY
It looks like at least 70. Possibly 100.

GABRIELLE 
That many just for one village?

Iris 
It sounds like whoever's running things really wants us Amazon's.

KAI
Probably more like they want something else from our village.

Iris gave Kai an admonishing look.

IRIS
Kai Shush.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay Iris. Skyla told us about the importance of what you have here.

IRIS 
She did what?!

XENA 
Skyla felt that as queen, Gabrielle should know. But you have nothing to fear from either of us ever revealing what we know to anyone.

KAI
I take it that you know too then Xena?

GABRIELLE 
As a rule Xena and I don't tend to hide things from one another.

KAI 
Queen Gabrielle you shouldn't have told her. I get that you two are together but Xena isn't an Amazon. The fact that she was even allowed here in the first place is unprecedented.

GABRIELLE
First of all Xena's been a great ally to the Amazon people. Just ask Ephiny.

EPHINY 
It's true. Xena's done more than you could imagine for our people. I'm honored to call her both an ally and a friend. You won't find anyone else outside the Amazon nation that's more dedicated to helping our people whenever we're in need.

XENA 
And Gabrielle didn't tell me anyway. Skyla did. I was there with Gabrielle and she told us both because she felt it was in the best interest of the village. 

Kai sighed.

KAI 
I'm gonna have a good talk with that woman later.

GABRIELLE 
I know we're relatively new here but believe me when I say that none of us want to see anything happen to this village.  

KAI 
Fine but what about her and the other two?

Kai motioned to Ephiny.

GABRIELLE 
Ephiny, Amarice and Valassca might not be from this tribe, but I give you my word as queen that they would do anything to help our people. No matter what tribe they're from.

IRIS 
I guess if Gabrielle says it's okay to trust them..

EPHINY 
Dose anyone wanna fill me in here?

Short on time Gabrielle gave Ephiny a very quick explanation of why the village was so important. Ephiny then gave her word to the others that she would never repeat what she knew about their home.

XENA 
This is great but we have more pressing issues to deal with at the moment.

GABRIELLE 
Right. Iris, go out and make sure everyone takes shelter. But be careful not to cause a panic.

XENA 
Exactly. The last thing we need right now is this place erupting in chaos.

IRIS 
Understood my queen.

XENA
Ephiny, Kai round up Clover and Fauna then meet us in the village hall.

KAI 
Got it.

With that Iris, Kai and Ephiny left to do their individual jobs. Gabrielle stood up from the couch.

GABRIELLE 
I guess we should head over to the hall.

XENA 
Let's go.

It didn't take long before everyone requested was gathered in the village hall. Around the large table stood Xena, Gabrielle, Ephiny, Kai, Clover and Fauna. Xena filled Clover and Fauna in on the situation. Xena specifically picked everyone there for a reason. Gabrielle was obvious, with her being queen she should want to know what was going on. Plus Gabrielle insisted on being there anyway. Apart from Xena Ephiny, Clover and Kai were probably the best fighters they had. So it made sense for them to be involved in the strategy for the village's defense. And as for Fauna, while she was more resurved, the woman was exceptionally intelligent. Xena had taken note of that fact and knew that she would be invaluable for helping to come up with a way to defend against such a large threat. With everyone that was there it wasn't long until the group had a well thought up plan all layed out.

XENA 
Alright let's round up as many fighters as we can and form our first line of defense outside the village. We don't want those bastards getting anywhere near the village entrance. Once we're out there we'll make sure the entrance is sealed. And once it's closed no one gets in or out until this is over got it?

Everyone nodded.

XENA 
Good. Next we have our interior defense. Which while we hopefully won't need it, I'm not taking any chances here. So I want everyone who isn't involved in defending kept hidden as far back in the village as possible. And the fighters will be kept in front laying in wait to ambush the enemy. If they get that far and we catch em by surprise it should give us the edge we need to drive them back. We're also gonna have multiple traps set up around the perimeter of the village. That army is not taking anything from this village.

