Pt.16

The next number of days went by without incident for everyone the village. Including Xena and Gabrielle who waited to find out when they were going ro start the final stage of their tests before they would be confirmed to be joined. Once they saw her, their friends and may others in the village complimented Gabrielle on her new look. Things finally seemed to have gotten less tense between Xena and Gabrielle. Xena thought that perhaps whatever had been bothering Gabrielle, she had managed to work out on her own. Though she still wished that Gabrielle had told her about it but Xena decided that if she was fine now then it didn't really matter. But just to be safe Xena made sure to still keep an eye out for anything that seemed out of place when it came to Gabrielle. Just in case Gabrielle had become better at hiding her odd behavior. Of which she had as during the day she was just normal old Gabrielle who along with Xena would go about their daily routines and all was good between them. But at night Gabrielle was silently sneaking out of the house to practice with her new sai's in a quiet, secluded spot she had found within the village. And after her vigorous practice sessions, Gabrielle would return home, clean up, hide away her weapons, get undressed and ease back into bed beside Xena who seemed non the wiser that Gabrielle had ever even left.

XENA 
Hey you feeling okay? I've noticed you've been looking awfully tired for the past few days.

GABRIELLE 
Huh?

Gabrielle came out of the semi sleep trance she had unknowingly fallen into while packing her bag. She then shook her head to try and clear out the mental cobwebs that were beginning to form due to the lack of decent sleep. Then she smiled at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah I'm fine. I guess I just didn't get much sleep last night. I was up thinking about what the next few days are gonna be like. Plus we're up even earlier then when you usually wake up.

XENA 
I figured it would be smarter to get an early start.

Gabrielle continued putting the things in front of her into her pack as Xena watched, noticing that Gabrielle wasn't wearing her new amazon clothes. Instead she had a reddish top and skirt on.

XENA 
Did you get that outfit while you were out the other day too?

Gabrielle glanced up at Xena for a moment as she kept packing.

GABRIELLE 
Oh, yeah I thought it looked nice so I got it. I figured it might be better for me not to have my Amazon stuff on while we're out there. You know how weird alot of people get about Amazon's for some reason.

XENA 
True.

GABRIELLE 
You know it's been a long time since we've really been out on the road.

Xena smiled as she learned against the wall on the opposite side of the bed that Gabrielle had her things for the trip spread out on.

XENA 
Yeah I guess it has. I think it's been about over a year and a half going on two soon. I can't remember the last time I've even stayed this long in one place. Might not be since I was a kid. Not that I'm complaining. It's a nice change to actually have a physical place that I can consider home.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah I understand the feeling. I know it won't be forever, but I'll be happy to call this village our home for as long as we're here. Though I do gotta admit it will be nice to be back out there. I mean every other time we've taken any kind of extended trip outside the village it hasn't really been in the best circumstances.

Xena briefly remembered the various reasons that either Gabrielle and or herself had taken leave from the village. The war between the Amazon's. That whole ordeal was a mess. All of which had been sparked by Ares. Who they thankfully haven't had to deal with since thanks to Artemis. Then Xena had ventured out of the village when she became pregnant and needed answers for how that was possible. All of the confusion and trouble around the events leading to Aurora's conception and she had turned out to be a wonderful gift from Artemis who used her power to allow Xena and Gabrielle to produce a child together. Then there was the ugliness that took place when Xena and Gabrielle had to go and rescue Aurora after she had been kidnapped by Celine and Kai. That was one of the most difficult things that both Xena and Gabrielle had to go through. But for Xena it was only a short time later when things took a turn for the worse as Gabrielle took deathly ill after sustaining serious injuries from their efforts to save Aurora from her kidnappers. On the verge of death she named Xena queen. Which ment that when the village received word of a request for the Amazon queen's help, Xena was duty bound as queen to leave Gabrielle's side and go help. The combination of the dangerous trip and knowing that Gabrielle had been lying on her death bed had made that time extremely difficult and painful for Xena.

XENA 
Yeah no kidding. 

Xena smiled as she walked over to Gabrielle and thought of why the two were taking this trip out of the village.

XENA 
But at least this time us leaving the village is for a good reason.

Gabrielle smiled back.

GABRIELLE 
A very good reason.

The two kissed and Gabrielle finished packing.

XENA 
All set?

GABRIELLE 
Yup. Why don't you go drop off Aurora at Skyla and Clover's and I'll have our stuff outside when you get back. Then we can saddle up Argo and head out.

XENA 
Works for me. It's a good thing those two don't seem to mind watching Aurora. Then again I think anyone in this village would love to babysit her. 

GABRIELLE 
Well she is a wonderful little princess.

XENA 
I'll bring her in so you can say goodbye before I take her over there and we leave.

Xena left for a few minutes before returning with Aurora along with a small bag of Aurora's things to drop off with the baby. She handed Gabrielle the baby who held and kissed her goodbye telling the little girl to be good, she loved her and that they'd be back soon, before reluctantly giving her back to Xena. Xena smiled knowing that being away from Aurora for a while wasn't going to be easy for either of them. But at least they knew that she'd be safe and well cared for while they were gone.

XENA 
Okay I'll bring her over and meet you outside. You sure you can bring this stuff downstairs by yourself?

Gabrielle didn't say anything as she picked up one of the packs with little to medium effort and gave Xena a smug smile who raised her eyebrows.

XENA 
(Joking tone) I see someone's been working out.
I guess I'll leave you to it then.

With that Xena headed downstairs carrying Aurora as she left the house and brought her Clover and Skyla. Gabrielle peeked out the bedroom window to see Xena walking away from the house. She then turned away, walked back over to the bed and knelt down as she retrieved the small box that she had been keeping her sai's hidden away in when she wasn't practicing with them. After she stood up and examined the size of the box, Gabrielle realized that it wouldn't fit into her pack with the rest of her things. But she also couldn't just carry them on her right now.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Xena will definitely notice and then start asking questions about where I got these. Then give me the same old lecture about how dangerous it is to carry around leathal weapons. She'd probably end up taking them too, and treat me like I'm a child who's been caught playing around with their fathers sword or something. 

Gabrielle sighed as she thought about what to do with the weapons.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Well Xena did complain about me going out unarmed the other day sooo...

Gabrielle smiled to herself as she decided to take the items in question out of the box she'd been keeping them in and tucked them away under a couple things in her pack. Figuring that this way they could remain out of Xena's sight and she'd have relatively easy access to them incase she needed to use them. And with that Gabrielle closed up her pack, picked it up and went downstairs. After bringing both her and Xena's things for the trip outside and shutting the front door behind her Gabrielle saw Xena heading back her way. Before long they had Argo saddled and Xena straped her small pack to the saddle as she always did before picking up Gabrielle's things to do the same. Once everything was situated Xena got up into the saddle and gave Gabrielle a hand up into her usual spot behind her.

XENA 
Ready to go?

GABRIELLE 
Yup.

With Xena giving Argo the command to go, the two left the village and began making that way to the location that Cora had told them to go the day before. Along with giving them instructions for what to do once they got there. It would take a few days to reach the location anyway so Xena went at a leisurely pace so they could enjoy the scenery that they rode through.

XENA 
You know I was thinking since we have the time why don't we stop a couple places see if we can find you a new staff. We should've replaced yours when it got broken a while ago anyway.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Oh I took care of that. But I can't let Xena find out about them. At least not yet anyway. Obviously I'll have to tell her at some point. I just need to wait until the right time.
Maybe we should focus on what we gotta do for the test first. We can see about doing that later. And don't worry I'll be sure to stay on alert for any trouble in the meantime.

