It was nearly 5 in the morning when Xena and Gabrielle finally decided to call it a night after spending hours going over the various files from missing persons cases that coincided with Xena's murder investigation. Tired, they packed up the files and went to bed for some much needed sleep. Knowing that the they had alot to do when they got up. Gabrielle sat in the passengers seat scrolling through the news of the morning on the image that came up from her phone as Xena drove through the downtown area of the city.

GABRIELLE 
Unbelievable.

XENA 
What?

Gabrielle read the tag line of the news article that had caught her eye out loud.

GABRIELLE 
"As more people seem to up and vanish from the city, one can't help but wonder what will happen to the housing market"

XENA 
What?!

GABRIELLE 
My thoughts exactly. People are going missing and turning up dead. And the damn news outlets wanna focus on the state of this city's crappy housing market and the wealthy people who are losing a very small profit of their already ridiculously enormous business empires.

Xena shook her head.

XENA 
I don't know why you read that stuff. You know most of it's complete garbage anyway.

Gabrielle shut off her phone and leaned her head back on the seat.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know Xena. Maybe I just don't wanna believe that things have gotten so bad. Plus it's my job. I have to know what's being put out there so I can find the best way to break through it all with what actually matters. 

Xena smiled at her for a moment.

XENA 
And you do an amazing job at that. I know you don't always realize it, but what you do has a real impact on the people of this city. Sure I might take scumbags off the streets. But you warn the people about those guys until I can get my hands on them and that's just as important when it comes to keeping the city safe. Even if the vast majority of the rest of the media outlets can't seem to see that.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
You sure know how to lift a girl's spirits.

XENA 
(Joking) Eh I have my moments.

Xena and Gabrielle drove a bit longer until they got to the missing persons house. Their spouse was the one who had reported them missing. So that was the first stop on Xena's list for the days investigation. After getting out of the car the two went and knocked on the door. A man answered and Xena introduced herself and Gabrielle, explaining why they were there. The man invited Xena and Gabrielle inside. After speaking with him for a bit they learned the new missing person worked only two blocks from the factory district. And when they didn't come home after work like always, giving the disappearances the man became worried. And that was three days ago. He had tried to report it sooner but the original officer's he had spoken to didn't take the disappearance seriously. After assuring the man that she'd do everything she could to find them and getting what information they could, Xena and Gabrielle left. The next stop for the two was the last place that their new victim was seen. According to the report they were last seen leaving work by a few fellow employees. So Xena and Gabrielle went to question their co-workers. This however wasn't much help. According to everyone they talked to there wasn't anything that seemed odd or different about them that set off any alarms. All in all with everything Xena and Gabrielle leaned, their latest victim was simply your average, everyday employee, spouse and citizen. The same had been true for everyone else who had gone missing or been killed. There was nothing particularly special about any of them. Each victim varied from race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, social status, etcetera. Seemingly the only solid connection between them that Xena and Gabrielle could find was the fact that they all lived and worked at or near the city's factory district. It wasn't much but all the clues they had, all seemed to point to that area. So with that in mind the only logical place for Xena and Gabrielle to investigate next was the factory district.

GABRIELLE 
(Sighs) You know that area of the city is huge. It'll take us weeks at least to search everywhere. Not to mention half of those buildings are condemned and falling apart.

XENA 
I'm aware. But it's not like we have much choice.

GABRIELLE
Can't you call in back up to help us search?

XENA 
You should know no one outside my unit is gonna wanna help me.

GABRIELLE
Then have Ares send some of his people.

XENA 
Can't, everyone's working their own cases. And don't even ask if Ares will do it himself. I swear that God's gotten lazy over the centuries.  

GABRIELLE 
So it's just you and me then. I guess some things never change.

Gabrielle smiled at Xena, and Xena smirked back.

XENA 
Tell me about it.

It wasn't long before the pair made it to the factory district. Xena drove past the newer buildings and everything that was still up and running. Finally they pulled up to a very large fenced off area. Xena parked the car as she and Gabrielle got out. Gabrielle looked through the chain linked fence at the large run down building's that sat forgotten behind the barrier.

GABRIELLE 
I already don't like the looks of this place.

XENA 
Yeah. I don't know why they don't just tear down all this mess. 
(Sinical tone) Oh wait no one cares.
Come on we have a lot of ground to cover, we better get started.

Xena started walking and pulled open part of the gate.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Goody.

Gabrielle walked over and went through the part of the gate that Xena was holding open. Xena followed and let go, allowing the gate shut behind them.