Everyone gave a yell as Xena finished going over the plan. She gave Fauna a nod, silently thanking her for assisting in coming up with the plan and giving Xena any important information about the village that she thought useful for the situation. Fauna gave a shy smile in response.

XENA 
Alright move.

With those words everyone in the room scattered to do their part in preparing for the upcoming battle. Once the preparations were complete Xena looked out the window from their house and saw every fighter available gathering in the center of the village. Eeryone was armed and ready to head out and cut of the slavers army before they reached the village.

GABRIELLE 
Looks like everyone's ready.

Xena looked to see Gabrielle also glancing outside. She turned to face Gabrielle as she placed her hands on her shoulders.

XENA
I'm heading out now. I want you to stay here and find someplace safe to sit and wait until this is over.

GABRIELLE 
What are you talking about I'm going out there with the rest of you.

XENA 
No you're not. Especially not after what happened last time.

Gabrielle scowled as she casually brushed Xena's hands off her.

GABRIELLE 
Xena we're not doing this again. I'm going out there and fighting for this village with you and that's final.

Xena gave Gabrielle her own scowl in return.

XENA 
(Angry tone) No you're not. We don't have time for this. You're staying right here. End of discussion.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Why because you said so.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Yes and because it's for your own good.

Now Gabrielle was really mad. There Xena was once again treating her like a child. Gabrielle was not going to simply stand by and allow everyone around her to fight for this place and it's people while she didn't lift a finger to help. That wasn't the kind of person or queen Gabrielle was or wanted to be. So angerd about the whole situation and frustration by Xena's overprotectiveness Gabrielle started yelling.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) My own good?! Xena it's my job to lead these people. Not only during the good times, but also during times of struggle. Like what's happening now.

XENA 
(Angry tone) We can talk about this later. For now you're staying here. And that's all there is to it.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) You can't make stay here.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Watch me.

Xena turned away and began to head outside.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) Damn it Xena I'm these people's queen! 

Tired of arguing and having more important things to do right then, Xena turned back around and looked Gabrielle. Out of frustration and without thinking Xena yelled back at Gabrielle.

XENA 
(Angry tone) These people's queen?! You were just giving the title by luck! The only reason you were even giving the option was because of a foolish, dying girl who had no idea what she was doing, just like you! Damn it you're not even a real Amazon! 

Xena saw a very hurt look appear on Gabrielle's face and instantly regretted the words that came out of her mouth. She knew what being an Amazon meant to Gabrielle. Xena just wanted to keep Gabrielle safe and in the heat of the moment said something that she hadn't actually meant. Xena tried to apologize, but it was too late. The damage was already done.

XENA 
Gabrielle I...

Gabrielle looked at Xena with a mix of anger, pain and disappointment in her eyes as she took a step away from her.

GABRIELLE 
How could you say that?

XENA 
I'm sorry. I don't mean...

Xena went to put her hand on Gabrielle's arm but had it angerly shoved away.

XENA 
Gabrielle...

GABRIELLE 
(Angry/sad tone) No Xena, I don't wanna hear it. 

Gabrielle moved around Xena and stormed outside. Angerly slamming the door behind her. Leaving Xena standing in their living room by herself.

×××

Ephiny and Clover were finishing preparing for the upcoming battle when they saw Gabrielle exit her and Xena's house and walk their way.

CLOVER 
Queen Gabrielle we're just about done with the preparations.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) That's great.

Ephiny could tell that Gabrielle seemed upset as she walked passed them.

EPHINY 
Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Don't worry about it. We have more important things to do right now.

Gabrielle continued passed them and they heard Xena calling Gabrielle as she came outside as well.

XENA 
Gabrielle wait. I didn't mean it.

Clover and Ephiny watched as Xena walked passed them after Gabrielle who just kept walking without even looking at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) I told you I don't wanna hear it Xena.

XENA 
Gabrielle I'm sorry.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) We need to finish getting ready to defend the village.

