The Way of Alliances

By TZ

Copyright February 8, 2022

 


Legal Disclaimers:

Characters and backstory from Xena: Warrior Princess are the property of Renaissance/MCA/Studios USA. No copyright infringement is intended.

This is an original work of alternative fan fiction. No profit will be gained from its production. It was written for entertainment purposes only. This piece of fiction is copyright of the author.

Content Disclaimers:

If you are not of legal age to read the following or it is illegal where you live, then please exit this page.

Romantic love between consenting adult women, implied sexual love between consenting adults.

Author's Notes: 

Continued from The Way of the Queen.


 

The Way of Alliances

The facade was fancier than what she preferred and the inside was just as gaudy, and without fresh air. The temple of Aphrodisias was breathtaking to those that preferred a lot of translucent white marble. The blinding sun glimmered off its ostentatious appearance. It was a fitting representation of its goddess. Instead of being blinded, Artemis turned away from it to watch butterflies that were flittering among the spring flowers in the colorful central garden.

The peaceful quiet was suddenly shocked by a screech of music and an active group of dancers, men with tight, white shorts. They waved to the space behind them, beckoning the goddess that was following them. She was worshipped here.

Aphrodite's dance was interrupted when her guest stood up. She waved her crew to go in then turned around and waved her other hand to the side, greeting her sister. "What brings you here, Sis?"

Artemis nodded in appreciation for the welcoming. "I just want to share some information with you, since you keep trying to hook my Amazons up with my Chosen's guard." She did not want to waste time, so she was quick to the point. "I made an alliance with her."

With her brows raised, Aphrodite asked, "How so?"

"She agreed to forever guard my queen and her descendants. So, I made her my immortal. You can spend that endless time playing your game, but you won't win her away."

"How do you know that I won't distract her?"

"I doubt that you can. Her heart is not free anymore."  Artemis tucked her right fingers into the hidden pocket of her hunting skirt. "Your attempts will never be successful." She rubbed her thumb and index finger along the arrowhead in her pocket. She always found strength in that which represented her.

Aphrodite tapped her nails against her chin. She truly loved a challenge. "Well, thanks for the info, but my boys want to play." That was verified when the silence was disturbed by loud dance music that scattered everything in the area. The goddess of love pumped her arms up as she danced into her temple.

Artemis shook her head with disbelief of the playful deity. Preferring her own natural environment, she disappeared.

 

Inside the temple, Aphrodite took brief notice of the sacrifices left for her. She danced without the reckless abandonment that her dancers had. Despite their tight ritual dressing garments that exposed quite a bit, the goddess' mood was now somber. Wolf had loved so deeply in the past, a love that glowed in the goddess' heart. When half of that was lost in battle, the goddess of love tried to find another that would start the glow once more, especially since Xena and Gabrielle were always busy fighting. She had to work this out. The lack of glow cannot last forever.

She paused those thoughts as she read a poem left by a priestess. It was a plea for a marriage with a member of a royal family. Aphrodite shook her head, as she knew that prince had no interest in women. He'd be a lot more interested in her dancers. With that thought, she flicked the boys away to that far away kingdom. Her temple was quieter now and she could think. She sat with a drink in hand and stared at a surprisingly bare wall.


 

A neutral site was chosen for their meeting, and Aphrodite let her hands hang at her sides as the tall grasses brushed against them. She mentally practiced the proposed deal until Artemis showed. She took a deep breath of the warm ocean air carried by Zephyrus. She watched as her sister walked across the small field at the edge of the woods. The love goddess practiced again as she noticed the western breeze blow through Artemis' hair.

When she was finally greeted as 'Sister', she gave her a thumbs up in return.

She began, her voice lacking her usual chipper tone. "Sister, I thought about your alliance with Wolf." Without giving Artemis space to question, she continued, "I agree to not distract her for your Chosen's sake, but forever is too long to go without love. Let's please put a time limit on this."

Artemis raised her head to think as the warm breeze continued upon her her face. The field and the topic were tamer than she expected. She thought of what Aphrodite said. A perpetual state would bore her Amazons. "Good meeting site." She tucked a long lock of hair behind her ear. She nodded and replied, "I agree, but I will choose the end myself. It will not be forever."

Aphrodite turned to stand next to her sister with the wind on her face. "I understand, but do you agree that sex can happen without love, yes?"

The other goddess thought of her deer and the rut about to come upon them. "It is natural, so that is agreed upon, too."

A spread hand was offered and shook to seal their pact. "Not forever, but sex is good for the time." The love goddess was pleased. There would be other great lovers during that big stretch of time to keep her glow alive. It would not be a painful wait. "Thank you."

After nodding, Artemis disappeared and Aphrodite relocated to the seashore. Seeing the clam shell on the sand, she bent over and picked it up. It was a smaller reminder of when she washed ashore. Spending just a moment to run a finger along the shell, she gently put it back down and decided to go see Gabrielle, another source of love glow.


 

Unseen by any others, the love goddess took a position to watch the bard and her lover, who she married through words and heart. Theirs was a real true love. Sitting down, she gently smiled. She wrapped her arms around her knees and her heart began to glow as she watched them in the warm bathing spring. When the soap was rinsed and the activity became a bit more torrid, she sat up to closely watch. They were inspiring.

Xena's teeth gently caught Gabrielle's ear. "Do you ever think about being watched?"

With her back arched in reaction to the mouth kissing a trail down her neck, Gabrielle responded with her own question, "Do you mind if we were?"

That resulted with a penetrating response and a verbal rejoinder from Gabrielle, "Oh, gods, Xena! I love you and your long fingers."

The warrior was grateful that they were alone. "You love some things even more." With an ease practiced often, Xena lifted her wife to sit on the flat stone edge of the pool. She moved closer to sit between sexy legs, which she wrapped her hands around to spread them wider. Gabrielle's assistance earned her another action she loved, faster.

The sight of Gabrielle's head thrown back and the deep-throated moan that escaped from her slowly gaping mouth was enough to start Aphrodite over the edge. She thought as the tremors raced through her body, that the sight of the royal couple was a hard-core aphrodisiac. Their loving would sate her needs repeatedly for a long time.

Once her body was calm again, Aphrodite returned to her temple. She laid down to stare at an erotic sculpture and think of the Amazon queen in that position. She made a note to tell her worshippers about that new word, aphrodisiac; anything or anyone that makes the goddess of love horny. Memories of recent sights and sounds began to envigorate her hormones again. With a snap of her fingers, one of her dancing boys arrived.

Foregoing any greeting, she pointed at her body. "Serve me, now."

Her demanding tone brought him to attention. The young man began to worship the love goddess and his shorts disappeared. He would sacrifice anything to her. She would get him the man he loved. He did what he had to do so that he could perform for her.

Aphrodite saw what she liked at the moment, despite the fact that he was not blonde.


 

Helping her wife to dry after the second bath, Gabrielle shared a deep kiss that included her sucking on her the warrior's tongue. "Definitely another favorite."

Xena, with linen in hand, wrapped her arms around the queen. As she wiped the towel down her wife's spine, she pulled her closer. When their breasts rubbed against each other, Gabrielle inhaled a gasp then exhaled with frustration. "We have to stop. Scouts are due in at lunch." After looking at the sun dial next to the pool, they quickly pushed away from each other to finish dressing then began a fast walk back to the square.

Since no scouts were back just yet, Gabrielle drew some water from the well. She hastily drank hers and refilled her cup for Xena. Her thoughts of the warrior were interrupted.

"Was sparring good?" Ephiny spread her hands lazily on her hips.

The queen's eyes narrowed a bit, remembering Xena's earlier question that truly started their lovemaking. "Was good. Good enough to require a bath." The cup that she was holding was handed to the Consort, who just arrived. "Eph was just asking about the sparring."

The tilt of Gabrielle's head was subtle enough that only Xena noticed. She could not resist, though. "I gave it to her hard and quick. She's definitely improved and promised that she'd spar that hard again tomorrow."

Wolf, who had been keeping a distance for most of the morning, walked further away with a skin of cider. When Xena had asked the queen about being watched, the Guardian had left the two of them alone. An earlier quick scout of the area had assured her of their safe privacy.


 

After calling for Beast, the immortal mounted her steed and surveyed vigilantly around the square. When she saw the scouts between the trees and heard the distant bird calls, she rode over to Gabrielle and shared the news of the arrivals.

Gabrielle nodded her understanding and continued to stand near the well. When she saw that the skins were empty, she called to a small group of couriers. "Be quick. Take these to the cold spring and fill them." She watched as the older children followed her orders. When she saw that Wolf had started to follow them, she placed a hand on the rider's shin and stopped her. When she saw that the Guardian focused on her, she shook her head. "Kendra is with them. She's a good kid."

Wolf turned Beast back to face the trail to wait on the scouts. Hearing the call from the marker halfway up the trail, she sat at attention, with her arms ready for any trouble. Using all of her senses, she knew that four people were coming.

The Queen raised her hand in greeting. Two Amazon scouts came in with the sentries, who returned to their positions on the trail. The couriers returned just then with full skins to pass out. Once the scouts got water, the couriers backed away and placed the remaining skins next to the well.

Gabrielle directed the scouts to the council hut. They were all joined by Ephiny, Solari and Xena. Wolf stayed outside to listen to occasional bird calls. A few of which were Amazon information, none that were urgent.

She reached forward to pet Beast's neck. They had been together for for fifteen years. Fortunately, there had been no signs of health issues yet. She dismounted and walked to his head. With a slow stroke under his chin, he lowered his head to her. She kissed his forehead. "It's your pasture time," she said as they began to walk to the large gated field. She saw that Argo was already in there. She told Beast that she would be back later. She left the field and went back to stand outside of the council hut.

She listened to the scout reports. The Ionian scout Mariyon shared the darkest news first, which was then followed by a chance of hope for Sparta. "Piraeus has fallen in a seige. Their port stores were destroyed. Patras has seen little battle, though."

Studying the maps as Xena pointed out battles, Gabrielle asked for verification, "Agrinio is backing them?"

"Yes, my Queen. Agrinio receives their supply shipments through Patras, so their support is necessary."

Gabrielle looked at Mariyon after looking at Xena's finger. "Any news about the west mainland islands?"

The scout's brows lowered in thought, remembering what she heard from the mariners in Agrinio. "We only heard whispered rumors about the Sicilians."

As Mariyon finished, Gabrielle was about to end the meeting, but looked at Xena, who she knew had experience across the sea with Italy. "Sicilians? Are they a threat?"

Xena knew of their ships, as she had seen them in the years that she was hunting for Caesar. "I knew them to have a decent navy."

"Decent?" She wanted more details.

"Until someone deminishes the Athenian naval power, nobody else on the Mediterranean could raise a strong battle against them."

"Is Crete all right, being exposed away from Greece?"

Xena continued to answer the Queen. "The Atheneans have naval power, but defended by the castle at Knossos and the catapults on the plateau, Crete isn't a good reason to lose ships and people. They lack resources that would benefit Athens. It's not worth the effort."

Gabrielle nodded as she laid her hand over the warrior's. She looked at the scouts and truly smiled. "Thank you, both. We have set up a hut for you and the warm spring is available for bathing.  Dinner will be served in a few candlemarks"

Standing there, Wolf opened the door, thinking that Amazonia sounded like a conference resort. She watched the scouts as they left, but stayed at the open door to listen to the Royal Council. She glanced at Gabrielle, who started rubbing her left temple.

To the remaining coucil, she quietly said as she was thinking of the news. "The good with the bad does not surely answer anything."

Xena lowered her head to look her wife in the eyes. She placed a hand on her cheek. "The way that Athens seems to be battling, this may be a long war, with fighting happening all over Greece."

Ephiny stood near the couple and nodded with thought. "We need to focus on our own security and our allies in the northern villages. Unless we need stock to replace for our metalsmiths, we can sustain ourselves."

Taking on the role of the Weaponsmaster after Eponin's death, Solari added, "The couriers and scouts need to upgrade their fighting skills."

Pressing her lips together, Gabrielle thought of the women that spent the most time away from Amazonia's safety. She placed a hand on the new Weaponsmaster's arm. "Agreed."


 

The next morning, the day started warm and bright. Before anyone could change her mind, Wolf went to the tallest tree within the Amazon boundaries. With the highest leap that she could manage, the immortal Guardian caught ahold of a strong branch and started pulling herself up, climbing to the top to think while looking at the land all around.

That morning she had put Beast in the corral, kissed her daughters good morning and entrusted them with Aresha. After a tedious discussion with the temple priestess, she found the easiest place to gather her thoughts. She did her best to not think thoughts that would upset Artemis, for the priestess had said that the gods could read thoughts about them. She focused her internal debate on Xena.

Although she did not know the warrior when she was a conqueror of nations, she had heard the tales told by bards other than Gabrielle. Most of the tales revealed a bias that spoke of a demonic warrior focused on revenge. From her own mouth, Xena voiced her dislike and distrust of gods that seemed to use things and people for their own gain.

Hearing a call on the edge of the territory, Wolf put her thoughts on hold. She was suddenly missing a convenient dragon and her only option was to quickly climb down until she was low enough to jump the thirty feet to the forest floor. She ran to find the Queen and Consort.

When she reached the well, she was grateful to find a full skin and slaked her dry mouth. Gauging the time with a look at the sun, she hung the skin over her shoulder and ran to the training field. As expected, both were staff training the adolescent couriers. A quick, high-pitched whistle got their attention and she waved them to come over. She met them halfway. Once they were in front of each other, she shared the news that sentries at the eastern border announced the arrrival of a pair of men.

Gabrielle chose to go with her Consort and Guardian. Carrying her staff, she flashed a few hand signals to Solari and Ephiny. The royal couple accepted the skin from Wolf and they began an easy run east.

"It smells like Hercules. He always smells like ram fleece." Wolf rubbed her nose, trying to erase the odor.

Adding her knowledge to the discussion, the queen explained, "He performed that trial a long time ago." Gabrielle was remembering the challenges that Hera had given the son of Zeus.

Raising her nose again, Wolf replied as she exhaled, "Some smells are hard to get rid of."

Xena chuckled as they approached the correct assumption. "Not all warriors get soapy sponge baths every day."

The royal couple hugged Hercules and Iolaus. Wolf nodded a greeting before patting both on their shoulders. The group had not seen each other since the victorious battle against Dahok.

The Consort started while waving off the sentries. "How are the two of you?"

Iolaus answered before his friend could speak. "We've managed decent with a war going on."

Hercules looked up the trail before looking sideways up and down the road. "We're safe." Referring to the Amazons, he asked, "How is the family?"

Gabrielle wiped a rivulet of sweat that was running down her cheek and answered, "We were training. What brings you here?"

"Just making sure you were okay since word is that Athenian conscripts were camping on the land outside of Corinth."

Xena didn't mind the company, but small talk was not her preferred use of time. "We're far enough from Corinth. Thank you for the information, though."

Just as Gabrielle was going to offer lunch to the two warriors, Hercules put his hand up to end their discussion. "We're going to Thebes to check their stability. Everyone be safe." He nodded to the three of them and clapped Iolaus on the back, an encouragement to start moving.

After the smaller man turned to smile and waved goodbye, the Amazons began to move back into the trees. "Back to training," Gabrielle declared as they entered a spot where the sky was clearly seen and the sun was not yet midday.


 

After another hour of training, the cook staff was serving pig, root vegetables and a variety of ripe fruit. Wolf was relaxing while hand feeding muffins to Peran. Unusual movement in the corner of the dining hall distracted her attention from the baby, who took that moment to bite her mom's finger. Gently removing her index finger from feeding duty, the guard asked Theli to please take Peran.

Empty handed and rubbing her finger, Wolf quietly walked to the corner. She smiled, but waved away some unwanted attention. She found a spot to stand behind taller warriors while she listened to the action that caught her earlier attention. She heard Kendra talking with another young Amazon. It would have sounded like an early romantic gesture until the other girl, another courier, replied with a  denial. Surprisingly, the warriors did not react when the discussion became louder. When the distinctive sound of a dagger being unsheathed reached her ears, Wolf immediately stepped around the warriors to interrupt the dispute.

Reaching down, she discretely took the weapon from Kendra's hand and put it back into its sheath on the courier's waist belt. Cocking her head and catching Kendra's attention, she wrapped an arm around the young woman. "We need to talk," she whisperered as she guided Kendra out the door and a short distance from the hall. The courier clasped her hands behind her and lowered her head.

Wolf imagined this might be some day one of her girls. She practiced some understanding and lifted the child's face. "Kendra, how old are you?"

"I'm almost 13."

With a nod, Wolf lowered her hand. "Is Aidee the first girl you have really liked, by any chance?"

"I thought she liked me, too."

The lack of answer to her question was enough. "What happened so bad that made you pull a weapon?"

"She said that she wants to train with Priestess Oresae and not be a courier with me."

As that disagreement between star-crossed Amazons sounded familiar, Wolf reached out with an open hand and smiled when Kendra took it. They began walking to a stone bench close to the well. With a smile that was bittersweet, the guard ruffled Kendra's newly-trimmed short hair. "I kind of understand. I once fell for a girl." That snare net had started some magic a long time ago. "We ended up wrestling and fighting," with a chuckle she continued, "a lot." Wolf's eyes widened when she remembered those first days and that net that they had gotten caught in and fell out of.

Kendra was drawn into the tale. "What happened?"

With a grin and a broad wipe of her eyes to wipe a tear that had started, Wolf breathed deeply. Getting control, she answered, "In our case, we learned how to live without fighting each other." Reaching over, Wolf caught hold of Kendra's hand. "And you also have to. If you love Aidee, that love means supporting her in what she wants to do with her life. You are smart enough to know of the danger all around now. We all need to group together and be strong."

Looking over at the dining hall, Kendra nodded. "I know."

Wolf smiled at the change from her tone of anger. "So, we can agree to not fight, with and without daggers? Weapons should only be used against enemies, not the ones that we love." After a vigorous nod, the Guardian pulled the young Amazon into a hug. "Good job."

Kendra recognized her error. "I need to apologize."

With a murmur of agreement, Wolf added, "And you can tell her that Oresae would like a new acolyte."

They rose and Wolf let go of her hand and waved at the hall. "Run!"

Kendra paused to wave at Wolf then bow at the Queen. She held her hands up when she met Aidee coming out of the hut.

Wolf saw them start talking then hug. She started when the royal couple caught up to her.

"What was up?"

The guard looked at the consort then smiled big when she saw Kendra and Aidee walking hand-in-hand to the temple. "Young love."

Gabrielle saw the young couple enter the copse of trees that were hiding the temple. "What did you say?"

"Long story made short, about how I met an Amazon."

Hearing her sniffle, Gabrielle hugged Wolf. "You told her about how you met Eponin?"

A few tears fell and the Guardian shrugged. "Minus the details."

"Oh, I remember. Didn't you two truly marry?"

Wolf raised her hand to look at her ring. Kissing it, she replied, "Yes. We took a few days to go to Lesbos. Beautiful temple there."

"I've been thinking of that island." Gabrielle sighed as she decided to put those plans on hold.


 

That night after feeding Baby Ep and putting her in the crib next to Larin, Xena rubbed their raven hair. She then laid in bed next to Gabrielle. She looked sideways at her wife and kissed her temple. She asked, "Did you also see Kendra and Aidee fussing after lunch?"

Gabrielle rolled the scroll she had been reading and answered, "I was expecting it."

After putting the vellum on the side table, she continued, "Aidee told me that morning before training that she wanted to change her class. She had read a temple scroll and decided to be a priestess instead of a courier. That upset Kendra, thinking that she was losing her."

"Is that why she was training so hard?"

"Watching her, it seemed like she was taking her anger out on you." Seeing the bruise on the warrior's thigh, the queen kissed her fingers then gently rubbed them across Xena's leg. "Does it hurt?"

"Hardly. Tomorrow, I need to teach her how to read an attack and defend it. She's good at offense."

"According to your leg, she's strong."

The warrior answered with a small nod. "She is accurate, too. She found a spot without armor."

"Courier or warrior," the Queen pondered aloud.

Thinking of their interaction earlier, Xena offered a solution. "Wolf can train both with her. They seem to communicate well."

The Amazon Queen propped herself up to lean high on the headboard. Taking a steady breath, she announced a few decisions. "Tomorrow morning, I will verify with Oresae that Aidee will be training with her. I will give Wolf the job of training with Kendra. And I am going to call a council to revisit Terlava."

Setting a hand on Gabrielle's knee, the Consort gave a slight squeeze. "I'll stand by you."

Gabrielle reached down and ran her fingers across Xena's knuckles. "Do you trust Wolf now?"

Xena thought of how to relay her answer. She raised Gabrielle's hand to her lips. "Really, I never stopped trusting her, but I am wary of the reasons and costs of the gods' involvement."

Accepting Xena's explanation, Gabrielle scooted down and rolled into her offered embrace. "I understand, but Artemis has been different." With a wave of her hand that indicated Larin. "Some things are worth the involvement. And I deeply love you, warrior."

With a gentle kiss good night, Xena fell asleep as she remembered the two gods that conceived a beloved princess.


 

The next morning was a second chapter of that young love. Kendra waited for Aidee outside of her moms' hut, but watched the other Amazons that woke and began their day. Hugs, waves and kisses were the usual greetings while the scents of breakfasts wafted through the square from the dining hall. As Aidee joined Kendra, the older courier was happily surprised by a kiss on her cheek. In return, she took the younger girl's hand and started walking her to breakfast. On the way there, their hands opened then clasped again so that they could weave their fingers together.

Kendra started the discussion."Do you start your temple training after breakfast?"

"Kind of. There is a box of scrolls I have to read. I need to catch up with class."

"I was told early today that I would be training with Wolf," the courier said.

When they reached the hall, Kendra released Aidee's hand so she could hold the door for her. For that, she got another quick, friendly kiss. "She'll probably work you hard."

The courier shrugged with a smile. "I like her."

"Like you like me?"

Kendra shook her head. "Never. You're the only one I like special."

As the Royal Table assembled with their breakfasts and children, the Queen and Consort quietly talked together as they noticed the young couple.

Gabrielle asked Xena about the first girl she liked and how old they were. The answer did not take long. "We were ten. She had a crush on my brother Toris."

"That is sad," Gabrielle replied while giving Larin a spoon of porridge.

Wiping a drizzle of milk from Eponin's cheek, Xena said, "Not really. She had a crush on me a couple of years later."

Gabrielle was amused by the crooked grin flashed by the warrior. Her eyes became soft when Xena asked the same of her. "You know. I was the eighteen year old pesky blonde that followed her first crush all over the known world."

Putting a blanket over her shouldered, Xena burped Eponin. "Was I the only one?"

Gabrielle wiggled her hand after giving Larin to Aresha. Well, there were a couple of boys to help me realize that I truly did like girls."

Xena nodded after taking a forkfull of eggs. "Hmmm, don't forget Najara."

Gabrielle lifted her left hand. "I am grateful for that battle."

"Now you know what my jealousy looks like."

"Unfortunately, you've seen mine, too."

A throat clearing beside Gabrielle pulled them from their memories. Wolf sat down as she rubbed her index finger. "Peran has learned how to use her first tooth."

"You forgot her kisses." Gabrielle puckered up after a chuckle.

A look, thinking of a flash of pain, was quick for the Consort. "Glad Eponin hasn't gotten her first tooth yet."

The Guard took another nibble of the cheese and chicken roll that Aresha introduced to her. "The Queen will kiss that pain away." Wolf puckered back and continued to rub her finger.

Leaning forward, Wolf called for Solari. Once she had her attention, she continued by leaning back. "I'll start Kendra's training in the north field with some intermediate hand battle." She received a signal in response.

Wolf chuckled as she finished her roll. "Some days just seem to start so quietly boring."

The Amazon calls that were quickly rallied to the dining hall brought everyone to attention. Remaining meals were abandoned and children were scooped up and carried to the safety of the caves as warriors gathered and adjusted their battle gear. Gabrielle and her immediate council collected together while Xena and Wolf, with their swords unscathed, guarded their flanks.

The boredom was jinxed.


 

Exiting the dining hall, the Amazons were ready for battle, which had not arrived yet. The Queen quickly considered her options and began using hand signals to order squads into the forests around them. With nods from her Regent and Consort, she saw that her time with Xena had prepared her to organize her Nation.

Just a few moments later, a call was received that a Centaur was on their territory. Elite Archers were ready until they were called off. Ephiny raced from the queen to pull her son into a hug and kiss.

Gabrielle interrupted their greeting. The young centaur had grown tall enough so the Amazon Queen had to raise her head to look at him. She urgently ask, "Xenan, what is happening?"

"Tyldus said that Athens started attacking us. I wanted to fight, but I'm fast so he told me to run here."

Ephiny squeezed him again. "We are happy that you did," she said right before another motherly kiss.

"Everybody take your places. That's an easy half hour run." Gabrielle pointed east.

Solari took over her part. As an original archer and the new Weaponsmaster, she ordered five of the Elite Archers up into the forest, varied through the eastern trees.

The Amazons honored their allies by helping to defend them. They carefully, but quickly, made an organized running march, going east to find the Athenian army that had been camped outside of Corinth and fought with everyone they encountered on the way to Sparta.

As they came upon the remaining fight, Xena's chakram announced her presence as it knocked a soldier unconscious before he stabbed Tyldus with his sword. The centaur straightened his legs to stand before he saluted a thanks to his savior. Then they both surveyed fighting that was still going on.

There were three fights close around them. With a raising flip using her sword, Xena sent to the centaur a blade that was stained with blood. Catching it, Tyldus nodded with appreciation before plunging it down an Athenian's back. His current fight ended and the centaur spun around to run to another confrontation.

Seeing that the other warrior had his fighting in order, Xena turned her focus to the Queen. Wolf was watching her guard, but letting her freely defend the the Centaur village. Her staff was circling and rotating to hit knees and male privates. The last opponent yelled when his stomach was punched deep; the queen buried the end of her staff into it. She then knocked him unconscious.

Solari fired one last arrow before a wounded centaur was about to be killed. Gabrielle called for Xena when she noticed the long dagger that had pierced the immortal standing on guard in front of her. Before she started screaming, the Consort stood the Queen to the side of her to witness as Wolf reached down to the hilt of the weapon and quickly pulled it out. All three watched as the bleeding wound slowly healed.

Instead of tossing the dagger, Wolf sheathed it into her right boot. Then she studied the royal couple. "Are you two okay?"

Xena clasped her chakram to her hip and stood ready with her sword resting on her shoulder. Studying the fallen soldiers, she answered as she signalled the Amazons to collect their weapons, "We're great."

When a large figure temporarily blocked the sun, Gabrielle looked away from Xena and studied Tyldus' injuries, which could be treated. She offered the Centaur leader an arm clasp.

"Thank you, Gabrielle."

The Amazon Queen nodded as she released his arm. "This is a very positive development of the historical rivalry."

Tyldus said, "Go with your gods and be safe."

The Queen's smile reflected the Centaur's.


 

The trip back to Amazonia was was quiet and slower than the run that they took to the centaur village. It took just over an hour to enter the square, where the returning party unfortunately found several sentries, wounded with blades and arrows. Sitting, they were talking while wiping bloody wounds.

The Queen put her hands up to the sides of her face. She started panicking. "Why aren't you with Nagla and where did the archers go?"

Pointing at the healer's hut, the first sentry said, "It's crowded and the archers chased some Athenian fighters into the forest."

Wolf and Gabrielle raced to the healer's and Xena and Ephiny went the longer route to the caves.

Nagla's hut was crowded with couriers that were standing around Kendra.

The Queen told them to go outside and they would be notified of the other girl's progress. Aidee, however, begged to not be ordered away from her friend's side. Remembering how she could be, watching over someone she loved, Gabrielle nodded her acceptance of that. She watched as Aidee simply kneeled next to Kendra's bed and started praying to Artemis.

On the other side of the village, entering the forest close to the caves, the Consort and Regent came upon a scene of simple bloodshed. From the uniforms, all of those bleeding, dead or both were Athenians. Xena called out to exit the cave. Ephiny threw her hands up in gratitude when Xenan exited the cave first. When she saw that he was injured, she checked the wound on his chest.

"It's fine mom. It will be a scar to show girls."

"You will still go to the healer." She watched as the caretakers exited from a deeper cave, holding children who were starting to fuss.

Aresha clasped Xenan's arm. "He was a brave centaur."

The young centaur brushed off the compliment. "I only fought two. Kendra fought the rest. She's one girl that I want to talk to about scars."

Seeing the dreamy look in his eyes, Ephiny simply ruffled his curls and advised him to first be sure that she liked boys.

Exiting the cave with the caretakers and children, Xena looked at the soldiers. On those that were laying on their stomachs, she could see the cuts made by a sharp blade. The blood was from precise blade swipes on the sides of their knees and the backs of their heels.

Ephiny studied the pools of blood. "They probably died from the cuts to the sides of their necks."

"Those were smart cuts, and fast, it looks like." Xena said. "It's a good thing Wolf had that talk about not cutting people she loved."

"We need to burn them." Ephiny counted ten outside and the two inside. "I'll call call the order." She finished off one more to put him out of painful misery.


 

Ephiny and Xena escorted the caretakers and children back to the square. Xena broke away from Ephiny to go see Kendra. She was about ready to enter the healer's hut, but her progress was stopped by Wolf's hand on her chest armor. The Guardian indicated the couple inside.

Aidee had gotten up from the floor after Nagla and the queen left. She was now sitting on the bed, talking to Kendra. Touching her brow, her fingers were light and gentle. "You really are special to me. Please heal." Bending over, she kissed the girl on the bed. On purpose, she missed Kendra's cheek and gave her a small, slow kiss on her lips. Avoiding the injuries on the courier, she bent over for another kiss, not sure if she did the first one right. "Very special."

The Guardian smiled as she moved aside to let Aidee out. As she patted Xena's armor, she chuckled. "What are they teaching in the temple now?"

"You taught Kendra empathy and that can be catchy." Walking in to see the courier themselves, Xena saw the defensive wounds on Kendra's arms. The worst was a laceration on her neck. "She is going to be an effective warrior. Her courier skills might be speed, but she effectively disabled those Athenians. Good use of her dagger. She must sharpen it every night."

"It's probably time for her to get a real sword." Unable to avoid an old habit, Wolf pressed her fingers against Kendra's neck to check her pulse rate.

The two of them turned when they heard a few Amazons enter. They nodded acknowledgement of the nurses reporting in. Xena and Wolf left them alone with their work.

The activities in the square were slowly going back to normal. Xena saw it and Wolf smelled the smoke of the burning bodies on the northern field. "I'm sure Gabrielle needs to have a meeting."

The call was put out before long for a full tribal meeting.


 

Two candlemarks after the midday, tribal members were called to meet about the fights on centaur land and Amazonia. Quick and easy, Gabrielle put voice to her thoughts. Roughly, professional soldiers attacked the Appolicadious Centaurs, to pull most of the Amazons away from their own nation so that conscripts could attack the major future of the Amazons.

"We were stronger than what they thought. Now, though, taught by their vile ways, we will fight smarter. We will keep our alliances active, but we will leave more at home to battle for our children." Gabrielle looked at the crowd, then indicated a trusted leader. "Roesta, as the leader of the Unit of Elders, choose those most able to defend Amazonia. They and the sentries will stay behind if I call the others out. They will protect our homes and children, the Nation's future."

A small group of older Amazons began to gather around Roesta.

Used to walking, as she had done in the days when she traveled with Xena, Gabrielle continued talking. Her speech was accompanied by gestures to stress her points. "We need to gather more scouts. We will train spies. We not only need to know the big picture," she proclaimed with the wide opened arm gesture, "We need the small details. Our people and our security will not be tested beyond its means."

Xena tightly smiled at the effectiveness of Gabrielle's speech. She studied the women who were in the council hut. She saw more interest than those opposed to the Queen. Studying Wolf, the Consort was sure that she could see the Guardian using all of her senses.

When Gabrielle's speech finished, she circulated as Queen through the crowd to hear everyone's opinions and suggestions. Groups began to form based on roles and experience. Among them, leaders were chosen. After some short group talks, the hut began to empty with Amazons attending to their jobs.

As the Queen stood outside to supervise activities, she felt the fingertips that lightly settled on her left shoulder. Glancing at her Regent, she patted those fingers. "May Artemis guide us well."

Ephiny replied, "The goddess already chose well. It's up to us now."

As Gabrielle let the war situation consume her, she kept in mind everybody's future, hopes and dreams. She, her self, was controllable. Closing her eyes, she mentally threw her hands up into the air, held them there for a moment and then clenched her fists tight. When the stress dissipated, she threw her hands down, letting go of it. This wasn't about just one person saving the world. It was about a Nation protecting itself. It was about love winning. "We will get through this."

Ephiny felt the Queen's mood change with positivity. She shared an image of belief. "Whatcha doing now?"

"Taking care of my to do list after I check in on Kendra again." Her to-do list was ticked off on her fingers as she thought about it while walking to the healer's hut and talking to her Regent. "I'll need a crew of ten, including Wolf, chosen to go to Terlava with me in two marks. We can turn it into a hunt on the way back." Her peripheral view catching Ephiny's nod, she added, "I need to get some blank vellum to go see Oresae and verify Aidee's class change, on paper. With her status officially being archived and when she reaches age, she will have the common rights of a priestess."

Ducking into Nagla's medic hut, Gabrielle saw Kendra watching her approach. She smiled with a small wave. To the young courier, she expressed her joy. "Kendra, you are the bravest young Amazon that I know. Thank you for protecting the future of our Nation." Laying a warm hand on the patient's shoulder, she explained, "I will be archiving Aidee's status after a visit with Oresae." With a gentle squeeze, she finished, "You do know that priestesses in Greece have some power right?" After seeing a slow nod that minded her injury, the queen bowed her mouth closer to kiss Kendra's cheek. "You heal now."

Gabrielle visited with Nagla for a moment to to check on all of the injuries then got her vellum and went to the temple with her Regent.


 

Outside of the small temple of earth-tone agate, the Queen and her Regent paused to admire its beauty. It was nothing extravagant, but was meticulously carved and laid by a team of artistic craftswomen two generations ago. The leaders thought it was a good representation of its goddess, camouflaged among the trees of the forest. A stone sculpture of the Kerynitian outside the door dedicated it to Artemis.

"May I help you, Queen Gabrielle?"

To the right of the temple, Gabrielle saw the priestess and she bowed, showing a high regard and respect. "Hello, Oresae. I wanted to talk about Aidee Karoules.

Finishing a braid at her waist, the priestess ushered them in and to an enclove holding her seating and desk.

With a smile, the bard appreciated the simple functionally of the priestess and gave her the blank vellum. "Oresae, I offer you this to you, to draw up a contract for Aidee after she finishes her class as your akolyte."

"Any stimulus?"

"No. I would have written it, but..."

Oresae waved a hand to push away explanations. "Queen Gabrielle, I've read your detailed promisso before, but right now I am happy to help. You can read it after I'm done."

"I trust you," Gabrielle said. "I appreciate your effort so our Nation can focus on protecting our future."

"Tea?"

Gabrielle declined the offer. "I'm sorry, but we must get to Terlava."

The Queen and Regent nodded their farewells as Oresae tapped her lips with the paper, with her brows  pressed in thought.


 

After leaving the temple, they went to the square. Gabrielle rubbed her palms against her skirt when she saw the group ready to go. She clapped Ephiny's back and wished her strength before walking into Xena's embrace. A deep kiss and promise to be safe, the Queen left to go to Terlava with her group and Guardian. Mounting her horse and after settling down, she waved to everyone. Adjusting her backside once more on her saddle, she blew a kiss to her wife. Xena watched Gabrielle leave and gave Wolf a focused look combined with a strong nod.

At a steady trot, the ride to Terlava took almost two marks. Since Atronos had leveled the village, the survivors occasionally worked with Amazonian help. They had been able to raise a dozen homes, a few administrative buildings and a stable. To the Queen's eyes, the citizens seemed happy despite a war almost knocking on their door. She saw that Wolf indicated safety, so she signaled to the few Amazons that had brought a surplus of sustenance. Seeing that the cooks had an area for theirs, Gabrielle asked if they would like more. With eager nods, they humbly accepted the Amazon gift.

The village leader, Menara, slowly approached the Queen and slightly bowed in thanks. With the show of grateful respect, Gabrielle greeted him. "Menara, how have you been?"

After shaking the Queen's  hand, the tall leader indicated an empty pair of chairs keeping company with a small cask of wine. He poured them both a drink and replied, "With your weekly help, it's been easier. We probably will be done in a month. The ploughing will be done for the seeds then."

"Late spring wheat?"

He nodded after a sip. "We should get it harvested in time for the start of herding."

"How are the heads?"

The leader thought as he studied the hill just a short distance away. "Last count was just shy of 200."

Gabrielle's attention was caught by a hand signal and she raised an index finger to interrupt the sheep talk. Excusing herself, she rose and crossed to the Amazon holding a medium sized box, which she collected and delivered to Menara . She began explaining as she lifted a sheet from one side of it. She pointed at the pigeon in it and said that the gift would easily connect Terlava with the Amazons. "If there is any threat to your people, release her with a small message tied to her leg and we will respond."

Menara quickly nodded with a smile. "I have heard of this kind of bird. Thank you."

Gabrielle untied a pouch from the top and showed it to the village leader. "Here is a bit of seed for her. We will refill her stock when needed. And our Aviary put some instructions in there."

Looking around, Gabrielle indicated the stable with a wave of her finger. "A cool corner should hold her good."

Seeing the arc of the sun, Gabrielle nodded with an offered hand. "We must go now. The village is looking good."

After bidding goodbye, Menara called to a young girl. He showed her the pigeon and explained to carry it to the stable and start caring for it."

When Gabrielle remounted, she quickly counted her Amazons and left with a wave to Menara.

Wolf pulled up to ride next to Gabrielle. "The deer are still moving about."

Remembering the hunt, the Queen called the archers and let them know that the game hunt will happen closer to Amazonia.


 

Three marks later, the party was welcomed home as it brought back two deer. The game was immediately hung and cut to start draining. Looking at the size of the young adult bucks, the cooks were grateful for the fresh game, but it would not be ready for butchering until another day. Wolf quietly put some rabbits on their cutting block to be added to the potatoes, vegetables and meat already gathered. "That looks like good venison for tomorrow," she said, "but these will help to feed the hungry tonight."

Gabrielle realized the error in her thinking and expectations. She apologized to Raemi, the lead cook. "I'm sorry, thinking this game would be a quick dinner."

The cook, always happy for additions to her meals, briefly paused her rabbit skinning. "I'm sure you and Xena stuck to smaller meat for just the two of you. The venison will be great once it is ready tomorrow, so I thank you for that, my Queen."

Xena saw the preparations and looked sideways at Wolf. "You?" She wagged her fingers at the skinned rabbits that were just then being cooked.

Shrugging her shoulders, the Guardian only commented, "I know that you and Gabrielle did not have time on the road back in the day, to practice prepping large game."

The Consort tilted her head when she saw the deer continuing to drain and their muscles relax to a tender texture. "You know what she'd say," she began and Gabrielle finished, "Thank you, Wolf."

She squeezed a big hug and kiss from her wife. "I missed you, Xena." She chuckled as she smelled the rabbits halfway done. "The archers did say that dinner would take a while." She compared what they brought that was getting ready for tomorrow's cooking and the smaller game that was staked over the fire, cooking. She shook her head back and forth, following her finger points.

Wolf ignored her growling stomach and patted the Queen's back. "Some lessons are learned later in life."

Lined up to get their trays of food, a random collection of edibles gathered by different members of the Nation, the ladies started sharing their day's events. Once Gabrielle and Xena sat and they began to eat, Ephiny asked about Terlava.

"It's starting to look good. Menara has adjusted their system of harvesting, herding and rebuilding. It might take a few years to get back to the natural cycle of plough, sow and harvest, but they have enough decent cropland to succeed."

The Regent chuckled as she stated, "Our Queen is starting to go back to her Potidaean farm thinking."

Wolf sat forward after taking another potato. "I don't think she will never be small-minded again. She was the perfect example of an Amazon Queen. She shared some drink, some talk, some news and our aviary's gift. I believe that she made more friends with a recovering village. In fact, because of that gift, a young lady seems to have fallen in love with her."

Gabrielle pushed that thought aside and looked at her consort, explaining, "I think she was only six."

Stealing a quick kiss, Xena's palm caught her wife's face. "And in twenty years, she might be dreaming of you."


 

After breakfast the next morning, the queen was getting back to her usual daily routine. Sitting at her table in the Council hut, Gabrielle read a few letters from the leaders of the northern villages. The most urgent of them all was a sickness that seemed to be starting at Evelysis, the furthest west. The priestess of that region communicated with their healers and the situation was wiping out the old and feeble. The usual defense of soups and vegetables was having no effect. Culling her medical resources, the Queen was waiting on their experience.

She looked away from the letters when she heard voices coming in. Standing and raising her hand in greeting, she indicated the surrounding chairs that she had arranged earlier.

"It is good to see you all." Crossing in front of the table, she got a skin of water and took a drink before talking. "I have received letters the past few days from the northern villages. The two eastern ones are doing fine. However, Evelysis is fighting an illness that is depleting some of the villagers. Their healers have not yet identified its cause or possible solution. It does not seem to be airborne, for not everyone in a home gets it. I am asking for knowledge and experience. Please share your thoughts."

Nagla asked, "Does that village letter have a symptoms list?"

Gabrielle looked at the leader's letter and frowned. "From the townsman, no. However the Priestess has some detail that might give some identity. Gabrielle handed that letter to her healer. When Xena began reading over the shorter woman's shoulder, Nagla passed it over to the Consort.

"This reminds me of an epidemic in the marshes of the Veneti people, north of Rome, over ten years ago. I never witnessed it, but sailors that I captured talked about it when my ship's hold was retaining water. They worried about getting  deathly sick."

"May I?"

Wolf received the letter from Xena and slowly read the priestess' detailed script. "Similar to what I saw in Chin. They thought it was from dirty water."

The Consort wanted to hear more. "Dirt dirty?"

Wolf shook her head. "Fecal dirty. A monsoon blowing off the sea spread the farm animal droppings over the crops, which were consumed before a good washing."

The Queen thought of the hard soil mostly of tiny stones in that area. "If you were to go up there, would you catch it?"

"I'll take some of Aresha's rolls and our clean water. If I do get sick, it won't kill me." Looking at Xena, she finished, "You'll have enough protection and I won't be gone too long."

"Wait."

Seeing the concern on Gabrielle's face, the Guard focused on the Queen, who asked another question. "Is it passable from person to person?"

Wolf thought of past experience in Chin. "I only saw it like that with vomit and diarrhea. Avoid the fresh and clean it with boiled water. But I am not Hippocrates, so that might not be fact in this case."

Gabrielle stated, "Please go to Evelysis and find some details and see if we can help."

After a quick bow of her head, she survived a crushing hug from Gabrielle. "Be safe."

Walking out of the hut, Wolf turned around and looked at her closest family. "Please watch after my girls...and my horse."

Loading a loaner, Wolf mounted the white mare. Adjusting her body to the smaller horse and collected her reins. The tackle and saddle that she usually forewent was an old lesson from Xena. She gave the unfamiliar equine and herself time to adjust and then used her heels to start the ride to Evelysis. Used to squeezing with her thighs to control her horse, Wolf gently talked to Snow, the horse named by the young daughter of Arna, who gave the small herd to the Amazon Queen. The gentle talking was an apology when she remembered that she wasn't riding Beast. She had left him behind, as she remembered the farm stock that had died in Chin. She did hope that Snow would be safe after this ride.

The easy ride was a mark and a half before the odors of death coasted to her and she rubbed her sensitive nose. She squinted at the ochre stains on the pebbled dirt. The rain, horses and sheep had dragged the droppings everywhere.

When she saw two men shoveling a basic canal down along a slight hillside, Wolf approached them and quietly introduced herself as a representative of the Amazon Nation. After that and mentioning the epidemic written about in their priestess' letter, the men began to freely speak about the illness ravaging their people. When they pointed at a small house lighted with a tall torch, Wolf showed her appreciation and heeled Snow to the tie rail outside the house of the leader. As she tied the reins, Wolf was greeted.

"I am Urawles, Ruler of Evelysis."

Bowing her head respectfully, Wolf explained, "I am Wolf, representing Queen Gabrielle of the Amazon Nation and we are here to witness your epidemic and help you, if we can."

Wanting any help, Urawles walked with the representative to a medical unit. He showed Wolf where they wash their hands when entering and doing so, Wolf was struck speechless. She accepted a linen that was handed to her by a tall woman with bright auburn hair that contrasted dramatically with her clean white gown.

"Hello. I am Styria. I am the priestess that wrote the letter to Queen Gabrielle."

"Great descriptions that helped me perhaps recognize this. Thank you, Styria."

The two women continued discussing the disease symptoms as they walked from bed to bed. "There are fifty-three here and sixty-eight have died."

"All that died had diarrhea?" Wolf was reading a papyrus on all the cases.

Styria responded, "No. One just stopped drinking everything, including water. He thought it was caused by any liquid."

The Amazon was thinking of what she did know. "He dehydrated and his body stopped working."

"My husband couldn't tell him different."

Wolf looked harder at the priestess. "Your husband is the healer?"

Skyria chuckled. "He's my Lugh."

Wolf smiled, not having heard Gaelic for so long. She remembered tales told by her mother about the Celtic god of health. "How did you get to Greece?"

"We emigrated from Veneti."

"Sounds like Evelysis is in good hands then, with the bog experience."

Skyria's brows rose as she nodded. "You are Celtic?"

Wolf's hands shook around. "My family was from Wales in Britannia, but after different situations, I moved to Gaul. I then ended up on the Ionian, where I was an apprentice to Queen Gabrielle's Consort. I was her army's healer."

Having heard many local tales of Xena's warlord history, the priestess said, "With this war happening, you must be a god's blessing, with that fight-heavy experience."

"You can say that."

Thinking back to the fecal bacteria, Wolf suggested a controlled fire to kill the cause of the epidemic. "And clean all the food, fruit, vegetable and meat before cooking and eating it."

The priestess wrote a few things down before looking down at the shorter Amazon. "We've made some progress. There have not been any new cases in a week. I will send your Queen a scroll, giving her details once those things are all done."

Bowing her head once more, Wolf gave her leave to the priestess and Urawles. "I believe my children miss me as much as I miss them. I wish the best to your village."

On the way home, Wolf nibbled on the rolls that Aresha had packed for her. She thought of what she saw recently and years ago in Chin. She requested a blessing from Artemis to keep Amazonia safe from epidemics like those.


 

As she returned to Amazonia, Wolf signaled to the sentries that all was safe. She was grateful, though, that the isolation corral where sick or injured horses were kept, was currently empty. She removed Snow's tackle and saddle before filling up her feed bin. Carrying all of that back to the stable, she saw Nagla, Gabrielle and Ephiny standing outside of the meeting hall.

"They're waiting on your news."

Wolf nodded at Xena. "I figured." She looked at her hands briefly. "I need to clean up first. I'll be quick.''

"I'll let them know."

In her hut, Wolf stripped off all of her clothes and piled them to the side for washing. Then she gave her hands and arms a rough cleansing. After soaping her sweaty face, she rinsed and dried. Donning her non-ceremonial guard attire, she straightened her hair and left to go join the others waiting on her.

Showing her clean hands, she accepted the hut door being held for her. When she saw that water had been set out for the meeting, she crossed to her seat and took a deep drink. Once everyone settled and the queen and healer were ready with their papyrus and quills, she began.

Sharing the details of the history and current good progress, Wolf shared good news. "The priestess and her husband, the healer, have experience with water bacterium. They were able to end new cases after some cleaning of the rough waterways, digging drain gutters and just cleaning or euthanizing the diseased livestock."

"Experience?" Nagla asked.

"They are Celts from Veneti. They battled the bog disease that Xena mentioned."

Xena sat back and rubbed her cheekbone. To Gabrielle, she whispered, "I think the priestess is related to Boadicea." She remembered the warrior mentioning her family when they were discussing Caesar.

The Queen slightly raised her brows at her wife. Those were memories of a dark past, but as Gabrielle existed in the now, she turned her attention to Wolf. "And the person to person?"

"Directly, no. We already clean our food and our hands. Our scouts and couriers will needed to do the same when away from Amazonia, especially if they have to go to areas with suspected epidemics."

Looking around at those gathered, she asked, "Any other questions?" Nodding as she stood, she waved an ending to the meeting. "Wolf, go rest with the twins."

The Guardian bowed her head at the royal couple as she gave the queen her notes. "Styrian's scroll will have more details."

"Thank you, Wolf."


Meeting Aresha halfway to the Caregivers', Wolf greeted her and her twins with a bright smile. "There's my little girls." She opened her arms wide to accept one in each arm. She shared sloppy kisses with both before telling them their plans to watch the training before lunch. Talking to the twins, she asked them if they preferred the younger or older Amazons training. Zasha responded with a serious look and Peran's hands began to fly.

"That's a good plan, girls. We'll watch the elders first then the young girls."

Continued in The Way of the Elders

Please leave feed-back. Email ztami@hotmail.com

 

Bard's Page 

Back to the Academy