"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series. 

   Tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com   

 

"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series    SCROLL VI : AN ABOMINABLE ASCENSION

SUMMARY:
After fighting to save Aurora and taking down the vengeful daughter of Velasca, Gabrielle is gravelly injured. Being unable to fulfill her role as queen and believing she's going to die due to a serious infection that spends through her body, because Aurora is just a baby and thus can't rule, Gabrielle gives her right of cast to Xena. Who dispite not wanting it and advocating for a few others to take the title, xena eventually and reluctantly accepts it for Gabrielles sake. But Xena is still determined to save Gabrielle's life and return her title when she does. Though Xena's friends a large number of the villagers don't agree with Xena being queen due to her not being an Amazon at all. And state that they will not accept or follow Xena's rule. But when a new threat comes for the Amazon's, (unknown what yet) will the naysayers to Xena's position rally around their new queen? Or will Xena's past make her powerless in her role as leader? And lead to an unimaginable tragedy for the Amazon people.

NOTES:
-This is the 6th story in my
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series.Following :
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL I: THE NEW ORDER
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL II: THE GREAT CAMPAIGN WITHIN THE DOMAIN
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL III: MUTINY IN THE MONARCHY
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL IV: A FRUITFUL STATE OF SKEPTICISM
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL V: BLOODLINES

So it's highly suggested you read those in order before this one if you haven't already. As this is a direct sequel and knowing the events and/or characters introduced in the previous stories are important for understanding the plot of this story. 
_________________________________________

ABOMINABLE= 
causing intense displeasure, disgust, or resentment

ASCENSION= 
the act or an instance of rising or climbing up
_________________________________________

Pt.1

INTRO QUOTE:
"Brave women are not born from comfort zones. They are made in the fire"

Motionless was the body which layed alone. An illumination of light from the midday sun peeked in through the half drawn curtain as it bellowed slightly from a gentle breeze coming in from the world outside. A world that seemed so close and yet far as a single wrong move caused a loud painful groan to break the silence which had previously filled the room. Upon hearing the sound footsteps quickly followed before coming to a stop in the doorway.

XENA
Gabrielle?

Xena paused for a moment as she saw Gabrielle with a pained expression on her face.gripping the post at the foot of their bed for support as she stood there.

XENA
What are you doing out of bed? You know if you need anything you're supposed to call me.

Xena walked over and gently guided Gabrielle back into bed as Gabrielle winced.

GABRIELLE
I'm just so sick of having to spend basically all of my time laying in bed. I thought I could at least move around the room or something.
(Disappointed tone) But I guess not.

XENA
I know. But you're just not healed enough yet.

Xena placed a couple pillows behind Gabrielle so she could sit up more comfortably.

GABRIELLE
I feel so helpless like this. You pretty much have to do everything for me Xena. Plus you've got Aurora to take care of by yourself now too. And it's just not fair to you.

Xena sighed as she sat on the edge of the bed next to Gabrielle.

XENA
I've already told you that I'm fine. Taking care of a baby and you isn't a big deal. You're main focus should be on getting as much rest as you can while you heal. It's only been a few days since we've been home. I know you're strong but you almost died Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
(Sarcasm) Thanks for reminding me I almost forgot.

Xena smirked.

XENA
(Joking) Damn I didn't think you were suffering from memory loss. That's not good. You must've gotten struck in the head pretty hard.

GABRIELLE
(Annoyed/ Sarcasm) Sure make your jokes while I lay here. If I wasn't comfortable right now I'd throw this pillow at you.

XENA
(Joking) I suppose I should consider myself lucky then.

Gabrielle gave Xena a disappointing glare.

XENA
My point is you just need to take it easy. If you remember I wasn't able to do much when I was pregnant with Aurora. Not to mention some of the injuries I've gotten over the years that had me layed up in bed for a while. So trust me I understand how you're feeling right now. You're just gonna have to deal with it until you're better.

Xena smiled.

XENA
But I'm sure it won't be too much longer. You always do seem to heal relatively quickly so I'm willing to bet that you'll be back on your feet in no time.

Gabrielle gave a small smile.

GABRIELLE
And you say you're not that great with words.

XENA
Compared to you, I'm not even close.

Xena gave Gabrielle a quick kiss as she stood up.

XENA
Now how 'bout I go get you some lunch?

GABRIELLE
Sounds good.

XENA
Got anything in mind?

GABRIELLE
Surprise me.

Xena began walking towards the door.

XENA
(Joking) You know you'd think with everything that's happened over the past year or so, you'd be tired of surprises by now.

GABRIELLE
(Sad) Fair point.

Xena stopped and turned around when she heard the change in Gabrielle's tone.

XENA
I'm sorry I didn't mean to...

Gabrielle saw the concern on Xena's face as she pushed away some of the painful memories of what she and Xena had endured during their lengthy stay in the secret Saphire Snow Owl Tribe's amazonian village. Mainly their most recent trial of having their daughter Aurora kidnapped by the now dead Kai and Celine. Who were both bent on seeking revenge on Xena and Gabrielle. Kai for blaming her exile from the village on them due to her attempt to aid in Valassca's attempt to assassinate Gabrielle. And Celine who was revealed to have been Valassca's daughter bent on claiming revenge over the death of her mother. Though Xena and Gabrielle had gotten Aurora back safely, the struggle against them had put Gabrielle and Xena in a situation where Gabrielle was forced to protect the baby. Nearly causing her death and having sustained multiple series injuries as a result. Though Aurora was safe and both Celine and Kai would never be a threat again, the whole ordeal had lead Gabrielle to the current state that she now found herself in. Having still not being recovered from the brutal beating and murder attempt. Gabrielle broke the momentary silence as she tried to assure Xena that she wasn't upset at her for the reminder of their recent struggles.

GABRIELLE
No it's okay. You're right we've been through quite a bit since we came here. But we've also had a lot of good things happen to us too. Plus I know that any kind of surprise coming from you will be a good one so I'm not worried.

Xena gave a small smile.

XENA
Okay, one surprise lunch coming right up.

As Xena left the room Gabrielle thought of something she wanted and quickly shouted her food order to Xena who replied as she headed down the stairs.

XENA
(Joking) As you wish your majesty.

GABRIELLE
I heard that.

Gabrielle got comfortable as she chuckled to herself at Xena's ability to chear her up as Xena left the house and headed to the village mess hall. No long after Xena was walking back to the house with a small basket full of food. Along the way she ran into Ephiny, Skyla and Clover.

EPHINY
How's she doing today?

XENA
She's fine. Even if she's getting tired of staying in bed so much.

SKYLA
(Joking) Never thought I'd hear Gabrielle complaining about having to stay in bed.

CLOVER
(Joking) Well from what I've heard from that window many times It's pretty clear that she definitely enjoys her time in bed.

Skyla looked at Clover.

SKYLA
(Scolding tone) Clover!

CLOVER
What? I meant because she likes to sleep. You've heard her complaining when Xena wakes her up alot of the time.

SKYLA
Oh. Yeah that's true.

CLOVER
(Talking quietly) That and because of all the good sex.

Hearing the comment Skyla nudged Clover in the side with her elbow as Ephiny rolled her eyes and Xena made a bad attempt to hide her proud smile and chuckle before changing the subject as she slightly lifted the basket of food she was holding.

XENA
Well I should really get back. As you can see I'm on a delivery run. Why don't you guys stop by later. I know Gabrielle would appreciate the company.

SKYLA
I think that's a great idea.

EPHINY
Sure.

XENA
Alright, I'll see you guys later then.

Xena left the trio and walked back home. Later, after enjoying a quiet lunch, Gabrielle fell asleep and Xena sat in the living room with Aurora playing with the happy baby when there was a knock at the front door. Xena answered and let Ephiny, Clover and Skyla in.

XENA
Hey come on in. I think I just heard Gabrielle waking up a little while ago.

Xena carried Aurora upstairs as Ephiny, Clover and Skyla followed. Gabrielle smiled when she saw the small group enter the bedroom.

GABRIELLE
There's my favorite girl.

SKYLA
(Joking) Gabrielle shush! Xena, Clover I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Clover glanced at Skyla as she shrugged and smirked.

CLOVER
(Joking) Hey she can have you. Saves me the headache.

Gabrielle shook her head at the ridiculous joke.

XENA
Funny. But none of us stand a chance compared to this one.

Xena looked at Aurora for a moment before returning her attention to the rest of the people in the room.

GABRIELLE
Now that's true.

Xena sat on the bed next to Gabrielle with Aurora in her lap as Ephiny, Clover and Skyla pulled up a seat. The group chatted for a bit and after a nice visit everyone decided that it was time to let Gabrielle get some more rest. Xena got up to put the baby in her crib as the others wrapped up their conversation. After a couple minutes Xena returned to see that Gabrielle had drifted off to sleep and showed the others out as the sun began to set on the relatively uneventful day. Xena smiled as she gently brushed a few stray hairs from Gabrielle's face thinking of how peaceful she looked as she slept. And how she just wanted their lives to be the same way. At least for awhile. Not only for Gabrielle's sake, but for Aurora's too. And if Xena was being completely honest with herself, even she needed a break from the continuous chaos that had seemed to be pursuing them far more vigorously since they had begun living in the village. But with Gabrielle on the mend and no signs of trouble on the horizon for once, Xena felt as though the worst of their tribulations might finally be behind them. At least for a while anyway. Though as much as Xena hoped for clear skies ahead, lingering just over the horizon layed something that Xena could've never seen coming. As unforeseeable, and heart wrenching circumstances were about to usher in a drastic change in her, Gabrielle's and the rest of the village's lives. Of which would lead Xena to stare down a road that she never exspected to walk. A road that as much as Xena would fight it, she very well may be forced to walk alone.

Pt.2

It was early in the morning as Xena began to stir. She almost always awoke as the sun was raising and finished her typical morning routine before even attempting to wake Gabrielle. Though these days Xena would let Gabrielle sleep longer due to her needing to recover. So after finishing her regular routine, Xena took care of Aurora and brought the baby with her as she headed to the mess hall to get some food for both herself and Gabrielle. As she was getting the food Fauna spotted her and walked over.

FAUNA
Good morning Xena.

XENA
Oh hey Fauna.

Fauna looked at the baby and food items in Xena's arms.

FAUNA
Looks like you've got you're hands full. You need some help?

Xena looked at the squirming baby as she sighed.

XENA
Sure. Here, you can take her.

Fauna took Aurora from Xena as she greeted to little girl with some baby talk. She then followed Xena back to their house. As Xena fixed Gabrielle's breakfast Fauna offered to put Aurora in her crib, which Xena told her to go ahead. So Fauna headed upstairs to put the baby down. And since Aurora slept in Xena and Gabrielle's room, Fauna figured she'd see how Gabrielle was doing and say hi. As Fauna entered the room it seemed as though Gabrielle was still asleep. So she made sure to stay quiet as she placed Aurora in her crib.

FAUNA
(Whisper) There you go little princess.

GABRIELLE
(Mumbling) Xena...

Hearing Gabrielle's voice Fauna turned around.

FAUNA
Sorry didn't mean to wake you. Xena's down stairs, she'll be right up.

GABRIELLE
(Mumbling) Xena...

Fauna walked over to the bed and saw that Gabrielle's eyes were barely open.

FAUNA
Gabrielle did you need something?

Gabrielle didn't say anything as she layed there. As Fauna took a better look at Gabrielle she noticed that she seemed kind of pale.

FAUNA
Hey are you okay?

Fauna reached out a placed her hand on Gabrielle's forehead.

FAUNA
Sweet Artemis you're burning up.

GABRIELLE
(Mumbling) Xena...

FAUNA
Hold on I'll go get her.

Fauna hurried to the hallway and stood halfway down the stairs.

FAUNA
Xena!

XENA
I'm coming, I'm coming.

Xena walked out of the kitchen with a tray of food for Gabrielle. She stopped when she saw the worried look on Fauna's face.

XENA
What'?

FAUNA
I'm not sure but I think something's wrong with Gabrielle.

Xena put the tray on the table next to her as she moved past Fauna and rushed back upstairs with Fauna following. Xena entered the bedroom and went to Gabrielle's side of the bed.

XENA
Gabrielle?

Gabrielle just muttered Xena's name again but didn't seem to register that Xena was right next to her.

FAUNA
It seems like she's got a fever.

Hearing the information, Xena placed her hand on Gabrielle's forehead, a felt just how warm she was. Confirming that she was indeed running a pretty high fever. As she looked Gabrielle over, Xena also noticed that she was pale, covered in sweat and had a foggy look in her eyes. She could also tell that her breathing was slightly labored.

GABRIELLE
...Xena

XENA
Shhh it's okay Gabrielle I'm right here.

Xena brushed Gabrielle's bangs off her forehead as Gabrielle finally seemed to register that Xena was there.

GABRIELLE
I'm cold, could you get me another blanket?

Fauna walked over and spoke to Xena.

FAUNA
Did she just say she was cold?

XENA
Yeah it sometimes happens when a person's running a high fever. Their body will be overheating but they'll still feel as though they're cold.

Xena sighed.

XENA
Fauna you think could watch Aurora for a bit while I bring Gabrielle to the healers. It'll be easier then going there myself and bringing back stuff.

FAUNA
That's no problem.

XENA
Thanks.

With that Xena pulled the blanket off Gabrielle a felt how damp the blanket was from Gabrielle's sweat and silently cursed herself for not noticing the state Gabrielle was in sooner.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) How could I have missed this. There's no way this could've happened in only the time since I left. Damn it.

Xena picked Gabrielle up and felt her shivering.

GABRIELLE
So cold.

XENA
I know. I'm gonna fix that soon, I promise.

Xena turned and carried Gabrielle down stairs and outside. As she walked towards the healers building a number of villagers saw her and became concerned.

AMARICE
Was that Xena carrying Gabrielle to the healers?

CORA
I think so.

AMARICE
I hope she's okay.

WILLOW
I'm gonna go see what's going on. Maybe I can help.

Willow jogged off to the healers. Inside Xena already had Gabrielle laying on a bed and giving orders for various things so she could bring Gabrielle's fever down and figure out what was wrong with her. As Xena began working she heard Willow's voice behind her.

WILLOW
I have some medical knowledge if there's anything you need me to do.

Xena glanced back for a moment before returning her attention to Gabrielle.

XENA
Get me some cold water so I can get this fever down.

Willow did just that and helped Xena run cool cloths over Gabrielle's body who shivered more as she felt the cold water hit her skin. After somewhat reducing Gabrielle's fever, Xena began examining her to find the source of the problem. Though she already had an idea. Fevers were the bodies natural response to fighting off foreign threats such as colds or infections. Which was why one of the first things Xena checked was where Gabrielle was stabbed by Celine. As she looked at the wound, Xena saw that it appeared to be healing and didn't see any redness or any other signs that the wound itself had gotten infected. Though it still didn't rule out infection as a problem completely. Or anything else that might be the cause of Gabrielle's symptoms. All while Xena and Willow worked, Gabrielle continued to mumble for a bit. Finally after some time Gabrielle went quiet and her fever appeared to be going down. Xena felt a bit of relief but knew that Gabrielle wasn't out of trouble just yet. She would have to wait and see if they had fixed the problem by giving Gabrielle some herbal remedies for fighting infection. And hoped that would solve the issue. So after Gabrielle fell asleep Xena carried her back home an put her to bed after putting clean, dry blankets down. Then after thanking Fauna for watching Aurora, the Amazon left and let Xena tend to Gabrielle. After a few hours Gabrielle woke up and saw Xena sitting in bed nest to her.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena?

Hearing Gabrielle's voice Xena looked at her.

XENA
Hey. How you feeling?

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Tired.

XENA
Then you just keep resting.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) What happened?

XENA
You had a fever caused by an infection. But I'm pretty sure we took care of that. You should be just fine now.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Okay.

XENA
You need anything?

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Just you.

Xena smiled as she put her arm around Gabrielle and felt Gabrielle lay her head on her chest.

XENA
Better?

Gabrielle nodded. It wasn't long until Gabrielle fell back to sleep as Xena held her. Unaware that the days events were merely a foreshadow of what was to soon come.

Pt.3

A couple days passed after Gabrielle's fever broke and Xena made sure to keep a closer eye on Gabrielle's condition in an effort to avoid another health scare. Though she was fairly confident that she had gotten to the root of the problem and solved it before the infection did any irreparable damage. It was early afternoon as Xena, Gabrielle and Aurora sat in bed. Xena sat happily watching Gabrielle telling Aurora a story to try and get the baby to fall asleep for her nap as she layed on Gabrielle's chest. As Gabrielle spoke out of the corner of her eye she saw Xena smiling.

GABRIELLE
What?

XENA
Nothing it's just nice to see you feeling well enough to do your bard thing.

Gabrielle gave Xena a curious look.

GABRIELLE
My "bard thing"?

XENA
You know what I ment.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
I know. I think it's nice that I get to tell Aurora all the exciting things we've done and some other stories too.

XENA
She's a lucky girl.

GABRIELLE
She's not the only one.

Xena smiled as she kissed Gabrielle.

XENA
No I'm the lucky one.

GABRIELLE
Fine let's just say we're all lucky.

Gabrielle winced a little.

GABRIELLE
At least somewhat anyway.

Xena stood up.

XENA
Here why don't I put her to bed and get you something for the pain.

GABRIELLE
Okay.

Xena picked up Aurora and put her to bed before getting Gabrielle some herbs that Xena knew worked for reducing pain. After grinding them up Xena mixed them into a drink and gave it to Gabrielle, who drank it all down.

XENA
There that should help. Now why don't you take a nice nap too.

Xena took the cup from Gabrielle a put it on the stand by the bed as she pulled the covers up and made sure Gabrielle was comfortable. As Gabrielle began to drift off Xena made her way out of the room.

GABRIELLE
Xena.

Hearing Gabrielle, Xena stopped and turned around.

XENA
Yeah?

GABRIELLE
Thanks for always taking such good care of me.

Xena smiled warmly.

XENA
Gabrielle you know you don't have to thank me for that.

GABRIELLE
You say that but I still wanted you to know how much I love you for everything you do.

XENA
I love you too Gabrielle. Now get some rest.

Gabrielle smiled softly as she closed her eyes and Xena left the room. A few hours passed as Xena kept herself occupied with various tasks. She was sitting on the couch sharpening her sword when she heard Aurora begin to cry. Figuring it was about time for her to wake up, Xena put her sword away and headed upstairs. After tending to the baby Xena decided to check on Gabrielle and see if she needed anything. She looked at Gabrielle who looked so peaceful, Xena almost hated to wake her. But after noticing the time she figured she should get Gabrielle her dinner.

XENA
Gabrielle. It's time to get up.

Gabrielle didn't respond. But that wasn't surprising. She had always been a heavy sleeper. Plus with the mixture Xena had given her earlier, it was no surprise that waking Gabrielle wasn't quite so simple. So Xena tried again, giving Gabrielle a gentle nudge to get her to stir. This time the only response was a slight movement of Gabrielle's head. So Xena tried again. This time Gabrielle mumbled Xena's name as she slightly opened her eyes.

XENA
Hey you feeling okay?

Gabrielle didn't say anything as she raised her arm slightly as if reaching for Xena but quickly dropped her arm back to the bed. That was when Xena noticed that Gabrielle's fever had returned and she now looked to be in even worse condition than before.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) Damn it. I thought I fixed the problem. How's she in even worse shape?

Xena quickly mixed up some more of the concoction that she'd given Gabrielle the first time and had Gabrielle try and drink some.

XENA
Here this should help.

Xena sat next to Gabrielle, helping her sit up and lean back against Xena who sat behind her to help keep Gabrielle upright. Xena then took the cup and held it to Gabrielle's lips to drink. Gabrielle managed to drink down most of the contents of the cup. But as drank some went down the wrong way causing her to cough. Xena put the cup down and patted Gabrielle's back to help her clear out her airways. After a few moments the coughing fit stopped but Gabrielle's breathing still seemed to be labored. Xena held her as she tried to soothe Gabrielle who was once again shivering from her fever.

GABRIELLE
(Weak whisper) Xena....

XENA
It's alright I'm right here.

GABRIELLE
(Weak whisper) I don't feel right.

XENA
I know. You'll start feeling better in a few days. We just have to give the medicine time to work.

GABRIELLE
(Weak whisper) Okay.

Xena sat in bed for a while just holding Gabrielle. After a bit Gabrielle stopped shivering and seemed to be drifting off to sleep. Xena sat quietly as she watched Gabrielle asleep in her arms. She looked out the window at the sunny day as she tried to relax. Though her attention was soon drawn back to Gabrielle when she heard her labored breathing become worse.

XENA
Gabrielle?

Xena tried adjusting how Gabrielle was sitting but it didn't seem to help. Gabrielle continued struggling for air. Now Xena was becoming even more worried.

XENA
It's okay come on Gabrielle.

Gabrielle gasped several more times before going silent.

XENA
Gabrielle?

Xena then felt Gabrielle go completely limp in her arms.

XENA
Gabrielle?

Gabrielle didn't respond. Xena quickly moved and layed Gabrielle down.

XENA
Gabrielle come on.

Gabrielle didn't respond as she just layed there. Xena felt for a pulse and found that it was weak but Gabrielle wasn't breathing. Xena then immediately began performing C.P.R.

XENA
Breathe Gabrielle, breathe.

Xena continued to try resuscitating Gabrielle, as her efforts very quickly became frantic when Gabrielle didn't respond.

XENA
Come on you can't die on me. Not like this.

Xena went on trying to get Gabrielle back as full fledged fear and panic set in. As she felt Gabrielle slipping away from her. Leaving Xena desperate to save her. But was the truth of the matter that Xena was on a pointless endeavor and didn't want to accept the fact that Gabrielle was already gone?

Pt.4

XENA
Come on Gabrielle, just breathe.

Xena continued to try and get Gabrielle to breathe again after she had begun having a difficult time getting air, before she had suddenly stopped breathing completely.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) Why is this happening? Did the infection somehow spread to her lungs? How? She seemed to be getting better. Damn it! Breathe!

Xena kept going for several minutes. Until after what felt like so much longer Gabrielle gasped as she finally took a deep breath and began breathing on her own again. Though it was still labored, Xena was beyond relieved that Gabrielle was breathing again. Xena held Gabrielle's face in her hands as she tried to gently wake her.

XENA
Gabrielle, can you hear me?

Gabrielle didn't respond as she still seemed to struggle to inhale enough oxygen.

XENA
That's it I'm getting to the bottom of what's going on.

With that Xena picked Gabrielle up and carried her downstairs and outside. She quickly looked around for the nearest person to watch Aurora. Xena spotted the small group of Ephiny, Skyla and Willow. She hastily walked over. Seeing Xena the three immediately became concerned when they noticed Gabrielle in her arms.

EPHINY
Xena what's wrong?

XENA
I don't know. But I need one of you to watch Aurora while I deal with this.

SKYLA
I'll go watch her for you.

Before anyone could say anything more Gabrielle gasped again as she struggled for air.

SKYLA
Go, I'll head to the house.

Xena gave a quick nod and hurried to the healers building with Ephiny and Willow following close behind. Xena entered the infermery with a kick to the door, not waiting for anyone to open it for her. Hearing the loud thud of the door smacking the wall, the village's main healer jumped slightly before sighing to herself. Already knowing the only person who made such a ruckus every time they came in was Xena. Leaving the healer with mixed feelings towards her. The healer didn't look up from the paper she was looking over as she spoke.

HEALER
Hi Xena. I'd say help yourself to whatever you need but I know you already will.

Xena didn't even hear the passive-aggressive comment as she carried Gabrielle to the nearest bed and got to work. Willow got right to work as well with helping Xena with anything she needed. Meanwhile Ephiny stood in front of the healers desk as she slammed her hands down in front of her, startling the woman who finally looked up from her paper and saw a very unhappy look on Ephiny's face.

HEALER
What?

EPHINY
(Irritated tone) You would think you'd be more concerned when someone barges in here like that. Especially when it involves your queen.

Ephiny saw an immediate look of concerned appear on the healers face.

HEALER
Something's wrong with Gabrielle again?

EPHINY
(Irritated tone) Maybe you should get up and go find out.

The healer felt ashamed that she had let her annoyance with Xena at times take away from her focus and duty to help those who came in when Xena was around. She pushed down her wounded pride as she stood up and moved to see what was happening. Meanwhile Xena and Willow were already giving Gabrielle a thorough examination as Xena filled Willow in on Gabrielle's symptoms. Overhearing the conversation the healer gave her own imput as she joined them. The three worked tirelessly as Ephiny waited silently nearby becoming increasingly concerned about her queen and friend. It took some time but eventually it was discovered that the infection Gabrielle had come down with had spread to her lungs and other parts of her body. It also seemed to be resistant to the remedy that she had been given. Which ment that they had to try and find something that would hopefully work. Finally after some time Gabrielle's breathing seemed to somewhat improve. In the sense that she wasn't gasping for every breath. Though it was still clearly difficult. And she still had a fever which was also concerning if it didn't go down soon. Finally Gabrielle layed in bed in the infermery asleep as Xena, Ephiny, Willow and the healer spoke.

HEALER
I think it's best if Gabrielle stays here for a while so we can keep an eye on her better.

XENA
I agree. This way if something else happens I don't have to waste time bringing her back here again.

EPHINY
Is she gonna be okay?

HEALER
It's hard to say right now.

Xena glared at the healer for a moment not wanting to even consider the possibility that Gabrielle wouldn't recover.

XENA
(Stern tone) She's going to be fine.

HEALER
Xena I know you don't wanna hear it, but as much as I really hate to admit it you probably know more than I do when it comes to medical know how. So you know that it doesn't look good for Gabrielle.

XENA
You just said it yourself you don't know what I know. And that includes Gabrielle. She's a fighter, she's gotten through worse. She'll get through this too.

Xena didn't say anything else as she walked over and sat on the edge of the bed next to Gabrielle as she switched the cloth that was on Gabrielle's forehead for a fresh one that was soaked in cool water to try and keep Gabrielle's fever down. Meanwhile the healer silently motioned for Ephiny to follow her out of the room. Once away from Xena the healer spoke.

HEALER
Obviously Xena doesn't want to accept this but maybe since you two are friends she'll listen to you.

EPHINY
Is it really that bad?

HEALER
Unfortunately yes. I don't know how it got this way but Gabrielle's not in good shape at all. She was injured badly, which ment that her body had already taken a massive amount of trauma and was working hard to recover. But now with this infection... I know Gabrielle is stronger than alot of people give her credit for, but this might just be too much for her to fight. Especially given the state she's in.

EPHINY
You really think Gabrielle might die?

HEALER
I want to be wrong, but yes.

EPHINY
Gabrielle's been lucky so far when things have looked bad before.

HEALER
True but how long until that luck finally runs out?

Ephiny sighed knowing that the woman had a point. There was a moment of silence as the situation sunk in. Finally Ephiny spoke.

EPHINY
Why don't you go do whatever else you have to do. I'll talk to Xena.

HEALER
Okay. Good luck Ephiny.

The healer gave Ephiny a friendly pat on the shoulder as she left knowing that she was in for a very difficult task. Xena raised her head when she heard a knock on the door, seeing Ephiny standing in the doorway.

EPHINY
You want some company?

Xena looked back down at Gabrielle who remained unconscious.

XENA
She can't die Ephiny.

Ephiny walked in and stood leaning against the wall on the other side of Gabrielle's bed across from Xena.

EPHINY
I'm guessing you heard my conversation with the healer.

XENA
Yes.

EPHINY
Then I don't need to say anything do I?

XENA
I'd rather you didn't.

The room was filled with an uncomfortable silence as the reality of her situation finally began to truly hit Xena. Unable to fight back her fears Xena lowered her head and cried. Ephiny didn't say anything as she walked over and put her hand on Xena's shoulder giving what little comfort she could, but knowing that there wasn't really anything she could do to ease the pain that Xena must've been feeling. After a bit Xena calmed down. She wiped away her tears as she looked at Ephiny.

XENA
What am I supposed to do without her?

EPHINY
I wish I knew what to say Xena. But I'm here for you for anything.

XENA
Thanks it means alot.

There was another moment of silence. But this time it was broken by Gabrielle who quickly groaned. Quickly both Xena and Ephiny's attention was drawn to her.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena...

XENA
I'm here Gabrielle. I'm here.

Xena held Gabrielle's hand as Gabrielle noticed that she wasn't in their bedroom.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Where are we?

XENA
You weren't doing so great so I had to bring you to the healers.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Where's Aurora?

XENA
She's fine. Skyla's watching her.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Okay.

Gabrielle looked over and noticed Ephiny.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) What are you doing here Ephiny?

EPHINY
I saw Xena bring you here and thought I'd see if you were okay.

Gabrielle coughed as Xena got up and rubbing her back to try and help. After a couple moments the coughing fit stopped and Xena layed Gabrielle back down. Gabrielle looked at Xena who had a sad expression in her eyes and knew that her condition must've been bad.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) I'm not doing so great am I?

Xena didn't know what to say as she looked at Gabrielle's face which looked so tired. She could almost physically feel her heart breaking as Gabrielle saw her answer in Xena's sorrowful expression. Gabrielle took Xena's hand and lightly squeezed it.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) It's okay Xena.

Silent tears began streaming down Xena's face as Gabrielle reached up and brushed her thumb against Xena's cheek. Whipping away some of her tears.

XENA
You can't leave me like this. What about our little girl?

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) She still has you. I know with you as her mother Aurora will grow up to be a great woman.

Gabrielle paused as she fought to take several deep breaths. She then looked at Ephiny for a moment as she thought of something else that as the Amazon queen she had to do.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Ephiny.

Ephiny stepped forward.

EPHINY
Gabrielle before you say what I think you're going to say, just know that I never had any desire to become queen. I only accepted while you were away because we're friends and I knew it was permanent. But I just don't think I'm suited to be the full-time queen of the Amazons. I think you should consider someone else who's more qualified.

Gabrielle gave a weak smile.

GABRIELLE
(Weak/ Joking tone) If you were to ask certain people I was never qualified to be queen either.

EPHINY
I'm serious Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) I know. And I'm sorry for putting you in that position when you didn't really want it.

EPHINY
Don't be. I was more than happy to stand in for you.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Thanks Ephiny. And you don't have to worry about being queen full-time.

EPHINY
Okay? Not that I'm complaining but if I'm not your choice of successor who is? I get that Aurora's your daughter but she's far too young yet.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) I know, which is why it's not her either.

EPHINY
Then who?

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) The person I choose to give my right of caste to is someone who I know without a doubt will always have the Amazon's best interest at heart and that I trust more than anyone else in this world. The person I know will make an amazing queen.

Gabrielle looked to her side seeing an expression of disbelief, but was still completely convinced that she was making the right decision. Not just for her or this village, but for all of the Amazon people as a whole. Regardless of what the soon to be new queen of the Amazons might think.

GABRIELLE
And that person is Xena.

Pt.5

Xena and Ephiny stood by Gabrielle's bed as both were momentarily stunned completely speechless by Gabrielle's announcement. Finally Ephiny was the first to snap out of her shocked state and spoke.

EPHINY
Did you just say you're picking Xena to take your place as queen?

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) I'm sorry Ephiny. I thought you didn't want to be queen.

EPHINY
It's not that. I don't. I'm just surprised that you chose Xena is all.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Why.

XENA
(Stern tone) Because it's a bad idea.

Gabrielle and Ephiny looked at Xena. Xena sighed as she realized that she had taken a much rougher tone then she intended to. The stress of everything was wearing on her and Gabrielle's decision had taken Xena completely off guard. Xena took Gabrielle's hand.

XENA
Sorry I didn't mean it like that, I just don't think you're thinking clearly right now. I think you should wait to make such a big decision like this.

Gabrielle looked at Ephiny.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Ephiny could you give me and Xena a moment to talk?

EPHINY
Sure. Take your time. I'll be outside if you need anything.

Ephiny gave Xena a supportive squeeze on her shoulder as she walked by and left the room, shutting the door behind her. Now with only Gabrielle and herself in the room, Xena tried to sort through the multiple thoughts that were racing through her head. After a moment Gabrielle decided to start.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena...

XENA
I won't do it.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena...

XENA
(Stern tone) No.

Xena stood up and walked to the foot of the bed as she folded her arms across her chest and looked out the window, avoiding eye contact.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena please. Just look at me.

Xena let out a defeated sigh and turned to face Gabrielle.

XENA
Gabrielle have you seriously thought through what you're doing?

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Do you really think I would make such a big decision like this on a whim.

XENA
You have been known to be impulsive at times.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) I'm serious Xena. I'm not the same girl that made those choices before thinking things through. I thought you saw that.

XENA
I know. I just.... Gabrielle I really don't think this is a good idea. Besides why plan for something that isn't going to happen.

Gabrielle held out her hand, gesturing for Xena to come to her. Reluctantly Xena walked back over to Gabrielle as she sat on the edge of the bed and took Gabrielle's hand.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena I heard you and the healers talking. I already know I'm dying.

XENA
You are not going to die.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) I know it's hard to hear but you have to accept it. We're not immortal. We're both gonna die at some point. And you know people like us who run towards danger instead of away from it don't tend to live very long lives. My time is just gonna be sooner than we exspected.

Xena couldn't fight the tears as they fell. Knowing deep down that what Gabrielle was saying was true.

XENA
Gabrielle. I can't.I need you.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) I love you Xena. You're gonna be just fine without me. You'll have Aurora. Our beautiful girl.

XENA
But giving me your right of caste. Gabrielle you know I can't become queen of the Amazon's. It should go to Ephiny. Or someone else who's more deserving.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) This is actually something I've thought about this for a while now. I just never found a good time to bring it up.

XENA
But why me? I'm not an Amazon.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Maybe not technically, but you've done so much for the Amazon's. Plus I wasn't one before I became an Amazon princess.

XENA
This is different and you know it. You know about my history with the Amazon's. The horrific things I did to them. I'm one of the last people who should ever be given an Amazonian title of any kind. Especially queen.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You can't hold yourself hostage to your past for the rest of your life Xena.

XENA
Yes, I can. And I deserve much worse.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You know I don't like it when you talk like that. You're not that person who did those things anymore.

XENA
Maybe not but it still doesn't change what I've done.

Gabrielle took a labored deep breath.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Look I'm not gonna waste what little time I have left trying to convince you that you can leave your past behind you. I already know I won't get anywhere. But I stand by my decision regardless.

XENA
Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Please Xena. I know you don't think so, but I can't think of anyone who would be better suited to rule over the Amazon's. You've done so much good for the Amazon's since I've known you. You know even more about Amazonian culture than I do. Plus with your vast knowledge in so many areas I know you can lead the Amazon's to be even better.

XENA
You're really serious about this aren't you?

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Yes. Plus think about it Xena, wouldn't it be nice to raise Aurora somewhere safe. And around people who love her.

XENA
I guess I can't argue with you there.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) And once she's old enough if you still don't like being queen, you can give the title to her.

Xena sighed knowing that Gabrielle was making a lot of good points. Especially when it came to giving Aurora a stable home. But she still didn't like the idea of becoming queen for multiple reasons.

XENA
I don't know Gabrielle. You say I should let go of what happened in the past, but even if I did I'm not the only one who remembers all the crimes I've committed against the Amazon's. I just don't think they'd accept me as their queen.

EPHINY
Well if it matters any, you'd have my support.

Xena looked over her shoulder to see Ephiny walking back in the room.

EPHINY
Sorry I just wanted to check in and couldn't help but over hear.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) It's okay.

XENA
What do you think about this?

EPHINY
I trust Gabrielle's judgment. Plus I've known you long enough to know that if you put your mind to something, there really isn't anything you can't do.

XENA
(Sarcasm) Thanks for the pep talk.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) So it's settled then. Ephiny how exactly would Xena becoming queen work? When I became an Amazon I didn't became queen until later, after Melossa died.

EPHINY
Well providing she accepts, it wouldn't really be different from when you were crowned. Well minus that drama with Valassca.

GABRIELLE
(Weak/ Sarcastic tone) Don't remind me.

Gabrielle brushed away the memory of the drama involving Valassca during her crowning ceremony. Briefly wondering how she still didn't see Valassca's betrayal and attempt to take her place as queen coming before returning her focus to Ephiny as she continued her explanation.

EPHINY
You would first give your right of caste to Xena, thus giving your title to her. Then like with you we would hold an official crowning. And that's pretty much it.

XENA
Have you ever thought that your people make it far too easy for someone to take control of the throne?

EPHINY
Oh please give us some credit Xena. The majority of people still have to accept whoever's named queen.

XENA
That's what I'm afraid of.

Gabrielle gave a weak smile.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) I know they will.

Xena returned her attention to Gabrielle.

XENA
You're really sure about this?

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) I don't wanna make you feel like you're being forced into anything. So if you really don't wanna do this I'll give the title to Ephiny. But I really think you could do so much good as queen Xena. I know you have reservations and I understand why. But I know this will be a good thing for both you and the Amazon's.

Xena felt a tear escape her eye.

XENA
How can losing you possibly be good for anyone?

Gabrielle reached up and gently wiped away the tear before resting her hand on Xena's cheek.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Come on Xena we've seen it plenty of times. That good things can come from something painful.

Xena was silent for a moment.

XENA
Okay I'll do it. But just promise me you'll keep fighting until the end.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Don't worry I have no intention of leaving you any sooner than I have to. I love you Xena.

XENA
I love you too Gabrielle. Always.

Xena took Gabrielle's hand from her cheek and kissed it before holding it tightly in her hands. Ephiny decided to take the tender moment between Xena and Gabrielle as her cue to leave.

EPHINY
I'm gonna go. I have work to do to prepare for Xena's coronation. I'll stop by later to see how your doing.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) See you later.

XENA
See ya.