Xena stopped walking as she watched Gabrielle keep going. She sighed, rubbing her forehead in frustration as she turned around just noticing Ephiny and Clover.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) What are you looking at?!

EPHINY/ CLOVER 
Nothing.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Good. Let's move out.

Xena turned back around, got on Argo and began moving towards the village entrance. Ephiny and Clover looked at each other for a moment as Ephiny shrugged before they followed Xena with the rest of the group. During all of this Iris and a few others had been moving everyone who wouldn't be involved in the battle to find shelter in the far back of the village, hopefully far enough away from where any of the fighting would be taking place. Fauna and Amarice along with some other villagers were just finishing setting up traps near the entrance. Xena, Ephiny, Valassca, Clover, Skyla, Kai and a number of other fighter's began walking outside the village. After walking through the tunnel, the group came out from behind the waterfall that kept the entrance hidden. As she came out from the falls, Xena saw Gabrielle standing a little ways ahead. She stood there soak and wet from walking right through the falls without using anything to keep dry. She held her staff standing at her side as she looked out to see when the enemy was coming. Xena and the others walked over with all but Xena stopping a little behind her. Xena walked up beside Gabrielle as she looked out for the enemy. Keeping her focus ahead Xena stopped next to her.

XENA 
Anything?

GABRIELLE
(Cold tone) Not yet.

Even standing a few feet away the other's could feel the tension between Gabrielle and Xena. Even though the two tried to hide it, they failed miserably. The rest of the group decided to stay back until things got started. Everyone stood in the awkward silence as they waited for the first signs of the slavers army approaching. A little later Xena finally spotted the enemy coming their way. She looked back at everyone. 

XENA 
Here they come.

Xena drew her sword as a few in the group blew loud horns, sending a message back to the village that the attack was beginning. Xena prepared to give the signal to charge. But was cut off when Gabrielle quickly raised her staff and yelled.

GABRIELLE 
For the village!!

The Amazon's roared as they ran towards the oncoming force. Charging right past Gabrielle and Xena. A number of women mounted on horseback came galloping by. Gabrielle motioned for one of them to stop and she climbed up behind the woman, telling her to get to the front of the group. Clover looked at Xena for a moment then got on her horse.

CLOVER 
I'll head to the front with queen Gabrielle. She won't leave my sight.

Xena gave her a quick nod thanking Clover for keeping watch over Gabrielle for her. Clover sped off after the front of the pack as the battle to save the secret Amazon village of Saphire Snow Owl Tribe began. On the other side of the battlefield Arsen stood overlooking the battle as it ensued. He watched the fighting as one of his underlings brought over his sword.

SLAVER 
All sharpened and ready to go Arsen.

He took the weapon a gave it a quick look before sliding it into it's sheath on his side. He chuckled as an evil grin crossed his face. Arsen got on his steed and rode into the battle.

ARSEN 
The time has finally come. Soon those women, that village and everything in it will all be mine. And I pitty any of those damned harlets who dare stands in my way.

 In the middle of the battlefield Xena ran her blade into an enemy that came up behind her. She pulled it out and in an effortless motion slashed another slaver that was in front of her. She looked to one side and saw Valassca and Kai among others fighting against the enemy. To the other side in the distance was Ephiny. Xena couldn't see Gabrielle. She just hoped that wherever Gabrielle was she had Clover, Skyla or someone nearby in case she was in trouble. Unfortunately Xena didn't have the time to look for her as she continued to fight off the enemy. Cutting down another one as she marched forward, deeper into the battle.

GABRIELLE 
Skyla behind you!

Skyla quickly ducked as Gabrielle swung her staff, cracking a slaver that was about to attack right in his jaw as he spun around and and dropped face down on the ground. Skyla looked from the slaver to Gabrielle and smiled.

SKYLA 
Nice one.

