"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series. 

   Tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com   

 

SCROLL II: THE GREAT CAMPAIGN WITHIN THE DOMAIN

SUMMARY:
After the events of the first story the village must deal with the fallout that follows. All seems calm until Gabrielle gets word about some of the other tribes have heard about the village and the events that happened there. The various tribes state that they're holding a summit between all the village's and request for Gabrielle to come as queen and bring some emissaries from the newly discovered secret Sapphire Snow Owl Tribe to explain some of the rumors that have been going around. But during the summit tensions between the different groups there escalate. As queen, Gabrielle tries to restore order before things get out of hand. But after a tragic event happens during the summit, the various tribes blame another. This sparks an all out war amung the whole amazon nation. It's up to Gabrielle, Xena and their amazon allies who oppose the war, to put an end to the violence and bloodshed before it completely destroys the Amazon's for good.

NOTES:
-This is the 2nd story in my "THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series.Following :
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL I: THE NEW ORDER     
 So it's highly suggested you read that before this one if you haven't already. As this is a direct sequel and knowing the events and/or characters introduced in the
 previous story are important for understanding the plot of this story.      
      
-The word "Campaign" can be used as another term for war  
 & the word "Domain" can be used as another term for kingdom                                       
__________________________________________

INTRO QUOTE:
"War does not determine who is right, only who is left."

__________________________________________

Pt.1
It was a beautiful morning as a bit of sunlight seeped in through the covered window of the large room. As the lump of covers on the bed shifted slightly before returning to their previous motionless state. Not long after there was the sound of a door opening followed by footsteps that stopped next to the bed and a quick sigh. The lump felt a small nudge. In response it moved for a moment then settled back down. The lump quickly fell another nudge and this time let out a small muffled groan as it shifted again and returned to being still once more. Another sigh could be heard as footsteps returned and the curtain to room was thrown open and the bright sunlight filled the room. The footsteps then came back over to the bed and the uncooperative lump felt another light push and repeated its previous actions once again. That was when a pair of hands grabbed onto the end of the blankets and gave them one good tug. Pulling them right off the bed and onto the floor.

GABRIELLE 
Gods!

Gabrielle shielded her sleepy eyes from the bright sunlight that beamed right in her face from the window.

XENA 
(Joking tone) Morning sunshine.

Xena smirked as she folded her arms across her chest and looked at Gabrielle who was stll getting her eyes to adjust to the sudden burst of light.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Funny.

Gabrielle sat up and quickly grabbed the blanket to cover herself.

GABRIELLE 
(Slightly annoyed) Damn it Xena I'm not wearing anything. You know you're lucky our bedroom is on the second floor. What if someone was looking up here?

XENA 
(Joking) Then they would've gotten to see a whole new side to their queen.

Xena laughed as Gabrielle picked up a pillow and threw it at her.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) You're terrible you know that?

Xena caught the pillow and walked up to the side of the bed as she tossed it back on the bed and leaned in close to Gabrielle.

XENA 
(Joking) Just the worst.

Xena smirked as she gave Gabrielle a kiss. Gabrielle smiled as Xena pulled away.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Well as long as you're aware.

Gabrielle stretched as she looked out the window at the sunny day that awaited her.

GABRIELLE 
I guess I should get up anyway.

XENA 
(Joking) Not if you want the reputation of being a lazy queen.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Funny.

Gabrielle got out of bed and began getting dressed. While Xena closed the curtain and went downstairs. Not long after Xena held open the front door of their house as Gabrielle stepped outside into the village with Xena right behind. Gabrielle smiled as she took in a deep breath of fresh air and looked around at the Amazon village that she and Xena had been calling home for the past number of months. The secret village of Saphire Snow Owl Tribe. It had been about three or four months since Gabrielle, Xena and their amazon allies had fought to save the village and it's people from the slavers that threatened to enslave the women living there and learn the secrets that village held. Fortunately they were able to defend the village and keep the important knowledge of the fountain of youth being hidden there from being discovered and got rid of the slavers. Life in the village was now back to it's normal routine with the residents going through their daily lives.

?
(Joking tone) Youu whoo, your highness.

Gabrielle looked over to see some of her and Xena's friends that they had made since coming to the village. Gabrielle smiled as she and Xena walked over to the other women.

GABRIELLE 
Morning Skyla, Clover 

SKYLA 
(Joking) Did her majesty get enough of her beauty sleep?

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Hey I get enough of that from Xena. I don't need to hear it from you too.

Skyla laughed as Clover made a bad attempt to hide her smirk.

