"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series. 

   Tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com   

 

"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" Series 
SCROLL VII: SACRAMENTS FOR SUBSTANTIATION 

SUMMARY:
After falling deathly ill, given her rite of caste and queenhood to Xena and later being miraculously resurrected and heald by the mixture Xena had given her, Gabrielle insists that dispite Xena's objections, Xena should still remain queen. Not liking the idea, Xena tells her that the title rightfully belongs to Gabrielle. After learning of the option for them both to rule as queen's together, Xena gives in and agrees to the compromise. However the requirements for two women becoming co-queens of the Amazons turns out to involve much more than what Gabrielle was expecting. As Xena notices that their current challenges are far from the only thing that's weighing on Gabrielle's mind.

NOTES:
-This is the 7th story in my
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series.Following :

"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL I: THE NEW ORDER
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL II: THE GREAT CAMPAIGN WITHIN THE DOMAIN
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL III: MUTINY IN THE MONARCHY
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL IV: A FRUITFUL STATE OF SKEPTICISM
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL V: BLOODLINES
"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLL VI: AN ABOMINABLE ASCENSION 

So it's highly suggested you read those in order before this one if you haven't already. As this is a direct sequel and knowing the events and/or characters introduced in the previous stories are important for understanding the plot of this story. 
_____________________________________________________________

SACRAMENTS = rights, rituals, ceremonies, customs, weddings
SUBSTANTIATION =evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, valid, real, to find proof of.  
_____________________________________________________________

INTRO QUOTE:
"It's the love that goes through the hardest trials and survives that's worth having."

_____________________________________________________________

Pt.1

A chill hung in the air as heavy breathing could be both heard and seen from a rapidly moving figure. The sunlight slowly peeked out from behind the trees as the figure moved in a series of various motions which caught the attention of a passersby. Slowly the second figure moved silently as they got closer in order to observe better. Steady eyes watched the continuous motion of the first figure, as if mesmerized. After a moment the first figure ceased it's motion before taking off running, leaving the second to follow. The second figure reached a clearing and looked around for the first but saw no signs of the first until hearing a voice directly behind them.

?1
You know sneaking up on me can be very hazardous for one's health.

The second figure stood unphased at hearing the voice right in their ear before breaking into a smile without turning around.

?2
Trust me I'm very well aware of just what you're capable of. So I can handle myself just fine against you.

?1
Is that so?

?2
Yes.

?1
Then perhaps we should put you're theory to the test.

There was a small noise before either spoke again.

?2
As tempting as the might be I came here for another reason. I have something very important to give you.

?1
And tell me just what might that be?

?2
This.

The second figure turned around and handed the first a small moving bundle before smiling. The bundle cooed as the second figure then stepped into the sunlight as they began walking away before the first followed revealing both identities.

XENA
Hey Gabrielle wait I can't watch Aurora I have to lead sparing practice in a few minutes. I was just out here warming up first.

Gabrielle smiled as she looked over her shoulder and kept walking.

GABRIELLE
Hey you're not the only one with stuff to do today you know. Besides I've had Aurora all morning while you were out here.

Xena sighed as she looked at the baby in her arms for a moment knowing full well that Gabrielle was right.

XENA
Okay but what am I supposed to do with her while I'm leading practice?

Gabrielle kept the smirk on her face as she shrugged and walked off.

GABRIELLE
You're a smart woman Xena, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Xena smirked as she looked at Aurora.

XENA
You know little one your mommy can really drive me crazy sometimes. But I wouldn't change that for anything in this world.

The little girl giggled as Xena playfully poked her belly before walking off with the child to the village practice field. It had been a couple weeks since Xena had returned from helping some other Amazons after Gabrielle had given Xena her right of caste when she had fallen deathly ill due to infection that was caused by the injuries she sustained during their efforts to rescue Aurora after she had been kidnapped. Though it seemed as though Xena had returned with a way to save Gabrielle too late, somehow the mixture that Xena was given by those she had helped save had miraculously worked. And brought Gabrielle back from the dead which wasn't supposed to have been possible. But Xena didn't care how or why it happened, all that mattered to her was that Gabrielle was alive now. But not only had the mixture brought Gabrielle back to life, it had completely healed her as well. Xena pushed aside the recent memory of almost losing Gabrielle.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) At least she's okay now. That's all that matters. Maybe now we can finally catch a break and just relax for a while.

Xena chuckled to herself.

XENA
(Thinking to herself jokingly) Yeah right like we'd get that lucky.
(Thinking to herself) Oh well as long as both Gabrielle and Aurora are safe, healthy and happy then anything else that happens I'm sure we'll be able to handle just fine.

Xena was pulled from her thoughts when she heard a number of voices go "Awww". She smirked as she stopped at the side of the practice field, seeing all the women there with their eyes on the child in her arms. Xena looked at Aurora.

XENA
(Joking tone) And I thought Gabrielle was popular with everyone else here.

Xena handed Aurora off to Amarice who was more than happy to look after the baby as she sat with a number of others as they watched the sparing session that Xena lead.

CORA
Huh I wonder where Gabrielle is. She usually likes to watch this.

AMARICE
Don't know. Xena didn't say.

SKYLA
Knowing her royal highness I bet she's off putting together some new, exciting story.

AMARICE
That wouldn't surprise me one bit. Gabrielle is our resident bardic queen anyway.

Meanwhile elsewhere in the village Gabrielle sat quietly looking at her reflection in the water as the sound of rushing water from the waterfall surrounded the area. She sighed as she turned her attention to the paper that had only a few lines of the beginings of a story that she had been trying to write for days now. However no matter how hard Gabrielle tried, no ideas for what to write would come. Making a frustrated grumble, Gabrielle crumpled the scroll up and tossed in aside before falling back and laying on the grass as she looked up at the white, puffy clouds over head. She sighed.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) What's wrong with me? I never have this much trouble writing. But lately I just have no idea of what to write.

Though if Gabrielle was being honest with herself writers block wasn't entirely the only reason for her not writing recently. If she was being completely honest she just hadn't really wanted to. And it wasn't even just with writing, it seemed like ever since Xena had brought her back to life after she had died from that infection, something deep within Gabrielle had felt different. Honestly she wasn't really sure how to describe it, and that was part of the problem. Gabrielle had always been very intuned with her emotions so not knowing what it was that felt so off, was becoming some what annoying. But she was determined to not let it bother her too much. After all what did she really have to worry about?

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) Come on Gabrielle what's your problem? Everything's good. I'm alive. Aurora's happy and safe. And Xena's...

Gabrielle sat up.

GABRIELLE
I knew I forgot something. Poor Xena, I'm surprised that she didn't say anything yet.

XENA
You mean about my still technically being queen?

Gabrielle jumped as she looked back and sighed.

GABRIELLE
(Annoyed tone) Gods Xena you scared the living daylights out of me.