GABRIELLE 
Where do we start?

She looked at the building's in front of them.

XENA 
I guess we check the closest building that has a way in and work our way in from there.

GABRIELLE 
You know most reporters don't do this much leg work for a story.

XENA 
Oh please we both know you would go crazy from boredom if you just sat behind a desk or did those crappy field pieces where you just stand around and talk to people. As much as you might enjoy talking.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Funny.

Xena started walking towards the nearest building.

XENA 
Well come on "Gab"-rielle, we have work to do.

Gabrielle rolled her eyes at the bad joke about her name that she had heard for as long as she could remember, due to the fact that she had always been chatty. Briefly, but not seriously contemplating alternatives to legally change her name to. Never the less the search of the factory district began. Gabrielle followed Xena to the first building. They looked around for anything useful but came up with only cobwebs, dust and run down, busted machinery. When nothing out of the ordinary turned up in their search, Xena and Gabrielle moved on to the next building. This pattern continued as the two worked their way through the area.

XENA 
Okay here's the next one.

Xena pulled on the door, but it was locked. This wasn't too strange however. A few of the other buildings they had already checked were also locked up. Most likely to prevent trespassers from going in and getting hurt. Xena and Gabrielle looked for another way in as they had done with the other locked up buildings.

XENA 
Damn all the windows are boarded up tight.

Gabrielle leaned up against the building.

GABRIELLE 
So do we move on or force our way in?

Xena shrugged.

XENA 
We can check out the rest of the area and come back to find a way inside.

GABRIELLE 
Works for me.

Gabrielle pushed off the wall to stand up straight. As she did she heard a small click. She turned around to look at the wall.

GABRIELLE 
Did you hear that?

XENA 
Yea.

Xena walked up to wall where Gabrielle was leaning and pushed on it. They heard the clicking sound again. Xena examined the walls surface for any openings. After a couple moments she found a suspicious looking part of the wall that unless you were standing right up close and staring at it, would otherwise go unnoticed. She picked up some scrap metal from the various pieces of junk that were scattered all over the ground and wedged it in very the small opening of the wall. Xena pulled hard as she pried open an apparent hidden door. It was farely heavy so once she got it open a bit, Gabrielle got her hands in the opening and helped her pull. Finally with some effort the two got the door open enough for them to get in. As they entered Xena made sure to stick the piece of metal they used between the door so they didn't run the risk of being locked in. Dispite it being broad daylight outside, with everything being boarded up the inside of the building pretty dark.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) It's too dark in here I can't really see anything.

Xena pulled out her phone and used it as a flashlight. Gabrielle followed suit and turned hers on as well. It was still fairly dark but they could at least now see where they were going.

XENA 
(Whisper) Let's see if there's any lights that still work in this place. Stay close we don't need to get separated when we can't see.

Xena and Gabrielle quietly looked for a light. Unsure if anyone else was there, they kept their voices down in case of any danger. Which was the obvious main reason for sticking together. While they were both perfectly capable of handling themselves, not being able to see well would drastically hinder their ability to fight someone off if they we suddenly attacked without warning. So staying close to not get separated was the simply smartest option. Xena was the first to find the wall, she used the light from her phone to search for the power source for the lights. After walking along the wall for a bit she found a panel embedded in the wall. After reading the old sign next to it, she realized it was the power source for the building. As Xena began tapping the screen the panel lit up.

XENA 
Well at least this works.

While Xena fiddled with the panel to try to turn on the lights, Gabrielle used her phone to look around a little. She walked around a little, not going too far. As the light from her phone illuminated the spots she aimed at she saw something that looked like some kind of liquid dripping from a table. She cautiously walked closer and saw a tarp covering something. Gabrielle carefully pulled back the tarp just as Xena got the lights to come on.

GABRIELLE 
Oh god's.

Xena turned around to see Gabrielle quickly turning away from the table.

XENA 
What's wrong?

Xena quickly rushed over, though she didn't need Gabrielle to say anything. Because as she got closer Xena saw that Gabrielle had found one of the people that had gone missing. And not only were they dead, but they had been silt clean open from hip to sternum. Their entrails appeared to have been partially pulled out or removed. Leaving the rest to just spill out wherever they may. But that wasn't all as Xena looked around the newly lit up room she saw a horrific sight. Blood both new and old splattered everywhere, bloody utensils and corpses in various states of decay. Some were chained or tied up. While others were laying on tables or simply just thrown into a pile as if they were nothing more than someone's dirty laundry or discarded trash. And from what Xena could tell none of them appeared to be unmarked by various cuts and incisions on their torsos. It was truly a horrific, disturbing and sickening scene. Even the most harded person would have a very difficult time stomaching this level of depravity. If there was any lingering question of whether Xena and Gabrielle were dealing with someone who was truly sick and evil. The scene that they had just discovered more than killed any and all doubts. Leaving the both of them with a number of pressing questions. Though likely the most important ones being, who could be capable of committing such disturbing acts. And why. Xena scowled, clenching her fist in anger as she looked at the carnage around them.

