There was a painful throbbing in Xena's head as she slowly began to stir. Her eyes opened a little and shut again when she felt the aching becoming worse the more she woke up. After a moment she opened her eyes again and lifted her head. As she regained her focus from being knocked out, she began to become aware of her situation. Xena felt a trickle of blood as it ran down the side of her face. There was some sort of cloth stuffed in her mouth and tied around her head, Cleary so she wouldn't be able to speak or yell for help. She tried to move, but realized that she had been tied up and chained to a steel beam. She fought to get free but soon stopped struggling when she realized she wasn't getting out that easily. Xena leaned her head back against the beam as she tried to lock around to figure out where she was. Unfortunately where ever Xena was it was farely dark. All she could really knew was that she was sitting on the cold, hard, concrete floor in some kind of old, run down looking building. She looked around and saw a small window on the far wall behind her. Though she couldn't really see anything due.to how dark it now was outside. Xena looked up as she tried to figure out what she was going to do to get out of this.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Damn just how long was I out for. I need to find a way out of here.

Gabrielle nervously paced back and forth in their living room trying to think of where Xena could be. It was now almost 2:30 in the morning and there was still no sign of her. Gabrielle had called everyone she could think of that might've seen or heard from her but no one had any contact with Xena since Gabrielle had spoken to her last and that was hours ago. 

GABRIELLE 
Something's really wrong, I know it. Xena would never just disappear like this.

There was a small flash of light as Aphrodite popped into the living room. Gabrielle hugged her.

GABRIELLE 
I'm glad you're here.

APHRODITE 
Still no signs of Xena yet?

GABRIELLE 
No. I'm really worried Aphrodite. I don't know what could've happened to her.

APHRODITE 
Don't worry my bros got his people out there looking for her. Well find her Gabby.

GABRIELLE 
I just can't shake the feeling that Xena's in trouble. I wish I could be out there looking too.

APHRODITE 
I know. 

Aphrodite looked around for a moment.

APHRODITE 
By the way where's that little cutie I've heard so much about?

Being that Xena and Gabrielle were such good friends with Aphrodite and the fact that she was one of Xena's informants, she knew all about Luka. 

GABRIELLE 
I'm letting him sleep in our room so I don't wake him with my pacing around, constant phone calls and checking the news to see if anything turns up there.

APHRODITE 
Good idea.

Gabrielle sighed as she grabbed her phone and called Ares again for the unknown numbered time.

ARES 
I don't know what you want me to tell you, we still don't have any thing yet.  

Gabrielle put the phone down when she heard Ares voice coming from behind her. Having clearly gotten tired of her phone calls, Ares had decided to try delivering the message in person. Gabrielle turned around as he crossed his arms and looked at her.

ARES 
I told you I would call you as soon as I got any information.

Gabrielle sighed sadly as she went over to the couch and sat down.

GABRIELLE 
I know, I know. I just...

Ares sighed.

ARES 
I get it. 

Ares walked over and put his hand on Gabrielle's shoulder.

ARES 
We're gonna find her. Just make sure you keep your phone nearby incase she calls.

Gabrielle looked up at him and nodded slightly.

ARES 
Okay. Hang in there. I'll give you an update soon.

Ares stepped back and disappeared. Leaving to return to help the rest of the detectives on the force trying to locate Xena. Aphrodite could see the tears forming in Gabrielle's eyes as she sat there quietly. She walked over and sat next to her.

APHRODITE 
Is there anything I can do?

GABRIELLE 
No. I don't think so. But thanks anyway.

APHRODITE 
Okay. I'll just stay here until they find Xena.

Gabrielle looked at her friend.

GABRIELLE 
Thank you.

APHRODITE 
Of course that's what friends are for.

Meanwhile Xena was still trying to escape her restraints. She let out an groan of pure frustration when for all her efforts, she still couldn't get free.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Come on damn it.

She huffed pulled against the chains and rope holding her. Then stopped to catch her breath for a moment.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Rope AND chains, someone's a little excessive.

