Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Hooves and Feathers”

Episode 40 , Part 1

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST - AFTERNOON

Xena and Gabrielle are walking thru the sparse woods; Argo follows on lead rope. The day is pleasant in the shade; sunny above. They don't appear to have a destination in mind or reason to hurry, just happy to meander about till it's time to set up camp. Suddenly, Gabrielle stops and tilts her head as if listening to something. Xena waits for her, unconcerned but curious, and shortly they resume walking again.

Gabrielle, not fooling Xena, casually

GABRIELLE

So Amazons … no men?

Xena, glancing at Gabrielle and studying her interest in this matter, neutrally

XENA

None. You enter their territory and they snip and hang, in that order.

Gabrielle, wincing

GABRIELLE

Ouch.

XENA

The male Centaurs don't leave wounded behind for that very reason when they send raiding parties.

Gabrielle, puzzled

GABRIELLE

How do they, you know, have children?

XENA

Slaves and Artemis; many Amazons are children of the Goddess. She often blesses the marriage on the joining night and claims one or both brides. There are a lot of demigoddesses in the tribes.

Pause.

XENA

No Amazon lies down with a man. It is an instant death sentence for both parties.

Gabrielle, giggling

GABRIELLE

Artemis gives new meaning to the word worship.

Xena, grinning

XENA

Worship with benefits. Zeus with his mortal trysts has nothing on her.

GABRIELLE

Now I know why you kept me away from them.

XENA

No worries, Athena made an honest woman out of you. What brought this line of questions?

Gabrielle, halting and pointing to the spot ahead

GABRIELLE

Hermes is coming.

They wait for the messenger, Gabrielle reaching into one of her pouches and distributing snacks. They munch happily and it soon turns into a game where Gabrielle playfully tosses a nut and Xena tries to catch it in her mouth.

Several successes later, Xena returns to the conversation.

Xena, intrigued

XENA

How do you know?

Gabrielle, shrugging

GABRIELLE

Wife told me.

XENA

How?

Gabrielle, thinking of the way to phrase it, illustrating with her hands

GABRIELLE

We have this … connection. I hear her voice outside dreams. Sometimes images and emotions; very weak but growing stronger.

Xena, raunchily

XENA

I bet it makes for great s… mmph!

Gabrielle's hand shoots out and clamps on her mouth.

Gabrielle, warningly

GABRIELLE

Don't say it.

Hermes, making his appearance, cheerfully

HERMES

What did I miss?

Gabrielle jerks her hand away with and gives Xena a “behave yourself” look. She wipes her wet palm on her trousers as Xena smirks.

GABRIELLE

Xena being herself.

HERMES

Not much then. Need a hero or two. Chosen would be nice.

Xena, melodramatically

XENA

O greater good, for you I bleed and suffer.

HERMES

Easy on the drama, thespian Princess.

Xena, knowingly

XENA

You say one thing, you mean another.

Gabrielle, mischievously

GABRIELLE

Huggy time!

She cuddles Xena and places her head on Xena's chest with a sigh. Xena does not resist the bard but she shoot shoots daggers at Hermes with her eyes.

Hermes, laughing

HERMES

That definitely proved it.

Gabrielle, releasing glaring Xena, focusing on their visitor, evenly

GABRIELLE

Let's have it, Hermes.

HERMES

Amazons have fought the Centaurs as the memory is long. The tribes are expanding and the woman warriors are on the march. Amazons are trouble because everyone fights, from the oldest to the youngest. Their entire culture is dedicated to war. Centaurs are fierce and proud but most of their females and young ones are not fighters. That limits their pool of recruits. Unfortunate, for they are the buffer between Greece and the Amazon nation. If they fall, Greece will burn. No polis wants to go against an army of archers in the thousands. Artemis dreams of conquest and her daughters lust for war.

Gabrielle, worried

GABRIELLE

How did it get so bad?

HERMES

Amazons buy girls and young women by the caravan and the Centaurs got rich enabling the flesh trade. Now the very profits will be their downfall. The tribes swelled with fresh blood and desire land.

XENA

What can we do to help?

HERMES

Queen Melosa is the reasonable one and she leads the largest tribe in the region. It happens she is available; start with her. Word of advice: hide the blood armor. Amazons abide no God except Artemis. Gabrielle, be careful; we love you on Olympus and you are outnumbered thousand and half to one. Stay safe. Protect her, Xena.

Xena, to Gabrielle, grumbling

XENA

Great, another suicide mission. You take the first fifteen centuria and I will take the other half.

Hermes, wryly

HERMES

Way to think positive.

He gives a warm hug to Gabrielle and hesitates in front of Xena. She pulls him into hug and he returns it with enthusiasm. They part and he smiles and vanishes.

Gabrielle, giggling

GABRIELLE

Thespian Princess.

Xena, haughtily

XENA

I have many skills.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST - AFTERNOON

Xena and Gabrielle have stopped and are passing a waterskin around. Xena finishes the contents and secures it on Argo.

Gabrielle, breaking the temporary silence

GABRIELLE

Are the legends true?

Xena, thoughtfully

XENA

Yes, they use the same training regimen as the Spartans. They take them very young and bond them to each other. You train, relax, eat, bathe, and sleep with your partner. The ties forged last till death. Amazons will fight and die for their life mate with ferocity that goes beyond reason. The ones that lose theirs are called dead walkers. They wear nothing save war paint and they charge head on in battle, seeking death and reunion in the beyond. There are rumors of drugs that give them extraordinary strength. If you ask me, Artemis has a hand in that.

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

Xena, that is evil. No choice for love and no fate except war.

Xena, countering, reasonably

XENA

It is the same as arranged marriage. Better, if you ask me.

Gabrielle, outraged

GABRIELLE

How can you say that?

