Earth in Turmoil

by Psyche_b

Go To Part 1

The adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, So Far From Home and The Voyage Home continues in Earth in Turmoil.

Feedback: gwieniechi@yahoo.com

Chapter 7


"I declare this session of the Marcus Island Central Committee open." Natalia stated and brought the gavel down sharply on it's base, before taking her seat.

"Thank you your Majesty." Prime Minister Carmelo said. "First order of business is to make changes to the wording in our constitution. "The first change is to section four, the Articles Of Lineage. It now states that the royal title can only be passed to the female children. Male children have no claim to the throne. We would like to submit the following change. That the title can pass to a male child if any direct female child turns down the title." She stopped then continued. "The floor is now open for discussion."

"This change will eliminate the clause that the sitting Queen produce a female child and heir by her thirtieth birthday?" A Councilor asked.

"That is the second wording change we would like to make." Prime Minister Carmelo answered.

"That clause was put in centuries ago, because Kings were too quick to sacrifice the lives of our citizens by going to war. With the world at peace, that wording is antiquated."

"But the Queen should still provide an heir to the throne." Another Councilor stated.

"As our current Queen has already produced heirs, this provision will pertain to future Queens." The room was silent. "If there is no further discussion on this change will someone make a motion?"

"I make the motion to change the wording on the passage of the crown to also include sons."

"I second that motion."

"All in favor of the motion please raise your hands." The committee members raised their hands. "Opposed?" No hands were raised." Michaela brought the gavel down. "Motion has passed thirty two to zero. The floor is now open for discussion on the wording change of a sitting Queen providing a female heir before her thirtieth birthday. The change being removal of the word female and have the wording left at heir regardless of sex." There was silence. "If there is no discussion, can I get a motion on this change?"

"I make the motion on the second wording change."

"I second the motion."

"All in favor" Once again every hand was raised. "All opposed?" No hands went up. "The motion is passed thirty two to zero." The gavel came down again.

--------------------------

Anya watched the twins play in the protected yard outside the Queen's quarters, while the committee was in session. Her girls kept their younger cousins occupied. She smiled at the antics of the four. Security guards and Marines walked the perimeter to keep watch in the royal family. She wondered about the increased Marine presence and planned to speak to Natalia about it later.

---------------------

General Millhouse sat behind his desk in the semi darkness. He waited for his visitor as the instructions stated. The sun had set hours ago. The upper floors of the Administration building were dark and quiet. Lights shone in the lower floors as Security worked around the clock.

The sound of the private elevator filled the quiet. General Millhouse stood as the doors opened.

"I apologize for the lateness of the hour General." The man stated. "I could not chance being seen coming into the building earlier."

"Manny, I understand fully. Please have a seat."

"Do you mind if I change to my normal color?"

"Not at all."

The man took a deep breath and his skin tone turned to a dark blue. "If I may be blunt General." The General nodded. "Those two are sick fucks."

"I assume you are talking about Wilson and Wilhelm."

"You assume correctly. What they are working on will lead to war if they are not stopped. They want only white men to be in charge. They are against women, minorities, foreigners. They are also plotting to assassinate the President and all members of the world council who are not white men. In addition they want to kidnap General O'Malley and quite possibly use torture to extract the information."

"To what purpose?"

"They want to know what is being built in that secure hanger. They figured that because she is a woman, she will give them the information they want."

"She would give up her life before she gave up that information. Physical torture would not break her."

"I have no doubt of that General. Unfortunately there are other forms of torture. Physical and emotional torture could take their toll. She has a pregnant wife and two young children, not to mention her family. Harm or even threats of harm coming to any of them could very well break her."

"You are right Manny. She is very close to her family. They will all have to have armed escorts until we can find a way to stop Wilhelm and Wilson."

'Why can you not arrest them now? They are planning to assassinate the World President."

"We could get a few of them on those charges, but not enough to shut all the factions down completely"

"General they are recruiting members. In the last month one thousand new members have joined their ranks."

"If it were up to me Manny, we would bomb that mountain compound to dust."

"I know that General."

"What have you learned about the other compounds?"

"I know the general location of six." He stood and walked to the large map. "There is one here in the Rockies, one in the Adirondacks, one in the Sierras, another here by the Canadian border in Maine another here in the Black Hills and another here in Appalacian mountains. I may have a line on another in Arizona in addition to the main one . That leaves several that are unknown at this time."

"Excellent work Manny. But please keep your head down. We cannot afford to lose you."

"I intend to be on guard General. I like living here on Earth and plan to live many more years here."

"That is good to hear. Chancellor Hime spoke very highly of you and your abilities. I would hate to have to relay the news of your capture or death."

"Will you inform General O'Malley?"

"That is a hard decision to make. If she is informed, she is likely to run right at them without a thought to her own safety. Yet not telling her could be equally dangerous."