XENA 
I don't know who the sick, fucking bastard is thats doing all this, but I swear I will find them. And when I do, they're gonna pay. 

×××

XENA
Fuck!

Xena walked around a little as she took in the scope of the carnage that she and Gabrielle had stumbled upon.

XENA
How on earth did something like this go unnoticed?

GABRIELLE
It's not like people really come around here.

XENA
True. This area of the city's been closed off for a while. The only people who would come here would be dumb ass teens looking for trouble. Or drug addicts wanting some place to get high. And since this particular building was closed off, no one normally would've found it.

Xena sighed.

XENA
Still.

Gabrielle held Xena's arm.

GABRIELLE
We'll stop them Xena. We'll make sure all the people they've killed and their families get justice.

XENA
I better call this in and get C.S.U. down here.

Xena was about to make the call to the Crime Scene Unit when they heard the sound of a screeching car outside.

XENA
Shit!

Xena ran out of the warehouse just in time to see an unidentified car speeding away from the scene.

XENA
Damn it!

Xena ran towards her car.

GABRIELLE
Xena.

Xena stopped when Gabrielle came to the doorway.

XENA
We gotta go. A car just sped out of here.

GABRIELLE
You're gonna wanna come back inside first. I think heard something.

Xena looked back at where she had seen the car speed off. Then back at Gabrielle. Who had a worried expression on her face. As much as she wanted to chase down whoever was in that car, Xena knew that Gabrielle must've found something important. So decided not to follow the mystery vehicle.

XENA
Show me where you heard it.

Gabrielle lead Xena back inside and the area that she had heard the sound. Xena listened.

GABRIELLE
It's feint but doesn't it sound like someone crying?

XENA
It does.

Xena and Gabrielle began searching for the source of the crying. As they looked Gabrielle went to open a door to check a room. When she tried she realized that the door was locked. She gave it a good shove with her shoulder, but it didn't budge. With her ear closer to the door, Gabrielle could hear the crying coming from the other side.

GABRIELLE
Xena over here.

Xena, who was on the phone calling in scene as she searched, looked at Gabrielle. She quickly wrapped up the call and came over. She tried opening the door normally with no luck. Then she too tried using her shoulder to push. But again couldn't get it. Then like Gabrielle had she heard the crying behind the door.

XENA
Alrigh enough of this crap.

Xena stepped back a little as Gabrielle moved out of the way. Xena let out her battle cry as she unleashed one mean kick. The door came right off its hinges and fell flat on the floor inside the room.

GABRIELLE
Good old warrior princess mode never fails.

Gabrielle and Xena went inside and looked around. It wasn't a very big room, but there was a lot of junk all over. They could now here the crying clearly. As they searched Xena moved an empty box out of her way and found the source of the crying. She slowly put the box aside as she crouched down and spoke softly.

XENA
Hey there.

Gabrielle turned towards her when she heard Xena talk. She looked over Xena's shoulder and felt her heart sink when she saw a terrified little boy curled up in the corner.

XENA
It's alright I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm a cop, I'm here to get you somewhere safe.

The boy looked at Xena, unsure of what to do. Gabrielle slowly crouched down next to Xena.

GABRIELLE
I'm Gabrielle and this is Xena. Can you tell us your name?

The boy looked down then back at the two as he spoke bare barely above a Whisper.

BOY
Luka.

Gabrielle softly smiled.

GABRIELLE
It's nice to meet you Luka.

XENA
You know I bet you're hungry.

Luka nodded slightly.

XENA
Okay how about we get out of here and you can eat anything you want.

The boy quickly sprung up into Xena's arms.

XENA
Okay, I got ya.

Xena stood up as held Luka. Making sure he closed his eyes as they left the room to not expose him to something that no one, much less a child should see. Once they were safely out outside Xena put the boy in the back seat of her car and buckled him in. That was when the crime scene unit showed up. Xena and Gabrielle started giving them the run down of what they found inside. As they spoke without warning the building exploded in front of them. The blast killed two officers that were too close and knocked a number of other people back. Including Xena and Gabrielle. The two layed on the ground stunned as for a moment as they looked at fire and debris that fell from the sky. Knowing that they had just missed being caught in the explosion by only a few minutes. As they stood back up, Xena looked at the blaze.