Xena pulled again but still couldn't get anything to budge. She had already tried to see if there was anything she could reach with her feet but there was nothing around her. At least nothing Xena could see. The room was still pretty dark so she wasn't able to really see much. As Xena sat there trying to come up with a way out of her situation, she heard what sounded like a heavy door being opened and shut. Then footsteps coming up behind her. After a moment they stopped and the lights inside the dark building came on. The sudden brightness blinded Xena for a moment as she squeezed her eyes shut and then blunk a few times as her eyes adjusted to the light. Once she could see again Xena saw where she was. She appeared to have been being held captive in the amusement parks fun house. Though with how old and run down everything looked, the name "fun house" was now more of an ironic title. It looked more a long the lines of being a haunted house then any place that could be possibly referred to as fun. It honestly kind of gave Xena the creeps. Xena scowled when out of the corner of her eye she saw a broken down, robotic, creepy looking clown sitting in the corner among a bunch of other junk.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Ick, I've always hated clowns.

The footsteps resumed making their way towards Xena. She leaned her head back as she waited for whatever was there to show themselves. She perked up when she heard a small chuckle as the footsteps got right up behind her. Xena growled into the gag in her mouth at the sound of the voice.

?
(Mocking tone) Well, well, well. Look who we have here.

Xena watched as someone walked in front of her and stood there. Xena angerly glared up at the mocking, evil smile on the face of the person standing before her. She pulled against her restraints as she finally layed eyes on the one who was clearly behind all the kidnappings and murders. Completely surprised, confused and enraged by who she saw.

ALTI
Hello Xena, it's been far too long since we've seen each other last hasn't it?

×××

Xena glared up at Alti while she sat bound and gagged on the floor of the abandoned fun house. Alti looked down at her as she smiled a menacing grin.

ALTI
(Mocking tone) What's wrong Xena, not happy to see me?

Xena made a small growl into the cloth in her mouth.

ALTI
Oh right, I guess you can't really answer me right now can you?

Alti crouched down in front of Xena and removed the gag.

ALTI 
There we go now we can have a little chat. It's not like anyone can hear you if you yell for help anyway.

XENA 
Alti. Shouldn't you be dead?

ALTI 
Yes you tried to kill me, but you apparently couldn't quite get the job done.

XENA 
You've been out of the picture for centuries, why turn up now? What are you up to?

ALTI 
Oh I've been around Xena. Our paths just haven't crossed in a very long time.

Alti stood back up.

ALTI 
As for what I'm doing? Unfortunately after all this time my powers have for reason begun to weaken. But luckily I've found a way to restore my power. It's a slow process, but I have been seeing results little by little.

Xena felt herself growing more infuriated by the moment.

XENA 
You monster. You've been using innocent people as ritualistic human sacrifices just so you can have more power?!

Xena pulled against her restraints. Alti chuckled slightly as Xena unsuccessfully fought to get free. 

XENA 
Alti I swear you will pay for all the people you've hurt and killed.

ALI
Will I? Because from where I'm standing you're not exactly in the position to do anything to stop me.

XENA 
We'll see. You do realize that I'm not the only detective in this city. Someone will eventually figure out what you've doing. You will be stopped.

Alti just laughed. Then she appeared to think of something.

ALTI 
Ah yes since you mentioned other people. I believe you took something that belongs to me. And I want him back.

Xena clenched her fist that were still tied behind her.

XENA 
Luka. He's just a child, what could you possibly need him for specifically? 

ALTI 
Simple. Most children have far more pure and innocent souls than adults. And the more pure the soul the greater the power I can get from the sacrifice. Unfortunately getting children by themselves is difficult so I've had to settle for others as well.

XENA 
So that's the connection between everyone you've murdered. You're literally killing your victims strictly because they're good people. You're even more evil than I ever could've imagined.

Alti didn't say anything as she walked over to a table, picked something up and came back.

ALTI 
Now tell me where I can find the boy.

XENA 
What makes you possibly think that I'd tell you where he is?

ALTI 
I knew you'd say something like that. If you won't tell me, I know someone who will.

Alti held up Xena's phone to show her that she had clearly taken from her, as she opened Xena's contacts and tapped the first icon on the screen. The phone on the table rang as Gabrielle quickly snatched it up and looked at the screen. Seeing the name that came up, she instantly answered.

GABRIELLE 
Xena where the hell have you been? Do you have...

Gabrielle stopped when all she could see was what looked like a bunch of junk on the hologram image. Then she heard someone chuckle in the back ground.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?

Gabrielle looked at the screen as someone other than Xena came into view as the phone moved. She could hardly believe what was seeing.