XENA 
Alright. Maybe we can check on the way back then. So far the time being just make sure you stay close.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) And there she goes again insisting that she needs to protect me.

Gabrielle rolled her eyes behind Xena's back as she decided to change the subject. Not wanting to start another argument.

GABRIELLE 
So I was thinking of maybe getting my own horse soon.

Xena glanced over her shoulder.

XENA 
Oh yeah? 
(Joking tone) What's wrong getting tired of riding with me?

Gabrielle hugged her arms that were already around Xena's midsection a little tighter as she smiled.

GABRIELLE 
Never. But I figured when we do eventually leave the secret village it's gonna be a bit difficult for you, me and Aurora to ride together. Especially once she gets bigger.

Xena thought for a moment.

XENA 
I suppose you do have a point. Well maybe while we're out we can look into getting you your own horse if that's what you want then.

GABRIELLE 
Xena there's no way we have enough money to buy a horse right now.

XENA 
True. But it shouldn't be that hard to make some. After all I do have...

GABRIELLE 
(Joking tone) Yeah, yeah many skills. Trust me Xena I'm very well aware of that.

Xena smirked.

XENA 
(Joking tone) Just making sure that you didn't forget.

The two rode throughout the day. Stopping a few times to give Argo a break as well as to stretch their legs and grab a bite to eat. The sun had begun to set when they rode into a clearing with a stream nearby. After seeing that it seemed to be a relatively safe area, Xena brought Argo to a hault, deciding that this would be a good place for them to stop for the night. So both Xena and Gabrielle dismounted from Argo's saddle and got to work on setting up camp. While Gabrielle was busy spreading their blankets on the ground, Xena went into their packs to get the things they needed to get started on dinner. Knowing that they kept their frying pan in with Gabrielle's things due to the whole incident of Xena using one a good while ago to defend them against a number of armed men who had suddenly attacked them one morning when her actual weapons weren't in her immediate reach. And as a result of the fight Xena had fought off their attackers. However the frying pan became an unexpected causality of battle when it ended completely destroyed in the process. Of which Gabrielle had not been all to happy about. Which was why when they got another one, Gabrielle had insisted on keeping it in with her things ever since. So Xena crouched down and began going through Gabrielle's pack as she looked for their cooking supplies. As she found what she was looking for and pulled it out, Xena spotted something she didn't recognize amung the other items. Curious Xena reached in and pulled out the unfamiliar items that just happened to be the sai's that Gabrielle had hidden in her things while packing.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) What in Tartarus?

Xena examined the items for a moment before becoming slightly angered by the fact that Gabrielle not only had gotten a hold of dangerous weapons that Xena was certain that she didn't know how to use properly. But that Gabrielle had also hidden them from her.

XENA 
Acting differently and changing her look is one thing, but this is something that she can't seriously expect me to be okay with. Obviously she knows that or she wouldn't have felt the need to hide them.

Xena grabbed all of the items she had taken out as she stood and carried it all back to the campfire where Gabrielle sat.

GABRIELLE 
Oh you were taking so long I was wondering if you needed help. Did you find everything?

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Yeah. I did.

Xena let go of everything she was holding and let it all fall on the ground at Gabrielle's feet.

GABRIELLE 
Hey watch it.

Gabrielle looked up at Xena seeing the very unhappy look on her face.

GABRIELLE 
What's your problem?

XENA 
(Irritated tone) You're a smart woman Gabrielle, you tell me.

Xena folded her arms across her chest as she looked at Gabrielle and nudged the items on the ground with her boot, implying for Gabrielle to examine them. Gabrielle looked down and then realized why Xena suddenly appeared to be so upset.

GABRIELLE 
Oh you found them.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Yeah I did. Inspite of your obvious attempt to keep them hidden. And now it seems as though we find ourselves in a very interesting situation here don't we?

Just from the sound of Xena's voice Gabrielle could tell that she was very angry. Which was exactly what Gabrielle had thought would happen if Xena had found her new weapons. But what Gabrielle didn't know was what might happen afterwards. But now there they were on their way to prove their trust and loyalty towards one another. Of which might very well have just been shattered before the test had even begun.

Pt.17 

Xena stood glaring down at Gabrielle after finding the sai's that Gabrielle had hidden amung her things while Xena had been getting their out  their cooking supplies. Gabrielle knew that Xena was not happy with her, but she was fully prepared to defend her actions regardless.

XENA
(Angry tone) So I'm assuming you got those on that little outing of yours?

GABRIELLE
And if I did? You were complaining that I went out unarmed.

Xena scowled.

XENA
(Angry tone) You know damn well that this is not what I ment.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) Why because you don't approve of my choice?

XENA
(Angry tone) Because using things like these are dangerous and you
know it.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) I'm not a child Xena. Whether you believe it or not I do know what I'm doing.

XENA
(Angry tone) Do you? Because I sure don't anymore.

GABRIELLE
What's that supposed to mean?

XENA
(Angry tone) Exactly what it sounds like. You're doing all this odd stuff and I don't have the slightest idea why.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) Oh I'm sorry it's so strange for me to not have to rely on you for every little thing in my life. You know I am my own person Xena. Whether you like it or not.

Xena let out a tired sigh as she once again tried to figure out what could've possibly had happened that led them down this rocky road that they couldn't seem to get off.

XENA
Can you please tell me how we got here Gabrielle? Because it seems as though matter how hard I try or what I say, you just insist on shutting me out.

Gabrielle looked away.

GABRIELLE
It's not like you'd understand if I told you anyway. So why bother.

Xena crouched down in front of Gabrielle.

XENA
Maybe, but you won't know until you try. So please let me in Gabrielle. Let me see if I can help with what's been bothering you.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) There you go again Xena just assuming that I need you to swoop in and solve all my problems for me. Why can't you get that I don't need you to do anything!

Xena scowled. She was beyond tired of this going back and forth with Gabrielle and  it leading nowhere.

XENA
(Angry tone) You know what Gabrielle if that's how you really feel then fine. You can do whatever you want and I won't say a word.

Xena stood back up and began walking over to where her blankets were lied out right next to Gabrielle's as they had always layed them out.

XENA
(Muttering to herself) It clearly doesn't matter what I say anymore anyway.

Gabrielle heard Xena as she stormed off, bent down and snatched them up before continuing further away until she was a decent distance from Gabrielle where she then spread it back out. Xena then walked back Gabrielle's direction who just sat there not knowing what she could possibly say that would make Xena understand why she was doing the things she was doing. Or feeling the way she felt.

XENA
It's getting late. We can figure out what we're doing in the morning.

With that Xena went and tended to Argo and grabbed a couple things from her pack before going over to where her blankets now layed and took her sword and it's sheath from from their place on her back and unhooked her chakrum from her hip as she sat down. Gabrielle watched as Xena drew her sword, picked up her sharpening stone that she had grabbed and just sat there and turned her focus on sharpening her blade in silence. Gabrielle sighed to herself as she looked away, knowing that this was something Xena tended to do when she was really upset about something and just wanted to give her mind something else to focus on. Then rest of the night was very quiet. With neither Xena or Gabrielle barely saying a word to one another, other than to relay basic nformation, such as Xena saying that she was going to gather fire wood or dinner being done cooking. That night the two slept separately on opposite sides of the extinguished fire pit. Before Xena fell asleep she looked over at Gabrielle who saw her and turned to lay on her side so her back was facing Xena's direction. Shaking her head Xena did the same as the two both eventually fell asleep.

GABRIELLE
How much further do you think it is?

XENA
Who's to say.

The two went silent as the only sound that they noticed was Argo's hooves against the ground as they walked along side the mare that Xena held loosely by the reigns. It was late morning as they continued on their way. There had been an uneasy feeling between Xena and Gabrielle since their agreement the night before. Though Xena had said that they were going ro discuss whether or not they were going to keep going, Xena later decided that she wasn't.going to use their joining as a weapon again. So she had simply said that if Gabrielle wanted to continue on then they would. Which had lead to them continuing when inspite of everything, Gabrielle had decided that she did.

XENA
Dispite the fact that I'm sure you don't want to at the moment, you know it would be quicker if we both rode instead of walked.

Gabrielle glanced over at Xena as they kept walking. Still obviously angry about the night before and didn't exactly feel like being snuggled up against Xena at the moment.

GABRIELLE
I think I'd rather walk. It's not like we have a time limit for getting there.

XENA
Fine with me, I guess we'll walk.

They continued on for a bit in more silence. Then Xena stopped as she heard a noise. Gabrielle also stopped a few steps ahead when she noticed Xena fall behind. Gabrielle was about to ask what it was when Xena drew her sword and stood tall, waiting for what she had heard to come their way. She motioned for Gabrielle to come close to her and scowled when Gabrielle deliberately ignored her command.

XENA
(Irritated Whisper) Gabrielle this is not the time for this. There's something out here and you know it's alot more difficult to split my attention on fighting and watching out for you.

GABRIELLE
(Irritated Whisper) I don't need you to defend me.

XENA
(Irritated Whisper) So are you telling me that you actually know how use those in an actual fight without ever had done so before. Because I sincerely doubt that. Now get behind me.

Gabrielle didn't listen as she pulled her sai's from her boots that she had opted to keep them in now that Xena knew about them and too her surprise didn't take away. Xena Angerly growled to herself at Gabrielle's noncompliance but also heard another growl that she knew didn't come from her, returning her attention to the surrounding area. Xena held her blade ready as she took a cautious step forward. She then heard the crack of a twig that she knew wasn't beneath either her's or Gabrielle's feet. Xena quickly turned her head towards the sound just in time to see a wild dog leap out from the bushes and lunge at her. She side stepped the animal and spotted several more as they emerged from the same place. They bared their teeth as they snarled and spread slowly spread out to surround Xena and Gabrielle. Xena shouted at the dogs to get back as the animals crept closer. Xena kept track of the dogs movements as she waited for an opening to strike before the vicious, wild beast did. But before she could the wild dogs swiftly moved in for the kill. The animals all began jumping, biting and clawing at Xena, Gabrielle and even Argo. As Xena kicked one of the wild dogs away from her she shouted for the horse to get away, who reared up to get the creature that had jumped on her off and galloped away. Xena yelled in pain as she felt one of the dogs sink it's teeth into the flesh of her leg. In response she turned her blade and drove it into the animal who released her with a whimper as it fell to the ground and died. She looked up to see Gabrielle trying to fend off a couple of the wild dogs. Gabrielle kicked one in it's side to knock it away and then threw one of her sai's at another. The creature dropped to the ground as the weapon entered its chest. Gabrielle raced over to retrieve the object. But as she bent down another of the animals ran up and tackled her to the ground.

XENA
Gabrielle!

Xena cut down another wild dog that came her way and ran towards Gabrielle. Gabrielle held back the creature from bitting her face with one arm as she tried to stab the vicious creature. But another wild dog ran by and inadvertently knocked Gabrielle's weapon from her hand and one of her immediate reach. Meanwhile the animal still on top of Gabrielle snarled as it chomped at her as she fought to get it off of her. Then Gabrielle heard a yell and then saw the wild dog get hit in it's side by something that came flying in. The animal was knocked off of her as Gabrielle looked over to where it now layed dead and saw Xena's chakrum buried in its flesh. The rest of the wild dogs decided that it was worth continuing trying to take Xena or Gabrielle as prey and ran off. Xena walked up to Gabrielle.

XENA
You okay?

GABRIELLE
Yeah.
(Thinking to herself) Damn it. After I tell Xena I don't need her to keep protecting me this happens.

Gabrielle stood up and with the vicious animal's gone Xena pulled her chakrum from the dead creature and gave a quick whistle for Argo who came trotting back unharmed. Seeing that the mare was okay, Xena turned her attention to Gabrielle, who was retrieving her sai's. And while Xena was glad that Gabrielle was unharmed, she was furious that Gabrielle had deliberately gone against what she had asked her to do.

XENA
(Angry tone) Why didn't you listen to me? I told you to stay behind me and you intentionally ignored me. What were you thinking?

GABRIELLE
I thought I had it handled.
(Angry tone) Besides I thought we were done with the whole "get behind me or go somewhere safe Gabrielle" routine.

XENA
(Angry tone) Don't you even try to turn this around on me Gabrielle.You have no clue how to defend yourself with your new weapons yet and we both know it. But yet you still decided to just do whatever you wanted anyway and it nearly got you killed.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) Don't you stand here and lecture me like I'm a child Xena.

XENA
(Angry tone) Then maybe you should stop acting like one! I'm sick and  of whatever this rebellious, moody or whatever you wanna call it attitude of yours. So I'm only gonna say this once more. Either you tell me what's going on or I'm done here and we're going back to the village.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) What happened to not using our wedding as a threat?

XENA
Oh we can still get married. It just either won't be an Amazon wedding or I'll just give up my title of queen like I was originally planning.

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) You would really do that after everything we've had to do for this just to spite me?

XENA
Spite has nothing to do with it. You're the one making things difficult here.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) Why because I'm being the good little obedient Gabrielle that I'm apparently exspected to be?

XENA
(Angry tone) Enough! I'm done with this. We're going back home, now.

Xena walked over to Argo and climbed into the saddle before turning the horse around to head back to the secret village.

XENA
(Angry tone) Now let's go.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) No.

Xena scowled as she looked back at Gabrielle.

XENA
(Angry tone) I'm not playing around Gabrielle. Let's go. Now!

Gabrielle made no effort to move which only served to anger Xena further.

XENA
(Angry tone) I'm not gonna say it again. Let's go or...

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) Or what Xena? What are you going to do, force me into the saddle? Tie me up and drag me back with you?

Xena pushed down the rage and hurt from what Gabrielle said and turned to face forward.

XENA
(Angry tone) Fine then since you don't wanna come and insist that you don't need me for anything, you should be perfectly capable of finding your own way home. Or wherever you decide to go. I don't really care anymore.

With that Xena rode off leaving Gabrielle standing there, who angerly clenched her fist around the sai's she still held as she watched Xena ride away. Then Gabrielle put her weapons back in her boots and walked off in the opposite direction with no particular task or destination in mind. As an even wider gap began to form between Gabrielle and Xena. Both physically and emotionally.

