Earth in Turmoil

by Psyche_b

Go To Part 1

The adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, So Far From Home and The Voyage Home continues in Earth in Turmoil.

Feedback: gwieniechi@yahoo.com

Chapter 9

Thanksgiving had passed and the Christmas season had begun. All around the neighborhood, decorations were set out. The nights were filled with twinkling lights. Decorations appeared on the lawns to add to the festive mood. Lights encircled the trunks of the palm trees and were threaded through the palm fronds.

Due to the lateness of the hour, the houses were dark. Kacey turned over in bed, her arm reached out for Natalia and found only emptiness. The cool sheets told her, that Natalia had been awake for a long time. She sat up and looked around their bedroom.

Kacey got up and checked the bathroom finding it empty, she walked into the hallway. The faint light from the children's bedroom leaked into the hall. Thinking one or both of their children had woken up Kacey headed there. The twins were sleeping peacefully. The sound from the nursery reached her ears and she went there next. Natalia sat rocking between the still empty cribs. She held a large Teddy Bear.

"Hey," Kacey said softly not wanting to startle her.

"Why are you not sleeping?" Natalia asked as she turned to look at Kacey.

"The question is, why aren't you?" Kacey asked as she leaned against the door frame. "Is everything all right?" Kacey walked to Natalia's side and knelt on the floor.

Natalia rubbed her stomach. "We are fine. They girls decided to wake up and were very active. I could not find a comfortable position and did not want to wake you up by tossing and turning. With all the extra hours you have been putting in these last few weeks, I..."

"Talia, I am so sorry."

"No apologies Kacey. I understand. Really I do."

"Now that all the extra help has arrived and working this should be the last week I will be working the extra hours. I will be around more. Probably even have the whole day off Sunday. My first day off in what four weeks?"

"Try six weeks sweetheart. But who is keeping track of how many eighteen hour days you have put in." She smiled. "Doctor Amstell wants me to cut back on my hours at the restaurant also. With the new Managers trained we all will be able to cut back." She continued to rub her stomach.

Kacey knelt between her legs and leaned over to whisper to the babies. "Hey there little ones, how about you settle down and let your mama get some sleep. It takes a lot of work to give you both a nice comfortable warm place to grow and she needs to rest."

Natalia laughed. "You goof. Do you think they can..." She stopped. "I can not believe it. I think they listened to you. At least they are not tap dancing on my bladder anymore."

"Then come back to bed." Kacey stood, held her hand out to Natalia and helped her stand. Natalia placed the Teddy Bear in the rocking chair. They walk out of the nursery together and into their bedroom. They fell asleep in each other's arms.

---------------------
The long week finally ended and they had the week end to look forward to. It was a rare time because they were all off work together. The family gathered at Kacey's and Natalia's for a family dinner. Rain was falling. Kate helped Kacey set the dining room table which had been extended to fit them all.

Anya and Natalia worked in the kitchen. While Anya peeled and chopped vegetables, Natalia sliced others for a salad. Out of the corner of her eye, Anya noticed Natalia stop, grab the counter and take several deep breaths. She went to her sister in law's side.

"Are you all right?" Natalia nodded, her eyes fixed on the clock above the counter as she continued to take slow breaths. "When did the pains start?" She asked softly.

Natalia let out a breath. "Around six hundred hours this morning. It may have been earlier, but that was the first one I actually felt."

"How many pains have you had?"

"I am not sure, five or six."

"I will get Kacey." Anya stated and started to move towards the dining room.

"No Anya, wait, please." She placed her hand on Anya's arm. "Don't say anything. Not yet. This is the first day she has had off in well over a month. She is exhausted and slept until after eight hundred hours this morning. I hope to let her relax for a few hours. Please Anya?"

Anya looked at her. "It goes against my better judgment, but all right. For now but if you have had five or six pains in the last five hours, you have some leeway. Just remember that this is the second time you have gone through labor so it might go quicker."

"I know, but maybe it will stop like it did two nights ago."

"Kacey did not know then either did she?"

"I didn't tell her because she had so much on her mind."

"That is utter nonsense."

"No it isn't Anya. Kacey has been putting in sixteen to eighteen hour a day doing whatever it is they are doing at the base. This is one thing I don't want her to have to lose sleep over. She gets precious little as it is." Anya looked at her. "Please Anya?"

"Agreed, but I will be keeping track of the pains. If I see them go below thirty minutes, then I will tell her if you do not." Anya warned. "Can I at least tell Kate so that she does not have too many drinks in case you need someone to drive you?"

"Talia do you need me to bring anything else out?" Kacey asked as she walked into the kitchen. "What's going on?" She said as she noticed how close they were standing.

"Everything is fine." Natalia answered quickly. "You can bring out that platter of appetizers. Your parents will be here in about an hour. Please don't let the children fill up on those."

"I won't. Are you sure you are all right? Are the girls tap dancing on your bladder again?"

"Right now they are quiet, so unless you want to be put to work cooking." She made shooing motions with her hands. Kacey picked up the platter and left the kitchen.

"You lied to her." Anya scolded. "You are not all right."

"I know, but just for now. I am counting on you not to say anything."

"I told you that I would not say anything, for now. A word of warning..."

"I know, If the pains go below thirty minutes I will tell her myself."

"That is not what I want going to say. You will not be able to hide the pains from Patricia and she will take a great deal more convincing that I did."

"I know." Natalia admitted. "I also know that if we do not get these vegetable finished and ready to cook, we will both be in the dog house."

Anya laughed and they both went back to their assigned tasks.

---------------------------

Kacey placed the platter on the counter, making sure the younger children could not reach it.

"I think we should be worried." Kacey said.

"Why?"

"Our wives have their heads together and were a bit evasive when I asked."

"My bet is they are talking about babies. Natalia has what about another month to go?"

"About that. I am just happy that I am now able to cut back on my hours for this final leg. The work crews are at full strength and trained. We are running around the clock on the ships. We even have enough workers that we can stagger days off for everyone."

"Good. How are the new pilots?"

"For the first batch of trainees, they are not too bad. Once their egos were slapped down. They were told to check their egos at the front gate or not bother unpacking."

"I heard about your welcoming speech. I imagine that shocked them."

"A little."

"Are any of the pilots working on ..."

"No, they are not even allowed in that area. They are working on other models and will probably get into the cockpits by the end of January."

"Have you seen any competitions between the services?"

"A little. I expected to see a lot more than there has been, but they are learning to work together. What they do in their time off however is another matter. They are all people who work hard and play just as hard. They are learning."

"Latrine duty or K.P?"

"For starters, then they work their way up to inventory. That has to be done on a daily basis as we have to have running counts on every nut, bolt, screw and centimeter of cabling and wire. The bean counters are always happy to have extra people."

"Unless things change, Rhea and I will be down for a visit this week. It will probably be Friday."

"Any time Kate. I believe General Millhouse and Admiral Tacher will be there also."

"Then you had better tell the Mess Hall to fix something other than mystery meat."

"We could see if mom could cater a luncheon for us." Kacey joked.

"She would do it too. Speaking of mom, where is she?"

"She had to go to the restaurant to pick something up. Talia said they would be here within the hour." Kacey went to the bar and poured them each a drink. She haded one to Kate. "How are the rug rats doing in school?"

"Very good. I thought they would have problem with the transition to attending school on Earth, but they took it in stride."

"Thank goodness they inherited Anya's cool headedness." Kacey joked.

"As much as I want to smack you for that comment, I can't because it is true." Kate stated and laughed.

---------------------------------

Natalia was perched on a counter stool as she worked. Anya placed a cup of tea on the counter for her. The rain continued to fall. The back door opened to admit Patricia and Liam who carried a large bakery box in his hands. He placed it on the counter.