GABRIELLE 
Alti. How?

ALTI 
Hello Gabrielle.

Gabrielle quickly pushed aside her initial shock and got straight to the matter at hand.

GABRIELLE 
Why do you have Xena's phone? Where's Xena? What did you do with her?

ALTI 
Nothing... yet. She's right here, see.

Alti turned the phone so Gabrielle could see Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Xena looked at the hologram, seeing Gabrielle's worried face.

XENA 
Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
Are you okay?

XENA 
I'm alright.

Alti turned the phone back towards her.

ALTI 
See, like I said she's just fine. For now.

Gabrielle scowled at Alti.

GABRIELLE 
What do you want Alti?

ALTI 
The child that you have in your possession, bring him to me.

GABRIELLE 
Luka? Absolutely not. I would never hand over an innocent child to the likes of you.

Xena smirked.

XENA 
See I told you.

Angered by Xena's cocky comment, Alti swung her hand and smacked Xena hard across the face.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

ALTI 
Quiet I wasn't talking to you.

Alti returned her focus to Gabrielle. 

ALTI
Now as I was saying, bring me the child and in return I'll let xena go.

GABRIELLE 
And if I don't?

Alti chuckled as she walked over and placed Xena's phone on a table a few feet away from Xena. Making sure Gabrielle had a clear view of her.

ALTI 
Oh you will... trust me.

Gabrielle watched as Alti walked over and stood beside Xena. Xena grimaced as Alti roughly grabbed a hand full of her hair and lifted her head to look at her and then right at Gabrielle.

ALTI 
I wonder just how long you're gonna be able to sit and watch what I'm about to do to her before you finally give me what I want. Oh and once you have our location, if you end the call or bring anyone but the child with you, I'll kill her. Very, very slowly.

Alti let go and smacked Xena again. Ever defyent, Xena simply looked up at Alti and smirked.

XENA 
Is that the best you've got?

ALTI 
Oh no. We're just getting started.

×××

A small splatter of blood hit the floor as Xena spat some out of her mouth. She huffed as she looked at Alti who had struck her again. Her face and body beginning to form multiple bruises as Gabrielle angerly looked at the image from her phone at home.

ALTI 
Are we done yet?

XENA 
Funny I was about to ask you the same thing. Ugh...

Xena felt the air driven out of her when she got a hard hit in the stomach. Gabrielle could only watch as Xena coughed and caught her breath.

GABRIELLE 
That's enough Alti!

All looked over at the hologram from Xena's phone.

ALTI
You know how to stop this.

GABRIELLE 
You're not getting Luka.

ALTI 
Suite your self.

Alti punched Xena again and walked over to a small table. She had her back to Xena and Gabrielle so they couldn't see what she was doing.

ALTI
Ah let's start with this one.

She turned and came back over to Xena who was still tied up and sitting on the floor. Alti crouched down next to Xena as she grabbed her hair making sure Gabrielle could see her clearly. She smiled at Gabrielle as she held up a small knife. Then in a swift motion Alti sliced Xena's cheek. Xena let out a quick yell as she instinctively turned her face away. Then with blood now running down the side of her face from the fresh cut, Xena looked back at her captor.

ALTI 
Well?

XENA
Fuck.. you.

Xena yelled again when Alti quickly made another cut on her arm. Then her leg, then above her chest, her other arm. Each time as much as she tried not to, Xena made some kind of painful reaction. Gabrielle had tears in her eyes as she was forced to witness Xena's torture. Aphrodite who was still with Gabrielle couldn't stand to watch any more. As much as she wanted to just pop over to Xena's location, she couldn't risk Alti just out right killing Xena the moment she showed up. She got up and stood sadly by the window as she still heard Xena from Gabrielle's phone. Not knowing what she could do in this situation. Another painful yell could be heard as Gabrielle began to cry, seeing Xena being tortured like this was tearing up her heart.

GABRIELLE 
Stop! Please just stop.

Alti paused her actions and looked at Gabrielle's image.

ALTI
Have you finally seen enough?

GABRIELLE 
I...

Xena could see just how torn Gabrielle was.

XENA 
Gabrielle.

Xena weakly smiled at her.

XENA 
We can't give Alti Luka. 

GABRIELLE 
I know but...

XENA 
It'll be okay. I promise. I love you.

GABRIELLE 
...Xena.

ALTI
So I take it that's a no.

XENA 
You're damn right.

Alti looked at Gabrielle who just sadly lowered her head as she sat there quietly.

ALTI 
Fine. Then I think it's time to up the steaks.

Alti moved to the other side of the room and came walking back pulling a long chain that ran along a track on the ceiling behind her. She stopped next to Xena. Then Alti lossened the restraints that held Xena to the steel beam she had been tethered to. Xena instantly tried to fight back but Alti quickly retightened her restraints. Then she grabbed Xena's hair and smacked her head into the steal beam a couple of times. Leaving Xena stunned. Alti held Xena by the throat as she looked at her.

ALTI 
Now let's try this again.

Gabrielle watched as Alti untied Xena from the beam while Xena just sat there to out off it to do anything at the moment. After undoing Xena's wrists and retieing them in front of her, Alti put them on the hook. Then she walked to the wall and hit something on a control panel. She walked back over as Xena was slowly lifted into the air by her wrists. After a minute it stopped rising and Xena just hung there. Her feet not quite able to touch the floor. Alti stood in front of the now suspected Xena as she looked at Gabrielle's hologramed face.

ALTI 
There now you have a much better view for the show.

Alti didn't say anything else as she walked back to the table and came back carrying a metal pipe. Gabrielle's eyes went wide as Alti pulled back and then swung the pipe full force into Xena's ribs. The room echoed with Xena's loud cry of anguish. She gasped for breath as she felt the emeinse pain in her side. But apparently Alti wasn't done. She walked to the opposite side, pulled back and sent the pipe cracking into those ribs as well. Causing Xena to once again cry out. Still not satisfied Alti then took the end of the pipe and ground it into one of Xena's sides. Xena jerked as she tried to kick Alti away. But Alti simply stepped out of her reach and looked at Xena.

ALTI 
Give me the child.

XENA
Never.

Alti angerly clenched the pipe in her hand.

ALTI 
I forgot just how stubborn you can be. Fine have it your way Xena.

Alti then proceeded to mercilessly beat Xena with the pipe. Striking her again and again and again. Gabrielle watched in horror as tears streamed down her face. With every hit, every yell she felt like she could feel each of the blows in her very soul. Her heart sank further and further as Xena soon stopped yelling when she was hit. Finally Gabrielle reached her breaking point. 

GABRIELLE 
(Sobbing) Stop! I'll give you what you want! I'll do it. 

Alti once again paused in her brutal and barbaric beating. She looked at Gabrielle.

ALTI
Are you sure?

Gabrielle lowered her head in shame and sadness.

GABRIELLE 
Yes, I'll give you Luka.

Xena, who was barely conscious at that point, slowly raised her head and with the eye that wasn't swollen shut looked at Gabrielle as she spoke to Alti.

XENA 
(Weakly) Gabrielle, no.

Gabrielle looked at Xena's beaten and bloodied body she cried as she spoke.

GABRIELLE 
I'm sorry Xena. I have to do this. I can't sit here and watch her slowly kill you. I just can't.

ALTI 
At least one of you appears to have at least some sense. Now Gabrielle shall we talk business.

GABRIELLE 
If I do this I need your word that you won't lay another finger on Xena.

Xena tried to talk Gabrielle out of what she was about to do. But Alti gagged her again as she continued to negotiate with Gabrielle.

ALTI 
I swear I won't harm a single hair on her blood soaked head.

Gabrielle scowled at the comment.

GABRIELLE 
Fine.

Gabrielle looked at Aphrodite for a moment who had walked back over to her when she heard Gabrielle finally cave into Alti's demand.

ALTI 
Now how should we do this? 

GABRIELLE 
I can bring him to you. Just tell me where you are.

Alti thought for a moment.

ALTI 
I suppose that'll do.

Gabrielle felt guilty as she breathe a small sigh of relief.

ALTI 
I'll end the call and send you our location. Once I do, you have two hours to bring the child to me here.

GABRIELLE 
I understand.

ALTI 
Good.

Alti was just about to end the call when she stopped.

ALTI 
Oh I almost forgot. Gabrielle you and the child are the only ones I want to see come here. If you inform the police or anyone else of our whereabouts...

Alti picked up a small blade and pressed it into Xena's neck. Though not hard enough to break the skin.