Pt.18 

It was quiet as Xena rode for a while after she and Gabrielle had yet another argument, and the two had gone off in opposite directions. She stewed for a bit in her anger and frustration with how things had been beteween Gabrielle and herself as of late. After a little time Xena came to a stream where she decided to stop and let Argo rest. She stood next to Argo and idly patted and talked to the mare as she tried to sort through things

XENA 
You know I just don't know what to do anymore. No matter what I try Gabrielle just doesn't want to open up to me. I don't know what's been bothering her but there's obviously something going on. You don't have any ideas do you girl?

Argo snorted as Xena looked back towards where she had left Gabrielle.

XENA 
Yeah I didn't think so.
(Sighing) I wonder if I should go find her. Or would that just lead to yet another agreement. What a mess.

Meanwhile Gabrielle was still walking around where Xena had left her.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Xena just doesn't get it. How could she? Fighting, defending herself and others, It's always come so easy for her. But me. How many times has Xena had to save me? I couldn't even save our child. Instead I just got beaten to within an inch of my life and then stabbed. If Xena hadn't been there... I don't even wanna think about what would've happened to Aurora afterwards. What kind of mother can't defend their own child? And what kind of queen can't be there for her people when they need her most? That's why I've been trying so hard to become someone better. 

Gabrielle stopped walking and drew her sai's from her boots to look at them.

GABRIELLE 
(Angerly thinking to herself) But what good it that doing me? I couldn't even take down those wild dogs back there without Xena's help. Even after how hard I've tried nothings changed. Damn it!

In a fit of frustration Gabrielle took the sai's and hurled them into a nearby tree. She stood there for a few moments as she let the burst of anger pass.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) What am I supposed to do here? We can't keep going on like this. I love Xena more than anything, but maybe doing all of this was a mistake after all. But even if we weren't out here right now, would things between us be any different?

Gabrielle slowly walked up to the tree that had her weapons stuck in it's trunk.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) How did everything end up getting so complicated? 

Gabrielle was about to retrieve her weapons when she heard the cry of a horse coming from somewhere behind her.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) I should've figured Xena wouldn't actually leave me out here.

Gabrielle was about to become even more agitated with Xena but then she heard the horse again. This time she noticed that something seemed off.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Argo isn't typically that noisy. Unless something's wrong. Then again it might not even be her at all.

Again the sound echoed from the distance. This was enough for Gabrielle to make up her mind. Regardless of whether it actually turned out to be Argo or not, she had a gut feeling that something wasn't right and quickly headed towards the sounds to investigate. Gabrielle walked at a hastened pace as she could hear the cries she was following becoming louder, indicating that she was heading in the right direction. It wasn't long until she spotted the source of the sounds. But unfortunately that wasn't the only thing Gabrielle found. Ducking behind a tree for a moment, Gabrielle assessed the situation that she had stumbled upon and was not happy at all with what she saw.

BANDIT
(Angry tone) You stupid animal, I said stay still!

A couple of other bandits attempted to control a frightened and injured horse that had gotten its leg caught in a spiked snare trap. The man Gabrielle heard speak tried to crouch down and pry the trap open. But the horse was so frightened and in pain that it didn't listen and tried to pull away when it's owner grabbed the trap and attempted to free the animal. The move resulted in the trap cutting the man's hand. He became angerd and stood up.

BANDIT 
(Angry tone) Ah! Damn it! Fine you wanna act so afraid, I'll give you a real reason to be scared.

The man took a whip from his belt and mercilessly struck the horse's back end with it. The creature whinnied in obvious pain as it tried to escape from it's abuser. But due to it being caught in the trap, it was unable to away. When the bandit with the whip gave the horse an apparent repeated command to keep still and was disobeyed, he lashed the animal again and the cycle restarted. Gabrielle was disgusted with what she was witnessing and refused to allow the abuse to continue. So without a second thought she stepped out into the open to put a stop to it.

GABRIELLE 
Hey what kind of coward beats a defenseless animal?!

Hearing Gabrielle's voice, the bandits turned around a saw her standing several feet away. Obviously not to happy with her intrusion into the situation.

BANDIT 
(Irritated tone) And who in Ares name are you?

GABRIELLE 
Someone who doesn't like seeing people like you hurt those unable to defend themselves. Just like what you're doing to that horse.

BANDIT 
(Irritated tone) Yeah well what "I" do with "my" property is none of your business. So I'd suggest you get lost before I decide to take my frustration out on you instead.

Gabrielle stood unintimidated by the bandit's threat as she held her sai's ready. 

BANDIT 
(Condescending tone) Oh aren't those some cute little toys.

The bandit flashed a confident grin as he drew the sword from his side.

BANDIT 
But if you insist on trying to fight me, I'll tell you what, I'll make you a deal. You some how actually beat me and I'll just walk away and you can do whatever you want with that good for nothing animal. 

The man's smile grew far more sinister as he continued.

BANDIT 
(Sinister tone) But if I win I get to slice it open and watch it bleed out for fun. Then do the same to you.

Gabrielle gripped her weapons tightly. This man was clearly sadistic but she knew it was too late to back out now. Even though Gabrielle hadn't had the chance to really practice with her sais just yet, she knew that she just needed to focus and learn from her mistakes of what happened with fighting the wild dogs. So with a stare of sheer determination directed at the bandit, Gabrielle stood ready for a fight.

GABRIELLE 
Deal.

Pt.19

There was a momentary standoff between Gabrielle and the bandits. She stood across from their leader as both had their weapons drawn and ready to fight. Gabrielle glanced at a couple of other bandits who were standing to the side as the one facing off against her, who Gabrielle assumed was likely the leader of the group spoke up.

BANDIT 
Oh, don't worry about them. They won't make it more unless I tell them to. So it's just you and me little lady.

Gabrielle played along as though she believed him. But she was smart enough to know better than to take someone like him at his word. So she would be sure to keep track of the others in the group while she was facing their leader.

GABRIELLE 
That's fine with me.

BANDIT 
(Condescending tone) Good. Then why don't we get started? I do like to consider myself a gentleman, so I'll let you make the first move being as though your a lady and all.

Gabrielle stared at him intensely.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) And here I thought chivalry was dead.

With that Gabrielle began moving slowly as she assessed her opponent. She watched his movements as he followed hers. Then in an attempt to end the conflict quickly and figuring he wouldn't be expecting it, Gabrielle launched one of her sai's in his direction. The bandit managed to dodge the sudden attack and the weapon Gabrielle threw went flying past him and landed on the ground. The bandit smirked.

BANDIT 
(Confident tone) Nice try. Now it's my turn.

The bandit leader rushed for Gabrielle and swung his sword. Gabrielle moved back as she dodged the blade aimed at her midsection. The bandit swung again in a downward arch. And again Gabrielle moved out of the way. Though this time the bandit was expecting her to do so and landed a hard kick into her side. Gabrielle felt the impact as she stumbled back a little. The bandit grinned as he took a moment to admire his handwork.

BANDIT 
(Confident tone) That looked like it hurt.

Undeterred Gabrielle came back at him. She ducked when he swiped at her, swiftly turned her hand so her weapon was facing down, and drove the bottom of her sai's handle up into his jaw. The bandit leader staggered back for a moment as he rubbed the area of his face where he was hit and scowled at Gabrielle. 

BANDIT 
(Angry tone) Okay, that actually hurt. Now you've just gone and pissed me off. So I guess play time's over. 

GABRIELLE 
Good, because I wasn't playing.

BANDIT 
(Angry tone) I hope you're prepared little lady. I don't typically find interest in beating up women because well it doesn't offer much of a challenge. So I was going easy on you before. But you've just made the biggest mistake of your life by stocking your nose in a business that doesn't concern you. So now I'm gonna show you what happens to people who dare to try getting in my way.