Xena smiled as she sat down next to Gabrielle and picked up the crumpled up paper.

XENA
Still can't write anything?

Gabrielle shrugged.

GABRIELLE
It's no big deal. Are you done with the sparing practice already?

XENA
It went on about the same length as usual.

GABRIELLE
Oh guess I've been sitting here even longer than I thought. Where's Aurora?

XENA
With Skyla and Clover being coddled by half the village.
(Joking) You would think that no one in this village had seen a baby before she came along.

Gabrielle chuckled.

GABRIELLE
She's a lucky little girl.

XENA
She sure is.

GABRIELLE
Anyway about the whole leaving you as queen...

XENA
It's fine. You've had other things on your mind. After all it's not everyday you come back from the dead. Besides after everything I kinda forgot about it too.

Gabrielle smiled as she learned against Xena.

GABRIELLE
So other than the reason behind it, did you like going from warrior princess to amazon queen?

XENA
It was alright I guess. Though due my history with the Amazon's it didn't exactly make things any easier.

GABRIELLE
(Joking tone) With you is anything ever easy?

XENA
(Joking tone) Apparently not. But I'm used to it though.

Gabrielle idly played with a leader strip from Xena's skirt that Xena had returned to wearing along with the rest of her usual leather and armor outfit after Gabrielle's recovery.

GABRIELLE
I am gonna miss seeing you in those amazon clothes though.

Xena raised her eyebrow.

XENA
Is that so? Well I'll have to remember that for special occasions.

Xena winked as Gabrielle laughed for a moment before falling quiet as she began to think about something. Seeing the change in Gabrielle's expression, Xena couldn't help but be curious about what Gabrielle was thinking about.

XENA
Something on your mind?

Honestly there had been quite a bit on Gabrielle's mind recently but this was something new that she hadn't thought of before.

GABRIELLE
Actuality there is but I'm not sure what you're gonna think about it. Or if it'll even be possible.

XENA
Why what is it?

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) Maybe I shouldn't say anything until I know if it can even be done. After all there wouldn't be any point in bringing it up to Xena if it won't even work.

XENA
Gabrielle is everything alright?

Gabrielle was brought out of her thoughts.

GABRIELLE
Yeah I'm fine.

Xena had a concerned look on her face as Gabrielle stood up which didn't go unnoticed.

GABRIELLE
Trust me Xena, everything's okay. Really. I just thought of something I wanna go talk to Ephiny about.

XENA
That seems sudden. This has something to do with what you were thinking about when I came over here doesn't it.

GABRIELLE
Actually no.
(Thinking to herself) Though maybe if I talk to her about that too I can figure out what's been bugging me.

Gabrielle smiled as Xena stood up.

GABRIELLE
Anyway I'll see you later.

Gabrielle gave Xena a quick kiss on the cheek before walking off to find Ephiny. Leaving Xena standing there as she watched Gabrielle leave.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) Just what is she up to?

Xena smirked before leaving to go get Aurora and bring her home.

EPHINY
It's open.

Ephiny turned towards the door to her house after hearing a knock to see Gabrielle come in.

EPHINY
Oh hey Gabrielle. If you're looking for Xena I think she was looking for you.

GABRIELLE
Actually I came here to see you.

EPHINY
Oh was there something you needed?

GABRIELLE
Actually there is. I was wondering if I could talk to you about something.

EPHINY
Is something wrong?

GABRIELLE
No nothings wrong. Well not necessarily anyway. Not right now at least but...

Gabrielle could see the confusion on Ephiny's face and sighed.

GABRIELLE
Sorry I have a few different things going through my mind right now.

EPHINY
Have you talked to Xena about it?

GABRIELLE
No not yet. Which is why I'm here. I wanted to get any information ℹ could before I talk to her.
(Thinking to herself) Besides I don't even know what Xena will even think about this anyway. It's never even come up before. Which is a bit surprising but then again maybe that already means I have my answer.

EPHINY
Gabrielle?

Again Gabrielle was brought back to reality.

GABRIELLE
Oh sorry.

EPHINY
Are you sure you're okay?

GABRIELLE
I'm fine. I was just thinking about something. Anyway I was wondering if I could ask you a few things about Amazonian traditions.

EPHINY
Sure. You know you can always ask me about anything you need to know.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
Good. Thanks Ephiny I know I can always count on you to help me out with this stuff.

EPHINY
Anytime.

Gabrielle got comfortable as she began to tell Ephiny about what she had just thought of. Though she didn't say everything that had been on her mind which involved the strange feeling that she couldn't quite explain. Of which Gabrielle had hadn't been able to shake for a while now and had said nothing to anyone about. And especially not to Xena.

 Pt.2

Ephiny sat and listened to Gabrielle who explained the idea she had just gotten.

GABRIELLE
So is it possible?

Ephiny thought for a moment.

EPHINY
As far as I know it's not completely unheard of, but that being said it isn't very common at all. Typically people have opted not to do that because of how complicated it can be.

GABRIELLE
Why, what's so complicated about it?

EPHINY
I'm not really an expert in this area but I'd assume that it can lead to a multitude of issues. Like internal power struggles, jealousy, betrayal, possibly assassinations, murder. All of which could throw the entire amazon nation into chaos.

Gabrielle sighed as she looked down.

GABRIELLE
(Talking quietly) Wow I hadn't thought about any of that.

Gabrielle looked back at Ephiny.

GABRIELLE
So I guess it's not possible then?

EPHINY
I never said that. There have been times where it's worked out fine. Though I think those times mostly came after the tests were put in place.

GABRIELLE
Tests?

EPHINY
As far as I know in order to ensure that both parties involved can be trusted by not only each other but to have the ability to carry out their duties without having their judgment clouded by each other there's some kind of test that they have to go through. But that's pretty much all I know about it. Like I said it's something that isn't typically done.

Gabrielle thought for a moment.

GABRIELLE
Do you know anyone who might know more about this?

EPHINY
I'm not sure. There might be details written somewhere but I doubt you'll find anything here. I think alot of the things involved can be more mental than physical so maybe find someone who's more versed in spiritual matters. Even then I'm not sure how much they'll know.

GABRIELLE
I guess it can't hurt to try.

Gabrielle smiled as she and Ephiny stood up and Ephiny walked Gabrielle outside.

EPHINY
Well before you do anything I'd suggest you have a talk about it with Xena first.

GABRIELLE
(Laughing) Come on Ephiny it's not like I could do this without her.

Ephiny smiled.

EPHINY
Fair point. Well good luck.

Gabrielle left Ephiny's house as she went to look for Xena. Though dispite her outward enthusiasm, Gabrielle was actually very nervous about what Xena's reaction to her idea might be. After all maybe there was a reason for why something like this had never came up before.

XENA
Open up here comes the pegasus flying in for a landing.

Hearing the door open and shut behind her, Xena smiled as she got another spoonful of mashed up food into Aurora's mouth that the baby had switched to shortly before Xena's time out of the village when she was helping the other Amazons as Gabrielle walked over and smiled at the baby's messy face.

GABRIELLE
Well someone looks like she's enjoying her lunch.

Xena continued feeding Aurora as she spoke.

XENA
Did you enjoy your chat with Ephiny?

GABRIELLE
It was okay.

XENA
So what was it that you needed to talk to her about anyway?

Gabrielle looked off.

GABRIELLE
Oh you know amazon and queen stuff.

Xena glanced over at Gabrielle catching the way she reacted to the simple question.

XENA
(Suspicious tone) Riiight.
And did you find out what you needed.

GABRIELLE
Kinda?

Xena sighed as she turned her full attention to Gabrielle.

XENA
Okay what's going on?

GABRIELLE
There's something I wanna talk to you about but I'm really sure what you're gonna think.

XENA
Gabrielle you should know that you can talk to me about anything.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) I know that so why do I still feel so nervous about it?

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
I know.

Gabrielle was about to tell Xena what she spoke to Ephiny about when Aurora apparently decided that she was done with her meal and knocked the bowl of remaining food on the floor and splattering some of it on Xena's face as she laughed. Xena looked at the baby with a blank expression.

XENA
(Flat tone) You know there are easier and less messy ways to tell me that you're full.

A little later after everything was cleaned up and Aurora had been put down for a nap. Xena was sitting on the couch as Gabrielle came downstairs from putting the baby to bed. Xena patted the spot next to her for Gabrielle to join her. After Gabrielle sat down and got comfortable Xena waited for her to start.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) Well it's now or never Gabrielle. Just come right out with it and see what happens.

Gabrielle took a breath and began. She told Xena what she and Ephiny had talked about and then waited to see what her response would be.

GABRIELLE
So that's it. What do you think?

Xena was quiet for a bit which made Gabrielle think that she had just made a big mistake.

GABRIELLE
If you don't wanna do it it's fine. I probably shouldn't have brought it up. We can just forget I said anything about it. I...

Gabrielle's rambling was cut off when Xena placed her finger on her lips.

XENA
Relax and just take a breath Gabrielle. I haven't even said anything yet.

Xena took her hand away as Gabrielle took a deep breath.

XENA
You know I don't care about staying queen. I've been wanting to give you back your title from the moment you recovered.

GABRIELLE
I know. But I think you can really do alot more good for the Amazon's if you remain queen with me. But if you don't want to I'd understand.

Xena could see the expression in Gabrielle's eyes as she looked away, realizing that this was far more than being just about the both of them remaining queen. Xena took her hand and gently guided Gabrielle's face to look back at her.

XENA
Gabrielle if this had nothing to do with the Amazon's, would this still be something that you wanted? For us to be married?

Gabrielle looked into Xena's eyes as she searched for what Xena might've been thinking or feeling in that moment. And what she saw in that sea of blue was something that she had seen countless times reflected back at her, and that was pure, unconditional love. Which she knew radiated from the depths of Xena's soul. It was then that she finally found her speech again as the two's eyes remained locked and Gabrielle uttered one single word as she knew she would remember this moment for the rest of her life.

GABRIELLE
Yes.

Xena smiled.

XENA
It looks like we've decided then.

GABRIELLE
So you're okay with this? Us being married?

XENA
Of course I am.

GABRIELLE
Really? I never thought... I mean we've been together for a long time now and since it's never come up I guess I just figured that you didn't ever want to.

XENA
Gabrielle I've thought about marrying you for some time now.

Xena saw Gabrielle's eyes light up.

GABRIELLE
Really?

XENA
I have. And if I had known that this was something you truly wanted I would have married you long ago.

Hearing Xena say those words pushed Gabrielle over the edge to where she couldn't contain her joy as she practically jumped on Xena and hugged her tight.

GABRIELLE
Oh Xena you have no idea how happy I am to hear that.

Xena put her arms around Gabrielle.

XENA
Actually I think I might have a fairly good idea.

After a moment Gabrielle pulled back and kissed Xena.

GABRIELLE
I think I might be the happiest woman in all of Greece right now Xena. I love you.

XENA
I love you too Gabrielle. And I think that title of happiest person around here actually goes to me. Along with the luckiest.

Gabrielle couldn't keep the smile from her face as she learned close and kissed Xena several more times. Each becoming more heated and passionate than the last. Before long Xena's lips begin leaving a trail down Gabrielle's neck and chest. Then Gabrielle gently pushed Xena back against the arm of the couch as she began undoing Xena's armor. After getting rid of the armor sat up and Xena pulled off her leather top. As she dropped it on the floor Gabrielle resumed tracing her lips down Xena's neck to her chest and stomach and back up. Xena sighed happily as she felt Gabrielle's tongue began to circle around her nipple before taking it into her mouth. As she sucked, Gabrielle placed a hand on Xena's other boob and began to move her palm over it before squeezing it lightly. After a few moments Gabrielle switched her mouth over to Xena's other nipple as her actions were swapped between each breast. Xena's hands began to roam down Gabrielle's back but were stopped when Gabrielle grabbed hold of them as she took her lips off of Xena's body and looked at her. Xena saw a spark of something that she didn't quite recognize in Gabrielle's eyes. There was love, lust and passion that was always there when they were together in this way. But now along with all of that there was something new. Something that Xena couldn't quite place. But it was almost as if there was a flicker of a new fire that layed just behind that sea of green just wanting to burn. After a moment Gabrielle continued tracing her lips across Xena's body before reaching her skirt. Xena moaned quietly as Gabrielle's hand moved under and began stroking her fingers over Xena's center outside of her underwear before slipping inside to come in direct contact with Xena's warmth. Gabrielle could see the look of pleasure on Xena's face as she continued running her fingers up and down Xena's womanhood. She learned close to Xena and whispered sensually in her ear.

GABRIELLE
(Alurring Whisper) Why don't you get rid of the rest of these clothes and I'll be right back.

Xena raised her eyebrow and smirked as she watched Gabrielle walk off and head upstairs.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) Well someone's full of surprises today.

After a few minutes Xena had completely stripped down and sat waiting for Gabrielle to come back when heard Gabrielle's voice from a top the stairs telling her to close her eyes. Wondering what Gabrielle was doing Xena did as Gabrielle said. After a moment Xena could feel Gabrielle near her.

XENA
Can I open my eyes now?

GABRIELLE
Not yet.

Gabrielle leaned in and whispered in Xena's ear again.

GABRIELLE
Alurring Whisper) You'll know when.

Xena smiled with her eyes remaining closed as she felt Gabrielle's fingertips began tracing her body. She sighed at the gentle yet sensual touch that only served to highten her desire. Xena heard Gabrielle chuckle knowing full well the effects that she was having on her. Finally Xena felt Gabrielle's hands move over her thighs and spread them apart. She could feel Gabrielle move between them before feeling something rubbing up and down her womanhood. Xena smiled as she knew what Gabrielle was doing. After feeling the sensation for a few moments Xena let out a moan as she felt herself being entered. Figuring that was the "when" that Gabrielle mentioned, Xena opened her eyes and was met with Gabrielle's face inches from hers.

XENA
(Joking) It's been a while since we've used our little friend here.

Xena sighed as Gabrielle moved slightly which caused the phallus that she was wearing and was now nestled inside of Xena's netherlands to go a bit further inside of her.

GABRIELLE
(Sensual tone) I know.

Xena felt Gabrielle move her hips as the phallus slid most of the way out of her before pushing forward and guiding it back in. Gabrielle slowly repeated the motion a few times as she gradually began to pick up a steady rhythm. As Xena felt the phallic item moving inside her she placed her hands on Gabrielle's hips as she began pushing herself against her. But again Gabrielle took her hold of her hands as she stopped moving her hips and moved Xena's hands above Xena's head as she wrapped Xena's fingers over the back of the couch.

GABRIELLE
(Sensual tone) I've got things covered here. All you need to do is sit back and enjoy yourself. And if you really need something to hold on to, you can just hold there.

Xena was a bit surprised by this level of boldness that Gabrielle was showing. Not that she wasn't normally an enthusiastic participant during their love making, but no matter their position, Gabrielle had tended to let Xena take the lead or set the pace as she pleased. But again Xena spotted something different in Gabrielle in that moment. It wasn't even that Xena didn't like it when Gabrielle would "take charge" of things between the sheets. Not long after they had first moved their relationship into a sexual one there was an unspoken give and take between them that both had found a happy middle ground with. In fact Gabrielle was really the only person that Xena had ever been with where she was actually not only able but completely comfortable with given up control to but welcomed it. She knew that it was just one more way that Gabrielle had broken down the walls that Xena had built around her heart. But that being said Xena was still bit surprised by the sudden commanding position that Gabrielle was taking. Simply because it was a bit out of character for her. Though Xena found that wasn't able to focus on that fact at the moment as she felt Gabrielle thrust the phallus into her depths again and then again. Xena's grip on the couch tightened as she felt Gabrielle begin to move with more vigor. Gabrielle continued to thrust as she felt the friction from her movements cause the other end of the phallus that was attached to the leather piece she was wearing rub against her. She could feel it push against her center each time she sent the phallus into Xena. Pausing her movements Gabrielle took Xena's leg and put it on her shoulder along with the other as she moved closer to Xena and placed her hands on either side of Xena's that were still gripping the back of the couch. With a different angle for leverage Gabrielle resumed thrusting the phallus into Xena who felt it reaching deeper into her depths from the new position. Xena groaned Gabrielle's name as she felt the repeated pumping of the phalic item inside of her. She could feel the beginings of her orgasm starting to build as Gabrielle continued, noticing the increase in speed and force she was putting behind each thrust that was a tell tale sign that Gabrielle was edging ever closer to her own release as well. Still Gabrielle continued to move her hips as the phallus rapidly drove in and out of Xena's womanhood. Xena felt as though her core was on fire as she pushed up against Gabrielle as much as she could. The room was soon filled with the rapid breathing, moans and words of sheer bliss as well as the sound of flesh being rapidly driven together as Xena felt Gabrielle's use of the phallic item pushing her towards the euphoric release that she new was only moments away. Gabrielle was unrelenting as she too wasn't far from hitting her own climax. Unable to stop the rushing stampede of her desire Gabrielle pushed hard against Xena once more as she felt her heated center rapidly spasm as her orgasm hit. Gabrielle bucked her hips several more times as each wave of her high hit. Finally she stopped as she learned her forehead on Xena's chest and breathe heavily as she felt the lingering blissful sensations within her center. After a moment Gabrielle felt Xena lovingly brushing her fingers through her hair and looked up at her.

GABRIELLE
(Seductive tone) No one said you could move your hands from the couch.

Xena smirked an arched her eyebrow as she put her hand back where it had been.

XENA
(Joking tone) My mistake.

Xena caught a glimmer of the same look she had seen earlier in Gabrielle's eyes as she felt herself distracted once again by the feeling of the phallus being removed from within her womanhood. Xena put her legs down and watched as Gabrielle then knelt on the floor in front of her and began running her fingers along Xena's sensitive nether region. Xena knew that it wouldn't take long for Xena to go over the edge and after a couple strokes along Xena's entrance, Gabrielle took her hand away and replaced it with her tongue as she ran it up and down Xena's womanhood. Xena groaned as she felt the renewed attention to her heated center. She tightened her grip when she suddenly felt Gabrielle move her focus to her most sensitive spot. She felt Gabrielle's tongue began to roll over her clit and layed her head back as she relished the contact. Again and again Xena felt Gabrielle flicking her tongue over her sweet spot. This sent shutters through Xena's body as she felt her orgasm rapidly approaching again. Just as Xena thought that she was about to hit her apex she felt Gabrielle grip her hips as she pulled Xena closer and put her lips around her little nub and began to suck it. That action was the final thing needed to throw Xena over the edge as within moments Xena arched her back as she felt her center convulsed in orgasm and Xena yelled as she came. She clung to the chair as her orgasm coursed through her and Gabrielle continued to suck and lick her over stimulated clit. Before Xena knew what hit her a second, more powerful orgasm hit her. She groaned Gabrielle's name as her body shook from the euphoric sensation that hit her in multiple waves. Finally as Xena didn't think she could take anymore she felt Gabrielle take her mouth away from her. She jumped slightly as she felt Gabrielle lightly run her finger along her womanhood a couple of times as she looked up at her and smiled.

GABRIELLE
You can put you're arms down now if you want.

XENA
Good now I can do this.

Xena smiled back and lowered her hands to Gabrielle's face as she leaned forward and the two shared a number of passionate kisses as Xena tasted herself on Gabrielle's lips. The two shared "I love you's" before Gabrielle took off the phallus from around her waist and Xena grabbed a nearby blanket as she and Gabrielle then snuggled up together on the couch as Xena draped the blanket over them. Xena smiled as Gabrielle rested her head in her usual spot on Xena's shoulder as she watched Gabrielle close her eyes. As she saw how peaceful Gabrielle looked, Xena thought back to the strange look she could've sworn that she saw in Gabrielle's eyes as well as how she seemed to act a bit differently while they had just been making love. Xena shook her head as she pushed aside those thoughts.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) I'm probably just imagining things and making more of a deal out something that I should. Come on Xena you don't have to always find something wrong in a situation. You should be happy right now. You're finally gonna marry the one person who you've known for a long time that you've wanted to spend the rest of your life with. For once just allow yourself to enjoy this and take something good that's been given to you.

