Pt.6

Xena fought back the urge to rush over to where Lyceus stood and embrace him, knowing that this was nothing more than a vision of her brother that had been killed many years ago. Hearing that Xena had spoken his name a moment ago, Gabrielle looked at her.

GABRIELLE 
Xena is that really Lyceus?

The spector smiled at Xena as she stood there unsure of what to say or do.

LYCEUS 
What's wrong Xena, not happy to see me?

Finally Xena pushed down her shock and spoke.

XENA 
I would be. If you were actually my brother.

LYCEUS 
What makes you so sure that I'm not?

XENA 
Because Lyceus has been dead for years.

The spector smiled as before either Xena or Gabrielle knew he had vanished and then was directly behind Xena.

LYCEUS 
And who's fault is that, sister?

Xena didn't look back at him as she lowered her head in shame and regret.

XENA 
Mine.

GABRIELLE 
Xena don't say that.

LYCEUS 
That's right it was.

Gabrielle turned around and scowled at the spector that had taken the form of Xena's brother.

GABRIELLE 
Hey Lyceus chose to fight to save his home. Just like everyone else that day.

LYCEUS 
Yes but I was Xena who rallied them. He, like many others might not have been killed that day if it weren't for her actions.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) And how many more people would have died if Xena hadn't taken a stand against that attack?

LYCEUS 
So you say her actions that day were justified?

GABRIELLE 
I think that they were.

"Lyceus" smiled.

LYCEUS 
You may be right Gabrielle. But what about what happened afterwards?

The area around them suddenly changed as Gabrielle, Xena and the spector of Lyceus stood inside of a house watching as a new scene unfolded before them. This time it was Xena's mother Cyrene and a younger vision of Xena herself. It didn't take long before both Xena and Gabrielle knew just what they were watching.

CYRENE 
(Crying) He's gone. No. My son is dead.

The younger vision of Xena looked down sadly as tears streamed down her face.

YOUNGER XENA 
I'm sorry mother. I don't know what happened. I just wanted to protect the village.

Both the actual Xena and Gabrielle jumped slightly when they saw the spector of Cyrene storm over and slap the younger version of Xena hard across the face.

CYRENE 
(Angry tone/ crying) He was your brother Xena! And because you couldn't just leave well enough alone, you got him and so many others from our village killed.

YOUNGER XENA 
If we didn't fight, Cortese and his men would have killed everyone. We stopped them.

CYRENE 
(Angry tone/ crying) At what cost? The lives of your friends? Your own brother? My son?! Lyceus was so young. He had his whole life ahead of him. But you took that away.

YOUNGER XENA 
(Sad tone) Mother I'm sorry I...

CYRENE 
(Angry tone/ crying) You're sorry. Sorry isn't going to bring my son back Xena. Or anyone else who was killed today.

YOUNGER XENA 
(Sad tone) Mother...

The younger Xena tried to reach out to Cyrene who just moved away.

CYRENE 
(Sad tone/ crying) Don't Xena, just don't.

Xena and Gabrielle watched as the spector of Cyrene turned her back to the younger version of Xena.

CYRENE 
(Sad tone) Leave.

YOUNGER XENA 
(Sad tone) mother please, I...

CYRENE 
(Sad tone) Don't make this harder than it already is Xena. Please, just go.

Without another word the younger Xena turned around and wiped the tears from her eyes as she left and Cyrene broke down and sobbed. Meanwhile the actual Xena wiped away her own tears as she felt the emotional pain of having to relive such a heatwrenching time of her life. Gabrielle lightly squeezed Xena's hand in hers getting Xena's attention.

GABRIELLE 
I'm sorry you had to live through that again Xena. I know it took a long time but you and your mother are a family again. You've both forgiven each other. And I know that Cyrene loves you.

Xena managed a small smile at the welcomed reminder.

XENA 
Yeah. I know.

LYCEUS 
Yes but that was only how it all began wasn't it? Because soon after you were the one with the army on the attack. Sure at first it was to defend your home village that you were no longer welcomed in. But before long you had completely forgotten your  original reasoning as you yourself became the very type of person that you had first set out to protect your village from.

The area around Xena, Gabrielle and the spirit that had taken the form of Lyceus changed once again. This time it was another battlefield. Gabrielle heard an angery yell and recognized the voice as Xena's. She saw a shadow on the ground in front of her and on instint quickly ducked as a figure dropped from over head and landed a few feet in front of her. She looked on as the tall figure rose and looked over their shoulder with an ice cold look in their eyes. Gabrielle couldn't help but feel intimidated as she readied who she was looking at when the figure turned around to face them. Xena felt Gabrielle's grip on her hand tighten slightly for a moment as they came face to face with the spector of the Xena that Gabrielle had only known about from the stories that she had been told. The Xena that had turned herself over to the darkness, the anger, the violence that raged within her. Gabrielle took a step back as she saw an evil smile cross this Xena's face and begin to move towards them.

LYCEUS 
Don't worry none of these visions can see us. There can't be any interaction between you and what you're shown. They're nothing more than a visual manifestation of your past memories and events with no actual physical form or recollection of our presence.

GABRIELLE 
But you can see and interact with us.

LYCEUS 
Yes but I'm an actual spirit. These are nothing but memories. Think of it as if you're watching a dream 

GABRIELLE 
Oh, I think I understand.

Gabrielle let go of the actual Xena's hand and moved to the side as the vision of Xena's former self moved passed them. She cautiously reached out to touch the spector and saw her hand go right through as the Xena of the past continued onward without ever even noticing her. Confirming  that the spector of Lyceus was correct. The actual Xena clenched her fist as she looked around at the battlefield.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Damn I don't want Gabrielle to have to see this side me. It's bad enough that she not only knows about it but has been put in danger and suffered far too many times because of my past actions. But to actually be forced to witness it...

Xena moved to stand in front of Gabrielle's line of sight as she looked at the spirit.

XENA 
Gabrielle already knows about my violent and destructive past. Is it really necessary for her to have to see it?

LYCEUS 
I'm sure you must feel ashamed about many of the things you've done. And while it will no doubt be difficult, it is indeed necessary for you both to truly see everything that lays within the deepest depths of your souls.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) But why. Forcing someone to watch this kind of madness is just cruel. What good could possibly come from it?

LYCEUS 
Do you wish to stop this? Because if that's the case then all you have to do is say so.

XENA 
Yes we're done. Now take us...

GABRIELLE 
Xena no. 

Xena looked at Gabrielle with a curious expression.

GABRIELLE 
Remember if we stop before we've seen everything this place has to show us then we'll never be able to be married as Amazon's.

XENA 
Gabrielle you know we don't have to be joined as Amazon's. We could just have a regular wedding if you really want to get married.

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) I knew it. You still didn't actually think that I can handle things. I'm not a child Xena.

XENA 
I never said that you were.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) And yet you insist on treating me like one.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) I'm sorry if I don't want to unnecessarily expose someone I love to the horrors of my blood filled past.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Well it's not like I haven't seen plenty of violence and bloodshed already. Plus I'm already aware of most of that stuff anyway, so what's the difference?!

Xena scowled.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Because maybe you're not the only one I don't want having to see this all again! I'm already well aware of what I've done!

Xena looked at the spector that resembled her brother.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Now you. I don't care what kind of twisted test you think this is but you have some nerve to show up looking like this.

LYCEUS 
I merely took the shape of someone who ment alot to you. Most find it more comforting to see a familiar face in this type of situation then some foreign entity. But if you prefer I could change to something else.

Xena looked away.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Forget it. It wouldn't make any difference now anyway. Now take us back. We're done here.

LYCEUS 
Are you sure?

XENA 
Yes now let's go.

LYCEUS 
Very well. All you have to do is step through here and you'll awake back in your world.

The spector pointed to an opening that suddenly appeared out of nowhere. It swirled with multiple colors as Xena stood before it and looked at Gabrielle for her to follow.

XENA 
Come on Gabrielle, we're leaving.

GABRIELLE 
So that's it you're just gonna give in this quick? 

XENA 
Yes now let's go.

With that Xena began to walk towards the portal only to be stopped when Gabrielle grabbed hold of her arm.

XENA 
Gabrielle let go, it's not worth having to go through this. We'll get married a different way someday. Tomorrow even, if that's what you really want. I'll do everything possible to make sure that it's the wedding of your dreams when that day comes. But I'm sorry I just can't do this. 

Pt.7

Gabrielle found herself becoming angered by the feeling that Xena was trying to shelter her again as she held Xena's arm. Stopping her from walking away from the scene of Xena's past self still fighting and taking down her opponents without giving them a second thought as she carved her way through them and they fell one by one in a mess of blood, guts and carnage around them.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) You're doing it again. Being overly proactive of me. We're not even in actual danger here Xena. So now you think that I'm so fragile that I can't even handle seeing things like this?

Xena pulled her arm from Gabrielle's grip.

XENA 
Forget it Gabrielle. I'm not discussing this any further. We're not staying here and watching this. We're done here.

Gabrielle found herself becoming more angerd and was about to say something when she stopped and realized a painful look in Xena's eyes. It was at that moment when it finally occurred to Gabrielle that Xena's wanting to stop the visions wasn't just for her sake. It was now clear to Gabrielle that actually having to witness these things again was more difficult for Xena than she had realized. And Gabrielle felt terrible for not seeing that sooner.

GABRIELLE 
Xena... I'm sorry. I should've known that seeing all of this would have a large impact on you. I guess going from just remembering things and seeing them with you own eyes from the outside must be hard.

Gabrielle reached up to touch Xena's cheek but Xena turned away. Not only from Gabrielle but from the spector of her past self as the vision ruthlessly carved through her opponents without a shred of remorse. Gabrielle looked beyond the Xena she knew as she watched the scene play out. The vision of the past Xena moved through the area as she fought along side her army. She let out an angry and exhilarated yell as she plunged the blade of her sword into one of her enemies. Blood spattered on her as well as the ground around her when she tore the blade from the man's stomach. Gabrielle watched as the man then gripped at his midsection. Blood flowed from his mouth and the gaping wound in his stomach as he dropped to his knees and fought to keep his insides from spilling out. Meanwhile the past Xena looked at him with a completely remorseless expansion. Instead she just gave a sinister and feral smile as she drove her boot into his chin and knocked him flat on his back. Gabrielle was unable to look away as the Xena of the past stared down at the helpless, dying man for a moment before moving on to another enemy and leaving the man to suffer his gruesome fate.

LYCEUS 
It's not an easy thing to witness for yourself is it?

Gabrielle jumped, startled by the spirit suddenly appearing beside her and the actual Xena. She didn't know what to say. Xena was right. Knowing about something like this and seeing it truly was different. But even so Gabrielle was determined to not let that change the way she felt about the person that Xena was now. After all the Xena that Gabrielle had just watched brutally kill her opponents moments ago and the Xena right beside her were completely different people. They may have looked the same physically but Gabrielle knew that inside Xena was no longer that woman who had just carved her way through those men without mercy. Gabrielle was about to say something when she and Xena heard Cora's voice echo around them again.

CORA 
I think that's enough for today. Give me a moment and I'll bring you both back.

Gabrielle looked at Xena who refused to meet her eye to eye. She then looked at the spirit that had been guiding them.

LYCEUS 
I guess I'll see you both later.

The spirit saw the expression on Xena's face that looked like a combination of sorrow, anger, pain remorse and defeat.

LYCEUS 
Well, maybe.

Then before Gabrielle knew what was happening she was opening her eyes and saw that she was looking up at the roof of Cora's house. She slowly sat up and looked beside her to see Xena doing the same.

CORA 
Welcome back.

GABRIELLE 
Xena, are you okay?

Xena didn't look at her.

XENA 
Yeah, I'm alright.

CORA 
Sorry. I told you this wouldn't be easy.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) You can say that again.

After taking a bit to get their barrings, Xena and Gabrielle stood up.

CORA 
Well why don't you go home, talk things over if you need to and rest. And you still want to we'll continue this tomorrow.

XENA 
Alright. 

Xena and Gabrielle begin to leave when Gabrielle stopped and turned back towards Cora.

GABRIELLE 
Hey why did we only see stuff for Xena while we were there today?

Cora shrugged.

CORA 
Who's to say. You're shown things that are deemed important for revealing your truths to one another. You can't control what's shown to you or when. I'm sure you'll have your turn when the spirits decide it's time.

GABRIELLE 
Oh. Okay. 

CORA 
Now go on home I don't think you've noticed but it's pretty late now.

Gabrielle glanced out the window and was shocked to see that the sky had already grown dark.

GABRIELLE 
Cora were we in there all day?!

CORA 
Time works differently in the spirit realm Gabrielle. It's very inconsistent. Sometimes a whole day can pass out here and yet it'll only feel like a few hours or even less there. Then at other times it can seem as though you've spent days or even weeks on that side. But then you'll come back and see that only several hours have gone by in reality.

Gabrielle shook her head in disbelief as she found herself suddenly becoming very tired. Cora noticed this and decided to offer up an explanation for the question that she already knew was on Gabrielle's mind.

CORA 
Don't worry feeling fatigued after spending any extended period of time within the spirit realm is normal. More so if the person is dealing with anything that might be particularly stressful while there. Just get a good night's sleep and you'll be fine.

GABRIELLE 
Okay. Thanks.
(Thinking to herself) Gods if I feel this tired, I can't imagine how exhausted Xena must be feeling after reliving all of that.

After saying goodnight to Cora, Gabrielle caught up with Xena as they returned home. After releaving Skyla and Clover of their voluntary babysitting duties until the next day, checking on the well cared for and sleeping Aurora, Xena and Gabrielle ate a small dinner and went to bed. Xena didn't say much about what they saw other than that she was sorry for Gabrielle having to had seen it. Even though Gabrielle had known about Xena's past, actually seeing it for herself had scared her. The look in Xena's eyes, it was so cold and unfeeling. Almost non human. Gabrielle could practically feel the rage and hatred that the vision had been showing. Taking a breath to calm herself down and push aside the memory of the day's events, Gabrielle looked up into the darkness as she layed in bed beside Xena who layed with her back facing Gabrielle so she couldn't tell if Xena was asleep or not. Gabrielle wanted to reach over and feel the safety and security of Xena's arms around her that had always seemed to make even the worst days feel better. But as Gabrielle was about to touch Xena's arm she slowly pulled her hand back.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Really Gabrielle you want Xena to comfort you right now. Xena's the one who had to relive one of the most traumatic points of her life today and here you are acting like a frightened child who had a bad dream a wants to be held. Grow up!

With those words echoing in her head, Gabrielle turned to her side with her back facing Xena and closed her eyes. Moments later Xena opened her eyes and looked at Gabrielle for a moment.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) I knew that this was a bad idea. Gabrielle doesn't even want me to touch her now. Not that I blame her after seeing that today. If this keeps up I'm gonna lose her. I'll talk to her tomorrow. Maybe I can change her mind about continuing these tests. I love her. I can't lose her after everything we've gone through together already. Not like this.

With that final thought Xena closed her again and drifted off to sleep. Unaware of the true reason for Gabrielle's behavior that in the coming days was only going to become more confusing for Xena that would cause her to question if they were doing the right thing even further.

Pt.8

Morning came all too soon for Xena as she awoke and quickly noticed that in a rare instance Gabrielle had actually gotten up before her. She turned to her side as she watched Gabrielle looking out their bedroom window for a few moments. She smiled to herself as she thought about how she always loved the way the morning sunlight played on Gabrielle's long golden hair. As well as seeing it radiating over the features of the woman that Xena loved more than she could've ever imagined that she'd be able to love anyone. But then her smile faded as she remembered what they had gone through the day before. She knew that they needed to talk. Xena didn't want to upset Gabrielle but she needed to try and get her to understand what continuing down this road with having to witness the worst parts of Xena's former self might lead. As brave, heroic, invisible and sometimes even inhuman as Xena might have seemed to those around her, she still had her own insecurities and fears. Though she rarely let them show to the outside world. And in all honesty there were very few who were truly allowed to see the tough exterior walls of "the warrior princess" come down and see just Xena as an actual person. And Gabrielle was one of those select few. Infact she had seen parts of Xena that no one else ever had. Parts that until Gabrielle had gotten through the defenses that had been put up so long ago, Xena herself didn't even know layed dormant in the deepest depths of her own self. So having Gabrielle see her at her very worst admittedly scared Xena. Likely far more than it had actually frightened Gabrielle. But unlike Gabrielle Xena's fear wasn't from being shown the anger, blood or violence. No her fear came from what Gabrielle must think about her now. The fear that had always lurked in a small place at the back of Xena's mind that one day her dark and horrific past would finally become too much for Gabrielle and drive her away forever. Not that Xena would ever blame her. Truthfully Xena had always been surprised that it hadn't already happened. But now, now Xena was certain that this could very well be the thing that finally did get Gabrielle to leave and likely take the child they share with her. Not that Xena would blame her but if that was the case Xena was determined to try anything she could that might get Gabrielle to change her mind.

XENA
Hey.

Hearing Xena's voice, Gabrielle looked over to the bed where Xena still layed.

GABRIELLE 
Hey. You okay? It's not like you to sleep in so late.

XENA 
Yeah. Though I was just about to ask you the same thing. You being okay I mean. It's not really like you to be up so early without having someone wake you.

Gabrielle shrugged as she walked over and sat at the foot of the bed as Xena sat up. 

GABRIELLE 
Guess I couldn't sleep much.

XENA 
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

There was an uncomfortable silence between them until Xena finally spoke.

XENA 
Look Gabrielle about yesterday. What we saw. I'm sorry. You shouldn't have to see those things. No one should.

Xena looked down but returned her gaze towards Gabrielle when she felt Gabrielle place her hand over hers as it rested in her lap.

GABRIELLE 
I'm okay Xena, really. Like I've told you I already know who you used to be but I don't care. I love the person that you are now and that's not going to change just because of some visions of a woman who's long gone now.

XENA 
You say that but I still don't think it'll a good idea to go back in there. I don't even wanna think of what else we might be shown if we do.

Gabrielle took her hand away from Xena's as she turned away.

GABRIELLE 
(Sad tone) I thought after a night to think about it that you might change your mind about this.

XENA 
I'm sorry. 

Hearing the hurt in Gabrielle's voice Xena moved from the bed as crouched in front of her and took her hands in hers.

XENA 
But look I ment what I said before, if you really wanna get married we can leave today and go do that. I'll make it everything that you've ever wanted. I promise.

Gabrielle looked away.

GABRIELLE 
Forget it then.

Xena frowned as she fought back her building irritation. Why couldn't Gabrielle understand that she was only trying to protect her? Not wanting to argue with her again, Xena tried to talk through what she figured was really upsetting Gabrielle so much about not continuing the tests for them to have a joining or bonding ceremony 

XENA 
Look I know that you probably had your heart set on an actual Amazonian wedding. And I really am sorry. But just because you're queen and we don't have one won't make us any less married. Or you any less of these people's queen. We can even invite anyone of these women that you want to the wedding. I'm willing to bet that they'll be more than excited to come either way. And I'm sure that you could even incorporate some of the Amazonian traditions into the ceremony if you really wanted.

Gabrielle found herself becoming very agitated as she thought about how even after everything they've been through together, Xena still didn't get it. Or more likely she did and was just trying to play dumb in the hopes that it wouldn't get her in trouble.

GABRIELLE
(Irritated tone) You know full well that's not what this is about Xena?

Xena took a breath to calm the anger that began to creep back to the surface.

XENA 
OK then would you mind telling me what it really is that has you so mad at me?

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Oh please Xena we both know you're smarter than that. But if you wanna play ignorant here, fine two can play that game.

Gabrielle put on a fake smile.

GABRIELLE
(Sarcasm) Nothings wrong at all Xena. Let's go have that wedding and I can spend the rest of my life hiding behind you just like you want.

Xena was about to say something that she most definitely would've regretted later when they heard Aurora begin crying as she awoke in the other room.

GABRIELLE 
I'll get her. 
(Sarcasm) That's not too much for me to handle too is it Xena?

Xena glared at Gabrielle for a moment but said nothing before turning away as Gabrielle left the room to tend to their child. Once Aurora was cared for Gabrielle came back into the bedroom and saw Xena finishing getting dressed. Seeing Gabrielle, Xena picked up the small pile of clothes that she had set on the bed and walked over to Gabrielle who stood in the doorway, shoving the items in Gabrielle's arms as she walked by.

XENA 
Hurry up and get dressed. I'll send someone over here to watch the baby and meet you at Cora's house.

Though Xena's voice remained it's normal tone amd her face seemed neutral, Gabrielle could see the anger in Xena's eyes before she walked away. Gabrielle didn't have time to respond before Xena had already stormed down the stairs. She stood there for a moment before hearing the front door open and slam behind Xena as she left the house. Within a few minutes Gabrielle was dressed and down stairs as there was a knock on the front and Skyla peeked her head inside and smiled.

SKYLA 
Knock, knock. Xena said that you needed someone to watch Aurora again today?

Gabrielle put on a fake smile and waved for Skyla and Clover to come in.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah. Thanks again you two.

SKYLA 
Anytime.

After making sure that everything with Aurora was set, Gabrielle left the house and met up with Xena who was waiting outside of Cora's house. Once inside, both Xena and Gabrielle repeated the same ritual that they had done the day before and layed down to enter the spirit realm once again. Though she didn't say anything Cora noticed the tension between them and asked if they were sure that they still wanted to go through with the tests.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah we're sure.
(Irritated tone) Right Xena?