Gabrielle smirked as the two continued to fight. Next to Gabrielle and Skyla was Clover who charged into an enemy and brought the blade of her battle axe down deep into his shoulder and neck. As the slaver dropped to his knees, she put her boot on his chest for leverage and yanked her weapon from his flesh. Kicking him over as died. The battle waged on for some time. Both sides suffering casualties. But dispite the slavers having the numbers advantage, Xena, Gabrielle and the other Amazon's seemed to be holding them off pretty effectively. Everyone fought hard as the enemy numbers began to thin out around them. Things seemed to be going according to plan until Gabrielle heard painful groan. She recognized the voice and quickly looked around amidst the chaos and saw Clover laying face down on the ground in front of Skyla.

SKYLA 
Clover!

GABRIELLE 
No.

Gabrielle raced over as knelt down beside Skyla and Clover.

GABRIELLE 
Clover.

Gabrielle saw a large gash in Clovers back. 

GABRIELLE 
What happened?

SKYLA 
One of the slavers caught me completely off guard. I thought I was done for. But at the last minute Clover came out of nowhere and shoved me out of harms way. But in doing that, she left herself wide open and took the hit instead.

Gabrielle saw tears in Skyla's eyes as she looked down at Clover. She saw an enemy laying dead behind her with a wound in his stomach. She also noticed that Skyla had a bloody sword next to her on the ground. It wasn't difficult to connect that after Clover took the hit for Skyla, in turn Skyla had taken down the slaver who was responsible. Gabrielle looked down as she heard Clover wince in pain.

CLOVER 
Come on it's not that bad. I'm just glad you're okay.

SKYLA 
That was really stupid. Why would you throw yourself in front of danger like that?

Clover smiled.

CLOVER 
Because I couldn't let you get hurt. I almost lost you once already, I couldn't let that happen again.

SKYLA 
...Clover.

GABRIELLE 
We need to get her back to the village.

Gabrielle quickly called over a few of the nearby women and had them bring Clover back to the village. Skyla watched as they carried Clover away. Gabrielle put her hand on Skyla's shoulder in an attempt to comfort her.

GABRIELLE 
She'll be okay Skyla.

SKYLA 
I hope you're right Gabrielle. I really do.

Gabrielle and Skyla stood up. As they did they heard an unfamiliar voice coming from behind them.

?
I really don't think taking your little friend back to the village is going to do her much good when it's going up in flames.

Gabrielle and Skyla turned around and saw Arsen. Though they didn't know his name, it was obvious that he was the leader of the slavers that they had been dealing with. Gabrielle angerly clenched her staff as she stared up at the much larger man in defiance.

GABRIELLE 
What are you talking about?!

ARSEN 
Just if I can't get in the normal way like you and the rest of your little Amazonian bitches, I'm just going to make my own way in.

Gabrielle watched as Arsen pulled a small bundle from his pocket and held it in his hand.

GABRIELLE 
What is that?

ARSEN 
A little something I can throw on the ground and it creates a smoke signal. And once I do catapults will launch gigantic boulders into the cliffs behind you. Giving me and my men a nice, easy entrance to stroll right into your village and take everything and anything we want.

GABRIELLE 
I won't let you.

Arsen laughed.

ARSEN 
You think you can stop me, little girl.

Gabrielle glared at him as she held her staff ready to fight.

GABRIELLE 
Just watch me.

ARSEN 
(Condicending tone) Oh ho aren't you a feisty little thing. Look at the cute little amazon with her little stick. Now why don't you put that down before you get hurt, little girl.

Arsen began to laugh. But quickly stopped when he felt Gabrielle crack him hard in the jaw with her staff, snapping his face to the side. He let out a low growl as he turned his head back to look Gabrielle who had a dead serious expression on her face as she stood up to Arsen.

GABRIELLE 
How's that for feisty. And I'm not a little girl. I'm a queen.

Arsen saw red as her looked down at Gabrielle.

ARSEN 
(Sinister tone) Okay little queen, you wanna play with the adults? Fine. Now you're gonna find out what happens when you piss off Arsen,"The Grave Filler".