Xena, patiently and calmly makes her case

XENA

When you share your life with someone since leaving diapers, you really know and understand them. The older Amazons watch which children play together - you pick your best friend and future spouse. The ceremony that makes them a family is when the youngest in the pair turns fifteen. This is not two strangers thrown together by politics or monetary considerations, like Perdicus and you.

Gabrielle, objecting

GABRIELLE

There is a difference between loving someone and being in love.

XENA

The traditions tell you that you should be with your life mate in all ways and you do. The Amazons know nothing else and it keeps conflict at a minimum. Everyone is joined and no one is alone. Infidelity is harshly punished because to break the oath is to defy Artemis herself. Your preference is not an issue yet like couples in traditional, arranged marriages most fall in love. It works for them.

Gabrielle, reluctantly conceding merits

GABRIELLE

Hmm, you have a point. It is a martial society, taken to extreme.

Pause.

Gabrielle, getting a look in her eyes, testing, craftily

GABRIELLE

What they need is love. Xena, you know what you have to do.

XENA

I don't have that much love in me to start with and that is the worst plan ever. Okay, the skunk one wins but not by much.

GABRIELLE

Melosa is a woman, you like women, seduce her. Marriage is in your near future.

Xena, not knowing if Gabrielle is serious, stunned

XENA

Gabrielle, are you mad?

Gabrielle, pushing, importantly

GABRIELLE

Warrior Princess, you are all about conquering the powerful. There is no greater prize than an Amazon queen with three thousand warriors in her tribe. You know you want to.

Xena, adding her hands to the argument, emphatically

XENA

No; I am not going back. The whole point is to stop the Amazons from going to war, not to give them my leadership. I know myself, that kind of power and temptation will consume our soul and damn us both for good. I can't, don't ask me. Please.

Gabrielle, beaming with pride, pleased

GABRIELLE

You pass.

Gabrielle flies at Xena and embraces her warmly; Xena returns it in kind. They part.

Xena, paying her back, pretending hurt, grumpily

XENA

That does it, I am returning to old ways.

GABRIELLE

I'm sorry, mandatory warlord temptation check.

XENA

Wench.

Gabrielle blows her a kiss and dances away.

XENA

Harlot.

Gabrielle, flutters her eyelashes, coyly

GABRIELLE

You say the sweetest things.

Xena smiles and all is forgiven. She raises her arm in invitation and Gabrielle scoots under it. They step ahead, with Xena's arm around Gabrielle's shoulder. Gabrielle bumps her with her hips playfully and Xena laughs.

GABRIELLE

Tell me about their leader.

XENA

Melosa's wife died in childbirth, taking their second daughter. Being Queen, there is no relief for her. The tribes fight with each other and Centaurs; death is easy and frequent. Yet she is not allowed the peace of passing and the joy of reunion. The Amazon Queen is dead inside, her heart ripped out. There is nothing left except duty to her people. I can't hurt her this way. I won't.

Gabrielle, wonderingly

GABRIELLE

You have changed.

Xena, quietly

XENA

Yes, I found love.

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

Either you convince them to rein in their expansion or we unite the Centaurs and destroy some tribes before they build an alliance. If there is anyone who can change an entire culture with her words, it's you. Gabrielle, I believe in you. The Amazons are great and noble warriors; they must endure.

GABRIELLE

We can't defeat them?

XENA

We can weaken them at the price of an entire Centaur nation. If the united Amazon nation goes on a warpath, Ares' favorites are extinct anyway. The only thing they hate more than outsiders is each other. Artemis encourages this to her ends.

GABRIELLE

What can be gained by endless violence?

XENA

The finest warriors, forged in battle, and steeped in bloodlust. The famous Athenian cavalry that strikes fear into the hearts of enemies would be so much shredded meat after few arrow volleys. Imagine the carnage ten thousand experienced longbow archers can bring on the ranks, fronted by same number heavy infantry. One fifth of the Amazons are descendants of Artemis. No one wants to see that army at their city gates.

GABRIELLE

So they let them fight and grow strong till they got tired of slaughtering fellow Amazons and decided it was time to find new sport?

XENA

Precisely.

GABRIELLE

Why do we always get stuck in those messes?

Xena, joking

XENA

You wanted to be a hero; I just wanted to die in peace.

Gabrielle, hurting

GABRIELLE

Not funny.

XENA

I'm sorry.

Gabrielle has no time to brood as someone catches her attention.

Gabrielle, breaking into a huge smile, staring at the space directly in front of her

GABRIELLE

No choice now, our ride is here.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FIELD NEAR AMAZON FOREST – LATE AFTERNOON

Xena is watching the couple stand close together, bard's hands on the side of Goddess' neck, cupping what is most precious. Gabrielle and Athena are lost to the world, communicating without words, thru touch and gaze. After long moments they speak.

ATHENA

Come back safe, love.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

I always am in your arms.

They kiss and part and then Athena disappears with a teary smile. Gabrielle joins Xena near Argo, who made the trip as well. They look around and try to get their bearings.

Gabrielle, lost

GABRIELLE

Where is here?

Xena points first at the open fields behind them and then at the dense and dark wood spreading in front of them to illustrate her directions as she speaks.

XENA

We are north of Crenides and about half a day away from a large trading village; the only place in Greece where you can safely see Amazons on regular basis. This strip of land adjuncts their lands and is the only place where we don't have to wade thru Centaurs first. The main village of the tribe has the warriors and training fields; smaller ones behind it have the elderly and the young. It is about two days from here but we should be under escort long before then.

Pause.

Xena, tapping Gabrielle's chest, concerned

XENA

Gabrielle, marked blood armor is not a good idea.

Gabrielle, simply

GABRIELLE

Trust me.

Xena, pointedly

XENA

Says the woman wearing Hephaestus' steel; I can't wade thru rain of arrows like you can.

Gabrielle, musing openly

GABRIELLE

Give them credit; one of them might think to stop aiming center mass when the umpteenth one bounces off.

XENA

By that time I will have so many in me that it will be little consolation. At least reconsider.

Gabrielle, loftily

GABRIELLE

We are going in red, owlish and proud.

Xena, rolling her eyes

XENA

More like red, skewered and dead. At least tell me why?

GABRIELLE

I wish it was because the Amazons won't expect it.

XENA

It is a Chosen thing, right?

Gabrielle, seriously

GABRIELLE

There is no dividing line; where Athena begins I end and where she ends I begin.

Xena, not understanding, cautioning

XENA

You know, you can be too close to another.

Gabrielle, genuinely, emotionally

GABRIELLE

They call love madness and they are right. I want to wear her clothes, her skin; I want to be with her, in her, merged and complete. As close as we are, I desire to be closer yet.

Xena, not expecting that, lost for words and shocked at the feelings expressed

XENA

Gabrielle!

Gabrielle, taking Xena's hands in hers, sorrow in her voice

GABRIELLE

You never ...?

Xena, tearfully

XENA

No … I would give anything to experience a mere second of what you two have.

GABRIELLE

And I wish we could give it to you.

There is a short silence.

Xena, deciding to share, confessing

XENA

When I was with the Fates I saw a golden thread and a black one spun together.

Gabrielle, focusing on what was left unsaid, immediately

GABRIELLE

Where was yours?

Xena, losing her composure, stalling

XENA

What?

Gabrielle, getting her confirmation from Xena's reaction, gently

GABRIELLE

It was with us, wasn't it?

XENA

No … yes.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

You and yours are family. I and wife are in complete agreement.

Pause.

Gabrielle, proving she means it, firmly

GABRIELLE

Where is our son, Xena?

Xena, mouth hanging open, jaw working futilely without sound

XENA

…

Gabrielle, believing and reminding Xena of that fact, committedly

GABRIELLE

This is no longer just about you; this is about us.

Xena, finding her voice, weakly

XENA

Solan is in Chin.

Gabrielle, with iron determination

GABRIELLE

Then we will bring him home, whatever it takes.

Xena, incredulous

XENA

You would do this for me?

Gabrielle, leaving no doubt

GABRIELLE

That and more.

Xena, lovingly

XENA

I love you.

GABRIELLE

We love you too.

They embrace.

Gabrielle, promising

GABRIELLE

When this is over, we have a rescue to plan.

Sobs rack Xena body and she hangs tight to her best friend … no, family.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – AMAZON FOREST – EVENING

Xena is slowly advancing, chakram in one hand and lead rope in the other. Argo follows, picking up nervous vibes from her owner, the muscles in her neck stiff and her head raised.

There is a bird call and then Gabrielle appears between the trees. Reading the hand signals Xena ties off Argo and moves to join her friend. They silently head thru the forest, the bard leading them with unerring precision and at a very fast clip.

The sounds of battle make Xena tighten her hold and bring her chakram up. Shortly, Gabrielle glances back at Xena and there is a rapid exchange of gestures. Gabrielle nods and splits off, sinking into the green without a ripple. The last thing Xena hears is the sound of drawn steel and then she is alone.

It does not take Xena long to find the skirmish. It appears two small patrols from both sides are clashing ahead of her. Xena makes a quick decision and the chakram takes out the legs from under two CENTAURS who happened to be in direct line from her. She puts the sword thru the closest one chest and the Amazons welcome her to the fight on their side.

There are about a score of CENTAURS and a dozen AMAZONS left, with the bodies on the ground showing that the initial arrow barrage cost the women warriors a higher price. Many of the remaining CENTAURS are pierced with arrows but their stronger constitution allows them to weather the effects better.

Xena catches sight of Gabrielle throwing a flurry of knives, appearing to take on four CENTAURS that are attacking a lone, injured WARRIOR backed against a tree. Two CENTAURS falter with knives to torso and front legs and the WARRIOR takes advantage by impaling one. The remaining two throw their spears at Gabrielle and connect solid hits to the chest; the weapons bounce off harmlessly. Gabrielle picks up one spear and delivers a brutal blow to the front knee of the CENTAUR. She cracks his skull when he goes down. Judging things well in hand, Xena wades into the main fight.

Xena's height puts her on even footing. She punches a CENTAUR in the throat hard enough to crush it and he buckles. She breaks a leg of another with a low kick and guts a third one. She grabs the spear coming at her and buries the sword into the fourth CENTAUR's chest. Their numbers nearly cut in half in a manner of seconds by the unexpected reinforcements, the remaining CENTAURS kill the ones who are too wounded to escape and retreat. A living Centaur in Amazon hands is a fate worse than death.

Xena retrieves her chakram and makes her way to Gabrielle, receiving pats on her shoulders from cheering AMAZONS. There, three dead CENTAURS cover the ground and the WARRIOR is laid out as well. Xena drops everything and is at bard's side in an instant when she realizes Gabrielle is trying to save the WARRIOR.

Gabrielle, brushing her off, ordering

GABRIELLE

Help others.

Xena does not take it personally for she recognizes the tone and knows it's real bad; the Amazon will require Gabrielle's full attention. It is now her job to see to the rest of the patients. She starts the triage on the WOUNDED AMAZONS.

The AMAZONS pick up on the healers' behavior and immediately set up perimeter. Few go on guard, rest lay out medical supplies and start a fire. Waterskins are pooled and contents set to boil. The rest are set aside for the injured.

Gabrielle finishes patching up the WARRIOR. The woman's eyes open and blink at her in confusion.

GABRIELLE

I'm Gabrielle and I am a healer. What's your name?

WARRIOR, weakly

WARRIOR

… Terreis.

Gabrielle, not seeing anything that could account for the condition, soothingly

GABRIELLE

Terreis, where are you hurt?

Terreis, barely moving her hand in the direction of her trunk, grimacing

 

TERREIS

… Inside … pain.

GABRIELLE

Why did they attack you?

TERREIS

Princess …

The effort is too much and she passes out. Minor punctures plugged, Gabrielle starts checking her head to toe. She pauses and frowns at the midsection. She removes the dressing and starts feeling and sniffing around the wound. Concerned, she beckons over the nearest AMAZON, a lithe woman about her height.

AMAZON, introducing herself

AMAZON

I'm Solari, chief scout. How is she?

Gabrielle, distractedly, handing her a dagger

GABRIELLE

A spear tip broke off in her, I have to open her and take it out. Set this in the flame and bring it back.

Solari turns pale and swallows, taking the dagger nonetheless. She walks on unsteady legs to the fire. She comes back shortly to the smell of the wine. Meanwhile, Gabrielle cleans the midriff and washes it with alcohol. She takes the dagger back from the numb hand and without hesitation cuts a narrow line in the skin. Solari passes out and hits the ground with a thud. The other AMAZONS take a look and decide they want to stay away. Xena snickers under her breath and gets unfriendly gazes in return.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – AMAZON FOREST – NIGHT

Another patrol arrives and assists with the aftermath. The dead and wounded are loaded and one empty travois awaits the princess. Xena is assisting Gabrielle, who ties off the bandage around the midriff. Gabrielle nods and Xena carefully picks up Terreis and deposits her on the transport. AMAZONS step up, cover her up with blankets and secure her to it. Xena returns to Gabrielle's side and picking up the waterskin, tips it. Gabrielle washes her hands and face and then drinks deeply. She passes the water to Xena, who finishes it. AMAZONS gather around to hear the diagnosis.

Gabrielle, addressing the AMAZONS

GABRIELLE

Internal bleeding, done what I could; it is in Artemis' hands now.

XENA

You open people all the time.

GABRIELLE

Taking things out is easy; sewing flesh is risky. You get important bits cut inside and you should prepare to meet Hades.

Solaris groans and puts a hand to the bump on the back of her head. She looks around and then down at her armor. She focuses and sees the bloody piece that was inside Terreis lying on her leather covered stomach. She screams and jumps to her feet, shaking it off. She does a little dance to the roaring laughter from the AMAZONS.

Gabrielle, shooting Xena a look

GABRIELLE

Xena!

Xena, innocently

XENA

What?

GABRIELLE

Behave.

Xena, being incorrigible, roguishly

XENA

So that is where I left it …

Gabrielle joins the laughter, the release of stress feeling good after earlier.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – AMAZON FOREST – NEXT DAY/EVENING

Xena leads Argo with Gabrielle sleeping in the saddle. They are taking turns resting since the Amazons are marching continuously with few breaks. The warrior women want to return to the village before Terreis' fate is decided either way.

Up front, Solari calls a stop and the AMAZONS collapse on the ground in couples. Few designated ones spread out and assume guard, mostly those without life mates. Xena halts Argo and pats Gabrielle on the leg. The bard is instantly awake and off the horse, her hands on her knives and eyes scanning.

Xena, calmly

XENA

Break.

Gabrielle stretches gingerly and yawns. Picking up her healers kit, she heads for the princess. So like her that the first waking thought is centered on her patient.

Solari comes down the wishbone of spread, paired bodies, many already snoring under cloaks. She pauses at Xena.

Solari, handing out dried meat and fresh fruit

SOLARI

Four hours for Gabrielle, you have a shift in two. We will be in the village by morning, make sure she eats and rests. She is only thing keeping Terreis alive.

XENA

True.

Solari, shuddering

SOLARI

Seen it before, terrible way to go; few lucky ones go fast, the rest suffer for agonizing hours.

XENA

Local specialty?

SOLARI

Scouts from different Thrace tribes clash often. Spear or arrow to the gut is the preferred way to say hello.

Xena, dryly

XENA

How civilized.

SOLARI

It has its moments.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – VALLEY – DAWN

The riders have switched and it is Xena who is asleep on Argo as they break the tree line to emerge into a deforested valley. In the distance a large keep sits on a hill. Earthen embankment topped with a wooden palisade circles the location, the sharpened ends of the trunks standing double the average man. Large wooden gates are open, welcoming them. The open space is covered with fields.

Gabrielle takes in the sights with wide open eyes. She taps Xena's boot with her staff and bleary eyes gaze around and then at her.

Xena, irritated

XENA

What?!

GABRIELLE

This is a farming settlement; you said they were warriors.

XENA

The youngest and the oldest work the fields and raise livestock. The Amazons have an efficient division of labor and wisely use their resources to maximize their fighting potential.

GABRIELLE

You would say that.

XENA

I just did.

GABRIELLE

Go back to Morpheus.

XENA

Don't mind if I do.

GABRIELLE

Grouch.

XENA

Grubby peasant.

GABRIELLE

Softy.

XENA

Uncalled for.

GABRIELLE

You are not going to get the last word.

Xena loudly harrumphs.

GABRIELLE

I win.

Xena closes her eyes and pretends to sleep. Gabrielle provokes her by tapping her again. With an exaggerated sigh, Xena abandons the oblivion of dreams and dismounts. Gabrielle eyes her expectantly.

Xena moves next to Gabrielle and wraps an arm around her shoulder. Gabrielle returns the gesture with her arm around Xena's waist.

Xena, quietly

XENA

I lost to you long ago but I surrendered willingly.

Xena kisses the top of Gabrielle's head and draws her closer. There is no resistance, only few sniffles and Gabrielle's other hand darts to her face to wipe the tears away. They walk towards the village in comfortable silence.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL – AMAZON VILLAGE – EARLY MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle walk thru the large gates and Solari joins them. There are buildings everywhere and they look similar, except for the amount of GUARDS around them varies from none to heavy presence. AMAZONS are everywhere, most walking hand in hand, wearing leather armor and heavily armed. Most are heading outside the walls. The most unusual feature of the walled town is the numerous trees left to grow in peace. They stretch towards the sky and bring a feel of forest camp to the village.

Solari, doing the guide, pointing out the structures with her arm

SOLARI

This is a warrior village; everything nonessential is left outside the gates, like the training yards and stables where we stopped earlier. The barracks around us all have individual rooms. We have communal baths and kitchens and you are welcome to utilize them. You can pray at the temple of Artemis in the center. Council hall next to it, armory to your left, and individual houses in the back are off limits. Xena, wait for Ephiny here. Gabrielle, you are staying with Terreis and me; I will escort you to Queen Melosa personally.

Solari mentions the litter carriers over and she and Gabrielle follow it. Gabrielle is carrying her healer's kit and staff. The rest of her weapons are on her body but what draws interest and ire of the passing Amazons is her marked blood armor.

Xena, noticing the hard stares at the bard, to herself, gruffly but with admiration

XENA

Troublemaker.

The patrol disperses in pairs to the different barracks, leaving Xena by the side of the road. Her height marks her and sets her apart. Xena stands with a mask of stone, arms crossed, indifferent yet subtly arrogant. It is not long before she has company again.

Ephiny steps right into Xena's personal space; she looks her up and down. While giving up a few inches in vertical, she does not appear to be intimidated in the least. So Xena does something unexpected; she blows into her face and the woman backs up, startled and losing her bearing. Her hand goes to her sword.

Xena, unconcerned, joking

XENA

Mine is bigger and you are a lightweight.

Ephiny relaxes and laughs.

Ephiny, raising her hands in conciliation

EPHINY

I deserved that. In honor of your life mate's service to the nation and your valiant contribution in the fight with Centaurs you are being given official guest quarters. Follow me.

Xena, pleased, curious

XENA

Why the impression we are together?

They start walking further into the town, the Amazons parting before them, making the progress easy. Ephiny must be important, Xena thinks.

EPHINY

Victims running away from war and famine are a daily occurrence here. Rest? Well, the men in Athens and other poleis are free to consort with their own but don't bestow the same freedom on the women. You are both famous warriors and will be a great addition to the nation. Besides, what did you expect? Two women traveling together and Solari sure thinks so.

Ephiny places a hand on Xena's arm and Xena lets it stay, suppressing a twitch.

Ephiny, kindly

EPHINY

We are happy for you and we will make it official. No one here is alone, not for long. We accept you and the strong daughters you will add to the nation.

Xena, wistfully

XENA

You are wrong. Gabrielle is family and I love her but she is joined to another.

Pause.

XENA

The last two days press hard on her; Terreis' persistent fever weighs heavily and she is deeply troubled about Princess' condition. She hid it pretty well to avoid worrying the Amazons but I know her. Plus she misses her wife.

Ephiny, squeezing Xena's arm in sympathy and then removing her hand, sincerely

EPHINY

She is lucky to have you.

Pause.

Ephiny, sensing the sadness in Xena, cheerfully

EPHINY

What do you say we drop off your saddlebags and visit my life mate on the training fields? You, me, Eponin, our finest warriors, and lots of weapons; we might even be persuaded to scare up some mead from private stocks later. What do you say?

Xena, spirits lifting, looking forward to distractions, brightly

XENA

Beating each other senseless, followed by drinking? Took you long enough to ask. Lead on.

Ephiny, throwing a punch at Xena‘s arm

EPHINY

Now we bonding.

Xena deftly avoids the strike and grabbing the extended arm throws Ephiny to the ground. Snickers from surrounding AMAZONS greet the sight and Ephiny glares at Xena.

Xena, face blank, eyes smiling

XENA

Lightweight.

Xena extends a hand and Ephiny takes it grudgingly, finding herself lifted with ease. She makes a show of examining Xena and then purses her lips in thought.

Ephiny, critically

EPHINY

We may make an Amazon of you yet.

The beginning of friendship struck, they laugh and resume walking.

CUT TO:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – QUEEN'S RESIDENCE – NIGHT

It is deep into the night and Gabrielle is sitting on the chair next to the bed. She is exhausted and she rubs her face in brave attempt to forestall weariness closing her eyes. Outside, the drums keep their solemn beat.

Terreis lies in bed, matted hair plastered to her drawn face, shiny with sweat and colored by fever. Her breathing is labored. Melosa is on the other side, sleeping in a chair.

Gabrielle lifts the dressing on the midriff. The thin line of the cut is mottled and obscenely swollen. Puss mixed with fresh blood seeps out between the stiches. Gabrielle sighs and covers it back up. She goes to her kit and prepares two mixtures in cups which she then sets on the table next to the bed.

She returns to the dressing and removes the stiches. She cleans the wound and applies poultice and bandages. Gabrielle checks Terreis' vitals and then goes to wake Melosa, taking one cup with her.

Gabrielle stands above the woman, letting her presence bring the Queen about. Melosa opens her groggy eyes with effort and immediately perceives the bad news.

Melosa, bringing her hands to her face, moaning

MELOSA

No … please Artemis, no …

Gabrielle, opting for the truth, honestly

GABRIELLE

Melosa, I'm sorry, there is nothing more I can do. I kept her alive beyond her appointed time but it was not meant to be. She is bleeding out inside and fever is devouring her. Death is coming for her.

Pause.

Gabrielle, showing her the cup and pointing at the one on the table in turn, soothingly

GABRIELLE

I will bring her out with this. When you said your goodbyes and the time comes, that will take away the pain and give her peace.

Melosa grasps her free hand and clutches tightly to the lifeline.

Melosa, pleading

MELOSA

Stay. For her …

Pause.

MELOSA

… for me.

GABRIELLE

She needs to be with family.

Melosa, desperate now, seizes on the words, feverishly

MELOSA

You are; I am adopting you. Fate took my daughter and Artemis sent me another.

Gabrielle, off balance, disbelieving

GABRIELLE

I am to become an Amazon?

Melosa, everything suddenly clear, intently

MELOSA

Yes, yes, why did I not think it before? You were sent by the Goddess to save us. Gabrielle, you no longer have a past, your marriage is void, and you are one of us starting today. You will take your bride from new arrivals - unless Xena is your life mate?

Gabrielle, her tired mind trying to process this bewildering development, backpedalling

GABRIELLE

I am married to a woman.

Melosa, not one to be deterred, confidently

MELOSA

We will welcome her.

GABRIELLE

I am her wife and her Chosen.

MELOSA

Gabrielle, you are joined to a Goddess?!

Gabrielle, pointing at her chest, proudly

GABRIELLE

By Zeus himself, presided over by the twelve. Athena is my true love and I wear her sign. We are one.

Melosa, hope flaring, exclaiming

MELOSA

Artemis! You have the power to save Terreis?

Gabrielle, sorrowfully

GABRIELLE

I led the army at the pass of Thermopylae and Athena respected my decision and did not interfere, even when I fell. I make my own fate.

Melosa, seeing Gabrielle with new eyes, respectfully

MELOSA

You are a remarkable woman.

Melosa, to GUARDS standing silently just outside the door, commanding

MELOSA

Summon Eponin and Ephiny. Don't return.

The GUARDS hastily depart, not wishing to partake in private grief and relieved to be away.

Melosa, explaining

MELOSA

Tribe weapons master and head huntress, respectively. Life mates, both demigoddesses.

Pause.

Melosa, catching the puzzled expression

MELOSA

Amazons that are born out of union of Artemis and mortal are between Xena and human in abilities. Those that take the longbow are called huntress and can put an arrow thru a man in full armor at 150 yards. They are deadly up to 250 yards. It is said you are an archer of renown.

GABRIELLE

You keeping track of us?

MELOSA

Your scrolls are in our library; all Amazons read, write, and speak common and Latin. Ignorance is the tool of oppression.

There is a flicker of doubt in Gabrielle's eyes.

Melosa, defending her nation by reflex, scolding

MELOSA

We are not savages and the nation is built on the freedoms we share.

Two tall women enter, one brunette, one blonde. They are both around six feet tall and muscular. In response, a ruling mask snaps on Queen's face and she is cold and regal, untouched by emotions and distant in bearing. The throne demands it. The only signs of stress are the red, puffy eyes, sunken and shadowed.

Eponin & Ephiny, kneeling, bowing in deference

EPONIN & EPHINY

My Queen.

MELOSA

Bring Terreis awake.

Gabrielle nods and sitting on the bed, slowly makes the Princess sip the liquid. Few heartbeats later, Terreis is with them.

Melosa stands at the foot of the bed and motions Gabrielle next to her. Ephiny and Eponin stand at the side which Gabrielle just vacated. Melosa is all Queen.

Melosa, authoritatively

MELOSA

This is Gabrielle of Potidaea, Chosen of Athena, Destroyer of Tracus and Troy, Butcher of Locia, Shield of Thermopylae, and a renowned warrior. I adapt her as my daughter. She will be initiated as an Amazon the morning of the funeral.

EPONIN & EPHINY

Will of Artemis, my Queen.

MELOSA

Terreis, princess of Thrace Amazons, daughter of Queen Melosa, you are dying. It is time to name your successor.

Terreis, strength ebbing, does her duty, with effort

TERREIS

My Queen, I give my rite of caste to Gabrielle of Potidaea.

EPHINY

I witness.

EPONIN

I witness.

Melosa, turning to Gabrielle, drawing a blade

MELOSA

Kneel.

Melosa touches the blade to her shoulder.

MELOSA

Rise Gabrielle of Thrace Amazons, daughter of Queen Melosa, Princess, and the first in line to the throne. You are released from your old bonds and begin your new life as a member of the nation. Loyalty, honor, and duty.

Gabrielle, humbly and obediently, swearing the oath

GABRIELLE

Loyalty, honor, and duty, my Queen.

Melosa, close to breaking point from the pain of holding it together, barks

MELOSA

Leave!

Ephiny and Eponin clear the room in record time, no bothering with custom and ceremony, knowing any delay and the Queen will take their heads off.

Gabrielle is at Melosa's side in an instant, supporting her and drawing her to the bed beside the dying woman. She sets the unresisting woman in the chair next to it and takes Terreis' hand, placing it in her mother's. Numb fingers close on their own volition and mother and daughter share the last moments. Gabrielle lifts Terreis higher and arranges the pillows for maximum comfort; she then steps back and look at the Queen, unasked question on her lips.

Melosa signals readiness, and the bard brings the second cup from the table and helps the dying Princess slowly swallow the contents. With each drop the lines of pain dissolve and peace settles in her features and floods her soul.

Melosa opens her mouth but the grief chokes her throat.

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

Enough to take the edge off, not enough to dull the mind. It won't be long now, minutes. Talk to her; it is okay to be weak, I will be strong for you mother.

Gabrielle stands next to Melosa and embraces the Queen in silent support.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMAZON VILLAGE – QUEEN'S RESIDENCE – NIGHT

The drums sound their monotone rhythm and the tribe dreads the silence to come. Significant time has passed since the two warriors left the house and the waiting is wearing on them. The Amazons guess the purpose of the visit and know it won't be long now.

A wail pierces the night, mother's grief pouring out. The drums abruptly stop and the night carries the sound of mourning. For the second time in her life, Melosa's heart and soul are shattered.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – GUEST HOUSE – NIGHT

Xena is in her bedroll near the door. Athena is sprawled on her stomach in the bed under the blankets. She is hogging the space and the covers. Moonlight provides some illumination of the room but the shadows are deep and numerous.

Xena wakes up with a start and lights a small candle, placing it on the floor. She nods a greeting to Gabrielle who wearily makes her way inside. Xena sits up and Gabrielle crouches next to her. They keep their voices down as they talk.

Xena, pointing at Athena, teasing

XENA

Someone is not sharing.

Gabrielle, simply

GABRIELLE

Athena likes her Gabrielle mattress. Behave.

XENA

The Goddess has good taste. What's next?

Gabrielle, her mind heavy

GABRIELLE

New Princess' initiation is in the morning. Mine.

Xena, wearing “I know something you don't” expression, smugly

XENA

The painful kind?

Gabrielle, rhetorically

GABRIELLE

Is there any other?

Xena, reminiscing

XENA

I loved them in my warlord days: the screams, the humiliation, the embarrassment. Sweet memories, those.

Gabrielle, drawing the word out

GABRIELLE

Riiiiight.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

What about the Amazons, o great fount of knowledge?

Xena, grinning evilly

XENA

They strip you naked, paint you bright red, give you a five minute head start, and the whole village chases you. They beat the stuffing out of you when they catch you and when you finally leave the healer, you are in.

GABRIELLE

Lovely.

XENA

There is an out. Make it to the temple of Artemis and you win.

GABRIELLE

What's the catch?

XENA

Dozens of sentries and patrols outside and inside the village, the building is in the middle of it, one way in, and oh, a score of the nastiest and beefiest demigoddesses in front of it.

Gabrielle, thinking fast

GABRIELLE

What if I got the armor and the staff? I can plow thru twenty Amazons before the rest rush back.

XENA

That's crazy talk. You are a master with a staff but twenty overgrown muscle heads in full complement of armor and weapons is beyond even Hercules. Besides, you are not allowed to use weapons, armor, or herbs. It is you, buck naked versus tons of humanity.

Gabrielle, shuddering

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

Greased lighting; lose them in the woods and meet me behind the council hall. One well lubed bard coming up.

Gabrielle, suspiciously

GABRIELLE

You doing the service?

XENA

You know it.

Pause.

Xena, imploring

XENA

Please?

GABRIELLE

I trust you.

Gabrielle removes her armor and weapons. Xena takes them without a word and places them in a pile by her bedroll. She mentions towards the bed with her head and Gabrielle gives her a small, tired smile. She speaks a silent “thank you” and moves to the bed. She takes off her boots, trousers, and tunic and tosses them on the floor. Gabrielle leans over Athena, first kissing then ruffling her hair affectionately.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

Let me in, love.

Athena makes an unintelligible noise and flips over to the side. Gabrielle scoots into the cleared space and Athena rolls back on top of her, covering the bard. Few shifts and adjustments later the bodies settle into sleep.

Xena chuckles to herself and starts cleaning the bard's equipment.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TEMPLE – MIDMORNING

Gabrielle explodes out of cover, heading straight for the temple. She closes the distance before the MUSCULAR AMAZONS realize she is there. Once spotted, shouts of warning call out and hands reach out. And that is when the things get comical.

Gabrielle is covered head to toe in lard. Her hair is pulled back in a ponytail and there is no surface you can grab and hold on to her as the MUSCULAR AMAZONS quickly find out. Using her superior speed and agility, Gabrielle darts around the lumbering giants, breaking tackles and squirting out of reach. It is nigh impossible to pin her down and the yard quickly fills with falling bodies and cries of frustration.

Xena is laughing so hard she falls out of the nearby tree she perches in and continues her merriment without pause on the ground. The Amazons are not amused and few take offense to her behavior. She quickly scrambles up the tree, satisfied she did her part and occupied some MUSCULAR AMAZONS, albeit inadvertently.

Gabrielle makes it thru the gauntlet of living flesh and sprints up the steps to the door. Roars of disappointment greet her escape and then she is inside and gone. Safe.

A score of highly pissed off MUSCULAR AMAZONS look for a scapegoat and find her up in the tree. They start shaking the trunk and tossing things. Xena has no choice but to start leaping branch to branch, trying to lose her pursuers who follow her diligently on the ground and above. It will take all her skill to get out of this mess.

CUT TO:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TERREIS' HOUSE – NOON

The walls and flat surfaces are bare, the possessions of the previous owner packed away on Gabrielle's insistence. Athena is eating at the table and making a sport of tossing food at Xena, who is sitting on the edge of the bed. Gabrielle enters from a side room, hair wet from the bath. She is wearing a tunic. With a quick warning glance at Athena and Xena, the game stops. Xena has a black eye and split lip and without a word Gabrielle brings over a wash bowl and some linen.

Gabrielle, baiting

GABRIELLE

My initiation went great. How was yours?

XENA

I hate you.

GABRIELLE

Baby.

Gabrielle kisses the injured eye and puts a cold, wet washcloth over it. Xena holds it.

GABRIELLE

Better?

XENA

Keep going.

Gabrielle, pronouncing each word slowly and distinctly

GABRIELLE

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Xena, not discouraged, bantering

XENA

Hey Athena, I need lip service.

ATHENA

Keep flirting with Gabrielle and you will.

Gabrielle giggles and wetting another cloth, she delicately dabbles around the injury to Xena's mouth.

Xena, affectionately

XENA

You are the best friend ever.

Gabrielle hands her the fabric and moves over to the table. She leans over it, resting her forearms on the rough surface and gazes expectantly at Athena. The Goddess gives her a quick kiss and then another as she pretends to be clueless. Still playing, she raises an eyebrow in question and Gabrielle looks meaningfully at the plate. Conceding defeat, Athena forks over a heaping helping to the waiting mouth and starts hand-feeding her wife.

Xena, taking over the ministrations of her lip, jealously

XENA

I need to get one of those.

Athena, wryly

ATHENA

Plate with food?

XENA

Wife.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TEMPLE – NEXT DAY/EARLY MORNING

The open space is now a circle of open ground surrounded by hundreds of AMAZONS. Inside, Xena and Gabrielle stretch and prepare for a demonstration.

XENA

When you leaving?

GABRIELLE

Tonight; the body is display until sun sets and then we carry her to her ancestors. It is the last time she will see the sun - we travel at night. I am escorting Terreis to the Valley of the Queens in the mountains. Queen Melosa will lead the procession and I will accompany her. Part of it is duty, part learning the traditions, and part preparing to take the mask.

XENA

Queen Gabrielle.

Gabrielle, loftily

GABRIELLE

Prepare to be schooled by royalty.

XENA

Practice or real?

GABRIELLE

Full out.

XENA

Why?

GABRIELLE

You proved yourself with the warriors.

XENA

Pick on someone your own size.

GABRIELLE

Warrior chicken.

In response, Xena pulls out a chakram and a sword, combo rarely used with Gabrielle due to injury concerns. Gabrielle sets with her buckler and xiphos. She rolls her neck and then invites Xena's attack by spreading her arms wide. Xena does not disappoint.

From the first movement it is clear that this not a sparring match. Both women are wearing full armor and not pulling attacks; this is a real fight. The tension in the air thickens and hums as the Amazons are caught between protecting the Princess and not interfering.

With the deadly chakram slicing about, Gabrielle keeps her limbs away from the action lest she lose one. She picks her spots carefully, going for evasion over engagement. Xena presses the action and is relentless.

To the watching Amazons the combatants are a blur, chasing each other over the fighting circle. Gabrielle appears to be in constant retreat. Xena is pushing the pace and on the offensive yet not able to catch her. She is just a half-step or a fraction of the second late.

Then the unexpected happens and instead of running away, Gabrielle attacks. She picks her opening and times it perfectly. Her buckler traps the arm with the chakram and her sword's pummel finds a pressure point. Xena gasps, the chakram falling from her suddenly numb hand. She quickly spins out of the hold and shows her displeasure with an elbow to the head that cuts the bard. The injury bleeds profusely and blood flows into Gabrielle's eye. She returns the favor with a buckler to the ribs that makes Xena keenly aware of how many bones are in that part of her body. They dance away and grin at each other. The look is fairly macabre on Gabrielle's part due to all the red leaking out of her.

Xena, cooing

XENA

The Princess is not so pretty anymore.

Gabrielle flicks her head to remove the blood from her vision and concentrates her assault on the already tenderized side of Xena's body. She connects with another shield punch and a kick, eating a few jabs for her efforts. Now her nose is bleeding as well and she is looking ghastly.

AMAZONS are caught up in the fight and wagers fly in all directions. Money, duties, and possessions are bet on the contestants with abandon. The woman warriors love a good fight and this one is a beauty.

Xena finds her breath coming shorter with each passing minute and her speed is just not there. Gabrielle is pleased with the effects of her work and returns the insult in kind.

Gabrielle, mocking

GABRIELLE

And how is your breathing, Princess?

Xena answers her with a head kick. Gabrielle gets under it and takes her down. She jumps back and allows Xena to regain her feet, only to front kick her at the last second. Xena steps back and moves her jaw tenderly, having just seen stars. Gabrielle wipes her face, the gash impeding her fighting more than she is willing to admit.

Gabrielle takes over the stalking as Xena conserves her oxygen. Gabrielle targets the body and Xena start chopping at bard's legs. They trade blows as the breathing grows heavier and exhaustion sets in. Both wanting to finish, they come together in a blinding exchange that does not resolve anything yet saps more of their waning strength. Gabrielle is fighting with one good eye and slight limp; Xena no longer has power behind her attacks as her screaming torso bothers her with each move. It is going to come down to who wants it more. Alas, to the disappointment of the spectators, an outside force intervenes.

Melosa, entering the circle, authoritatively

MELOSA

Stand down!

Queen Melosa strolls to Gabrielle and checks her bloody face. She shakes her head and Gabrielle puts her head down in defeat.

Cheers erupt and debts are paid. Xena walks over and hugs Gabrielle then wades into the collapsing crowd to bask in the applause and admiration from the AMAZONS.

Gabrielle shakes her head in regret, sending droplets of blood splattering in all directions. She slowly heads for Terreis' house, leaving the chaos behind her.

CUT TO:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TERREIS' HOUSE – MORNING

Gabrielle sits at the table, washing bowl with red-tinged water in front of her and open healer's kit next to it. One discarded, bloody linen and a wet one pressed to her face complete the picture.

Xena walks in, removing her armor and tossing it on the floor. She makes her way stiffly to the table and picks up a laid out length of gut and needle. Immediately, Gabrielle removes the towel, exposing a deep gash near the hairline. Her eye below it is swollen.

Xena, starting to stich the cut, hissing at the discomfort experienced with movement

XENA

You and your bloody shield; to Hades with that junk.

GABRIELLE

Something to remember me by, Warrior Princess.

Xena, grumbling

XENA

Most loved ones kiss goodbye; you tattoo your weapon design on their chest.

Gabrielle, continuing to poke the bear, ribbing

GABRIELLE

Don't want you forgetting me.

Xena, growling

XENA

Keep pushing bard and I will stitch an X between your eyebrows.

Gabrielle, sticking her tongue out

GABRIELLE

Sore winner.

Xena pouts in answer.

Gabrielle, switching to nice and reaching out, kindly

GABRIELLE

I got the stuff for your ribs ready and I promise to take extra good care of you.

Xena, brightening

XENA

Extra?

GABRIELLE

Very extra, with love on top.

Xena halts her work and lowering her eyes, she gazes deep into Gabrielle's.

Xena, with heartfelt emotion, sincerely and affectionately

XENA

The healer of my heart and soul.

FADE OUT:

TO BE CONTINUED

END OF PART ONE

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page