"Good luck with that General. I will have more to report in a week or two. I am scheduled to go with the leaders to inspect the other compounds. After that I will be able to give you the precise locations of all the compounds."

"Excellent Manny. Remember if you are discovered just press the code into your tracker and we will get you out of there."

He stood, took a deep breath and changed back to human coloring. He stood and went to the open elevator. As soon as the door closed, General Millhouse pulled out his special phone and pushed a button. "Charles we need to talk."
---------------------------------

"Hey there beautiful." Kacey said, as she greeted Natalia over the video call.

"Hey yourself sexy."

"How was the session today?"

"It went very well. Both wording changes to the Constitution were accepted by the whole committee. Patrick is now eligible to become king, if all the girls turn down accepting the crown."

'That is great to hear for his sake."

"I was hoping they would go by birth order, but I will take what changes they allowed. The second change that while the sitting queen has to provide an heir before her thirtieth birthday, that child does not have to be a girl." I honestly did not think they would approve that change. Having it a unanimous vote of approval, really lifted my spirits."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing that seeing you in person wouldn't cure. How was your day?"

"Busy. We took another flyer up for practice. Then I did a couple hours of paperwork and worked with Bella for an hour. I picked up something completely bad for me for dinner. Then I worked out for an hour to work off said dinner, then called you. Are the children still up?"

"Unfortunately no. They ran around the garden most of the day with their cousins and wore themselves out. Even the girls have crashed for the night. Anya and I were enjoying a nice glass of wine and waiting for your's and Kate's calls."

"When will you be home? The house is just too quiet."

"There is another session in the morning which should not take very long. We should be home by late afternoon. Kacey is there anything going on?"

"Going on?"

"Yes there is a squad of Marines around my quarters in addition to the Queen's security. Did you order them to keep watch?"

"That sweetheart is not my doing, but I will find out who ordered the extra protection. I think it is a good idea, but cannot take credit for it." Kacey answered. "How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good. The babies are moving around getting their exercise." She smiled. "At least they haven't started tap dancing on my bladder yet, so I was able to get through today's session without any problems."

Kacey laughed. A chirping sound caught her attention. "Hold on sweetheart, I have a call from General Millhouse." Kacey picked up the phone and walked away from the computer. "Good evening General. What can I do for you?"

"General, Commander Torino will pick both up you and Admiral Jensen in thirty minutes to bring you to headquarters."

"Has something happened?"

"Nothing that can be discussed over the phone."

"All right sir, I will get dressed and see you shortly." She hung up the phone and returned to the computer. "Sorry sweetheart, I have to cut this call short. Kate and I have been called in for a meeting."

"Kate just told Anya the same thing. I will let you go so that you can change your clothes. I appreciate your comfortable clothes but the General may not. I love you."

"Love you right back and I will see you tomorrow." She blew an air kiss.

They signed off. Kacey ran upstairs to change her clothes.

-----------------------------

"Tuck we have enough information to arrest Wilson, Wilhelm and several others in this faction."

"One faction Charles, and maybe just one off shoot of the main faction. Those two are not smart enough to run the whole show. They are just puppets to whom ever is pulling their strings."

"Have we heard anything at all from our other people inside?"

"Nothing since last week. Unless something major takes place, they are not scheduled to check in for another week if they are able."

"What about the President? She needs to know that she is a target."

"I have notified her and she will be sitting in on this meeting. I will connect with her as soon as the others arrive." He went to the cabinet and opened the doors to reveal several bottles of liquor. He held one up. Admiral Tacher nodded. General Millhouse poured a generous amount in two glasses and handed one to his friend. He walked to the map and stared at it until a knock came at the door. "Come in." He called out.

Rhea opened the door to allow Kate, Kacey and Bella to enter, before she walked in and secured the door behind her. "Charles would you get everyone a drink." General Millhouse stated as he turned on the large video screen behind his desk. He entered the Presidential code and within seconds she appeared on screen.

"At ease." President Cord said as they all snapped to attention. "Good evening Generals, Admirals, Commanders."

"Madame President, Secretary Cord, we are sorry for disturbing you in your home, but we have discovered several plots that you need to be aware of." General Millhouse stated. He walked around his desk until he stood next to Admiral Tacher. "One of our contacts inside reported back this evening with some very disturbing news. I beg your indulgence for one minute Madame President. Before we get into this there is one thing I must do." He turned to Kacey. "General O'Malley, You are the type of person that once you give your word, you will not go back on it. I need you to give me your word that once you know the purpose of this meeting, you will not go rushing head long into the fray."

"I would give you my word if I knew more. You are being very cryptic, General." Kacey replied.

"You will, but first I need you to trust me and give me your word."

Kacey paused and looked at her Commanding Officer and friend. "I do trust you General. You have my word."

"And I want yours Admiral Jensen." Admiral Tacher stated.

Kate hesitated before she said, "you have my word also."

