Earth in Turmoil

by Psyche_b

Go To Part 1

The adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, So Far From Home and The Voyage Home continues in Earth in Turmoil.

Feedback: gwieniechi@yahoo.com

 

Chapter 31

The May sun shone brightly in the clear blue sky with a soft breeze that blew in off the ocean help keep the temperatures comfortable. The warm temperatures gave notice of summer's early arrival.

Kacey strode across the lawn that separated their house from Kate's. After many months of living on the base they we able to move back to their homes.

The only sign of the serious injuries she received months before was a slight limp that the doctors stated may straighten out in time. She was finally released from her weekly therapy sessions and the doctors allowed her to resume full duty with the exception of heavy lifting. A twenty five pound limit was in place, but being more of a desk jockey that was no problem. Her flying privileges has been restored which made her happy.

What made her the happiest was being able to walk in their front door to see her family waiting for her in their living room. The love for her wife and children filled her heart. Their older children played on the floor while the younger twins lay in their chairs and batted at the toys in front of them. Natalia sat watching them. She turned when the door opened and smiled. The sight took Kacey's breath away.

"Now that is a beautiful sight." She said.

"Sweet talker. What did Kate want?"

"Kate?" Kacey asked as she went to the younger twins.

"Your sister? The one who needed to talk to you, but could not say over the computer. About my height, auburn hair, that Kate?"

"Ha, ha, ha, I know who Kate is silly."

"Is anything wrong?"

"No not at all. It was just work stuff. The next group of hot shots will be coming in next month and she just needed to give me an update."

"Can you sit for awhile? Or is there anything you need to do before you have to leave?"

"Of course I can sit with you." Kacey sat next to Natalia.

"Jordan called to confirm that she will be here at nineteen hundred hours."

"Good. The limo will be here to pick you and Anya up at nineteen thirty."

"Are you nervous about tonight?"

Kacey took a deep breath that she released slowly. "As strange as it sounds, I am a little. That is why I called a rehearsal before we open."

"I put your blue tux and everything else you need in the garment bag in the hall closet. Do not forget to take it. You will be great tonight."

"It is not just that."

"What is bothering you?"

"It is the fact that the whole damn thing will be recorded. You remember how I hated having my every move recorded when we were is space." Natalia nodded. "This will be the same thing. It will be a circus."

"Considering the President and First Lady, some of the committee members of the Marcus Islands, the doctors and brass that will be there, then yes it will be a circus. Maybe we should put on clown makeup."

Kacey laughed. "That would clash with your dress."

"That is true." Natalia admitted. "I have to say I am certainly happy to be back home and back to our normal routine."

"Honey I do not think for one minute that our routine could ever be called normal."

"What would you call our lives?"

Kacey thought for a minute before she answered. "Tightly controlled chaos comes to mind."

"You goof. You know I am so happy and content, I may even be civil to General Millhouse. Do you have time to eat lunch with us before you shower?"

"It would be my pleasure."

"Good you get Caitlyn and Patrick to the table while I get our lunch."

-------------------------
The restaurant was decorated for the party that was planned for that night. Three covered rectangles rested on easels next to the stage. Camera crews walked through the dining area checking lights and sound levels. The cameras were set up along the walls out of the way of the invited guests. That was Kacey's compromise to fulfill the recording contract.. As well as her demand that none of the guests be bothered.

Unfortunately in order to reach that agreement she had to promise to sit down for an extensive on camera interview at a later date.
The rehearsal ended with Kacey's final instructions.

"The first dance will be right after Talia opens those three gifts. I will start the dance with her, then at the bridge of the song, Anya and dad will bring Kate and mom to finish the song. Kenny was the sound all right?"

"It was."

"Then take off this mike until I get changed. No one needs to hear my every word at this time. Remember when I hold up three fingers that will be your cue to turn on Dad's and Anya's mikes."

"Will do boss." He walked over and unclipped the mike from her shirt.

Kacey checked the time. "Everyone grab something to eat before we get changed."

The musicians put down their instruments and left the stage to the tables where Patricia had food ready for them. Kacey walked around the room checking that every item was where it was supposed to be. She slowly made her way to the covered easels. He hands itched to lift the cover on the largest one. The one Kate would not let her see. Even going as far as extracting a promise that she would not peak. Kacey heard footsteps behind her. She turned to see Kate walking towards her with two cups of coffee.

"I thought for a minutes that you would sneak a look." She said as she handed over one of the cups."

"I wanted to." Kacey admitted. "Oh before things get crazy," She reached into her pocket and removed a credit slip that she handed to Kate.

Kate looked at the paper. "No, little sister, that is way too much. Especially when you have not seen the main one."

"Kate it is worth it to me. In fact if Talia's portrait is half as good as the children's that is not enough. Take it please."

"Alright I accept. I do have to warn you. Natalia's picture is not exactly as that picture you provided me with."

"What do you mean? Did you give her two heads or six eyes?"

"Nothing like that. There are no additional body parts."

"Then there is nothing to worry about."

"I will remind you of that comment later." Kate smiled. "Mom sent me over to get you. She has food ready for you."

"She is still trying to fatten me up."

"True. Then we will have to get changed before President Cord's security comes in to check the place. You know how they are. I would rather not have them walk in on us changing."

"Good point Kate."

"Oh and it looks like the news crews are outside also."

"Great. Hopefully they are here for the President and not me." She complained " At least the only ones who know about the party are family. Talia will not find out watching the news."

Kate nodded as they walked to the back.

----------------------------------
Security entered the restaurant and searched every room for hidden dangers or threats. There were a few tense minutes when the electronic devices they all carried picked up the transmitter Kacey wore for the lapel mike. After reprogramming the frequency to allow the transmitter, they all released a sigh of relief.

Kacey did a sound check from every corner of the main room. The doors opened as she finished the check. "Kill the mike until I need it Kenny." She ordered.

"Gotcha boss." The tech replied as he shut the mike off.

The first guest to enter were the President and First Lady. Kate and Kacey snapped to attention and saluted their Commander in Chief which caused the President to laugh as she returned their salute.

"Even when not in uniform, the military still comes through." The First Lady stated with a smile.

"How does it feel to be back General?"

"To be honest ma'am, it is a little scary. But most of that is due to the real reason for this party."

"There is more than one reason?"

Kacey looked around the room to make sure no one was close enough to hear. "I was in the hospital when Talia's birthday came, so this is a belated birthday party for her."

"That is probably the best reason I have heard General." Samantha Cord said.

"Unfortunately this whole party will be recorded. I could not get past that stipulation in my contract."

"That is fantastic news." The First Lady said. At Kacey's puzzled look she continued. "That means no talking business tonight, Meghan."

"Dad is overseeing the bar and Mom is in the kitchen. They will both be happy to see you." Kate told them.

"I heard you gave my security a scare earlier."

"I did. The mike transmitter that I am wearing set off those little gizmos they all carry. That has been fixed. Getting shot by security would have put a real damper on the party." Kacey joked as they walked to the bar.
.
More guest arrived. Outside security checked each name off the lists they were given. Soon the restaurant was filled with their invited guests. In addition to the President, military brass, mingled with doctors and friends.

Kacey signalled for her mike to be turned on when she heard that Anya and Natalia were on their way. "Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please. Natalia and Anya are on their way. I ask that you do not yell surprise or wish her a happy birthday at this time. Once dinner has finished, the cake will be rolled out. Thank you for your co-operation on this surprise." She made a slashing motion to kill her mike.
-------------------------
Dinner was finished when Kacey took to the stage with the orchestra members behind her. "May I have everyone's attention please. Now that dinner has finished, I hope you all left room for dessert, as we have a very special one planned. Talia would you join me on stage please?" Kate gave Natalia a small push. She waited until Natalia walked onto the stage. "During my recent incapacitation, I missed a very important milestone in my beloved wife's life. "In March this lovely lady by my side celebrated her thirtieth birthday. She forgave me for my lapse, but I wanted to mark the occasion. Can we dim the lights please?" The lights lowered as the large cake was wheeled out with the candles lit. The guests applauded as Natalia kissed Kacey.

"You are such a punk, but I love you for it. Thank you."

Kacey smiled. "You are very welcome my love. Now get down there and blow out those candles before they set off the fire suppressors." Natalia elbowed her partner. "Besides you have gifts to open before the music can begin." Hand and hand they walked off the stage to the cake. "Make a wish sweetheart."

"Only if you help me blow the candles out." Kacey nodded. Natalia closed her eyes, took a deep breath and together they blew out the candles. The cake was wheeled away to be cut as the guests applauded. Kacey swiped a finger through the frosting and quickly put it in her mouth. Natalia giggled at her side.

"Now come with me for the next surprise. I commissioned these and Kate did a fantastic job on them. Or at least on the ones I was able to see." She finished.

Natalia lifted the cover on the first painting. The faces of Shannon and Colleen smiled back at her. The deep cherry frames brought out the colors. They walked to the second to find Caitlyn and Patrick's portraits staring back at them. "These are absolutely beautiful. Thank you my love."

"Kate and Anya selected the frames. Now for the main picture." Kacey said as she helped Natalia remove the cover. "Oh my god." Kacey uttered. The painting was of the two of them taken from the official picture of Natalia's coronation.

"What is the matter? The picture if gorgeous."

"Yes but the idea was for you to be in the painting not me, and... and I have seen this painting before."

"You gave me your word that you did not see this one." Kate accused her.

"I did not peek Kate. This is the painting I saw in that dream I told you about. The colors were not as bright, but it is the exact painting. How...?"

"Yes well about that. I have the one you asked for, but," she paused.

"But?"

"Lets just say that you are not the only one granny visited in a dream."

"Wow she must have been one heck of a woman." Natalia commented.

"She was." The sisters said together.

"Just to let you know, I do have the original painting if you still want it." Kate said.

"Of course, I want it. After seeing these, I know I did not pay you enough. I will drop off another credit slip in the morning."

"That will not be necessary little sister."

"It is very necessary." Kacey argued.

"All right you two, no arguing." Patricia said firmly.

They looked at their mother and replied together. "Yes mom."

"I believe you have one more surprize for Natalia?"

"You are correct." Kacey turned to the guests who gathered around the portraits. "As mom stated, I do have one more surprize then we can get down to the serious business of partying." The guests laughed. She led Natalia to the dance floor and held up three fingers to the sound tech who nodded. "Those of you who know me, know that I can be, oh lets say a tad particular about certain things."

"Try extremely particular." Kate called out. the room erupted in laughter.

"That works. Anyway while I recuperating, and practicing for tonight, I searched for a special song for this occasion. I listened to hundreds of love songs, but I kept going back to one particular song. Now bare with me while I give you a little history about this song. Back in the 1960's my fourteen times great grandfather sang this song to his bride. A tradition that has been handed down for over two hundred years. I remember my great grandfather singing this song to my great grandmother. I had to change a few of the words to fit the times and circumstances, but I would like to sing this to the love of my life in memory of my great grandparents and the love their shared." Kacey took Natalia in her arms and nodded to the musicians.

"When the girl in your arms is the girl in your heart,

then you've got everything.

When you are holding the dream you've been dreaming to hold,

you're as rich as a king.

So hold her close and never let her go.

Day and night let her know you love her so.

With the love of your life,

live the life that you love,

make her yours forever more."

At the bridge of the song, Liam and Anya led Patricia and Kate to the floor. The three couples danced. Then sang together.

"So hold her close and never let her go,

Day and night let her know you love her so.

With the love of your life,

Live the life that you love.

Make her yours forever more.

In the room of windows the old couple danced as the man sang along with his great granddaughter.

Make her yours forever more.

"Kirsten made the right choice in returning to her life, Tim."

"Aye Shannon love, she did. They will have a long and happy life together."

When the song ended, Kacey leaned down to kiss Natalia. "Happy birthday."

"I love you General."

"I love you, your Majesty." Kacey signalled to the musicians to play the song again and called the guests to join them on the dance floor. She looked up and whispered "Thank you granny for helping me make the right decision."

THE END

This is the end of their story for now. Who knows they may show up again in the future. These women have been a big part of my life for the last four years.

A very big thank you to everyone who have read my stories and written to me. Your comments helped me to continue.

Thank you to the Academy for allowing me to post to their site.

Claire

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page