The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


Kacey sat in her shuttle as she waited for Natalia to join her. Mike sat directly behind her and would hand the controls to Natalia to release the memorial buoy. She made additions to the short speech she would give before the buoy was released.

"Here comes Natalia." Mike stated.

"Shamrock to Bridge."

"Go ahead Kacey."

"Is everything ready?"

"The cameras are rolling and beamed to Earth. General Millhouse has contacted us to say that they can see you clearly."

"We will be lifting off shortly."

"Be careful out there." Kate watched her reaction. "Do not roll your eyes at me."

"Would not think of it Kate." Kacey joked.

"You forget that you are on Camera."

"Bye Kate."

Natalia walked onto the shuttle and sat in the copilot's seat."

"Hi Mike are you coming along for the ride?"

"Some one has to protect you two beautiful women from all the big bad guys out here." He stated as he closed the ramp and returned to his seat.

"Oh brother. Laying it on a bit thick there Mike?" Kacey stated.

"What was your girlfriend's name again?" Natalia asked.

"Strap in sweetheart." Kacey stated.

Mike laughed. "Okay darling." He stated which earned him a dirty look from Kacey, while Natalia laughed.

Kacey started the shuttle and taxied into position. "Close air lock door and lower atmosphere." She ordered. "All escort flyers line up behind us." Six Stingers moved into position.

"You did clear this flight with Kate, right?"

"I did and once we get around the front of Andromeda you can wave at her. She is watching." Kacey told her. "Open launch doors." Kacey saluted Kate and release the brake when the doors were fully opened. They shot out of the Hanger. She held position until the stingers were around the shuttle. She checked her instruments and her watch.

"I know you said this was a memorial but is anything else going on?"

"I will let you know in about fifteen minutes. So sit back and enjoy the ride."

"Does this have anything to do with removing some of the ashes from the urns?"

"Trust me, just for a few minutes more and all will be explained."

"All right but just because everyone on the Bridge is probably listening to us."

"And watching us also. We are all on camera today. Put those headphones on and you can talk directly to the Bridge." Natalia put on the headphones and could hear Kate's laughter in her ears.

"We are listening and have you on the view screen so behave out there." Kate stated.

They travelled for several minutes until Kacey pulled back on the throttles and brought the shuttle to a stop. The stingers surrounded they.

"We are at the coordinates, Andromeda."

"We are all set on this end, Shamrock. You are good to go." Kate responded.

Kacey opened the paper and began to read while soft hymns played in the background. "After her country was decimated by the last war, Queen Natalia moved what was left of her people to the planetoid of Marcus Prime. For over sixty years they flourished and built a life, until twenty one seventy six when Earth quakes started. For several weeks the quakes grew stronger until twenty July twenty one seventy six, when their home was destroyed. Today, twelve June twenty one eighty, we send out this memorial buoy to honor the men and women who were born, lived and died during the sixty seven years they inhabited Marcus Prime. May they never be forgotten. Inside this beacon is the full History of Marcus Prime along with a small amount of the mingled ashes of three of the four queens who ruled this planetoid, the first Queen Natalia, her daughter Queen Merida, and her granddaughter Queen Anna Marie. May their spirits always keep watch over this section of space. Let this beacon be an everlasting memorial to the first humans to colonize a planet other than Earth." She refolded the paper. Mike released his harness and brought the firing button to Natalia. "Natalia Esperanza O'Malley, the last Queen of Marcus Prime will release the buoy."

Natalia pressed the button. They all heard the soft whoosh as the buoy was launched into space.

"The buoy is away." Mike stated. They watched the small thrusters propel the memorial beacon to the exact coordinates of the destroyed planetoid.

Kacey checked her readouts. "Is the beacon transmitting?"

"Yes, we can hear it loud and clear. You can finish your speech." Kate answered.

Kacey reopened the paper. "From this day forward, all travelers through this region will be able to access the History of Queen Natalia, her people and Marcus Prime. May all races live in peace."She folded the paper again. "All ships prepare salute." Kacey and the ships around them fired off three rounds in a twenty one gun salute. Through their earphones they could hear the haunting strains of The Last Post. The final notes dies away. She looked over at Natalia who had tears in her eyes. "Would you like to say a few words?"

"I would like that very much." Natalia answered. "As the last queen to have the pleasure of ruling Marcus Prime, a small part of me will forever be in the space dust that was once our home. Future generations will only read about our lives and we will be a part of History. Marcus Prime will never be forgotten. We will never forget." She nodded to Kacey that she was finished.Tears flowed freely. Kacey handed her several tissues while she cried.

"Andromeda we are returning."

"Kacey can we stay for a few minutes more?" Natalia asked.

"Of course we can. Andromeda ignore that last transmission."

"Take all the time you need." Kate told them.

Kacey removed her harness. She knelt by Natalia's side and unhooked the safety harness before she took the smaller woman into her arms. Natalia lay her head on the strong shoulder and cried. She drew strength and comfort from the arms that surrounded her.

The sobs tapered off. "I thought I had come to terms with Marcus Prime being destroyed." She said softly.

"Honey that is not something anyone could ever come to terms with. You were born there. It was your home. The only home you knew. Your memories will always remain of Marcus Prime even though it no longer exists. Hold onto the memories and the knowledge that, that beacon will remind travelers that at one time, Marcus Prime did exist. The entire History of Marcus Prime is loaded into that Beacon. This whole ceremony was beamed back to Earth. Minister Carmelo and I have worked for several weeks to get all the information loaded into that beacon."

Natalia wiped her eyes. "Everyone witnessed my breaking down."

"What everyone witness was your heart break at the loss of your home, your life and your heritage."

"What touched me the most was the beauty of the words that you wrote, the music, the amount of work and thought you put into this memorial. Thank you."

"Sweetheart you are very welcome. Do you want to remain here or head back."

"I am ready to head back."

"I will have Mike fly us home while you and I sit in the back."

"Will you hold me?"

"Always, Natalia. Always." Kacey looked at Mike who stood up to move to the pilot's chair. Kacey moved out of his way but was stopped by the headphones. "Oh no."

"What is it?"

"We did not take the headphones off."

"What does that mean?"

"It means that everything we just said was transmitted back to Andromeda and Earth."

"Are you joking?"

"Kate did you hear us?"

"Every word. Are you two finished making everyone of the Bridge cry?"

"There are not many dry eyes here on Earth either Captain." General Millhouse stated.

Natalia buried her face in Kacey's shoulder. Kacey removed their headphones and helped Natalia to the back of the shuttle where they sat on one of the fold down beds. "Take us back, Mike."

"Roger Kacey." He put the headphones on. "Andromeda we are heading back. All ships return to Andromeda."

"Roger Mike." Kate stated. She looked around the Bridge where the crew wiped their eyes.

"Captain that was beautiful." Rich said.

"Did ye know it would be that touching?" Liam asked.

"No. Kacey planned every part of this. I did get to read the eulogy, but everything else including the twenty one gun salute and Taps were kept quiet."

"Captain we have an incoming message from Earth."

"On screen."

"Captain Jensen."

"Prime Minister Carmelo, what can I do for you?"

"On behalf of the all the former residents of Marcus Prime would you pass along our gratitude to Colonel O'Malley on the beautiful memorial?"

"I will Prime Minister."

"Would you also pass along to Natalia, that anytime she wants to return as our Queen, her position is here."

"I will tell her."

"Thank you Captain. We will see you in a few weeks when you land."

"We look forward to that Minister." The screen went dark.

"Will ye be telling Natalia what the minister said?"

"Yes she deserves the right to make that choice."

"Good.."

Kacey held Natalia all the way back to Andromeda. Natalia leaned into the strength and stability that Kacey offered. Her eyes were closed. She was emotionally drained.

"Sweetheart, I need to tell you one more thing." Kacey stated.

Without opening her eyes, Natalia asked, "what is it?"

"When Minister Carmelo and I were talking about the memorial, she asked me to tell you that if you want to retake the throne, the position is yours. She also asked me not to say anything until after the memorial."

"Can we talk about this later?"

"Of course we can. Whenever you are ready."

"I am sorry I fell apart like that."

"No need to apologize. You have to take your condition into consideration. Remember when you were carrying the twins, you would get emotional over the sayings on the tea bag tags. Your hormones are playing a big part right now. Everyone understands."

"I hope so. It was an emotional time. When we get back, can we just go back to our quarters?"

"Of course. I will be there as long as you need me to be."

"Forever?"

"And beyond that. When we get back do you want to go see Doctor Amstell?"

"No, I just want to be with you."

"Then you have me."

"Kacey we will be landing in two minutes."

"Thank you Mike." Kacey stated. "Talia, we will go back to our quarters and later I will pick up the children from Day Care then go get lunch. I will cancel the girls practice and tonight we will lock out the rest of the universe."

"That sounds heavenly."

"You will not have to worry about cooking either. I will also get dinner for us later. You can rest from the emotions of this morning. I did not mean to upset you as it did. That was not my intention."

"I was emotional because it was a beautiful memorial not because I was upset. You are right the hormones are in an uproar."

The shuttle landed. As soon as it was safe the ramp opened. Kacey helped Natalia off the shuttle, with an arm around her waist, they walked to the lift.

"Deck four." Kacey ordered. The lift took them to their deck. They walked slowly to their quarters. "Would you like to take a nice relaxing bath?"

"No, but I would like to lie down for awhile."

"Are you all right?"

"Sweetheart, I am fine, just emotionally drained. Would you lay with me?"

"Of course I will. Come on let's get you into some comfortable clothes."

Kacey helped her change and into bed. They laid together with Natalia wrapped within her arms.

"Kacey I meant what I said earlier. I am not upset in any way. The beauty of your words touched my very soul."

"It was a labor of love. A way to honor your family and people. Even though I had never met them, I feel as though I know them. From what you have told me, and from knowing and loving you. I also know that by honoring them, I honor you."

Natalia sniffed as tears filled her eyes. "That was beautiful."

"Close your eyes and relax." Kacey said softly and moved her hands in circles on Natalia's back. You sleep now. Once you are asleep I will go pick up the children and get lunches for us and the children."

"I would like that." Natalia snuggled in Kacey's arms as the strong hands kept up their soothing motions. Sleep overtook her. Kacey lay for several minutes.

"Good girl, just relax." Kacey said, as she felt Natalia fall deeper into sleep. She held Natalia and fought off the pull of sleep. Kacey slowly slipped from Natalia's arms. The younger woman grumbled but did not wake up. She grasped Kacey's pillow.

Kacey picked up her boots and went into the living room, pulling the door closed behind her. She sat down and pulled her boots on before she left their quarters. Kate was walking off the lift before Kacey reached the lift.

"How is Natalia?"

"It was an emotional time that the pregnancy hormones intensified. I talked her into taking a nap. I am on my way to pick up the children and get lunch for us. Walk with me?"

"Good I need to talk to you. Minister Carmelo told me about her offer to step down if Natalia want to take back the throne."

"I told Natalia about that."

"What did she say?"

"That it was something she wanted to wait to discuss."

"What will you do if she decides to return to the throne?"

"I have a few options." Kacey stated.

"That is not telling me a damn thing."

"You are correct."

"That means you are not going to share them with your big sister."

"Older sister, Kate and no I am not going to share them. Talia and I will let everyone in on things after we have discussed it." They entered the Day Care room. An aide met them.

"Captain, Colonel, is there something I can help you with?"

"Alice, I will be taking Caitlyn and Patrick early today. They are vital parts of the cheering up committee."

"We watched the memorial on the monitors. It was beautiful and had us all teary eyed."

"Thank you."

"I will get the children. They have eaten lunch." She walked to the area where the small children played and pointed to Kacey. They dropped the toys they were playing with.

"Mommy." Patrick yelled and ran to her. Caitly headed for Kate and almost knocked her over. Kacey put out a hand to steady her.

"When are you going to learn to center yourself so that you do not get knocked onto your butt?" Kacey laughed and picked Patrick up.

"Probably about the same time that I can beat you in a foot race." Kate answered.

"When we get home, I will come get you every morning to go running with me."

"Let's not go overboard here." Kate joked. "Do you still run every morning?"

"I try to get in a run everyday. Maybe not in the mornings but sometime throughout the day."

"Let me guess, you run twenty five kilometers." Kate stated, as they left the Day Care room.

"Sometimes more." Kacey answered with a straight face then laughed at the shocked look of Kate's. "Honestly it is more like five kilometers most days."

"It should be against the law to have as much energy as you have. Where are we headed now?"

"Mess Hall. I promised Talia lunch when she woke up."

"See Grandma?" Patrick asked.

"Yes buddy you will see grandma and maybe even Poppy."

"Get cookies?" Caitlyn asked.

"If you are good, grandma may have cookies for you."

"Have you been good Caitlyn?" Kate asked.

"Yes Kay Kay."

"They are always good." Kacey stated.

"Then they must take after Natalia. When you were their age, you were a total hellion."

"Hellion Kate?"

"How many times did you get into trouble, especially with that staircase?"

"That is why I have already asked the maintenance people install a gate at home."

"You are not even going to give them the chance to stretch their legs and climb."

"They both climb quite well and do not need any practice." Kacey told her as they walked into the Mess Hall where Liam and Patricia were having lunch.

"Poppy." Patrick yelled. Kacey put him down. He ran to Liam who picked him up.

"Little Mac are ye being a good boy for your mams?"

"Yes Poppy."

"You are lucky dad. No is still his favorite word most of the time."

Patricia took Caitlyn from Kate's arms. "How is my little princess?"

"Mom."

"Hush Kacey. All my granddaughters are princesses."

"Cookie, gramma."

"Can they have cookies?"

"They have had their lunch."

Patricia signaled for one of the servers to bring cookies for the children. They also brought coffee. "How is Natalia?"

They sat down. "She is resting right now. This morning was very emotional for her."

"We watched it on the monitors. There was not a dry eye in here. Especially after what you said to Natalia."

"Speaking of Talia, I told her I would bring back lunch for us."

"I will ask one of the servers to get it ready for you. What about dinner?"

"Thank you. I do not want to leave her alone for too long. I will pick dinner up later."

"How is she feeling otherwise?"

"A little bit of morning sickness but not as bad as last time." The server brought the covered containers to the table. "I need to get back." Kacey stated and stood up.

"I will give you a hand." Kate offered. "You cannot handle both children and your lunches."

"Thanks Kate. I did not think this plan out or I would have brought the stroller."

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page