XENA
Bastard. They just destroyed all the evidence. Whoever that was that drove off earlier knew we were here. They blew up the place so we couldn't trace it back to them.

Gabrielle looked at the destroyed warehouse then at Luka in the car.

GABRIELLE
We can't do anything else here. We should bring the boy back to the station and figure out what to do from there.

Xena agreed. The drive was silent as Xena took the three of them back to her office. Both she and Gabrielle periodically looked in the rear view mirror at the quiet, sad and scared little boy that sat in the back seat. Not really wanting to think about what he must've seen and been through. Gabrielle watched as Xena's grip on the steering wheel tightened. Knowing exactly how she was feeling, Gabrielle gently put her hand on Xena's arm. Xena didn't say anything as the two exchanged a look that was a mix of sadness, anger and determination. They would stop the psychopath doing all this. No matter what.

GABRIELLE
That's good huh?

Gabrielle smiled as she looked at the peanut butter and jelly covered face off Luka as he happily ate his sandwich as the two sat at Xena's desk in the precinct. Meanwhile Xena was in Ares' office going over what they had found at the warehouse.

ARES
And everything's gone?

XENA
Nothing but ash and rubble.

Ares sighed as he rubbed his forehead in frustration.

ARES
And what about the kid?

XENA
Physically he's fine. But...

ARES
Yeah based on how you described that place who knows what he's seen.

Xena looked out the open door at the boy with Gabrielle.

XENA
I'm gonna start looking for his parents. See if anyones reported him missing.

ARES
You know that there are departments that handle this sort of thing.

Xena looked back at Ares.

XENA
You don't seriously expect me to just let this go do you?

Ares let out another sigh.

ARES
If I say yes are you gonna listen?

XENA
(Sarcasm) When have I ever listened to a thing you said?

ARES
Yeah that's what I thought. Whatever, you wanna give yourself more work, have fun.

XENA
I'll see what I can find. What do we do with him in the meantime?

ARES
I can call and have someone pick the kid up and take him to a shelter.

XENA
What?! No. Ares you know those places are a horror show.

ARES
So what now you wanna over haul the city's foster care system too?

XENA
(Half serious) It's on the list.

ARES
Xena you can't fix every injustice you see. I know you're capable of doing alot, but there are just some problems that even you can't solve.

Xena grumbled slightly, knowing that unfortunately Ares was right.

XENA
Fine but I'm not sending him to one of those homes.

ARES
Then what do you suggest we do with him?

Xena looked back out at Gabrielle who was keeping the boy occupied. She could see the happiness on Gabrielle's face as she sat with him. Then Xena got an idea as she turned back towards Ares.

XENA
Let me take him.

ARES
He's not a stray puupy Xena. You can't just take him home just because he makes Gabrielle happy.

XENA
Come on Ares I'm not stupid. I'm not saying we keep him.

Xena sighed.

XENA
Look Luka needs a safe and loving place to stay until we find his parents. You know better than anyone that we would never let anything happen to him while he's with us.

ARES
Sure I know that, but we both know it doesn't work like that.

Xena walked up and leaned on Ares' desk as she lowered her voice.

XENA
For most people. But you know full well that we're not like most people. Come on there must be something you can do.

Ares leaned his head back in his chair as he made an annoyed groan.

ARES
Do you have any idea how the amount of phone calls and ass kissing I'm gonna have to do in order for this to happen?

XENA
(Joking) Just make sure your lips aren't chapped.

ARES
(Sarcasm) I think the words you were looking for are "Thank you Ares. You're the best Ares. What would I ever do without you".

XENA
(Sarcasm) Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Xena got up and went to the door. Before she left, Xena stopped and tuned her head back towards Ares. Giving him a sincere look.

XENA
Thank you.

Ares just shook his head and waved her off as Xena walked away.

ARES
Wonder if I can just use my powers to do this.?
(Joking) Or at least disappear to somewhere Xena will never find me. Yeah right, knowing her she'd track me down even if I went to a different planet.
(Sighs) The things I do for that woman.

Xena sat her desk looking at reports of missing persons, checking to see if Luka came up on the list. When nothing came up, she searched for his mother's address. After she and Gabrielle had talked to him, he said that he lived with just his mother and his father was apparently never in the picture. After a little digging Xena discovered that the boys father was currently serving a life sentence in n prison for a series of armed robberies and rapes. So with Luka's mother being the only other known family he had, their focus landed on finding her. A few weeks went by and unfortunately nothing on the little boy's mother turned up. During that time while Xena and Gabrielle continued their investigation, Ares had pulled some strings and made it so the two got temporary custody of Luka until they found the child's mother. Which wasn't as much hassle as he thought it would be, due to the fact that Xena was an outstanding person of the law, with a spotless record dispite her attitude at times. And Gabrielle had never even gotten as much as a parking ticket. So when it came to deciding if the two could provide a suitable home for a child it was an easy choice. Obviously Ares already knew that which was why he had decided to help speed the process along. So the investigation continued. Though now with Luka around, Xena did the field work on her own. While Gabrielle worked from home and watched Luka. Though when Xena was working the precinct, Gabrielle would join her there and bring the boy along. So she could help do what she could. One day Xena sat staring at the screen in front of her reading over something she had found.

XENA
Ah ha!

Gabrielle who was sitting in a chair next to Xena's desk reading something random on her phone looked at Xena, who after sitting quiet and focused for quite some time had finally spoke.

GABRIELLE
Did you find something?

Xena looked at Luka who had climbed his way on Gabrielle's lap and was quietly playing with a little toy that they had gotten him. She kept her voice down to not get his hopes up just incase she was wrong.

XENA
I think we might be having ourselves a pretty happy reunion very soon.

Wanting to be completely sure she had the right address, Xena decided not to bring Gabrielle and Luka along when she went to go check it out. So Gabrielle stayed with the boy at Xena's office, while Xena drove to his mother's apartment. She pulled up to the address and went inside. Xena walked until she found the right apartment number and knocked on the door. As she did, the door opened slightly on its own.

XENA
Hello? I'm a detective.

Xena peeked inside. The lights and TV were on.

XENA
My name's Xena. I'm here because I believe we found...

Xena noticed the state of the apartment. Seeing that it looked like there had been signs of a struggle.

XENA
...your son.

Xena looked down when she stepped in something wet and almost slipped. That was when she saw some blood on the floor.

XENA
Damn it I'm too late.

×××

There was broken glass and blood on the floor, things thrown all over the place and a sinking feeling in Xena's stomach as she stood in the destroyed apartment. This was the last known address for Luka's mother and the scene did not give Xena much confidence that she was going to find anything good there. She stayed on high alert as she began to cautiously search the apartment, calling in the scene as she walked through the living room. She stopped when she stepped on something and looked down. Moving her foot back she squatted down and picked up a damaged and glitchy digital picture frame. The image on the screen flickered but Xena could still see the photo clearly when it was up. She sighed when she saw it was was picture of a smiling woman holding a happy little boy in her arms. And that boy was Luka. Xena shook her head sadly as she stood up and put the photo on a table as she continued her search. She was half hoping that she had gotten the wrong address at first, but now there was no denying that this was Luka and his mother's apartment. With no one in the living room, Xena moved through the rest of the place but didn't find anyone. Not long after the crime scene unit arrived and Xena left to let them work. She had already gone over everything there and didn't find anything that would help her find Luka's mother. She went back to her precinct and told Ares and Gabrielle what she found.

ARES 
I'll see if I can put a rush on the DNA from the blood found on the scene. Make sure we know exactly who we're looking for here.

GABRIELLE 
If the blood is his mother's, what does that mean for Luka?

ARES 
He'll remain with you two until we find her. And if we do and she is dead, then we'll go from there.

XENA 
I wouldn't be surprised if she was in that warehouse where we found Luka.

GABRIELLE 
Damn your probably right. If that's the case then who knows how long it'll take to find out for sure.

XENA 
Yeah that place was already a mess of a crime scene and with the explosion. I don't even wanna think about what it's gonna take to get everything sorted out there.

Gabrielle sighed.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) This just keeps getting better and better.
So what's the plan now?

Ares checked the time.

ARES 
It's getting late and it's been a long day. We're not gonna find anything else today, so why don't you two take Luka and go home. I already got things set up, so you're good to go.

XENA 
That was fast.

ARES 
Well I am a god.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks Ares.

ARES 
It's no big deal. Besides I did this for me. Because not getting the kid ment that you weren't happy. And if you're not happy, Xena's not happy. And if Xena's not happy, well that's not really good for anyone. Especially me. And I don't need that kind of headache.

XENA 
(Joking) So it's all about you then.

ARES 
(Joking) It always is.
Now I would like to get out of here some time tonight, so as that old saying goes "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here."

XENA 
Don't gotta tell me twice.

Xena and Gabrielle left Ares' office, got Luka and went home.

GABRIELLE 
There we go, all tucked in

Gabrielle lightly patted the blanket as she finished tucking in Luka on the couch.

GABRIELLE 
Are you sure you're gonna be okay sleeping here?

LUKA 
I'm okay.

Xena leaned on the arm of the couch.

XENA 
You need anything we're right in that room there.

Xena pointed to their bedroom which was in the hallway off the living room. The boy nodded as he yawned.

XENA 
Looks like someone's sleepy. Get some sleep okay.

Xena patted his head as she and Gabrielle walked to their room. Leaving their door partially open so they could hear Luka if he needed anything. Gabrielle stared at the ceiling as she layed in bed. 

GABRIELLE 
You have to catch the maniac doing this Xena. That warehouse today, and Luka...

XENA 
I know.

Xena turned to her side, facing Gabrielle.

XENA 
We'll figure this out. I won't stop until that sick bastard gets what's coming to them.

GABRIELLE 
I just hope it's soon.

Gabrielle snuggled up to Xena as Xena's arm wrapped around her and the two slowly drifted off to sleep. Morning came as Xena walked by Luka sitting on the couch eating his breakfast as he watched cartoons. Gabrielle was sitting at the kitchen table looking through her notes on the case when Xena walked in.

XENA 
You know it won't change no matter how hard you stare at it.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Funny.

Gabrielle shut down the hologram as she leaned her head in her hand looking at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
You hear back about the D.N.A. yet?

XENA 
Haven't checked.

Xena pulled out her phone and checked her messages.

XENA 
Nothing yet.

GABRIELLE 
what's taking so long?

XENA 
There was a lot to go through in that warehouse. It's gonna take time Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
(Sighs) I know. Still.

XENA 
Yeah neither one of us have ever been very good at just waiting around have we?

Gabrielle chuckled a little.

GABRIELLE 
You can say that again.

Xena grabbed an apple from the bowl of fruit on the counter and took a bite.

XENA 
Guess I'll just go around questioning the last few people on the list today. See what I can come up with.

GABRIELLE 
You need back up?

XENA 
Nah I should have this done quick. You can stay here with Luka.

GABRIELLE 
Works for me. That'll let me organize my notes better. And let me catch up on a few little writing assignments for work.

XENA 
Sounds good.

Xena gave Gabrielle a quick kiss and grabbed her things.

XENA 
I'll see you later.

GABRIELLE 
Stay out of trouble.

XENA 
(Joking) Now where's the fun in that?

Gabrielle smirked, shaking her head as Xena walked out of the kitchen. 

XENA 
See ya later little man. Be good.

LUKA 
K.

Xena patted Luka's head as she walked by.

LUKA 
Are you gonna find mommy today?

Xena stopped and walked over to the boy, squatting down in front of him.

XENA 
I hope so. I'm gonna do everything I can to find her real soon.

LUKA 
Okay.

Xena looked up at Gabrielle who was standing in the doorway. Both of them hoping that they hadn't actually already found her. Xena stood back up.

XENA 
I'll be back soon.

GABRIELLE 
Stay safe. Love you.

Xena left and drove around questioning the rest of the people on her list. Not really getting any more answers.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) All this running around and all I've got to show for it is a whole lotta nothing.

Xena sighed as she sat in her car checking off another name.

XENA 
Now what?

Xena's phone beeped and she answered.

GABRIELLE 
Hey how's it going?

XENA 
Hey.

Gabrielle saw the look on Xena's face.

GABRIELLE
I'm guessing from your expression that you didn't find anything.

XENA 
Unfortunately.

GABRIELLE 
How much longer till you're done.

XENA 
Not long I only have a couple more places to go. I should be done in about an hour or two.

GABRIELLE 
Okay.

XENA 
How's Luka doing.

GABRIELLE 
Fine. I'm making dinner for him now.

Xena checked the time seeing that it was already past 6 o'clock.

XENA 
Damn it's that late already?

GABRIELLE 
Time flies when you're chasing down bad guys.

XENA 
Apparently. Anyway I'll finish this up and be home in a bit.

GABRIELLE 
Okay I'll see you soon.

XENA 
Bye.

Xena hung up and tossed her phone on the passengers seat. She stretched her neck as she thought of the next place on her list.

XENA 
Okay let's get this done.