Arsen threw the smoke bomb on the ground. Sending out the signal to his catapults.

GABRIELLE 
No!

Gabrielle tried to attack Arsen but he grabbed her arm and spun her around as he held her in his tight grip facing the village. 

SKYLA 
Gabrielle!

Arsen grabbed Gabrielle's face with his other hand and held it straight.

ARSEN
(Evil tone) Now you're gonna stand here and watch as everything in you're precious village becomes mine for the taking. Including your little Amazonian subjects. But don't worry since you are queen I'll be sure to make sure you go first.

Gabrielle could do nothing but watch as a gigantic boulder was hurled from the catapult and crashed into the side of the cliffs near the waterfall entrance to the village. Hearing the loud crash Xena shoved the enemy she was fighting away and looked towards where the sound came from. That was when she saw another boulder as it flew overhead and pounded into the cliff causing more damage to the natural protective exterior walls of the village.

XENA
Damn it.

Xena looked towards the direction it came from and took off running in the direction to try and stop the catapults. As Gabrielle struggled to get out of Arsen's grip. Skyla was about to go after him when he pulled Gabrielle's head back.

ARSEN 
Uh uh uh. You stay right there. Make any stupid moves and I'll snap your queen's pretty little neck.

Skyla glared at Arsen as she stood there unable to do anything without running the risk of Arsen killing Gabrielle right there.

ARSEN 
Good girl. 

Arsen pulled back a little on Gabrielle's head just to get a reaction from her, which he did. But while he thought it was fear in was actually Gabrielle becoming filled with rage and hatred for Arsen as she watched what he was doing to this sacred place and it's people that had grown to mean so much to her. Gabrielle clenched her staff that she still held at her side as Arsen spoke softly into her ear.

ARSEN
(Menacing whisper) Now let's sit back, relax and watch the show. And then the real fun will begin.

×××

There was a loud crash as a catapult let loose another boulder and sent it careening into the cliffs surrounding the amazon village. Chunks of rock and rubble fell away as bit by bit, the barrier began to weaken. Arsen laughed as he held Gabrielle hostage and forced her to watch as his men continued their assault on the cliffs. Gabrielle tried to get free but Arsen kept a tight hold on her. Skyla was a few feet away from Gabrielle and Arsen. She stood there frustrated that she couldn't do anything without the very high chance of Arsen killing Gabrielle as soon as she went to make a move. Gabrielle could see Skyla was obviously worried about her, but right now Gabrielle's concern wasn't for herself but for the village and all the people in it. She couldn't let these slavers just take everything from these people. Her subjects, her amazon sisters, her friends. Gabrielle could only imagine the dire consequences of what would happen if someone like Arsen learned about the Fountain of youth that was hidden somewhere in that village. This wasn't simply a struggle for these women's lives and freedom. But it was a fight to stop an incredible power from falling into the hands of people who would in all certainly use it as a means to assert their own will and dominance on anyone they chose. The irreparable damage this could cause was unimaginable. And Gabrielle know that no matter the cost she couldn't allow any of that to happen. Yet nother boulder rammed into the cliff as Gabrielle made up her mind on what needed to be done.

GABRIELLE 
Skyla.

SKYLA 
Gabrielle? 

GABRIELLE 
I need you to take Clover and tell some of the other's to get to the catapults and stop them.

SKYLA 
Gabrielle I...

GABRIELLE
I'm not done. Then you have to get everyone from the village evacuated. If the cliffs collapse it could completely destroy everything.

SKYLA 
But what about you?

Arsen laughed.

ARSEN 
Oh look at that. So much loyalty for such a weak ruler. Who can't even take on a single opponent.

SKYLA 
You're wrong, Gabrielle's an amazing queen who cares for her people! Something you obviously know nothing about.

GABRIELLE 
Skyla that's not important right now. You have to get everyone out of harms way.

SKYLA 
But I can't just leave you here with him. He could kill you.

GABRIELLE 
We don't have time for this, now go.

SKYLA 
But, Gabrielle...

GABRIELLE 
Skyla there's something that I've learned from Xena a while ago and it's that there are some things worth sacrificing for the greater good. Alot of the time it can be hard. But you don't do it because it's easy, you do it because it's the right thing to do.

SKYLA 
I'm not going. I won't leave you here with that monster.

Gabrielle knew that there was no time to spare. The cost of failure to stop Arsen and his people was far too high. They needed to act now if there was going to be any hope of saving the village, it's people and the secrets it held, before it was too late. Gabrielle had no choice but to become a fierce leader and put aside her dislike of using her title as queen to demand those around her to obey her orders. She gave Skyla a completely serious look and used the most commanding voice she could muster and did what she knew needed to be done for the sake of the lives of countless innocent people.

GABRIELLE 
Skyla, I'm ordering you as queen to go tell the other's to stop the catapults and get the people out of the village. Now.

Skyla lowered her eyes in sadness. Knowing the sacrifice Gabrielle would likely be making for the sake of everyone else. Dispite not wanting to leave Gabrielle in the hands of the mad man Arsen, Skyla looked at Gabrielle sadly as reluctantly obeyed her queen's demand.

SKYLA
(Sad tone) Yes, your highness.

At this point any royal titles Skyla used had long since become less of a formal title and more of a term of endearment towards Gabrielle. Not only as her queen, but as her good friend. While she mostly said it in a joking and teasing manner, right now it was ment as show of the friendship they bad formed and the emence respect Skyla had for Gabrielle for not only what she was doing now. But for the ruler and person that she just was as a whole. Skyla turned away looked over her shoulder at Gabrielle.

SKYLA 
Gabrielle, I promise we're gonna show these guys just what us Amazon's are made of.

The sound of another boulder hitting the cliff rang through the air as Skyla ran off. As she left a few of Arsen's slavers went to stop her.

ARSEN 
Let her go. It's not like they're actually gonna be able to stop us anyway.

Gabrielle watched as Skyla disappeared from sight, just hoping that the cliffs could hold out a little longer.

XENA 
Go, go, go.

Xena and a number of others on their way to shut down the catapults as she sliced through enemy after enemy that tried to stand in his way. At this point everyone was spread out on the battlefield. Once she got the opportunity Xena did a quick scan of everything around her, seeing a number her allies still fighting hard against the enemy as they pushed closer to the artillery. As Xena fought she suddenly heard her name being called. Recognizing the voice Xena looked around and finally spotted Skyla running her way. Xena knew that Skyla had been with Gabrielle and Clover. Neither of who she saw anywhere. Fearing that something terrible must've happened, Xena ran to meet Skyla.

XENA 
Skyla what happened? Where's Gabrielle and Clover?

SKYLA 
Clover got injured and taken away from the fight. And Gabrielle's alone with the slaver leader.

XENA 
What?! You left her alone? What in Tartarus were you thinking Skyla?!

SKYLA 
I didn't want to but I had no choice! Gabrielle ordered me to have the village evaluated and stop the catapults from destroying the village barrier.

XENA 
Damn it. I have to get to her. 

Xena looked around and saw Valassca and Ephiny each finishing of their respective opponents.

XENA 
Ephiny, Valassca!

With the area momentarily cleared of enemies the two came over. Ephiny saw Skyla.

EPHINY 
Aren't you supposed to be with Gabrielle?

Xena quickly examined the situation.

XENA 
I'm going after Gabrielle. Ephany and Valassca, you two stop those catapults. Skyla continue towards the village and help get everyone out of there.

SKYLA 
Already on it.

Skyla ran off towards the village as Xena Immediately headed in the direction Skyla had come from. Ephiny followed with Valassca behind her. Pure fear ran through Xena's mind as she thought about Gabrielle being left on her own as she's being held hostage by some animal that's clearly obsessed with Amazon's. She didn't even want to think about what could happen to Gabrielle before they got to her.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) I knew she shouldn't have been out here. Damn it, if he hurts her...

As Xena and the others made their way towards Gabrielle's location, Arsen looked down at Gabrielle who was now standing still in his grip.

ARSEN 
(Menacing tone) It won't be long now. Anyway last words about your little village?

GABRIELLE 
Just a few.

ARSEN 
(Condicending tone) Oh and what would those be?

GABRIELLE 
You're not getting it!

In a flash Gabrielle took her staff that was still in her hand and drove the end up and back into Arsen's face. It hit him square in his nose. Causing him to shove her away as he grasped his face. Gabrielle stumbled forward a little before she caught her balance and turned around to face Arsen. He finished making sure his nose wasn't broken and sneered at Gabrielle who stood before him.

ARSEN 
(Angry tone) That was a very, very stupid thing to do.

Arsen drew his axe as he looked at Gabrielle with murderous intent as he stared down at her.

ARSEN 
Now I'm going to show you what happens to little girls who try and play hero.

×××

With her staff in hand and no one else around, Gabrielle stood across from the leader of slavers attacking the Amazon village, Arsen. He looked at Gabrielle, completely unintimidated by the much smaller woman with only a big stick to defend herself with. He gripped his axe as he prepared to get rid of what he considered to be a girl that was way out of her league when it came to facing someone like himself. Arsen wasn't particularly thrilled about having to get physical with Gabrielle. Not because he felt bad about his actions, but because in his mind he was going damage or possibly kill a valuable commodity that he could've taken and sold. Especially with Gabrielle being the Amazonian queen, Arsen thought that he would've gotten quite a bit for her on the slave market. Or even kept her for himself for his own twisted desires. But Gabrielle had pissed him off and now he was going to make sure that she suffered the consequences.

ARSEN 
I hope you enjoy your time in the after life you little Amazonian brat.

Arsen swung his Axe at Gabrielle. Gabrielle quickly hopped back a little and avoided the attack. While his guard was down, Gabrielle took her staff and smacked it across his face. Arsen growled as he looked at her out of the side of his eye. He then swiftly swung his weapon upwards, just barely missing Gabrielle as she backed away, stumbling a little from moving so fast. She recovered quickly as Arsen came at her. Fortunately due to all the time Gabrielle had spent with Xena seeing her fight and all the oppents they've faced together, Gabrielle had picked up a good number of tricks for taking down opponents like Arsen. Who were often times bigger and stronger than she was. So she waited until he was right up on her and ready to swing his weapon when Gabrielle spun, crouched down and swung her staff at the back of Arsen's legs. Unexpectedly sweeping him off his feet, causing him to fail flat on his back and stunning him momentarily. He didn't have time to recover when he felt Gabrielle's staff crack him across his jaw again. Arsen snarled as he reached over and grabbed Gabrielle's ankle and ripped her foot from under her, causing her to fall to the ground next to him. He started to stand as Gabrielle drove the end of her staff into Arsen's stomach. He let out a groan as he felt the impact of the hit.

ARSEN 
Enough of this!

Now furious, Arsen grabbed onto the end of Gabrielle's staff. Attempting to take it from her as he yanked it. But instead of disarming her, Gabrielle held on and Arsen tossed both Gabrielle and her staff a little behind him. Gabrielle landed face down in the dirt, losing her hold of her weapon as it rolled a little from her. Arsen turned around as Gabrielle lifted her head and looked back to see him coming towards her. She quickly began scrambling to get her staff. But Arsen got to it first and picked it up. Still on the ground Gabrielle looked up at him.

ARSEN 
You won't be needing this anymore. Not once I'm finished with you.

Arsen threw the staff as Gabrielle followed it with her eyes and watched it land far out of reach in the grass. Then Gabrielle looked back at Arsen who had a smug expression on his face.

ARSEN 
(Condicending/ Menacing tone) So what will you do now without that stick of yours little girl?

Gabrielle looked from Arsen to where her staff layed and back to Arsen again as she tried to decide how to handle the situation. It didn't take long for her to realize that she stood virtually no chance against him unarmed so she knew very quickly what she needed to do. Gabrielle hurried to her feet and began to make a mad dash for her staff. But Arsen ran up and caught her from behind. He grabbed Gabrielle by the back of her top and threw her backwards. She hit the ground as Arsen turned around and kicked her in the ribs.

GABRIELLE 
Gah!

Gabrielle clenched at her side as she rolled over in an attempt to get away from him. She felt the same pain in her other side as Arsen drove his boot into the ribs that were left exposed after the first hit. Gabrielle turned to her stomach and tried to crawl away. She yelled as Arsen brought his foot down onto her back and began stomping on her again and again as he laughed and taughted her all the while.

ARSEN 
(Mocking tone) What's the matter? I thought you were supposed to be a queen. What kind of people would actually make someone as pathetic as you their leader? It's no wonder Amazon's are only good for one thing. Especially with how stupid they clearly are for choosing such a weak ruler who can't do a damn thing for herself or her precious people.

Arsen drove his boot down hard as Gabrielle screamed in agony.

EPHINY 
That's the last one.

Ephiny sighed as she picked her sword back up after getting finished disabling the final catapult as Valassca pulled her sword out of the last enemy there.

EPHINY 
We should find Gabrielle and Xena.

Valassca gave a slight nod as the two got moving.

XENA 
Out of my way!

Xena yelled as she cut through another slaver. Blood sprayed from the large gash as the slaver spun from the momentum and fell. Another slaver caught Xena's elbow in his face as he ran up behind her. Xena flipped her sword upside down and and thrust it backwards into the slavers stomach. Without even looking back Xena yanked out her blade and kept running in search of Gabrielle amidst the chaos.

XENA 
Gabrielle!

Xena fought through the enemies until she spotted a tall figure standing in the distance. Then she noticed Gabrielle laying on the ground at his feet as he stomped and kicked her. Xena could hear Gabrielle's pain filled cries as she was ruthlessly beaten.

XENA 
Gabrielle!!

Xena instantly took off running. Heading right for Gabrielle and Arsen. Her adrenaline was pumping knowing that Gabrielle was in serious danger. And Xena was prepared to stop at nothing to save her. But with her focus on Gabrielle's safety, Xena almost didn't notice one of the enemy swing at her. She moved just in time to dodge most the hit. But it did however graze her upper arm, leaving a small cut. Xena glanced at the wound and scowled as she yelled and cut down the slaver in an instant. Xena was about to continue running when more of the enemy came at her, preventing her from getting to Gabrielle. Another painful scream rang through the air as Arsen brought another boot down onto Gabrielle. He then reached down and grabbed a handful of Gabrielle's hair as he lifted her up to her knees to look at him.

ARSEN 
Are you going to be a good little girl yet? Or do you want me to keep going?

Gabrielle glared at him defiantly. She might've been beaten, bloodied and bruised, but Gabrielle wasn't broken. She was a poud amazon and she would never give someone like Arsen the satisfaction of seeing her submit and bow to their will. Gabrielle didn't care if it cost her life, she would fight to her dying breath to stop Arsen from taking control over her people. 

ARSEN 
Nothing to say?

Gabrielle spat in his face in the ultimate act of disrespect.

GABRIELLE 
(Huffing) Fuck...you.

Enraged by Gabrielle's persistent defiance Arsen punched her hard in the stomach. Gabrielle gasped as she felt the air driven out of her. Arsen shoved Gabrielle to the side as he got his axe.

ARSEN 
I'm tired of playing with you. It's clear to me now that you're going to be more hassle than you're worth. So I think it's time to just get rid of you.

Gabrielle layed on the ground as Arsen stood over her with his axe in hand.

ARSEN 
Say goodbye little girl.

×××

continued

 

Back to the Academy