"Enter the Dark "

By

Wilbur

debbir2000@yahoo.com

Go To Part 1


Chapter Five: "In Duplicate"

After partying into the wee hours of the morning, Deerdra wakes up with a massive hangover and a pretty brunette. Deerdra squeezes her eyes shut then opens them again trying to clear the fog. She looks at the woman passed out drooling on the pillow. "Huh, I could have sworn you had red hair. Okay, genius, what else don't you remember? I probably don't want to know."

She gingerly gets out of bed and makes her way over to a water bowl and splashes her face then crinkles her nose. "What is that smell?" She sniffs some more. "Ugh, it's me. What on earth did I do last night, roll around in a barn?" She runs her fingers through her hair. "No straw. Oh well, I'd better get cleaned up before meeting up with Gabrielle and Xena for the big unveiling." She cleans up the best she can with what little water the brunette has in her house then dashes out the door, nearly running over Xena.

Xena looks her over. The dark circles under her eyes betray her spiffy appearance. "Somebody had a good time last night."

Gabrielle frowns. She's disappointed in the way Deerdra behaved last night but is enjoying the fact that Deerdra feels and looks like crap. "Are you sure you're up for this?"

Deerdra squints and puts her hand up to shield her eyes."Yeah, I'll be fine. Geez, that sun's bright. We need something other than a hat to wear to shade our eyes, you know?"

Gabrielle's feeling snarky. "You wouldn't need to if you didn't drink and party all night."

Deerdra doesn't have time to be snarky back, Thomas joins them wearing a fancy, ceremonial type robe. "Good morning! I gather you all had a good time last night?"

Xena and Gabrielle look at Deerdra. "Yes, we did. You sure know how to throw a party."

Thomas smiles. "If that impressed you, just wait to see what we have in store for you today." He puts his hand on her shoulder. "Come and take your place next to me on the stage. Your 'friends' can stand over there next to the stage and have a front row seat." He turns to the duo. "I want you to have a clear view of our gift to Deerdra." He leads her away and up the steps to the stage.

Gabrielle's frown deepens. "He's up to something, I can feel it."

Xena is no fan of his, either. "Yeah, I don't trust him, either. I'm concerned about this surprise of his. Be ready for anything."

They make their way to the front row and as soon as everyone else sees Deerdra standing next to Thomas on the stage, they start to gather around close. When Thomas is satisfied that everyone is there, he begins his speech: "Friends, brothers, and sisters! Welcome to the grand finale of the Tenth Annual Deerdra Reese Jubilee!"

The crowd cheers and Xena bends down close to Gabrielle. "Also known as The Return of the Old One."

Gabrielle snickers then shushes her.

Thomas continues: "As you all know, this year we have been bestowed with a great honor. Deerdra Reese herself has joined us for this year's celebration!"

The crowd roars. "There will be two parts to this finale. First, we'll finally get to see the end result of brother Erich's hard work-our very own Deerdra Reese statue! " More cheers. "Immediately after, I have a very special surprise for our honored guest! Deerdra, if you will join me at the end of the stage we will proceed."

The crowd chants, "Deerdra! Deerdra! Deerdra!"

Xena's back in Gabrielle's ear. "She had better be careful from here on out. Things could get ugly quick."

Gabrielle hollers back, "Don't worry! She'll do fine!"

Thomas grabs hold of the sheet. "On the count of three!" The crowd joins in. "One, two, three!" He yanks the sheet off revealing a marble statue a little over a foot taller than Deerdra. The crowd goes wild. It's a decent likeness. Xena and Gabrielle burst out laughing and Deerdra turns beet red.

Deerdra expects to make a speech but Thomas eager to show off his surprise.

He pulls her away from the statue and past the pole. "And now...the surprise!"

He takes a cloth and covers her eyes and motions to two men standing off stage. The men duck into a house and come out holding a large sheet in front of - something. They guide this something over to the pole then stop. One man walks behind the sheet while the other holds it in place. After a minute or so, the man walks back in front then nods to Thomas.

Thomas can barely contain his excitement. He removes the cloth from Deerdra's eyes then motions to the men. They drop the sheet and reveal...Eve battered and bruise and tied tight to the pole.

Gabrielle's jaw drops. "Eve?"

Xena nearly jumps out of her skin. "What's going on? What are you doing with my daughter?"

Thomas gestures to the audience and several men grab and detain Xena and Gabrielle. Xena yells, "Release my daughter, now! Deerdra, snap out of it and do something!"

Deerdra hasn't moved. She can't believe her eyes.

Thomas explains his surprise. "Our gift to you, the woman responsible for the death of our beloved War Goddess, Athena." He reaches into his belt and removes a very warn out dagger and hands it to Deerdra. He lowers his voice so only she can hear. "Time for you to avenge your wife's death."

Deerdra takes the dagger from him, looks at it then over at Eve. A maniacal grin spreads across her face.

Xena sees Deerdra's change in demeanor. "Deerdra, don't you dare harm her!"

Gabrielle attempts to reassure her. "She won't harm Eve. This is all for show, you'll see."

Xena grits her teeth. "It had better be."

Deerdra walks over to Eve, tossing the dagger in her hands as she goes. "Hello, Livia. Long time no see. I know you remember me, but do you remember this?" She shoves the dagger in her face.

Eve goes as white as the sheet that was hiding her. She flashes back to her years as Livia. Deerdra is laying face down on a battlefield, this same dagger protruding out of her back. Eve slides to her knees. "Deerdra, don't do this. We were different people then. I've changed and I know you have. Please don't go back to that dark place."

Deerdra rests the point of the dagger on Eve's throat. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't gut you right here and now."

Eve doesn't even have to stop and think about it. "Killing me will only add to your long list of regrets. Think about all that you've accomplished and what all you stand to loose." She stares right at Gabrielle.

Deerdra doesn't follow her gaze. "You're right on one point, I might regret killing you-- someday, but I won't sorry." She rears back and rams the dagger right into Eve's gut, twisting and turning the blade driving it in as far as it can go. She leans into Eve's ear. "Payback's a bitch, ain't it?" She slips the dagger out and holds it over her head in victory. "Rome's whore is no more!" The crowd roars as Eve slowly slides down the pole and crumples to the ground.

Gabrielle is mortified. "No."

Xena struggles to break free. "Deerdra!" She tosses her captors aside and leaps onto the stage. Deerdra backs away and is emotion free as she watches Eve's melodramatic death. Gabrielle also wrestles herself loose and joins Xena.

Xena cradles Eve in her arms. "Evie? Evie, don't leave me."

Eve struggles for air. "Don't be - angry with her, - Mother. She has - her reasons."

Tears run down Xena's cheek. "No. Eve. Don't go."

Eve reaches up with a blood covered hand and strokes Xena's cheek, wiping away her tears. "I love you, Mother." The light in her eyes dim.

"Noooo!"

Gabrielle stands there, stunned. She isn't sure what to say since she's the reason Deerdra is still traveling with them. She's heartbroken but worries it's Hope and Solan all over again. "Xena, I - "

Xena sniffles. "Don't. Just stay out of the way."

Gabrielle gives her a wide berth and a clear shot at Deerdra.

Xena gently lowers Eve down then turns her bloodshot eyes toward Deerdra. She rises to her feet, absolutely livid. "You son of a bitch!" She runs and tackles Deerdra. They fly off the stage and crash through the roof of an adjacent shop.

Gabrielle stands at the edge of the stage and scans the rubble. Eve calls out, "Mother?"

Gabrielle rushes over. "She's- busy, but I'm here, Eve."

Eve is almost too weak to talk. "Gabrielle. Watch over Mother and...and keep her safe. She...she won't be - allowed to...to come back n-n-next time."

That throws Gabrielle off. "The next time? The next time for what?" Then it dawns on her. "Wait, the next time she dies? Is that what you mean?"

"Yes." She goes limp. Gabrielle cradles her in her arms and weeps.

The crowd offer no sympathy just shouts of "Good riddance!" and "I would have carved her up like a holiday ham!" Their jeers come to an abrupt halt when Xena comes flying back through the hole in the roof doing a flip in mid-air then landing on her feet.

Moments later, Deerdra burst through the door and marches toward Xena. "I am so looking forward to this."

Xena responds, "To what, getting your butt kicked?"

Deerdra snarls, "To finishing what I started."

Deerdra charges Xena who grabs her by the shoulders, falls back, and flips Deerdra into the air using her legs. Deerdra lands on her feet, waits for Xena to turn around then lands a right-cross on Xena's jaw. Xena's head snaps to the left. She whirls around and kicks Deerdra in the head. Deerdra stumbles back a few steps then grins. "Is that all you have, Princess?"

Xena throws a piece of thatch to the ground. "I'm just getting warmed up."

The two draw their swords and circle, each looking for an opening. Not finding one, they charge and lock swords, tussling for the advantage.

Deerdra grins at her. "You can't overpower me, Xena."

Xena isn't going to try. "Maybe not, but I can do...this", She knees Deerdra in the stomach forcing her to back off. Then the sword fight is on.

Their blades are a blur as they use every combination they know to land the first blow. Deerdra strikes first, slashing Xena across the thigh. Blood starts to spurt out of the nicked artery and Xena retreats.

Deerdra wipes the blood off with her finger then inhales. "I do love the scent of fresh blood, don't you?"

Xena has dropped her sword and is trying without luck to stop the bleeding. She unhooks the chakram. "Yeah, especially when it's yours!"

Xena sends the chakram flying in an indirect route, of course. They watch as it bounces off a house, ricochets off a tree and then zooms straight toward Deerdra's back. Deerdra spins around in time for it to hit her in the chest...or does it? She stands motionless for a moment then slowly turns around. She's holding the chakram and has an has an evil grin on her face.

"For me? You shouldn't have."

Xena limps backward but can't resist a final, yet true, shot. "Gabrielle will never love you the way she loves me!"

The truth burns. Deerdra yells and charges once again, determined to bring the fight to a deadly end.

Xena retrieves her sword and musters up the strength to raise it to block Deerdra's blow, but in this state, she's no match for the demi-god's might.

In one swift downward slicing motion, Deerdra, using the chakram, breaks Xena's sword and plunges the blade into her chest. Methodically, Deerdra cuts Xena open from chest to navel, opening a massive, organ spilling wound. Deerdra holds the blood and gut covered chakram out in front of her and grins.

Gabrielle, who has been watching the battle from the safety of the stage, freaks out. She screams at the top of her lungs, "Noooo!" Putting her own safety aside, she grabs her sais, (and the Hind's Dagger), leaps off of the stage and attacks Deerdra. Deerdra, in turn, uses the chakram and her sword to block Gabrielle's furious flurry of blows.

Even in her anger, Gabrielle realizes that Deerdra isn't herself and is at the moment toying with her. She takes a chapter out of Xena's playbook. She backs up just enough and kicks Deerdra in the square in the gut, knocking the breath out of her. Deerdra stumbles backward and Gabrielle readies her sai and Hind's Dagger for a counter-attack. "Stop this now, Deerdra! Don't make me kill you!"

Deerdra would laugh if she wasn't so caught up in her anger. Instead, she does the unthinkable--she eggs Gabrielle into a fight that she knows the Bard won't win. "Come on, Queenie! Show me what you've learned from the Amazons and the newly departed Warrior Princess!"

That does the trick. Gabrielle yells, "Screw you, you arrogant bitch!" and charges.

Deerdra, with her sword in one hand and the chakram in the other, blocks Gabrielle's furious volley. Gabrielle manages to knock the sword from Deerdra's hand. This makes her confident, too confident. She goes in for a second go around leading with the dagger. Deerdra grabs Gabrielle's wrist and uses the chakram to lock up with her sai. Deerdra spins Gabrielle around, crossing and then pining her arms. She holds the chakram to her neck, "Say hello to Xena for me," then slashes her throat. Gabrielle falls to the ground, sees Xena's body then crawls over to her and dies laying next to her.

Deerdra surveys the carnage then raises the bloody chakram and yells a cry of victory.

* * * * *

A blinding flash and...Deerdra wakes up. Sweat is pouring down her face, soaking her shirt. She looks around and she is in a house laying next to the pretty woman from the night before. With trembling hands, she looks under the covers. "Orange-red. Whew, it was just a nightmare. As Michael's God as my witness, I swear I will never over-indulge in spirits again as long as I live."

She slips our of bed and stumbles over to the water basin. She sniffs, "What is that smell? Ugh, it's me. What did I do last night, roll round in a barn?" She pauses, "Why does that sound familiar? then shrugs it off. "I'll worry about that later, right now I'd better get cleaned up before I meet up with Xena and Gabrielle for the big unveiling." Cleaned and pressed, she dashes out the door and darn near knocks Xena over.

Xena looks her over. "Somebody had a good time last night."

Gabrielle is not amused. Deerdra's behavior last night deeply disappointed her, although if her appearance reflects how she feels inside... She snickers, "Are you sure you're up for this?"

Deerdra shields her eyes from the sun. "Yeah, I'll be fine. Geez, that sun's bright. We need something other than a hat to wear to shade our eyes, you know?"

Gabrielle pops off. "You wouldn't need to if you didn't drink and party all night."

Before Deerdra shoots her an answer Thomas walks up to them wearing a ceremonial robe. "Good morning! I gather you all had a good time last night?"

Xena and Gabrielle glance at Deerdra. "Yes we did. You sure know to throw a party."

A sick feeling washes over Deerdra. This conversation is all too familiar. "You know, I'm not sure that I am up for this. Maybe I can just stand at the edge of the stage and smile or something."

Thomas clasps his hand on her shoulder. "Nonsense. You're just a little hung over that's all. You'll feel much better once you see what we have in store for you today. Come and take your place next to me on the stage. Your 'friends' can stand over there next to the stage and have a front row seat." He turns and looks at Xena and Gabrielle. "I want you to have a clear view of our gift to Deerdra." He leads her up the stairs and onto center stage.

Gabrielle furrows her brows. "He's up to something, I can feel it."

Xena is feeling uneasy about him as well. "Yeah, I don't trust him either. I'm concerned about this surprise of his. Be ready for anything."

They take their place up front while the villagers fill in close around them. Thomas looks the crowd over and does a rough head count. Satisfied that most everyone has gathered, he begins his speech:

"Friends, brothers, and sisters! Welcome to the grand finale of the Tenth Annual Deerdra Reese Jubilee!" The crowd hoots and hollers.

Xena leans down so Gabrielle can hear her, "Also known as The Return of the Old One."

Gabrielle snickers then shushes her.

Thomas continues his speech: "As you all know, this year we have been bestowed with a great honor. Deerdra Reese herself has joined us for this years' celebration!" The crowd roars in approval. "There will be two parts to this finale. First, we will finally get to see the end result of brother Erich's hard work-- Our very own Deerdra Reese statue!" More cheers from the masses. "Immediately after, I have a very special surprise for our honored guest! Deerdra, if you will follow me to the end of the stage we will proceed."

The crowd begins chanting, "Deerdra! Deerdra! Deerdra!"

Here comes that wave of nausea again. Deerdra's insides are getting all knotted up. She tries to reassure herself, "This is all a coincidence. Nothing bad is going to happen. Just calm down and breathe."

Xena has to shout so Gabrielle can hear, "She had better be careful from here on out! Things could get ugly quick!"

Gabrielle yells back, "Don't worry! She'll do fine!"

Thomas grabs the sheet, "On the count of three!" The crowd joins in on the countdown. "One! Two! aaand...Three!" He yanks the sheet off to reveal a marble statue of Deerdra a foot taller than the real woman. The crowd is beside themselves yelling and clapping their approval. It is a decent likeness but still, Xena and Gabrielle can't contain their laughter. Deerdra is embarrassed and turns bright red. She has assumed that Thomas wants her to make a speech, so her mind races trying to think of something intelligent to say. She need not worry. Thomas is eager to show off his surprise.

He leads her away from the statue and over to the pole. "And now... the surprise!" He takes a cloth and covers Deerdra's eyes then motions to two men standing off of the stage in front of a house. The men duck into the house and come out holding a large sheet in front of - something. They guide this something up onto the stage and over to the pole. One man goes behind the sheet while the other holds it in place. After a moment or two, the second man returns to the front then nods at Thomas.

Deerdra mumble/chants, "Don't be Eve. Don't be Eve. Don't be Eve. Please, don't let it be Eve."

Thomas can hardly contain his excitement. He removes the cloth from Deerdra's eyes then motions to the men to drop the sheet. They whisk it away reveling Eve, battered and bruise with her hands tied behind her back and to the pole.

All of the color drains from Deerdra's face. "Oh, shit."

Gabrielle's jaw hits the dirt. "Eve?"

Xena's ready to charge the stage. "What's going on? What are you doing with my daughter?"

Thomas gestures to several men in the audience and they grab and detain Xena and Gabrielle. Xena struggles against them and yells at Thomas. "Release my daughter, now! Deerdra, snap out of it and do something!"

Deerdra's heart tries to beat out of her chest and her legs go all wobbly. She holds on to Thomas for support. That only confirms it to him that he's done a good thing and will be rewarded. He continues his Jubilee speech: "Our gift to you, the woman responsible for the death of our beloved War Goddess, Athena!" The crowd cheers. He reaches into his belt and hands Deerdra a beaten up old dagger. He whispers, "Time for you to avenge your wife's death."

Deerdra takes the dagger, looks at Eve, then sneers.

Xena sees the hate in her eyes. "Deerdra, don't you dare harm her!"

Gabrielle, ever the optimist, tries to reassure her. "She won't harm Eve. This is all for show, you'll see."

Xena growls, "It had better be."

Deerdra tosses the dagger back and forth between her hands as she strolls over to a terrified Eve. "Hello, Livia. Long time no see. I know you remember me, but do remember this?" She shoves the dagger's hilt into her face.

Eve goes as white as snow. She flashes back to her Livia days and sees Deerdra laying face down in the dirt with the dagger sticking out of her back and her walking away. Eve slides down the pole to her knees and asks for mercy. "Deerdra, don't do this. We were different people back then. I've changed and I know you have. Please don't go back to that dark place."

Despite her dream, Deerdra has to fight the urge to plunge the dagger into Eve's neck. Instead, she grabs Eve and jerks her to her feet. "Do you know how tempted I am to jam this thing into you and rip your guts out?"

"Deerdra, I - "

Deerdra places the blade against Eve's lips, "Shh. You don't know how lucky you are. I was shown the end result of killing you and believe it or not, I didn't like what I saw."

Xena doesn't like what she is seeing, either. "This show of hers had better end with her freeing Eve, Gabrielle."

Gabrielle is growing concerned as well. "I don't know what she's waiting for." She yells above the crowd noise, "Deerdra! Cut her loose!"

The villagers jeer with various members shouting for Deerdra to kill her already. Deerdra's ego soaks up their blood lust. She continues taunting Eve. "Who should I listen to? The voice of the people or the voice of reason?"

Eve is through pleading for her life. She tries a softer approach. "Listen to your heart. If the god of Eli spoke to you, you should not ignore what He had to say."

Deerdra growls. If it weren't for her run-in with Michael, she'd laugh at Eve's religious mumbo jumbo. As it is, she's not too keen on locking swords with the red-headed Archangel again, not yet at least. She steps behind the pole and cuts Eve loose. "You had better thank your God and Gabrielle for this. Now get out of my sight."

Eve rubs her wrists then bows at Deerdra. "Thank you."

Thomas has been passively watching all of this unfold. Not any more. He is livid. "No! She must pay! Athena's murder has to be avenged!" He grabs a sword and makes a run for Eve.

Xena breaks free and leaps onto the stage between Eve and Thomas. "Back off! I don't want to have to hurt you!"

Thomas is determined. "No! You will not ruin this day for me!"

The fool raises his sword and charges Xena. With no hesitation, Xena knocks his sword aside and runs him through with her sword. He falls to his knees then lands face first at Eve's feet. A hush falls over the crowd.

Deerdra scans the villager's faces, disgusted with them--and herself. "There is only one God, and it sure as Hell isn't me!" She marches over to her statue, picks it up, then hurls it at the closed doors of her temple. It explodes in a giant spray of marble. "No legitimate god ever asked for a human sacrifice! That's something the leaders came up with to keep people like you in line! Well, no more! It ends here and now with the death of this pathetic little man and that abomination!" She glances over at Xena and Gabrielle consoling Eve and sneers. Spotting an unmanned horse, she jumps off of the stage and rides out of the village and doesn't look back.

Gabrielle's emotions are all over the place as she watches Deerdra ride away.

Xena isn't having that problem. Right now, her only priority is her daughter. She holds Eve out at arms length looking for any fresh wounds. "Are you all right?"

Eve does a mental check. "Yes Mother, I'm fine."

Xena is relieved and with that relief come an admonition for Eve. "I swear Eve, one of these days, your preaching is going to get you killed."

Eve isn't concerned with her own safety. "If that is my fate, so be it."

Gabrielle picks up on angry grumbling from the crowd. "Uh, guys, can you finish this discussion someplace else? The locals are getting restless."

Xena hears them now. "Right. Let's go before they blame us for ruining their party."

They slip off of the opposite side of the stage and hightail it out of town.

After eluding the angry mob, it's night fall and they make camp. Sitting around the fire, Eve explains how she ended up in Areesia: "I had just finished telling a group of people about Eli and his message of non-violence when several men grabbed me and brought me to that village. I had no idea who they were or what they wanted."

Xena wants to know if she has some more butt to kick. "And your bruises? Did they hit you?"

"No. It wasn't the men who grabbed me."

Xena clinches her jaw. "Thomas."

Gabrielle needs to know, "How does Deerdra fit into all of this? She was just so--angry."

Xena knows. "It has to do with your past, your time as Livia, doesn't it?"

Eve sighs and stares at the ground, ashamed. "Yes. It was yet another low point in my life."

Deerdra walks up, startling everyone. "That's the understatement of the century."

Xena and Gabrielle leap to their feet, weapons drawn.

Xena growls, "You're not welcome here."

Gabrielle does a little defusing. "Deerdra, please don't start anything. It's been a long day and we're all tired."

Lucky for everyone, she isn't there to fight. "Don't worry. I'll leave just as soon as she tells you her story. Go ahead, Eve, tell them just how low a point it was."

Xena calls over her shoulder, "You don't have to say a word to her or us."

"No, Mother, you need to know why Deerdra has every right to want me dead."


*CONTINUED*

in

Chapter Six

Author's Page

Return to the Academy