GABRIELLE 
You too Clover.

CLOVER 
(Playing innocent) What I didn't say anything.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Exactly my point. You're just as bad as Xena.

XENA 
(Joking tone) Hey what did I do?

GABRIELLE 
You're the one who told everyone that it quote, takes a literal army to get me out of bed in the morning.

Xena looked away slightly as she pretend not to know what Gabrielle was talking about.

XENA 
(Playing innocent) Oh did I?

Gabrielle shook her head as she smiled.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) The things I put up with as queen.

The group went together to the mess hall and got breakfast. Afterwards a crowd had gathered around the practice field as the spectators watched a few friendly sparing matches. Gabrielle sat on the fence with Skyla, Clover, Kai, Iris, Fauna and Amarice standing near her. All of them watching as Xena faced off against Ephiny in hand to hand combat.

XENA 
Come on Ephiny I know you're better than that.

Ephiny blocked Xena's punch with her arm as she swung up her leg for a kick.

EPHINY 
I'm just getting warmed up Xena.

Xena quickly ducked out of the way of the kick and swept out Ephany's other leg from under her. Ephiny went down but quickly caught herself, rolled backwards and sprung right back to her feet. But Xena was right up on her. Ephiny moved out of the way of Xena's attack as threw a punch in what she thought was Xena's blind spot. However Xena's extraordinary senses picked up on the incoming strike. Just as it was about to land Xena shot out her hand, caught Ephiny by her wrist. Before Ephiny knew what was happening, Xena twisted her arm and flipped her to the ground while still keeping hold of Ephiny's wrist Xena looked down at her and smirked knowing that she had won. Ephiny layed on her back and tapped the ground with her free hand to signal that she surrenderd. The crowd cheared with Xena being announced the winner of the match as released Ephiny from the arm hold and pulled her opponent and friend to her feet.

EPHINY 
One of these days I'm gonna beat you Xena.

XENA 
(Joking) You can try.

The two laughed as they walked over to where Gabrielle and the others were watching.

SKYLA 
That was awesome.

CLOVER 
Yeah. Though I don't think anyone's gonna be able to beat Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Maybe you should just retire undefeated.

AMARICE 
Seriously..

Fauna who was there as well nodded in agreement with the others.

KAI
I could beat her.

Everyone looked at Kai.

KAI
What I could.

XENA 
Well come on then. 

Xena began backing away towards the middle of the field as she playfully taughted Kai.

KAI 
I'm not feeling it today.

XENA 
(Joking) Oh so you're just all talk. Or are you scared.

Everyone around Kai ooed at Xena's comment and got shot a mean look from the short tempered Amazon. 

KAI 
Alright Xena, you're on.

Kai hopped up and followed Xena to the center of the field. Everyone watched as the match got underway. Though it was over almost as soon as it started. Xena smiled as she held out her hand to help Kai up who was flat on her back. Kai mumbled as she smacked Xena's hand away as she stood up and walked of the field past the others.

SKYLA 
Come on Kai don't be a bad sport.

CLOVER 
Yeah Xena beats everyone.

KAI 
Whatever. I'm going to practice by myself.

The group watched Kai walk off hearing her mutter to herself as she left earshot.

KAI 
Damn show off.

Xena walked over to the group and got a nudge from Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
You could've gone easy on her you know.

XENA 
I did.

Gabrielle rolled her eyes as everyone decided that was enough friendly competition for one day. The group disbursed as everyone went off to do their own things. Gabrielle had both her arms wrapped around one of Xena's as they went back to their house. 

GABRIELLE 
So now what do you wanna do?

XENA 
Well after all that I don't know if you noticed but I need a bath.

Xena headed for the bathroom.

GABRIELLE 
Hmm a nice bath actually sounds pretty good right now. Care if I join you?

Xena stopped at the bathroom door and opened it as she looked at Gabrielle and smiled.

XENA 
Do I ever?

Not long after the two were soaking in a large tub full of nice hot water. Gabrielle sat between Xena's legs as Xena ran a soapy cloth over Gabrielle's bare back and shoulders. Gabrielle sighed at the relaxing feeling of the water and Xena's gentle touch on her body. Once Xena was done washing Gabrielle's back she put her arm around Gabrielle's midsection and gently pulled her back to lean against her. Gabrielle smiled as she leaned her head back and Xena ran the cloth down each of her arms and back up again. She then moved it up and down the front of Gabrielle's torso. Gabrielle closed her eyes and sighed happily as she felt Xena pay some extra attention to her chest.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Really making sure those are clean huh?

XENA 
(Sly tone) Oh don't worry I'll be sure to do the same for other areas too soon enough.

Gabrielle moaned slightly as Xena let go of the cloth and cupped both of her boobs in her hands, giving them a light squeeze. Xena kissed Gabrielle's neck as she continued to knead Gabrielle's chest. Gabrielle reached up behind her as she ran her hand through Xena's hair turned her head to met Xena for a passionate kiss. As they kissed Gabrielle felt Xena lightly pinch and tug on her nipples. She arched her back slightly and moaned into Xena's mouth. Xena let go and traced her fingers over the sensitive flesh as the two broke from their kiss.

XENA 
(Seductive tone) Now let's take care of some other areas.

Xena ran her hands down Gabrielle's chest and stomach. She stroked her fingertips along the top and inside of Gabrielle's thighs as she moved her legs over top of Gabrielle's to move hers further apart. Gabrielle felt Xena move her fingers up her thigh and stomach and down towards her center. Gabrielle moaned as she felt Xena lightly stroke her finger along her womanhood. She whispered Xena's name as she ran her hand along Xena's thigh. Xena put her other arm around Gabrielle's midsection, holding her close as she pushed two fingers inside Gabrielle's heated center. Gabrielle let out a moan as she felt Xena enter her. Xena kissed her neck as she began weaving her fingers in and out of Gabrielle. She smiled as she heard Gabrielle moaning her name. Continuing to move in and out of Gabrielle's warmth, Xena took her other hand and began rubbing Gabrielle's sweet spot. She felt Gabrielle's hips moved slightly forward as she responded to Xena's touch. She continued for a few moments before whispering sensuality in Gabrielle's ear.

XENA 
(Seductive whisper) I wanna try something that I think you'll like.

Gabrielle felt as though her center caught fire as her desire increased from the thought of what Xena had in mind.

GABRIELLE 
(Wanting tone) Yes.

Xena kissed Gabrielle's neck and shoulder as she took her hand away from Gabrielle's clit. Gabrielle felt Xena pulling her fingers almost completely out of her. Xena then slid two fingers from her other hand inside Gabrielle's entrance. Gabrielle moaned as she felt Xena began alternating her strokes inside her. As one pair of fingers were receding, the other two were pushing in.

GABRIELLE 
Gods... Xena...

Gabrielle's body trembled as she felt her orgasism already building. She reached back and put her hand on the back of Xena's neck and held Xena's arm with her other hand as she arched her back. Feeling herself getting closer to her climax. The water in the tub splashed around slighty as Xena began moving in and out of Gabrielle quicker. Gabrielle cried out as she felt the sensation of being entered and pulled out of at the same time. It was completely over stimulating as Gabrielle came hard. Xena heard her blissful cry as Gabrielle pushed against her. Gabrielle arched her hips forward as she hit her high. The sudden movement caused the set of Xena's fingers that weren't currently inside Gabrielle's center to enter her. Gabrielle's voice left her as her mouth hung open in a silent scream of sheer extacy as she was sent even higher into her orgasismic euphoria. Xena felt Gabrielle spasm around her fingers and tremble in her arms. After a few moments Gabrielle collapsed back against Xena as she caught her breath. Xena looked at her.

XENA 
You good?

Gabrielle smiled up at her.

GABRIELLE 
Gods Xena. One of these days you're gonna drive me insane when do stuff like that.

Xena smirked.

XENA 
Hey you're the one that moved.

GABRIELLE 
And what a move it was.

XENA 
Apparently. Well as long as you enjoyed yourself.

GABRIELLE 
Oh I definitely did.

Gabrielle moaned slightly as she felt Xena leave her sensitive core. Xena wrapped her arms around Gabrielle and held her as they kissed.

XENA 
Good to hear.

Gabrielle turned in Xena arms and smirked as she ran her hands over Xena's boobs.

GABRIELLE 
And now it's you're turn. And trust me when I say that I am going to...

Gabrielle was cut off when the two heard a loud knock on the front door. Xena glared over Gabrielle's shoulder at the door on the opposite side of the house.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Apparently have to answer the door.

Gabrielle laughed at Xena's annoyance.

GABRIELLE 
Don't worry you stay right here and I'll be back to take care of you.

Gabrielle gave Xena a kiss as she stood up, got out of the tub and threw on her robe.

XENA 
(Joking) And there goes my view too.

Gabrielle smiled as she shook her head at Xena's comment and left to answer the door.

GABRIELLE 
Oh Amarice, did you need something.

Amarice looked at Gabrielle in her robe and wet hair.

AMARICE 
Sorry hope I'm not interrupting you.

GABRIELLE 
Oh no don't worry about it.

Xena's voice came from the other room, being able to hear the conversation.

XENA 
Yes you are.

Gabrielle looked back for a moment before looking back at Amarice.

GABRIELLE 
She's just kidding.

The two heard Xena shout from the other room again.

XENA 
No I'm not.

Amarice realized that she was definitely interrupting "something" and felt a bit awkward as she stood there.

AMARICE 
I think I should come back later.

Gabrielle let out a slightly embarrassed laugh knowing that Amarice had clearly caught on to what she and Xena were in the middle of doing.

GABRIELLE 
Uh just ignore her. You obviously had a reason for coming over so what did you need Amarice?

Amarice did her best to push past the awkward situation and got down to why she was there.

AMARICE 
Oh right. This came for you.

She handed Gabrielle a scroll that had a seel on it that Gabrielle didn't recognize. 

GABRIELLE 
Who's this from?

AMARICE 
Not sure. One of the scouts that were out on their usual patrol said that a small group of unfamiliar Amazon's gave it to her to be delivered to you.

GABRIELLE 
How did anyone know I was even here?

Amarice shrugged.

GABRIELLE 
Okay?

The two heard Xena shout from the other room again.

XENA 
Great thanks for the message. Now if that's all..

AMARICE 
Okay then. I'm gonna go before Xena kills me.

Gabrielle laughed as she watched Amarice quickly turn around and leave while giving her a knowing expression. She shut the door and opened the scroll, reading it as she walked back to the bathroom. Xena's mood instantly improved as Gabrielle came back into the room. She moved towards the end of the tub as Gabrielle sat on the edge reading the scroll.

XENA 
Now where were we.

Gabrielle sighed as she lowered the parchment to her lap. 

XENA 
What?

GABRIELLE 
I'm not sure.

XENA 
Huh?

GABRIELLE 
Here.

Gabrielle handed Xena the letter and Xena read it. Once done she looked at Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
What in the world is an Amazonian summit?

XENA 
No clue. I'm as in the dark as you about what it is.

GABRIELLE 
I'm sure some of the others will know. I'm gonna go see.

Gabrielle stood up as Xena rested her chin in her hand and sighed.

XENA 
I'm not getting any now am I?

GABRIELLE 
Sorry not this time.

Gabrielle laughed a little as she walked out of the room hearing Xena's annoyed and defeated groan behind her.

GABRIELLE 
Now to figure out what exactly this letter is about.

Pt.2

Gabrielle walked outside as she looked over the letter she received, trying to make sense of what it meant. She decided that if anyone in the village knew it would probably be either Ephiny or Valassca. So she went off to find where either of the two were. Gabrielle looked around the village and eventually found Velasca reading under a tree. Gabrielle walked over to her. She didn't even get to say anything, when without looking up Velasca made it clear that she wasn't all to happy with her presence.

VELASCA 
(Slightly annoyed tone) What do you want Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE 
I don't mean to bother you but I thought you'd be able to help me with something.

VELASCA 
(Slightly annoyed tone) You're queen, you shouldn't need my help.

GABRIELLE 
Yes well even a ruler could use assistance from time to time.

For the first time Velasca glanced up from her paper at Gabrielle.

VELASCA 
(Slightly annoyed tone) Obviously some more than others.

EPHINY 
Oh stop giving her a hard time already.

Velasca and Gabrielle looked and saw Ephiny walking over. Velasca then returned to her reading.

VELASCA 
Why don't you help her then?

While she wasn't exactly happy with Velasca attitude towards their queen, Ephiny decided not to get into an argument with her about it right then. Plus it was no secret that Velasca didn't really like Gabrielle and only tolerated her because of her being queen. Though that was also the reason behind her unwelcoming attitude towards her in the first place. So Ephiny just figured she'd handle whatever it was that Gabrielle wanted.

EPHINY 
Fine.

She looked at Gabrielle.

EPHINY 
Okay Gabrielle what did you need?

Gabrielle handed Ephiny the scroll that she had received.

GABRIELLE 
I got this message and I not really sure what it means. I asked Xena and she didn't know either.

Ephiny opened and read the message. Afterwards she gave Gabrielle back the paper.

EPHINY 
You've been officially been summoned to an Amazon summit.

GABRIELLE 
I get that part, but what does it mean? I've never heard of an Amazon summit.