The bandit leader made an angry yell as he thrust his sword towards Gabrielle. She attempted to deflect his attack but was only partially successful in redirecting the strike. Instead of the blade piercing her, Gabrielle managed to shift the weapon's trajectory away from her chest and instead felt her upper arm get cut as the blade continued forward. Ignoring the pain she then shoved the bandit back and quickly lunged at him. The bandit blocked the strike with his sword. The two weapons locked up as the two struggled for control for several moments. However as Gabrielle continued in her effort to hold the bandit back, she realized that this exact scenario was something that she couldn't simply will herself into coming out successful in. The simple fact was that the bandit was just simply both bigger and stronger than her. And Gabrielle knew that there really wasn't anything that she could do about that. And the bandit leader seemed to be aware of this fact as well and used it to his advantage. He pressed his superior strength down towards Gabrielle. She tried to hold him off but was unsuccessful as she was forced down to one knee as she struggled to hold him back. She used her free arm to support the one that was locked up with the bandit's sword. Her arms began to tremble under the continuing pressure. Gabrielle knew that she wouldn't be able to keep this up for much longer. She needed to do something to create some distance between them. The bandit gave an evil smile as he saw Gabrielle beginning to waver and could already feel his victory at hand. He made a quick move of his sword which forced Gabrielle's remaining weapon from her grip and sent it a couple feet away. Now with Gabrielle unarmed, the bandit leader pressed the tip of his sword to her throat before she had a chance to move. He used the flat side of the blade to tap Gabrielle's chin and get her to look at him before returning the point to her throat.

BANDIT 
(Angry/ Condescending tone) Not so big and brave now, are you girl? You know it really is a shame that I have to kill you. Normally I like my women a little on the feisty side, but I can already tell that you'd just end up being more of a hassle than your worth.

The bandit leader gat an evil look in his eyes as he smiled.

BANDIT 
Then again you are only one woman. And you seem smart enough to be able to count and see that you're outnumbered here. So maybe I won't kill you just yet and instead, me and my buddies can have a little fun with you instead.

The bandit lightly stroked Gabrielle's cheek. Though it was difficult not to move away or show the level of disgust and fear she was feeling at the moment, Gabrielle somehow kept her face emotionless as he continued. Even with knowing a fairly well just what exactly he meant by "fun".

BANDIT 
After all, it's not every day that we come across such a cute girl like you.

Now Gabrielle was getting very tired of this man's attitude. Normally she wouldn't let someone like him get to her, but with everything that had been weighing on Gabrielle as of late and with what had happened between Xena and herself not long before, Gabrielle had reached her limit for what she was willing to put up with. She glared up at him not showing an ounce of fear in her eyes. He grinned as he crouched down in front of her, keeping his blade in place at her throat.

BANDIT 
(Sinister tone) Don't worry we'll be sure to not hurt you too badly if you behave. Well, at least I won't anyway. 

The bandit leader laughed, as did the others who began walking closer. Gabrielle knew that she was in a very bad situation that far too many in her position never survived. In that moment Gabrielle regretted every argument, every harsh word, every wall she had been putting up around her to keep Xena out of what she'd been going through. She promised that if she somehow made it out of this situation alive, she'd go find Xena and finally explain everything.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Xena, I'm so sorry about everything. If I'd just been honest with you I wouldn't be here right now. But I am and I don't know what to do. I know I said I didn't need you but I do. And not just because of this, but just in life overall. I need you with me because I love you. Even though I haven't really been acting much lately and I'm sorry for that.

Gabrielle closed her eyes in defeat as she waited for the bandits to do what they had planned. But then she remembered all of the images from her vision of her being a victim in some way and then the vow that she made to herself afterward.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) No. I promised myself I wouldn't go back to being anyone's victim ever again. I'm not that same defenseless Gabrielle anymore. She's gone and never coming back. So even if these guys kill me, I won't just lay down and let them do whatever they want with me. If I'm gonna die here, I'm gonna die fighting.

In an act of desperation, Gabrielle grabbed a hand full of dirt and threw it into the bandit leader's face. He yelled as he felt his eyes sting as he was forced to drop his guard while he tried to clear his vision. Gabrielle then kicked him away, rolled, and scrambled to her feet. She made a dash for her sai's but another of the bandits lunged at her from behind. She dodged being tackled as he landed face down in the dirt, but Gabrielle was still brought to the ground when he caught her by her ankle, tripping her. She looked back and saw the others coming at her too. Not having a moment to waste, Gabrielle rolled slightly and began using her free foot to repeatedly kick and stomp the bandit holding on to her in his face and head. After a couple of good hits, he let go and Gabrielle hurried to her feet once again and ran. She got close to where one of her sais lay and glanced over her shoulder to see the bandits right behind her. Returning her attention ahead Gabrielle closed in on one of her weapons and dove for it. She grabbed it as she rolled forward and quickly stood and turned just in time to see the bandit leader right up on her. He angrily reached for Gabrielle, never noticing that she had picked up a weapon until he felt it sinking into his chest. Gabrielle pushed hard as she took him down and landed on top of him pushing the blade deeper. The bandit leader gasped, feeling an intense pain for a moment as the weapon punctured his heart. Then he fell completely motionless and Gabrielle felt him ceasing to breathe from beneath her and knew that he was dead. She then glared up at the other bandits who had stopped dead in their tracks when they saw Gabrielle tackle their leader to the ground. Not liking the intensity that they saw burning in her eyes, they held up their hands in a defensive manner and began to back away.

BANDIT 2
You know what you can have the horse. It was his anyway.

He motioned to his dead leader.

BANDIT 2
And he doesn't need it anymore. So we'll just leave the animal with you. After all that was the agreement, you two made. 

Gabrielle noticed that the remaining bandits appeared afraid of her now. Apparently without their leader thief rest of this group were nothing but cowards. Not that this surprised Gabrielle too much. She'd seen this sort of thing plenty of times. But despite their apparent surrender, Gabrielle knew that she couldn't drop her guard just yet, in case this was a trick of some kind. Instead, she pulled her sai out of the dead bandit leader's chest and faced the rest of the bandits as she stood up.

GABRIELLE 
Then I suggest you get out of here right now. Unless you want to end up like your leader.
(Thinking to herself) I'm not sure if I could take the rest of them all at once right now. Hopefully, I didn't just overplay my win and screw myself here.

But Gabrielle's momentary concern about the remaining bandits calling her bluff was put at ease when they sheathed their weapons and slowly retreated from her. Gabrielle watched until they were out of sight before dropping her confident act as she sat right where she was and breathe a huge sigh of relief.

GABRIELLE 
Thank the gods that worked. I thought I was really in over my head for a bit there. I'm really gonna have to get better with those sai's. That was way too close for comfort. If Xena had seen me doing that...

Gabrielle let out another sigh as she thought about Xena.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) I have to go find Xena and try and fix things.

She wiped the blood from her weapon as she walked over to where her second sai was and returned them both to their places in her boots. Hearing a whinny, Gabrielle then looked over at where the now abandoned bandit's horse was still stuck in the trap. She slowly moved towards the animal who was obviously frightened.

GABRIELLE 
(Soft tone) Easy, it's okay. I'm not gonna hurt you.

The stallion shifted nervously as Gabrielle came close. He tried to back away but was held in place by the trap still on his leg. Gabrielle spoke softly and walked slowly toward the animal so she wouldn't scare him further. She knew that while horses tended to be gentle creatures, they were also very strong and could do some serious damage if they kicked or stomped on someone. Possibly even killing them. And the last thing she wanted after facing down those bandits was to get taken out by the frightened horse that she had fought their leader to save.

GABRIELLE 
(Soft tone) Shh, easy boy. Everything's okay now. I'm gonna get you out of that trap and you'll feel much better.

The horse seemed to somewhat understand and allowed Gabrielle to get close to him. Once she reached the stallion she gently touched his snout and patted him. Once she did this for a few moments, the horse appeared to calm down further. Then Gabrielle crouched down to get a better look at the trap that held the horse's back leg. After a moment she found the trap's release mechanism and then prayed it apart. Feeling the pressure on its leg release, the horse quickly pulled it away. Gabrielle swiftly moved in case the horse kicked and watched as the animal trotted a little ways from the trap. Gabrielle smiled as she saw that the stallion didn't seem to have any trouble walking on the leg that had been caught in the trap. She stood up and walked over to the animal and patted him as she crouched again to inspect the wound left by the trap, before smiling and standing back up.

GABRIELLE 
Lucky for you it doesn't seem that bad. But I'll have someone look at you when we find someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to this sort of thing better than I do just to be sure. So we'll just take it easy until then okay?

The horse snorted.

GABRIELLE 
Good. Well come on boy, for now, it's just you and me.

Gabrielle took hold of the horse's reigns and led the stallion behind her as she continued on to her still-undeterred destination. Unsure of why she still felt the need to continue on instead of heading back toward where she and Xena had parted ways. She wanted to work things out but then there was still this part of her that still felt this sense of anger towards not only Xena but also herself for everything that had been happening between them. Gabrielle knew that she needed to find Xena but first, she had to figure out a way to avoid them having another argument when she did. Because Gabrielle knew that once she went back, Xena wouldn't be happy with her and then they'd likely end up going right back to where they were when Gabrielle left.

GABRIELLE 
I'm gonna have to figure out something to tell her before I go back. 

The stallion snorted. Gabrielle patted him as they walked off.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah, I know. I'll come up with a name for you too while I'm at it boy.

By this time Xena was sufficiently worried about Gabrielle being gone so long enough to forget her anger, frustration, and pride and decided to go find her. She climbed on Argo who had been walking beside her and rode in the direction that Gabrielle had gone.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Something has to give between us. We can't keep being at one another's throats like this. I know it's not just these tests that caused it. There's something more. Something Gabrielle won't let me know what it is. If I could only get her to tell me then maybe I could...

Xena paused her train of thought as she replayed the multiple times that Gabrielle had insisted that she didn't need Xena to fix whatever was going on. That was when it truly finally sunk in for Xena. When it came to what Gabrielle was going through right now, there wasn't anything that Xena could do. For all of the skills that Xena possessed, this was just a situation that she couldn't solve. And as much as she hated to admit it, she didn't like it. It wasn't that Gabrielle couldn't be independent, but that Xena just felt unneeded and shut out. But she was determined to try and do better in that regard. After all, she wanted Gabrielle to be happy. So if dealing with whatever she was going through on her own was what she needed to be happy, then Xena was willing to try and let Gabrielle sort things out on her own while Xena stood by her side. Though she did still want to talk about Gabrielle putting herself intentionally into a dangerous situation, Xena was going to try to be more understanding of Gabrielle's position. Though she had a thought that this realization might very well be all a moot point. As she hoped that both she and Gabrielle could still fix things between them. And that she hadn't realized this too late.

Pt.20

It was getting late in the day as Xena continued on horseback to find Gabrielle. She'd been searching for a while and when she didn't see any signs of her, Xena became increasingly worried that something might've happened to her. So she gave Argo a nudge to go a little faster down the road as she kept up her search. Then a good ways ahead Xena saw a figure coming towards her with a horse walking beside them. As the two sides continued on their own trajectory, Xena gave a relieved smile when she recognized the person and sped up a bit to close the distance between them. Meanwhile, Gabrielle was walking and talking to her new horse companion when she heard the sound of hooves against the dirt road. She turned her attention forward in time to see a horse stop a few feet in front of her. Gabrielle stopped walking when she saw it was Xena, as did the horse with her. She watched as Xena hopped down from Argo and stood next to the mare.

XENA 
I was hoping I'd find you.

Gabrielle gave Xena a disapproving look.

GABRIELLE 
Why don't think I can handle myself?

XENA 
No, it's just, you were gone so long and after what happened earlier.

Xena sighed as she tried to think of the right thing to say.

XENA 
Gabrielle, you know I don't always know the right words to say. Especially as of late it seems. But then again that's always been more your thing not mine anyway. But I'm trying here.

GABRIELLE 
Trying to do what exactly?

Now Gabrielle knew full well that Xena was trying to choose her words carefully in an attempt to not upset her and apologize. But she rarely had Xena in this position, so she decided to let her squirm a little.

XENA 
Look I'm just glad that you're back. You are back, right?

Gabrielle smiled as she decided to end Xena's suffering.

GABRIELLE 
Yes, Xena. I'm back. Come on after everything we've been through together it'll take a lot more than some arguing for you to get rid of me for good.

Xena gave a relieved smile.

XENA 
That's good to hear.

Happy that Gabrielle was back and safe, Xena noted Gabrielle's new companion.

XENA 
So who's your new friend there? I know you didn't buy it because you stormed off and I have all of our money.

Gabrielle looked back at the horse for a moment then returned her attention to Xena as she casually shrugged.

GABRIELLE 
I found him.

Xena raised her eyebrow in disbelief that Gabrielle just happened to find a horse with a saddle, reigns, and no owner.

XENA 
You "found" him?

GABRIELLE 
Technically.

Xena folded her arms across her chest, knowing that Gabrielle was intentionally not telling her the full story.

XENA 
(Warning tone) Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) What do you think I stole it or something?

XENA 
Of course, I don't think you stole it. But there's obviously a reason why you don't want to tell me how you got him.

GABRIELLE 
(Sighing) Because you're not gonna like how I got him.

XENA 
(Cautious tone) Why?

GABRIELLE 
Because I know how you are Xena. I tell you and you just end up lecturing me about being reckless or not knowing what I'm doing. Just like you always do.

Xena sighed.

XENA 
Gabrielle I know I can be overprotective of you at times and I don't mean to be. I'd like to think that I've gotten better at that. But you know I only get that way when I do because I love you. And as for earlier, I'm sorry I got so upset with you. I just don't want anything to happen to you. It wasn't even just that you jumped in to the fight like that, it's everything that's been going on between us lately. I was frustrated and just lost my temper. And I'm sorry for that. I won't force you to tell me anything you don't want to. But you can't just completely shut me out of everything either Gabrielle. So I'm asking just once if you'll tell me what happened with the horse and I promise I won't get upset with what you say.

Gabrielle could see the sincerity in Xena's eyes and gave in figuring that there wasn't really anything Xena could do about it now anyway as she told Xena about her encounter with the bandits who owned the horse.

XENA 
You really did that?

GABRIELLE 
Yeah. So despite your objections to having these so-called "dangerous weapons", my having them saved my life. So it's a good thing I did have them or I probably wouldn't be here talking to you right now.

Xena thought for a moment knowing that Gabrielle was right. She still didn't exactly like the idea of Gabrielle having weapons like that but this was just one more thing that Xena would apparently have to get used to. And if they helped keep Gabrielle safe then what did she really have to complain about?

XENA 
Okay. So I might've overreacted about you having those. I just...

GABRIELLE 
I know, I know. You don't want to see me get hurt. 

Gabrielle put her hand on Xena's arm.

GABRIELLE 
But Xena you have to accept that I'm not that same girl you met outside of Potidaea back then. I've changed a lot since then. We both have.

Xena smiled.

XENA 
I guess we have.

Xena looked up at the darkening sky for a moment as night would soon be upon them, before returning her attention to Gabrielle.

XENA 
I don't think we're getting much closer to our destination today. We should probably make camp and head back out in the morning. That is if you want to anyway.

GABRIELLE 
Make camp, yes. Continue with this test, despite how difficult it's been between us also yes. It's been rough lately but I have to think that things will get better soon.

XENA 
I'm sure they will. Come on let's go find a spot to camp and I'll have a look at that horse's leg.

So Xena and Gabrielle lead their mounts to a not-far-off spot that looked like a decent place to spend the night. Once everything was set up, Xena examined the stallion and found that he'd be just fine as long as they kept the wound on his leg bandaged until it healed. Xena returned to the campfire and sat across from Gabrielle who had finished cooking dinner.

XENA 
Well, you're friend over there should be just fine.

GABRIELLE 
That's good news.

Gabrielle handed Xena a plate of food as she took hers. The two ate and spent the rest of the night going about their typical routine for when they were camped out with incident. Later as they were settled into their blankets Xena laid awake as she looked at Gabrielle sleeping beside her. The day's events replayed in her mind, along with everything else that she'd noticed changing in Gabrielle. While Xena knew that people it was completely normal for people to grow and change throughout their lives, she still couldn't help but worry about what was the driving force behind Gabrielle's metamorphosis. As well as what it could mean for both of them. This led to the same nagging questions that Xena had been desperate to find the answers to for a while now, but still felt no closer to getting. Just who was it that Gabrielle was becoming? And more importantly, why?

Pt.21

It was morning as Xena and Gabrielle continued to their destination. They decided to walk for a while, to not exacerbate the injury to the horse's leg that Gabrielle had acquired by doing too much riding. Fortunately, Xena was fairly certain that they were close to their destination anyway. So even going by foot and providing that they didn't get sidetracked for whatever reason, the journey there wouldn't take too much longer. The two walked in silence with their mounts following as they were being led by their owners. Though they had made up for their previous argument, there was still a bit of uncomfortable tension between Xena and Gabrielle. Which Xena definitely did not like and decided to try and ease that tension. At least a little bit anyway.

XENA 
Well in spite of how this trip has gone, it's nice that we've had good weather for traveling at least.

Gabrielle looked at Xena as they continued walking.

GABRIELLE 
The weather Xena, really? Come on things aren't that awkward between us.

Xena smiled.

XENA 
I know. I was just testing to see if you wanted to talk to me at all right now.

GABRIELLE 
I guess that depends on the subject.

Xena thought as she decided to ease the conversation towards what she actually wanted to discuss and casually shrugged.

XENA 
(Lying) Nothing in particular.

Gabrielle returned her attention forward unsure if Xena was trying to get something out of her or if she really just wanted to have a casual conversation.

GABRIELLE 
Then sure, I suppose we can talk.

The two walked on as they spoke. As they carried on Xena did her best to keep the conversation casual for a while and avoid anything that might spark a disagreement between them. As she did just that, Xena motioned behind them to their new horse companion.

XENA 
So have you figured out what to call him yet?

Gabrielle glanced back at the stallion who was walking beside Argo without really any difficulty despite his injury.

GABRIELLE 
I guess I hadn't thought much about it. Though I suppose I probably should give him a name. I doubt those bandits who had him even bothered to give him one.

Gabrielle returned her attention forward as she tried to think of a good name. She ran through several in her head before settling on one that she thought sounded good.

GABRIELLE 
Oh, how about Arrian?

XENA 
Arrian huh? Where'd you get that one from?

GABRIELLE 
It's the name of a great writer and philosopher. While I haven't gotten the chance to read any, I've heard that his work is really something.

XENA 
I thought you were more into those artsy type writers like Sappho. Or that guy we met a while back, Homer.

Gabrielle shrugged.

GABRIELLE 
What, I can't like both? Besides I can't name my horse Sappho, it's a boy. And I'd feel weird naming him after someone we know, so Homer's out too.

It was Xena's turn to shrug casually.

XENA 
Whatever you call him is fine with me. It's your horse.

Gabrielle looked at the stallion and was satisfied with the name that she'd come up with.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah, I think Arrian works just fine. 

The horse snorted as if approving of his new name as Gabrielle looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Well, he seems to like it at least. And besides I think Argo and Arrian has a nice ring to it. Don't you?

XENA 
Sure.

They continued onward for a bit longer before Xena decided to change the subject.

XENA 
So what do you think we're gonna have to do for the test once we get there?

GABRIELLE 
Your guess is as good as mine.

Again more silence between them. Xena thought that the situation felt somewhat ironic as she briefly considered the way Gabrielle was given short answers and really only continued the conversation when Xena was the first to engage. And the way Xena was trying to get any kind of meaningful answer out of her. It reminded Xena of how things were back shortly after they had first met. Only it was Gabrielle who was always trying to get Xena to open up and talk to her. Even not very long ago when Xena was pregnant with Aurora and was too afraid of telling Gabrielle without knowing how it happened.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Damn, it is not fun being on this side of this kind of thing. Now I know how crazy I must drive her far too often. I'm definitely gonna make a mental note to not pull the same thing again because we can't keep shutting each other out like this.

Their trip carried on as they made a few stops along the way to rest and for Xena to make sure that Gabrielle's horse, Arrian was doing okay. It was coming close to sunset when they arrived at a large cave.

GABRIELLE 
Is this it?

Xena looked around for a moment.

XENA 
Based on how Cora described it, I think so.

After leaving Argo and Arrian at the cave entrance, Xena and Gabrielle ventured inside. Xena carried a torch she made as the area grew darker the further they walked.

XENA 
Make sure you stay close Gabrielle. It's far too dark in here without any source of light. We have no clue what might be in here, so getting separated probably isn't the best idea.

Xena quickly continued with her statement realizing that it might sound like she was being overly proactive. And could feel Gabrielle's disapproving glance.

XENA 
Not that you can't handle yourself. What I meant was we're going to the same place anyway so it would be inconvenient for us to get split up. Plus no matter how skilled someone is when faced with the unknown it's always smarter to air on the side of caution until we figure out what we're dealing with.

Gabrielle's expression softened.

GABRIELLE 
Oh, that makes sense.

Xena sighed to herself as she successfully avoided another problem.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself Sarcastically) How the mighty has fallen. I was once the feared leader of a massive army who was known far and wide for taking down any who opposed me for anything that I decided that they had done to piss me off. And never gave much of a second thought to any of it. But now here I am walking on eggshells because I don't wanna accidentally say the wrong thing and end up upsetting my future wife. 

Xena chuckled to herself as she thought about how crazy it was that her life had turned out the way it had.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself jokingly) Hades, if I hadn't lived it myself, I would think that this whole thing has all just been a work of fiction or something. Though even then it all still seems far too unbelievable.

Xena was pulled from her inner monologing when she and Gabrielle reached a large chamber within the cave. They stood looking at the oddly placed metal door that stood out in stark contrast amongst the natural earthy materials of the cave.

GABRIELLE 
This must be it.

XENA 
Looks that way.

Xena turned to face Gabrielle.

XENA 
Gabrielle listen, whatever is on the other side of this door, I just want you to know that I love you. And regardless of what's going on with you right now, what's happened in the past, or what will happen after today, my feelings for you will never change. And whatever challenges life puts in front of me, the only way I wanna face them is with you by my side.

Gabrielle smiled as she shook her head.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking tone) Come on Xena your supposed to save that sort of thing for our wedding vows.

Gabrielle then got serious.

GABRIELLE 
But thank you. It means a lot to hear you say that after everything that's been going on lately.

XENA 
So are you ready?

GABRIELLE 
Yeah. Let's do this and get back home.

With that, Xena pulled open the door and both she and Gabrielle walked inside. Then the final test finally began. But little did they know that this would become the ultimate for their relationship. As well as where everything that had been coming between them would soon all come to a head.

Pt.22

It was an oddly normal look cave that Xena and Gabrielle stood in after passing through the large door just behind them. The two looked around for any clues as to what they were supposed to do next but came up empty-handed.

GABRIELLE 
Okay, I don't get it. What are we supposed to do here?

XENA 
Not sure. Cora's instructions weren't very specific. Just something about needing to work together to do something here. 

Xena sighed as she didn't see any indicators that would point them in the direction of their assigned task.

XENA 
Why does this sort of thing always have to be so cryptic?

GABRIELLE 
Who knows. But let's keep looking. There has to be at least some kind of clue that'll tell us what we need to do.

?
But don't you see? Your task lays right in front of you.

Both Xena and Gabrielle were momentarily startled by the sudden unknown voice that echoed through the cave. On reflex, Xena drew her sword and scanned their surroundings for the other person that was apparently there in the cave with them.

?
Your weapons will do you no good here warrior. For this will not be a battle of the physical state. Not inherently at least.

Xena kept her blade ready as she continued to try and locate the origin of the voice.

XENA 
Who are you? Is this part of the test that we're supposed to be undergoing?

?
At ease Xena. I, along with the others here are merely spirits that inhabit this place. And we mean you and Gabrielle no harm.

Not sensing that they were lying, Xena lowered her sword.

XENA 
Since you know our names I assume that you'll be involved in whatever this final test entails.

SPIRIT 
Your assumption is correct. Are you ready to begin?

GABRIELLE 
But we don't know what we should be doing.

SPIRIT 
Do not worry. All will soon become clear. We wish you luck Amazons.

With that, the cave began to shake. Cracks begin to form on the ground beneath Xena and Gabrielle's feet. Chunks of Rock fell from the cave ceiling. One of which Gabrielle just managed to avoid getting hit by as she quickly hopped back and saw it land at her feet. Xena avoided being hit by several falling large pieces of the cave that broke off from overhead. The pair was pushed back towards the entrance to the corridor as the cracks on the ground become increasingly wide and deep. As they moved towards the door they saw them begin to shut on its own until it was completely closed.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Well, it's a good thing that we're already committed to doing this because there's really no turning back now.

The whole area began to grow warmer and warmer. Until it was downright hot. Then Xena and Gabrielle noticed a reddish, orange glow beginning to radiate from the widening gaps in the ground while steam plumed skyward from them as well. Xena was not liking where this was going as multiple-sized pieces of earth rose to various heights and stayed. Gabrielle shook her head in disbelief at the cave's transformation as she and Xena looked on. Finally when all was said and done the earth around them ceased in its shaking and shifting. The entire corridor was split into multiple pieces that now floated on a sea of molting lava beneath that spread all the way around the large area. Xena scowled as she looked at the new sight before them.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) You have got to be kidding me. What exactly do you expect us to do here?

?
Simple warrior. All you need to do is find a way for both of you to make it to the other side. And once you've done that you're trial will be complete.

Xena looked upwards as she again tried to find the source of the voice. Or at least sense where they were like she could with any of the gods were around. But she was unable to zero in on their location, which only Irritated her further.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Are you completely insane? One wrong step, one slip and we're done for. This isn't a test. It's suicide.

?
You're free to turn back if you wish. But your union will not come to be if you do.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Our "union" really won't happen when we're both dead.

?
I see. But perhaps you should be asking if you both feel this way.

Xena turned to Gabrielle.

XENA 
Gabrielle, please listen to me. This is not a good idea. We could be killed. I might be able to jump from spot to spot, And that's a big might. But I know you can't. And carrying you isn't a smart option either. I don't think we should do this.

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry/ Sarcasm) Oh big shock, once again you don't think I can do something.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) We're you not just listening to the part where I said I might not be able to do this either? This is madness Gabrielle and I won't put your life on the line just to have some ceremony that we can effectively have elsewhere and have it hold no less meaning behind it. And I won't let you risk your life either.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) You don't get to decide that Xena. It's my life and my choice to do what I want with it.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Not if you're gonna try doing something incredibly foolish. I won't let you.

Gabrielle moved close and stood toe to toe with Xena as she looked up slightly to stare directly into the taller woman's eyes.

GABRIELLE 
(Fierce tone) You can't stop me.

Xena scowled as she glared at Gabrielle. She was done with this attitude of Gabrielle's. And she was not going to allow her to do something that she was certain was going to get her killed. So despite never wanting to use her more intimidating side on someone she loved so much, Xena felt that at this point she wasn't left with much choice for Gabrielle's own good. So as she did with her enemies, or those who she was trying to scare off, Xena stood as tall as she could and allowed the icey, near-emotionless stare to form behind her eyes.

XENA
(Threatening tone) You wanna bet?

Gabrielle saw the change in Xena that she had seen only reserved for the worse of the worst that she had faced off against. And in all honesty, the first number of times that Gabrielle had seen that look it had scared her. But then she saw that afterwards Xena always reverted back to the kind, caring and warm expression that Gabrielle had come to see looking back at her so very often. However now she saw that same look Xena had given so many of her enemies before they fell by her hand directed straight at her. And while Gabrielle had grown used to seeing that look and was no longer phased when Xena would use it on her opponents. She couldn't help but feel more than slightly intimidated now it was directed at her. Though she did her best to hide that fact from Xena as she refused to back down and stood as tall as she could while sending her own intense stare right back at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
(Fierce tone) What are you gonna do, forcefully drag me out of here?

XENA
(Threatening tone) That's up to you. I'd rather not have to but if you leave me with no other option I will. And trust me when I tell you if I do, that you will not be very comfortable on the way back home.

Gabrielle wasn't sure if she really wanted to know what exactly Xena meant by that. But she knew Xena couldn't actually be serious about it either way. Could she? Either way, Gabrielle was not going to give in. Not this time.

GABRIELLE 
(Fierce tone) You wouldn't dare.

XENA
(Threatening tone) Try me.

The intense situation between Xena and Gabrielle was suddenly interrupted when they noticed two figures appear standing on one of the pieces of earth that was now surrounded by lava. Leaving them both in utter shock as the last few moments were quickly forgotten due to the unexpected development now before them.

XENA 
What the...

Again Gabrielle shook her head in disbelief at what she was seeing.

GABRIELLE 
Xena, it's... us.

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy