Slam Dunk

by

Mickey Minner

mickeyminner.com

 

Part 1

This story is a sequel to my stories , Fast Break and Footsteps (Ghost Towning) . You may want to read the preceding stories before reading this one. Fast Break and Footsteps (Ghost Towning) can be found on my on my website – mickeyminner.com

 


CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

 

After warm-ups, the Missoula coaching staff sat on a wooden bench in the back of the locker room assigned to the Cougars as they waited to return to the court for the pre-game announcements.

Sherry finished re-tying her shoes then straightened and turned toward the woman perched beside her. Eyes closed, Pat's head was tilted back to rest against the wall behind them.

Kelley re-checked her watch for the umpteenth time then stood up. “Coach…”

Pat opened her eyes to see Sherry studying her. “Are you ready for this?”

“More than ready,” Sherry said standing up.

“Kelley?” Pat asked as the assistant coach also stood.

“I'm ready, Coach.”

Pat joined her assistants. “Then, let's go.”

Walking toward the front of the locker room, the trio of coaches took note of their subdued players. A few were talking in low voices but most were sitting quietly watching their coaches.

“I hope you're just saving your energy for the game,” Pat addressed the players after taking a position near the closed locker room door.

“You know it, Coach,” Val responded and several of her teammates nodded. “This waiting is… yucky.”

Pat laughed. “Well said,” she told Val then turned to the other players. “Okay, let's get down to business.” She paused as the players shifted from their relaxed positions to leaning forward in their seats to focus on their coach's impending instructions. “I'm sure you all noticed that I put myself into the starting line-up for tonight. There's a reason for that change… and it's not my ego. We need to get off to a fast start and we're going to do that by making LA focus on Sherry and myself. I think we can anticipate LA double teaming the two of us if either has the ball. That means Val, Terry, and Pete… at least, one of you will be free. So be prepared for us to dump the ball off. Let's get a quick ten to twelve points on the board before LA figures out what's going on.”

“You got it, Coach,” Terry said resolutely.

“Next, I want everyone to be hitting the boards… both offense and defense. I don't want to give them more than one shot at a basket. So everybody stay near the key and rebound. Got it?”

“Got it, Coach,” came the shouted response.

“One more thing… and pay attention to this. We've all heard the trash talk from LA over the past several weeks and we all know it's escalated since we've been in Toledo. But trash talk doesn't win games… does it?”

“NO!!”

“Be prepared for the trash talk to continue on the court tonight. But just because they're doing it doesn't mean we have to respond to it… does it?”

“NO!!”

“Let them do all the talking they want… we're here to play ball.”

“That's right,” Pete shouted encouraging her teammates to add their own like opinions.

“Listen up.” Pat raised her voice to get the players' attention. “It's a good bet that Coach Buttram has given her players the green light to play dirty. So expect some extra bumping and pushing; especially under the basket. If it happens— I want NO retaliations. We are not going to hand LA this game at the free throw line. Got it?”

“Got it, Coach.”

“And stay away from the officials. No complaining to them. If you don't like something, you let me or Kelley know about it. We'll handle the officials. And we'll let the officials take care of LA. Got it?”

“Got it, Coach.”

“You better because if anyone gets called for retaliating, you're out of the game. I don't care if you get knocked to the floor or elbowed or grabbed. Ignore it and stick to our game plan.” Pat took the time to meet each player's eyes then continued. “We had a goal this year and we are one game away from reaching that goal. It's this close,” she said holding her right hand up with her thumb and index finger almost touching. “All we have to do is play the way I know we're capable of… stick to our game plan… work together… keep our eyes open for any opportunity to score. Right?”

“That's right, Coach,” Jade shouted. “Repeat! Repeat! Repeat!” Her teammates quickly added their voices to the chant.

After several moments, Pat held up her hands to quiet them. “Get ready,” she said reaching for the door handle then pausing to allow the players to pack closely together in front of the door. “Let's go out there and show everybody just exactly who the Missoula Cougars are,” she shouted opening the door.

The game was sold out and competing cheers for the two teams were already loudly ricocheting around the arena. Pete led the charge out of the locker room and, as they burst out of the corridor at a full run, the cries of Cougars, Cougars, Cougars grew to a deafening level.

#

“This looks to be another exciting game, Nancy.” The game announcer had to shout into his microphone to be heard over the arena's exuberant crowd.

“Yes, it does, Chad. Both these teams have made winning tonight their goal for the season. And they are pretty evenly matched having split their regular season meetings this year.”

“So you don't think one has the advantage over the other?”

“It's going to be close but I think Coach Calvin has molded together a very tight team this year. And Los Angeles is going to have a tough time trying to break through that.”

“Coach Buttram and her staff have been very vocal about their intentions to claim the trophy,” Chad countered.

“Sometimes, too vocal,” Nancy stated.

“One thing is for sure, there is no love lost between Los Angeles and Missoula. I don't think I talked to a single member of the LA organization these past few days where they didn't take the opportunity to do claim superiority over the Cougars… both at individual positions and as a team.”

“We'll find out tonight if they can back up all that talk.”

“Yes, we will.”

“One item of note,” Chad switched subjects. “Missing from the Cougar bench is rookie post player Brenda Jackson; who did not travel to Toledo with the team. Questions regarding Jackson have gone unanswered by both Coach Calvin and team owner, Martha Mac Christenson.”

“The absence of Jackson will have no effect on the Cougars tonight as she was a reserve player and not on the active roster,” Nancy stated. “Time for the team introductions, Chad .”

#

Sherry was the first player to be introduced and was running to the center of the court before the announcer finished saying her name. Bouncing in place, she waited impatiently for the announcer to introduce her counterpart for Los Angeles.

“Playing point guard for the Beachcombers, Pam Stevens,” the announcement echoed around the arena.

Sherry smiled as Stevens approached and held out her hand.

Stevens grabbed Sherry's hand. “Ready for another butt whipping?” she asked squeezing tightly.

Sherry's smile remained in place. “I guess you forgot, we beat you in LA,” she replied. Yanking her hand free, she spun about and ran to the Cougars end of the court to stand at the free throw line and wait for the rest of the starting lineup to join her. “What a jerk,” she muttered as Pete ran up to stand beside her.

“Hope you're not talking about me.”

“No, Stevens. She put a vice grip on my hand.”

“Your shooting hand,” Pete gasped.

“Yeah.”

“Damn, Coach was right about them coming out nasty. Did she do any damage?”

“Not really. She sure has small hands… I barely felt it.”

“So why are you rubbing it?”

Sherry winked at her teammate. “Cuz I want her to think she did.”

Pete laughed. “Oh, this game is gonna be fun.”

#

The officials checked with the scorers' table then the players to assure everyone was prepared for the start of the game.

Waiting anxiously inside the circle at mid-court, Val crouched as the official raised her hand, the ball resting on her finger tips. She sprang up as the ball rose into the air. Stretching out her arm, she reached the ball first and flipped it back over her head to Terry.

Terry fired a pass to Sherry then raced toward the Cougar basket with Val and Pete.

Seeing Stevens and the other LA guard closing on her, Sherry fired the ball to Pat.

Drawing the attention of two LA players, Pat dribbled across half court then angled toward the top of the key.

Val and Terry ran a crossing pattern at the bottom of the key; their actions being watched by a single LA post player.

Pete slipped into the key then turned her back to the basket.

At the top of the key, Pat faked a jump shot causing both of her guards to jump into the air. She fired a bounce pass under their legs to Pete.

Pete grabbed the ball, spun around and dumped an unguarded six foot jump shot into the basket. She immediately began back pedaling toward the opposite end of the court along with Pat and Sherry.

Val took a position at the end line to guard the inbound pass.

Terry dogged Stevens moving into position to receive the pass.

The LA player ran a couple of steps along the baseline then passed the ball toward Stevens.

Seeing Stevens react to the pass, Terry stuck her arm out. The ball hit the back of her hand then headed back toward Val.

Val snatched the ball up, took one long stride and put it up against the backboard for a quick score.

Coach Buttram screamed for a time out.

#

Cougars 4 – Beachcombers 0

 

“Dang it… I was hoping Buttram would give us a little more time before calling for time,” Pat grumbled reaching the Cougar bench with the other players.

“Four points in less than ten seconds isn't a bad start,” Sherry responded.

“I wanted more,” Pat told her. “Okay, gather up,” she addressed the team. “Buttram won't waste a timeout without making changes… so let's make some of our own. Dimchek, you're going in. Pete, Sherry… put on a half court press. Val, Terry, Dimchek… stay alert. If the ball gets knocked loose, get it into our basket.”

“Right, Coach,” Val said nodding.

“All right, let's go.”

Dimcheck ran to the scorers' table to report.

“Aren't you leaving the court early?” Kelley asked sitting beside the head coach.

“I want to keep Buttram guessing. Amie, Hudson,” Pat called to the players and motioned for them to move closer to the coaches. “Make sure you're paying attention to Stevens… you'll be rotating in for Sherry and Pete, so you need to know what her tendencies are.” She turned her focus back to the court after the two guards nodded.

The officials blew their whistles to restart play.

LA managed to get the ball into Stevens who turned to dribble down court.

Sherry picked Stevens up at mid-court keeping close to her as she maneuvered toward her basket.

Stevens passed off to the other LA guard then ran across the court cutting close to Sherry.

“Humpft,” Sherry grunted when Steven's elbow slammed into her side. Ignoring the pain, she hurried over to help double team the ball with Pete.

Pinned against the sideline, the LA guard looked to her teammates for help.

Stevens moved close.

Pete eased off the ball handler and toward Stevens.

Stevens ran to the ball as it was passed to her.

Leaping into action, Pete snagged the ball out of the air then charged back across mid-court.

Sherry raced down the side line.

Stevens chased after Pete.

As she reached the top of the key, Pete flipped the ball to Sherry then abruptly changed directions to move into Stevens' path and prevent her from reaching Sherry.

Sherry cut toward the basket for a lay-up. She was already racing back to mid-court when the ball dropped through the net. “Who's getting the whuppin' now?” she asked Stevens as she ran past.

“Hurry up,” Stevens snapped at her teammate moving to retrieve the ball.

Sherry and Pete took up positions at mid-court while Val, Terry, and Dimchek claimed spots around the key under the LA basket.

Already running, Stevens caught the inbound pass and turned toward the opposite end of the court heading straight at Sherry.

Sherry moved toward the charging LA player.

“Careful, Sherry,” Pete called out.

Within a step of Sherry, Stevens drove her left foot into the floor. Turning to her right, she spun completely around then continued down the court leaving Sherry behind her. She dribbled to the top of the key.

Dimchek moved out to block the LA guard.

As if she planned to run around Dimchek, Stevens stutter-stepped to the right, reversed direction and raced down the left side of the key.

Terry shifted to guard Stevens.

Stevens jammed her feet into the floor and popped into the air, the ball dropping through the net before Terry could react. Stevens trotted toward mid-court. “Let's see you do that,” she sneered at Sherry.

“You have to admit, she's got some good moves,” Sherry told her teammate preparing to make the inbound pass.

“Damn showoff,” Pete muttered stepping over the baseline.

#

Halftime -- Cougars 47 – Beachcombers 45

 

“After a rough start, Los Angeles finally settled down and started making baskets,” Chad said. “They've been matching point for point with Missoula.”

“But how long are the officials going to ignore the rough play. Kelley Stockley, the Cougars assistant coach, has been bending their ears every chance she gets about the Beachcombers cheap shots.”

“And Coach Buttram has been working just as hard to convince the officials that their play is hard but clean.”

“I think the officials have to start calling fouls or someone is going to get hurt,” Nancy said.

#

As the Cougars took advantage of the half time break, Pat talked with her assistants. “The score is a lot closer than I was hoping for… we have to figure out a way to make a run on them.”

“Buttram is making that hard to do,” Kelley said. “Every time we make a change, she counters it.”

“Maybe we should stop making changes,” Sherry offered.

“How will that help?” Kelley asked.

“Look, every time out, she makes changes and we make changes. So far, she has been better at guessing what we were planning… no offense, Coach.”

“You're right,” Pat agreed. “It's like she's been inside me head.”

Sherry carefully considered her next comment. “Or has inside information.”

Pat and Kelley stared at Sherry.

“Oh, no,” Pat protested, “you're not suggesting…”

Sherry nodded. “I am suggesting.”

“No,” Pat said shaking her head. “No way.”

“What am I missing?” Kelley asked.

“Jackson and Mandy,” Pat and Sherry answered in unison.

“What?” Kelley blurted.

“Think about it, Kelley,” Sherry started to explain. “Jackson was pissed when we figured out her intentions. And she was more than pissed when Mac told her she would not be a part of the team for tonight.”

“I'll bet her first phone call went to Mandy,” Pat offered.

“Who works in the Beachcombers' offices,” Sherry said. “And who would love to stick to Pat for… oh, hell, for a lot of reasons.”

“You think Mandy arranged for Jackson to spill our game plan to Buttram?” Kelley asked.

“I wouldn't put it past her,” Sherry replied. “Remember last year, Buttram had that secret arrangement with Dawn cooked up.”

“Oh, crap,” Kelley muttered.

Pat scratched her ear. “Let's slow down,” she told her assistants. “As much as Buttram has stooped to some pretty low levels in the past, I somehow doubt she'd even go this low.”

“What's the alternative?” Sherry asked.

“The alternative is I'm being out-coached,” Pat said bluntly. “Damn, I spent the past week telling the team to stick to what got us here. But instead, I spent the first half doing just the opposite. Maybe I need to stop trying to outsmart Buttram and do what I've been telling everyone else to do… stick to our game plan.” With a firm nod of her head, the head coach strode to the front of the locker room. “Alright, settle down,” she told the players as her assistant coaches joined her. “New game plan for the second half,” she said noting the looks of interest on their faces. “We stop trying to outguess LA. Nothing fancy. No tricks. No fancy plays. We run… we shoot… we rebound. How does that sound?”

“Sounds good to me, Coach,” Jade said. “I've been getting confused with all the switch-ups.”

“Me too,” Val reluctantly agreed. “Going back to basics sounds good.”

“It's what got us here. Everyone agree?” Pat asked then paused as heads nodded.

“What about their elbow throwing?” Terry asked. “My sides feel like they're one big bruise.”

“Kelley is working on the refs… hopefully, they'll start calling LA on it in the next half,” Pat said.

“Let's hope… I'm not sure how much more I can take of it,” Latesha stated.

“No retaliation,” Pat said harshly. “I don't care if we start to bleed... got it?”

“Got it, Coach,” came the unenthusiastic response.

“But one more elbow to my ribs and I may end up with a couple being broken,” Latesha informed her coach.

“Any of you having the same problem, see Lizzie before we go back out there. Maybe she can wrap some padding around you,” Pat told her players with a grin. “Look, I know it's tough… and I think we're all going to be pretty bruised up after tonight… but try to hang in with them. Maybe they wore themselves out in the first half and they'll take it easy on us now.”

“Yeah, like that's a real possibility,” Jade muttered holding an icepack against her shoulder.

A sharp rap on the locker room door was followed by someone calling out, “Time Cougars.”

Pat looked at her players. “Let's go put this game in the bag,” she said opening the door.

Pete again led the team out of the locker room at a full run.

“Kelley,” Pat said after the team disappeared down the corridor. “Start rotating players. I want fresh legs on the court at all times. And keep working the refs.”

“I'll try, Coach… But they've been pretty insistent that they aren't going to stop play. Championship game… so let the teams play.”

“We could always start to knock them around,” Sherry offered.

Pat shook her head. “Just keep trying, Kelley,” she repeated as they trotted down the corridor.

#

Sixty two seconds to play – Cougars 63 – Beachcombers 65

 

With Pete matching her steps a few feet to her left, Sherry dribbled toward mid-court guarded by Stevens.

Pat, Val, Latesha worked for position around the key.

Changing directions, Pete angled across the court between Sherry and the key.

Sherry dribbled between her legs to switch the ball from her right hand to her left.

Latesha shifted to the top of the key.

Sherry dribbled forward.

Pat slipped to the left side of the key.

Sherry fired the ball to Pat.

Pat caught the pass then, as a pair of LA players converged toward her, lobbed the ball across the court to an unguarded Pete.

Pete dribbled toward the basket and Stevens raced to cut her off.

Pete passed the ball back to Sherry forcing Stevens to reverse her steps.

Latesha slid to her right setting up a screen on Stevens.

Standing just outside the three point arc, Sherry squared to the basket and left the floor. The ball arched toward the basket and dropped through the net.

 

Forty seven seconds to play – Cougars 66 – Beachcombers 65

 

Buttram called for time. “Damn,” she snapped as her players gathered around her. “Gallagher is killing us,” she added looking up at the game clock. “Montgomery,” she picked out the tall post player who had spent most of the game on the bench. “You need to take her out.”

Stunned by the suggestion, Dawn shook her head. “No.”

“You took her out before, you can do it again,” Buttram insisted. “We have to get her out of the game… she's scored half their points.”

Dawn's mind flashed back to the prior season when she had undercut Sherry during a practice session. The ghastly memory of Sherry's head slamming against the court was as fresh as if it had just occurred. “I won't do that… never again. No!” she repeated forcefully.

Buttram glared at the resolute player.

“I'll do it,” Stevens volunteered. “I still have a foul to give.”

“”Montgomery—” Buttram began but was cut off by her point guard.

“I'll take care of Gallagher,” Stevens insisted. “Let's get the lead back then I'll do it.”

“We need a three pointer,” Buttram told the player.

The officials called the teams back to the court.

Stevens looked expectedly at her coach. “I can do it.”

After a moment of thought, Buttram said, “Do it.”

#

Stevens dribbled across mid-court then bounce passed to her teammate at the top of the key.

Sherry followed Stevens moving closer to the key.

Pat shifted to help Val double team the ball handler.

The LA player managed to get a pass off sending the ball back to Stevens.

Seeing the left side of the floor empty, Stevens planted her right foot to execute a sharp left turn and run to the open area of the court.

Sherry chased after Stevens.

Turning again to run along the sideline, Stevens quickly moved toward the baseline keeping her feet outside the three point arc. Just before Sherry reached her, she planted her feet then sprang into the air; the ball leaving her hand at the peak of her jump and dropping through the rim as she landed back on the floor. “Too late, fool,” she smirked at Sherry then trotted toward the opposite side of the court.

 

Thirty six seconds to play – Cougars 66 – Beachcombers 68

 

“Grumble, grumble, grumble,” Sherry muttered moving to take the inbound pass from Pete.

“We'll get it back,” Pete told her frustrated teammate as they ran toward mid-court.

Sherry bounced the ball over to Pete.

Pete dribbled across mid-court then fired a pass to Val at the top of the key.

Val was instantly double teamed but being taller than her two defenders had no trouble passing the ball back to Pete.

Pete faked left then took off to her right. She fired the ball to Latesha positioned near the bottom of the key.

Reaching for the ball, Latesha felt a hand on her back then a strong shove. Struggling to keep her balance, she stumbled away from the ball which was picked up by her defender and heaved toward the opposite end of the court.

Stevens, already racing toward her basket, ran under the ball then dribbled to the basket for a lay-up.

 

Thirty seconds to play – Cougars 66 – Beachcombers 70

 

Pete tossed the inbound pass to Sherry.

Sherry passed the ball down court to Pat moving across the center line.

Val and Latesha ran a crossing pattern through the key.

Pat dribbled to the top of the key then passed to Pete running down the left side of the court.

Sherry ran down the right side of the court then cut to run a slant through the middle of the key.

Stevens dogged Sherry.

Pete tossed the ball to Sherry.

Having no shot, Sherry fired the ball off to Pat.

Pete ran a slant toward the key while Sherry ran a loop to get behind her and position Pete between herself and Stevens.

Pat passed to Pete.

Pete turned her back to the basket and fired the ball to Sherry.

Stevens slammed into Pete.

Behind Pete's screen, Sherry rose into the air.

Placing a hand on Pete's shoulder, Stevens launched into the air.

Pete reached back to sweep Stevens hand off her shoulder causing the LA guard to lose her balance as she landed back on the court.

The ball hit the side of the rim then bounced high into the air.

Trying for the rebound, Sherry charged past Pete and Stevens.

Unable to regain her balance, Stevens stumbled and ended up sitting on the court as players ran around her.

Jumping for the ricocheting ball, Latesha tipped it back toward the basket.

The ball dropped through the net.

 

Twenty three seconds to play – Cougars 68 – Beachcombers 70

 

“Nice,” Sherry told Latesha as she started to backpedal away from the basket.

Pushing herself up from the floor, Stevens spotted Sherry's approach. She thrust her leg out.

“Sherry, look out,” Pat screamed seeing the danger.

The warning came too late and Sherry tripped over Steven's leg. Falling backward, Sherry crashed to the floor.

Whistles blew.

Shocked at seeing her lover's head hit the floor, Pat ran to her.

Kelley charged up to the closest official. “That's a flagrant foul,” she screamed at the woman who was already in the process of signaling the more serious violation against Stevens.

Pat knelt down beside Sherry. “You okay?” she asked hesitantly.

“Yeah,” Sherry insisted. “Get me up.”

“Maybe you should let Lizzie check you out,” Pat cautioned.

“Get me up,” Sherry ordered. “If Lizzie comes out here, I'll have to leave the game. I've got free throws coming.”

Pete offered a hand to Sherry. “I'm not sure this is a good idea,” she said pulling her friend up.

“Whoa,” Sherry said after standing. “Stop the room from spinning, will ya?”

“You should stay down,” Pete told the woozy player.

“No way. I'm taking my shots,” Sherry persisted.

“You sure you're okay?” the official asked.

“I'm fine,” Sherry responded even as she moved unsteadily to the free throw line.

“Sherry,” Pat started.

“I'm fine,” Sherry snapped.

“Take her out or back off coach,” the official told Pat.

“Dammit,” Pat muttered backing away.

The flagrant foul meant Sherry would shoot two free throws with no other players in the key. It also meant her team would retain possession of the ball whether she made her shots or not.

Sherry accepted the ball when the official handed it to her then she looked up at the basket. ‘Uh oh,' she thought seeing three rims circling about one another, ‘I may be in trouble here.' Looking down at her feet, she took a deep breath trying to calm her protesting head. A single bounce then she looked up and sent the ball toward the basket.

The ball hit the backboard then bounced to the side of the rim and dropped into the net.

Getting the ball again, Sherry again looked down at her feet; this time closing her eyes. ‘I've done this a million times,' she told herself as she visualized making the shot. She raised her head, focused on the whirling rim, and shot.

The ball hit the back of the rim then bounced off to the side and dropped to the floor.

“Time,” Pat shouted.

 

Nineteen seconds to play – Cougars 69 – Beachcombers 70

 

“She has to come out, Coach,” Lizzie demanded as soon as the obviously disoriented Sherry reached the bench.

“No,” Sherry barked.

“That's the agreement,” Lizzie insisted.

Pat looked at the trainer who glared back at her. She looked at Sherry who looked pleadingly back at her. With a sigh, she looked at the rest of the players who looked hopefully at her. “I need her in there,” she finally said.

“Pat, you agreed—”

“Dammit, Lizzie, I need her on the court. If I take her out, they have one less shooter to worry about.”

“She can barely stand,” Lizzie continued her heated protest.

“I'm fine,” Sherry declared after sucking down half a bottle of water. She shook her head vigorously then stood up. “See… I'm not dizzy anymore,” she lied to the irate trainer.

Pat placed a hand on Lizzie's shoulder. “I just need her on the court for one more play,” she told the concerned woman.

“You're putting her in danger,” Lizzie insisted.

Knowing the trainer was speaking the truth, Pat turned to Sherry. “It's your decision.”

“I'm in,” Sherry quickly stated.

“You're both crazy,” Lizzie said then retreated back to the end of the bench.

“Hudson, Dimchek, you're in… Latesha, Val, you're out,” Pat informed her players.

“Coach,” Latesha protested.

“Trust me,” Pat assured the worried player. “Listen up… with Hudson and Dimchek, we have our strongest shooters on the floor. But LA is going to think either Sherry or I will take the winning shot… and, most likely, they'll focus on me— glory hog that I am. Here's what we're going to do… Dimchek, you do the inbound. Get the ball to Pete. Sherry and I will be working the left side of the key… I'll go low, Sherry will go high. Pete, make a show of wanting to pass off to Sherry or me. Hudson, I want you to fade over to the other side of the key. If they're focused on Sherry and me, you should be open. Pete will get you the ball. Hudson , when you have it, shoot it .”

“I need your team on the court,” the official told Pat.

“Let's go.”

When Hudson and Dimchek rushed to the scorers' table to report into the game, Buttram called for a time out.

“Okay, gather up,” Pat told her players. “Listen, there's probably going to be time on the clock for LA to go down and score after we do. We have to make sure they don't. So after Hudson makes her basket, choose a player and stick on them like glue. I don't want them getting the ball past mid-court. Got it?”

“Got it, Coach!”

“Good.”

“Coach?” Hudson said nervously.

“Yes.”

“Um… are you sure I should be the one to take the shot?”

Pat smiled at the rookie. “Hudson, if I wasn't sure, you'd still be on the bench,” she said reassuringly. “That shot is well within your range. I know it and your teammates know it. Not one of them is questioning you taking it.”

“That's right, kid,” Pete told the rookie. “It's your shot.”

“Don't question yourself,” Pat calmly told Hudson . “You know you can make that shot… so make it.”

Hudson nodded determinedly. “Okay, Coach.”

Pat placed her hand in the center of the huddle. “Cougars,” she shouted as soon as her hand was covered by her players.

“Cougars!!”

When the huddle broke, Pat trotted onto the court with Sherry. “No heroics,” she told her point guard. “All you need to do is make LA believe that you're getting the ball and taking the shot… okay?”

Sherry nodded.

Dimchek stood at the side of the court waiting for the officials to start play. Her teammates were lined up in a single row opposite her with LA players intermixed among them.

The official beside Dimchek blew her whistle then handed the ball to the Cougar.

Dimchek slapped the ball sending her teammates into motion.

Sherry took a cautious look behind her then backpedaled away from the rest of her teammates.

Pat and Hudson ran toward the basket.

Pete took a pair of steps to her left then changed directions and ran back toward Dimchek.

Dimchek passed the ball to Pete.

Pete dribbled to the top of the key, her eyes switching between Pat and Sherry.

Stevens was guarding Pat.

Standing at the three point line, Sherry called for the ball.

Stevens hesitated then ran toward Sherry.

Waving her hand in the air, Pat sliced through the key screaming, “Give me the ball.”

Three LA players collapsed on Pat.

Pete spun around and faked a pass to Sherry.

Sherry stretched out her arms as if expecting the ball to arrive in her hands.

Stevens glanced over her shoulder to see how close the ball was. Instead, she saw Pete pass to a completely unguarded Hudson. “Get her,” she yelled pointing across the court.

Hudson caught the pass, looked up at the basket and fired.

The ball hit the side of the rim, bounced up against the backboard, then dropped back down onto the rim.

Pat, Pete, Hudson, and Dimchek ran to establish rebounding positions.

The ball rolled a few inches around the basket's top before dropping inside the rim to roll completely around the metal circle only rise for a moment back to the top of the rim.

Everyone in the arena held their breath.

After a slight wobble, the ball finally fell… dropping into the net.

 

Eight seconds to play – Cougars 69 – Beachcombers 70

 

“Time!” Buttram yelled over the cheering Cougar fans.

Pete ran over to Hudson. “Great shot, rookie,” she said lifting the player off her feet.

“It almost didn't go in,” Hudson exclaimed after being returned to the floor.

“Ah,” Pete said draping her arm across the rookie's shoulders as they walked to their bench, “it was just putting on a show for the crowd.”

“It about made me wet my pants,” the rookie admitted as her other teammates added their praise to Pete's.

“Listen up,” Pat shouted to quiet her celebrating players. “I only have one thing to say… DEFENSE.”

“Got it, Coach!”

“Oh, and one more thing… great shot, Hudson,” Pat added grinning at the rookie. “Let's go. Oops, forgot something,” she said looking at Sherry. “You sit. Val you're in.”

“I can—” Sherry began to protest.

“Sit… you can sit,” Pat said firmly. “No arguments.”

“Yes, Coach,” Sherry yielded.

#

Stevens stood close to the end line waiting for the inbound pass.

Pat, Hudson, Pete, Dimchek, and Val had all taken up positions along the mid-court line. As they waited, they pointed out the LA player they would guard when play resumed—Pat pointed at Stevens.

The official blew her whistle and the inbound pass was quickly thrown toward Stevens.

Just as the ball was about to hit her outstretched hands, Stevens saw it snatched out of the air.

Pat wrapped her arms around the ball then stood in front of the LA player as the clock ticked down.

Batting at Pat's arms, Stevens tried to knock the ball out of her grasp.

Refusing to budge, Pat glared down at the shorter point guard. As the game-ending buzzer sounded overhead, she leaned in close to Stevens. “You're a worthless cheap shot player,” she snarled.

“Screw you,” Stevens snapped.

“Not a chance,” Pat hissed as an official stepped between them.

#

To Be Continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Autor's Page