VELASCA 
Why does that not surprise me?

Gabrielle gave Velasca a brief disapproving look.

GABRIELLE 
(Annoyed tone) Hey I haven't been queen or even an Amazon for all that long you know.

VELASCA 
Trust me I'm very much aware of your overly hastened rise to power.

EPHINY 
(Angry tone) You're out of line Valassca. You may not like it but Gabrielle is your queen and you'll treat her with the respect she deserves.

VELASCA 
How have I been disrespectful. I'm merely stating facts. Gabrielle knows far too little to be in the position she's in. 

EPHINY 
I know full well what you meant.

Ephiny sighed as she returned her attention to Gabrielle.

EPHINY
As much as I hate to admit it, she does kind of have a point though. You do need to learn more about some of the more political aspects of how things are done.

GABRIELLE 
It's kinda hard to do that when I haven't gotten to spend a ton of time with the Amazon's since becoming queen.

EPHINY
I'm not saying it's your fault. If anything it's mine for not telling you this stuff sooner.

GABRIELLE 
Don't worry about it. There's nothing we can do about that now. I'll just work on doing better with this sort of thing going forward.

EPHINY 
Fair enough. And we can start with the Amazonian summit.

GABRIELLE 
Okay so what is it.

XENA
I'm actually curious to know that too.

Gabrielle looked ov her shoulder and saw Xena standing behind her.

EPHINY 
(Joking tone) Nice of you to join us Xena.

VELASCA 
(Annoyed/ Sarcasm) My day just keeps getting better.

Xena smirked knowing full well that Velasca disliked her almost as much as Gabrielle, due to her closeness to Gabrielle. She felt that if it weren't for Xena's involvement, Gabrielle probably would've been ousted as queen a while ago for incompetence. Not to mention that Xena was the only reason that Velasca hadn't directly challenged Gabrielle for her throne. According to Amazon law if a challenge to the throne was made, the current queen had the right to choose a champion to fight in her place. And while Velasca was confident that she could easily beat Gabrielle, she knew that Xena would more than likely choose to fight in Gabrielle's place as her champion. And defeating Xena was a whole different story. She didn't like it but as good as Velasca was, she was aware that Xena could easily out fight her on any day.

EPHINY 
Getting back to the point. The Amazonian summit is actually a fairly rare event where leaders and other higher ups from various tribes gather together. It's really only held in extraordinary circumstances.

GABRIELLE 
Like what?

EPHINY 
Usually it's for dealing anything that could have an impact on the entire Amazon nation. 

GABRIELLE 
According to this letter it says that it's because of what happened here and the ramifications it could cause. We stopped the slavers. How does that effect the rest of the Amazons?

XENA
I think a better question is how did they even find out about this village and what happened. We killed everyone who came here for that exact reason.

Gabrielle lowered her eyes as she remembered making the call for the the surrendered slavers to be executed. Dispite knowing that it needed to be done to protect the village, it was still a difficult decision to have to make and live with. Xena realized Gabrielle's reaction and put her hands on Gabrielle's shoulders to comfort her.

XENA 
Sorry. I know that was hard on you.

Gabrielle reached up and put a hand over Xena's as she looked back at her.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay Xena. It had to be done to protect the village.

She looked back at everyone else as she continued.

GABRIELLE
But Xena's right. They shouldn't even know about this place at all. So how do they?

EPHINY 
No clue. But I suggest you get ready to leave for it soon. You only have a week to get there.

GABRIELLE 
Is that even enough time?

EPHINY 
If you make good time, yes.

GABRIELLE
We better get ready then Xena.

XENA 
Agreed. 

Xena looked at Valassca and Ephiny.

XENA
Ephiny, Velasca I think it would be a good idea for you and a couple other's to come with us. Since neither Gabrielle or myself know what to expect from this sort of thing.

EPHINY 
I've never been to one either but if you think it'll help I'll join you.

VELASCA 
I suppose I'll come. I've got nothing better to do around here anyway.

GABRIELLE 
Good. I'll start packing and Xena you go round up a couple more people you think should come with us.

XENA
Guess it'll be good to be back on the road again for a bit.

So the four women parted ways with Xena going to select others she thought would be the most suited to come along. And Gabrielle, Velasca and Ephiny each respectively gathered what they needed for the trip. That night Gabrielle sat on the bed and looked out the window as her mind wondered about what the coming days might hold. She was pulled from her thoughts as she felt the bed shift as Xena layed on the other side.

XENA 
You okay?

Gabrielle turned to face Xena.

GABRIELLE 
I was just thinking about this whole summit thing. Valassca's right Xena. As queen I don't know nearly what I should. I have no idea what to expect when we get there. What am I supposed to say? I don't even know what they really want.

Xena reached over and took Gabrielle's hand in hers.

XENA 
Hey, come here.

Xena invited Gabrielle to lay down next to her as she held her.

XENA
You are going to be just fine. If you can handle the leader of an army of slavers, I'm sure dealing with some stuffy dignitaries for a few days is gonna be a breeze. Especially for you. You could probably talk circles around anyone there for days.

Gabrielle laughed a little.

GABRIELLE 
Hey.

Xena smiled seeing that she had managed to lighten Gabrielle's mood a bit. She kissed Gabrielle as they settled down for the night.

XENA 
Now let's get some sleep. We'll be leaving early tomorrow morning.

GABRIELLE 
Goodnight Xena.

Morning came and the group of Xena, Gabrielle, Ephiny, Velasca, Fauna and Kai were ready and prepared to set out for the summit. Fauna had been picked because of her being knowledgeable about a wide number of subjects and Ephiny thoght she might be good to have with them for anything that they might need information on. And Velasca selected Kai just because she happened to walk by while she was looking for someone else to bring. Plus another decent fighter on the trip in case they ran into trouble wasn't a bad idea to have around. Especially since Gabrielle and Fauna's fighting abilities were lacking compared to her, Xena and Ephiiy's. 

XENA
Up you go.

Xena helped pull Gabrielle up into Argo's saddle behind her. As everyone else mounted their horses as well.

FAUNA 
Don't you have your own horse Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE 
Nah I just ride with Xena.

FAUNA 
You're welcome to take one from the field to use if you'd like.

Gabrielle smiled as she held on to Xena's midsection.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks but I'm fine right where I am.

Fauna understood Gabrielle's sentiment and smiled back. 

FAUNA 
Then I suppose we're all set.

XENA 
Yup. Let's move out.

Xena got Argo moving and the rest followed suite. Everyone in the group made their way out of the village and rode towards the location given in the letter for where the summit was being held. It took a number of days to get there, but luckily trip actually went smoothly for Xena and Gabrielle' for a change. Which Gabrielle commented on as the group finally arrived. As everyone dismounted, Gabrielle looked up at the enormous tree that sat in the middle of a big, dense forest.

GABRIELLE 
Are you sure we're in the right place?

Ephiny walked over holding the reigns of her horse.

EPHINY 
Pretty sure. I've heard that summits take place in some giant, old tree.

Fauna came over next.

FAUNA 
According to what I've read, it's supposed to be one of the oldest trees in the world.

Gabrielle looked at the tree in awe.

GABRIELLE 
Wow.

XENA 
Are we gonna stand here gawking at a tree all day or are we going inside?

Gabrielle looked at Xena who stood next to her and sighed.

GABRIELLE 
Can't you just take a moment to stop and appreciate the beauty of things around you?

Xena looked at the tree for a few seconds.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Sorry are we gonna stand here gawking at a really big tree all day or go inside?

Gabrielle rolled her eyes and smiled.

GABRIELLE 
I should know better.

Once everyone was off their horses, they looked for a way inside. As the group walked around the tree that was far bigger than any one of them could actually climb. Even Xena wouldn't be able to scale the mountainous trunk without getting exhausted before even getting a quarter of the way up. In all honesty no one had ever seen such a large tree and didn't think that they could actually grow to be that size. While walking Xena heard a noise and stopped the group as she drew her sword.

GABRIELLE 
What's wrong?

XENA 
I heard something.

FAUNA
What?

Before Xena had time to answer a number of mystery women in masks popped up from various hiding places around Xena, Gabrielle and the others. Some emerging from tall grass and piles of leaves. Other's dropped down from vines that hung from the trees branches high above. They quickly surrounded the group with weapons ready and aimed at them. One of the masked women spoke.

MASKED WOMAN 
You're trespassing on sacred amazon land. State your business or be prepared to be sent to your afterlive's.

Pt.3
Xena, Gabrielle and the rest of their group found themselves surrounded by a number of masked women with weapons aimed directly at them. Xena held her sword ready as Ephiny and Velasca were prepared to draw their weapons as well. Gabrielle could see how tense the situation was and didn't want things to escalate.

GABRIELLE 
Hold on we don't want any trouble. I received a message to come here.

MASKED WOMAN 
Is that so?

GABRIELLE 
Yes. Just let me get it.

Gabrielle hastily went back to Argo and retrieved her pack. She came back and knelt on the ground as she looked through the bag for the scroll. The masked women looked at each other after a few moments of Gabrielle searching.

GABRIELLE 
It's in here somewhere.

Gabrielle dumped out the contents of the pack on the ground as she tried to find the letter. Valassca leaned close to Ephiny and whispered.

VALASSCA
(Whisper) You know we're in trouble if Gabrielle lost that scroll right?

Ephiny sighed as she looked at Gabrielle just praying to Artemis that she had the letter. After a few moments the masked women began to get impatient and everyone could tell. Finally they heard Gabrielle yell in triumph.

GABRIELLE 
Ah ha!

EPHINY 
Did you find it?

GABRIELLE 
Technically no. But I know exactly where it is.

Gabrielle stood up and walked over to Xena. She reached up and slipped her hand down the front of Xena's armor and fished around between Xena's cleavage for a moment. Ephiny put her face in her hand and sighed in embarrassment. Velasca looked on unamused. Fauna blushed and Kai snickered. Meanwhile Xena stood there looking down at Gabrielle with a slightly amused expression on her face. 

GABRIELLE 
There it is.

Gabrielle pulled her hand out of Xena's top turned around as she unfolded the paper and walked back over to the masked women. 

XENA 
Oh yeah, forgot I put that there. 

Ephiny arched her eyebrow as she looked at Xena who shrugged.

XENA 
What it's a safe place to keep things.

GABRIELLE 
Here you go.

Two masked women looked at each other and one shrugged as the other took the parchment from Gabrielle and read it.

MASKED WOMAN 
Ah queen Gabrielle, we welcome you and you're party. 

The woman motioned for the others surrounding Gabrielle and the rest of the group to lower their weapons.

MASKED WOMAN 
You'll have to excuse the less then friendly reception. Can't take chances of unwelcomed intruders just barging into sacred amazon land. 

GABRIELLE 
Don't worry. We understand.

MASKED WOMAN 
It seems your kind reputation precedes you. I'm sure you and the others are tired from your trip. So if you'd please come with us and we'll show you to your rooms.

GABRIELLE 
I hope it's okay that I brought so many with me.

MASKED WOMEN 
Of course. We have more than enough room to accommodate all of you. Now if you'll all follow me.

The masked amazon turned around and lead Gabrielle, Xena and everyone else around the side of the tree. Gabrielle saw as the woman placed her hand on the truck of the giant tree and a hidden door began sliding up as it opened up a secret passageway. The woman began walking up stairs that sat just inside the doorway.

XENA 
Huh you don't see that everyday.

The group followed the masked Amazon up the stairway as the door slid closed behind them. Everyone quietly followed behind the woman as she lead them up the long spiral staircase which was lit up by torches that hung on the walls. As they walked Gabrielle could feel her nerves about the whole situation begin to really sink in. She took hold of Xena's hand and arm for a little comfort. Xena could tell that Gabrielle was more than a little nervous and gave her hand a light squeeze to reassure her that she was going to be right by her side through whatever this summit had in store. Finally the masked amazon lead the group to a pair of large doors that had four masked and armed guards standing in front of it. The woman announced Gabrielle as queen and the others as those accompanying her. The guards bowed their heads in respect for their queen and moved to open the doors. As the doors opened Gabrielle let out a small gasp of amazement.

GABRIELLE 
(Quietly) Woah.

Everyone else in the group was just as impressed by the sight as Gabrielle as they all were lead inside. They looked around as they followed the guards. It was as if there was a whole enormous building like interior carved right into the inside of the tree. Gabrielle looked up, seeing that it went further up then she could see and wondered if it went all the way up the tree. Xena noted to herself that the craftsmanship of the wood carving was exquisite. There was a large staircase that was carved into the wood and wrapped around a thick piece of the trunk which spiraled all the way up with platforms that stuck out in various directions and levels that connected to different floors that were built into the tree. The whole area had Amazon's all over doing various things. Ephiny noticed that they seemed to be from a multitude of different tribes. Some she recognized by the type of clothing they wore, while others were unfamiliar to her. The others in the group had their own similar thoughts on their surroundings and just how incredible this place truly was. After leading the group up a few levels their guide showed everyone to their own rooms. Except Xena and Gabrielle. While they did each have their own rooms, Gabrielle had asked if she and Xena could share a room. Her request was wasn't seen as a problem so the two decided to stay in the room that Gabrielle had been given. Mostly because it was the biggest one due to her being queen. Gabrielle looked at the "room" she and Xena would be staying in as Xena opened a couple doors that were inside.

GABRIELLE 
I think this place is actually bigger than our house back in the village.

XENA 
Oh it's definitely bigger. I think there's a pool in that back room.

GABRIELLE 
You mean a tub right?

XENA 
No.

Gabrielle walked over and plopped down on a large pile of cushions and pillows that sat in front of an extra large bed and sighed.

GABRIELLE 
Sure this is nice but it doesn't really make feel better about this whole thing.

Xena walked over and sat next to Gabrielle as she sunk into the pile a bit.

XENA 
I know. But don't forget that whatever happens you're an amazing queen who would do anything you could for your people. And I'm sure that everyone will see that.

Gabrielle smiled a little as she layed her head on Xena's shoulder.

GABRIELLE 
I hope so. I just wish I knew what to expect.

Xena kissed the top of Gabrielle's head as she held her.

XENA 
Everything will be just fine Gabrielle. You'll see.

Some time later there was a knock at the door to their room. Xena answered and saw a couple masked guards standing there.

GUARD
The summit will begin shortly. We've come to escort the queen to the meeting. You and the others are welcome to join her if you wish.

XENA
Thank you I'll go get her.

Xena went into the bedroom and saw Gabrielle adjusting her skirt nervously. She walked over and put her hands on Gabrielle's shoulders as she smiled at her.

XENA 
You look beautiful.

Xena gave her a little kiss.

XENA 
Come on, it's time.

Gabrielle took a deep breath to try and calm her nerves that were just sent through the roof.

GABRIELLE 
Okay let's get this over with.

Xena followed Gabrielle out of the bedroom and the two left their assigned room. After asking if it was okay Xena got the others from their rooms and everyone followed the guards to where the actual summit was being held. Everyone was lead to a pair of large doors that the guards opened and held for the group to enter. As Gabrielle, Xena, Ephiny, Valassca, Fauna and Kai walked inside they saw a huge room that was lined with benches that were put in rows which circled the room and came down steps that stopped in the center of the room. Where a large circle was left bare . Just beyond that circle was a platform that had a long table that sat across the platform and five chairs sitting on one side facing everyone. The whole room was filled with Amazons seated on the benches. The chairs on the platform were also filled. But Xena, Gabrielle and the others knew that they clearly weren't just ordinary Amazon's. Gabrielle looked at Ephiny.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) Who are they?

EPHINY 
(Whisper) Based on what I could guess I'm almost certain that they are the members of the Great Amazonian Council.

XENA 
(Whisper) Care to elaborate?

Ephiny shrugged as Fauna decided it was her time to chime in.

FAUNA 
(Whisper) If I may, to put it simply I've read they're some of the most powerful and respected Amazon's in all the lands. Some say that they've been around for centuries and were blessed by Artemis herself with everlasting youth and wisdom. Some think that they're actually daughters of the goddess. But that's only if you believe those sorts of stories.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper/ Sarcasm) Oh great I might be going up there in front of a bunch of immortals that probably know more than all of us combined and I'm exspected to do gods know what. Hey Xena you wouldn't mind just running your sword through me right now would you?

Xena smiled as she placed her hands on Gabrielle's shoulders as she stood behind her.

XENA 
(Whisper) Don't listen to that. You're gonna be fine. I believe in you.

Gabrielle jumped a little when she heard her title and name called to come forward. She sighed as she moved from Xena's grasp and began slowly walking to the center of the room. Xena and the others followed and found that there were seats left open for them in the front row. As everyone sat down, Gabrielle stopped and stood in the middle of the room as she looked up at the Great Amazonian Council. She swallowed hard as she did her best to hide how terrified she actually was. Most in the room didn't notice, but since Xena knew her so well, she could instantly tell how truly scared Gabrielle was. She wanted nothing more than to run over and hold Gabrielle in her arms to comfort her but she knew that Gabrielle needed to be strong. 

XENA 
(Talking quietly) Come on Gabrielle you've got this.

Once the room settled down a member of the council stood up from her seat and signaled for the summit to officially begin. As that happened, Gabrielle began to get a very bad feeling about the whole situation that went beyond the extreme nervousness she had been experiencing up until that point. She couldn't figure out why but she couldn't shake the thoughts that told her that nothing good was going to come from this summit. And if Gabrielle was smart, she and the others should leave right then. But Gabrielle pushed aside that thought and stayed. Which was a decision that she would soon come to regret in the very near future.

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Back to the Academy