The light rain continued to fall as Xena looked at the child that was laying in front of her. As she carefully looked at the body, Xena talked to Ares.

XENA 
Do we have an ID?

ARES 
Not yet.

XENA 
Cause of death?

ARES 
Don't know. But clearly not natural causes.

XENA 
Obviously. Witness?

ARES 
Xena if I knew anything I would've told you already.

Xena sighed as she looked at Ares.

XENA 
Sorry. It's just I got into this line of work to try and stop this sort of thing. But..

ARES 
I know Xena. I don't like seeing this either. I thought things were so much simpler all those years ago. Wars, violence, all the other things that made the good old days what they were. 

XENA 
The way you describe it doesn't exactly give me that nostalgic feeling you're going for.

ARES
The point is that with people now a days it's not as cut and dry. There's probably a million reasons why someone would want to kill this kid. And the odds are pretty high that none of them are good.

XENA 
Yeah no shit. 

Xena stood up.

XENA 
Well we won't know anything until I figure out how this kid died. I'll head to the coroner's office and start there.

ARES 
But you know it's gonna take time to get everything we need.

Ares could see the stone cold look in Xena's eyes.

XENA 
Not if I'm there.

Xena began walking back to her car.

ARES 
Just try not to scare off this one.

XENA 
We'll see.

Ares sighed knowing full well that Xena was going to be in her "warrior princess" mode for this whole case. Though it ment that she was going to be extremely focused and stop at nothing to bring whoever was responsible to justice. It also ment that she was not going to be easy to deal with. Which was why when it came to cases like this Ares tended to let xena do her own thing. He learned a long time ago that doing things this way was better for everyone, especially when it came to his own safety. Besides he knew that Xena wasn't going to do anything that broke the law, technically. Ares turned and went to his car and headed back to his office. After leaving the crime scene Xena headed to the coroner's office. As she drove she called Gabrielle. As Gabrielle answered a hologram of her appeared in the passengers seat of Xena's car.

GABRIELLE 
Xena, what's going on?

XENA 
Looks like I won't be home for a while.

Gabrielle sat on the couch in their living room as she talked to Xena's hologram.

GABRIELLE 
Why?

XENA 
The victim. It's just a kid. Can't be more than 12.

Gabrielle shook her head in disgust.

GABRIELLE
God's what's wrong with people?

XENA 
Who knows. Anyway I'm heading to the coroner's then I'll be home.

GABRIELLE 
Okay. I'll be waiting.

XENA 
See you soon. 

GABRIELLE 
Bye.

Xena hug up and continued to drive. Soon after she arrived at the coroner's office, where she waited for the results of the autopsy. That is until she got inpatient and after shoving the coroner out of her way, took over in the investigation of the cause of death. Leaving the aggravated coroner with the unwanted duty of being demoted to temporary becoming Xena's assistant. Once xena took over it wasn't long before the cause of death was discovered. Though the results didn't sit right with her.

CORONER
I'm ruling this death by strangulation.

Xena looked at the body then back at the coroner.

XENA 
You can't be serious.

CORONER
(Annoyed Sarcasm) Ah yes the great Xena. She knows all and sees all. Tell me oh great one what is the actual cause of death.

XENA 
Not sure yet but it certainly wasn't that.

CORONER
(Annoyed tone) And why do you think that?

Xena replied to the coroner's attitude with one of her own.

XENA 
Well for starters there are no strangulation marks on the neck.

CORONER
So. Sometimes there aren't any.

XENA 
True but there's also no signs of damage that would indicate lack of oxygen as cause of death. Honestly how did even you graduate medical school if you can't figure that out.

The coroner glared at Xena as they pointed to the door.

CORONER
Get out.

Xena took one more look at the body, then cleaned up and left. The coroner angerly watched her walk out the door.

CORONER 
Bitch.

Xena smirked hearing the comment.

XENA 
(Talking to herself) Once this one's gone maybe we'll finally get one who knows what they're doing.

Once she was done there Xena went to Ares' private investigation headquarters. Once inside she barged into his office. Ares looked from the screen on his desk.

ARES 
(Sarcasm) You know there's this amazing thing called knocking.

Xena shut the door behind her and crossed her arms as she leaned against the door.

XENA 
Where in Tartarus did you find that new guy?

ARES 
I'm assuming you mean the coroner?

Ares sighed as he swiped his hand as he shut down what he was working on and the hologram in front of him disappeared. Then he learned back in his chair.

ARES 
I'm gonna have to find another one again aren't I?

XENA 
If you're smart.

ARES 
(Sarcasm) Oh goody. Any more people you would like me to replace while I'm at it.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Yeah the guy I work for is a real piece of work.

ARES 
(Sarcasm) Ooo sorry I'm afraid I can't do anything about that one.

XENA 
Worth a shot.

ARES 
So did you find out anything other than the apparent lack of competence of my employee.

XENA 
Unfortunately not much.

Xena walked over and put her hands on the desk as she lowered her voice.

XENA 
Something about this doesn't feel right Ares.

ARES 
Why?

XENA 
There were no signs of anything that might cause a perfect healthy kid to die.

Ares brought up the screen that he had been looking at.

ARES 
The report says...

Xena reached over and shut down the screen again.

XENA 
I know what the stupid report says and it's wrong. I tried to tell the idiot coroner that but, well you hired him.

Ares looked at Xena as he sighed.

ARES 
Okay fine. Congratulations this case is officially yours. And lucky for you there's no shortage of scumbags in this city who wouldn't think twice about killing an innocent kid. So I guess you have your work cut out for you Xena. Better get started.

XENA 
Fine. I'll start with the parents. At least I got an I.D. from that idiot.

ARES 
(Smirking) See they're not completely useless after all.

XENA 
Shove it Ares.

Xena stood up straight and went to the door to leave.

ARES 
Xena.

Xena stopped and looked back at him.

ARES  
You look like shit. Why don t you go home and get some sleep. I'll have someone else inform the kid's family. You can start your investigation tomorrow.

Xena would've argued but it had been a long day and she really only got a few hours of sleep.

XENA 
Fine. I told Gabrielle I'd be home soon anyway.

So Xena left and made the drive back home. Once she parked and went inside, Xena made her way to the bedroom. She saw Gabrielle still in bed and walked over. After getting comfortable Xena got in bed and pulled up the covers as she layed down. Gabrielle opened her eyes and smiled a little.

GABRIELLE 
Hey you're home.

XENA 
Sorry I didn't expect to take that long, but I couldn't just leave this one.

GABRIELLE 
I know. You wanna talk about it?

XENA 
No. Ares put me on the case so I just wanna get some sleep before I start tomorrow.

GABRIELLE 
Okay.

Xena and Gabrielle soon fell asleep. Morning came all too soon as Xena's alarm woke both her and Gabrielle. After they were both up and dressed, Xena grabbed a quick bite to eat as she got ready to head out.

GABRIELLE 
Xena do you know if anyone is covering your case yet?

XENA 
I don't think any of the major news outlets have picked it up yet. They think a child's murder is "too gruesome for their delicate viewers." And if they did I'm willing to bet the story got buried among all the useless crap that people would rather pay attention to and go on with their blissful ignorance.

GABRIELLE 
I don't get how people can just turn a blind eye to this kind of thing.

XENA 
This world's gotten colder Gabrielle. Mainly this city. If it doesn't directly affect their lives, people just don't care.

GABRIELLE 
Someday you'll change that Xena.

XENA 
I don't know about that, but I can try.

Gabrielle gave Xena a light kiss and smiled.

GABRIELLE 
No matter where we go and what ever we do you're always continuing that fight for the greater good.

XENA 
And I'll keep fighting for as long as I have to.

GABRIELLE 
I know you will. And I'll be fighting right along beside you every time.

XENA 
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Xena and Gabrielle headed out. They drove through the city until they reached the address of the child's parents. They got out of the car and went to the front door. After knocking a woman answered the door. Xena informed the woman of who she and Gabrielle were and asked to come inside. The woman had already been notified in the middle of the night that the deceased was her child. After letting them in the woman, Xena and Gabrielle sat in her kitchen. Xena asked all the usual questions. About family, friends, last known where abouts, any ideas of why someone would have done this. Possible suspicious activity that the woman might've noticed involving the child. Any clues of who could have committed such an awful crime. The grieving woman cried as she answered Xena's questions. Though for the most part her answers weren't very helpful in giving Xena and Gabrielle much useful information. So after Xena got what she could, she and Gabrielle left. But not before assuming the woman that they would find who killed her child and bring them to justice. After getting back in the car Xena knew where their next stop should be.

GABRIELLE 
So what now?

XENA 
I think I know someone who might be able to point us in the right direction. And I'm pretty sure you being there will make this a lot easier.

GABRIELLE 
Who?

XENA 
YOUR best friend.

Gabrielle laughed a little.

GABRIELLE 
Come on Xena she's your friend too.

XENA 
Yeah but she's always a pain to deal with when it comes to getting information.

GABRIELLE 
And yet you keep her as your informant.

XENA 
Hey being a gossip has it's uses. I'm just surprised that she actually lives here.

GABRIELLE 
That's true. Though I've seen her apartment. And let's just say calling it an "apartment" is not an accurate description. Though if you ask her she'd make it sound like she's living in a cardboard box.

Xena rolled her eyes.

XENA 
I'm sure.

After a bit Xena and Gabrielle pulled up to their destination, got out of the car and went inside. Hearing the door open a voice piped up and cheerfully greeted them.

?
Welcome to "Hearts Desire". Where you can find whatever your heart desires.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Real creative name and tag line. Ow. 

Gabrielle nudged Xena and got a disapproving look in return.

?
Oh it's you. 
(Joking) I thought I heard a storm coming.

Xena and Gabrielle turned around and Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
Aphrodite, it's good to see you.

The goddess smiled when she saw her best friend.

APHRODITE 
Gabby!

She gave Gabrielle a big hug. Afterwards she looked at Xena and hugged her too.

APHRODITE 
Sooo what can I do for my favorite two mortals.

XENA 
Sorry Aphrodite but this isn't just a friendly visit.

Aphrodite saw the looks on her friends faces.

APHRODITE 
Oh poo. Okay why don't you two take a seat, I'll get you some drinks and I'll see if I can help.

Xena and Gabrielle sat at the bar as Aphrodite got their drinks. Once she came back Xena showed her a picture of the deceased and told her what little she knew. Aphrodite was obviously saddened by the young life that was tragically cut short.

XENA 
So anything you can tell us. I know that the biggest gossip in town might be able to point us in the right direction.

Aphrodite sighed.

APHRODITE 
I was really hoping that it was just some ridiculous drunken rumors. If I thought for a second that there was any truth to what people were saying I would've called you right away Xena.

XENA 
It's okay Aphrodite I know.

GABRIELLE 
Just tell us what you've heard.

APHRODITE
Okay. But this isn't good at all.

×××

Xena and Gabrielle sat in Aphrodite's bar as Aphrodite pulled up a barstool and sat down. Xena and Gabrielle sipped their drinks at the bar.

XENA 
Okay so what can you tell us?

APHRODITE 
Well according to what I've heard it seems like lately people have been disappearing from around the city.

GABRIELLE 
Oh yeah I heard about that. I tried to investigate but I couldn't find anything.

APHRODITE 
Some people are saying that it's tied to some like super shady organization.

XENA 
Okay but what does that have to do with my victim.

Aphrodite shrugged.

APHRODITE 
Maybe they killed the poor thing when they tried to fight back.

GABRIELLE 
Or they saw something they shouldn't have.

Xena thought for a moment.

XENA 
Or whoever's behind this got what they wanted and then killed them.

GABRIELLE 
You think that the child was the target?

XENA 
Can't be sure yet. I'm just trying to cover all the most possible scenarios.

GABRIELLE 
If this is connected to the disappearances that still doesn't explain why this body was actually found.

XENA 
Maybe whoever did this was in a hurry for whatever reason.

APHRODITE 
So what now?

Xena sighed as she took a drink.

XENA 
At this point all this is just speculation. We won't know anything until we do some more digging.

Xena's phone began beeping. She pulled it out of her jacket pocket and turned it on, seeing a small hologram of Ares pop up over the screen.

XENA 
What's up?

ARES 
Nothing good. I looks like we have another victim on our hands. 

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Great.

ARES 
It's a real mess down here.

Ares sighed.

ARES 
Whoever is behind this is a real sicko.

XENA 
Shit. I'll be right there.

Xena hung up as she and Gabrielle got up.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks for the info Aphrodite.

APHRODITE 
Always happy to help. I hope you find whatever's doing this Xena.

XENA 
Oh I will, trust me.

Xena stormed out and headed ro the car. Gabrielle quickly said goodbye to Aphrodite and followed. They drove to the scene which was an apartment building. Xena and Gabrielle went up to the apartment that Ares told them he was at. Ares was waiting outside the door and saw that two walking down the hall towards him.

ARES 
(Sarcasm) I see we're being joined by the great journalist today.

GABRIELLE 
Nice to see you too Ares. And at least I actually report on the important stuff and not all that garbage you see everywhere that doesn't actually do anything.

ARES 
Fair point. I'm assuming that you already know everything we do then.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah we actually just came from Aphrodite's.

ARES 
Oh and did that sister of mine have anything useful for us?

XENA 
Ideas but nothing concrete yet. Anyway what are we dealing with here?

ARES 
The back room. I'll let you see for yourself.

Xena and Gabrielle made their way towards the last room at the end of a small hallway in the apartment. The couple other officers saw Xena and left the room to let her work. Everyone that worked with Xena knew that she was one of, if not the best detective on the force. She was highly respected amung her peers. Though along with her reputation for her skills as a detective, Xena did have a tendency to sometimes rub people the wrong way. Some thought that she was too pushy and a know it all. Not to mention the fact that she didn't take crap from anyone. Some people interpreted that as her being bitchy. Which at times was kind of true, but Xena had and always would be a woman that knew how to take charge and get results. Which was why she thrived as being a detective. Even if some people saw the way she talked to Ares and wondered why he would allow his subordinate to speak to him that way and not be reprimanded for insubordination. Obviously they didn't know that Ares was actually the ancient Greek God of War. Or that Xena was warrior from that time who along with Gabrielle has been in an endless cycle of reincarnation for thousands of years and now found themselves in a dystopian city. The same was true for Aphrodite. No one knew that there were living rements of a long past ancient civilization living in their city. Whether they were reincarnated ancient hero's or gods that had long stopped being thought of as being anything more than some very, very old stories. That honestly most people didn't even know about any more. Why they were all in that city together? That answer was simple. Obviously the fact that Xena and Gabrielle were soulmates meant that they were bound together by fate itself no matter what. As for Aphrodite, she couldn't bare the thought of not seeing her best friends. So she always had a way of finding the two no matter where they were and setting up shop doing whatever she thought sounded fun nearby. And Ares? He said it was always coincidence that he always seemed to show up in some way. Though it wasn't normality in Xena and Gabrielle's daily lives. But Xena and Gabrielle knew better. Deep down they knew that Ares would always have a thing for Xena. Which was the actual reason he always showed up. Though through out the years he had finally learned that he didn't stand a chance because Xena's heart would always only belong to Gabrielle. So Ares decided long ago that he would just be one of Xena and Gabrielle's most trusted allies and friends. Even if the god of war would never admit it. And that was why the four of them were in this city. A city that with every day that passed Xena found herself wanting to leave more and more. She sighed as she made her way to the last room. Gabrielle stayed right behind her. She had become one of the most sought after reporters. She always had a way of reaching her audience with her captivating stories. She did her best to get the truth out to the people. Even if it seemed like no one cared or that alot of the times her reports were buried. That didn't stop her. While Xena was still out in the world fighting in the literal sense, most of Gabrielle's battles have become a metaphorical war with finding a way to bring the truth to the public. The two were still a team to be reckoned with. And that was something that the world learned time and time again. 

XENA 
You ready?

Xena looked at Gabrielle as they stood outside the last door in the hallway. Gabrielle nodded. The door was already open but they couldn't see anything from the doorway. So they stepped inside.

GABRIELLE 
God's what happened here?

Xena and Gabrielle looked around the room. It was a brutal and sickening scene. Ares walked up behind them.

ARES 
I told you we're dealing with someone who's truly sadistic.

Xena shook her head and gave a disheartened sigh as she began looking around. Gabrielle followed. Ares stayed in the doorway, giving them space to work. There was blood splattered all over. A pool of blood in the center of the room. And then of course there was the source of the blood. And that was the most disturbing part. Because there in front of Xena and Gabrielle was the body of a young woman that had been strung up by being tied to the light fixture on the ceiling by her wrists. Her throat had been slit. Her mouth was stuffed with some sort of cloth. Clearly so she couldn't scream for help. 

GABRIELLE 
The fact that there s people out there who can do this sort of thing is something I'll never get used to.

XENA 
You don't have to stay. I can tell you what I find.

GABRIELLE 
No I'm okay. I wanna catch who's behind this just as much as you do.

XENA 
Okay.

Gabrielle watched quietly as Xena examined the body. Taking notes of her findings. After Xena finished, she searched the room for any clues that could help her figure things out. Before long Xena had combed over the whole apartment. Then the two walked out into the hallway along with Ares.

ARES 
So what do you think?

XENA 
The killings are definitely connected.

ARES 
What makes you say that?

XENA 
A hunch.

ARES 
You know if anyone else said that I'd think that they were crazy. But it's you. So let's hear it.

Ares put his hands in his pockets and leaned his shoulder against the wall as he listened to Xena.

XENA 
The child wasn't an actual target. It was a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Which is why they were simply just killed. But this, this was planned. And I have a good feeling that it's tied to the disappearances that have been happening all over the city.

ARES 
Why?

XENA 
Think about it. In every instance of someone going missing there's always small traces of the person's blood found in some closed off area. I honestly can't figure out why that hasn't set off more alarms with the people covering the disappearances.

GABRIELLE 
Okay then why did we find this body?

XENA 
The neighbors.

GABRIELLE 
What?

Xena walked over to a wall and knocked on it. Gabrielle heard the sound it made. Then went and put her ear against the wall. She could easily hear the people who lived in the apartment next door.

GABRIELLE 
Oh these walls are paper thin.

Gabrielle looked back at Xena.

XENA 
Exactly. So even with our victim being gagged. The people next door must've heard the commotion and called it in.

GABRIELLE 
Meaning that whoever killed her heard the sirens and didn't have time to clean up and despose of the body before leaving.

Xena crossed her arms and gave a quick smirk.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Crappy living conditions, our taxes at work and the apparent bane of the serial killer's existence.

 

Continued in Part 3

Email- tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

Back to the Academy