Cora saw the unhappy glance from Gabrielle that was sent in Xena's direction who didn't look Gabrielle's way but could feel the intensity behind the look she'd been given nonetheless.

XENA 
You heard her Cora. We're doing this. No matter the risk or result apparently.

Again Xena pretend to not notice the angery glance that Gabrielle threw her way as Cora sighed.

CORA 
If you insist. Okay just like last time close your eyes and you'll soon find yourselves back in the spirit realm once again. The same rules apply as before. You have no control over what you'll be shown and all you need to do is call out to me at anytime and I'll bring you back.

Moments later as Xena and Gabrielle closed their eyes and felt the same intense feelings of having their contiousness pulled from their bodies and thrown into a psychedelic void they awoke back in the same field where they had arrived the first time. Groaning from the intensity of the trip, Gabrielle sat up and found that once again she was wearing her usual clothes as she shook off the uncomfortable sensation she felt from the journey there.

GABRIELLE 
I'm not sure I could ever get used to doing that.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) You're the one who insisted that we come back here.

Xena stood up and simply out of habit offered out her hand to help Gabrielle stand. Gabrielle looked at Xena's out stretched arm for a brief second before intentionally ignoring it as she got to her feet on her own. Xena didn't say anything as she again pushed down how Irritated she was with Gabrielle at the moment and lowered her hand as she along with Gabrielle looked around. The area looked basically the same as when they had been there before. With a vast beautiful meadow surrounding them, except for one notable thing that Gabrielle was quick to notice and point out.

GABRIELLE 
Huh wasn't there a waterfall here last time?

And infact Gabrielle was right. There had been a waterfall that she and Xena had gone through before to get to the space where they had seen pieces of Xena's past.
But as they stood in the meadow this time there was no waterfall to be found. Xena scanned the area for a moment and then spotted what looked to be a large lake in the center of the field. 

XENA 
Maybe that's what we're looking for.

After Xena pointed the body of water out to Gabrielle, the two made their way over to the lake. They both stood at the edge looking at it. Viewing their reflections as they stood side by side. Cautiously Gabrielle crouched down and touched her finger to the waters surface and watched as it rippled for a moment. Then out of nowhere both she and Xena heard voices. They looked around but saw nothing before recognizing that it was their own voices as they listened to a bit of a conversation that they had long ago and forgotten about.

PAST XENA'S VOICE
It's like this Gabrielle, you see this lake and how calm it is? That was me once. And then...

Xena and Gabrielle looked down at the water and saw a reflection of themselves. But it wasn't of them in the present, instead what they saw was a vision of their past as they sat together next to a lake. The two watched the scene in silence as it played out before them across the waters surface. They saw as the past Xena picked up a small stone and tossed it into the water within the vision.

PAST XENA 
You see how the water ripples and churns, that's what I became.

The past Gabrielle looked at her Xena.

PAST GABRIELLE 
But if we sit here long enough the water will go back to being still again. It will go back to being calm.

PAST XENA 
Yes but the stone's still under there. It's now part of the lake. It might look as it did before, but it's forever changed.

The final word from the vision echoed slightly as the image faded away and Gabrielle and Xena looked at one another. Though that particular vision hadn't been bad Xena still didn't the idea of them being back there.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) If yesterday was any indication of how this is gonna go, I'm not sure if we're gonna be able to get through this.

Xena was about to ask Gabrielle if she was absolutely sure that she wanted to continue given what they had seen the previous day, but Gabrielle knew the question was coming and looked at Xena sternly.

GABRIELLE 
(Stern tone) Now what? Was that not nice enough for me to watch either?

Xena growled to herself.

XENA 
(Angry tone) You know what Gabrielle I don't know what you're problem has been lately but I'm getting really tired of your attitude and your assuming that you know what I'm thinking when you actually have no idea.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Okay then you won't care if I put my hand in this lake then will you?

Xena motioned to the water before folding her arms across her chest.

XENA 
By all means.

With that Gabrielle put her hand into the water and nothing happened. She looked at Xena with a smirk as Xena raised her eyebrow. After a moment Gabrielle attempted 
to retrieve her arm and suddenly found that she couldn't pull it out.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) What the?

Not showing her confusion and slight concern, Gabrielle looked back at Xena and smiled as she kept secretly trying to pull her arm from the water with no success.

GABRIELLE 
(Lying) Nope, nothing else of note here. 

Gabrielle continued trying to free herself from the unseen force keeping her arm beneath the lake. Xena's keen eyes noticed that Gabrielle appeared to be struggling but thought that Gabrielle might be testing her, so she decided to be more indirect in seeing if Gabrielle needed help or not.

XENA 
Are you just going to play around in that lake or are we gonna move on?

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Funny Xena.

Gabrielle continued trying to pull her arm from the water.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Damn I don't know how but I actually am stuck here. Okay Gabrielle think you can get yourself out of this with no problem. Just... pull... your... arm... and....

Suddenly Gabrielle yelled as she felt herself get pulled into the lake and dragged under the water.

XENA 
Gabrielle!!

Pt.9

After witnessing Gabrielle being abruptly pulled into the lake that she and Xena had been looking at while within the spirit realm, Xena dove into the water and went under as she began to frantically search for Gabrielle. The water was clear but Xena saw no signs of Gabrielle anywhere. It was as if she had completely vanished. After searching for a bit, Xena couldn't hold her breath any longer and was forced to swim back to the surface. She covered her mouth and nose as she felt a bit of water rush in from her bodies natural response to trying to take in oxygen. This might've been the spirit realm but apparently drowning there was still possible. Xena pushed herself to move faster as her lungs burned. She knew that she hadn't dove that deep but for some reason it was now taken much longer than it should have fun her to return to the waters surface. She kicked and pulled herself upwards with long powerful strokes of her arms until finally Xena's head breached the waters surface and she gasped for air. Xena treeded water as she caught her breath and looked around for Gabrielle only to realize that she was no longer in the field where she had dove in after her. But not only was Xena in a different spot from where she had entered the water, she didn't see any signs of Gabrielle anywhere and became very concerned that something might've happened to her.

XENA 
Gabrielle!

Meanwhile Gabrielle opened her eyes and found herself laying on the ground looking up at an open, blue sky. 

GABRIELLE 
What happened?

Gabrielle sat up as noticed that she wasn't at all wet from being pulled into the lake. She then looked around as she also came to realize that Xena was nowhere around.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?

She stood and looked around for any signs of Xena as she called out to her again and got no response.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) it's fine Gabrielle you don't need Xena or anyone for that matter to hold your hand. You can figure this out and find your way back to Xena on your own.

?
But can you really Gabrielle? Or do you need someone like Xena to come and save you once again?

Gabrielle jumped as she heard the unknown voice speak from out of nowhere. She then took a moment to calm herself as she looked around but saw no one as she spoke to what she assumed was another spirit like what she and Xena had met before.

GABRIELLE 
I don't need anyone to save me.

?
Is that so?

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah it is.

?
Hmm then why don't we see just how true that is for ourselves?

Gabrielle was shocked when a figure slowly faded into view before her. But she was even more surprised by who it was that now stood before her.

GABRIELLE
Perdicus...

At the same time Xena was still frantically looking for Gabrielle in the water but having no luck in locating her. She then halted her search when she suddenly began hearing Gabrielle's voice.

XENA 
Gabrielle?

She looked around but couldn't see Gabrielle anywhere. That was when Xena spotted a portal appear back on dry land. Thinking that might lead her to wherever Gabrielle was, Xena swam back to shore. Once out of the water she moved towards the strange opening. As she came closer an image came into focus and Xena saw Gabrielle inside. For a moment Xena was unsure if she was seeing the actual Gabrielle or a vision but as she saw the scene behind her and noticed that Gabrielle appeared to be speaking to someone. Xena realized that Gabrielle must've been pulled into another area of the spirit realm. 

XENA 
Gabrielle.

In an effort to get to Gabrielle, Xena put her hand to the portal but found that there was an unseen barrier between them that she couldn't pass through. Xena called out to Gabrielle in the hopes that since she was able to hear and see her that Gabrielle would be able to do the same. But after several attempts at getting her attention it became apparent that being able to view what was happening on the other side the portal only worked on Xena's side. Unsure of what else she could do at the moment Xena decided to watch what ever was going to play out and hope that Gabrielle would be okay. Then Xena finally noticed that she recognized the person that Gabrielle was speaking to. Or at least who one of the spirits in that place had taken the form of.

"PERDICUS"
Hi Gabrielle.

Gabrielle had a very confused expression on her face as she looked at her former husband who had been dead for quite some time.

GABRIELLE 
Perdicus? But how? You're dead. I saw Calisto kill you.

After a moment Gabrielle remembered that she and Xena had encountered a spirit that had taken the form of Xena's deceased brother Lyceus. That was when it clicked that this "Perdicus" must've also been a disguised spirit as well.

GABRIELLE 
Wait no. You're just a spirit who looks like Perdicus aren't you?

"Perdicus" gave a small nod confirming that he was indeed just a spirit who had taken this form. Meanwhile outside of the portal Xena rolled her eyes.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself Sarcastically) Great out of all the people who it could've looked like it just had to be him.

It wasn't that Xena didn't like Perdicus. It was just because of all of the pain that ended up surrounding him and his untimely death. Because neither Xena or Gabrielle had willing to admit their feelings for one another for a number of reasons that they later discussed once they finally had, a good man was killed. Admittedly as much as she had said that Perdicus' untimely death had been Colisto's doing, in truth Xena had always placed alot of the blame on herself. Both because her past actions had made Colisto the mad woman she was and because if she had just been honest with how she felt towards Gabrielle back then, knowing that even at that time Gabrielle had felt the same for her. Gabrielle wouldn't have ever run off to marry Perdicus in the first place. Honestly that whole ordeal had just been one colossal mess. Though Xena was greatfull that not too long after both she and Gabrielle finally confessed their love for one another and had been together ever since. But still the cost of them finally finding their way to where they were now was high. Xena pushed aside the unpleasant thoughts as she continued to watch Gabrielle speak to the spector.

GABRIELLE 
Hey I ended up here after being dragged into the lake but I don't see Xena. Is she okay?

The spirit smiled.

"PERDICUS"
So you still care about Xena?

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE 
Hey I know things have been tense for the last few days but I love Xena regardless. And I know she feels the same for me.

"PERDICUS"
Yes but does she believe in you?

Gabrielle looked down as she tried to hide the sadness in her eyes.

GABRIELLE 
(Sad tone) I don't know. I thought she did but...

Outside the portal Xena spoke with the hope that what she said and felt would somehow reach Gabrielle.

XENA 
What? Gabrielle of course I do. I thought you knew that.

Back inside the spector moved slowly around Gabrielle.

"PERDICUS"
She can't see you for who you really are can she? 

GABRIELLE 
(Sad tone) I'm not sure. 

"PERDICUS"
But then again you should be used to that by now shouldn't you?

The area around Gabrielle suddenly shifted and changed as before she knew it she found herself standing in her family's house back in her home village of Potidaea. Gabrielle looked around the small house as a flood of memories from her childhood came back. As she looked around the front door opened and she saw the visions of her younger self walk inside followed by her younger sister Lila and their parents. Gabrielle watched as her younger self marched off to the room that she and her sister shared with a scowl on her face as her father Herodotus called after her.

HERODOTUS 
(Stern tone) Hey you come back here right now young lady.

The younger Gabrielle ignored her father as she slammed the bedroom door behind her. Herodotus scowled as he began to make his towards the room only to have Hecuba grasp his arm to stop him.

HECUBA 
Just let her go for now.

Herodotus looked at his wife.

HERODOTUS 
(Irritated tone) But she's being so difficult.

HECUBA 
Gabrielle's young, just give her some time. She'll come around.

Herodotus grumbled.

HECUBA 
Now come on why don't you go relax for now and I'll get started on dinner. We can talk about this afterwards.

Reluctantly Herodotus agreed and went outside, telling Hecuba to call him when dinner was ready on his way out. After Hecuba turned to Lila.

HECUBA 
Now Lila why don't you go see if you can talk to that stubborn sister of yours.

LILA 
Okay mother.

The scene around Gabrielle changed as she found herself in her childhood bedroom and saw her younger self sitting on the bed with her arms wrapped around her legs as she rested her chin on her knees. There was a knock on the door and a moment later Lila peeked inside.

LILA 
Gabrielle? Are you okay?

The vision of Gabrielle's past self didn't look up.

YOUNGER GABRIELLE 
How could I be?

Lila walked into the room and shut the door behind her as she leaned back against it.

LILA 
Come on Gabrielle don't you think you're overreacting just a little?

Finally the younger Gabrielle looked up at her sister and scowled.

YOUNGER GABRIELLE 
No, I don't. I don't love him Lila. How can they really expect me to marry someone I just don't have feelings for?

LILA 
But Perdicus is nice. And you've grown up together so it's not like you don't know him.

The past Gabrielle's expression changed from a scowl to sadness.

YOUNGER GABRIELLE 
That's not the point Lila. If I marry him I'll just be stuck here forever.

Lila frowned.

LILA 
You make it sound like living here is some kind of prison sentence or something.

The younger Gabrielle stood up from the bed. She then walked over to their bedroom window and stared outside at the hills in the far distance.

YOUNGER GABRIELLE 
(Talking quietly) Because to me that's exactly what it feels like.

The spector in the form of Perdicus spoke to the actual Gabrielle as the scene around them began to fade.

"PERDICUS"
For someone who seemed so cheerful on the outside, deep down all while growing up you never felt like you belonged. Or that those around you saw the person that you felt that you actually were. Isn't that right?

Gabrielle nodded slowly as she remembered the pain of growing up in a family and village that never understood her. She knew that her family loved her but they just simply couldn't comprehend the wanderlust that had always called to her ever since she was a little girl. All of the stories she'd heard about brave heros and adventurers had always fascinated Gabrielle. The combination of the two, along with the sense that she was just simply meant for something more was what made the thought of being stuck in a small village her whole life so depressing to Gabrielle. But then the actual Gabrielle smiled as the scene changed once again and she was looking at herself and Xena sitting side by side by a campfire happily talking.

GABRIELLE 
I might not have been happy back in Potidaea but then one day everything changed when I met Xena. And ever since I've never felt that lonely, empty feeling that I had before she came into my life.

Outside of the portal Xena was still watching as she for the first time she truly realized just how unhappy Gabrielle actually was before they had met and gave a sad smile.

XENA 
I just wish that you never had to have felt that way at all.

Back inside of the portal the spirit that looked like Perdicus spoke.

"PERDICUS"
Yes you might not have felt alone anymore but life with Xena has had other problems hasn't it?

The area around Gabrielle and the spector grew dark as Gabrielle and Xena were about the witness a series of past events that would soon begin to change everything between them forever.

Pt.10

Gabrielle stood beside the spector that resembled Perdicus within a blank space she found herself inside of the spirit realm. While Xena continued to view what was happening from the other side of an impassable portal. There was only total darkness around the spirit and herself as Gabrielle looked around to see if she could see anything within the completely black void. But there was nothing. Nothing except herself and the spirit. Finally Gabrielle heard what sounded like the hooves of a horse that was rapidly approaching her way from behind. She turned around just as a vision of Xena riding a fast galloping Argo came into view. She then heard her own voice in the opposite direction desperately calling Xena's name and turned around as the vision of Xena rode by her and disappeared into the darkness.

PAST XENA 
Gabrielle!

The next thing Gabrielle saw was a bright flash of light. She closed her eyes against the intense brightness and then opened them when she noticed it fade away a moment later. Once Gabrielle opened her eyes she saw her past self dangling from a rope. Gabrielle sighed as she remembered what it was that she was watching. This was during one of her and Xena's encounters with Calisto. Gabrielle had been captured by Calisto who tied her up and danged her high above some spikes. Leaving Xena to have to fight to save Gabrielle before the flame beneath the rope holding her up was burned through and she fell into the spikes. Gabrielle looked on as the vision of Xena used her expert skills to fight off Calisto and catch her past self as the rope gave and she fell onto the ladder that Xena had set up beneath her. The Gabrielle of the present watched as the scene played out to its conclusion of Xena not only saving her but defeating Calisto and saving her life as well before the mad woman fell to her own death. The scene faded away as another quickly took its place. This time Gabrielle saw herself being shot with an arrow. She then remembered this scenario as well. Though alot of it was a little hazzy due to the poisoned arrow. The scene jumped forward to herself and Xena being held up in a small shack. With Gabrielle feverish and slowly dying from the poison as Xena single handedly fought off an entire army to defend them and stop the army's advance to a neighboring city. The current Gabrielle remembered being barely able to even more at all as she could hear Xena relentlessly fighting to save them. But actually being able to see everything that happened that day was alot. She knew how lucky she had gotten that Xena had figured out that one of the soldiers had the antidote for the poison and had given it to Gabrielle before it was too late.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Gods I knew that she fought like crazy that day but I had no idea that it was this bad. And all I could do was lay there.

Another scene change and again Gabrielle saw Xena fighting as she stood behind her unable to do anything. Gabrielle watched as over and over she passed through various points of her life with Xena and saw Xena rescuing her time and time again. Or Xena charging into danger without her as Gabrielle stayed behind for her own safety. As well as Xena's who had explained many times that she couldn't fight as well if she was worried about Gabrielle being caught up in the chaos and getting hurt or killed as a result. Which could lead to a distraction which may very well cost Xena her life as well. As the scenes continued to play out, the spector spoke.

"PERDICUS"
How many times has Xena had to rush in and save you?

Gabrielle looked down in defeat.

GABRIELLE 
Too many.

After a moment of thought Gabrielle looked back at the spirit.

GABRIELLE 
But eventually I started to learn how to better defend myself.

"PERDICUS"
You did. Let's take a look at how well you were able to do just that.

The images around them shifted again. This time Gabrielle saw herself wielding her staff as she defended herself against a couple of armed attackers that came her way. She watched her past self smacked one of her enemies accross his jaw with the end of the weapon then avoided another that came at her. Then one of the attackers caught the staff and tore it from her hands and threw it aside. Another image flashed and the past Gabrielle was unarmed with a sword wielding enemy standing between her and her staff that had been knocked out of her reach. Each time Gabrielle would be left defenseless and Xena would jump in and save her before anything happened to her. The actual Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE 
(Defeated tone) I guess a staff is much easier for someone to just grab without getting injured than a sword or something smaller.

The scenes continued as another pattern seemed to form within the other scenes. Over and over Gabrielle watched as she was repeatedly grabbed and or held hostage by someone getting a good handful of her hair. Gabrielle subconsciously rubbed her head as she watched the scenes play out. Eventually she saw some scenes that were fairly recent compared to alot of the others. Now she was seeing some of what had happened since she and Xena had come to the secret amazon village. She watched as the Slaver Arsen beat her as she stood against him to protect the village. Then there was the member of the great Amazonian council Alanis who only due to Xena outsmarting her and Ares who had teamed up with her side for his own selfish reasons, had Gabrielle some how survived. Then the images of the whole ordeal with Valassca trying to repeatedly kill her played out. Leading to the final stand off above the waterfall where Xena once again saved her. Knowing what was coming next Gabrielle couldn't take seeing anymore. It all became too much as she closed her eyes and covered her ears as she yelled.

GABRIELLE 
Stop it! Just stop!

Xena wanted so badly to get to Gabrielle and comfort her as she saw her reaction to what was playing out and Gabrielle fell to her knees.

GABRIELLE 
Please I don't need to see anymore.

"PERDICUS"
If that's what you wish. Very well.

As quickly as the visions had started, everything around Gabrielle stopped. Gabrielle opened her eyes and saw that she was now kneeling behind Xena who turned around from the portal when she saw Gabrielle and the spirit suddenly vanish. Xena hurried over and crouched in front of Gabrielle.

XENA 
Are you okay??

Gabrielle spoke but didn't look at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
(Lying/ sad tone) Yeah, I'm fine.

Xena knew that Gabrielle obviously wasn't okay. She looked up as she spoke to Cora who was still keeping tabs over everything that was happening inside of the spirit realm.

XENA 
Cora, I think that's enough for today.

Cora's voice echoed around them.

CORA 
I agree. Don't worry it seems as though you've both seen everything that you were meant to see anyway. So I can bring you back now and you'll still have passed this test.

Xena looked around as she noticed everything beginning to fade away around them. Confirming what Cora said. Moments later both Xena and Gabrielle opened their eyes back in the real world and sat up.

CORA 
Welcome back. How are you both feeling?

XENA 
I'm okay.

Xena looked at Gabrielle who stood up.

GABRIELLE 
(Lying) Same.

Gabrielle looked at Cora.

GABRIELLE 
Are we done with these tests now?

CORA 
Done with the tests in the spirit realm yes. But you still have a few other things to do yet.

XENA 
(Annoyed Sarcasm) Oh great I love having to jump through hoops just to get married to the person I love.

Xena looked at Gabrielle who had a very defeated look in her eyes.

XENA 
Not that I wouldn't march through fire itself for you.

GABRIELLE 
(Defeated tone) Yeah, I know.

Xena stood as she reached out and touched Gabrielle's arm.

XENA 
Hey are you sure you're okay?

Gabrielle moved her arm away.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) I said I'm fine Xena.

Xena took a breath as the same Irritated feeling that she'd had with Gabrielle as of late returned. 

XENA 
(Thinking to herself/ Irritated) Now what's her problem? She's obviously upset and all I'm doing is being nice and trying to comfort her.

Gabrielle saw the unhappy look Xena sent her way and felt a mix of anger, sadness and shame as she looked away. Pushing past the tension of the moment Xena turned her attention to Cora who could plainly see the uncomfortable feelings that hung between Xena and Gabrielle at the moment.

XENA 
Okay so if we're gonna continue here, what do we need to do next?

CORA 
Given how intense you're journeys within the spirit realm were, you'll have some time to relax and reflect on what you've both seen. Afterwards you'll be brought to an unknown, secluded location. There you'll have to overcome the knowledge of everything you've seen revealed in the spirit realm as you work together to reach a destination that you'll be told to go to. And if you can move past what you've learned, reach the destination together and complete the ritual there, you'll have passed all tests and be able to be joined and rule as Amazon queen's together.

XENA 
Well as long as we're done taking a stroll down memory lane the rest shouldn't be too difficult.

Xena looked at Gabrielle.

XENA 
Right?

GABRIELLE 
(Defeated tone) Yeah, sure.

Gabrielle looked at Cora.

GABRIELLE 
So if we're done here, can we go?

CORA 
Of course. I'm sure you're both fairly tired. So rest up, talk things over and I'll inform you in a few weeks when everything for the final test is ready. 

XENA 
A few weeks huh. It must be some test if it takes that long to prepare.

CORA 
Indeed. So be sure to take this time to prepare yourselves.

XENA 
Alright. Thanks Cora we'll see you later.

Cora waved as Xena turned to leave and Gabrielle moved passed her and walked quickly outside without saying anything. Later that night as Xena layed in bed with her eyes closed she thought of how strangely Gabrielle had been acting recently. And it only appeared to have gotten worse after they had entered the spirit realm. At first Xena figured that it was due to Gabrielle witnessing the visions of her past brutal and violent actions. But then Gabrielle appeared to become even more withdrawn after they had returned from seeing what was meant to be important from Gabrielle's life. And as much as Xena tried she just couldn't get why. She had tried to get Gabrielle to talk to her about it when they had gotten home but Gabrielle refused to admit that anything was wrong. Finally after talking in circles and arguing for what felt like hours both Xena and Gabrielle had run out of steam and decided to just go to bed with the hopes of a night's sleep being enough to cool things down between them somewhat so they could talk things over more sensibly in the morning. Suddenly Xena peeked her eye open when she felt Gabrielle get out of bed. Xena covertly watched as Gabrielle got dressed and left the room. Moments later Xena heard Gabrielle walking down the stairs where shortly after her keen hearing picked up the sound of the front door being opened and shut. Becoming very curious of where Gabrielle could possibly be going in the middle of the night, Xena got up and got dressed. After making sure that Aurora was sound asleep and knowing that she'd be fine left alone for a few minutes, Xena left the house and stealthily followed Gabrielle. She ducked behind some shrubbery when she saw Gabrielle stop amongst the trees and silently watched her.

GABRIELLE 
Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!!!

Gabrielle through a series of punches against the trunk of a tree. After several moments Gabrielle tired herself out as she sunk down along the tree and leaned her forehead against the tree.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Evan after everything nothings changed. How many times am I gonna have to Xena save me? Because of me one day she's gonna end up being killed. Along with everyone else around who tries to protect me. I couldn't even save my own child when Aurora was kidnapped. Instead I ended up being seriously injured then because of that becoming so sick that I put Xena in a situation that she didn't want with becoming queen. Which in turn put her in danger when she had to deal with a situation that should've been my responsibility. Then to make me happy Xena agreed to remain queen with me and had to relive all those horrible memories. When does it end? How many times am I going to cause problems for everyone around me simply because I'm not capable of standing on my own?

Xena watched in silence from the shadows as Gabrielle pounded the ground beside her in frustration.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) This has to stop. I know I've said this to myself before but now I'm serious. Starting right this moment I'm going to make sure that the Gabrielle we saw today will never be seen by anyone ever again.

Pt.11

The sun had barely begun to arch over the horizon when Gabrielle awoke. She carefully pulled down the blanket and slid out of bed. Moving slowly to not disturb Xena. Gabrielle had come back home rather late the night before after working out alot of her pent up frustration on the trees and found it rather difficult to sleep when she did return. She had so much running through her mind and knew that she wouldn't be able to really rest until she did something about it. After getting dressed in her typical clothing instead of the Amazon attire she'd been wearing and packing a small bag, Gabrielle placed a scroll on the foot of the bed and silently made her way downstairs and left the house. The village was quiet at this hour. Hardly anyone was up and about which was exactly what Gabrielle was counting on. She made her way to the fields where the horses were kept. The women in charge of the stables were just getting outside and beginning their daily routines when Gabrielle approached them. After making up some fake reason for why she didn't want to take Argo for wherever she was going and smooth talking her way into borrowing a horse, In truth the reason Gabrielle didn't take Argo was because she was Xena's horse. And Gabrielle was on a mission to do what she felt needed to be done without involving anything from Xena. Or really anyone for that matter. But she figured that smooth talking her way into borrowing a horse didn't count as getting assistance since she used her natural gift of gab to get it. So with a very specific plan in mind Gabrielle rode out of the village and disappeared into the distance. A good time later Xena turned over in her sleep as her arm moved to Gabrielle's side of the bed. Feeling something missing Xena peeked opened her eyes.

XENA 
Gabrielle? 

Not seeing Gabrielle beside her, Xena opened her eyes fully as she slowly sat up. Xena listened for signs of movement elsewhere in the house but everything was silent except for the birds chirping out the window. Xena could tell from the suns position that she had woken up slightly later than usual. She sighed as she stretched out figuring that she had slept in due to the stress of the past few days. Which made it seem even stranger that Gabrielle had beat her in waking up first. Especially after everything that had taken place the day before. Then Xena sighed to herself as she remembered how bothered Gabrielle seemed to be from everything they had seen inside the spirit realm.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) She must've had more on her mind about that then I realized. Once again Xena you're damned past is coming back to haunt you... and Gabrielle. I should go find her so we can have a talk about this.

Xena got out of bed and then noticed the scroll Gabrielle left when it fell on the floor. Curious about what it was, Xena picked it up, unrolled the parchment and read the note that Gabrielle had left.

NOTE
Xena,
I've gone out for the day. Don't worry I'll be fine. I just wanted to get a few things. I'll be back later today.
        Gabrielle 

Xena turned the paper over hoping that more was written on the back. Such as where Gabrielle had even gone but there was nothing.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) She didn't actually leave the village by herself did she?

Determined to find out Xena quickly got dressed, got Aurora and left the house to ask around if the others in the village had seen Gabrielle. But when no one Xena asked had seen her, Xena became increasingly worried. After having Iris watch the baby for a bit Xena did a more thorough search for Gabrielle and found herself at the stables.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) You did what?!

STABLE HAND
Gabrielle asked to use a horse early this morning. I couldn't just say no.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) You didn't even think to ask where she was going so early in the morning?

The Amazon got a nervous expression on her face as she shrugged.

STABLE HAND
She's my queen so I felt it wasn't really my place to ask.

Xena scowled. She wanted to knock the woman out for letting Gabrielle leave without alerting anyone, but knew that she technically didn't do anything wrong and sighed.

STABLE HAND 
Sorry.

XENA 
No it's fine. Just in the future if she leaves make sure that someone else knows.

STABLE HAND 
I can do that.

XENA 
Good.

Xena turned away to leave but stopped for a moment at she looked back at the woman.

XENA 
Oh and by the way technically I'm still queen right now not Gabrielle.

With that Xena walked away.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself/ Irritated) I swear if Gabrielle's not back by the time the sun begins to set I'm gonna find her then once I do we are going to have a very long talk. 

Meanwhile Gabrielle brought the horse she was riding to a stop as she reached a city that wasn't too far from the secret village. After hopping down from the saddle, she paid the local stable man to care for the horse until she came back for it. Then Gabrielle entered the city proper. She walked around the busy streets as she made her way through the city folk on their daily routines. Finally Gabrielle found her way to the city's market district. There she browsed through the various shops and stalls set up. Though unlike normal when she and Xena would visit larger cities, Gabrielle didn't take her typical leisurely time looking at the variety of items and wears up for sale. No this time she was on a mission and refused to allow herself to become distracted with such frivolous activities. Gabrielle stopped at a clothing stall where she found a couple of things that caught her eye. She picked up a reddish-brown top by the strings that tied around the neck and back and took a better look at it before holding it up to her torso to try and gage how it might look on her. Seeing that it covered enough but left her mid section exposed. Gabrielle smirked to herself as she thought that Xena would probably like the top on her.

SHOP KEEPER 
I think that would look very nice on you dear.

Gabrielle smiled at the kind woman.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks. I think I know someone else who would probably agree. I'll get it then.

Gabrielle looked a bit more and found a reddish skirt that she thought matched the new top nicely. Along with some new boots and a pair of small braided armbands that Gabrielle thought tied the whole outfit together. She then paid the woman and was about to continue on her way when she was surprised to spot several Amazonian styles pieces of clothing amongst all the rest. They were a bit more simplistic than what she had been wearing but she still liked them. The top was mostly a medium shade of brown that tied behind her back, came down to just under her chest with fringe on the bottom. Though it was much more low cut than Gabrielle's typical style, she liked it anyway.

SHOP KEEPER 
I'm sure that someone you mentioned would probably like that on you as well.

Gabrielle chuckled a little knowing that Xena did infact like her in Amazon stuff.

GABRIELLE 
Oh she definitely will.

SHOP KEEPER 
In that case, here.

The woman looked through the items for a moment before pulling out a skirt that matched the top. It was short, dark brown with lighter brown fringe that went all around the waist.

SHOP KEEPER 
It looks like it might be your size.

Gabrielle took the skirt and looked it over, holding it to her waist to get an approximate measurement before she smiled.

GABRIELLE 
It's perfect. 

Then Gabrielle thought of something. Amazon items weren't typically found outside of Amazonian settlements unless they were being sold as spoils from raids on villages after capturing the women to be taken into slavery. It was a very sad and harsh reality for many in the Amazonian nation. For some reason tribal women were very appealing to many who only sought to use them for their own sick and twisted desires. Much like the slaver Arsen that Gabrielle, Xena and the rest of the village had stopped shortly after first arriving in the secret village. So while Gabrielle didn't take the woman for being involved in the slave trade, she couldn't help but ask about the items just incase.

GABRIELLE 
Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to get some of your merchandise?

The woman noted that Gabrielle was taking about the Amazonian style items. And somewhat knew of the many hardships that Amazon's could face from the world outside of their tribes.

SHOP KEEPER 
Oh don't worry young lady, a while back I was traveling and happened to come across some Amazon's who traded some of their things for mine.

Gabrielle didn't get the sense that the women was lying so she decided to buy the Amazon clothes as well.

SHOP KEEPER 
(Joking tone) You young woman and your clothes.
By the way I hope you don't mind me asking but you don't really look like one. So I was wondering if you wouldn't happen to be an Amazon yourself would you? 

Gabrielle smiled at the woman as she began to leave, not knowing how many times she'd heard the whole you don't look like an, insert thing she didn't supposedly look like here comment. Whether it was being an Amazon, their queen, a well traveled adventurer, fighter and so on. But Gabrielle was determined to see to it that this was another thing that was very soon going to change.

GABRIELLE 
Actually I am.

And with those simple words Gabrielle went on her way. She continued walking through the city. She passed by more shops and stalls and bought a bite to eat as well as a couple small things that happened to catch her eye while she continued looking around. Finally she came across a building that was obviously a blacksmith and weapon shop.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Perfect this is exactly what I was looking for.

Gabrielle stuffed the last bite of her food in her mouth and went in. Once inside she gave a polite smile to the man running the shop behind the counter and began looking around.

BLACKSMITH 
Hello young lady. Are you lost?

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself/ Irritated) Why because I look so sweet and innocent that I couldn't possibly know how to use any kind of weapon?
Nope I know right where I am.

BLACKSMITH 
Okay then. Well let me know if I can help you with anything.

GABRIELLE 
I will.

Gabrielle looked around the shop for a bit at the variety of weaponry for sale. Swords, axes, maces, daggers, bows and arrows of all sizes and shapes. Both one handed weapons and two. There were so many. Gabrielle even saw a number of weapons that she had never seen before. She figured that this man must have trade deals with different far off lands and wondered if Xena would know what some of them were due to her extensive travels in the days before they had met. As Gabrielle continued to look around she saw a couple of staffs leaning in the corner that were similar to the one she had before it got broken. She picked one up and looked at it for a moment.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) I do know how to use a staff pretty well buuut...

Gabrielle put the weapon back.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) I think having something that's apparently too easy for my opponent to grab and take away is a real problem. I'm not making that mistake again.

Gabrielle continued to browse.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Hmm. Sword? Neh, I've never really been good with those when I tried using Xena's a few times. Axes or maces? No too big and bulky. Plus I don't exactly have the arm strength to be swinging one of those around. Bow? I'm pretty sure that takes a long time to really get the hang of one of those. Plus if someone gets up close I'd be in trouble. 

Gabrielle sighed to herself.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Not to mention that these are all highly leathal weapons. I might wanna be able to defend myself better but I still don't wanna kill my opponent unless I really have no other choice.

After not seeing anything Gabrielle begin to leave.

BLACKSMITH 
Nothing catch your eye?

GABRIELLE 
No not today.

BLACKSMITH 
Maybe I can help.

Gabrielle shrugged figuring it wouldn't hurt to tell him the sort of thing she was looking for.

BLACKSMITH 
So let me make sure I got everything straight. You want something that you can defend yourself with. Can't easily be disarmed or taken from you. Isn't roo big and heavy. But also isn't necessarily leathal.

GABRIELLE 
Yes.

Gabrielle saw the blacksmith think for a moment as he looked around his shop.

GABRIELLE 
Though I'm sure the type of thing I'm looking for may be fairly difficult to find.
(Thinking to herself) If such weapons even exist at all.

BLACKSMITH 
Oh don't worry about that. I'm just trying to think...

The man's voice trailed off as he walked out from behind the counter and into a back room. Gabrielle stood there for several minutes as she heard the man rummaging through things in the other room. She looked out the nearby window and saw that it was later then she thought.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Oh boy the suns gonna be setting soon. I better get back soon before Xena starts leading a search party for me.

She was about to tell the blacksmith never mind when he heard him make a celebratory shout.

BLACKSMITH 
Ah ha! I knew I still had this box back here.

Gabrielle watched as the man came back and placed a medium sized wooden box down on the counter in front of him.

BLACKSMITH 
I think I might have just the type of thing that you're looking for.

The man opened the box and showed Gabrielle what was inside.

GABRIELLE 
Oh wow. I've never seen anything like this before.

BLACKSMITH 
Well weapons like this aren't typically found in these parts.

GABRIELLE 
But since I've never seen things like this I wouldn't have a clue for how to use it.

The blacksmith smiled.

BLACKSMITH 
While I'm far from an expert I could at least tell you the basics if you're interested.

GABRIELLE 
Unfortunately I don't really have time for a long lesson. I should really be getting back home soon.

BLACKSMITH 
It won't take long. Plus I'd hate to sell someone a weapon that they can't use properly and they end up getting killed as a result.

GABRIELLE 
I suppose if it doesn't take too long. 

Gabrielle thought for a moment.

GABRIELLE 
Okay I'd like that. That is if it isn't too much trouble.

BLACKSMITH 
Not at all.

GABRIELLE 
Thank you.

So after learning the basic uses of her new equipment, Gabrielle paid the man and went back to the stable where she had left the horse she rode to the city on. Then with everything she bought tucked into the saddle bags, Gabrielle mounted the horse she borrowed and headed back home.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Hopefully Xena's not too upset with me when I get back. But even if she is I'll just tell her that this was just simply something that I had to do whether she likes it or not.

Pt.12

It was late in the day as the sun had mostly made its descent from the sky and Gabrielle rode back into the secret village. She returned the horse she borrowed to the stables and got an earful from the woman there about Xena becoming upset with her for Gabrielle leaving. 

GABRIELLE 
Sorry about that. I'll be sure to talk to her about that.
(Thinking to herself) Yup as I thought, Xena is not happy about my going out without telling her. I'm gonna end up hearing it when I get back to the house. Oh well it's not like I didn't expect that reaction anyway.

So after gathering the satchel of everything that she got while she was out, Gabrielle made her way back home. She opened the front door to the house and went inside. After putting down everything she way carrying on the floor by the couch, Gabrielle walked back to shut the door. As she was about to turn around from doing just that she heard Xena's voice.

XENA 
(Flat tone) Must've been a nice day for a trip.

Gabrielle sighed already knowing that this wasn't going to go anywhere good and turned as she leaned back against the door and she spotted Xena sitting on third step from the bottom of the stairs leading to the upper level of their home idly fiddling with the note Gabrielle had left before she had woken up in her hand.

GABRIELLE 
Actually it was.

Xena kept her voice neutral but Gabrielle knew that she wasn't happy with her.

XENA 
So where'd you go all day?

Gabrielle could feel the tension between them already building but kept up the charade of the plesent, casual conversation that they both knew they weren't really having.

GABRIELLE 
Nowhere special. Just decided to take a trip to the city that's not too far from here.

XENA 
You must be tired from your long day I bet.

GABRIELLE 
No not really.

XENA 
So what was so important that you had to run off and get without telling anyone where you were going.

Gabrielle shrugged.

GABRIELLE 
Nothing particularly special.
(Thinking to herself) Technically not a lie.

Finally Xena grew tired of playing this little game and switched to the more direct approach for getting the answers she wanted from Gabrielle.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) So let me get this straight Gabrielle. You go out all day, don't tell anyone where you're going. Leave some ridiculous note just saying that you'll be back later with no actual timeline for when. And you're saying that you had no particular plan for what you were doing?

GABRIELLE 
What I can't go out somewhere if I want to.

Xena crumpled up the paper she was still holding, stood and tossed the paper aside as she moved closer to where Gabrielle still stood.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) You know full well that's not the issue here.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated/ Sarcasm) Oh right I forgot to get an esort of some kind before hand.

Xena scowled as she stopped in front of Gabrielle.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Don't play dumb Gabrielle. You know your free to go places on your own.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) But only if you say it's okay first

XENA 
(Irritated tone) No but I would like to at least be filled in on where you're going.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) You're not my mother Xena. I don't need to tell you or anyone where I'm going or what I'm doing.

That was it. Xena tried to be decently composed about the situation but after the way Gabrielle had been acting recently, worrying where she was all day and now not getting a straight answer for why Gabrielle had just up and left without a word, Xena lost her temper.

XENA 
(Angry tone) You're right I'm not your mother, but I am about to be your wife. So I would think that you would at least have the decency to say where you're going in case anything happened to you while you were out.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Oh here we go back to "Gabrielle is incapable of doing anything on her own" once again. You know full well that I can handle myself Xena.

XENA 
(Angry tone) This is not the same thing and you damn well know that.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Oh its not? Okay then Xena since you insist that this is different why don't you tell me just what it is exactly that's the problem with me going out without telling anyone.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Because after all the time we've spent on the road you should be well aware of just how dangerous it can be for anyone traveling alone out there. Even for highlly skilled fighters. Of which incase you forget, you are not one of. And on top of that you don't even have anything to defend yourself if you run into trouble. You'd be left completely defenseless and no one knowing where you are if you were attacked. What you did today wasn't just incredibly reckless, it was also very stupid.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) So now I'm both incapable AND stupid?!

XENA 
(Angry tone) No I said what you did was stupid.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone)! I fail to see the distinction.

Knowing that at this point they weren't making any progress on the actual problem, Xena threw her hands up in frustration.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Oh enough of this. 

Xena took a breath in an effort to calm herself down as she went and sat on the couch.

XENA 
Listen we both know that there's obviously more to this than you just deciding to leave the village unannounced today. So why don't you finally tell me why exactly you've been acting so differently lately.

GABRIELLE 
(Lying) I don't know what you're talking about.

Xena sighed.

XENA 
Come on Gabrielle you just got done accusing me of insulting your intelligence. Of which I didn't. So I'd appreciate if you could at the very least do the same for me.

Gabrielle didn't say anything.

XENA 
Look after the whole confusion around Aurora's conception I thought we both agreed not to keep things from one another anymore.

Xena reached out and gently placed her hand on Gabrielle's arm as she looked into Gabrielle's eyes with complete sincerity.

XENA 
Please Gabrielle. I know that something's been bothering you. Just talk to me. I'm sure I can help you fix whatever it is.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) I don't need you to fix anything Xena.
(Thinking to herself) That's the whole point. How does she still not get that?

Xena rubbed her forehead in frustration.

XENA 
So you're really not gonna tell me what's wrong?

Gabrielle didn't say anything.

XENA 
Well if that's how it's gonna be, fine.

Xena learned back in her seat.

XENA 
Then since we're obviously having trouble communicating at the moment I don't think getting married would be a very smart move right now. So until you wanna either talk about what's wrong or sort things out yourself, I'm not continuing with the test. And the joining ceremony is canceled until further notice. That is if we still even get married at all. But that'll be up to you.

