So Far From Home

by Psyche_B

Year three in the Voyage of Andromeda.  The adventure that started in  Among the Stars, and Beyond the Farthest Planet continues in Far From Home.

Go To Part 1


                                  CHAPTER 28 A

    Pain.  Pain was all around her.  A warm stickiness dripped into her eyes making it hard to see.  On the fringes of her consciousness she vaguely heard the whine of a shuttle near by.  Every breath was agony.  She tried to move but the pain almost caused her to black out again.  She kept her breathing slow and steady as she waited for the pain to level off.

"This is not good ," she thought.

    Kacey looked around the damaged cockpit of her shuttle, moving only her eyes.  Which at this point was the only part of her that did not hurt.  She blinked several times to remove the stickiness from her eyes.  Her vision cleared slightly.  Her sluggish mind did not take in and process what her eyes told her.  The green lights that signified that heating, life support and cloaking were still functioning did not register for several minutes.  Until, through the undamaged windshield she noticed the figure throwing what looked like stones in her direction.  She could dimly hear the pings off the hull.

  "Why is he doing that?  Can't he see the shuttle?"  Her mind finally registered the green lights.  " of course not the cloaking device is still on."

    Kacey tried to move her left hand toward the shut off switch but her arm refused to move.  She turned her head slightly to look at her arm.  The sight of the blood soaked sleeve along with the white of the bone end sticking through the torn material, turned her stomach.

  "Oh God."  She moaned.  " Think O'Malley, think.  The cloak is still on.  Fact.  Help is outside but cannot see you.  Fact.  You need to turn the cloak off and your left arm is not working.  This is going to hurt."   She gritted her teeth, brought her right arm across her body to reach the shut off switch.  The pain level increased until darkness crept over her mind.  She kept a tenuous hold of her consciousness until her fingers touched the switch and flipped it off.  With a cry of agony, she let the darkness overtake her.

  The shuttle shimmered into view as the tractor beam approached and latched on.  The shuttle started to lift off the surface.  Mike hurried back into his shuttle, gathering the tether as he ran.  Once the ramp was closed, he waited for the life support to kick in before removing his helmet and gloves.  He jumped into the pilot's seat without taking the time to remove the rest of the E.V.A suit.  Mike started the shuttle and followed Kacey's into the Hanger.

    Kate watched the scene unfold.  "Rhea you have the Bridge.  Dad we need to get down to the Hanger."

    "Do you want to be telling the others?"

    "Not until we know what her condition is then I will send them to Sick Bay."

    "Tis the best thing Katie."

  The lift doors closed behind them.  Seconds later they walked into the Hanger where they waited with the medical staff for the air lock doors to open.

  It felt like an hour before the big doors slid open.  Mike ran from his shuttle and punched in the code to open the ramp on Kacey's shuttle.  The dented ramp opened slowly.  Mechanics stood ready with tools in the event the ramp door stuck.  Kate and Liam followed the doctor inside.

  Kacey's chin rested on her chest.  Blood from a large cut on her forehead covered her face and dripped onto her flight suit.  Her eyes were closed and her chest rose faintly.  Through the blood soaked sleeve, they could see the bone end.  The doctor touched his communicator.

  "Doctor Pence to Sick Bay."

  "Go ahead Doctor."

  "Get the operating room prepped.  Have Olive meet me there.  Also prepare the full body scan.  Colonel O'Malley will need surgery."

  "Yes Doctor."

  "Hand me the cervical collar to stabilize her neck."  The Medic handed him the collar which he put around Kacey's neck.  "Back Board.  Colonel can you help me lean her forward?"

  "Wait Doc, the seat back will recline.  Wouldn't that be better?"

  "You are right Colonel.  Lower the back and keep her steady until we get the board behind her."

  Mike lowered the chair back and with one hand kept Kacey still until the board was in place.  He helped the Doctor move her backwards until she was laying flat.  Before he tightened the straps, Doctor Pence ran his hands over her torso checking for broken bones.  He frowned at the sponginess in her ribs.  He finished checking her legs for breaks.

    Mike cut her safety harness off and moved it out of the way.

  "We need to move the straps.  She has several broken ribs and I do not want the straps doing any more damage. I can also feel a break in her left leg.  We need to get her out of here.  Colonel you take that side of the board, I will take this side.  Commander will you grab her legs?  Be careful one is broken"  He repositioned the straps and tightened them.

  Liam moved into position and moved his hands under Kacey's legs as the other men prepared to lift her from the seat.
"On three.  One, two, three"  They lifted together and carried Kacey out of the shuttle to the waiting stretcher.  Kate moved out of their way.  They laid Kacey on the stretcher and moved quickly to the lift.