She was about to start driving when Xena's phone beeped. She picked it up and saw that she had finally gotten the autopsy reports from the bodies that were managed to be recovered from the warehouse explosion. She scrolled through for a bit and then stopped.

XENA 
Shit.

As Xena read she found a report that said that a body recovered from the warehouse was a perfect match for the DNA from the blood found at the apartment. Luka's mother was infact one of the victims found there. Xena angerly threw her phone on the seat.

XENA 
Fuck!

She leaned her head on the steering wheel. Feeling incredibly frustrated about the whole situation. Knowing that now she was going to have to somehow tell the innocent little boy back home that his mother was dead. She sat back.

XENA 
Screw it I'll finish questioning people tomorrow.

Xena started to drive home. Deciding to wait until she got home to tell Gabrielle that way they could both figure out the best way to tell Luka about his mother. She was stopped at a traffic light idlely watching the other cars go through the intersection. While she waited for the light to change she noticed a car on the opposite side of the cross section looked familiar. She grabbed her phone and zoomed in with the camera. The light changed and the car turned the corner and drove off. As it turned Xena recognized the back of the car. She quickly snapped a picture as she opened her notes finding the license plate from the car that fled the scene from the warehouse. It was a match. Xena quickly tossed her phone and stomped on the accelerator, following after the vehicle.

XENA 
Found you, you son of a bitch. You're not getting away this time.

The driver in front of her must've recognized Xena's car, because once xena started following them, the car took off and started trying to speed away.

XENA 
Oh no you don't.

Xena sped up and followed her fleeing mystery suspect. With that the chase was on. As the two cars sped down the street. Weaving through the traffic of the busy city. Xena's sights were locked on, ready to take down the criminal that had caused all the pain and suffering that she had seen from this case. She was ready to put a stop to their madness once and for all.

×××

The tires on Xena's car screeched as she speed around the corner, flipping on the siren as she chased after the vehicle in front of her. She clenched the steering wheel tight as the cityscape flew past the windows as she drove. Her gaze focused on the car ahead trying to dart between traffic in an effort to lose Xena. But she stayed hot on their trail. Even when she was a few cars back, Xena maneuvered between the vehicles and found herself right behind her fleeing suspect once again.

XENA 
Your gonna have to try a lot harder than that if you wanna get rid of me now.

Over the centuries Xena had picked up a vast variety of skills to add to the already impressive resume that had all come in handy in all sorts of situations. One of those skills being driving. Once she was behind the wheel, Xena could chase down anyone. No matter how good they thought they were, Xena could always out maneuver them. And Xena wasn't about to let this situation be any different.

XENA 
You got lucky getting away once, I won't you escape again.

The two cars sped up a hill. Launching through the air as they went over the top, before landing back on the road on other side and continued on without stopping. Tire marks scared the pavement as the car in front suddenly skidded around another corner. Xena followed right behind, but her tires must've lost some traction. Because as she sped around the corner, her car slid further through the intersection and spun out. Xena quickly stepped on her brakes and brought the car safely to a stop. With the vehicle now facing the wrong direction, Xena looked behind her, seeing her mystery suspect driving away.

XENA 
If you think you're getting away that easily, you've got another thing coming.

Xena quickly put her car in reverse and while turng in her seat and looking behind her, went on chasing after the other vehicle while driving backwards. Having no more difficulty keeping up than when she was driving normally. The two cars continued through the busy city streets. Avoiding the other people on the road as they breezed past the traffic. The mystery person in front quickly turned another corner. Xena took the opportunity and briefly stopped in the intersection and switched back to driving regularly as she stomped on the gas and continued the chase. Xena's pursuit eventually led her to the outskirts of the city. The sun had begun to set as the lead car suddenly turned off the road and sped down a dirt path. Xena stayed right on their trail and followed close behind.

GABRIELLE 
Huh Xena should be home any time now.

Gabrielle put down her phone after checking the time. Looking out the window at the slowly darkening sky as she sat on the couch.

LUKA 
Can we play one more game?

Gabrielle looked at Luka who was on the other end of the couch and smiled as she shook her head.

GABRIELLE 
Sorry but it's getting late and little boys need their sleep.

LUKA 
Pleeeease.

Gabrielle couldn't help but smile and laugh a little at the cute little face looking up at her.

GABRIELLE 
Fine, but this is it. One more game then it's bedtime got it.

LUKA
Okay.

A car burst through a locked gate as it kicked up dust from the dirt road beneath it's tires. It drove full speed towards an unknown destination. Another car followed not far behind with Xena at the wheel as she remained in hot pursuit. With no other traffic in her way, Xena began to gain ground on the vehicle she had been chasing.

XENA 
Big mistake going somewhere much more open. Now I gotcha.

The sky got darker as night fell and the lead car made a quick turn behind some trees momentarily leaving Xena's sight. Xena made the same turn. She was suddenly forced to stomp on the brakes when she saw the car stopped right at the turn. However she couldn't stop in time and smashed into the back end of the car. Fortunately Xena was uninjured, just a little stunned. She sat there for a moment as she realized what happened. Then she saw a person a little in the distance going into the abandoned amusement park that she just realized she was at.

XENA 
Okay now you're just pissing me off.

Xena got out of the car and ran after them. She hugged the wall at the entrance and cautiously peeked around the corner. Even though she didn't particularly like to use it, Xena pulled out her gun and kept it ready. She thought it was far too easy for anyone to get one and seen far too many people accidentally or easily injured and killed from them. She missed the days of swords and other simpler weaponry where it wasn't so easy for innocent by standers to get caught up in the cross fire. But in situations where she felt like the benefits out weighed the risks and found it to be the best option she would use it. In this scenario with no one else but the suspect around and not knowing what she was walking into, Xena found this an appropriate time to have her gun ready. She yelled in to the area.

XENA 
Police! You've got no where left to run. Come on out with your hands up. Do not make me come after you.

When Xena got no response, she made sure the coast was clear and ventured inside.

XENA
Fine have it your way.

As it got darker, Xena took out her phone that she grabbed before she left her car and tuned it on, using it for a little light. The amusement park was eerily silent as she carefully walked through. Staying on her guard she looked around. She spotted a shadow duck behind one of the broken down rides.

XENA 
(Talking quietly) There you are.

Xena sped up a little and stopped when she reached the ride. She leaned against it as she peeked around. No one was there.

XENA
(Talking quietly) Shit, where'd they go?

Xena carefully walked out from behind the ride and looked around for any signs of her mystery suspect. She slowly continued through the area, but fell to the ground when out of nowhere she was suddenly struck from behind. Stunned Xena tried to get up but was quickly hit in the head again. Her vision blurred as she fell face down in the dirt. Xena turned her head and saw a pair of feet walk up to her. Her head in a fog Xena reached out and grabbed onto the ankle of the person standing over her. As blood began to run down the side of Xena's face from the blows to the head, she tried to pull herself up. She looked up to see who was standing in front of her. But before Xena could see their face, she was struck again and after that Xena's world went dark as she fell unconscious.

GABRIELLE 
Damn voice mail again.

Gabrielle looked at the time. It was now going on 11 o'clock at night. 

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Xena should've been home hours ago.

She stood up from the couch as she scrolled through the list of numbers on her phone until she found the one she was looking for and hit the icon. It rang for a number of times until finally the face a tired looking Ares Appeared on the hologram in front of her.

ARES 
(Annoyed tone) What?

GABRIELLE 
You haven't heard from Xena have you?

ARES 
It's 11 at night Gabrielle why would Xena be calling me?

GABRIELLE 
That's my point Ares. I can't get a hold of her and she was supposed to be home hours ago.

ARES 
Have you checked the G.P.S. on her phone?

GABRIELLE 
Of course I checked. But it's been turned off.

ARES 
Well have you considered that maybe Xena went somewhere she doesn't want you to know about.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) What's that supposed to mean?

Gabrielle gave Ares an angry look not liking what she thought he was implying.

ARES 
Easy girl, before you start giving me an earfull about how she could never do that sort of thing, relax I didn't mean it like that. I simply ment that maybe Xena found something and she didn't want you following her because she thought it was too dangerous.

GABRIELLE 
Even if that's true, she still would've called by now.

ARES 
Relax this is Xena we're talking about, I'm sure what ever she's up to she's fine. She just probably found something, went to investigate and just forgot her phone in the car or something. She can handle herself just fine, so i'm sure you're just worrying for nothing.

GABRIELLE 
(Sighs) Yeah you're probably right.

ARES 
(Joking) Well at least someone finally admits that.
Can I go back to bed now?

GABRIELLE 
Talk to you later.

ARES
Yeah, yeah.

Gabrielle ended the call and looked out the window. Still not able to shake the feeling that something was wrong.

GABRIELLE 
I really hope Ares is right.

She looked at the dark sky outside.

GABRIELLE 
Just please be okay and come home soon Xena.

×××

Continued in Part 5

Email- tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

Back to the Academy