Out of anger, stubbornness and frustration Gabrielle glared at Xena as she said something that she instantly knew wasn't true at all.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) You know what Xena if that's how you really feel, then that's just fine with me. Consider the wedding called off.

And with that Gabrielle walked to the front door and left the house. Slamming the door behind her as she walked away. Xena heard the baby begin crying from upstairs and got up to tend to the child as she wondered just how and where things between Gabrielle and herself had gone so wrong.

Pt.13

It would soon be dark as Gabrielle sat by herself near the lake within the village as the sound of the rushing water from the waterfall surrounded her while she tried to calm down from the heated argument she just had with Xena. She picked up a stone and tossed it across the water. Watching as it skipped a couple times along the surface before sinking. Gabrielle remembered the scene of herself and Xena by the lake and sighed. But then she also recalled the multiple scenes from her visions as she grabbed another larger stone and angerly chucked it into the water with a decent sized splash. Still fuming Gabrielle grabbed another and threw it hard into the water. Then picked up yet another stone.

?
(Sarcasm) This lake must have done something pretty terrible to earn a personal stoning from the Amazon queen herself.

Gabrielle looked behind her and saw Ephiny standing a few feet away before turning back and sending the stone into the water with the rest she had thrown.

GABRIELLE 
Sorry Ephiny but I don't really want company right now.

EPHINY 
Yeah I wouldn't expect you to be in a good mood after having it out with Xena like that.

Gabrielle looked back at Ephiny.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated/ Sarcasm) Oh great, since when did Xena become the village gossip.

Ephiny walked over and sat down in the grass near Gabrielle.

EPHINY 
Actually I haven't seen Xena. But basically half the village could hear you two going at it. 
(Joking tone) And not in the usual way either.

Gabrielle scowled at Ephiny.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) You know you pick the worst times to try your hand at being funny.

EPHINY 
Yeah I think I remember Xena saying something like that to me a while ago too.

Gabrielle scoffed at the mention of Xena's name as she looked away and gazed out at the water.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Was there something you actually wanted Ephiny? Because if not I'd really prefer to be left alone right now.

EPHINY
Actually I did come to talk to you. And see if you were okay.

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) I knew it. Xena did send you to talk to me didn't she?

EPHINY 
Gabrielle I promise I hadn't spoken to Xena all day. I'm here because you're my friend. It's not like you to get so worked up like that.

Gabrielle looked away. She actually did feel bad for lashing out at Xena like she had. But at the same time she couldn't fight the strange suffocating feeling that she'd been dealing with for a while now. Seeing the anger leave Gabrielle's face, Ephiny continued. Though she decided to try and choose her words carefully seeing how clearly angery Gabrielle already was and didn't want to upset her further.

EPHINY 
Listen I'm not really one to pry into people's personal lives but both you and Xena are very good friends of mine. And it's rare to see two people who obviously love each other see deeply. So I'd really hate to see the two of you lose that.

Gabrielle returned her attention towards Ephiny.

GABRIELLE 
Ephiny you're not seriously questioning if I still love Xena are you?

EPHINY 
Of course not. A blind man could see how much you and Xena care for one another. But it's obvious that there's something going on between you. And don't try and tell me that it's nothing or just pre wedding nerves. In fact it wasn't too long ago that you both were excited about getting married. So what happened? Was it the tests?

GABRIELLE 
Kind of. But not in the way you probably think.

EPHINY 
Okay? Care to explain?

Again Gabrielle looked out at the water.

GABRIELLE 
Ephiny, if two people love each other but one person doesn't like who they've been anymore and wants to change but is afraid of what the other person will think of what they might be becoming, do you think that they should just stay the same because it's easier? Or do they follow what they feel they need to do regardless of what might happen?

Ephiny was quiet for a moment as she pondered her answer, knowing that Gabrielle was obviously talking about herself and Xena. Then she spoke.

EPHINY 
While I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, personally I think that we all grow and change with time. But if someone really feels that's what's necessary for them to be happy with themselves, then I think if the other person truely loves and cares for them then they'll understand.

GABRIELLE 
And if not?

EPHINY 
Then maybe those two people just weren't really ment to be together.

GABRIELLE 
(Defeated tone) I see.

Hearing the hurt in Gabrielle's voice Ephiny quickly continued.

EPHINY 
But I think trying to work things out before just giving up can help. Maybe you should try actually talking to Xena about the way you've been feeling.

Gabrielle looked at Ephiny.

GABRIELLE 
(Defeated tone) She wouldn't understand. 

EPHINY 
Maybe, maybe not. But I do know that she loves you. I think it's at least worth a shot, don't you?

GABRIELLE 
I can't.

EPHINY 
Why not?

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Because I can't keep relying on Xena to do everything.

Gabrielle stood up.

GABRIELLE 
I just can't.

EPHINY 
Gabrielle...

GABRIELLE 
No this is something that I have to deal with on my own. Now if you'll excuse me I have things to do.

With that Gabrielle walked away. Ephiny stood up and watched Gabrielle leave.

EPHINY 
(Thinking to herself) Maybe I should go find Xena. I bet she's worried about Gabrielle right now anyway.

Ephiny began making her way to Xena and Gabrielle's house when she spotted Xena going into the mees hall with Aurora. So she changed her direction and followed Xena. Inside Xena sat at an empty table with the baby in her lap after grabbing a small plate of food. She looked up after giving Aurora a piece of bread for her to gum and saw Ephiny as she motioned to the seat across from her.

EPHINY 
This seat taken?

XENA 
(Sarcasm) You don't see anyone sitting there do you?

EPHINY 
(Sarcasm) Sure Ephiny you can sit there. Join me won't you.

Xena gave Ephiny a mock disapproving glance as Ephiny sat down.

XENA 
When did you become such a smart ass?

EPHINY 
(Half joking) I think it's from being around you too much.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Funny.

Xena took a bite of food and gave small piece of fruit to the baby.

EPHINY 
Anyway there is a reason that decided to sit with you Xena.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) You mean other than to be graced with my naturally charming personality.

EPHINY
I happened to see Gabrielle a little bit ago.

Xena put down her food.

XENA 
And?

EPHINY 
I know it's not my business but I really think something's wrong. I think you two need to talk.

XENA 
I've tried. She won't talk to me.

EPHINY 
Keep trying. I don't know what it's from but I just have a feeling that there's alot of hurt going on in Gabrielle's mind. 

XENA 
Well apparently there's nothing I can do about it.

EPHINY 
Actually there is.

Xena gave Ephiny a curious expression.

EPHINY 
Sometimes all we can do is be there for the people we love. Even when we don't know what they might be going through.

XENA 
Yeah I know. I still wish Gabrielle would talk to me though. She just pushes me away and won't let me help her. And I don't know what I did wrong.

EPHINY 
Maybe you didn't do anything and she just doesn't want you to know what's going on for whatever reason. I mean that's kind of what you did when you first learned that you were pregnant with Aurora.

XENA 
Yes but I did that to protect Gabrielle from getting hurt until I could figure out how it happened. But now whatever going on with her feels different. 

Xena was quiet for a moment as she thought of something.

XENA 
And I think it might have an idea of where I can start looking for the answers for what might be wrong.

With that Xena got up and took Aurora with her as she left the mess hall.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) I just hope that I can get to the bottom of this before Gabrielle and myself drift too far apart.

Meanwhile Gabrielle was back at home in her and Xena's bedroom. She sat on the bed as she went through the various items she had bought earlier in the day. She finished taking out the new clothing and held the new weapons in her hands for a moment.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) I'm gonna have to put these somewhere Xena won't them when I don't have them on me.

She put them back in their box and looked in the satchel for what remained inside. She reached into the bottom and pulled out the last small object left. She sat there looking at the sharp, metal object for a moment as some of various images from the visions within the spirit realm passed through her mind once again. Gabrielle then looked over at the mirror that stood in the room and closed her hand around the object as she stood up and moved closer to her reflection with conviction for what she was about to do.

Pt.14

There was a knock on the door and after a moment it was opened by Cora who saw Xena standing outside with Aurora in her arms.

CORA
Oh hi Xena. Is there something I can do for you?

XENA
Actually I was hoping that I could talk to you about something.

CORA
Of course. Come in.

Cora gave a little smile to the baby as she let Xena in and shut the door as Xena sat on some pillows with Aurora in her lap. Cora walked over to a table and began pouring a couple cups of tea.

XENA
(Joking) Have you ever considered getting some actual chairs in here?

CORA
No not really. Sitting places with no backs is good for posture. Plus pillows are more comfortable anyway. Especially in my line of work.

After finishing pouring the tea Cora walked over sat across from Xena in another pile of pillows as she handed Xena one of the cups. Xena looked at the liquid and gave it a subtle sniff.

CORA
Relax Xena it's just a cup of tea. I was just about to have some before you came over and it would've been rude to drink and not offer you any.

Xena gave an appreciative smile as she took a couple sips from the cup and sat it down. Cora drank some of her own then placed her tea down as well.

CORA
But I highly doubt that you came here today for tea time. So what can I do for you?

XENA
Actually I was hoping you might have some kind of insight or help me figure out what's been going on with Gabrielle lately.

CORA
What do you mean?

Xena explained that Gabrielle had been acting very different and that she'd been unable to get any answers from Gabrielle as to what was bothering her.

CORA
I see. And when did you first begin to notice this sudden change in Gabrielle?

XENA
It was right after we came back from our first trip into the spirit realm. At first I thought it was because she was afraid of what she saw. That dark part of my past that she hadn't actually witnessed first hand until then. But...

Xena paused as she even in that moment she still tried to figure out what it was that Gabrielle was refusing to talk to her about as Cora caught on to where Xena was going.

CORA
But now you think that it might be something else completely.

XENA
Exactly. I've tried to get her to talk to me but all that's done is lead to us arguing and ending up right back where we started.

CORA
So why come to me? Not that I don't wanna help you if I can. I'm just curious. After all I've dedicated my life to my work as a spiritual guide. So I'm not really an expert on relationships

XENA
Because I thought that you could use your abilities to possibly help provide some kind of insight to what Gabrielle might be going through.

CORA
I see.

Cora went silent for a moment as she thought.

CORA
I can help in some regard. But unfortunately I can't just send you into the spirit realm and show you what Gabrielle's thinking. It doesn't work like that.

XENA
I know that Cora. I do have some experience with the spirit realm. So I know a good amount of how things work in there.

CORA
Oh right. I forgot about your list of "many skills". I guess just wasn't aware that dealings within the spirit realm was one of them.

Xena gave a false menacing smile.

XENA
(Joking) Must be something in the water that's making everyone think they can get away with being a smart ass to me today.

Cora smiled, seeing right through Xena's mock anger.

CORA
(Joking) Could be.
But seriously if you really want to get to the bottom of Gabrielle's odd behavior as you put it, I would need you both here to do that.

Xena sighed.

XENA
I really don't think she's gonna go for that right now. For some reason she doesn't seem to want me to know what's wrong.

CORA
So you thought coming here to go behind Gabrielle's back and violate her private thoughts and feelings would be a good idea for fixing whatever might be wrong? And what do you think would happen once she found out? Or did you just think and hope that she wouldn't?

Xena looked away in shame as in her desperate attempt to find out what was happening with Gabrielle she hadn't even considered the ethical and moral issues with what might've happened if Gabrielle discovered that she did such a thing. Or that fact that she had asked Cora to help her.

XENA
I'm sorry I guess I hadn't thought about it that way.

Xena looked back at Cora.

XENA
I just don't know what else to do. I'm worried about her.

CORA
I know. That much is obvious.

Cora finished her tea and put her cup aside.

CORA
You know I think that the test coming up in a few days might be just the thing you both need for sorting out your problems.

XENA
I really don't think that's gonna work.

CORA
Why's that? The test isn't possible to complete without good, clear teamwork and communication. Which as you've explained it to me, seems to be one of the major problems for you and Gabrielle right now.

Xena sighed as she got a sad look in her eyes.

XENA
Actually I meant it wouldn't work because after becoming mad and frustrated with Gabrielle not talking to me, I kind of told her that the wedding and tests were off until she did.

Cora shook her head disapprovingky.

CORA
(Sarcasm) And I'm sure that went over very well didn't it?

XENA
Yeah, I could tell that she wasn't happy about that at all. Even though she tried to pretend it didn't bother her. It's not like I don't still wanna marry her. I just...

Cora could see how much the whole situation was obviously bothering Xena.

CORA
It's okay. We've all said things we didn't actually mean in the heat of the moment. While there's nothing you can do to erase what you said, you can go back and patch things up from what happened today. It won't solve everything, but at least you won't have that hanging over your head as well as everything else.

XENA
Maybe. But that still doesn't help me figure out what's wrong with Gabrielle.

CORA
No, but it's a start. Plus like I said this next test might help shed some light on that. You just need to hope that Gabrielle agrees to continue now.

XENA
I really hope so.

Meanwhile as Xena had been speaking with Ephiny and then Cora, Gabrielle was standing in front of her full length mirror in their bedroom. She held the last item she had bought that she pulled out of her bag as she looked at her reflection.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) This is just one more step to getting rid of "that" Gabrielle forever.

And with that thought Gabrielle gathered some of her hair in her grip and used the scissors that she held to begin to cut away long, golden locs. All the while feeling as though she was cutting away from the images that she had seen of herself within the spirit realm.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) No more easy target.

"Clip".

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) No more needing someone to save me.

"Snip".

 

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) No more not being able to protect the people who matter to me.

"Cut".
It took a bit but once Gabrielle was done she stood with a pile of hair at her feet as she stared at the new reflection looking back at her in the mirror. She gave a satisfied smile as her once long hair was now in the style of a fairly short bob.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) Huh not too bad. It's different, but not bad.
(Thinking to herself Sarcastically) Let's see how easy it is to grab my hair now.

A little later after Gabrielle cleaned up, Xena came back home with Aurora.

XENA
Gabrielle I'm back. Look I'm sorry about earlier I just...

Xena stopped mid sentence as she saw Gabrielle sitting on the couch and noticed the big difference in her appearance.

XENA
Gabrielle did you cut your hair?

Gabrielle casually shrugged as she absent-mindedly ran her fingers through her now much shorter hair.

GABRIELLE
Yeah I guess I just wanted to change things up.
(Thinking to herself) Technically true.

XENA
Okay?

Next Xena noticed that Gabrielle had apparently changed her outfit as well.

XENA
And I see you got yourself some new clothes too.

GABRIELLE
Yeah while I was out I saw a couple things that caught my eye.
(Thinking to herself) Also not a lie.

Xena wasn't sure what to make of this sudden and drastic change. Not that Gabrielle couldn't change her look if she wanted to. Or that Xena didn't like it. Infact Xena thought that the short hair actually fit Gabrielle fairly well. It made her look older, more mature and even more attractive to Xena than she already thought Gabrielle was. And the new clothes certainly didn't hurt in that regard either. But the timing of Gabrielle's recent behavior paired with the sudden change in appearance did cause even more concern on Xena's part. But she decided to take Cora's advice and not push Gabrielle into telling her what was very clearly going on. Though seeing the "new" Gabrielle only made Xena even more determined to get to the bottom of whatever this was happening inside Gabrielle's head.

TO BE CONTINUED... 

Pt.15

There was still some awkward tension between Xena and Gabrielle after Xena had come back home after speaking to Ephiny and Cora. Both Xena and Gabrielle had significantly cooled off after their earlier argument that had caused Gabrielle to storm away in the first place when Xena became upset about both Gabrielle leaving the village without telling anyone as well as the fact that she knew that there was something bothering Gabrielle but Gabrielle refused to open up about it. Now Xena found herself even more perplexed with the sudden change in Gabrielle's appearance who now sat on the couch with fairly short hair and a completely different look all together. And Xena just didn't know what to make of this. Gabrielle saw the odd expression on Xena's face and assumed that she didn't "approve" of her new look.

GABRIELLE 
Everything okay Xena?
(Fake happy tone) Or did I need to inform you about my decision to cut my hair and change my clothes too?

Xena took a breath as she made the conscious decision to no longer allow herself to become angerd by the things Gabrielle was doing. She only succeeded somewhat as she put on a fake smile.

XENA 
Of course not. It's your body, you're free to do whatever you want. It's just a bit surprising to see such a big change out of the blue that's all.

Xena began walking upstairs to put Aurora to bed and stopped for a moment to look back at Gabrielle.

XENA 
Not that it really matters but I think you look very nice like this. I like it.

Xena continued upstairs and Gabrielle couldn't help but smirk.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Yeah I thought she'd like this outfit.

A little later Xena came back downstairs and sat on the opposite end of the couch. There was an awkward silence as both Gabrielle and Xena each waited for the other speak. Finally after realizing that Gabrielle was clearly waiting on her to start, Xena did just that.

XENA 
Listen Gabrielle about earlier, I'm sorry I shouldn't have yelled like that. I was just worried about you disappearing all day. No one knew where you were and when you didn't come back until late, I was afraid that something might've happened to you. It's not an excuse for yelling like I did but I just need you to understand why I was so upset.

Xena paused for a moment to see if Gabrielle wanted to say something but all she got was silence.

XENA 
You know how much you mean to me don't you? That's why I got so angry with what you did today. I just nearly lost you not long ago and then you leave the village with no one with you or anything to defend yourself with. You could've been killed or who knows what else. And before you get mad and say that I'm being overly proactive, that's not what this is. If you want more independence I'm fine with that. In fact I think that's great. I love you, I just want to be clued in on these things that's all. I don't think that's too much to ask is it? After all I do the same for you.

Xena looked at Gabrielle who was clearly thinking about what she said.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) I guess Xena does have some points here.
Okay. I accept your apology. And I'm sorry I got mad at you too.

Xena smiled. Happy that they had at least somewhat made up. She then moved on to the next subject that she had in mind to discuss but was far more cautious with the way she approached it.

XENA 
Now I don't want to start another fight but if you wanna talk to me about what's really been going on with you?

Gabrielle gave Xena a disapproving glance. Seeing Gabrielle's reaction Xena quickly backed off.

XENA 
Okay we don't have to talk about that. I'm just trying to understand what's happening here that's all. You know that you can tell me anything Gabrielle. Nothing you could say would change the way I feel about you. So just know that when you're ready to let me in, I'll be here.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks for understanding Xena.

XENA 
(Joking) Actually if I'm pretty sure the point here is that I don't which was the whole problem to begin with.

Gabrielle gave Xena a disapproving glance but then smirked. Xena smiled too as she learned forward and kissed Gabrielle.

XENA 
Well now that we got that sorted out there is still the issue of our wedding. That someone who won't be named here canceled.

Gabrielle raised her eyebrow in a very Xena like fashion.

GABRIELLE 
Someone?

Xena sighed.

XENA 
Okay. Okay. I'm sorry I said that the wedding was off. I didn't mean it and shouldn't have used something like that as an ultimatum. So if you still want to...

Gabrielle smirked.

GABRIELLE 
(Teasing tone) Oh is this your idea of how to propose to an Amazon queen?

This time it was Xena's turn for her eyebrow to go up.

XENA 
(Teasing tone) Actually if you'll recall that title is still technically mine. However I am but a humble ruler so...

Xena stood up before she knelt down in front of Gabrielle and took her hand in hers.

XENA 
Gabrielle of Potidaea, mother, bard, Amazon, former and soon to be Amazon queen again, and best thing that ever happened to me, would you make me the happiest woman in the world and do me the amazing honor of becoming my wife?

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) You know for me being the writer here you sure can have a way with words when you want to.

Gabrielle leaned forward until her and Xena's faces were barely inches apart.

GABRIELLE 
And yes Xena. I'll still marry you. Nothing would make me happier.

They both kissed several times as Xena's hands began to roam over Gabrielle's body as she returned to sitting on the couch. Gabrielle moaned as Xena began kissing down her neck and chest. It was incredibly difficult but after several moments Gabrielle finally willed herself to pull away from Xena's increasingly wondering lips, tongue and hands.

GABRIELLE 
As much as I love where this is going, I think we had better stop. If you remember we're not allowed to make love until after the ceremony.

Xena sighed as she sat back and now tried to ignore the longing sensation that had been sparked between her legs.

XENA 
(Defeated tone) Fine.
(Mumbling) What kind of stupid rule is no sex before marriage anyway? 

Gabrielle chuckled as she got comfortable on Xena's shoulder.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Don't worry I'm sure you'll live.

XENA 
(Joking) Yeah but this new look of yours definitely isn't making it any easier on me you know.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) You're welcome.
(Teasing tone) But just think of how great it'll be on our wedding night after we've had to wait so long.

Xena layed her head back and closed her eyes.

XENA 
Gabrielle thinking about having sex when I can't right now is not going to help.

Gabrielle laughed as she patted Xena's stomach and got up.

GABRIELLE 
Well it's been a very long day and I'm tired. So I'm going to bed. You coming?

Xena raised her head.

XENA 
Bad choice of words right now but yeah I'll be up in a bit. I think I'm gonna take a very cold bath or go jump in the lake first.

Gabrielle smirked as she shook her head and made her way upstairs and went to bed. Not long after Xena followed after deciding to take a quick and rather cold swim to cool things down before going to bed quickly falling asleep, mumbling to herself about "stupid rules" as she drifted off.

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy