Earth in Turmoil

by Psyche_b

Go To Part 1

The adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, So Far From Home and The Voyage Home continues in Earth in Turmoil.

Feedback: gwieniechi@yahoo.com

Chapter 12

The storm blew itself out leaving low lying areas flooded from the high seas. Destruction from falling trees and debris tossed around by the high winds was wide spread. After hours of working to clean up the flooding at the base, Kacey sent a notice giving everyone possible the day off. Those, like Security who did not get the first day off were told to take the day after.

As soon as the sun was up, she, Kate, Rhea and Bella, left the base with their Security escorts next to them. They flew low over the storm damage. Flood waters had started to recede, but the road to the base was still closed. The water was calm and no longer roiling and crashing against the land.

"It looks like the road crews will have their work cut out for them as them try to put all the sand back on the beach." Bella stated.

"Until then the road will be closed to all traffic, including all the flyer parts." Kacey said. "How are we set for parts?"

"We are in good shape unless it takes a month to clear the roads, then we may run into a problem." Bella responded.

"Did the brass leave?" Rhea asked.

"Before we did." Kate answered. "Admiral Tacher said he will see us in the office Monday."

"Then we have been ordered to take the day off also?"

"We have. And with the weekend we can get the storm damage cleaned up."

Rhea landed the shuttle to let them off. Before they left she said, "if you need help cleaning give us a call."

"Will do. Thanks for the lift."

They ran to meet their families as the flocked onto the lawn. The escort hovered until Kacey waved them off. The pilot wiggled the wings and left. They hugged and kissed their families. Kacey waved to the Security Guards who waited for them on the porch. They saluted which both Kate and Kacey returned.

"I see that you were able to convince them to come in out of the rain." Kacey joked.

"They took quite a bit of convincing, but we wore them down. Especially when Patricia threatened to pull them in by their ears."

"Mom?" Kate exclaimed. "Tell me you did not do that?"

"After raising the two of you, a few tough soldiers were a piece of cake."

"How did you do it, really?" Kacey asked.

"I gave them a choice. They could take their chances out in the storm, dodging debris and possibly lightning bolts, and being crushed by a falling tree, or come in where it was dry and have a home cooked meal."

"Apologies, General, but she is too persuasive. We could not turn down that offer."

"Bribery will get you every time. Relax gentlemen, I knew they were going to do that. You showed great intelligence by accepting."

"Thank you, General." They stated and returned to their posts.

"Let's check out the damage to your house." Kacey stated as she headed towards their parent's home.

"Hold it right there young lady." Patricia ordered which stopped her. "Did either of you have anything besides coffee this morning?" They remained silent. "Just as I thought. Inside now, both of you. Then you can go look at the house."

The sisters looked at each other, shrugged and followed Patricia into the house.

---------------------- --

Two ladders leaned against the house. Kacey stood on the roof of the two story building as she stapled a board across one end of the large tarp. As soon as it was secured, she pushed the tarp over the edge where Liam and Anya waited to secure the edges.

"That should hold her lass." Liam yelled up to Kacey. "At least until the insurance adjuster comes."

"Do you want to run a few slats across the tarp to really hold it Dad?" Kacey yelled back. "There are more slats in the garage."

'Do ye think we need them?"

"It would not hurt, just in case another tropical storm decides to visit."

"Sure then as long as ye two are feeling ambitious."

Kacey swung her legs over the side and climbed down the ladder. She jogged to the garage and emerged carrying several long slats that she placed on the ground.

"Are you sure we can not move the tree out of the way? It would make closing up this hole a hell of a lot easier."

"The insurance adjuster said to leave it."

"Then we leave it. There has to be a way to tighten up the tarp to keep the critters out."

"What about some fencing? We have some left over that we can wedge around the tree."

"That might work, Anya."

Anya left to get the fence while Liam and Kacey put the slats in place.

---------------------------

Flyers and rovers travelled by all the storm damage. Several slowed down to gawk at the activity.

"What have we heard from our friend?" Wilhelm asked.

"All he was able to say was that they were testing a new flyer and enhanced shuttles."

"That much we knew sir."

"We need to move up the time table."

"Are you sure? We know nothing about these flyers. Our people have not been able to get inside that hanger."

"Yes it is time. We have waited long enough. Call the leaders in for a meeting on Sunday."

"Understand sir. It is too bad that tree fell on the wrong house and that bitch was not at home."

"Do not lose focus now, Wilhelm, you will have your chance for revenge. Make the call as soon as we return to the bunker."