  "Katie, you had better be getting the others."

  "Not until she is in Sick Bay. I do not want them to see her like this.  Mom and Natalia will panic if they saw her now."

  "Tis true."

  They waited for the next lift giving the Doctor time to get Kacey into Sick Bay.  They separated at the Bridge.  Kate stepped off while Liam continued.  Kate entered her Ready Room.

  "Kate what is going on?"  Natalia demanded.  Where is Kacey?"

  "She has been injured and is in Sick Bay."

  "I want to see her."

  "No, Natalia.  Not yet."

  "I have to see her Kate.  Please let me see her."

  "Natalia, no."

  "How badly injured is she?"  Patricia asked.

  "From what I could see, she has a large cut on her head, a broken arm, leg and ribs."  Natalia cried in Anya's arms.

  "Do you know what happened?"

  "She, she was unconscious when we took her from the shuttle.  At some point she was able to turn off her cloak so we could see the shuttle."  Kate stated.  "I will take you down to Sick Bay."  Kate gently took Natalia's arm which was roughly pulled away.  Her shoulders slumped in defeat.  Anya tightened her hold on Natalia and helped her walk.  Patricia followed confused by Natalia's reaction.

  Liam was waiting for them when they entered the waiting room out side Sick Bay.  Patricia went to him.  "What happened?"

  "Kacey and some of her lads were attacked, Patsy."

  "Kate?"

  "They were out, and the four were ambushed."  She hesitated.  "They were, Kacey was, hit several times."  She paused again.  "I do not have the full report yet."

  "Why just those four ships?"  Patricia demanded.

  Kate looked at her mother.  "They were further out than the rest.  The raiders must have thought they were easy targets and attacked them."  Kate felt hot tears fill her eyes as she waited for Patricia's next question.

  "Why?"

  "She, she was angry with me."

  "Did you two have another fight?"

  The Doctor came into the waiting room.

                                      CHAPTER 28 B

    "Colonel O'Malley is being prepped for surgery.  We have closed the gash on her forehead and healed her broken leg.  Those were the easy injuries to treat.  She also has an open fracture of her left arm and some internal bleeding from the broken ribs that punctured her spleen.  Her vitals while not great are steady."

  "Can I see her Doctor?"  Natalia asked.  "Just for a minute, please?"

  "I can not allow that Natalia.  With the open fracture, there is too much chance for infection.  I will let you know as soon as she is out of surgery.  It  take at least two hours."
.
  The ship rocked with the force of shots hitting their shields.  The ship stopped.

  "Captain Jensen to the Bridge."

  Kate sighed.  "Keep me posted."  She ordered.  "I am on my way."  Kate left the waiting room with Liam at her side.  "Report"  She ordered as she stepped off the lift.

  "There is an incoming message, Captain."

  "On screen."  The view screen lit up with the face of a light skinned alien.  Thick ridges adorned his face.  Greasy looking dreadlocks covered his head.  "This is Captain Kate Jensen of the United World Star Traveler Andromeda.  Who are you and why have you attacked us?"  She demanded.

  The alien leered at her as he took in her form which made her skin crawl.

  "Good morning Captain."  His oily voice made her inwardly cringe.  "I am Captain Semint.  Are you not aware that you are travelling through restricted space?"

  "I was not aware of that fact."

  "You are now.  You have infringed on our territory without permission or paying the toll.  That is a crime and you must pay the penalty."

  "My apologies, Captain for breaking you laws.  We are travelers just passing through on our way home."

  "The reasons you have trespassed are not important however the matter of reparation is."

  "What is the amount of this reparation?"

  "The fine is ten of your small ships and twenty five of your young women."  Kate was stunned by his demands although she kept her face neutral.  "Captain, I understand it will take time to gather our demands.  You have one hour to comply or we will destroy your ship."

  The screen went dark.  Kate jumped into action.  "God damned space pirates.  How many ships are out there?"

  "Eight war ships that look like they have seen better days."  Rhea answered.

  "Can you scan the ships?  We need to know what we are up against.  What are their weapons and their top speed?"

  "Certainly, Captain."  Rhea concentrated on her boards as she began the scan of the ships.  After several minutes she reported.  "They are old ships.  Their weapons and shields are no match for Andromeda's.  They have warp engines but their top speed is warp six and will not be able to keep up should we choose to fight our way out."

  Kate paced the Bridge.  "Open ship wide channel."

  "Channel open, Captain."

  "This is Captain Jensen, we are under attack.  All civilians report to you assigned places in Safe Haven.  I repeat, we are under attack.  All civilians report to Safe Haven.  Close channel."  She continued to pace.  "Do we have any idea how big their area is?"

  "There is nothing in the star charts to indicate this is a restricted area, Captain."

  "Bella are the engines damaged in any way?"

  "No damage Captain."

  "Colonel O..."  she stopped when she remembered Kacey was in Sick Bay. "Colonel Anderson to the Bridge."

  "On my way Captain."  Within minutes, Mike stepped off the lift.  "Captain what can I do for you?  How is Kacey?"

  "She was going into surgery when I left.  Colonel are all the Stingers out?"

  "Yes they are."

  "Pull them in around Andromeda."

  "Do you plan on fighting our way out?"

  "I am.  There is no way I am going to surrender women or ships for their bogus tolls."

  "You give the word Captain.  What are their defenses like?"

  "No match for ours.  Their speed either."

  "How long do they give us?"

  "We have an hour."

  "We are down to fifty minutes, Katie."  Liam stated.

  "Colonel have all your ships stay within a kilometer of Andromeda.  Keep the front clear.  Can they pick up ship to ship communications?"

  "I do not think so."

  "In thirty minutes we are going to break away from those bastards.  Have your pilots set their course for two one seven five point zero three.  As soon as you hear the word Apache, fire all guns and hit the gas.  We are going to bug out of here at maximum warp."

  "Understand Captain.  We will be ready."

  "Thank you Colonel."

  "Do you need me here or do I have permission to lead the charge."

  "Permission granted, Colonel."  He saluted Kate and left the Bridge. "Rich lock in our course for two one seven five point zero three and wait for the word."

  "Aye Captain."

  "Ready all guns and torpedoes."

  "Armed and ready, Captain."

  The Bridge crew tensely waited for the time to count down.  Kate watched the digital display count down.  At thirty minutes had elapsed, Kate stood up and ordered.  "Hail Captain Semint."  The view screen lit up. 

  "Captain have you decided to meet our demands and put your payment together?"

  "We have considered the amount of your payment."

    "You have come to a conclusion?"

  "We have."

  "And your answer?"

  "Colonel Anderson?"

  "Yes Captain."

  "APACHE."  Kate shouted.  The smaller ships and the big guns of Andromeda opened fire at the unsuspecting pirates.  Rich at the pilot's station started the big ship.  Soon all the ships blew through the line of pirate ships.  With the guns still firing, three of the pirate ships were dead in space as the superior guns cut through them.  They were soon far away from the ambush point.

  "They are not in pursuit."

  "Good job everyone."

  "Good job Katie."  Liam said.

  "Colonel Anderson please relay my thanks to your pilots."

  "Will do Captain.  Any word from sick Bay?"

  "Not yet Colonel.  I will let you know as soon s we hear anything."

  "We appreciate that Captain.

-----------------

    "Stand down red alert."  Kate ordered.

    "I am thinking it is safe to let the folks out of Safe Haven.  And turn the Bridge over to the next shift so that we can go check on your sister."

    "How far away are the Pirates?"

    "Four million kilometers."

    "Give the all clear to Safe Haven.  Rich slow our speed down to warp seven.  Colonel Anderson?"

    "Yes Captain."

    "We are slowing down to give you a break.  Thank you for your help."

    "It was our pleasure, Captain."  Mike said.  "All ships prepared to land. Next squad prepare to launch.  Ladies and gentlemen thank you all.  Lieutenant Vargas, you have the Bridge.  Continue on this heading.  We will be in Sick Bay if you need us."

    Kate and Liam left the Bridge and within minutes entered the waiting room.  Natalia stood in the door way watching the activity in Sick Bay, with Patricia close by.  Patricia turned when the door opened behind them.

  "Any news?"

  "Not yet.  She must still be in surgery."

  "Where is Anya?"

  "She went to get the girls and the babies from day care.  She will bring them here to visit with their moms.  Are we in the clear?"

  "Yes, those pirates were no match for our weapons and speed.  They were just a bunch of intergalactic bullies."

  Natalia remained at the door and did not participate in the conversation behind her.

  "Now I think it is time for you to finish telling me why Kacey was angry with you."  Patricia demanded.

  Kate sat on a chair and dropped her head in her hands.  Patricia sat on one side and Liam on the other.  When she spoke, her voice was soft and full of regret.

  "At the party before we left Brin, I had the supreme lack of good sense and good judgment.  My actions that night was conduct unbecoming a senior officer.  I tried to get Kacey drunk without her knowledge."

  "Kate for the love of everything that is sacred, why would you do something like that?"

  "The Doctor is coming."  Natalia spoke for the first time in hours.

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page