The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


Kacey held Natalia as they watched the antics of their children. Her hand rubbed circles on Natalia's stomach and the precious bundle within. Natalia sighed in contentment as she relaxed in Kacey's strong arms.

"This is heaven."

"I have to agree babe. Holding you and watching our children with no life or death crises staring at us is heaven." Kacey agreed. "Would you like me to get you another cup of tea or something to nibble on?"

"Are you trying to get me fat Colonel?"

"No I just thought that, well, that the baby might need..."

"Easy champ, I was joking with you. I would like some juice."

Kacey kissed the top of Natalia's head and stood up. She went to the cooling unit and filled a glass with apple juice and poured herself another cup of coffee.

"Would you check on the children? It got quiet too quickly."

"Of course." She handed the juice to Natalia, placed her coffee on the low table, and went to find their children. She started to laugh. "Talia come here."

"What is it?"

"You have to see this."

Natalia joined Kacey and smiled. "That is just too precious." She stated.

"Computer record the O'Malley children."

"Recording." The computer stated. The children lay on the floor. Patrick's head rested on Caitlyn's leg. They were both asleep.

"Would you put them in their cribs?"

"I will take care of it. Computer end recording." Kacey ordered. She bent down to pick Patrick up first and placed him in his crib. Then put Caitlyn in hers. She pulled the nursery door partially closed. "Now what can I do for you?"

"How about we sit and talk." They walked back to the couch.

"What would you like to talk about?"

"Should I return to the throne? Do you have any thoughts about what I should do?"

"Honey what ever you decide to do, I will support your decision."

"That is not what I asked you. I would like to hear what you think about it. You must have some thoughts as it concerns our family."

"I do have a few thoughts, but I do not want to influence your decision."

"Just like when we first met. You wanted me to stay, but would not ask because you did not want to influence me. I had to eavesdrop on your conversation with Patricia to learn what you really wanted. Now tell me what are your thoughts."

"All right, here is what I think. If you decide to return to the throne, I will become your Queen's Consort, or Head of Security or whatever you need me to be. If I were to be selfish, I would say that times like we have right now would be a thing of the past. You know how much I have missed of our children's first two years, due to the obligations to the ship and protecting Kate. If you become Queen, you will face the same feelings. The most selfish reason is that I do not want to share you with all those people." Kacey stopped and took a sip of her coffee. "On the other hand, those are your people. You were born on Marcus Prime. Your family has ruled over them for generations. They could still be considered your responsibility. What needs to be decided is what do you want to give up? There are only so many hours in the day. Find out first how active a role you will have. Is the queen considered an actual ruling monarch or a figure head?"

"The title was more of a figure head. The Central Committee was the actual ruling body. I sat in when they were in session."

"Did you have any say in the proceedings?"

"Only to open the sessions and to make the tie breaking decisions. I was able to make suggestions but the committee had to do the voting."

"How often were they in session and who made of the committee?"

"They would meet one or two days a month unless there was something pressing that needed to be decided. Once the constitution was adopted, that was all they had to meet. As for the make up, each district had two representatives that were chosen to serve."

"They were elected?"

"No, at one time they were elected, but that was changed when my great grandmother moved them to Marcus Prime. After they were settled, she asked the people to submit names of those they wanted to represent them. From each district four names were pulled. Two to serve and two alternates in the event that something happened to either of the original two. They would serve a two year term with no repeats. The only office that was elected was the Prime Minister and only the committee members voted. The Prime Minister served a term of ten years and they could serve repeat terms if the committee voted them back in. That was the way it used to be. Now I do not have any idea how they handle that now."

"Then before any decision is made you need to talk to Minister Carmelo and the committee to find out what is to be expected of you. You can do that either before or after we land. You also need to find out where they settled. If it is close by you could commute to the committee sessions."

"Thank you sweetheart."

"It was my extreme pleasure. After we land, I will be tied up in debriefings. You can schedule your talk with Minister Carmelo for that time."

"I would rather talk face to face."

"The house will be available for any meetings you need to have. Once we land, we will have a four day weekend. I will try to at least get the nursery moved to our home. I can contact the Academy to see if I can recruit any cadets. Scratch that, there will not be any cadets available due to summer vacation. I will figure something out. After the debriefings, we will have twelve weeks vacation. Once I get everything moved to our home, we can take that time to fix the house up just the way we want."

"Does this furniture stay here?"

"Yes all we have to worry about is the nursery, the replicator and our personal stuff. We can take that long weekend to get whatever we have left to pack, taken care of."

"Will we stay here in our quarters after we land?"

"We can. I can get everything packed into my shuttle and rover to be moved home."

"How far away from the launch are is your I mean our home?"

"About thirty minutes. The brass may even have moving people here to help."

"Would they do that?"

"They would because until everything is out of the quarters, the cleaning crews would not be able to come in to clean. As far as I know, Andromeda will be going back into space after it is overhauled."

-------------------------------

Earth was visible in the view screen. They would be in position to watch the launch of the next Star Traveler in two days. There was an air of sadness that their voyage was nearing the end. They would have one final party the night before the launch.

"Captain we have an incoming message."

"On screen."

The view screen lit up to show Admiral Tacher and General Millhouse.

"Good morning Captain."

"Good morning sirs."

"We have a slight change in plans. Is Colonel O'Malley available?"

"I will get her." Kate stated. "Colonel O'Malley to the Bridge."

"On my way."

"Is there a problem sir?"

"No not al all. The launch is on schedule for thirteen hundred hours on thirty June." The lift opened and Kacey walked onto the Bridge.

"Good morning sirs." She said.

"Colonel, there has been a change in plans. The prison transport will arrive tomorrow around eleven hundred hours to remove the two prisoners from your ship. Colonel it will be your responsibility to make sure they are both put on that transport."

"I will see to that, Admiral." Kacey replied.

"Civilians are still on schedule to be taken off ship one July to three July, except for those who are slated to remain on board until the ship has landed. The other change is that after the Artemis has launched we would like you to rendezvous with her and transfer all the working stingers over to her. The area they will be travelling will need the smaller ships."

"As far as the civilians are concerned sir, they have all been notified and will disembark deck by deck."

"I will have my people go through all the stingers and make sure they are in prime condition."

"It seems that you have everything well in hand, Captain. We will be in touch on three July with the final preparations for the crew and families to disembark."

"We will be waiting Admiral."

"Safe landing Captain."

The screen went dark. Kate sighed. "Ladies and gentlemen that is how we officially know our journey together is almost over when the sign off is no longer safe journey, but safe landing."

"It has been a remarkable journey, Captain. I am sad to see it come to an end." Rich stated.

"Tis true lad." Liam said.

"I need to get back to the Hanger to tell my people about their new duties." Kacey stated and headed for the lift.

"I will walk with you." Kate stated. "Commander you have the Bridge." They walked onto the lift. "Hanger." They walked off seconds later.

With out the guard flights the Marines were milling around. Most looked bored. Mike came over to them.

"Good morning Captain."

"Mike would you call all the troops together? We have a large task to do."

"Certainly Colonel." He went to the Hanger office and picked up the microphone. "Attention all Marines, report to the hanger office immediately."

The Marines gathered around the two women. "There has been a change in plans. After the Artemis launches we will hook up with her and transfer all the working stingers over to her. I know you are all bored with nothing to do." They all laughed "So this will be a big job." The laughs turned to cheers.

"Did they give a reason Colonel?"

"The area that Artemis will be heading into, we know nothing about and they will need the extra ships. Go through every stinger. Replace the systems that you think are not working at peak capacity. Change the oil, kick the tires, and spruce them up. I do not want to send the dirty flyers."

"We will get it done Colonel."

The Marines dispersed and headed to get tools. "They look happy to have work to do."

"They are. Marines get bored when they have nothing to do."

"Does that go for Colonels also?"

"Hell yes.Come into my shuttle, Kate."

"What were you doing in there?"

"Going through my systems. With no flights or even reports to do I was checking the wires. Or would rather have a coffee?"

"Silly question, lead the way to the coffee."

 

They walked into Kacey's office, where she poured them each a coffee from her carafe. They sat next to each other.

"I talked to mom earlier. She said she would take the kids off the ship for us."

"She told me the same thing. According to protocol, the lower ranks will leave first. There will be a receiving line with all the department heads. They will shake our hands then just before they step onto the ramp they will turn and salute. At the bottom of the ramp they will turn and salute again. After all the lower ranks are off ship then the department heads will do the same until only you, dad and I are left on board. We will walk off together."

"Will the Marines still line the ramp and walkway to the reception area?"

"Yes and they will do the Arch Of Swords for the department heads and us."

"From that, I take it that day formals will be the uniform of the day."

"For the Marines, yes, but for the crew, our regular dress uniforms will be worn. Dress whites are reserved for the banquet."

"Kate I do not like the idea of the three of us walking off together."

"Why? Do you have another solution?"

"Yes, dad and I leave the ship while you stand at the head of the ramp. We salute you and then wait for
you to leave before we walked under the arch. Then at the bottom we salute you again. You deserve that sign of respect from us. You have led us for four years. You are the Captain. Why do you think I would salute every time I flew. It was a sign of respect. No matter how angry I was with you, I would always salute."

"Damn Kacey, I did not know you felt that way. Did you know that every one of your pilots saluted before they shot out of the Hanger?"

"I hoped they did I did not make it mandatory."

"We can bring up your idea when we talk to the brass."

"Let me bring it up. That way you will not come across as having a God complex."

Kate laughed. "All right little sister."

----------------------------------------

"The prison transport is in the hanger. Bring in the prisoners one at a time." Kacey ordered.

"Roger Colonel. We are on route with Jessup."

Within minutes Jessup was walked through the door escorted by four armed Marines. Kate walked into the Hanger as Jessup was brought in. Her task was to verify that the prisoners were taken off ship and to sign the transfer papers to make it official. Jessup paused as he noticed the two women. A push from one of the guards got him walking again. The shackles around his hands and feet clanked loudly.

Kacey started to walk towards him but Kate's hand on her arm stopped her. With a shake of her head she told Kacey not to go any closer. The Marines who witnessed the transfer moved into position around the two, to discourage any contact. As soon as Jessup was secured, Devoe was brought into the Hanger. Unlike Jessup he did not stop. He passed them with his eyes straight ahead until he too was secured in the transport. The guard backed away as the transport ramp closed. The transport started.

"Close air lock doors." Kacey ordered. The large doors closed and they heard the hiss of atmosphere being released and the launch doors opened. They stood silently and watched the transport leave the Hanger. When the air lock doors opened Kate turned to Kacey.

"What were you going to do?"

"It does not matter."

"Yes it does."

Kacey sighed. "I was going to tell him that I forgive him."

"You are a good person little sister. I am not sure I would have done that."

"You would have Kate. Remember I am the one that holds a grudge, not you."

"Not in this case. I cannot find it in me to forgive either one of them. They attacked you and you came very close to dying. Dad told me last night exactly how close you came."

"Come into my office and you can tell me." As was their habit, they headed for coffee as soon as they entered the office. "Now tell me." Kate place her cup on the desk and took a shaky breath. Kacey sat next to her and placed a comforting hand on her arm. "Hey Kate, how bad could it have been. I am here to talk about it. Besides I did not sense the Death Coach this time."

"It was no God damn joke Kacey." Kate snapped.

"Easy Kate." Kacey stood up and went to the replicator. "Brandy neat." She ordered. She picked up the glass and handed it to Kate. "Drink and when you are ready, you can tell me."

Kate took a drink of the amber liquid. It was several minutes before she could talk. "The antibiotics were not working. Neither were the ice blankets. When your temperature reached one oh six, they put you into a medical coma and on total life support to save your organs especially your brain. Doctor McCloud rescinded the four hour rule she always hit us with. There was a constant vigil both inside and outside your room of those who were not on search duties. No one wanted to leave your side. The children were brought down to be with us. The doctor called dad out and told him that even if they did find the serum that no one was even sure existed, there was very little chance of your surviving. And if by some chance the serum was found and administered the possibility of brain damage was very real due to the high fever. Mike and several others worked nonstop for almost three days until he found the serum."

"He told me that he had help of a divine nature. He asked if I believed in a higher power. And that they had torn every inch of Jessup's quarters apart and found nothing. He closed his eyes and bowed his head and asked for help. As soon as he opened his eyes he saw the mattress. Even though they had already checked the mattress for cuts, he knew they needed to recheck it. They pulled the stuffing out and found the serum." Kacey stated. "I heard a rumor that Doctor McCloud made you take a sedative. It that true?"

"It is true. I even tried your old trick, but someone had the foresight to warn the Doctor and she stayed until the pills started to dissolve. Let me tell you that was one foul taste. I swallowed them as an act of self preservation." Kacey laughed. "I have no idea how you did that when you were a child."

"This is getting way too dark and depressing again. Find another topic to discuss."

Kate finished her brandy. "There is no ship's business to discuss. We could always go back to our old standby, sex."

The both laughed for several minutes. "Kate I know you have not done portraits in many years, but would you do something for me?"

"If I can."

"I would like to commission a series of portraits."

"Do you want me to use live models or photographs?"

"Photographs because I want them to be a surprise." Kacey pulled the photographs out from under the blotter on her desk and handed them to Kate. "I love the one you did of Anya that hangs in your living room at home. I would like one of Natalia for ours."

"You said a series of portraits."

"I would also like to have the children to flank Natalia's portrait including the one that has yet to be born."

"What sort of time limit am I looking at?"

"I would like the one of Natalia to be a birthday present for her next year when she turns thirty. The children do not have a time limit."

"That gives me over a year. I believe it can be done."

"Do you want it to be the same size as Anya's?"

"That would be great. Now for the dreaded 'M' word. How much?"

"I will tell you this. Wait until you see the finished product then you can pay what you think it is worth."

"That is a deal."

"I should get back to the Bridge." Kate finished her coffee and stood up.

"Hang on I will go with you. The troops know what they are doing and do not need me looking over their shoulders."

They walked out of the office together.

To be continued...

 

Author's Page

Return to the Academy