Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Remember Nothing ”

Episode 31, Part 1

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. FATES' TEMPLE – LOOM ROOM – TIME UNKNOWN

One moment she is on the temple steps and the next Xena is on the floor inside. She checks her injuries and finds none. The absence extends to her armor and weapons. She stands up and immediately knows where she is. This is not the afterlife; she is with the Fates. Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos stare at her kindly from their positions around the massive loom. What catches Xena's eyes is Atropos holding in her hand what appears to be three intertwined threads, two black and the remaining one gold. There are many, many others, in various shades of grey and attachment but it appears to be the only set of yarn spun together and so distinctive. If her line is not cut and tied to Gabrielle and Athena … she is still alive; for now. Xena clamps down on her body's reaction. She pretends not to notice her discovery and instead focuses on the other women. Xena raises her eyebrow in silent question.

CLOTHO

You are here before your time.

LACHESIS

Now there is a choice to be made.

ATROPOS

There is no going back and yet there is the past.

CLOTHO

You can have what was lost.

LACHESIS

Will you pay the price?

ATROPOS

No life can you take.

CLOTHO, LACHESIS, ATROPOS

We offer you family, happiness and love.

CLOTHO

Everything you lost is yours again.

LACHESIS

Remember the warning and weigh the scales.

ATROPOS

For as easily given, the dream is lost.

CLOTHO, LACHESIS, ATROPOS

Xena, Warrior Princess, speak your choice.

Xena, confused, focuses on the only thing she cares about

XENA

What happens to Gabrielle?

CLOTHO

The greater good has a champion.

LACHESIS

Heavy is the head that wears a crown.

ATROPOS

Peace and prosperity come to Thrace.

Xena, liking this future, enthusiastically

XENA

Bard is royalty? I can work with that. She still likes women?

CLOTHO

Gabrielle loves those like herself.

Xena, rubbing her hands, happily

XENA

I am there. Send me to her.

LACHESIS

Beware, take a life, lose everything.

Xena, affectionately

XENA

Gabrielle, my bard, this time I will do it right and we will be together in this life and beyond.

ATROPOS

New threads are spun and the future woven. Go with our blessings, Xena of Amphipolis.

CUTO TO:

INT. BODY OF WATER – SUSPENDED IN LIQUID – TIME UNKNOWN

Xena floats in water without feeling wet or lacking breath. It is a strange feeling, suspended in the middle of nothing, her senses unable to orient her or provide feedback to her surroundings. There is a sensation of motion, up or down she can't tell and then the physical reality reasserts itself.

CUT TO:

INT. XENA'S HOUSE – MASTER BEDROOM – SPRING/LATE AFTERNOON

Xena is laying on something soft, smelling the sunshine and fresh linen. A bed, she guesses. There is something wrong with her body. Xena's back is aching, her ankles and feel are swollen and her … oh Gods!

She opens her eyes in alarm and lifts the sheets. Starring right at her is her own pregnant belly, bulging under the sleep shirt and announcing to the world that Xena is two to three months from popping her oven.

Xena, perplexed

XENA

That was not there before.

She senses life next to her and she turns her head. Sleeping peacefully on her right are TWIN GIRLS, about two years old.

XENA

Where are all these children coming from?

An answer comes in form of her newest addition waking up and saying hello with a few kicks. She places both hands on the swollen belly and just lets the emotions flow over her. She feels the life inside with a sense of wonder and a touch of dread. Her sharp hearing picks up four additional voices behind the door, none of them adult. She turns her head to the other side and there is a three year old BOY sleeping on her other side. She is not even surprised anymore. There is probably another under the bed and at least one each in cabinets and chests, she thinks.

Xena, whispering growlingly

XENA

Where am I, why am I pregnant and just how many of you little bastards are there? Whoever is responsible for this is going to die in creative and prolonged ways.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. POTIDAEA – VILLAGE SQUARE – 4 YEARS AGO/SPRING/MORNING

The VILLAGE ELDER and several VILLAGERS are facing seven mounted horsemen. Cortese and his lieutenant Malik are escorted by five THUGS. It has been a long while since last raid and it is time for another show of force. Cortese moves his horse forward and kicks the VILLAGE ELDER, sending him flopping on the muddy ground. Cortese is not here to talk and the faster the peasants understand this, the better for them. He and his men laugh heartily at the plight of the older man struggling to his feet. Cortese kicks him again, stopping him from standing up; the merriment behind continues unabated.

Cortese, getting serious, loudly and threateningly

CORTESE

This is my village and …

The arrow takes him thru the chest, bronze armor no match for the steel arrowhead. The cold metal ravages his heart and stops it, sending him down to the very earth he cast down the VILLAGE ELDER upon.

Malik follows him; the look in his good eye is one of surprise as his other is occupied by the wooden shaft which impacts the orb mere three seconds after the first shot.

The THUGS are not trained soldiers, low-end mercenaries and bandits all. It takes two bodies before they react and locate the archer. The VILLAGERS turn and see Gabe as well.

He is standing on the roof, bow in hand and he does not seem mortal. He is a God etched in the blue of the sky and dark of the roof. And he is harvesting for Hades.

One THUG draws a bow but he is not fast enough. It slips thru his abruptly unresponsive fingers and hits the ground before he does. The rest of THUGS spur their horses and ride to the house. They jump on the roof, drawing swords.

The bow drops and metal flashes in the sunlight. THUGS' bodies roll off the roof, throwing knives sending them to Charon. The whole thing happens in the blink of an eye and then only one THUG remains as Gabe picks two more blades from his boots. The THUG knows this is the end of him, he can't cross the distance fast enough or dodge the blades. The THUG throws his sword away and kneels.

THUG, begging

THUG

Mercy.

A flick of a wrist and his throat is pierced. He brings his trembling hands up and tentatively feels the object that marks the end of him.

Gabe walks up to the THUG and placing a foot on his chest, pushes him off the roof.

Gabe, to THUG, regretfully and sadly

GABE

I'm sorry.

Stunned crowd of VILLAGERS creeps close and looks up to him and the bodies at their feet. Their Gabe just took out seven armed men without them managing a single hit on him. The euphoric sense of victory is soon replaced by the cold realization that someone will come looking for the missing men.

Gabe, coldly, into the silence

GABE

Others live, we have work to do. Call a council meeting at noon. Cut their heads and set them on poles lining the road outside the town.

Gabe drops from the roof and retrieves his knives. He walks away and his name follows him.

VILLAGERS, cheering loudly

VILLAGERS

Gabe! Gabe! Gabe! Gabe! Gabe!

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – FAMILY CEMENTARY – 4 YEARS AGO/SPRING/MIDMORNING

Gabe walks to the edge of his family's land where a small plot has a different purpose. His parents rest together and next to them is his sister Lila. Stone markers hold the dear names and cold dirt holds their earthly remains.

Gabe, sitting down, tearfully

GABE

It begins.

CUT TO:

INT. XENA'S HOUSE – MASTER BEDROOM – PRESENT/LATE AFTERNOON

Xena takes another look at the children around her and decides she can't get out without waking some of them up. Mind made up, she gently picks up the BOY and slides out of bed on that side. Of course, he wakes up and then the TWIN GIRLS. She sits back on the bed, holding the BOY in her lap as the TWIN GIRLS sleepily make their way to her and cuddle fiercely. Now she has three children hanging on to her, trapping her.

Xena, mumbling unhappily

XENA

Defied death and escaped the impossible only to be defeated by three small children.

Xena disengages herself and stands up, ruffling the BOY's hair. She takes a TWIN GIRL in each arm and makes her way to the door. The boy follows behind her, holding on to her tunic.

Xena, to BOY, encouragingly

XENA

Open the door, son.

The BOY nods eagerly, releases her, goes to the door and opens it shortly with concentrated effort. He runs back behind her, shyly hiding again. As she suspected by the noise, four OLDER GIRLS are in the next room, quietly talking around a large table. The OLDER GIRLS are eleven, nine, eight and six. They are busy sewing and embroidering on the flat surface, in what apparently is the dining room of this house. The OLDEST GIRL stands up and addresses Xena.

OLDEST GIRL, respectfully but with a hint of challenge to her tone

OLDEST GIRL

Mother, did you have a good rest?

Xena, knowing she is being tested, authoritatively

XENA

You in charge?

OLDEST GIRL, backing down, submissive yet defiant

OLDEST GIRL

Yes, mother.

XENA

You seem like a smart girl. What are the names of your sisters and brother?

OLDEST GIRL, not sure what game is this, uncertain

OLDEST GIRL

Are you okay, mother?

Xena, grumpily

XENA

Mother is tired and cranky. Answer the question before I put you in charge of something outdoorsy and messy.

The OLDER GIRLS all giggle and the OLDEST GIRL shoots them a stern look that is exactly like Xena's. She is her mother's daughter, smaller version writ exact.

OLDEST GIRL, showing off

OLDEST GIRL

You are holding Chloe and Charis; no one can tell them apart, except you. The little chicken behind you is Solan. In order of youngest to oldest are shy Apollonia, talkative Artemisia, and rambunctious Aphrodisia. I am, of course, your dutiful and hardworking daughter, Alexandra. Are you pleased?

XENA

Take care of the twins and Solan. I am going to the temple.

Alexandra, innocently

ALEXANDRA

Should I bring the children to the inn this evening, mother?

Xena misses the glints of mischief in those eyes, so like hers.

Xena, distracted, offhandedly

XENA

Sure, you do that.

ALEXANDRA

Yes, mother.

Alexandra motions with her head to the other OLDER GIRLS and two of them stand up and join her, coming over to take the twins from Xena's arms. Alexandra closes in on Solan with a predatory smile and picks him up. He does not look happy and starts crying. To the amazement of the children, Xena ignores him and the rest of them and goes straight to the door.

Xena, pleased, under her breath

XENA

Wow, I am running this place like an army. No lip, orders are followed, and initiative is the order of the day. Who knew?

Xena walks out without giving them a second glance.

Alexandra sets Solan on the chair and conspiratorial grins are exchanged. Apollonia and Artemisia head for their bedroom, laughing.

Alexandra, cooing

ALEXANDRA

Shh Solana, don't cry, we are going to make you very pretty.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – TEMPLE – EARLY EVENING

Xena enters the quiet, oil lamp lit interior and heads for the altar of Ares, strangely in place of prominence in the middle. She picks a sword and hefts it experimentally. Her body is in great shape but the muscles are not developed for fighting. This is not her finely tuned instrument; this is a body of a hardworking peasant housewife. It will do, for now, she thinks. She practices for a spell, adjusting to her condition quickly. She hears a shuffle of feet and a nervous cough behind her. The old priest, no doubt.

Xena, evenly

XENA

Hello Diokles.

Diokles, uneasily eyeing the sword and the altar

DIOKLES

Hello Xena, shouldn't you be praying to Hera?

Xena, tired of the fool, grinning

XENA

Actually, I was thinking of human sacrifice for Ares. Care to help?

She snaps the blade in his direction and few grey hairs drift down to the ground. Diokles makes a strangled noise and runs from the temple in panic, Xena's laugh chasing him. He holds the hand to his neck, blood seeping between his fingers. Xena draws a mustache on Ares' statue with the blood from the sword. Gods don't visit ordinary mortals and speak thru priests; exceptions are rare. She hopes her Chosen status gives her a connection to the God of War.

Xena, cheerfully

XENA

Ares, I am consecrating your temple statue with innocent blood. Care to hear my proposal?

Ares makes a grand entrance, arriving on a large throne with a sound of war horns echoing in the open space.

Ares, not even looking at Xena, pompously

ARES

Do you wish to become my vessel?

Xena, patting her pregnant self, joking

XENA

Sorry, no room.

Ares, standing up and approaching her, studying Xena, intrigued

XENA

Why are you not prostrating?

Xena, wryly

XENA

In case you have not noticed I have weight problems of the expecting kind. There will be no prostrating today. In fact, there is no prostrating ever. Get over yourself.

Ares, eyes flashing, hand dropping to the sword pommel and twitching there, growling

ARES

Careful mortal.

XENA

Ares, your hold does not work on me.

This catches him by surprise; it is not something a peasant would know or as a matter of fact, any ordinary mortal. Xena now has his full attention.

XENA

Where is Gabrielle?

Ares, thrown by the change of subject, confused

ARES

Who?

Xena, explaining patiently, knowing Ares keeps an eye on royalty

XENA

Gabrielle the bard; Athena's wife and Chosen.

Ares, now completely lost, incredulous

ARES

Athena Parthenos?! The ice Goddess herself? Her heart is stone and so are her woman parts. Trust me, no one explored that body, not even its owner.

Ares runs thru a list of names in his head, his forehead narrowing in thought.

Ares, recalling a name and a face, guessing

ARES

I do know of Gabe, King of Thrace. Formerly Gabrielle, master archer, and always pain in the ass.

Xena, laughing

XENA

That's the bard I know.

Ares, impressed and already calculating how to use this to his advantage, thoughtfully

ARES

Cortese was the first head he put on the pike and far from last. There are no warlords left in Thrace and none are eager to visit. Bandits and illegal slavers get the crucifixion treatment. He picked that from the Romans; real piece of work that one. He conquers Thrace and then signs peace and mutual defense treaties with the other poleis. He could have had all of Greece! I offered him the world and he sued for peace. From a position of power no less!

Xena, wondering what happened to Gabrielle in her youth, puzzled

XENA

What is with that woman and masculinity? Really? Gabe again?

Ares, shaking his head

ARES

She became a he. Oh, not physically, but mentally she considers herself a man; too twisted even for my appetite. He is true warrior, born for battle, all fire and passion, backed by an incredible mind and steel will. He was my finest student.

Pause.

Ares, wistfully

ARES

The light that made him so strong is what prevented him from becoming completely mine. That and the gender change.

Xena, curious

XENA

How did she become Gabe?

ARES

Assembled an army, dedicated it to God of War, the usual. Two things stood out. He was fourteen when he singlehandedly killed Cortese and six of his men, including his second in command. I know talent and he was it. Second, prior to the battle of Amphipolis he pretended to be my Chosen and I was so impressed I joined him. We fought together, an honor I bestowed on very few in the entirety of my existence. That day we affirmed Gabe would take Thrace and Gabrielle would remain dead forever.

Ares circles Xena, looking beyond the obvious, seeing the warrior under the body of housewife.

Ares, shrewdly

ARES

You are no farmer's wife. Who are you?

XENA

I am Xena, your ex-Chosen.

ARES

How did you earn the ex?

Xena, smartly

XENA

I don't share and I have control issues.

Ares, grinning

ARES

Your swollen womb says otherwise.

XENA

There is that.

Ares, coming to stop, after considering the developments carefully, pleased

ARES

Yes, you are perfect.

Xena, knowing him and how he thinks, concerned

XENA

Ares, what are you planning?

Ares, informationally

ARES

Gabe becomes a true man on his nineteenth birthday and the price is Thessaly.

Xena, frowning

XENA

Why tell me this?

Ares, smiling

ARES

Gabe needs a proper queen. There is darkness in you, anger and hate. Delicious. You were indeed my Chosen and I care not how or when. Xena, would you like to have it all? That is your purpose here, right?

XENA

How?

Ares, coldly calculating in his schemes, offering Xena the world

ARES

When Teresia dies you will be there to take her place and guide Gabe to immortality.

At the mention of the name Xena's hands clench into fists. She is past sharing her bard.

Xena, bargaining hard, determined

XENA

I want Gabrielle, that's my price.

ARES

What makes you think of success where his wife and a God failed?

Xena, smiling

XENA

I have many skills.

Ares, nodding

ARES

Gabe will pass here in the fall. Get yourself in fighting shape and wait for him. Whatever happens, you will join and rule together, man or woman he might be.

Xena, accepting, extending an arm

XENA

Agreed.

Ares, sealing the deal with forearm handshake, happy

ARES

Welcome back, Chosen.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. XENA'S HOUSE – MASTER BEDROOM – NIGHT

Xena lies in bed, sheets pulled to her chest. She went straight to the bedroom after returning from the temple and spent the time thinking things over. She hears the children returning from the inn, a cacophony of pitched voices, excited and lively. Fighting bravely in the storm is the sound of an older, male voice, patiently making small progress, thou it takes a while to calm the forces unleashed. She recognizes him, not a young boy she remembers him, but grown up – Sophus, her now husband. After the last of the noise dies down the door opens and her guess is proven right. He enters.

Sophus, barefoot and down to trousers, warmly

SOPHUS

Glow for me, my beautiful.

Xena, neutrally

XENA

Hello husband.

Troubled, Sophus walks the wash basin and washes quickly; he dries energetically when done. Xena studies his naked, muscular torso with interest. Finished, Sophus puts on a clean tunic and drops the trousers on the floor. He slowly walks to the bed on Xena's side and leans down to kiss her. She moves her face away. Sophus lingers and then smiles sadly and goes to the end of the bed. He lifts the sheets, exposing her bare legs as Xena hikes an eyebrow in question. He smiles reassuringly and kneeling, begins to massage her feet. Xena purrs her appreciation, the gesture very welcome.

XENA

Mmmm … don't stop.

Sophus, catching Xena by surprise, thou it is not entirely unexpected, sadly

SOPHUS

You look like her, you smell like her and your voice is the same, but you are not my Xena. Who are you?

XENA

When did you first suspect?

Sophus, bittersweet

SOPHUS

Alexandra told me you behaved strangely and asked for the children's names before going to temple. You scared old Diokles into senseless babbling with fancy swordsmanship and left him marked on the neck. Tellingly, you left me alone with the horde at bedtime, a cruel thing to inflict on your devoted husband, my lovely doppelganger. You don't sit like my wife, you don't talk like her, and there is little love in your eyes or warmth in your voice for me. You are a stranger who mocks me with an illusion of my love.

Xena, quietly and apologetically

XENA

I'm sorry. Tell me about your Xena.

Sophus, affectionately

SOPHUS

Xena is my best friend and the love of my life. She runs the house with firm yet caring hand. She is the perfect mother and lover. I feel blessed by the Gods anew every time that I gaze upon you … her.

Pause.

Sophus, taking a measure of her and finding her willing, grinning

SOPHUS

The twins like to be cuddled and played with when they wake up from a nap. Solan is a mama's boy and the girls tease him mercilessly. You left him in their clutches without a stern warning and they took advantage.

Xena, signaling openness to the idea by closing her eyes and playing along, groaning

XENA

Oh no.

SOPHUS

Oh yes. Our son had braids, ribbons, jewelry, makeup, perfume and a dress. They run in a pack and they are ruthless. Boys and young men don't mess with our girls. Gods know I can't handle them; you are the only one they listen to. Xena, they are worse than a war party – don't let your guard down around them.

Xena, opening her twinkling eyes, proudly

XENA

My daughters take after me? To quote Gabrielle: woo hoo.

Sophus, sighing

SOPHUS

You just wait till we have to find them husbands. Fearless and manly men run away screaming in terror at the mere mention of Alexandria's name. You remember what they did to us last Solstice? I still have nightmares and so does half the town. Some fellows will no longer touch mead.

XENA

Remember, other Xena. What happened?

SOPHUS

Sorry. They broke into your mother's cellar and spiked the mead with henbane. I thought it was inspired but evil.

Xena, smiling

XENA

Admit it husband: it was the best Solstice ever.

Sophus, grumbling yet unable to hide his fondness for the girls

SOPHUS

Banshees, the lot of them and don't you go encouraging them. Who is Gabrielle?

Xena, lovingly

XENA

She is King Gabe of Thrace, the other half of my soul.

Sophus, pointedly, leaving the implication trailing

SOPHUS

King Gabe is a man …

XENA

Wrong, she is a woman. Well, for now, give it a year and Ares and she will gain some new equipment downstairs; lose upstairs too. Shame about that last, she has a nice pair.

Sophus, lost completely

SOPHUS

Huh?!

Xena, honestly

XENA

I am in love with Gabrielle who is pretending to be a man. Or thinks she is one. Incidentally, I would be remiss not to mention that in my past she was married to Athena.

Sophus, unable to wrap his mind around the idea of interacting with Gods, painfully

SOPHUS

My head hurts. Where is my wife?

Xena, coming clean but leaving Ares' part out of it, gently

XENA

Look Sophus, I had a crush on you when I was young and you were the first boy to kiss me. Good times. Then I developed some issues, lost my mind and killed a few people. All right, a whole lot of people. Honestly, I lost count but that is not important. Let's just say I was Ares' Chosen. I found my way back, fell in love with Gabrielle and died. I think. The Fates put me in this body. The end.

Sophus passes out on the bed.

Xena, triumphantly, to the air

XENA

Take that Gabrielle, you smug bard! I like to see you beat my dramatic effect; no one passes out during your stories from sheer emotion. I win.

Pause.

Xena, poking Sophus with her foot, miffed that the attention has stopped

XENA

Wake up husband dear. We got arrangements to make, you a wife to pamper.

Sophus comes to and sits back on the bed, trying to make sense of this.

Sophus, petulantly

SOPHUS

I want my wife back!

Xena, reasonable yet firm

XENA

Sorry, not happening, you are stuck with me. Accept and move on.

Pause.

Xena, taking charge, softening her tone to make the medicine go down easier

XENA

Here is the plan. We sleep in the same bed, just don't get any ideas. Eight is a great number to stop at. Actually, three would be even better, so you pushed your luck five times. And we just met. Husband, when this last one pops out, you will be there to share the pain with me. Don't try to weasel out of it, I was a warlord and we are not the forgiving kind.

Sophus, fight leaving him, resignedly accepting his fate, weakly

SOPHUS

Zeus have mercy.

Sophus acknowledges his acquiescence by starting the massage again, this time on Xena's ankles.

XENA

I raise your children, do that mother stuff. I run this household and you stay out of my way. What's your job?

SOPHUS

Run the stables and handiwork for the inn. Work the fields and day labor for extra drachma.

XENA

What's my schedule?

Sophus, relieved and assured by her stated participation, perking up

SOPHUS

You sleep in and the three youngest ones crawl in after I leave at dawn. The older ones do the chores and you inspect them then go over to the inn. Our and your brothers' families eat their daily meals there. Toris has four and Lyceus has five. I will introduce them later. You and our daughters clean the rooms and help in the kitchen. Cyrene plans to turn the inn over to us. You come back in the afternoon and take a nap. After dinner we return here and put the children to bed.

Pause.

Sophus, testing Xena, flirting

SOPHUS

Then we make more.

Xena, teasing

XENA

Every night?

Sophus, with a straight face

SOPHUS

My Xena is very … amorous.

Xena, smiling her approval

XENA

I second your Xena's lifestyle except for the part where I have to push the little snots out, every so often. I cook?

Sophus, laying on the charm

SOPHUS

It is no exaggeration that I married you for your food.

Xena, ironically

XENA

Boy, are you going to be surprised. And sickened.

SOPHUS

Why?

Xena, laughing

XENA

I can't cook. Some of the people that I have on my conscience died due to my cooking.

SOPHUS

Oh. OH. Wow, that's a disappointment.

Pause.

SOPHUS

I will have a talk with Cyrene. I think you should stay out of the kitchen for now.

Xena, grinning

XENA

Wise decision.

SOPHUS

If you don't mind asking, who prepared your food? Before, I mean.

Xena, fondly

XENA

Gabrielle hunted and took care of meals.

Sophus, hesitantly

SOPHUS

You really loved her?

Xena, shadows passing on face and crossing her eyes, wistfully

XENA

Still do. Problem is, I have a different life now and so does she.

Sophus, afraid to ask, hesitantly

SOPHUS

… You are staying with us? For how long?

Xena, deciding

XENA

Sophus, I am going to give this, us, a chance. Do you want me to?

Sophus, jumping on it, promising eagerly

SOPHUS

Gods, yes! If I lose you, then I lose her. If you give us a chance, I will be with you every step of the way.

Xena, warning

XENA

I can't promise anything.

Sophus, hopefully

SOPHUS

You … my Xena fell in love with me once, I pray to Gods you will too.

XENA

Those great massages part of the deal?

SOPHUS

That and more, yours without asking.

Xena, coyly

XENA

Well husband, I know it is forward of me, what with us knowing each other less than an hour, but if you would move those amazing hands of yours to my back, I think we can platonically share a bed on our first date.

SOPHUS

It will be my honor.

Xena shifts gingerly and lies on her side, adjusting pillows for comfort. With Sophus' assistance, she works the tunic lose, pulling it up and over her pregnant belly, leaving her in underwraps. Her husband is very attending and caring during the entire process, no doubt practiced often. In no time Xena is situated and ready for more attention.

XENA

Less talk, more action.

Sophus laughs and fitting familiarly behind her, starts to knead sore muscles. Xena leans back into him and uses him as a support as he works the kinks out of her back. She closes her eyes with a sigh of relief and then continues the verbal, appreciative feedback as they fall, without her even knowing it, into intimate routine. Sophus kisses and nibbles Xena's shoulder, working his way sensually towards her neck. Aroused, she tilts her head and grants more access. To her disappointment, he catches himself, stopping his advances.

Xena, unable and unwilling to hide her response, opening her eyes, amused

XENA

Taking advantage of me, husband?

Sophus, confident after her body's familiar reaction to his touch, playfully

SOPHUS

Wouldn't dream of it.

XENA

Good, keep it to hands only.

Sophus, affecting chastised

SOPHUS

Yes dear.

Xena, truthfully

XENA

Sophus, in the past I lost my father and Lyceus and the only person left in Greece who did not hate me was a Gabrielle. This is the first time in my life I have a spouse, children, family and a place I belong. If this is a dream then I wish to sleep forever. Don't wake me.

Sophus, drawing his courage, shakily

SOPHUS

Xena?

Xena, looking over shoulder into his eyes, warmly

XENA

Yes?

Sophus, honestly and lovingly

SOPHUS

My Xena is not gone, she is lost in you. I can give you her memories and we can make new ones. You are more like her than you realize. I love you Xena.

Xena, tears falling down her face, sounding surprised by she is saying and to whom

XENA

I think I like that. I will need time.

Sophus tenderly brushes the tears away with his hand and then closing his eyes leans forward leading with his lips. He stops small distance away from Xena's face.

Sophus, sincerely and affectionately, promising

SOPHUS

Anything, my beautiful.

Sophus holds his breath.

Xena stares for a moment then closes her eyes and meets him. They kiss, a gentle touch, hesitant and timid, just like their first one a lifetime ago. The bodies are practiced, the minds shy.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. POTIDAEA – FAMILY CEMENTARY – 4 YEARS AGO/SPRING/MIDMORNING

Gabe stands in front of the graves with his head bowed.

Gabe, tearfully

GABE

Father, mother, beloved daughter, I want you to know I am not doing this for vengeance. There is no hate in my heart, only emptiness. Cortese and his ilk infest the countryside and they need to be put to the sword. It started with him today and it will be a while before it is over. Challenge was thrown and they will answer in numbers. Now I find myself a reluctant hero from the stories and scrolls I love so much. Except it is different and this is no tale. It is time for me to put away childish dreams and live in the real world. I spent half my life training to fight and today put into practice the craft I honed. Dear kin, I failed to protect you then. No more. Not another village, not another family, not another life. It tears my heart and crushes my soul to spill blood. Still, I pay the price. If the cost of greater good is my damnation, then it is the sacrifice I make willingly. War is coming to Thrace and I am the hand that wields the torch that will burn the region. I do this for you, father. I do this for you, mother. I do this for you, Lila. I do this for the weak and innocent. I serve justice.

Gabe takes out a sharp dagger and with an unsteady hand brings it to his face. Squaring his shoulders and settling his nerves, he gathers a handful of hair and takes a deep breath. Then in a quick, decisive motion he cuts it and it gets easier. Blonde hair pools under his feet. The young woman fades with each slice of the blade until only Gabe is left. Gabrielle is dead.

CUT TO:

INT. POTIDAEA – GABE'S HOUSE – 4 YEARS AGO/SPRING/LATE MORNING

Gabe enters what used to be his parents' bedroom. Now full of hunting trophies and weapons, it is his. He walks to the chest against a wall and opens it. He stares at the contents for the moment then reaches in. The die is cast.

CUT TO:

INT. POTIDAEA – INN – 4 YEARS AGO/SPRING/NOON

The oldest VILLAGERS are gathered around a table. They are arguing in a low, but angry voices. Gabe's actions sealed the fate of Potidaea – either they kill the bandits or the village will die in retribution. The younger male VILLAGERS sit at the other tables and enjoy a break from work and a cup of mead. Alcaeus and Galenos enter and all heads turn toward them as silence falls. They take positions around the door and Gabe steps in. Collective gasp goes out.

Gabe is wearing bronze armor and helmet, his chest marked with a spear. This is no mere display, this is an announcement. Gabe is Ares' Chosen, the spirit of the God of War given substance. All doubt fades and the discussion is over. The VILLAGERS stand up and kneel before him as one.

Gabe, commanding

GABE

Send the runners to the nearby villagers. Assemble outside town, we march in a week. Ares blessed our cause.

VILLAGERS

Will of the Gods.

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – GABE'S HOUSE – 4 YEARS AGO/SPRING/AFTERNOON

Gabe enters the courtyard and heads for his bedroom. Ares pops into existence in front of him and takes in the armor. He is wearing his customary black studded armor. His lip curls.

Ares, sneering

ARES

Gabrielle.

Gabe, defiantly staring him in the face, hand moving to the sword

GABE

Gabe.

Ares throws back his head and laughs.

Ares, clapping

ARES

Gabe, Gabe. You have big brass ones and I am not talking armor. Chosen?

Gabe, challenging

GABE

Position taken?

ARES

It is now. Key word is “taken”; the God of War does not give. You are one of the very few that understands that.

Pause.

ARES

You want to earn armor and weapons due your position?

Gabe, sharply

GABE

Not on my back.

ARES

With your sword arm, Chosen. I want Thrace.

Gabe, grinning

GABE

Then I will take it for you.

Ares, pleased

ARES

Smart and loyal, the two attributes I admire.

Gabe, raising a hand, starting to understand how Ares thinks, pushing things

GABE

Two conditions.

Ares, chuckling

ARES

Gabe, you lunatic, you continue to surprise me. Name them.

GABE

I want training and the honor to fight alongside you in my first battle.

Ares, rewarding magnanimously, throwing a test at the end

ARES

You just earned your due equipment. We will start your training here in half an hour. Wear a tunic and expect a beating. I don't tolerate weakness.

Faster than an eye can see a throwing knife flies and strikes Ares in his sword arm.

Gabe, going for broke, locking eyes, starting a battle of wills

GABE

I am not your average fighter. That's for insulting me.

Ares is stunned as he pulls the blade out and feels the blood trickling down. He can't figure out this woman … man in front of him. The fire and the intelligence shining in the eyes, the stocky and muscular body, and the will beating in the heart – Ares is perplexed by this human puzzle. There is also something else, something about Gabe's eyes that bore into his. More than the gift; enough to make even the God hesitate in his wrath.

Ares shakes his thoughts and steps forward extending his hand. They clasp forearms, the deal sealed in handshake and blood.

Ares, hint of respect

ARES

Cortese has a camp east of Amphipolis. We will ambush them when they take to the road south to Potidaea. Figure two weeks to send scouts and spies, organize and march on your village. The odds are against us; it will be glorious.

Gabe, curious

GABE

Your quick agreement to participate has me wondering. It is not common.

ARES

The Gods don't interfere directly but we do make allowances. Let's just say I have more discretion than most. You were right to involve me. Once word spreads that you stand with Ares, you won't lack for volunteers. Trust your instincts, they will take you far.

Gabe, proudly

GABE

We will stand together in battle, shoulder to shoulder.

ARES

A legend is born in Potidaea today: you. It will only grow.

Ares prepares to leave, then stops.

Ares, promising

ARES

I feel your deepest desire, Gabe. Know that I have the power to grant it. Serve me well and the physical change you seek will happen.

Gabe, kneeling and bowing his head, now that it is safe to show humility, humbly

GABE

I am yours, God Ares.

 

 

FADE OUT:

TO BE CONTINUED

END OF PART ONE

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page