Xena smiled as she placed a gentle kiss on Gabrielle's head and got comfortable. After a bit Xena drifted off to sleep. Once she heard Xena's steady breathing Gabrielle peeked opened her eyes and saw Xena's eyes closed. Slowly and carefully Gabrielle removed herself from Xena's arms as she got dressed and went outside. Hearing the front door close, Xena peeked opened her eyes.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) Hmm usually after we're together like that Gabrielle falls asleep afterwards. I wonder where she's off to now.

Xena shrugged it off as she yawned, figuring Gabrielle probably went grab something to eat from the mess hall.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) I guess that much activity can work up an appetite.

Xena smirked as she closed her eyes once again and fell asleep. It was a decent time later as Gabrielle stood amongst a group of trees. She huffed as she put her hands on her knees as she tried to catch her breath. After doing just that she stood up straight and looked down at the backs of her hands that were now all sore, scraped up and slightly bloodied.

GABRIELLE
(Talking to herself) Come Gabrielle pull it together. If you keep this up Xena's gonna notice that something's up. And you already know how she'd react. She'd become all concerned about me and feel as though she needs to fix things.

Gabrielle fell a sudden rush of anger hit her as she sent her fist against the trunk of the tree. She learned her forehead against the tree's rough bark as she closed her eyes and let the burst of anger pass.

GABRIELLE
(Talking to herself) But she can't. How can she when it's my own fault that I'm like this. Even after everything we've been through together and as hard I've tried it still wasn't enough. Infact it never has been. And it's not fair. It's just not fair.

Gabrielle pushed down her tears that had been building behind her eyes as she looked up.

GABRIELLE
(Talking to herself) No Gabrielle crying won't do anything. You're the queen of the Amazon's for god's sake. It's time that I truly started acting like the leader that everyone deserves. Who can stand on her own. And doesn't need someone to keep coming in and saving you.

Gabrielle watched the darkening sky above as she clenched her fist and made a silent vow.

GABRIELLE
(Talking to herself) Never again. From this day on I swear that I'll do everything possible to make sure that I never become a burden to anyone, and especially Xena ever again.

Pt.3

A couple of days passed as Xena and Gabrielle carried on with their daily lives in the village that was now bustling with the news that Gabrielle and Xena were to soon be married in a traditional Amazonian joining ceremony. No one the secret village had witnessed such an event involving the queen, so to say that the women there were excited was an understatement. This was especially true for Xena and Gabrielle's close group of friends.

SKYLA
I can't believe you two are getting married. This is awesome news.

CORA
We're all really happy for you.

Gabrielle smiled as she and Xena sat at the table with the others in the mess hall.

GABRIELLE
Thanks. We're pretty excited.

Close swallowed her mouthful of food.

CLOVER
Honestly I assumed you were already married before you ever even came here.

Gabrielle shrugged.

GABRIELLE
It's never really come up before.

Almost everyone at the table looked at Gabrielle with surprised expressions, as they all except for Ephiny who knew them better than everyone else there shared a very shocked "Seriously?" Gabrielle shrugged.

GABRIELLE
We're usually always on the road or running into one problem or another. So we've kinda had other priorities.
(Talking quietly) Not to say I never thought about it though.

Hearing Gabrielle's quiet comment Xena looked at her and smirked.

XENA
(Joking tone) Hey I might have many skills but mind reading isn't one of them you know. You could've said something.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
I know. But it's fine. Besides I think this works out better anyway. We're not on the road so we can have a big celebration and invite our families and friends.

Gabrielle paused as she remembered the fact that they were in a secret amazon village. The key word being "secret" and sighed.

GABRIELLE
Or not.

Realizing this fact Fauna spoke up.

FAUNA
Don't worry Gabrielle we can figure out a way for your family and friends from outside the village to attend the wedding if you want them here.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
We can?

FAUNA
Of course. After all we've brought you and Xena here along with everyone else who isn't a native resident of our village in didn't we?

GABRIELLE
That's true.

XENA
But are you sure that's a good idea, exposing this place to a bunch of outsiders who aren't even Amazon's?

Gabrielle gave Xena a disapproving glance.

GABRIELLE
Their our family's Xena. You know that they would never do anything to put this place or it's people in danger.

XENA
I'm not saying they would. Not on purpose anyway. But people talk Gabrielle, and if word got out about this place's location you know what kind of danger that could put everyone here in.

GABRIELLE
Well couldn't we just blindfold them like we did when Willow, Cora and... Celine came here?

Everyone at the table noticed Gabrielle tense up a bit when she said Celine's name. The events of Aurora's kidnapping obviously still bothered Gabrielle. Which given everything that happened afterwards it was perfectly understandable for Gabrielle to still have lingering feelings about the whole situation. Sensing Gabrielle's tension, Xena placed her hand over Gabrielle's that was on the table in a balled up fist. The action brought Gabrielle out of her thoughts as she looked at Xena who had a caring and understanding expression on her face.

GABRIELLE
Sorry I guess I got lost there for a moment but I'm okay now.

Gabrielle pushed down her emotions and smiled as she looked back at the others and moved the conversation forward.

GABRIELLE
Anyway it's not as though they'd be staying long. It would likely only be a few days to a week at most. So what do you guys think.

Clover shrugged.

CLOVER
Hey you're the queen here. Or Xena is. Or...

SKYLA
What Clover's trying to say is that if you guys want your family's here for your Joining then we can find a way to get them here safely.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
You're sure that's okay?

SKYLA
Yeah. Besides it's not everyday that the queen gets married. Which ever one of you it is anyway.

GABRIELLE
Technically it's still Xena.

Xena rolled her eyes.

XENA
Don't remind me.

Gabrielle patted Xena's arm.

GABRIELLE
I guess I should figure out when the ceremonies actually gonna be so I can get writing the letter to my family inviting them to the wedding. You should write your mother too Xena. I know she'll wanna be here and maybe we'll get lucky and she'll bring your brother too.

XENA
If you insist. I don't know about Toris but I know mother will definitely want to be here.

Xena learned in and spoke quietly to Gabrielle.

XENA
(Whisper) As for your family I'm sure you're mother and Lila will love to be here for you but you know your father has never been to thrilled about us being together. You know he still blames me for taking you away from your home.

GABRIELLE
Find of all Xena you are my home. You should know that by now, as should my family. And second it's not as though father hates you. So if he truly wants to see me happy then he'll be here. And if not that's okay to. I'll still have mother and Lila here. Along with your mother and everyone else in the village. But most importantly I'll have you. And at the end of the day if it were just you and me making our vows to one another without another person around that would be all I needed.

Xena smiled as she once again didn't know how she'd gotten so lucky to have Gabrielle love her the way she did.