"Is everything under control?" Patricia asked as she noted Natalia sitting down.

"It is. The vegetables are cooking, the salad is finished..."

"Hold on a minute dear." She interrupted. "Liam would you get me a glass of wine please?"

"Of course Patsy." He left the kitchen.

"Now that we are alone, what is wrong? No wait, a better question is how far apart are the pains?" Patricia demanded.

"Anya said you would know as soon as you walked in. About forty five to fifty minutes. Kacey doesn't know yet."

"For heaven's sake, why not?

"Patricia this is her first day off in over a month. I just want her to relax a little before all the craziness starts."

"Kate doesn't know either." Anya added.

"I promised Anya I would tell her when the pains got down to thirty minutes apart. There is nothing we can do until then. Even the doctor said to wait until the pains were twenty minutes apart then go to the hospital."

"She may be very angry that you kept this from her."

"I know, Patricia but I hope she will forgive me when she realizes the reasons behind keeping her in the dark."

"She will forgive you if she knows what is good for her." Patricia stated.

"Please do not treat her like a child or threaten her." Natalia pleaded.

"You are definitely her equal Natalia. She is safe from me. You have my word." Patricia smiled. "Now lets finish getting dinner ready and get everyone fed before all hell breaks loose. You know Kacey won't eat a thing if she knows."
-------------------------------

Dinner was served. They sat at the table and passed the platters and bowls around. Natalia put very little on her plate, not wanting to be full for what was to come later.

Anya and Patricia kept a close eye on her throughout the meal. To avoid their scrutiny, Natalia busied herself with making sure their children were eating and not playing with their food. After several minutes, Kacey noticed the looks. She could not quiet the unease that quickly developed in the pit of her stomach after intercepting several looks.

"Okay, what is going on?" She demanded, putting her fork down.

"What do you mean dear?" Patricia asked.

"What are those looks I keep seeing? What is wrong?"

"Looks? What sort of looks?" Anya asked

"Now I know something is wrong. You are both answering a question with a question. I may be thick, but there is something going on. Now what the Hell is it?"

"Kacey, do not be upset with them. I asked them not to say anything. I have been having labor pains since dawn."

"WHAT? Why the hell didn't you say anything?"

"I was hoping to let you relax for a few hours after all the extra time you have been putting in and how hard you have been working lately." Natalia told her. "Are you mad at me?"

Kacey caught her mother's look. "No sweetheart I am not mad. I appreciate your concern."

"But?"

"There is no but. I do understand and appreciate your attempts. Does doctor Amstell know?"

"Yes, I called her when the pains did not stop like before."

"Before? When before? Oh wait that night I found you sitting in the nursery." Natalia nodded. "You said they were very active. Damn I should have realized."

"Sweetheart, don't, they were active, but that was not the whole truth." She said and gasped as another pain started. She grabbed Kacey's hand.

"Talia?"

Natalia held up a hand. "Wait."

"How long since the last contraction?" Kacey asked.

"Thirty two minutes." Anya answered as she timed the contraction. She concentrated on her watch. "Forty two seconds duration."

"Maybe we should head to the hospital." Kacey suggested.

"Not yet. Doctor Amstel said to call her when the pains got down to twenty minutes."

"Twenty? Isn't that cutting it a little close? It will take us fifteen minutes to get to the hospital." Kacey argued.

"Sweetheart, please relax. There is still plenty of time."

"Kate and Anya will go with you." Patricia said. "Your father and I will watch the children."

Anya looked at the small pad where she marked the time. "Kacey is right. I do not want to alarm you Natalia, but the pains went from fifty seven minutes to thirty two. You may want to get ready to leave."

"I will get your suitcase down." Kacey said.

"It is all packed and in the hall closet." Kacey pushed away from the table and left. She quickly returned with the suitcase that she placed by the door. "Now come over and finish eating while we wait."

"How the Hell can any of you think about eating at a time like this?" Kacey demanded.

"One of us in panic mode is enough" Kate told her.

Kacey paced the room. "You still have four weeks to go. Will they be all right?"

"Yes, they are both fine. Doctor Amstell told me this could happen at my last exam. They may have to stay like Caitlyn and Patrick did, but only because they are small." Kacey rubbed her temples as she felt the headache start. Natalia went to her side. "Please try not to worry. We are all fine. Come sit over here with me." She led Kacey to the couch where they sat side by side. Kacey rested her elbows on her knees as she continued to rub her temples. "I know that you want to be able to come with me when I have to nurse them, but will be unable to every time. Admit it, that is what you are thinking about."

"That is just one of the many thoughts running through my mind right now.

"Care to share them with me?"

"Yes, but not now. Let's concentrate on getting the babies born then I will tell you them all."

"I will hold you to that General." Kacey managed a small smile. "What is the smile for?"

"I am glad I put the side panels on the rover yesterday." Kacey replied. Natalia grabbed her hand as another pain started. When it passed she got up and walked around the room.

"That pain was twenty six minutes from the last one." Anya stated.

Kacey walked to Natalia's side as she ran through a list in her mind. "I know the Doctor said to wait until the pains were down to twenty minutes, but with the rain, I think we should leave now." Anya said.

"I agree with Anya." Kate told them. "I will alert security."

"Thanks Kate. I will get our rain coats." Kacey went to the hall closet and returned with their coats. She handed Kate and Anya's theirs and held Natalia's to help her put it on. They went and kissed the children. "All right monsters you be good for grand ma and poppy."

"I am sorry to ruin dinner." Natalia said.

"Nonsense Natalia, you did not ruin dinner."

"Aye lass, ye just concentrate on bringing those wee ones into the world." Liam said and gave her a hug.

"Girls you be good for your grandparents and help with Caitlyn and Patrick." Anya told their daughters as Kacey walked to her parents.

"Thank you for watching the children. I will call as soon as it is over."

"Don't worry about us. Just concentrate on Natalia. We will be fine."

"The door bell rang. "There is security." Kate said and picked up the suitcase as Kacey helped Natalia out the door.
--------------------------------

"Okay Natalia, one more push and the first baby will be born." Doctor Amstell said from the foot of the bed.

Kacey helped Natalia sit up to push. Soon the air was filled with the sound of a baby's cry. Kacey took the scissors and cut the cord then returned to the head of the bed to help deliver the second child. The doctor handed the baby to the waiting nurse who carried the crying infant to the weighing table.

Natalia had a few seconds respite before the labor pains started again as the second baby made her way into the world.

-----------------------------------------

Kate paced as they waited for news. Anya shook her head and watched Kate. They had been in the waiting room for a hour when the door opened.

"You can go in now." The nurse said.

Kacey held one child and Natalia the second when Kate and Anya entered. She stood up and handed Kate the baby she was holding. "This is Shannon Diane O'Malley who was born first and weighed in at four pounds six ounces and seventeen inches long" She went and picked up the second child and handed her to Anya. "This little bundle is Colleen Elizabeth O'Malley who weighed four pounds two ounces and sixteen inches long."

"They are beautiful little girls." Kate said and lifted the cap Shannon wore to see the blonde hair. "Are they identical twins?"

"As close as we can tell, yes. They are both blonde and blue eyed. Although doctor Amstell said that could change."

"They will have to stay for a few days."

"Yes and we have to set up a schedule with security for getting Natalia back and forth to nurse them."

"Let me handle that, you will have enough on you to worry about that."

"Thank you Kate."

"Did you call mom and dad?"

"Not yet, but..."

"Go." Natalia said. "Kate and Anya will keep me company until you return."

"Okay sweetheart. I will not be long." Kacey kissed the top of her head and left the room.

 

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page