"Yes sir."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Kacey lay in their substitute bed in the office as another long day came to an end. Two days of little of no sleep was quickly catching up to her. First a night spent worrying about the test and going over every contingency, followed by a night of working to contain the flooding caused by the storm and then working all day clearing up the storm damage at home had her feeling beat up. She fought the pull of sleep while waiting for Natalia to finish cleaning up after nursing the baby. Closing her eyes against the sting of fatigue she quickly succumbed to sleep. Natalia entered and found Kacey asleep. She smiled as she turned out the light. She leaned over and kissed Kacey's cheek before laying her head on the strong shoulder. She felt the strong arm reflexively pull her closer.

From what Kate had told her, Kacey stayed out long after she sent them back to the cottages for rest. Then working all day securing the hole and cleaning the yard, before moving the desk to set up their sleep area, and caused her stamina to run out.

Kacey never felt Natalia lay next to her. She even managed to sleep through the babies cries for food. She was till asleep when Natalia carried a cup of coffee in, late the next morning.

Natalia leaned over and kissed her awake. Kacey's eyes opened slowly.

"Good morning." Natalia said.

"Morning my love. Is that coffee I smell?" She sniffed the air.

"It is. We thought I needed to check to see if you were still alive."

"Why?"

"Because silly it is almost ten hundred hours and you were still asleep. Add that to the fact you never moved when I came to bed last night and barely stirred when the girls shrieked for their two and six hundred hours feedings."

"Damn, I am sorry Talia."

"No apologies." Natalia ordered. "Kate told us you never made it back to your quarters during the storm and I know you were up most of the night before the test.. After all the work you did yesterday, your body could only take just so much. Your mom helped with the babies and said to let you sleep. Now drink your coffee, hit the shower then come out and have something to eat. Then you need to call General Millhouse. He called earlier."

"What? You should have woke me."

"Nope, he said to let you sleep and that it was not an emergency."
------------------------------------------

"Good morning Sir." Kacey said as the general's face appeared on the video screen. I apologize..."

"Do not finish that sentence General O'Malley. I have the reports from the crises at the base and how many hours you put in so do not apologize for trying to catch up on some sleep."

"Yes sir."

"The reason for this call is that we looked over the footage from the test flight. Even though the test was cut short, the flyers behaved exceedingly well. President Cord is pleased and has given the go ahead for another three dozen ships. The original twenty four has increased to sixty with the possibility of that number increasing. We also have the approval to expand the facilities and bring in additional workers."

"What sort of time frame are we looking at sir?"

"Expansion will begin next week and is expected to take six to eight weeks to complete. Once the expansion is complete you will be able to bring in at least another one hundred workers."

"I will get started on a list of personnel immediately."

"Also, President Cord read your report and request for the flood wall and has approved your request. The wall will be built according to your recommendations."

"After seeing the shield bow in from the force and weight of the water, I knew we had to improve the safety of the base." Kacey stated. "I did not get the chance to thank you and Admiral Tacher for your help that night."

"Nonsense, no thanks are necessary." He responded. "Now that the pleasantries are out of the way, we need to schedule a meeting in the administration offices for Monday morning. Nine hundred hours."

"Problems sir?"

"Possibly. I will know more by the end of the weekend."

"I will be there sir."

"You are still waiting for you escort correct?"

"Yes sir. I would not go against that particular order. My wife not to mention my mother would have my head" Kacey joked.

General Millhouse laughed. "Good to hear you say that. Enjoy your weekend, Kacey."

"Will do sir."

The screen went dark.

------------------------
The large room was filled with compound leaders. All eyes were focused on the door as they waited for the leaders to enter. Talk that was sporadic and hushed completely stopped when the door opened.

The tall man strode in with Wilhelm and Wilson close . Long legs and arms moved easily. His face was tanned from years in the sun, but his eyes were cold and dead as he gazed around the table. He held up a folder.

"What I have here is a copy of the report on the new flyers they are building. According to our agent these super ships have capabilities beyond our wildest thoughts. We must act soon before more of these ships are flight ready. You all have had weeks to prepare your line of attack. You should all have your target areas picked out. If anyone is not ready to move, then you are not the right choice for leader. Are you all prepared?" Nods were returned around the room. "Good. The attack will start at midnight, or zero hundred hours for our former military people, ten days from today. Your orders are this. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT harm any children. They can be retrained to our ways. Women are another matter. Do what you will short of killing. We will use them as an example to all other women. The good looking women will be brought here and trained to serve us, their masters. Kill only if necessary. Men who fight against us to foolishly protect the women, forfeit their lives. Questions?"

"What of those other three women?"

"We have a well trained special group that will enter the Presidential Compound and bring the President here where she will be executed as a traitor to men. As for the other two, there are other hand picked groups that will capture them and also bring them here to be punished and if needed executed."

"So they will be killed?"

"Eventually. They all have information that will help our cause. We will have that information whether they want to give it to us or not. We have a serum that has been developed that will have them telling us everything. Once we have finished having some fun with them, that is. Return to your areas and report readiness by fifteen hundred hours seven days from today." The room emptied quickly until just the three remained. "You will each pick an area and over see the action. Send people you trust completely to the other areas. I want full documentation. Record events if you can, so that we can show those idiots in charge that we mean business."

They both nodded and left the room.

-----------------------------------

General Millhouse sat at his desk in his office in the Administration building, looking over the reports that were sent to him weekly when his computer chimed. He looked up from the folder and opened the special channel. He quickly read the short message, which caused his normal tanned face to pale. He picked up his special phone. He typed several commands into the computer and hit send as he spoke.

"Charles, I need to see you immediately." He said without preamble. Within minutes his door opened.

"You sounded worried Tuck, what is going on?"

General Millhouse turned the monitor so that he could read the message.

"Attack planned for zero hundred hours in ten days. Locations of targets in code. Will contact as soon as the code is broken. President in danger at any time. Warn other officers."

"Warn other officers must mean our two friends." Admiral Tacher read.

"Yes they and their families must be warned and moved to a secure location." General Millhouse answered.

"The base is set up for this and is the logical choice. We know there are traitors here in the administration complex, so here is out."

"I agree. We contact the President first then go see General O'Malley and Admiral Jensen. This sort of information cannot be made on a video call. It must be face to face."

"Plus with her family close by, Kacey may not want to skin us for even suggesting she go into hiding."

"Not hiding Charles. We are asking that she take her family to a secure location and..."

"You know her Tuck, in her mind that would be hiding."

"True. She has more courage than aught to be allowed. There are days when I wish we could bottle whatever chemical or hormone that produces that courage."

"We would be rich men. But let's contact the President first."

"I am waiting to hear back from her. She was unavailable earlier." The computer beeped and the Presidential seal came on. "This is her now." President Cord's face came into focus. "Good afternoon Madame President. We apologize for disturbing you, but information has come to us that you and your family need to be aware of. Those threats against you have surfaced again. The attack is planned for ten days from now."

"General, those were more than threats. There was an attempted incursion into the Presidential compound two hours ago. Security and the military personnel stopped them."

"Was anyone hurt?" Admiral Tacher asked.

"Most of the attackers are dead or wounded and captured. There were a few who retreated. Six security were wounded. I have been advised by my cabinet to go to a safe location until this is over. Do you happen to know of such a place General?" She smiled for the first time since the call started.

"I do indeed Ma'am. The hyper secure section of the base was designed for just this emergency. There are plenty of houses for you and whatever staff you bring with you. I will have crews prepare all the buildings and stock the pantries with food and what ever supplies that are needed."

"We will be leaving within the next few hours. Will you contact General O'Malley?"

"We are going to see her after this call. She and Admiral Jensen are also targets and we want to move them and their families to the base. I only hope she is as receptive to the idea of relocating as you are Ma'am."

"We all must do whatever we can to protect our loved ones. Good luck General. Feel free to tell her that relocation is a direct order from her Commander in Chief if you need to."

"Thank you Madam President. We will meet you at the base and make sure you get settled."

"We shall see you there in about six hours General." The screen went dark.

Both men stood, picked up their hats and left the office.

------------------------------

Kacey sat next to Kate as they all relaxed after the girls lessons had finished. They sipped their drinks and watched the activity of the children.

"Tell me, how are they doing? Their playing sounded different, not as enthusiastic as before."

"The girls are doing exactly as I expected them to do. In space, diversions were few, so they put all their attention in learning music. Here on Earth they have a lot more to pull their attention. The girls are still progressing, just not as fast as before. Do you have to get on them to practice?"

"Not at all."

"Then don't worry. If they want to quit learning, they will tell me. Not to mention, they get music in school."

"You are the music expert."

"Speaking of that, lass," Liam said from the couch. '"Your agent called today."

"Not again."

"Aye, he said the recording company really wants..."

"I know what they want dad."

"Would it be so bad?"

"What are you talking about?" Kate asked.

"My agent showed the recording company footage of Anya, dad and I singing that song, and they want us to record it." Kacey told them. "He also wants me to be at the store the day the disc goes on sale to sign autographs. I had it written into my contract that other than at the restaurant, there will be no public appearances. He thinks being present could boost sales."

"He does have a point lass. Let the buying public see that you are a real person."

"Hell dad people may not even buy it."

"I doubt that Kacey. You should hear how many times a day it is played on the radio."

"I would have to rearrange my whole schedule just to maybe squeeze in thirty minutes. No way could I get an hour."

"What if you schedule something for next weekend when you are at the restaurant?" Patricia asked.

"That could work. I will call my agent in the morning to set something up there." Kacey agreed. The doorbell rang. She went to open the door. "Are we expecting company?" Natalia shook her head no. Kacey opened the door and snapped to attention. "General." She saluted.

"At ease, Kacey. Is Admiral Jensen here also?"

"Yes sir she is." He whistled shrilly. Admiral Tacher joined him. Again Kacey snapped to attention. He waved her down. "Please come in."

Kate jumped to her feet. He motioned her to sit.

"We need to talk to you both." General Millhouse stated.

"We will leave you to talk." Natalia said.

"Please, your Majesty, stay. You all need to hear what we have to say. We just need to wait until the rest arrive."

"The rest sir?"

"Yes, I have asked Colonel Anderson and both Commander Torinos to join us."

"Then we need more chairs. Dad would you handle the drinks?"

"Of course lass. Sirs?"

"I would not turn down a scotch if you have it." The General said.

"Make that two."

The door chimed again. Kacey opened the door to admit Mike, Rhea and Bella.

"What is going on? Admiral Tacher..."

"Is in the living room. Now that you are here we can all find out."

Once everyone was seated, Admiral Tacher stood. "Earlier today we were notified that an attack is planned on several locations around the country. We plan on evacuating as many people as possible and replacing them with trained service people. We have to do this switch quietly so we do not tip our hand."

"Do you want additional air and ground support with evacuations, General?" Kacey asked.

"Not at this time, Kacey. We may need that support eventually, but as I said, we need to keep this quiet."

"There is more . A few hours ago, Black Ops forces attempted an incursion into the Presidential compound to assassinate the President."

"Are they all right?" Kate asked.

"Yes, the forces were stopped before they made it to the President's residence. We are waiting to interrogate the survivors."

"What do you need us to do?"

"This is the hard part. We need you to relocate to the base."

"Is that where the President is heading?"

"Yes Ridgefield is the safest place in the country if not the world. President Cord, her family and several of her Cabinet are in transit and will arrive in the morning." Admiral Tacher answered.

"The President never travels with less than a dozen people. What do you need me to do?" Kacey asked.

"Not only you Kacey, every person here, needs to relocate."

"Excuse me General , but we have a business to run." Patricia protested.

"We will make sure you get safely to and from the restaurant daily, Mrs. O'Malley. And make sure you have protection whenever any of you are away from the base."

"What are ye not telling us General?" Liam demanded.

"Liam, both Kate and Kacey were mentioned as targets also. We want you all to relocate because we know the fastest way to get to either of them is to go after the ones they love."

"Dad I agree with General Millhouse." Kacey stated which made everyone look at her in disbelief. "All non combatants need to be on the base."

"Consider yourself a non combatant also General."

Kacey jumped to her feet. "You have to be joking sir." She yelled. "You expect me to just run and hide. That..."

"I will make it an order if I have to." General Millhouse stated quietly as he stood and faced Kacey.

"Kacey could I talk to you privately?" Natalia asked softly.

For several heart beats, Kacey stared at the general before nodding. She turned away and followed Natalia into the office.

"General..." Kate started.

"Kate do we need to have a private talk also?" Anya asked.

"Not at all, Anya. I was just going to ask General Millhouse when we should be ready to leave and will our homes be safe?"

"You homes will be under constant watch. You should be on the base as soon as possible." He answered. "Your girls can attend the base school. There is also an excellent day care facility, if you need one. Liam we have work crews coming tomorrow to fix the storm damage."

"How long will we have to be on the base, General?" Anya asked.

"For as long as necessary, I am afraid. We hope it will not be long, but there is no set timetable on something like this." Admiral Tacher answered. "Kacey is the one we expect to fight us on this move."

"Have faith Admiral. Let Natalia work her magic." Kate joked. "If anyone can make her agree to this move it is Natalia."

"Unfortunately, we do not have an answer to that Commander. It could be anywhere from a week for a few months."


To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page