"Thank you. Now what we have learned is that threats have been made against you Madame President, as well as Mrs. Cord. In addition to plans to kidnap Admiral Jensen." Kacey surged to her feet.

"WHAT?"

"General you gave me your word." She sat back down. "There is more. The plan was to also kidnap General O'Malley. They want information on what is in that secure hanger and will use any means to get that information. They are the worst bigots and racists since the twenty first century Republicans. We have discovered that many are direct descendants of those same people who worked to start the last war. They are not above using torture to get the information they desire."

"I am not afraid of pain General." Kacey stated.

"Neither am I." Kate added.

"I believe you both. However torture can take many forms besides physical. It can also encompass emotional and mental. You both have families and friends that they could and would use to get the information they seek."

"They touch a single hair on their heads and I will tear them apart with my bare hands." Kacey said angrily.

"We need you to keep that infamous temper of your under tight control. That is an order." General Millhouse said. Kacey took several deep breaths before she nodded.

"Is that why you have increased the military presence on Marcus Island?"

"Yes. We heard some unconfirmed rumors last week. I repeat they are unconfirmed rumors. We knew that Queen Natalia would be making her monthly trip to the islands. Every time she or any members of your family leave the safety of your homes, the base, or the Administration Building, you and they will have armed protection."

"Do you know where these factions are located?"

"We know the location of one definitely and the general location of several others."

"Where are they General."

"That is not going to happen General O'Malley."

"If you know the definite location of one, why not go in and take them out?" Rhea asked.

"Taking out one compound would not make a big difference." Kacey answered. "In order to completely put down these factions, they all have to be destroyed at the same time."

"Correct Kacey." General Millhouse said.

"What do we need to do?" Kate asked.

"We need to find the locations of those other compounds. We will have more information in a few weeks. In order to execute any actions we need those flyers sooner that anticipated."

"You want us to ramp up production." Bella stated.

"Yes Commander. How soon can you get six or eight in the air?"

"Six or eight? If we are lucky we can get one ready to go if we push production in two or three weeks, Admiral."

"If we pull my training officers off of the training runs we have been doing we can help out, but that will not get six in the air."

"I know it is a huge task, General O'Malley. Talk to your people. I will not order them to work on this new flyer. Training the pilots is as important."

"We can come up with a plan of action, General. I know several qualified people who can be brought in to work. With more man power we could have assembly going around the clock."

"Will they pass security muster?"

"They were on Andromeda with us. They will pass without problems."

"Get me their names and I will have their orders cut."

"I too have several names I can submit Admiral. They were also on Andromeda and pass security muster." Bella offered.

"Get me their names." Admiral Tacher said. "That goes for all of you. We need not remind you that the sooner we can get these flyers in the air the sooner we can work to put down these factions."

"General Millhouse, what about converting some of the shuttles over?" The President asked.

"Madame President, I think it could be done. At least as far as the weapons, shields and devices go. They would not have the special hulls, and would be tractable, but it would knock several weeks off of production." Bella answered.

"There are forty seven shuttles at the base right now. The systems will all have to be upgraded, but even that would take less time than building them from scratch. We may be able to get six done before the first class of pilots arrive."

"We could schedule the workers for six or seven days a week instead of five until the extra help arrives."

"Ask for volunteers. Do not make it mandatory." Admiral Tacher instructed. "Their pay will reflect the extra hours they put in."

"Do we know who is running this show?" Kacey asked.

"We do but..."

"Then tell me, General. Who is threatening not only my family but the peace of the world." Kacey demanded.

"No General O'Malley. Your reputation tells us that the second you know their identities, you will go after them yourself. You are far too valuable to the peace of our world to allow you to do that." President Cord told her.

"They certainly know you, Kacey." Kate said.

"That also pertains to you Admiral Jensen." The President stated. "Until the time comes, the identities of the faction's leaders will remain secret."

"Madame President, I wish I could say that your assessment of us is wrong, but I cannot." Kate admitted.

"Thank you Admiral,... Kate. once again a great deal rests on your shoulders and Kacey's"

"We will do our best not to let you down ma'am." Kate stated. "Right Kacey?"

Kacey hesitated before answering. "Right. May I ask how much of this we can tell our wives and parents about the extra precautions?"

"If they are informed, they are less likely to balk at their shadows." Kate supplied.

'I see no harm in alerting your families to the possible threats. The new flyers however, must remain classified information. I do not believe for a single second that they would let anything slip. But for now I ask that for now you say nothing pertaining to the flyers."

"We understand Madame President."

"One more item I would like to mention. This has nothing to do with this meeting but would you pass along my compliments to your mother. And tell her that we are looking forward to eating at her restaurant again the next time we are down your way."

"We will pass along your compliments ma'am."

"Then unless there is more you need to discuss, we have taken up enough of your time this evening." She waited as they all shook their heads. "Have a good evening." The officers stood up until the computer screen went dark.

 

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page