XENA
You always seem to know just the right thing to say when it comes to things like that don't you?

She kissed Gabrielle lightly and heard a couple giggles from the others at the table and looked at them.

XENA
Oh grow up.

Not long after everyone went about their own business as Xena and Gabrielle went to speak with Fauna and Cora in private since they were the most well versed in alot of the Amazon traditions and rituals.

FAUNA
I managed to come across some scrolls a while ago that might be able to help us find out how this might be done.

CORA
And I've also read it over so I think I might be able to help out with what you'll need.

Xena and Gabrielle looked at each other for a moment as the four women sat in Fauna's house on the floor in a circle before turning their attention back to the Fauna and Cora.

GABRIELLE
Okay so what do we have to do? I know Ephiny mentioned that there was some kind of test but she didn't know anything else about it.

XENA
I'm assuming that it's to prove something like our loyalty and dedication to one another right?

CORA
Yes exactly.

GABRIELLE
That shouldn't be too difficult. I mean after everything we've gone through together already I doubt some kind of test will be an issue at all.

CORA
Actually it's more like a series of tests but all at once. Kind of.

GABRIELLE
Okay now I'm confused. How are we supposed to do a bunch of tests at the same time?

FAUNA
Well it both is and isn't as complicated as it seems.

Xena made an irritated grumble. She always hated cryptic wording in things. She found it pointless and just made things unnecessarily difficult when it could just be stated plainly.

XENA
(Slightly annoyed tone) Meaning?

CORA
It's more difficult to explain then it is to put into practice.

Seeing that only annoyed Xena further Cora quietly continued.

CORA
But I'll try.

Cora and Fauna did their best to explain what Xena and Gabrielle were going to have to do in order to clear the tests and become able to get married as co queen's. After hearing everything Gabrielle looked down.

GABRIELLE
Oh that sounds like alot.

Xena put her hand on Gabrielle's leg.

XENA
You know we don't have to do this if you don't want to. I can just give up being queen and it could go back to the way things were before you got hurt.

Gabrielle looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE
I thought you said you wanted to marry me?

Xena smiled.

XENA
And I do. But it doesn't have to be like this. Not if you don't want to go through all of this to do it. This might be dangerous. We don't know what might happen during these tests.

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) So you don't think I can handle it is that it?

XENA
I never said that.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) No but you were thinking it. You know just because I got hurt doesn't mean that I can't still handle myself Xena.

XENA
I know you can. No one here thinks you can't.

Xena cautiously took Gabrielle's hand in hers.

XENA
Gabrielle is something wrong?

Gabrielle took a deep, calming breath. As she relaxed.

GABRIELLE
No I'm okay. It's just after the whole getting injured and practically dying thing I guess I was worried that you were gonna go back to being overly proactive of me again.

XENA
You have nothing to worry about with that. Ever since we've come to this village I've seen you grow so much as you took charge of things when these people needed you. Infact I'm not sure where this place would be if it weren't for you. So trust me Gabrielle I'm fully aware of just how capable you truly are.

GABRIELLE
Thanks. I'm glad to hear you say that.

Xena smirked.

XENA
(Half joking) Hey you're not the only one who's chaged since we've been here.

GABRIELLE
I'm glad to hear you say that. And I'm sorry for getting mad and jumping to conclusions like I did.

XENA
It's okay. Though it's not like you to get so upset like that so quickly. Is everything alright?

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) No, it's not.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
(Lying) Yeah it's fine. Just a silly misunderstanding that's all.
(Thinking to herself) Gods I can't believe I jumped down Xena's throat like that. What's wrong with me?

FAUNA
Is everything okay here?

Xena and Gabrielle's attention returned to Fauna and Cora. Gabrielle couldn't help but feel slightly embarrassed about her outburst.

GABRIELLE
Yeah sorry about that. Probably not the best display for people are about to go through a test to see if their fit to be married.

FAUNA
It's okay Gabrielle. It's perfectly normal for lovers to quarrel and have disagreements. What matters is how they deal with and work through whatever problems they might face together. Which is exactly what these tests are for. So if anything you're already looking pretty good for being able to get through this just fine.

Gabrielle gave a small sigh of relief as Fauna and Cora finished explaining what the test would intale. All the while Xena couldn't shake the feeling of how uncharacteristic it was for Gabrielle to have gotten so angry at her for such a simple comment. As perceptive as she was Xena had a gut feeling that something was bothering Gabrielle but Xena didn't know what it was.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) Maybe she's just nervous about whatever we're gonna be doing for this test. But still it's not like Gabrielle to act like that seemingly out of nowhere. I think there's something else to it that she didn't say. But I could be wrong so I'll keep quiet about it for now and see how she acts going forward.

Once everything about the tests had been explained and all questions answered Xena and Gabrielle stood up.

FAUNA
Do either of you need me to go over anything else further?

GABRIELLE
No I think we got it.

FAUNA
Good to hear. So why don't you go home and get a good night's sleep. We'll meet back together tomorrow bright and early in the morning to begin.

Gabrielle sighed.

GABRIELLE
Why does everything have to require waking up early?

The other's laughed a bit knowing full well that Gabrielle had never been a morning person. As Xena and Gabrielle headed out the door Fauna gave them one more friendly reminder.

FAUNA
Oh and I know it might be more challenging for you two than alot of others but don't forget you can't have any further sexual contact until after you're joining ceremony.

This time it was Xena who let out an unhappy groan as Gabrielle giggled and patted Xena's shoulder in mock sympathy as they left.

GABRIELLE
Okay so you're sure you're fine with watching Aurora again?

Skyla looked down and tickled the baby's belly as she held the child while sitting on the steps in front of Xena and Gabrielle's house in the morning sun.

SKYLA
Like I've said before, me and Clover are more than happy to watch this little princess here anytime.

Skyla smiled as she looked back up at Gabrielle.

SKYLA
No why don't you go and do what you gotta do so you can marry that big princess turned queen of yours.

Gabrielle smiled as she turned around and walked over to Xena who was waiting for her a few feet away.

XENA
Ready to do this?

GABRIELLE
Yeah let's go.

With that the two made their way to the waterfall where Cora had told them to meet her. They saw a small tent set up and Cora waiting for them outside of it.

CORA
Are you both ready to begin?

XENA
We are.

GABRIELLE
Yes.

CORA
Okay. Then let's go inside and we can start.

With that Xena and Gabrielle followed Cora as all three entered the small tent to begin the tests. But little did Xena or Gabrielle know that within the next several days everything that was between them would be on the line as they would soon be forced to see the darkest parts of one another which neither would have ever exspected to see with their own eyes.

Pt.4

Birds could be heard chirping outside as Xena and Gabrielle sat down on a couple of cushions inside the small tent where they met with Cora to begin the tests to make sure that they were fit to be married and both be queen together. They watched quietly as Cora stood at a small table grinding and mixing together various plants into fine paste before pouring hot water into the bowl and giving it a final good stir. Once she was done Cora carried the bowl and sat down in front of Xena and Gabrielle, placing the bowl and it's contents on the ground in front of them.

CORA
Are you both ready?

Xena and Gabrielle shared a quick look at one another before nodding slightly that they were indeed ready to take on whatever layed ahead of them.

CORA
Good. Now I want each of you to drink half of the contents of this bowl. Once you do in a few minutes you'll fall asleep. Both of your mind's, spirits and souls will be taken into the spirit realm. Once you're there I'll give you further instructions for what you'll be doing there.

GABRIELLE
But how will you be able to communicate with us there?

Cora picked up a small cup that was behind her.

CORA
This is a similar mixture to what you'll be drinking. But it's not as potent and I won't be ingesting as much as you so while my being will still be here, I'll be more intuned with the spirit realm and thus be able to communicate with you freely.

GABRIELLE
Will you be able to see what we're doing?

CORA
Yes. But I'm not allowed to intervene unless either of you are in serious danger. In which case I'll come back to reality and wake you both. Any more questions before we start?

GABRIELLE
Have you done anything like this before Cora?

CORA
Not this exact scenario, but I've dealt with the spirit realm on numerous occasions. So don't worry Gabrielle both you and Xena are in very capable hands. I did specialize in dealing with spiritual matters back in my village. So I know what I'm doing. I'll do everything I can to make sure you both make it back here safely.

GABRIELLE
Oh I see.

Xena looked at Gabrielle who was obviously nervous about doing this. While Xena had some experience in dealing with the spirit realm and other matter of what some might consider as "the dark arts" and "sorcery", Gabrielle did not. So it was understandable that she'd be nervous about doing something of this nature. Xena placed her hand on Gabrielle's leg and got a small smile in return.

GABRIELLE
It's okay Xena, I can do this.

XENA
Okay. And I'll be with you through whatever we might face in there.

Gabrielle didn't respond as she picked up the bowl and examined the liquid inside.

CORA
You can begin when you're ready. Just drink half of the mixture and then lay down, relax and let yourselves drift into a deep sleep and you'll soon find your contiousness leave your bodies and arrive in the spirit realm, where you'll find your spirit bodies. They'll be just the same as your physical ones. Once there I let you know what to do next.

Gabrielle sighed.

GABRIELLE
Well here it goes.

With that Gabrielle drank down half of the liquid and handed the bowl to Xena as she grimaced at how foul the concoction tasted.

CORA
Sorry I guess I should have warned you that it wasn't going to taste very good.

Once Xena finished her share of the mixture they both layed down beside each other. After a few minutes Gabrielle could feel the concoction beginning to take affect. Her eyes felt heavy, the inside of the tent seemed to spin and become distorted. She closed her eyes tight as she felt a strange floating feeling throughout her body. Sensing Gabrielle's tension, Xena reached over and held her hand. Through the now spinning and distorted world around her, Gabrielle looked at Xena who gave her a gentle, reassuring smile.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) Damn it Gabrielle you can't even do something like this without Xena literally holding your hand. Why can't you just...

Gabrielle couldn't finish the thought as her eyes closed and felt as if her whole body was sent spiraling into the ether. Her senses felt as though they were in overload as rapid blurs that Gabrielle couldn't distinguish rushed past her as she felt as though she was falling into an empty and never ending abyss. She looked around frantically for Xena but couldn't see her. Gabrielle tumbled through the vast nothingness as it swallowed her up and she yelled.

GABRIELLE
Xena!!

Moments later Gabrielle's eyes suddenly shot open and she sprung up to a sitting position. Her heart pounded as her chest heaved in panicked breathing. She hastily looked around as she attempted to get a sense of what just happened.

GABRIELLE
A meadow?

Indeed Gabrielle was sitting in the middle of a beautiful meadow complete with green grass, multiple types of flowers a stream in the near distance with trees scattered all around. Gabrielle felt a cool gentle breeze blowing through her long, golden hair as she ran her hand over the blades of grass beneath her.

 

GABRIELLE
I've had some pretty realistic dreams before but everything here... it all feels so real. If never experienced anything like this. And what happened after I closed my eyes before I woke up here, I don't don't even know how to describe what that felt like other than terrifying.

XENA
Yeah it's a real trip and a half ain't it?

Gabrielle looked behind her and saw Xena standing there.

GABRIELLE
(Slightly annoyed) You know I hate it when you sneak up on me like that.

Gabrielle stood up as she continued to look around.

GABRIELLE
Well we both made it here at least. This must be the spirit realm I'm guessing.

?
You're absolutely correct Gabrielle.

Gabrielle jumped slightly, startled by the sudden voice that was seemingly somehow coming from both everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Though after the momentary shock Gabrielle recognized the voice.

GABRIELLE
Cora?

CORA
Good you can hear me and it seems like you've both arrived safely.

GABRIELLE
Is this place really the spirit realm?

CORA
Part of it yes. It's incredibly vast with likely no end and everything one could imagine within it.

GABRIELLE
Woah.

Cora's voice giggled.

CORA
Woah Indeed.

Gabrielle looked around some more as she thought of something.

GABRIELLE
Gee if it's that big I hope we don't end up getting lost.

XENA
Don't worry about that. Our location here won't matter when Cora brings us back to reality. We'll be pulled right back to our actual bodies with no problems. We'll unless something is holding us here.

Gabrielle looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE
What?!

XENA
Relax Gabrielle everything's gonna be fine. But just like out there, this place has its own dangers too. We just need to keep our eye open for any trouble and we'll be alright.

CORA
Xena's right. But knowing you two I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Gabrielle sighed.

GABRIELLE
Okay. So now that we're here what exactly are we even supposed to be doing anyway Cora?

CORA
Simply put over the next few days you'll come here and have to find as well as face the darkest parts of one another, leaving nothing hidden between you.

GABRIELLE
The darkest parts of each other? But I already know alot about Xena's past.

CORA
Maybe. But does she know all of yours?

XENA
I really don't think there's anything about Gabrielle that myself of all people would find all that shocking.

CORA
Yes but this isn't just about each of your histories. There you'll get a look into one another's inner most thoughts, fears, desires and anything else that might choose to manifest before you.

XENA
And once we've seen everything that this place decides to show us well be done.

CORA
That's right. Though knowing about things is one thing, seeing them one the other hand may be extremely difficult. So don't forget that your both free to decide at any time that you don't want to continue. Though as you know that will mean that you'll never be able to be joined.

GABRIELLE
We understand.

XENA
How will we know when we're done and seen everything that we needed to see?

CORA
Simple, the place you're in will vanish along with the dark corners where all of your hidden truths once layed. At that time you'll awake back in the real world and have passed the test.

Gabrielle and Xena looked at one another.

XENA
Your absolutely sure about doing this Gabrielle. Actually seeing some of the things I've done isn't going to be easy to watch. Honestly I don't know if I wanna see those things from this side myself. I can only imagine what I must've looked like back then to those around me.

Gabrielle took Xena's hand in hers. Though Gabrielle tried to keep her voice level, Xena picked up on Gabrielle's body language that told her that Gabrielle was a bit more agitated than she let on.

GABRIELLE
It'll be okay Xena. I'm a big girl you know, I've seen plenty. So you really don't need to try and keep sheltering me from stuff. Now let's get going so we can finish this.

Gabrielle let go of Xena's hand as she turned and began walking ahead. Xena didn't know if was the place they were in or if it was the strong connection that she and Gabrielle shared, but as Gabrielle walked away Xena could've sworn that for a second she felt this strange combination of anger and sadness coming from Gabrielle. Something was definitely going on with her and Xena thought that if Gabrielle wasn't going to tell her then maybe this place would show Xena just what exactly it was that Gabrielle was obviously going through.

Pt.5

The area seemed so peaceful and serene as Xena and Gabrielle moved through the spirit realm. Unsure of where they were going or what they might find Xena remained on alert as she examined their surroundings.

GABRIELLE
Xena do you know what might happen here or where we should go?

XENA
Unfortunately I don't. I haven't done this sort of thing in a very long time. Plus it's different every time you come here. So that makes it near impossible to predict what might happen while we're here.

GABRIELLE
Oh.
(Thinking to herself) There you go again Gabrielle, depending on someone else for everything. You just complained that Xena didn't think you can handle yourself. And once again you're proving both her and everyone else who's thought that right.

Noticing Gabrielle becoming quiet, the feeling that there was something wrong ate away at Xena even further. She was about to say something when Gabrielle spoke.

GABRIELLE
Hey look up ahead. It looks like a giant waterfall.

Xena looked up atop a hill that they were coming to and saw that there was an enormous waterfall at the top. Though it looked more like a wall of rushing water than anything since it stretched out to either side as far as Xena could see. She looked back for a moment and saw that there wasn't anything of note behind them. Looking forward again, Xena began walking towards the flowing water as Gabrielle walked along side her.

XENA
I don't see anything else around here so it's a safe bet that we're supposed to do something with this.

GABRIELLE
That was my thought too.

Reaching the waterfall they both stood in front of the cascading water as they examined it. Cautiously Gabrielle reached out to touch it.

XENA
Careful Gabrielle in a place like this we don't know what might happen.

Gabrielle gave Xena a disapproving look as without breaking eye contact, she then proceeded to shove half of her arm directly under the water. After a moment of nothing happening Gabrielle retrieved her arm from the waterfall. Holding it up they both saw that all that happened was that Gabrielle's arm had gotten wet. Gabrielle smirked and lowered her arm as Xena scowled.

XENA
(Irritated tone) That was unnecessarily risky.

GABRIELLE
We needed to see if it was safe to touch. So I did.

XENA
(Irritated tone) By shoving your whole arm in like that. It could've gotten burned or cut off or who knows what here.

GABRIELLE
(Irritated tone) And what would you have done Xena? I know you. You would have done the same thing.

XENA
(Irritated tone) I would've used the tip of my finger to test it first. Not just put my whole damn arm on the line.

GABRIELLE
(Irritated tone) That's exactly what I was going to do before you stopped me.

Xena found herself becoming more angerd as she realized what Gabrielle had done.

XENA
(Irritated tone) So you did something that reckless just for spite?

GABRIELLE
(Irritated tone) Well if you had trusted my judgment in the first place I wouldn't have done that.

Xena took a breath as she pushed down her urge to continue trying to make her point of how reckless Gabrielle's actions were.

XENA
Fine let's just forget it then. Nothing happened so we're fine. Besides I'm sure that standing here arguing isn't going to help our case when it comes to our viability to be married.

Gabrielle smirked.

GABRIELLE
Glad you see it my way. Come on let's keep going.

With that Gabrielle walked ahead and went through the waterfall. Xena sighed as she shook her head in disbelief.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) I'm gonna have to have a good, long talk with her later.

Xena then followed Gabrielle through the falling water. Once on the other side Xena found herself on a ledge overlooking what appeared to be a battlefield. There were men fighting everywhere as they cut each other down. Her eyes scanned the area as Xena realized where they were.

XENA
(Talking to herself) No. Why here? Why this?

Hearing Xena speak Gabrielle walked over from where she was watching the scene and stood beside her.

GABRIELLE
Xena?

Hearing the pain in Xena's voice and seeing it in her eyes, Gabrielle gently touched Xena's arm to get her attention. Feeling Gabrielle, Xena turned away from the scene and looked at her. She was a bit thrown off when she saw that Gabrielle was back to wearing her green top and brown skirt that she typically wore when not with the Amazon's.

XENA
Gabrielle. your clothes.

GABRIELLE
My clothes?

Gabrielle looked down as for the first time noticed what Xena just had.

GABRIELLE
That's strange I had my Amazon stuff on before I walked through the waterfall. Huh I wonder why it changed.

XENA
(Distracted tone) I'm sure we'll find out.

Gabrielle looked back up and saw that Xena was no longer looking at her but watching the scene before them.

GABRIELLE
What is this? Wait a minute I've seen this place before. Xena isn't this....

XENA
Amphipolis. Long before we ever met.

GABRIELLE
Amphipolis? But it looks more like a battle field than a village.

XENA
That's because on this day it was.

Gabrielle saw Xena's fists clench tightly at her sides as she could feel the strange sense of fear, pain and regret coming from Xena. Realizing what this must've been Gabrielle gently took Xena's hand in hers as they stood watching the scene play out.

GABRIELLE
Xena we don't have to watch this. I know how much of an affect your brother's death had on you.

As much as Xena wanted to look away she kept her eyes fixed on the vision from her past as it played out just as she remembered it.

XENA
No. Lyceus's death is a part of what made me the way I was. So there must be a reason for why we're being shown this.

?
That's right Xena there is.

Gabrielle looked around as she heard a voice echo around them.

GABRIELLE
That's not Cora's voice. Who is that? It sounds like a man and he knows your name Xena.

Gabrielle saw Xena's eyes go wide as she looked away from the fighting to find the source of the voice.

XENA
It can't be.

Both Xena and Gabrielle stood and watched as a young man stepped out from behind a tree. Xena's heart skipped a beat as she layed her eyes on the man standing before them, never thinking that she'd see his face again.

XENA
(Disbelief) Lyceus?

Gabrielle saw him smile, confirming that this was indeed Xena's deceased younger brother. Or at least a vision of him anyway. He smiled as he looked at Xena and Gabrielle.

LYCEUS
Hey there sis. Long time no see.

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy