"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series. 

   Tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com   

 

"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" Series 
SCROLL VIII: CONQUERING A BYGONE ERA


SUMMARY:
Now married and both amazon queen's, Xena and Gabrielle's life within the secret village carries on. While on a trip outside of the village, Xena and those with her encounter an old acquaintance from Xena's past who attacks and uses her power to show the Amazon's some of Xena's past crimes against their people. The Amazon's of the village Xena, Gabrielle and baby Aurora have been calling home are furious and lose trust in both Xena and Gabrielle. They're both soon put on trial and stripped of thier queenhood. As a result Xena is imprisoned and sentenced to death. And Gabrielle's title is also taken before she's exiled from all amazon tribes for life. And forced to leave the village with Aurora. Can Gabrielle has to find a way to stop the Amazon's from executing Xena who's being held prisoner and stop whatever their true enemy has planned before its too late?

NOTES:
-This is the 8th story in my 
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series. Following :

"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL I: THE NEW ORDER
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL II: THE GREAT CAMPAIGN WITHIN THE DOMAIN
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL III: MUTINY IN THE MONARCHY
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL IV: A FRUITFUL STATE OF SKEPTICISM
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL V: BLOODLINES
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL VI: AN ABOMINABLE ASCENSION 
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL VII: SACRAMENTS FOR SUBSTANTIATION

So it's highly suggested you read those in order before this one if you haven't already. As this is a direct sequel and knowing the events and/or characters introduced in the previous stories are important for understanding the plot of this story. 

BYGONE =
 Past; gone by; earlier; former
__________________________________________________________

INTRO QUOTE:
"We may all be products of our past, but we do not have to be held prisoner to it."
__________________________________________________________

Pt. 1

Streams of sunlight peered through the forest of trees as persistent and focused eyes scanned the area where a group of people gathered. A low growl could faintly be heard by a lone soul nearby as a dark figure watched the group from the shadows as they moved further into the wooded area. Quickly the figure moved from their place of hiding as they stalked the group, careful to remain undetected by their targets. Continuing to follow, the figure ducked behind a large tree, picked up a small stone, and threw it. There was a small thud as the stone collided with the trunk of another tree nearby. The group of people froze in their tracks as they heard the small sound. One member of the gr,,oup stepped towards where the sound had come from as they motioned for the others to spread out and carefully search the immediate area. As said person drew closer the dark figure drew back and silently moved all while never taking their eyes off their now confirmed target. Weapons were drawn by both predator and prey as each secretly waited for the right moment to make their move. From within the shadows, the figure crouched and became poised to strike as they thought of how simple this was going to be. Finally, as the person came within a couple of feet from where the dark figure was hidden there was a rustling in the tree above. Hearing the noise the person looked up and cursed as they saw another figure that was hidden the shadows dropping down. Unable to react in time, the person was brought to the ground as the figure landed on top of them, pinning them in place.

CLOVER 
(Annoyed tone) Oh, come on!

Clover rested her chin in her hand as she saw Xena emerge from the bushes with a smirk on her face.

XENA 
(Joking tone) Comfy?

CLOVER 
(Sarcasm) Oh yeah, the ground and rocks are real comfortable. Especially with someone sitting on your back.

XENA 
(Joking) I wasn't talking to you, but thanks for sharing.

Clover rolled her eyes as she felt Gabrielle give her a playful pat on the head from her seated position on Clover's back.

CLOVER 
(Joking tone) You know this whole idea of yours doesn't exactly seem fair with the way this thing has played out.

Xena shrugged.

XENA 
Hey, it's not my fault me, and Gabrielle ended up on the same team. Everyone drew their partners at random. 

CLOVER 
(Sarcasm) Yeah, yeah.

Clover looked over her shoulder at Gabrielle.

CLOVER 
(Joking tone) So do you plan on using me as a chair all day or do you wanna get off me now?

Gabrielle smiled as she got up and let Clover stand as the rest of the villagers on Clover's team came into view and began to surround Xena and Gabrielle.

AMARICE 
We've got you two surrounded. Put down your weapons and surrender.

Gabrielle smiled as she leaned close to Xena but still spoke loud enough to be heard by the others.

GABRIELLE 
Does she actually think that "they" have "us" surrounded?

EPHINY 
Damn, it's a trap!

But Ephiny's realization and warning came too late as Skyla, Fauna, and Cora dropped from the trees and quickly turned the tables as the entirety of Clover's team knew that they had been outmatched and held up their hands in surrender.

XENA 
Looks like we win this one.

EPHINY 
Xena any team that ends up with you on it for anything is basically guaranteed to win.

XENA 
Come on that's not true. You just need to be more strategic and know your opponent. That's all I do.

EPHINY 
(Sarcasm) Oh sure you make it sound like that's an easy thing to do when it's you of all people we're up against. 

CLOVER 
Next time we make a rule that says Xena and Gabrielle can't be on the same team. At least then the team facing Xena's might stand a chance.

SKYLA 
How would that help?

CLOVER 
Because no one knows Xena better than Gabrielle. And that might be enough to give them an edge.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know about that but I'm sure we can figure out some way to make things a bit more fair in the future.

XENA 
Well either way I say we should all head back to the village. It's getting colder out here. 

Xena looked up at the sky for a moment as she saw clouds coming in overhead.

XENA 
Looks like it might start snowing soon.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah, we should get back to Aurora anyway.

With that, everyone went back to where they had tied their horses and began their ride back to the village.

XENA 
You know I kind of miss having you pressed up against me while we're riding.

Gabrielle shook her head and smiled as she and Xena rode side by side on their own horses. Xena on Argo and Gabrielle on Arrian, the stallion she had rescued during her and Xena's trip to complete their final test that they had been required to participate in before they had gotten married. Gabrielle looked back slightly to gauge the distance between them and the others before looking back at Xena with a smirk on her face.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Because you don't have me pressed up against you enough.

Xena let out an exaggerated gasp as she then purposefully spoke loudly for the rest of the group to hear her.

XENA
(Joking) Gabrielle! Such vulgarity about our sex life. And with others within earshot too. For shame.

Gabrielle playfully swatted Xena's arm and then looked back again at the rest of the group who just either smirked at her shook their heads or rolled their eyes. Telling Gabrielle that they had heard what Xena said, just as Xena had intended. Gabrielle then returned her attention forward and glanced over at Xena who had a big smile on her face.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) One of these days you're gonna get it Xena.

XENA
(Alurring tone) Is that a treat or a promise?

GABRIELLE 
(Joking/ Alurring tone) Who says it can't be both?

 Ephiny shook her head as she spoke to no one in particular.

EPHINY 
(Joking) It never ends with those two, does it?

it was coming up on a year since Xena and Gabrielle's wedding. And for the first time for as long as either of them could remember, things had been nothing but smooth sailing. Everything was good in the village and just in general. Gabrielle had become fairly skilled with her sai's and could now basically rival and beat anyone in the village during their sparing sessions. Though the question of whether or not she could hold her own against Xena was never answered as the two had opted to save any real physical or strenuous activities between them for their more passionate encounters. As for how things had gone with them both being queen after they were joined, official word had been spread throughout the Amazon nation to mixed reactions. Some from outside the village who had heard of Xena and her past crimes were not happy about her being queen at all. Which both Xena and Gabrielle had expected and weren't too concerned with any issues coming up around where they were. Gabrielle had concluded that anyone who was upset about Xena being queen would eventually either accept it once Xena proved herself a changed woman. Or just have to deal with it as a reality regardless. And while Xena didn't exactly share Gabrielle's like or not view, she already knew how many would react to her being queen alongside Gabrielle, and was determined to do whatever she needed in order to prove herself at least somewhat worthy of her position. Even though Xena herself still didn't feel as though she was. But Gabrielle wanted them to rule together and as Xena had been heard saying and shown through her actions countless times, whatever Gabrielle wanted, Gabrielle got. And Xena wouldn't have it any other way as she reflected on how much things had changed for Gabrielle and herself over the past year. From the required trials they had to overcome before they could be married. To begin at odds with one another during that time as Gabrielle had been going through her own secret struggles. Of which had stemmed from her insecurities over being gravely injured during their rescue of their daughter Aurora and nearly dying as a result. Thus naming Xena her successor and putting her in a bad situation that had nearly gotten Xena killed. But fortunately, the two were able to resolve their issues. And with some help from Xena, Gabrielle had found a renewed confidence in herself. She since had become someone drastically different from the small village girl that she had once been and had already gradually been evolving away from ever since meeting Xena. Which both of them appeared to be just fine with. And now after nearly a year of being married, neither Gabrielle nor Xena could've been happier.

XENA 
There's the other one of my two favorite girls.

Xena swept up the ever-growing Aurora as the now toddler laughed when Xena began tickling her belly once she and Gabrielle had returned to the village with the others and went to get Aurora from her babysitter.

XENA 
Were you a good girl while you're mommies were gone?

The little girl nodded as Xena tickled her again causing more laughter from both Aurora and Gabrielle, who loved watching the playful side of Xena that Aurora had brought out of her. Gabrielle thanked Fauna who was watching the child for them while they were out as they chatted for a bit about the team-building exercise that they had just returned from. Of which was Gabrielle's idea to get some of the villagers outside of the village for a bit and have some fun in the process. This having already been done several times with everyone loving the idea and already looking forward to the next "village games" as they had taken to calling it. After returning home to get cleaned up, Xena and Gabrielle took Aurora to the mess hall for all of them to have lunch.

WILLOW 
So when do you think the next village games are gonna be?

GABRIELLE 
Probably not until spring. It gets much too cold and snowy around here to do it safely during the winter.

WILLOW 
Darn. I wish I could've gone today. Stupid sprained ankle.

XENA 
Hey, I told you not to make that drop. That tree branch was much too high to just jump straight down from. So you're lucky it's just a sprain.

WILLOW 
Yeah, yeah. I already heard your "I told you so's". You don't have to rub it in.

The others at the table laughed as Willow rolled her eyes and Gabrielle decided to change the subject as she gave Aurora who was sitting in her lap a bite of food. 

GABRIELLE 
It seems to have gotten cold quicker this year.

IRIS 
True. It seems as though we're in for a long winter.

IRIS 
It's been a few years since we've had a particularly bad one. So I guess we're due.

GABRIELLE 
So bad winters are common here?

IRIS 
Kinda. Every few years we'll just get hit with one. It tends to start around this time. We end up with heavy snow that comes past knee-high. A deep freeze that makes it very dangerous to go anywhere unless you're very careful and make sure that you're wearing thick clothing. Even the wildlife in the area has a difficult time getting through it.

XENA 
Sounds pretty bad. How does this place manage?

IRIS 
By being well prepared. So you have nothing to worry about. This is gonna be just another winter for us. We always keep reserves of plenty of food, furs, warm clothing, firewood, medical supplies. Basically, everything that we could need is right here in the village.

GABRIELLE 
Well, that's good. I guess given that you're mostly cut off from the outside you would need to be pretty self-sufficient.

IRIS 
Exactly. So if you guys need anything just let someone know and we'll get you all set. The same goes for everyone else who's not a native of the village.
(Joking) plus we couldn't go having our two favorite queens and their little princess freezing over. Can we?

GABRIELLE 
Thanks, Iris, we appreciate it.

IRIS 
Don't mention it.

So after finishing their meal Xena took Aurora home and Gabrielle went with Iris to pick up what they needed from the village storage hut.

GABRIELLE 
Wow, this place is huge. I can't believe I've never been in here before. Though I suppose I never really had a reason.

IRIS 
And now that you know what's here, you and Xena can feel free to come here at any time and grab whatever you need. And don't worry about informing anyone of what you're taking, we have people who keep track of what we have so we know if we need to restock anything.

GABRIELLE
Talk about being well prepared. Not that it's not a good thing.

Iris laughed as she and Gabrielle left the storage hut and brought what they had gathered to Gabrielle and Xena's house. Once dropping the items off Iris left as Xena and Gabrielle dealt with putting everything that Gabrielle had brought home where they wanted the items. Later when Aurora was put to bed, Xena and Gabrielle sat on the couch as they cuddled up together in front of a warm fire that they had going in the fireplace. All seemed right in their world as they enjoyed a nice, quiet evening together. Unaware that the upcoming winter would bring far more than snow and bitter cold. As facing the harsh elements of the area would soon become the least of their troubles.

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy