Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Ties That Bind ”

Episode 16, Part 1

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – LATE EVENING

Xena is kneeling over Gabrielle's bedroll, massaging her back. Xena is wearing a tunic and Gabrielle has both of her underwraps on. Both their hair is damp, indicating a recent bath.

Xena, poking the upper underwrap and meeting metal under cloth, amused

XENA

You even sleep with kids?

Gabrielle, going along, affecting indifference

GABRIELLE

You get used to it.

Xena, back to kneading the muscles of upper back, smiling

XENA

I think you have issues with intimacy.

GABRIELLE

Says you; Athena is happy.

XENA

If I had a beautiful stranger visit me half the week, I would be doing cartwheels on the grass ecstatic. What does she say about your knifes?

Gabrielle giggles, imagining Xena romping around the fire

GABRIELLE

She thinks they are cute.

XENA

I like Athena. Looking back, I wish we found each other instead of Ares.

GABRIELLE

Xena, one can take sharing too far.

Xena, lost in reminiscence

XENA

There was no past, only present. I lived in the moment, regretting nothing and concentrating on purely existing. The freedom to do anything and no conscience to hold me back reached its zenith with … God of war. That turned to ash and Hercules waited for me at the end of that road. Facing death, I entered the first good path in years. Awake, I dreamt of a future only to find months later there was none. Thanks to you, I again have all three and I find myself asking: what if?

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

You would not change a thing.

Xena, guiltily

XENA

True. If the chain of choices led me to Potidaea and you, I would not alter one link in it. Not a single one. Gabrielle, I can't regret the mistakes without acknowledging doing so would lose you.

Gabrielle, softly yet forcefully

GABRIELLE

Despair for the evil you caused and accept the responsibility for your actions. Remorse is normal and healthy. Give in to regret and cry for the lives cut short. The past is done and set in stone. Now you must do penance and heal your soul.

Xena has stopped the massage and silent tears splash Gabrielle's back. Gabrielle flips over, reaches up with her right hand, and then brushes the tears away.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

You spread untold misery. I am here to wipe the tears.

Gabrielle scoots from under leaning Xena and sits up; she lifts Xena's hands, brings them together, and then kisses the fingers.

Gabrielle, tenderly

GABRIELLE

You run up a butcher's tab. I am here to clean the blood.

Gabrielle releases Xena's hands and embraces her best friend. Xena clutches her as if her life depended on it.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

You had no mercy. I forgive you.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – SLAVERS' CAMP – EARLY MORNING

Few hovels sit in a semicircle in a small clearing. To one side are wood cages with some leafy branches piled on top to make the leaks tolerable and keep the human merchandise relatively dry. One hovel is fortified; the windows are boarded and the doors locked and barred. That building is combination storage and prison. Two bored ARCHERS chat in the middle of camp near a large fire and one lightly armed GUARD paces around the cages. They are all wearing minimal leather armor, just a chest piece that covers part of the shoulders and ends at the waist. The condition of their equipment and clothing matches the abundant squalor in plain evidence throughout the camp. This is a small operation, just few thugs trying to scrabble a living. Xena and Gabrielle are out of sight, well hidden in the tree line. They lie on the ground, observing the early morning activity, of which there is little. They keep their voices low.

Gabrielle, bringing Xena up to speed, whispering

GABRIELLE

The women are from a Locia three days walk from here. Our opposition is a dozen thugs with collective intelligence no greater than plant life around here. This is their meal ticket for the winter and they will fight hard for it; stupid and desperate, your common combo. There is someone inside that locked building.

Xena, teasing

XENA

That's all?

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

Certain warrior's stomach was complaining loudly and I had to cut the scouting short; didn't want said warrior to give away our camp location.

XENA

Making fun of others in their hour of misery exposes your true persona. Bad, bad bard.

Gabrielle, playfully

GABRIELLE

Growl, gurgle, growl.

Xena rolls silently on top of Gabrielle and pins her down with her weight, not that Gabrielle is fighting back as it would give away their presence.

XENA

Apologize.

Gabrielle, smugly

GABRIELLE

I am a turtle.

She is wearing her steel armor and is quite confident in her defense and unsquashable nature. Xena gives a small sigh and rolls off, back to her original position.

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

Distribution?

GABRIELLE

The common slavers sleep in the two huts on the left. The next one over is the kitchen and the last one is for their leader.

XENA

Take out the guards and the leader. I am making a house call.

Gabrielle, observing

GABRIELLE

Isn't the point of that to cure?

Xena, loftily

XENA

It is about the spirit, not the principle. Besides, I am a healer …

Gabrielle, breaking in

GABRIELLE

… of death. It is not the condition that kills you, it is the treatment.

Xena, grinning

XENA

True. Time to shine, hero in a shell.

Xena noiselessly gets up and sneaks away, going around the edge of the clearing. She pops out shortly between two converted barracks and wedges a thick branch against the door of one. The GUARD and ARCHERS are not paying attention because they have a bigger problem.

Gabrielle picks her bow and quiver from beside her and goes to find her spot. Seeing Xena appear again she picks her target. The arrow takes the first ARCHER clean thru the right shoulder and comes out partially on the other side. Both ARCHERS stare at the shaft with complete surprise and by the time their brains finally process the implication, the second ARCHER is sporting a matching wound.

Xena kicks in the first door and it comes crashing inside, sunlight revealing unwashed bodies sprawled on the floor in dirty blankets and straw. Empty jugs litter the floor.

Xena, cheerfully

XENA

Morning boys!

With chakram and sword in hand, she wades in and screams answer her greeting.

The other door shakes and curses sound behind it, but the branch holds fast. The GUARD spots it and runs for it, only to be taken from behind in the thigh. The GUARD falls down and the kitchen door opens, followed by the one in leader's hovel. Gabrielle strolls into the clearing, disabling the cook with another well placed arrow. The LEADER takes off for the blocked door and she drops the bow and explodes into motion. The LEADER almost makes it to the door when she drives thru him, taking him into the wall, which entirely collapses onto the mass of THUGS on the other side. The hovel protests such abusive treatment by dropping on top of them all.

Xena sticks her bloody head out of the first hut and takes in the scene. The ruins of the building next door are filled with moaning and groaning THUGS who had little protection against the falling debris. Gabrielle is busy dishing out punishment to several THUGS and the LEADER, who all have lost the stomach for the fight and are desperately trying to get away. Vicious kicks and punches, of shield and plain variety, ensure they don't.

Xena, miffed

XENA

Overachiever.

She glances back inside and satisfied nothing is moving, heads for the action. Dropping her weapons, she flexes her fingers and forms both into fists. Two lucky THUGS stumble from the destruction only to find their good fortune had a short life. An uppercut with a little extra behind it lifts a THUG off the ground and flies him into dreamland. The second takes a kick to the groin and an elbow that grounds him. Xena breaks the neck of the GUARD shot in the leg and heads for the cages.

Xena, contently

XENA

I love being a hero. Her hero.

CUT TO:

INT. SLAVERS' CAMP – PRISON/STORAGE – MORNING

The lock turns and clicks and Xena steps inside. In the only free corner, to her right, a shadowed figure in chains rests on the bare floor. The dim interior is otherwise filled with sacks, jars and bundles of various shapes and sizes. They cover the floor and three corners, but are stacked low; this speaks of the poverty the owners face. There is not enough for hard times. And once the VILLAGE GIRLS empty it on Gabrielle's orders, the surviving THUGS face harsh prognosis ahead. You reap what you sow.

Xena steps further inside and the VILLAGE GIRLS enter behind her and start taking the provisions and goods out. There is already a small pile of weapons, armor, and other salvaged things deemed worthy on the ground; those are expected to contribute to the village fund. Now the contents of this hovel are added to it.

Xena joins the clearing out work as Gabrielle approaches and crouches in front of the PRISONER. She removes the shackles efficiently, using lock picks. Gabrielle takes a look at where the iron rubbed raw on the skin and without a word opens her healer's kit. She massages the feeling back into the PRISONER's limbs and then cleans the wrists and applies ointment. Linen strips secure the medicine in place. One of the VILLAGE GIRLS enters with a torch and Xena moves over to her and takes it. The PRISONER's eyes follow Xena the entire time before finally turning on the bard.

Gabrielle smiles and gazes into the eyes of the PRISONER, only to have her smile die on her lips as she flinches back. The PRISONER offers little reaction and appears puzzled by hers. Gabrielle regains her composure quickly and offers the PRISONER a waterskin. Xena misses the exchange, busy managing.

Gabrielle, evenly

GABRIELLE

I'm Gabrielle, that's Xena. Be nice. We will escort you to the village and then your fate is in your hands.

She gets up and walks outside as the PRISONER thirstily empties the container.

Xena comes over and can now see the face in detail; older, lined, and weathered yet familiar. Her heart skips a beat and her throat is dry.

Atrius, confirming

ATRIUS

Hello daughter.

Xena, stiffly and formally

XENA

Hello father.

ATRIUS

You look well. Heard a lot about you over the years.

Xena, condemning, coldly

XENA

You left mother to run the inn and raise three young children. Alone.

Atrius, sharply

ATRIUS

You have your past and I have mine. Don't cast stones.

Xena takes a deep breath and pictures Gabrielle. She can hear her gentle voice speak to her and her anger melts away.

Xena, conciliatorily

XENA

Mother is fine. Toris returned home after a long absence and Lyceus died young.

ATRIUS

I'm sorry.

XENA

I am too. I will tell you the same thing I told Toris: you can go back home. That is the easy part. Once you get there, the hard part starts. I know.

ATRIUS

Twenty years is a lifetime.

XENA

Gabrielle says the past is stone. I remember and repent but I do not affect. What matters is the here and now. Father, what is your path?

ATRIUS

Escort to Locia was extended by your healer. You and her took out Kirilus and his men?

Xena, warmly

XENA

Gabrielle is many things. You are welcome to travel with us to the village.

Atrius catches the tone, but mistakes the recipient.

Atrius, hopeful

ATRIUS

Think there is a chance for us, daughter?

XENA

It is a start.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – SLAVERS' CAMP – MORNING

Gabrielle is sorting thru the pile and starting to divide the items into bundles for transport. She points at one of the VILLAGE GIRLS moving the provisions and beckons her with her finger and a brilliant smile. That same girl has been casting Gabrielle furtive glances the whole while and it is time for some fun. The VILLAGE GIRL shyly yet eagerly approaches.

GABRIELLE

Hello gorgeous. You have a name to go with that body?

VILLAGE GIRL, startled yet pleased

VILLAGE GIRL

Rhea.

Gabrielle, appreciatively

GABRIELLE

Rhea, the mother of new Gods, Goddess of fertility. Pretty name, like its owner. I like.

Rhea, growing confident

RHEA

I am but a simple peasant girl.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Rhea, my simple peasant girl, how would you like to work under me?

Rhea, pleased

RHEA

Very.

Gabrielle spreads a somewhat clean blanket and loads it. Rhea assists her without a word and they playfully bump into each other as they fill it. Gabrielle forms it into a backpack and then signals Rhea closer with her head. Gabrielle stands behind her, takes Rhea's hands in hers and demonstrates how to tie the rope knots securely by guiding Rhea thru the motions. Rhea needs several lessons and is starting to press back into Gabrielle.

The VILLAGE GIRLS are giggling and whispering and that is what draws Xena's attention. She emerges from the open door and shakes her head at the spectacle. She heads straight for the pair.

Xena, sighing

XENA

Gabrielle, you are in a relationship.

Gabrielle ignores Xena as she and Rhea finish the last knot. Gabrielle steps back and gives Rhea a slap on the butt, eliciting a yelp.

GABRIELLE

Start on the next one, sunshine.

Rhea gives a smile and goes to lay another blanket on the ground. She starts filling it.

Gabrielle approaches Xena.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

Rhea was sending signals so I decided to have a spot of play.

XENA

Nothing serious?

Gabrielle, considering

GABRIELLE

You are right, I will ask Athena tonight if flirting is okay. When I said you were developing a conscience, I did not mean for you to be my conscience.

Xena, fondly

XENA

You heartbreaker you.

GABRIELLE

Guilty.

XENA

Go on, enjoy youth. One more thing: Atrius, the prisoner, is family.

Gabrielle, growing serious instantly

GABRIELLE

Father?

XENA

Yes.

Gabrielle gives her arm a squeeze then leaves Xena and returns her attention to Rhea.

Xena once again marvels at Gabrielle's ability to read her and know the exact words or gesture to offer.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – AFTERNOON

Gabrielle and Rhea are taking point, with VILLAGE GIRLS strung out behind them. The two are walking close together and enjoying each other company and conversation; despite the distraction, Gabrielle keeps a watchful eye on their surroundings.

GABRIELLE

Big family?

RHEA

One younger sister, Areliesa and six brothers. You?

Gabrielle, wistfully

GABRIELLE

I have Lila, my daughter, back in Potidaea. It's complicated.

Rhea, curious

RHEA

Ever considered going back?

Gabrielle, sighing

GABRIELLE

Daily. I tell myself one day and watch the months flow past.

Rhea nods and captures Gabrielle's hand, squeezing it in support. Rhea keeps the contact and they walk onward, hand in hand.

RHEA

My first betrothed died in a war, my second during the last raid. I am sixteen and twice a widow. Where is your husband? Xena mentioned a relationship.

GABRIELLE

It was over before it started, Perdicus just did not know it. The child is not his.

Rhea nods in understanding, not realizing that what Gabrielle said is true, just not the way she thinks. Gabrielle glances down at their joined hands and gently separates them. Rhea looks confused.

Gabrielle, honestly

GABRIELLE

I am not your third. There is no us, you and I are two people passing each other in life and having good time in the present. I am in a relationship and this evening I leave to spend the night together.

Rhea, hurt

RHEA

Oh. Then …

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

I like you. I meant what I said, all of it. We stop at flirting and it goes no further.

Rhea, pleading

RHEA

Hold my hand? Give me that much. Gabrielle, it would make me happy.

Gabrielle reluctantly takes her hand and they continue hand in hand again; Rhea dreaming of what could not be and Gabrielle regretting her giving nature. Thou she does not mind the touch and finds Rhea … Gabrielle imagines tonight's date with Athena will be very interesting. And then there is Xena.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – AFTERNOON

Xena and Atrius bring up the rear. Both are lost in thoughts and yearning for what might have been. There is regret mixed in there as well.

Xena, admitting yet afraid of the answer, tentatively

XENA

… I was a difficult child. Did it factor in your decision to leave?

ATRIUS

What? No, not at all, it was … not your fault in any way.

XENA

…

ATRIUS

Do you want me back?

XENA

…

ATRIUS

Xena, talk to me.

XENA

…

They walk apart, the gulf between them wider than it has ever been.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – EVENING

Xena and everyone are full of venison, the bones of the deer who donated it burning in the fire. Gabrielle comes back from her bath, dressed in plain white tunic. Her hair is wet and it cascades over her shoulders. She leaves her armor but takes her weapons, including the bow. Atrius and VILLAGE GIRLS, except Rhea watch this development with interest. They know she is a bard and expect a few stories tonight. Rhea knows better and she gazes into the fire with abjection.

GABRIELLE

Good night.

Gabrielle picks up her bedroll and walks back into a forest, fading like a ghost. There is no noise of her coming or going, she is there one second and she is not the next.

Both Atrius and the VILLAGE GIRLS look at Xena with questions in their eyes.

Xena, evenly

XENA

Gabrielle has a date.

They stare at the dense forest, empty of human life for miles and then back at her.

Xena, gruffly

XENA

Don't ask.

The VILLAGE GIRLS let it go, thou they get together and whisper. Guesses of nymphs and spirits drift back to Xena's sharp ears.

Atrius comes over from his spot and joins Xena.

Atrius, concerned

ATRIUS

Is she safe?

XENA

The question is: are the bad guys safe from her?

ATRIUS

Her steel armor …

Xena, interrupting

XENA

She won it at a dice game. Stop asking questions about her.

ATRIUS

You don't want to talk about yourself and you don't want to talk about your …

XENA

Friend.

ATRIUS

… friend. What do we talk about?

XENA

Why were you a prisoner?

ATRIUS

I scouted the village for them. When things went bad during the kidnapping, farmers died. The villagers hold me responsible for their deaths and Kirilus refused to pay me on the grounds he lost men. He planned to sell me into slavery.

XENA

Nothing like honest living, father.

ATRIUS

You changed. Maybe it is not too late for me.

Xena, suspiciously

XENA

Why now?

ATRIUS

I have a reason. You.

Xena, firmly

XENA

Gabrielle decides.

Atrius, confused

ATRIUS

What's going on?

XENA

I follow Gabrielle. You want to travel with us past Locia, ask her.

ATRIUS

I am your father.

XENA

You are a man who left when I was very young. You were not part of my life and I am not sure I want you to be.

Atrius, fishing

ATRIUS

The tales speak of great Xena, warrior princess, a daughter any father would be proud to call his own. True, you made mistakes and joining with Ares was the low point. Yet here you are, working for greater good. The past is over; time to find greater glory. Don't bend your knee to Gabrielle anymore. Rise and take your place among the living Gods that walk this land. Make your father proud.

XENA

I killed the last man who dared me to choose between her and we shared a common past; Marcus was the closest I could come to a friend in those days. There is no Xena, father. There is Xena and Gabrielle, together forever.

Atrius, now certain, insidiously

ATRIUS

I leave you with this thought. Consider it an advice from an old man who loves you. Daughter, I care for you, like any father. You speak of ties thicker than blood. Why is Gabrielle not here with you then? With a bond that strong why does she find comfort in arms of another?

Xena puts her head down, the words appearing to have their intended effect. Atrius rises and is about to walk away when Xena's voice stops him.

Xena, quietly resigned

XENA

She trusts me with her life. She does not trust me with her heart. That is the price for my past. I made peace with that fact.

ATRIUS

A lifetime of pain …

Xena, bitterly

XENA

My personal Tartarus before the real one; death is not a release for me.

ATRIUS

What keeps her with you then?

XENA

I damned her soul.

Atrius, crying out loud, startling the VILLAGE GIRLS on the other side of the fire

ATRIUS

By Gods, what have you done?!

XENA

What happened is over and now we go on.

ATRIUS

This is her way of punishing you, isn't it?

XENA

She won't speak ill of me, bless her pure heart. She knows the reason, yet she refuses to believe it. Gabrielle and hate can't coexist. In the time I known her and the stories of her past she shared, love guided her.

Atrius, dismissively

ATRIUS

No one is that noble and honorable. You hold her to an ideal that is impossible. One day it will shatter and expose the lies and rot inside.

XENA

Gabrielle has a gift to see the truth and lives in merciless light of self honesty. She is wise and kept her reading of you private. Thanks to her, I found out the answer without her insight. Tread lightly, father.

Atrius, persisting, condescendingly

ATRIUS

Love is blind, Xena. It affects my judgment and it corrupts yours.

Xena, growing angry

XENA

You listen and you listen well. Gabrielle was in an archery duel to the death and she used a blunt arrow rather than take a life. She chose oblivion over compromising her principles. Father, you say one more word with that forked tongue and I will spill your blood.

Atrius, knowing he pushed as far as he could and planted the seed of doubt, contritely

ATRIUS

I am a bad person. I have numerous vices and I‘m quite partial to work that is not advertised in the open. Yet I look at you reformed, stories made bone and flesh, and I am starting to believe there is hope for me too. I feel the heat of your belief in another and it warms my heart. If she will have me, I would like to learn from Gabrielle.

Xena, unsure but somewhat hopeful, allowing

XENA

Family belongs together, Gabrielle will agree on this.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – MORNING

After a cold breakfast of captured provisions, Xena watches the camp being packed and they head out. Gabrielle disappears right away, hunting their lunch and supper. Argo has turned into pack horse and she is not happy as one of the VILLAGE GIRLS takes the lead rope. Still, she soldiers on, like a good warhorse she is. Xena and Atrius take the rear again, depending on Gabrielle to scout ahead as she forages. Rhea joins them and Atrius speeds up to give them privacy.

Xena, growling

XENA

Yes?

Rhea, intimidated and stumbling over words

RHEA

Her … Gabrielle … I mean … not sure … sorry … who …

Xena, softening her expression and voice

XENA

Your competition is out of your league. Find a nice boy and settle down.

Rhea, stubbornly

RHEA

I can win her over. I need your help.

Xena drops the nice act and brings fire and thunder back. Xena, roaring her claim

XENA

Mine!!!

Rhea gives a startled squeak and runs away, past Atrius and back to the main group of VILLAGE GIRLS. Atrius shakes his head and slows his steps. He falls even with Xena.

ATRIUS

The drama is reaching Homer's Odyssey proportions. That one is mooning after Gabrielle like a calf searching for its mother.

XENA

Welcome to life with the bard. Compared to physical damage she can dish out, the emotional wreckage she leaves behind puts the sacking of Troy to shame. Gods, men, women, all are caught in that human tornado. Step into the storm, father.

ATRIUS

You are drawn to danger like bear to honey. Always were, even tiny. That is what I remember the strongest. Fearless and rushing headlong into another adventure, Lyceus following behind you like a lost puppy. Drove your mother mad with your escapades and took years off my life worrying about you two. Twenty years later and it is the same thing.

XENA

Good memories?

ATRIUS

They burn bright even in the coldest and darkest places.

XENA

Hard life?

ATRIUS

Similar to yours with considerably less success; merely surviving and relying on cunning instead of a sword. More desperate.

XENA

You had everything.

ATRIUS

Man is a fool by nature, specially a young man.

XENA

Another skirt?

ATRIUS

And a life full of riches and free of responsibility.

XENA

Same thing, change the skirt to power.

ATRIUS

Here we are, both broke and alone.

XENA

I have Gabrielle.

ATRIUS

Do you now.

Xena, warningly, in darker tone

XENA

Careful.

Atrius, concerned

ATRIUS

I meant she is with you but not yours. What was the story with that girl?

XENA

Rhea? Gabrielle marriage club lost another member.

ATRIUS

The other one scares that easily?

XENA

The other one scares me.

Atrius, confused

ATRIUS

You? Surely not Ares?

XENA

Athena.

Atrius stops walking suddenly and fear shows in his eyes. He is clearly shaken and nervous. Xena attributes it to her past.

Atrius, afraid

ATRIUS

Xena, you know better. Now there are two Gods involved and this is heading towards a bad place. Warlord sponsored by Ares is considered common trouble. You attacking poleis and crusading for one God Ares crossed the line. So did he. Not again.

Xena, firmly

XENA

Ares is history. Athena and Gabrielle are together.

ATRIUS

Are you Athena's Champion?

XENA

No, Gabrielle is, when she chooses.

ATRIUS

Then you are.

XENA

Guilt by association?

ATRIUS

Will you follow her anywhere?

XENA

Yes.

ATRIUS

There is your answer.

XENA

The warlord Xena is dead.

ATRIUS

I am a scoundrel and admit it. I face no illusions over actions taken in my lifetime. There is blood on my hands and a single, great regret for that day I left your mother. I know what I am and I speak with clarity afforded by age: you are in denial. The darkness in you is permanent and Gabrielle is Athena's. I love you, Xena. I abandoned you in Amphipolis but not in my heart. Trust me.

Long silence falls.

Xena, deciding

XENA

Speak to Gabrielle and then we will talk again. Don't lie, she will know.

ATRIUS

Thank you, daughter of mine.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDRENESS – FOREST – AFTERNOON

Xena is in her usual place in the back, lost in thought. Gabrielle leads the party and Atrius walks in the middle with the VILLAGE GIRLS, telling them some of his adventures. He takes a break and heads to the front, gathering his wits and planning his attack. He is not aware that he might as well face a giant with his bare hands for all the good that it will do him.

Gabrielle, somewhat friendly yet reserved

GABRIELLE

Hello father.

Atrius, disconcerted but recovering quickly

ATRIUS

Hello Gabrielle. What did your gift show you?

GABRIELLE

Dark heart and a soul to match.

ATRIUS

True. Does Xena know?

GABRIELLE

She did not ask and I did not tell.

Atrius, curious

ATRIUS

What do you see in her?

Gabrielle, smiling and the voice warm

GABRIELLE

Good heart and a dark soul, my reflection. My best friend. My hero.

Atrius, surprised and trying another tactic

ATRIUS

Xena is darkness.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

I forgive. I love her.

Atrius realizes that this is one rock that has no cracks. He tries something else.

ATRIUS

You should tell her.

GABRIELLE

I do. She guesses the rest and hopes for more.

ATRIUS

Athena has that.

GABRIELLE

We are moving forward. It is new to both of us.

Atrius finds something he can work with. Atrius, convincingly

ATRIUS

You did not give my daughter a chance. You are bonded body and soul, but you stopped at heart. Don't you see what you doing to her? Offer her everything except the one thing she desires most. Gabrielle, Xena told me she lives in personal Tartarus, from which not even death cannot release her. It tears my heart to see her suffer. And from what I gather, you enjoy your little games. I notice you are avoiding Rhea, your latest conquest.

Gabrielle laughs, surprising him. She stops and grabs him by the front of the armor, bringing him face to face with her. Atrius played with fire and the blaze consumes him as her eyes lock him down and trap him in place. The rest of the group halts and waits; small smile flickers on Xena's lips. She guesses Atrius did not follow her advice.

Gabrielle, smiling wolfishly

GABRIELLE

Not bad for an amateur. You had the guilt trip going until you threw in those last shots. Your feelings are not sincere and now you are an open book. Try to lie or play games and I will cut you.

Atrius, admiring

ATRIUS

The mind and will that captured Xena. Nicely met, Gabrielle.

Gabrielle, evenly

GABRIELLE

Xena's commitment is weaker; mine is absolute.

ATRIUS

Allow me to observe that your futures diverge. You are destined for Olympus, immortal consort to Athena. Or a mortal elevated in station, given wealth and blessings to match your status. That leaves Xena out.

GABRIELLE

Not buying. Our bond is eternal, Athena implied that. The Fates hold the threads of Gods and mortals and this is stronger than them. My dream of the bond breaking is over. Athena is devoted to our future with an understanding that Xena is part of it. I don't know in what form or way, but your daughter and I are one till the end of time.

Atrius, genuinely sorry

ATRIUS

Cruel fate.

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

Life is shaped by our hands, clay on the potter's wheel. You daughter is loved and part of my family. She will accept it in time and be happy.

Atrius, pleading tearfully

ATRIUS

Let her go.

GABRIELLE

You cannot break us apart. Accept it. We are heading for Amphipolis and plan to stay the winter. Xena did not question the return location from Troy but she suspects the reason. She is going home. With you.

Atrius, losing the fight, uncertain

ATRIUS

Home …

Pause.

Atrius, starting to lose it, tears flowing down his face

ATRIUS

You can give me that?

GABRIELLE

I am. Say yes.

Atrius is lost in her eyes, larger than they have a right to be, even this close. The feeling of losing his will intensifies. Gabrielle smile lights up her face and she becomes his entire universe. Sobbing, he surrenders to her open arms and embraces her.

Atrius, believing

ATRIUS

Yes.

Gabrielle looks back at Xena across the forest and gives her a small nod. Xena shakes her head in amazement as the VILLAGE GIRLS chatter among themselves.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDRENESS – FOREST – LATE AFTERNOON

Xena guards the rear, VILLAGE GIRLS are ahead of her, then Atrius, and last, or first, Gabrielle heads the human snake.

Rhea holds back all day, the light stepping vision up front occupying her mind constantly. Unable to help herself, she finally gives in to her desires; she breaks from the VILLAGE GIRLS and joins Gabrielle at her side. Rhea shyly offers her hand and Gabrielle takes it, swinging their combined arms back and forth a few times, surprising Rhea with her strength. Gabrielle laughs with pure joy and Rhea joins happily.

Gabrielle, teasing

GABRIELLE

Rhea, you sweet thing, you holding out on me?

Rhea, confused yet pleased

RHEA

What are the rules?

Gabrielle takes a lingering glance of Rhea's side profile, from her feet to her face. Rhea blushes under the scrutiny and squaring her shoulders, she pushes her chest up and out. Gabrielle eyes come back down for a second, longer look.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Look but don't touch.

Rhea looks down at their joined hands and asks a silent question.

GABRIELLE

The life I save is yours.

Rhea, puzzled

RHEA

Huh?

Gabrielle guides her away from tree on a collision course with Rhea.

Gabrielle, innocently

GABRIELLE

You are walking into trees my dear. Next thing you know it is raining squirrels and they are vicious when provoked. Can't have you nibbled to death.

Rhea giggles and Gabrielle pulls her arm down, sending Rhea towards her and bringing their shoulders together. In quick motion Gabrielle takes a light bite of Rhea's arm.

GABRIELLE

Nibble.

Rhea squeals and jumps away, without breaking contact.

Rhea, giggling again

RHEA

You are fun. Are you telling tales tonight?

Gabrielle pulls Rhea close again and then bumps her away with her hip.

Gabrielle, grinning wickedly

GABRIELLE

Why Rhea, what would we do in a bedroll except tell stories.

Rhea turns brick red.

Rhea, hastily

RHEA

At campfire, after dinner.

GABRIELLE

Those too.

Rhea, concerned

RHEA

What changed? You were not like this before.

GABRIELLE

Feeling playful. You mind?

Rhea, blurts out happily

RHEA

I am yours.

Rhea realizes what she just said and nearly goes down. Gabrielle catches her and sets her right. Rhea's hand is released and a toned arm goes around Rhea's shoulder and draws her closer with ease. Rhea instinctively presses into the contact. Back at the tail of the snake, Xena walks into a tree.

GABRIELLE

Safe?

Rhea, contently

RHEA

Very.

GABRIELLE

I sing of Minos, King of Crete …

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDRENESS – FOREST – EARLY EVENING

Xena is nursing a scrape on her forehead courtesy of killer tree. At least she pretends it was. Better than the alternative. Atrius drops back and they walk together.

ATRIUS

Nice bruise. Problem?

XENA

You are not paying attention.

Atrius, apologetically

ATRIUS

Sorry, mind is gone. Gabrielle packs a mean punch.

Xena points with her arm at Gabrielle and Rhea body merge.

Atrius, whistling

ATRIUS

That's trouble. Why did you not stop it?

He makes a move towards the front only to be stopped by Xena.

XENA

It is not what it appears.

ATRIUS

I am a father and all for life's lessons but this is one lesson we are not going to survive. Hello, wrath of Goddess? Xena, I like my life. In fact, it is improving by the minute. You grab Gabrielle and dump her in the nearest body of water to extinguish that ardor. I will take Rhea aside and explain the perils of adultery.

XENA

Trust me, you would make a fine parent. If I fell in love with the wrong boy and we run off together and I came back pregnant months later, you are the father I would want at my side. After you chased down and killed the boy of course.

ATRIUS

Not funny. Xena, they are touching!

XENA

I did not think she would take it to the point I walked into a tree.

Atrius, resigned

ATRIUS

Tornado Gabrielle strikes again I gather. What's going on?

XENA

Gabrielle told, Athena got jealous, and it made her attentive.

ATRIOUS

What?

XENA

Very attentive. It added spice.

Atrius, uncomfortable

ATRIUS

Whoa, too much information.

Pause.

Atrius, curious

ATRIUS

Are there any secrets between you two?

XENA

Father, piece of advice. Unless you are absolutely sure you want to hear the answer, be very careful what you ask Gabrielle. People tell lies in different flavors and magnitudes. Not her. Aside from few things, she is completely and utterly honest. The rest is partial truth, doled and parceled out as needed. Plus she has the uncanny ability to find your weak spot and exploit it. Tread carefully.

ATRIUS

I found that out the hard way. I woke up with wagon tracks on my chest just now; did not even see what hit me. Figured I should talk to you. I think me and Gabrielle are okay.

XENA

She approves.

Atrius, joking

ATRIUS

Speaking of young hearts, does that mean I don't have to do the birds and bees talk with you?

XENA

That horse left the barn. Twice.

ATRIUS

Twice? Who were the lucky souls?

Xena, shyly

XENA

Mother and Aphrodite.

ATRIUS

I am sure the second was more show than tell.

XENA

Father!

ATRIUS

No scoundrel like an old scoundrel.

He looks at her as they continue walking.

ATRIUS

You have barrels of conquest stories out there, daughter. If even half are true … Gods, don't mind me, what about your poor mother?

XENA

Wishful dreams all.

ATRIUS

That's a relief. No father should hear that about their daughter from strangers. It hurt, it really did. Sitting there hearing their lurid tales and claims of prowess with you and unable to utter a word in defense. If anyone found me out, I was bait at best and dead man for sure.

Xena, confessing

XENA

I was selfish and controlling. Gabrielle lived a different life, completely opposite from mine. She took my heart with one look. She became my champion with one word. The months since we met are the best of my life.

Atrius, quietly

ATRIUS

Are you happy, daughter?

Xena, instantly

XENA

Yes.

ATRIUS

Promise me something.

XENA

…

Atrius, voice tinged with regret and deep pain

ATRIUS

I was wrong. Don't make the same mistake I did. Don't leave her.

Xena stops walking and hugs him. They feel the connection reestablish itself, old wounds healing. It is a small thing, but as with all life, things start small and then grow and bloom. Such is the way of nature. Xena and Atrius repair the bond between father and daughter; separated by years and bad choices, united by trust in each other and by Gabrielle. Such is the faith in others rewarded.

Xena, trembling

XENA

I promise.

FADE OUT:

TO BE CONTINUED

END OF PART ONE

 

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page