ALTI 
You'll be watching helplessly as she bleeds out like a butchered animal when I slit her throat.

Gabrielle didn't say anything as she slowly nodded.

ALTI 
Good. I expect to be seeing you very soon.

With that Alti ended the call. Gabrielle just sat there on the couch for a moment. The gravity of the situation weighed heavy on her. Aphrodite walked back over and sat next to her.

APHRODITE 
I know how much Xena means to you, but you're not seriously going to do what that monster says are you?

Gabrielle looked at her phone when she got a message from Alti, giving her their location. After sitting silently for a moment, Gabrielle didn't look at Aphrodite as she finally spoke.

GABRIELLE 
Aphrodite, I'm going to get Luka and when I come back I need you to send us to the location that Alti gave me.

 ×××

Aphrodite looked at Gabrielle, surprised by what she had just said.

APHRODITE 
Gabrielle I know how you feel about Xena and seeing what Alti was doing to her, I can't imagine how you must feel right now. I wanna save her too, but think about what you're saying.

Gabrielle looked up at Aphrodite.

GABRIELLE 
I'm fully aware of what I'm doing.

Aphrodite couldn't believe what she was hearing.

APHRODITE 
But you heard Xena yourself. You know that she would never want this. 

GABRIELLE 
Aphrodite please. I can't leave Xena in the hands of that monster. 

Aphrodite saw the tears as they fell from Gabrielle's eyes.

GABRIELLE 
If I don't do something Alti's gonna kill her. But probably not before she makes xena suffer even more than she already has. You saw for yourself what she was doing to her.

Aphrodite hugged her friend as she cried.

GABRIELLE 
Please Aphrodite, help me save Xena. I need her. She's everything to me.

APHRODITE 
I know. It's always been that way for the both you. But what you're asking me to do. Gabrielle he's just a sweet little boy. I can't let you do this. Not just for him. But for you. You would never forgive yourself.

Gabrielle pulled out of Aphrodite's hug as she stopped crying and wiped her tears away.

GABRIELLE 
I'm not going to let anything happen to Luca. I swear. I'll protect him with my life if I have to. I just need you to bring us both to Alti. Please Xena doesn't have much time.

Aphrodite was relieved to hear that Gabrielle actually wasn't planning on handing Luka over to Alti. Even though she still felt uneasy about even bringing the child anywhere near that place.

APHRODITE 
I hope you know what you're doing.

GABRIELLE 
Please just trust me on this.

APHRODITE 
Okay Gabby. Get Luka and I'll take you.

Gabrielle stood up and went to leave the room, stopping for a moment to look back at her friend.

GABRIELLE 
Thank you Aphrodite.

Gabrielle left the room to get Luka. After a few minutes Gabrielle returned to the living room carrying a sleeping Luka wrapped in a blanket. The boys head rested soundly on her shoulder as Gabrielle gently held him in her arms. She spoke quietly as she walked over to Aphrodite.

GABRIELLE 
Okay I'm ready when you are.

APHRODITE 
(Sighs) Okay.

Gabrielle grabbed her phone typed something and showed Aphrodite where Alti said to go. She then put it in her jeans back pocket as Aphrodite nodded and stood next to her. She put her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder and in an instant they disappeared from the living room. A moment later they appeared just outside the fun house at the abandoned amusement park.

APHRODITE 
Well we're here. Wow this place could really use a makeover.

Gabrielle and Aphrodite looked at the rundown, creepy surroundings they now stood in. 

GABRIELLE 
You know what to do right?

APHRODITE 
I'll be ready.

GABRIELLE 
Okay let's get this over with.

Gabrielle took a breath as she began walking towards the entrance still carring the bundled up Luka in her arms.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Please just let Xena still be alive.

Gabrielle looked at the creepy exterior of the fun house for a second and went inside. She stood in a small room just at the entrance. Different from the one that Alti was holding Xena in. She spoke loud enough to Alert Alti of her arrival, but not so loud that she woke up Luka.

GABRIELLE 
Alti I'm here. I have Luka.

Gabrielle stood there for a moment and waited for Alti to appear. Which she did shortly after Gabrielle called her.

ALTI 
(Condescending tone) Ah Gabrielle so good of you to come.

Gabrielle glared at Alti with a burning hatred in her eyes.

GABRIELLE 
We're here, now where's Xena?

ALTI 
Uh uh, the child first.

Gabrielle showed that she did in fact have Luka. When Alti put out her hands to receive the child, Gabrielle held him closer.

GABRIELLE 
Not until I know Xena's still alive. I wanna see her for myself.

ALTI 
Very well, if you insist. This way.

Alti lead Gabrielle to where she was keeping Xena. Once the door to the room opened Gabrielle saw Xena still hanging by her wrists. Her head hung low as her body just hung there limply. The sight of seeing Xena this beaten and bloodied in person was even worse than Gabrielle had thought. True that throughout all their time together Gabrielle had seen Xena severely injured many times. Far too many as far as Gabrielle was concerned. But regardless of that fact it still didn't make seeing the one she loved more than anything in this kind of state any easier.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

With tears in her eyes Gabrielle ran over to her. She got to Xena and slowly reached out with one hand and gently touched Xena's face. As Xena felt something softly touch her cheek, she opened her eyes and slowly raised her head as she saw who was standing before her.

XENA 
(Weakly) Gabrielle.

Gabrielle gently stroked Xena's cheek with her thumb as she softly spoke.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay Xena I'm here now.

XENA 
(Weakly) You shouldn't have come.

Xena then saw the bundle that Gabrielle was holding in her other arm.

XENA 
(Weakly) Gabrielle no.

GABRIELLE 
Shh everything's gonna be okay.

ALTI 
Okay you saw Xena. Now hand him over.

Gabrielle looked over her shoulder as Alti begin walking towards them. She turned around to face Alti.

GABRIELLE 
Fine you want Luka?...

XENA 
(Weakly) Don't do it.

GABRIELLE 
Then take him..

XENA 
(Weakly) No.

Alti held out her hands to take Luka.

GABRIELLE 
Now!

The moment after Gabrielle shouted a fire ball whipped through the air and hit Alti. Knocking her down. Right after that Aphrodite materialized next to Xena, Gabrielle and Luka. Alti got up just in time to see Aphrodite put her hands on Xena and Gabrielle who still had Luka. She was about to throw her own attack at the group when she was hit again. 

ARES
Yeah not gonna happen.

Alti looked to see that Ares had shown up behind her. Then she quickly looked back at Xena, Gabrielle, Luka and Aphrodite just in time to see them vanish. Alti angerly yelled as she turned back towards Ares ready to attack. But didn't get the chance when after swiping Xena's phone off the table next to him, he too popped out. Leaving Alti alone, infuriated and hell bent on revenge. 

ALTI 
They'll pay for this. All of them. Especially Xena and Gabrielle. The two of them have stood in my way for the last time.

Xena, Gabrielle, Luka, Aphrodite and Ares all popped back into Xena and Gabrielle's living room. Gabrielle handed Luka to Aphrodite as she rushed to Xena who was free of her restraints and laying on the floor. Gabrielle quickly knelt beside her and held Xena's face in her hands.

GABRIELLE 
Xena.

Xena Weakly smiled at her.

XENA 
(Weakly) Nice one. Even I didn't see that coming.

Xena reached up, took Gabrielle's hand and softly kissed it. Gabrielle sadly smiled as she looked down at the beaten and battered Xena in front of her.

GABRIELLE 
I'm just glad we got you back home.

Ares crouched down next to Xena and Gabrielle.

ARES 
Wow she really did a number on you.

Xena looked at Ares.

XENA 
(Weakly/Joking) I've seen better days that's for sure.

ARES 
No kidding. Here let me see what I can do.

Ares held his hands over Xena and used some of his power to try and heal Xena's injuries. Gabrielle shielded her eyes as a bright light came from the god's hands. Ares shut his eyes and focused his power. After a couple minutes Ares abruptly stopped and huffed, feeling exhausted. He caught his breath and looked at Xena who while still pretty injured, looked to be in better shape than she was just a few moments ago.

ARES
Sorry this is the best I can do. My powers aren't quite what they used to be.

XENA 
(Joking) Which explains why you spend most your time now in a cushy office and not really doing the whole god of war thing. Well at least we know you're not completely useless.

ARES 
(Joking) I'm just gonna pretend that's your way of saying thank you.

Gabrielle smiled at Ares.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks Ares.

ARES 
Whatever.

Gabrielle looked at Aphrodite.

GABRIELLE 
You too Aphrodite. Thank you. I don't know what I would've done without the both of you.

APHRODITE 
Hey you know I'd do anything for the two of you. 

Aphrodite smiled at Xena.

APHRODITE 
Glad to have you back my favorite warrior princess.

XENA 
Aphrodite I'm the only "warrior princess" you know. Plus I haven't actually gone by that title in centuries.

APHRODITE 
(Shrugging) Oh well. Still counts. 

Gabrielle laughed a little as Xena rolled her eyes. 

APHRODITE 
Anyway sorry I can't fix you up due to my weakned power too.

XENA 
It's fine you've already done more than enough. Besides it might take a bit, but I'll be okay.

After making sure Xena was okay and Gabrielle had things handled, Aphrodite and Ares left. Gabrielle put Luka back to bed. Then she helped Xena from the couch where she was sitting to their room. Xena was still hurting as Gabrielle helped slowly ease her down to the bed. She helped get Xena's shoes off and get ready for bed. Then she also got comfortable and slid under the covers as she layed next to Xena. Xena layed on her back as she turned her head and looked at Gabrielle. She could see all the worry and emotional pain in Gabrielle's tired expression that she had endured since she had gone missing. Xena reached over and brushed the side of her face. Once she did, Gabrielle looked at her as she moved closer layed her head on Xena's shoulder as she layed her arm across her and just held her.

GABRIELLE 
I really thought I was going to have to watch you die today.

Xena wrapped her arm around Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
I was so scared I was gonna lose you and there wasn't anything I could do.

XENA 
I know. Everything's okay now.

GABRIELLE 
So I'm guessing that it's been Alti that's been behind the kidnappings and murders.

XENA 
Yeah. Much like Aphrodite and Ares, I guess her powers have gotten weaker too. She said that she's been using human sacrifices to restore her powers. And the reason she wants Luka so badly is because I guess the more innocent and pure the soul of her victims, the more power she gets.

Gabrielle shook her head in disgust and disbelief.

GABRIELLE 
Gods. We have to stop her Xena.

XENA 
I intend to. She got lucky and snuck up on me this time. But now that I know that she's here and what she's doing. I'm going to do what I thought I did a long time ago.

GABRIELLE 
Xena I know exactly how you feel, but right now you need to focus on getting better. We'll get Alti, I know we will.

XENA 
Don't worry Gabrielle. I'll rest a bit until I get back on my feet.

Xena looked up at the ceiling.

XENA 
And then I'm going to finally put an end to that psychopathic, shaminess bitch once and for all.

×××

A little over two weeks went by after xena had been rescued from Alti's clutches. Dispite not wanting to, Xena stayed home as she heald some more from the injuries she had suffered. Luckily thanks to Ares' powers she healed quite a bit quicker than normal. Plus Xena had always seemed to recover faster than most people anyway. Or as Gabrielle liked to refer to it as another one of Xena's "many skills". Ares was reading through something at his desk when he heard someone walk into his office. He looked up and shook his head.

ARES 
You know if you were anyone else I'd tell you to turn right back around and go home.

Xena leaned her shoulder against the doorframe.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Gee I guess it's a good thing I'm not then.

ARES 
How ya feeling?

XENA 
Little achy, but nothing I can't live with.

ARES 
Right. So it's probably safe to assume that you've been doing some digging in your "down time".

XENA 
Just a little. But nothing to useful.

ARES 
Yeah nothing here either. It looks like Alti's gone quiet. We also haven't had any more disappearances since we got you back.

XENA 
And that's what worries me. I get that we know what she's doing now. But there's no way she'd just give up so easily. And the way she was so fixated on getting Luka. I don't like how she's suddenly seems to have disappeared.

ARES
You know that the option for extra protection is still available. Not that I don't know that you're fully capable of protecting what matters to you.

XENA 
I appreciate the offer. But I'd rather not expose him to the whole armed guards thing. Poor kids been through enough already.

ARES 
Fair enough. Anyway what's the plan now.

XENA 
Well with no leads on where Alti could've run off to, unfortunately there really isn't much I can do. I gotta wait until she decides to make her next move.

Ares thought for a moment.

ARES
I know you're not going to like this idea but...

Xena scowled at Ares having already surmised what he was hinting at.

XENA 
Ares if you think for one second that I'm going to use that child as bait to lure Alti out, you're as crazy as she is.

Ares raised his hands in a defensive manner.

ARES
Hey it's just an idea. Besides I already knew you'd say no anyway.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Then why bring it up to begin with?

ARES 
Just thinking out loud that's all.

XENA 
Then maybe you should keep stupid thoughts like that to yourself.

Ares sighed realizing the mistake he had made by voicing that idea to xena. Not that he particularly wanted to put Luke in possible danger anyway. He honestly hadn't fully thought it out before he opened his mouth.

ARES 
Look just forget I said anything. We'll find some way to draw Alti out. I'll see if I can come up with anything.

XENA 
I'm sure.

Xena left Ares' office and went to her desk. She looked through her files on the case, trying to see if she could think of where Alti could be. It was around noon when as Xena was working, a small bag was placed on her desk. She looked up and smiled.

XENA 
(Joking) Oh no I seem to not have any money to pay for my lunch. What ever will I do?

Gabrielle smiled as she leaned down close to Xena's ear.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper Seductively) Don't worry I can think of a few other ways you could pay me.

Xena raised an eyebrow.

XENA 
If I wasn't at work right now...

Gabrielle laughed a little as she gave Xena a quick kiss and sat in the chair next to Xena's desk. Xena pulled the sandwich out of the bag and started to eat.

XENA 
So where's Luka?

GABRIELLE 
Aphrodite's watching him. You find anything new?

XENA 
No I've just been going through files all morning and nothings come up.

Gabrielle sighed.

GABRIELLE 
I'll just be glad when all this is over.

XENA 
I know the feeling.

Xena ate as she worked and chatted with Gabrielle for a bit.

GABRIELLE 
I should probably head home.

Gabrielle stood up as Xena smiled up at her.

XENA 
I probably won't be home too late. Not much to do here right now anyway.

GABRIELLE 
Okay. See you later.

Gabrielle was walking out the precinct when Xena's phone rang. She answered and saw it was Aphrodite.

XENA 
Oh Aphrodite, Gabrielle just left, she's on her way back... now.

Xena paused for a moment when she noticed that something didn't look right in the background. Then she saw the saddened look on Aphrodite's face. That was when Xena began to get a terrible feeling.

XENA 
Aphrodite where's Luka?

Aphrodite lowered her head as she wiped her eyes.

APHRODITE 
Xena I'm so sorry. I tried to fight her off when she showed up but..

XENA 
No Luka.

Xena quickly stood up and ran after Gabrielle who was almost out the front door.
She stopped when she heard Xena calling her name and turned around to see Xena running towards her. She saw the look on Xena's face as she got to her.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?

Xena held out her phone and Gabrielle saw Aphrodite who looked very upset.

GABRIELLE 
Aphrodite what's wrong?

APHRODITE 
Not long after you left Alti showed up.

Gabrielle shook her head slowly in disbelief.

GABRIELLE 
No..

APHRODITE 
I did everything I could to stop her, but she was too powerful.

XENA 
(Frustrated tone) Why didn't you just grab Luka and teleport out of there?

APHRODITE
He was playing in the living room and I was grabbing something from the kitchen when Alti showed up. I heard him yell and ran out to see Alti had grabbed him. I threw out some attacks at her but my aim was off because I didn't wanna actually hit Luka. And before I knew it both him and Alti were just gone.

Xena angerly threw her phone. It hit the ground and broke.

XENA 
FUCK!!

GABRIELLE 
No Luka.

Xena looked at Gabrielle seeing the sadness in her eyes.

GABRIELLE 
This is all my fault. I never should've left him.

Xena reached out, pulling Gabrielle in as she held her. 

XENA 
Don't say that Gabrielle. You had no way off knowing that Alti would find out where we live. Plus you left him with a god. You had evey reason to believe that he was safe.

GABRIELLE 
She's gonna use him as a sacrifice.

XENA
I won't let that happen. We'll save him.

Over the months since Luka had come into their lives they had gotten very attached to him. They had grown to love him as if he were their own flesh and blood. And with no actual viable family members to step in and take him, the two had begun contemplating the idea of possibly making their current situation permanent. But none of that would matter if Alti succeeded in her evil plan.

XENA 

I promise we'll stop Alti and get our boy back. No matter what happens, I'll save Luka.

Continued in Part 6

Email- tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

Back to the Academy