Ephiny left. Xena sat bedside unsure of what to say or do. Sure she and Gabrielle have faced deadly situations numerous times, but this time felt different. Maybe because there was no adrenaline coursing through Xena's veins. No immediate threat that she could just cut down with her sword. She couldn't protect Gabrielle from this kind of enemy. Time and death. For all of Xena's numerous skills, she was forced to admit that there were just some things that even she couldn't do. Gabrielle was dying and there was nothing Xena could do to change that. Xena was pulled from her painful thoughts as Gabrielle got her attention.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena?

Xena looked at her.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Can you take me home?

XENA
I don't think that's a good idea. It's better if you stay here where we have everything that can help you.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena we both know nothing here is gonna do me much good now. Please I just wanna be in our own house, our own bed, with you and our daughter.

XENA
I don't know what if you have trouble breathing or get a fever again? Or something else?

Gabrielle smiled

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You're the best healer I know. I'm confident that I'll be in very capable hands. So please just take me home.

Xena knew that she couldn't refuse Gabrielle anything. Especially not now.

XENA
Okay Gabrielle. Let's go home.

After talking to the healers and gathering some medical things she might need, Xena carried Gabrielle to their house. After releaving Skyla of babysitting duty, Xena tended to Aurora before putting her to bed. Then she got in bed with Gabrielle holding her close as Xena felt the reality of what her life was about to become. Xena layed in bed that night unable to sleep feeling her heart breaking. As the sun began to set on the rule of one queen and dawn on another.

Pt.6

A few days passed as the necessary preparations were made for Xena's official coronation as the new Amazon queen. While such an event was usually a celebratory occasion, the village was uncharacteristically somber in the days leading up to the crowning. Which was understandable given the circumstances. Though the secret village had never hosted or witnessed the coronation of a new queen, fortunately Fauna had happened to had read some information on the ceremony. And Ephiny knew plenty as well due to being present when Gabrielle had first become queen. So there wasn't much trouble with preparing for the event. During that time Xena mostly stayed with Gabrielle as she took care of her and Aurora. Gabrielle had tried to convince her that she should focus more on her upcoming coronation, but Xena refused and insisted that she wanted to spend as much time as she could with Gabrielle while she could. Finally the day arrived as Xena stood looking out of the bedroom window as the villagers below finished the final last minute preparations. She watched as the dreary sky had finally given way to the rain that had been threatening to come down all morning.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) It's too bad it's gotta rain on your big day.

Xena turned to face Gabrielle who was lying in bed.

XENA
I think it's pretty fitting.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Come on don't say that. I know this isn't our finest hour, but I really think you becoming queen is gonna be a good thing.

XENA
You say that but I just don't share your vision for this one Gabrielle.

Xena sighed.

XENA
Last chance to change your mind about this. Are you really sure that making me queen is a good idea?

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena is your problem really with becoming queen or with the fact that it makes you have to face that my dying is real?

Xena didn't answer the question and didn't need to as she walked over and sat next to Gabrielle. They both already knew that Xena's main issue with the situation was primarily the latter.

XENA
I just don't know how I'm supposed to just go on with my life without you beside me. You know what you've done for me. You changed me. You're the light in my darkness. If it weren't for you I honestly don't know where I'd be now.

Gabrielle gave a weak smile.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You always give me too much credit when it comes how you've changed. You had already made that decision before we met.

XENA
Yes but you're the one who always helps me stay on the right path.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You don't need me for that.

XENA
How can you be so sure.

Gabrielle reached up and gently stroked Xena's cheek.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Because I knew you. I know the incredible, great woman you've become. I've seen how much your past still haunts you. No one who holds their past actions with so much pain and regret would go back to being that person so easily. Besides I know that you still remember that promise I had you make me quite some time ago.

Xena sighed as she remembered her promise she made when she and Gabrielle were in a particularly bad situation and it seemed like she might lose Gabrielle.

XENA
(Talking quietly) That if anything ever happened to you, I wouldn't become a monster.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Exactly. And you would never break a promise like that would you?

XENA
(Talking quietly) No, I wouldn't. Not to you.

Gabrielle smiled as she patted Xena's leg.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) I know. Now you should get ready. Don't wanna be late to your own coronation.

Xena reluctantly accepted her fate as she stood up and went over the dresser where her outfit layed. She picked up the clothing as she turned to look at Gabrielle with a raised eyebrow.

XENA
Something tells me that you had a hand in picking out my outfit didn't you?

Gabrielle smirked.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You said you didn't care what it looked like, so I had Ephiny show me a few outfits that would suit you. And that won.

XENA
Because it "suits me" huh?

Gabrielle shrugged.

XENA
(Sarcasm) And people comment about my libito.

Gabrielle giggled.

GABRIELLE
(Weak/ Joking tone) Hey I’m not dead yet.

Xena sighed as she chose to ignore the death comment and got changed into her new Amazonian attire. After she was finished Xena stood in the middle of the room as Gabrielle smiled approving of Xena's new look.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Wow.

Xena had been mistaken for an Amazon many times due to her usual outfit and being a female warrior which wasn't all that common outside of the Amazons so it was understandable that she'd be mistaken for one of them. But now with her new outfit, everything about Xena's look practically screamed Amazon. Keeping true to Xena's typical style, the outfit was dark. Almost everything was black. The top was low cut and came down to just below her chest with two straps that crossed across the upper part of her chest in an "X" and tied behind her neck. It was studded with fringe hanging from the bottom. Her skirt had various decorations along the waistline with more down the front. It was about the same length as her usual leather skirt but had a large slit up both sides. On Xena's feet were boots that came to just below her knees with a bit of fur lining the top. Finaly on her arms she wore thin decorative armbands where her usual ones would be. And her wrists were covered by light brown and white fur bracers with thin black string wrapped around the length of the bracers which came just about up to her elbows completing the outfit.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) It looks great on you.

XENA
It's fine. I still don't get why I couldn't just wear what I normally do.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You know how big the Amazon's are on ritual and tradition. Besides I like it.

XENA
Then I guess I can wear this for a while if it makes you happy.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Hey you remember after we first got here and you came home to see me in one of my Amazon outfits.

Xena briefly smirked as she recalled the day that now seemed like such a distant memory.

XENA
Oh I remember.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Looking back who would've thought that we'd be where we are today.

XENA
It feels like a lifetime ago.

The room fell silent as the fond memory quickly turned to the realization that they would no longer be able to share moments like that together. Xena fought back the tears as she thought of how much she had taken the simple times she and Gabrielle had together for granted. So quickly had everything changed. She wished that she had treasured their time together even more than she already did. Now it was too late and all Xena wanted to do was hold Gabrielle in her arms and never let her go. But she knew that no matter how tight of a hold she had on her, all too soon Gabrielle was going to slip from her grasp. And nothing Xena could do now would change that. Xena was pulled from her thoughts when she heard a knock on the front door. She walked out of the room and yelled down the stairs for the person at the door to come in. A few moments later Skyla and Clover entered the bedroom.

CLOVER
It's almost time.

XENA
Alright I'll be right down.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Before you go can you help me to the window so I can at least watch from up here.

Xena gave a soft smile as she lifted Gabrielle out of bed and carried her to a chair that sat by the window. After making sure Gabrielle was settled Skyla and Clover took a seat on each side of Gabrielle to watch Xena's crowning. A couple days prior Xena had asked them to stay with Gabrielle and Aurora during the ceremony which they happily agreed.

XENA
I guess this is it. The next time I see you I'll be an Amazon queen.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You'll be great.

Xena gave Gabrielle a kiss as she left the room and went outside where everyone else had already gathered in the rain. Xena walked down the row that was formed by the crowd as she made her way to the stage that had been set up in the village square. Thunder rumbled and the rain poured as Xena slowly walked up the couple of steps and continued to the center of the platform where Ephiny stood waiting. Xena stood stoicly facing the crowd as Ephiny began to speak. It was a standard quick speech about Gabrielle willingly relinquishing her throne and giving her right of caste as queen to Xena. As Ephiny finished she took a knee in front of Xena and presented the Amazon queen's mask to Xena. Xena stood there for a moment as she looked at the mask and everything it ment. She glanced up at the crowd who stood silently waiting for her to accept the mask. Finally she looked further up at her house where she could see Gabrielle watching her from the window.

 

XENA
(Thinking to herself) Is this really what you want Gabrielle? For me to take over what you've held so dear. I know I could never be the queen you were. But I'll do everything I can to live up to trust you have in me to do what's right for the Amazon people.

After a few awkward moments of everyone watching Xena look off into the distance, Ephiny cleared her throat, getting Xena's attention. She gave Xena a sympathetic smile as Xena finally took the queen's mask from her hands. After Ephiny moved to stand by Xena's side she gave a slight nod telling Xena that it was the moment of truth for whether or not she would accept becoming queen. After looking down at Gabrielle's mask that would now be hers, Xena silently vowed that no matter what happened from that moment on she would spend the rest of her life doing everything she could to live up to the faith that Gabrielle had in her. She would keep her promise to remain on the path of good. And if that path included taking Gabrielle's place as queen of the Amazon's, then that's what she would do. In that moment Xena looked up as she symbolically raised the mask into the air, signaling that she accepted the title and role of queen. The crowd cheered and chanted Xena's name as they celebrated their new queen. But Xena didn't pay attention to any of them as she kept all of her attention on Gabrielle who smiled at her from the window. She returned a brief smile before putting the mask on completing the ceremony and officially now making Xena the new queen of the Amazons. Watching from their room Gabrielle smiled as she felt her eyes becoming heavy.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) Huh that's got a nice ring to it. Xena, warrior queen.

Pt.7

A knock on the door stirred Xena from her thoughts as she sat in the living room. She stood up and answered the door.

XENA
Oh hey Fauna. Come in.

Xena let Fauna inside as she shut the door behind her.

FAUNA
So how are you adjusting to being queen?

XENA
Fine I guess. I still don't get why Gabrielle chose me as her successor.

FAUNA
She trusts you Xena. All of us do.

XENA
That's not true. I've heard the whispers around the village about how Gabrielle could've chosen someone who wasn't even an Amazon to become queen.

FAUNA
Okay so maybe not "all". But now one in power ever has a hundred percent approval from their people. There's always going to be those naysayers who'll look for anything to complain about.

XENA
No kidding.

FAUNA
Whether they support you being queen or not, everyone here understands that you're going through alot right now. So even though you're queen now don't be afraid to reach out when you need help. You might be one of the strongest people we know but you're still only human Xena. Just give it time. It's only been a few weeks.

XENA
I know.

Fauna smiled.

FAUNA
Oh before I forget we received a letter for you.

XENA
For me?

FAUNA
Technically it's addressed to the Amazon queen and that would be you now.

Fauna reached into the small bag she had over her shoulder and handed Xena the letter.

XENA
Thanks.

After saying goodbye, Fauna left. Xena opened the letter and read it.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) You can't be serious. Damn it.

Xena stood up and walked to the front door, opening it as she looked outside. She spotted Amarice who just happened to be walking by.

XENA
You'll work.

AMARICE
Wha..!?

Before Amarice could really say anything Xena grabbed her by the arm and pulled her inside.

XENA
Keep an eye on Gabrielle and Aurora. I'll be back.

Without waiting for a response Xena left the house, leaving a confused and slightly Irritated Amarice standing in the doorway.

AMARICE
(Sarcastically talking to herself) Sure Xena, no problem. How considerate of you to ask if I'm busy or something beforehand.

She rolled her eyes as she turned to go sit down and wait for Xena to come back as she shut the door while Xena walked away. Xena walked through the village until she found Ephiny. Seeing Xena approach Ephiny stopped what she was doing.

EPHINY
Hey Xena what's going on?

XENA
Nothing good.

Given Gabrielle's ailing heath Ephiny became worried that something might've happened.

EPHINY
Did something happen to Gabrielle?

XENA
No she's the same as she's been. At least for now anyway.

Ephiny felt relieved that Gabrielle hadn't taken a turn for the worse.

EPHINY
That's good to hear. So then what's the problem?

Xena handed Ephiny the letter she had just received.

XENA
See for yourself. It's addressed to the queen, meaning me.

Ephiny read the letter.

LETTER
         Gabrielle, Queen of the Amazons,
Though we have never met, I know of your devotion to our people. Your people, who are in dire need of help from anyone who can assist us in any way possible. To put it simply over the past several months a number of amazon villages have come under attack by various horrifying creatures. Countless numbers of our people have either fallen to these monsters or have been taken for purposes unknown to us. The attacks have spread far and wide. Accross numerous villages. Leaving chaos and destruction in their wake. It's unknown why we are being targeted, but the attacks are becoming increasingly frequent. Myself and others have already taken to fleeing our village in the hopes of escaping this creatures wrath. But as I write this letter I fear that one of the creatures is on our trail. They almost seem to be targeting Amazon's specifically. So as our queen, I ask for your assistance in finding a way to stop these creatures and put an end the brutal slaughter of your people. Please help us. Should I survive my escape I've written down a location to meet below. I hope that I am able to meet with you. But if I am caught by one of the creatures I prey to Artemis that you're able to find a way to save our people. Please my queen, save us.
            Your loyal servant,
                    Amalia

Ephiny finished reading and looked up at Xena.

EPHINY
That doesn't sound good.

XENA
No kidding.

EPHINY
What are you gonna do?

XENA
I don't know. I can't just leave Gabrielle here while I go off hunting down a bunch of monsters.

EPHINY
You can't just ignore their pleas for help either Xena. You're queen now. You have a responsibility to your people.

XENA
(Irritated tone) Don't you think I know that.

There was a moment of silence between them. Ephiny understood the situation that Xena was in and sympathized with her.

EPHINY
Look you don't have to decide anything now. Why don't you take the night, talk it over with Gabrielle and we'll discuss what to do tomorrow.

XENA
Sure.

Xena returned home and thanked Amarice for staying there while she was out. After Amarice left Xena went upstairs. She entered the bedroom and saw Gabrielle laying in bed peacefully.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) It never ends for us dose it?

Not wanting to disturb Gabrielle, Xena silently removed her armor and got into bed. She had been opting to wear her usual stuff instead of the Amazon clothing that she was giving for her coronation ceremony. She had only worn the Amazonian attire that day because she was required to. But she still kept the outfit stored away incase she needed it for whatever reason. As Xena covered up Gabrielle turned over and opened her eyes.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Hey.

XENA
Sorry for waking you.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You didn't.

Gabrielle layed her head on Xena's shoulder.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) So who was at the door a bit ago?

XENA
It was Fauna. She brought over a letter that came for y...., for the Amazon queen.

Xena had to stop herself from referring to Gabrielle as queen, having still not being used to the fact that she was the one who now held that title. Gabrielle could tell that Xena was still highly uncomfortable with being named queen and the reason for it. She held Xena's hand in hers.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) What did it say?

XENA
It was from someone named Amalia. She said that Amazon villages all over are being attacked. And that the women in the villages are either being taken or brutally killed by some kind of creatures. She asked for any kind of help that the queen could offer to stop more Amazon's from being killed.

GABRIELLE
(Weak/ horrified tone) Oh god's that's beyond horrible. You have to do something to stop this.

XENA
She asked me to meet with her but I don't think I can.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena you have to go.

XENA
How? I can't just up and leave you here like this Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You being here or not isn't going to change anything.

XENA
You can't seriously expect me to go of somewhere for who knows how long while you lay here dy...

Xena couldn't bring herself to actually say the word. Having to pause for a moment while she composed herself.

XENA
The point being I want to be here with you when the time comes. And what if I leave and I don't make it back before... before you're gone.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You still have to go. The greater good remember?

Xena sighed.

XENA
You know I really hate it when you use my own words against me like that.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Only because you know I'm right.

XENA
Yeah well I still don't like the idea of leaving you here like this. Who knows how long I'll even be gone.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) What if I promise to do everything I can to wait for you.

XENA
(Sarcasm) Bargaining with death, sure that always works.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) We've delt with plenty of other gods and came out on top. So why not death?

XENA
Maybe we can talk Celesta out of taking you all together.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena we both know that's not gonna happen.

XENA
(Sad tone) I know.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Regardless I'll do whatever I can to wait for you to come back.

Xena gave a small smile.

XENA
I love you, and if you really can't hold on that long I don't wanna stand in your way.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) I know. But I'll wait for you anyway. I want you with me just as much as you wanna be here.

Xena had to stop herself from crying again as she held Gabrielle.

XENA
I love you Gabrielle. And I always will no matter what.

After gently kissing Gabrielle, both of them slowly drifted off to sleep. As the next few days were spent preparing for Xena and a small group of others to make the trip to meet up with Amelia. After a few days the time came for Xena to leave. As a precaution Xena had already named Ephiny to become queen if anything should happen to her. Of which Ephiny once again accepted. So that meant that it was smarter for Ephiny to not come on the trip so as not to put both the queen and her successor in danger. After making the necessary preparations for someone to stay with Gabrielle and Aurora and a promise of her own to Gabrielle that she would come back safe, Xena along with Iris and Willow left the village to meet up with Amelia and try and put a stop to the attacks on Amazon's. But little did Xena know that her new role as queen would soon be put to the test as the lives of numerous people now rested in her hands whether Xena or those people liked it or not.

Pt.8

It was a few weeks worth of travel for Xena, Willow and Iris as they ventured to the set rondevue point given to Xena in the letter. For the most part the small group traveled in silence. With Xena not really much of a talker around most people and Iris being more of the quiet and shy type, Willow dispite being a more free spirited one of the three, didn't really have much luck in keeping any sort of lively conversation going. So the small group primarily each kept to themselves during the trip. But Willow and Iris understood that Xena had far more than their current mission on her mind so neither pushed her to talk or anything.

XENA
We should be there tomorrow.

WILLOW
Good. I can't wait to see what just what we're up against.

Xena looked up from her sword that she was sharpening as she shot Willow a disapproving glare from across the campfire that the three sat around.

XENA
(Slightly Irritated tone) This isn't some kind of game. People are being kidnapped and killed.

Willow looked down.

WILLOW
I know that. I didn't mean...

IRIS
It's okay Willow. We know you mean well.

Willow gave Iris a small smile. Xena sighed knowing that was unnecessary harsh to Willow.

XENA
Sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you like that. I just need you to know that this is dangerous and needs to be taken seriously.

WILLOW
I know and I do.

XENA
Good.

Xena returned to silently sharpening her blade as Iris and Willow sat quietly watching her. Both knowing that their mission was far from the only reason for Xena's less than patient attitude. They were fully aware that what Xena wanted most was to be back home with Gabrielle. And being away from Gabrielle when she knew that their time together was running short was weighing heavily on Xena's heart. So to say that Xena wasn't in the greatest of moods would be a massive understatement. The three sat without speaking for a bit until Iris thought of something to break the tense silence.

IRIS
Why don't I get started on dinner for us.

WILLOW
Good idea, I'll give you a hand.

The two stood as they began making the groups meal. Meanwhile Xena just sat there focusing on her sword. She had always found that simple tasks such as sharpening her sword or any other basic, repetitive activity helped to clear her mind. It was almost soothing to her. Xena was so preoccupied with her task she hadn't heard Iris call her. Finally Xena was brought back to reality when she saw a bowl of food get shoved in front of her. She looked up to see Willow standing there holding two bowls.

WILLOW
You should eat some, I don't mean to brag but I'm a pretty good cook.

XENA
Thanks.

Xena took the bowl as she put down her sword and sharpening stone. Xena, Willow and Iris ate.

WILLOW
I know you're worried about Gabrielle and you're being queen now and everything, but I'm sure things will work out the way they should Xena. Whatever the future holds I'm sure you can get through it.

Xena managed a small smile.

XENA
I appreciate that.

The three finished dinner and went to bed. Though Xena had been having a difficult time getting to sleep since they left. She was so accustomed to having Gabrielle beside her, Xena wondered how she would ever get used to her not being there. Eventually Xena did manage to drift off to sleep.

XENA
I think we're getting close.

Xena haulted Argo and got down from the saddle as Willow and Iris did the same with their own horses. Xena walked ahead slowly as she grabbed Argo's reigns and lead the mare behind her while the others followed.

WILLOW
Are you sure this is where we're supposed to meet up?

Xena looked around at their wooded surroundings as they continued walking.

XENA
Pretty sure. This area does look vaguely familiar so I think we're at least in the general area of where we should be.

The three cautiously walked as they looked for the Amazon they were supposed to meet. After a bit when Xena didn't see any one else around she wondered if Amalia, the Amazon she was supposed to meet had been killed by the mysterious creatures that they had come to help save these Amazon's from. After a little more looking Xena suddenly heard a noise and instantly drew her sword as she turned towards where the sound had come from. Following Xena's lead Iris and Willow drew their weapons as well. Willow having a spear and Iris a one handed sword. As all three stood ready to fight whatever might come at them they heard a voice coming from nearby.

?
Why do you trespass here? Outsiders are not welcome. I suggest you leave while you can. This whole area is highly dangerous. Especially for those who aren't from around here.

Xena looked around but couldn't see where whoever was speaking was hiding.

XENA
My name is Xena, Amazon queen. I received a letter that the women here needed help from something that's been killing the Amazon's in this area.

?
Is that so?

The voice then went silent as Xena and the others stood waiting for anything. After a moment several figures dropped from the tree's surrounding them. The shadows of the forest made it so Xena couldn't tell just who was surrounding them as the silhouettes made it so they appeared to be brandishing weapons. Now Xena was even more unsure of who they were facing. Were these the Amazon's that they were there to save? Or had Xena and the others inadvertently stumbled upon whatever had been taking and killing the locals. And now had their sights set on Xena, Willow and Iris. Could the small group fight an unknown threat? Or was Xena's reign as queen about to come to a hastiy and abrupt end?

Pt.9

With their weapons drawn, Xena, Willow and Iris stood close to one another as they were surrounded by multiple unknown figures that remained hidden in the shadows of the forest.

IRIS
(Whisper) What should we do Xena?

WILLOW
(Whisper) I bet they're what have been killing the Amazon's from here. So I say we get them before they can get us.

Willow was about to start attacking when Xena put her arm in front of her.

XENA
No wait.

Willow stopped as she gave Xena a questioning look. Xena didn't say anything as she lowered her sword and motioned for Iris and Willow to do the same. Though still feeling uneasy about the situation, both Willow and Iris lowered their weapons but stayed on alert just incase they needed to fight. They watched as Xena sheathed her blade and held up her hands in the Amazonian symbol of peace. After a moment the figures in the shadows appeared to have a brief exchange of words before they stepped out into the light.

WILLOW
(Whisper) Oh they're Amazon's.

Willow and Iris stood a little behind Xena as several women emerged from the shadows.

?
Apologies for the cold reception. We don't get many friendly visitors around this area. And even less so recently due to the attacks. So we can't be too careful when strangers enter our lands.

XENA
Given what I read in the letter your cautiousness is completely understandable.

?
Ah you must be queen Gabrielle.

The small group of women bowed to one knee.

?
I'm Amelia, it's an honor to finally meet you my queen.

Xena couldn't help but smirk to herself as she thought of how at one time she would have loved the sight of having these women bowing before her. Or really anyone for that matter. But that seemed like so long ago. As if it were another lifetime. Then again in alot of ways it was. Xena was a completely different person now from the woman she was then. And now seeing people bow before her only gave her an uncomfortable feeling. Even though she knew it was Amazonian custom to bow to their queen, it still didn't sit right with Xena that anyone should bow to her. Especially the Amazon's. Plus theses women were still unaware of the whole situation regarding Gabrielle and that Xena wasn't her. Xena cleared her throat as she made an attempt to end the awkward situation.

XENA
That's really not necessary. I'm not really into the whole formal thing. So you don't need to do any of that bowing or "my queen" stuff.

Amelia and the others with her stood. The woman smiled.

AMELIA
If that's what you wish, then that's fine with me. But regardless it's still an honor to meet you Gabrielle.

XENA
Actually the names Xena.

Amelia gave Xena a questioning look.

AMELIA
Are you not who we've been waiting for?

XENA
We are.

AMELIA
I'm afraid I'm confused here.

Xena sighed.

XENA
(Sad tone) It's kind of a long story, but Gabrielle isn't queen anymore. I am.

Everyone there could hear the sadness in Xena's voice. Even the people who had just met Xena could sense her pain. Not wanting to pry Amelia pushed the conversation forward.

AMELIA
Well it's an honor to meet you queen Xena.

XENA
Just Xena is fine.

AMELIA
Very well.

The conversation was brought to an abrupt stop when the group heard an unfamiliar sound. Everyone held their weapons ready.

AMELIA
(Talking quietly) We should leave this area.

XENA
(Talking quietly) Just what are exactly we up against here?

AMELIA
(Talking quietly) It's not safe here. Follow me to our hideout and I'll explain.

Xena nodded as she, Iris and Willow followed Amelia and the rest of her group to where they were camped.

AMELIA
Welcome to our defensive team.

Xena looked at the small group.

XENA
Not very many of you here.

AMELIA
We started out with a fairly good sized group, but you can probably guess what happened to the ones who aren't here.

Xena didn't say anything as she looked around the small camp.

AMELIA
Anyway come, I'll introduce you to the others.

XENA
Who were the others that were already with you?

AMELIA
They were just a few scouts who came to check on us. They're going to be heading back to the village.

It was getting dark as two women sat around the campfire when Amelia lead Xena and the others over to the group. One of the women looked up when she heard the sound of someone approaching.

?1
Oh Amelia it's just you. We were beginning to think the worst might've happened.

AMELIA
Sorry we ran into some people wondering around out here.

The woman looked at Xena, Iris and Willow, noticing the unfamiliar faces.

?1
I can see that.

AMELIA
Well my friends it seems like we can rest a little easier now. Help has arrived.

The woman frowned.

? 2
There's only three of them. How are three more people going to make any difference?

AMELIA
Good question. I'm assuming there are more on the way.

Amelia looked over at Xena.

AMELIA
Right?

XENA
Nope it's just us.

Amelia let out a small nervous laugh as she looked back at the others from her group.

AMELIA
Well I guess some help is better than none right?

The rest of her group mumbled and groaned in disapproval.

?1
Well we're doomed.

?3
Hey now at least Amelia tried to get help, unlike you two.

The first two women looked behind them to see another woman walking up behind them as she emerged from the bushes. One of the seated women spoke to her as she walked over to the campfire.

?1
Did you find anything Naomi?

The woman called Naomi shook her head.

NAOMI
No. It was the same as always. Not even a trace.

?2
(Sad tone) So that means the four of us are all that's left of the team.

NAOMI
That's not true Mia. At least now that we have these three joining us.

?1
(Irritated tone) I don't see how you can be so light hearted about this Naomi.

NAOMI
Because Aria if we give up hope now then none of us has any chance of survival.

ARIA
If you say so.

After finishing her chat with her group Naomi approached Xena, Iris and Willow.

NAOMI
Am I to assume that one of you is the queen?

XENA
That would be me. And you can do away with the formalities. I'm not much for titles.

NAOMI
Works for me.

Xena extended her hand as she and Naomi gripped each other's wrists in the warrior's handshake. The woman smiled.

NAOMI
I had a feeling you were a warrior.

XENA
I tend to give off that vibe.

The two let go of the others arm as Naomi motioned for Xena and the others to join them.

NAOMI
Come. I'll introduce you to the rest of our team.

Everyone sat around the campfire as the sky grew darker.

NAOMI
I think formal introductions are in order here. As I've said I'm Naomi. I'm the leader of our village.

Naomi had long brown hair that she wore down and wore a small chainmail top and skirt. The top was simple, only barely covering her chest, tying behind her back and neck. Her skirt was short, about the same length as Xena's and came down to multiple points going all the way around. Her black leather boots came up past her knees, matching her wrists guards that came up just below her elbows. Xena noticed that she had a simple spear resting against the rock next to her. Making it obvious that it was her weapon.

NAOMI
You've met Amelia.

Naomi motioned to Amelia who sat to her right. Amelia had long reddish-brown hair which was in multiple braids and pinned back. She wore maroon leather armor which consisted of a simple top which came down to her stomach. A skirt that other than the color was fairly similar to the one Xena normally wore. Her boots came halfway up her calf and had straps that wrapped around her legs. Based on the bow and quiver of arrows next to her it was obvious that she was an archeror. Though her appearance seemed a bit odd to Xena as Amelia's style of clothing didn't look very "Amazonian", infact Xena thought that it looked suspiciously Roman. But she thought that it was probably just her own distain for Romans that made Xena think that. But Xena couldn't help but ask about it anyway.

XENA
I have. And if you don't mind me saying you're attire doesn't exactly say Amazon.

Amelia looked down at her outfit for a moment.

AMELIA
Oh yeah. A while back I was enslaved by a Roman noble. A few of years ago I ended up escaping and came back to my home here.

XENA
I'm sorry. I have my own history with the Roman's. Which was the reason for my mentioning it. I didn't mean to bring up any bad memories.

Amelia smiled.

AMELIA
It's okay. It's behind me now.

Xena gave a small smile and decided to leave the subject alone.

NAOMI
Moving on, this is Mia.

Mia nodded, greeting Xena and the others. She had shoulder length red hair. A simple, black top that had thin shoulder straps which tied in the front and came down to just under her chest. She wore a brown fur wrap around skirt with a thick, black strip of some other material around the top which had string running through it, tying the skirt closed, though just barely as a slit ran most of the way up it. Her boots and arm guards were simple. Both were dark brown. Her boots came almost to her knees and her arm guards were dark brown and came up past her elbows on the outside but were shorter on the inside of her arms to allow easy movement. She wore a simple necklace with a round pendant and carried a spear as her chosen weapon. Xena gave a quick nod to greet Mia.

NAOMI
And finally this is Aria.

XENA
Hey.

ARIA
A pleasure to meet you.

The last of the four new women had long brown hair that she had in a braid and wore a thin black leather circlet around her forehead. Her top that was also black leather as was everything else she wore, came just below her chest and had thin straps on her shoulders. She had a rather decorative tight necklace with several large circular pieces hanging from it. Her skirt was again a similar style to the one Xena normally had with multiple straps of leather going around the full thing. She had guards on her forearms that covered the backs of her hands and came two thirds of the way up the tops of her forearms with only a couple straps to secure them on the inside of her arms. The outfit was completed with her almost knee high boots. Xena noted the sword on her hip and wooden shield leaning against the rock beside her and figured she was a sword and shield fighter. Xena then introduced Iris and Willow to the rest of the group.

AMELIA
Good now that introductions are out of the way, why don't you three come take a seat and have some dinner. I can fill you in on our situation while we eat.

IRIS
Given the recent attacks are you sure we're safe just staying out in the open like this?

AMELIA
Not even a little but there really isn't much we can do about it if we're gonna stop what's been killing our people.

WILLOW
(Sarcasm) Oh that's comforting.

AMELIA
Don't worry we set up traps around the perimeter that'll make noise if they're tripped.

XENA
Good. Now let's go sit down and get to the point of why we're here.

Amelia smirked.

AMELIA
Straight to the point I see. I think I'm gonna like you Xena.

So the whole group sat around the campfire and ate as Xena and the others with her were about to learn the true danger they were about to face. More so for Xena once their new companions would discover exactly who she used to be.

Pt.10

Crickets chirped as the group of Amazon's including Xena, sat around the campfire in the dark woods as they ate and Amelia filled Xena, Willow and Iris in on the situation that they had found themselves in.

XENA
Now what exactly is the reason for needing to call the Amazon queen for help?

AMELIA
Where should I start?

XENA
From the beginning would work.

Amelia put down her plate as she sighed and looked into the fire.

AMELIA
Honestly we didn't specify need you to come, we just wanted anyone who might be able to stop our people from being killed.

XENA
By who?

AMELIA
More like by what.

Xena sat quietly as she waited for Amelia to continue.

AMELIA
It all started about seven months ago. A group of our hunters were out tracking. I guess they came across some very strange looking tracks that weren't like anything that could normally be seen around these parts.

XENA
So it's some kind of beast then?

AMELIA
Yes but probably not like the kind you're thinking. These tracks were strange. They weren't made by paws or feet. It always looked as though something was being dragged. At first we thought it was something that flew and the marks were made by the people it was dragging off.

XENA
But it's actually the creatures that are making those tracks.

Amelia smirked.

AMELIA
You catch on quickly. I like that.

XENA
So we're likely dealing with a large serpent of some kind.

AMELIA
Yes but I don't think that's all there is to it though.

IRIS
Why do you say that?

AMELIA
This thing, whatever it is seems intelligent. Like it knows we're after it. I could swear I've heard it laughing at us when it got away once.

WILLOW
Have you actually seen it?

AMELIA
We're only caught a quick glimpse of it's silhouette in the shadows a couple of times. But that's it. No one has been able to get a good look at the thing.
(Sighing) At least no one that's survived to tell the tale anyway.

Everyone around the fire went silent for a few moments. As they sat there Xena thought about the information she'd just been given. Finally Xena broke the silence.

XENA
I've never seen one but based on what you've said it could be something like a gorgon.

ARIA
A gorgon? You mean like Madussa?

XENA
Exactly.

Mia scoffed.

MIA
You can't be serious. Madussa was killed ages ago by Perseus. We've all heard the stories about it.

XENA
I said "a" gorgon. Which is the type of creature that Madussa was. You do realize that there are more than one don't you?

MIA
Yes I know that I'm not stupid. And even so. Do you have any idea how many serpent type creatures there are. Hydra's, the horned serpent, Typhon, Scylla and who knows what else.

XENA
I'm just throwing out ideas. I never said I knew for sure what it was.

MIA
Obviously.

Xena scowled at Mia.

XENA
Do you have some kind of problem with me?

Mia didn't answer.

NAOMI
Mia?

MAI
There's just something about her rubs that me the wrong way.

NAOMI
Like what? If you ask me Xena seems like a perfectly nice person.

Mia looked away as she refused to answer. Feeling the tension in the air Naomi decided to change the subject.

NAOMI
It's been a long day and everyone is on edge. Unfamiliar environment, new people, a threat looming over us that we still really know nothing about. Maybe it's best if we call it a night. I'm sure our guests are tired from the long trip anyway.

MIA
Whatever.

Mia stood up and after glaring at Xena for a moment she walked off to the far side of camp as she spread out her blanket and layed down with her back facing the rest of the group. Naomi sighed as she looked at Xena.

NAOMI
Sorry about that. She's not really a people person.

Xena shrugged.

XENA
It's no big deal.

NAOMI
Good to hear. Well goodnight everyone.

The group found various spots around the fire to lay down and get some sleep. As Xena layed in the darkness her thoughts once again went to Gabrielle, as she hoped that she hadn't gotten worse. Xena fought back her tears as she thought of the very real possibility that the day she left the village might very well have been the last time she would get to see Gabrielle alive. Her last waking thought was of Gabrielle how she wanted to get back to the village to see her. As Xena hoped that when this was all over she wouldn't be too late.

XENA
(Whisper) Look here.

Xena was crouched near some trees as she quietly called over Naomi who came and crouched beside her.

XENA
(Whisper) Seems like we're on the right trail. These tracks are fresh.

NAOMI
(Whisper) So you're a tracker.

XENA
(Whisper) I have many skills.

Naomi gave a quick gesture to the rest of the group following a little behind them to signal what they found.

AMELIA
(Whisper) Yes! We must be close.

ARIA
(Whisper) You're far too excited about this Amelia.

WILLOW
(Whisper) I'm with Amelia here. Things might finally be getting exciting.

MIA
(Whisper) I still don't get why Xena gets to take charge when she just got here.

AMELIA
(Whisper) Obviously because she's queen Mia.

MIA
(Whisper) So she says.

WILLOW
(Whisper) What's that supposed to mean?

IRIS
(Whisper) Shhh we're supposed to be stealthily.

Hearing the rest of the groups whispers behind them, Xena turned her head and shot to group of look that pretty much said "All of you shut up or else." They all got the message loud and clear and stopped talking as Xena returned her attention forward.

NAOMI
(Whisper) One of your "many skills" I'm assuming.

Xena gave a disapproving glance in Naomi's direction who didn't seem intimidated by the look like the others were, but went quiet anyway. Though the look did stir something else in her. As if she had seen those same eyes giving the same look in some distant memory that Naomi had tucked away in the darkest corners of her mind. Something that if she had the time she might have found it then. But it would have to wait as she heard a rustling sound that Xena had clearly picked up on. As well as the rest of the group.

WILLOW
(Whisper) Hey did you guys hear thAAAH!

Willow let out a scream as she felt something wrap around her ankle and pull her to the ground as she began being quickly dragged away into the darkness of the forest. Everyone looked back in shock before drawing their weapons when they heard Willow scream and took off in the same direction that Willow had been dragged. As they ran Xena spotted tracks that made it clear that they were heading in the right direction. They chased for a bit before unfortunately losing the trail as they stood amongst the trees.

IRIS
Willow!

AMELIA
Damn it not again!

The group heard another scream that obviously came from Willow.

AMELIA
Shit where did it go?

Xena examined their surroundings in the hopes of finding some kind of clue that would help them find and save Willow. She looked for a few moments until she spotted something that caught her eye.

XENA
The good news is I found something that might help us find Willow.

Hearing Xena the others walked over to where she was crouched down, looking at something.

NAOMI
Usually when someone begins a sentence like that it's never followed by more good news.

XENA
And it isn't this time either.

Xena held up her hand for the others to see the blood on her fingertips.

XENA
The ground here is soaked with blood. And it's fresh.

IRIS
No Willow.

The group stood and held their weapons ready as they heard Willow make another painful scream. Xena knew that from the amount of blood on the ground that if they didn't find Willow soon, she would become this murderous creatures next victim.

Pt.11

IRIS
What do we do? We have to save Willow.

Iris and the others stood in the dark woods as they looked at the blood on the ground that Xena had found after Willow was suddenly dragged off by the creature that the group had been searching for. Xena stood as she looked around and wiped the blood from her hand.

XENA
Stay calm. Panicking now won't do anyone any good.

A few of the group jumped slightly when they heard Willow scream again.

WILLOW
Help!! AAA!

AMELIA
It sounds like they're that way.

Amelia nodded forward towards some more dense foliage. Xena held her sword ready as the others did the same with their weapons. Together they quickly but cautiously moved into the greenery with Xena taking the lead. After hurrying through the bushes Xena spotted Willow laying on the ground as she tried to back away from a figure that was hidden by the shadows. Her body was covered in deep gashes and blood. She desperately swung her staff at the creature only to have it swatted away as it advanced towards her. Willow backed up until she felt the rough bark of a tree hit her back. Now left injured, defenseless and no where to run, Willow's eyes went wide in terror as the shadowy creature moved in close an raised up to tower over her. Though the shadows still concealed its specific identity the silhouettes that could be seen confirmed that they were infact dealing with a serpent creature of some kind. As the creature prepared to strike Xena reached and grabbed her chakrum. She let out her battle cry as she sent the bladed weapon hurling towards the creature. Hearing Xena, the creature became distracted as it looked back just as Xena's chakrum sliced the creatures arm. It let out a painful yell and looked around quickly before it took off into the woods as Xena's chakrum bounced around and made it's way back to her hand. The rest of the group emerged from the bushes as they moved to check on Willow as Xena returned her chakrum to her hip and followed. Amelia stood looking in the direction that the creature had freedom in as the others gathered around Willow.

AMELIA
(Frustrated tone) Damn thing got away again.

NAOMI
Worry about that later, we have bigger problems right now.

IRIS
Willow.

Everyone turned their focus to Willow who layed against the tree a bloody mess from multiple deep wounds.

ARIA
If we don't do something soon that "thing" is gonna have another victim to add to it's list.

After sheathing her sword Xena crouched down to examine the damage.

XENA
Let me see.

The others moved aside to give her room.

NAOMI
So you're a healer too?

Xena shrugged as she began looking over Willow's injuries.

XENA
I have some experience in the area.

MIA
Is there anything you can't do?

XENA
Raise the dead. Which is what Willow will be if I don't stop this bleeding. Now someone go through our supplies and get me a needle, thread, water and something to use as a bandage.

AMELIA
I'm on it.

As Amelia stood and turned to fetch the items she and everyone heard Mia speak.

MAI
(Angry tone) Stop what you're doing right now and back away from her slowly.

Amelia turned around and saw Mia holding her spear with the blade barely inches from Xena's face as she stood behind her. Xena scowled as she glanced over her shoulder at Mia.

XENA
What do you think you're doing?

MAI
(Angry tone) Quiet. Now move.

AMELIA
Mia what are you doing?!

XENA
I don't have time for nonsense. She's going to die unless we do something.

Mia glared at Xena.

MIA
Your right which is exactly why I don't want you anywhere near her.

Aria walked over to Mia.

ARIA
Mia what's gotten into you?

IRIS
Are you saying that you want Willow to die?

Mia looked at iris.

MIA
Of course I don't. Which is exactly why "she" shouldn't be allowed anywhere near her.

Mia motioned to Xena.

MIA
Or any of us for that matter. We need to find Willow some actual help and then we can deal with "her" once and for all.

 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series                                 
SCROLL VI : AN ABOMINABLE ASCENSION pt.12-22

Pt.12

Naomi, Amalia, Aria and Iris stood baffled by Mia's sudden outburst against Xena who was trying to save the injured Willow.

NAOMI
(Stern tone) What do you think you're doing Mia? How could you dare raise your weapon to our queen?

Mia scoffed.

MIA
(Angry tone) So she says.

IRIS
It's true Xena IS queen. Gabrielle gave Xena her right of caste.

MIA
(Angry tone) While I don't particularly believe that story, even if it is true I don't care. To willingly give up her queenhood to her Gabrielle must not have been in her right mind, been fooled like all of you or she's just plain stupid.

While Xena wasn't typically bothered by people saying whatever they wanted about her, she never did like people saying things about Gabrielle that weren't true. Even more so now given everything.

XENA
(Angry tone) You had better watch what you say about her.

MIA
(Angry tone) Or what Xena? Are you gonna let your true colors show? That's right, it took me a bit to remember but from the moment I saw you, you seemed so familiar. I knew that I had seen you somewhere before.

IRIS
Xena you two know each other?

Xena searched her memory for a moment but nothing came to mind.

XENA
No not that I recall.

MAI
(Angry tone) I'm not surprised you don't remember me. But then again why would you? After all I'm you've lost track of just how many of my people you're responsible for the deaths of. Isn't that right "queen"? Or would you prefer to be called by one of your other titles? But which one? Conquerer? Or Destroyer Of Nations? Or instead how about just plain murderer?

Hearing her former titles of the Conquerer and Destroyer were spoken by Mia Xena's memory was sparked of that of a time long past. She remembered her evil conquest against the Amazon's. All the horrific things she did in the name of obtaining power. Her dealings with the evil sorceress Alti. The blood of so many Amazon's that would never be cleaned from her hands. The others saw the expression on Xena's face change from anger and confusion to sadness as she heard Mia speak.

IRIS
I don't know what you're talking about, but you must have Xena continued with someone else. I've known Xena for a while now and I know that she's a good person.

MIA
Then like our true queen, you've obviously been fooled by her too. I don't know what she's after by doing this, but whatever it is I won't allow her to cause any more harm to our people. I guess there are two monsters here that we have to deal with but it's hard to tell which one is the bigger threat.

IRIS
Xena?

Willow gasped as everyone's attention returned to her. Including Xena who went back to trying to save her.

MIA
I said don't move.

XENA
We don't have time for this right now. If we don't act fast Willow will die.

MIA
(Angry Sarcasm) And I'm sure that she'll be safe in your hands.

Finally after accessing the situation for long enough Naomi decided to speak up.

NAOMI
That's enough Mia.

Mia looked at Naomi.

MIA
(Angry tone) Don't tell me that you actually still trust her. After all you didn't hear her deny any of it.

NAOMI
You're right and I can't blame you for being angry. But now isn't the time for this. We have an injured woman here and unless you have some medical training that I'm not aware of, Xena is the only one here who stands a chance of stopping that damned creature from taking another victim. So I say we let Xena work and we can sort out the rest of this afterwards.

MIA
But the things she's done. How can we trust her? She shouldn't be allowed to call herself queen or even an Amazon for that matter. Much less be allowed to live. 

NAOMI
You may be right, but we don't have much of a choice right now. Like I said right now she's the only one of us who can possibly stop another one our people from dying. So for now just leave her be.

MIA
Is that an order Naomi?

NAOMI
If it needs to be.

MIA
Fine.

Mia lowered her weapon as she walked around Xena and stood a few feet in front of her as she kept her spear drawn.

MIA
But I'm keeping my eye on you. If I see anything funny you'll be dead before you even know what happened.

Xena didn't respond as she went back to her efforts to save Willow. As she worked Xena glanced up at Naomi.

XENA
Thanks.

NAOMI
I wouldn't thank me just yet Xena. Do what you can for her. We'll talk afterwards.

Naomi turned away as she addressed the others.

NAOMI
Given our current situation I think it would be best if we let Xena work while we find a spot nearby to set up camp. If our friend here survives traveling isn't going to be very easy. So now that we have that among other things to consider we need to regroup and figure out what our next move is gonna be. So spread out and find somewhere we can stay for the night. Just remember not to go far and keep yourselves on alert. We already had one person getting attacked today. I'd rather not add to that number.

Naomi looked at Iris.

NAOMI
You and Willow are friends right?

IRIS
Yes.

NAOMI
Then you can stay here with her if you want.

IRIS
Okay.

Xena glanced up at Naomi for a moment as she worked. Unsure of whether she told Iris to stay because of the fact that they were friends. Or because Naomi no longer trusted Xena after learning about her past crimes against the Amazonian people. Though Xena summized that it was most likely a combination of both. And at the moment Xena didn't have time to argue her case that Willow wasn't in any danger from being left with her. Not that she could blame Naomi's new found skepticism of her giving the reveal of who she used to be.

NAOMI
We'll be sure not to go far and be back soon. So just yell if you need anything.

IRIS
I will.

NAOMI
Good.

Naomi turned to everyone else.

NAOMI
Now let's get moving people. I want a decent camping spot with everything set up before dark.

As the others left, Iris sat quietly as she watched Xena work on Willow. Occasionally handing Xena something that she would ask for. Xena couldn't tell what she was thinking and didn't have time to ask as for the time being her focus was on saving Iris.

NAOMI
How is she?

Xena finished washing her hands as she turned to face Naomi. She looked over at Willow who now layed on a blanket in the groups camp. By the time Xena had finished stitching up Willow's multiple wounds a couple of the others returned and helped carry the injured woman to the camp that had been set up as Xena and Iris followed.

XENA
She should be okay. She's gonna be really sore for a while but she'll live.

NAOMI
That's good to hear. At least we stopped that thing from taking another person from us.

XENA
I'm guessing that your only reason for coming over here wasn't just to see how Willow was doing.

NAOMI
You're just as observant as I figured you'd be.

XENA
Look about what Mia was saying...

Naomi held up her hand signaling for Xena to stop talking. Which she did.

NAOMI
I'm sure you have plenty to say right now. And honestly I have some things I'd like to tell you too. Now why don't we go for a little walk so we can talk in private.

XENA
Is that really wise given the fact that there's some blood thirsty creature roaming around out here?

NAOMI
Don't worry I'm sure that the two of us can handle ourselves.

Naomi smirked.

NAOMI
(Joking) And besides if things go south I can always throw you to the proverbial wolves while I get out of there.

Xena smirked as well, sensing that Naomi didn't appear serious about her last statement. At least she hoped she wasn't anyway.

XENA
(Joking) You're welcome to try.

NAOMI
Good let's go. I've already told the others that we'd be leaving camp for a bit.

Naomi walked passed Xena and disappeared into the darkness and trees. After momentarily looking around camp to make sure everyone else was there and she wasn't about to walk into an ambush, Xena followed Naomi through the trees. She made sure to keep her weapons with her as she was uncertain of just where her meeting with Naomi alone would lead. Or how she was going to not only remain queen but regain the other women's trust after learning about her dark past. And not only from those who were with Xena on this mission. But what would everyone back at the village think if they return. Surely Iris and Willow would tell the others about who they learned Xena used to be. What would they do to her? Other then reject her as queen, would they stop Xena from returning home? Stop her from seeing Gabrielle and Aurora? Kill her? But what Xena was more concerned with was what might happen to Gabrielle if they learned that she knew about alot of Xena's evil deeds. That was to say if Gabrielle were even still alive when word made it to the village. Far too many uncertainties raced through Xena's mind as Naomi stopped and faced her.

NAOMI
I think this spot is as good as any.

Xena watched as Naomi leaned back against a tree and held her spear at her side.

NAOMI
Now let's hear what you've got to say for yourself Xena. And if I were you I'd be very careful about choosing the next words that come out of your mouth. Because they may very well be your last.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Pt.13

The night life made their subtle sounds as Xena and Naomi stood alone amung the trees out of earshot of the others. Naomi kept hold of her spear as she learned against a tree waiting for Xena to respond. Xena crossed her arms as she tried to decide what she should say.

XENA
You asked what I have to say for myself. What exactly do you exspect me to say?

NAOMI
Fair question. How 'bout we start with how you ended up here.

XENA
Is anything I say actually gonna matter?

NAOMI
If I can validate it. And if not I'd like to think that I'm fairly good at being able to tell if I'm being lied to.

XENA
And you're willing to hear me out after the accusations Mia made.

NAOMI
I like to think that I'm a fair woman. I'd rather not cast judgment on someone before I have as much information I can get on the situation. Whatever it may be.

XENA
And if you don't believe me or like what I say you'll kill me.

NAOMI
That's what I said. I think giving the accusations against you that seems fair, don't you?

XENA
I can't argue with that.

NAOMI
Good. Now tell me Xena how is it that you ended up becoming queen of my people?

Xena sighed as looked away and out into the dark woods that surrounded them. Without going in lengthy detail, she told Naomi about how her and Gabrielle's relationship and about their daughter Aurora being kidnapped in a quest for revenge on the two of them. Xena told Naomi about the extensive injuries that Gabrielle had suffered while trying to get their child back. That her condition had taken a turn for the worse. And after learning that she was going to die, Gabrielle had willingly given Xena her right of caste as queen even though Xena had protested the decision.

XENA
And that's pretty much how I ended up here.

NAOMI
I see. Given the fact that you share a child I assume you and our former queen are involved.

XENA
Yes. She's everything that's right in my life.

Naomi was silent for a moment as she mulled over what Xena told her before speaking.

NAOMI
And I'm assuming that others can verify your story.

XENA
Yes. Willow and Iris are both aware of what happened. As well as everyone else back in the village.

NAOMI
I see.

Xena could see that Naomi was deep in thought.

NAOMI
If you don't mind I have a few other questions I'd like to ask before I decide what to do with you.

XENA
Ask away.

NAOMI
What Mia said is true isn't it?

Xena looked away sadly.

XENA
Yes. I've done unspeakable things. Not only to the Amazon's, but to so many others. I know that nothing I do could ever erase all of the pain and suffering I've caused. But I'll spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to make up for it. Though I know I never will.

NAOMI
I completely believe that. I can see the unmistakable difference from who you are now to the person you were back then.

Xena looked back at Naomi surprised by what she said. Naomi momentarily smiled.

NAOMI
We never meet directly until you came here to help us with this but I've seen you. I was on the battlefield when you came through the northern Amazon's territory years ago. Though as you can see I didn't quite get the same up close up look at you that alot of the others did.

Xena caught Naomi's implication of the fact that she had managed to escape the slaughter of the majority of women from the northern amazon tribe as Xena's mind flashed back to the brutal way she had killed so many of those women.

NAOMI
Though I wasn't completely sure at first but that disapproving glare you gave me earlier sparked something. I knew I've seen that same cold look before but I couldn't quite place it. Then like Mia, after hearing that yell of yours I was certain that I knew who you were.

XENA
I don't know what to say other than I'm sorry. I know that isn't nearly enough but there aren't nearly enough words to express how truly horrible I feel about what I've done to your people.

NAOMI
I know. And I think you mean our people by the way.

XENA
Everything after everything you still think of me as your queen? Why?

NAOMI
It's simple, I can tell that you're not that same woman I saw back then. And don't like the dwell on the past.

XENA
I think you might be the only one here who thinks that way.

NAOMI
That wouldn't surprise me. But we have other things to deal with here. I can't speak for the people who came with you, but I'll do what I can to see that the women from my village follow your orders. I can't make them like you but I can make sure that they don't do anything to further worsen the situation.

XENA
I don't think it'll be that easy but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Naomi pushed off the tree as she stood up straight.

NAOMI
Good now that that's settled we have a monster to kill. Let's get back to camp and get some rest.

Xena and Naomi walked back to where everyone else was. As they returned, Xena could feel the icy stares directed her way from most of others as she went to check on how Willow was doing. Even Iris was more standoffish as she sat by Willow while Xena made sure she was doing okay.

XENA
How's she doing?

IRIS
The same.

Xena crouched down to check Willow's pulse and was relieved to find that it was strong.

XENA
Well it looks like with a little rest I'm confident that she's gonna be just fine.

IRIS
Good.

Iris paused for a moment and Xena knew what must've been going through her head. So she wasn't at all surprised by the next thing out of Iris' mouth.

IRIS
I don't want to believe it Xena but was Mia right? Are you really who she says you are?

XENA
It was a long time ago but yes.

IRIS
Does Gabrielle know?

XENA
Not every little detail but yeah she knows alot about my past.

IRIS
Okay.

Iris looked back at Willow and Xena stood up as she took the hint that the conversation was over. Though she couldn't tell what Iris was thinking, Xena knew that after learning about her past it was going take the rest of the group time to adjust to the reality that their queen was responsible for taking the lives of so many of their people. That was to say if they even would be able to at all. Not that Xena would blame them. As Xena settled down for the night away from the others she had no idea of the true difficulties she would have to overcome as everyone was about to become reminded of the true danger that they were all very much in.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Pt.14

Naomi pushed down some branches of a tree as she and Xena looked ahead for any signs of the creature.

NAOMI
(Whisper) Not seeing any signs that it's been here. You?

XENA
(Whisper) No.

Both Xena and Naomi stood from their crouched positions as Naomi waved for the others to come over. With Iris and Amelia helping the injured Willow walk.

ARIA
We've been looking for this thing since dawn Naomi. It might be a good idea to take a break.

Aria motioned to Willow.

NAOMI
I don't know. I don't really like the idea of sitting out in the open like this. Especially with an injured woman on our hands now.

XENA
Actually I think it's probably a better idea to stop for a bit. If we don't let Willow rest it'll be even more difficult to escape that thing and she's too weak or tired.

ARIA
(Angry tone) No one asked you murderer.

Naomi was about to say something in Xena's defense but Xena stopped her.

NAOMI
Fine I guess we can stop for a bit. I'm not seeing anything around here anyway. Okay people we're talking a short break but be ready to move out soon.

Everyone moved into the small clearing as Iris and Amelia set Willow down against a tree.

NAOMI
I apologize for Aria.

XENA
No need. I understand all of their mistrust of me.

NAOMI
I suppose. Though it's not as though you've done anything since you've come here. Infact you've gone out of your way to protect everyone here. Doesn't seem right to judge you solely based on things that most of them up until last night weren't even aware of

Xena smiled sadly.

XENA
You sound like Gabrielle. She's always saying things like that in my defense.

NAOMI
Sounds like she must be a smart woman.

XENA
Amung other things.

NAOMI
Well for what it's worth I'm sorry that you have to be here while she's back in your village. I hope you're able to get back home to see her before... well you know.

Even though Xena had filled her in on Gabrielle's condition, Naomi was careful with her wording. When Xena spoke about Gabrielle, Naomi could tell how important she was to Xena. So she tried her best to be careful when bringing up the sensitive subject matter of Gabrielle's death. Which she had apparently failed to do as she saw Xena lose her small smile.

XENA
Thanks I hope so too.

NAOMI
Sorry I probably shouldn't have brought that up. That was insensitive of me.

XENA
No it's fine. I appreciate the concern.

Xena managed a small, thankful smile. The conversation was broken up when they heard Amelia calling for Naomi.

AMELIA
Naomi, I think we might have trouble.

Both Xena and Naomi turned to face Amelia who hurried over to them.

NAOMI
What is it?

Amelia glared at Xena for a moment.

AMELIA
(Disgusted tone) I don't get why you're still talking to "her".

Naomi gave Amelia a disapproving look.

NAOMI
(Stern tone) Who I choose to associate with or not is none of your concern. Now was there something you needed to tell me or is my social life truly that important to you?

Amelia looked away briefly.

AMELIA
Sorry.

Naomi looked at Xena as she wondered which one of them Amelia was apologizing to. Though after catching a quick look of distain from Amelia towards Xena, Naomi realized that it was obviously for herself. But they didn't have the time to deal with the mistrust of the group towards Xena at the moment. Judging from Amelia stating that there was "trouble", something had obviously happened.

NAOMI
Well never mind that for now. What did you mean by saying that there was trouble?

AMELIA
Mia just informed me that she heard rustling coming from behind where she was sitting. And when she peeked past the bushes she found the same kind of tracks we've been seeing.

NAOMI
How long ago?

AMELIA
She said she jumped when she heard it and came right over to tell me since I happened to be nearby. So it couldn't have been more than a few minutes.

NAOMI
It's close then.

Naomi spoke loud enough for everyone in the group to hear her.

NAOMI
Alright everyone get ready were moving out immediately.

IRIS
What about Willow? She's still injured.

WILLOW
I'll be fine.

Willow grimaced slightly as she used her staff to help her walk.

WILLOW
I've been in worse shape than this. So don't slow this thing down on my account.

Naomi looked at Willow and smiled.

NAOMI
Good to see you back on your feet. You're a tough girl. Just be careful not to push yourself too hard. Okay?

Willow gave a quick nod.

NAOMI
Good. Now everyone, weapons ready. We're going.

Naomi drew her sword as she turned and moved towards where Amelia had said the sound was heard. Everyone else followed as they all gave Xena a look of contempt as they moved past her. Except for Iris and Willow who didn't even bother to look at her at all. Xena chose to ignore the clear message of mistrust and hatred directed her way as she drew her sword and followed everyone else as she watched the groups rear for anything that might come up behind them. Xena and the others silently ventured forward as they searched for the creature. Everyone remained on high alert for any signs of danger. Not wanting another injury or possible death to befall thier group. As they walked Xena's keen senses picked up on something that was very close.

XENA
(Whisper) it's here.

Xena stopped as she scanned their surroundings as the others stood by.

MIA
(Harsh tone) I don't hear anything.

XENA
Shhh.

MIA
(Harsh tone) Whatever.

ARIA
Ignore her. Let's just keep going.

Aria, Mia and Amelia turned around and kept walking. Iris and Willow looked at Xena for a moment before following the others.

XENA
(Loud/ Irritated Whisper) Where do you think you're going? It's not safe to split up. Get back here damn it.

The group just ignored Xena as they kept going.

NAOMI
(Loud Whisper) Get back here all of you.

The group looked back for a moment before continuing. Leaving Xena and Naomi behind.

NAOMI
(Whisper) This kind of nonsense is given that thing the perfect opportunity it needs.

XENA
(Whisper) You're right and it's gonna get someone killed.

NAOMI
(Whisper) Well splitting up certainly isn't gonna help things. So we better catch up with them.

Xena agreed as she and Naomi began to follow after the others. But as they began walking Xena sensed something behind them. With her sword ready Xena quickly turned around just as she saw a shadow move between the trees right in front of her. Then before she had the time to react, Xena felt something grab her by her ankles and yank her legs from under her. Xena hit the ground hard as she was then quickly dragged away as she yelled. Hearing Xena, everyone turned around.

NAOMI
Damn it that things got Xena.

WILLOW
Oh no. Xena.

MIA
Good riddance.

ARIA
Exactly. I say let one monster take out another.

AMELIA
She can at least be good to keep that thing distracted for a bit.

Naomi scowled angerly at the cruel, callousness that she was hearing from the others.

NAOMI
(Angry tone) What's wrong with you people. Are you really willing to allow that thing to kill someone while you stand by and do nothing?!

MIA
Given what she's done to so many, letting that creature have her is an act of mercy compared to the kind of punishment that woman actually deserves. And I'm not the only one here who feels that way.

Naomi felt sickened by how cold and heartless someone that she considered as a friend was being. As she looked at the others noticing by their expressions that most if not all of them appeared to agree with Mia on some level. Naomi shook her head in disbelief and disgust as she readied her weapon.

NAOMI
Fine if none of you will stand up and protect our queen, I will.

Naomi turned to chase after Xena and the creature.

NAOMI
And you people call Xena the monster.

Without another word Naomi ran in the direction that the creature had dragged Xena off. Iris looked at Willow.

IRIS
Should we go?

WILLOW
I can't really do anything in my condition either way. But regardless of if we trust Xena or not anymore. Gabrielle obviously does and I'm sure she probably knows more about Xena than anyone.

IRIS
You're right. And it's not like we know the full story about whatever Xena did.

Iris thought for a moment about everything that Xena had done for her village. As well as the rest of the Amazon nation since she's known her. She had helped them all so much. And even if Xena had done what Mia said, she didn't seem to be that same person now. Iris thought to herself that it wouldn't fair to judge Xena when she didn't know the whole story. Not to mention the fact that if Gabrielle was alive when she and Willow returned and learned that Xena was not only dead but they had done nothing to save her, Iris knew that Gabrielle would be completely devastated. And with Gabrielle dying, if Xena were killed then that would leave Aurora orphaned. And Iris refused to be partially responsible for leaving that innocent child to be forced to grow up without knowing either of her parents.

IRIS
I'm gonna go. Are you going to be okay here.

WILLOW
I'll be fine. Hurry.

Iris nodded and hurried after Naomi as the two ran to find Xena and save her. Hopefully before it was too late.

GABRIELLE
(Mumbling) Xena.... Xena.

Hearing Gabrielle Skyla looked up from checking on the napping Aurora. She was about to walk over to the bed as Gabrielle suddenly sat up seemingly in a panic.

GABRIELLE
Xena!

SKYLA
It's okay Gabrielle. You were just having a bad dream.

Skyla moved to the bed and gently guided Gabrielle to lay back down as Clover rushed into the room.

CLOVER
Hey everything okay? I just heard Gabrielle yell.

SKYLA
Yeah I think she just had a nightmare.

Skyla put her hand on Gabrielle's forehead.

SKYLA
Mm though it feels like her fever might've come back though.

Gabrielle struggled to sit back up but was too weak.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena.

SKYLA
Xena's not back yet. But don't worry I'm sure she'll be home soon. Just rest now.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) No. Something's wrong. She's in trouble.

CLOVER
Knowing Xena even if that's true I'm sure she'll be fine.

Clover's words did nothing to ease Gabrielle's sudden panic as she tried and failed once again to get up.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena. I have... to help...

Gabrielle's eyes felt heavy as she layed there unable to do anything dispite her overwhelming feeling that she had which told her that Xena was indeed in danger. Skyla and Clover watched as Gabrielle's eyes closed. As she felt into a deep sleep which everyone in the village would soon learn that no one could wake her from. Or that Xena may not ever even make it back to the village at all.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy